Subject: [6pack] Gear selector shaft detents

From: John North <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:56:45 -0500

I am removing the shafts to drill and tap for overdrive switches...
The manual says to unscrew the screw plugs that hold the springs and
balls, but my 76 does not have screwed plugs, they appear to be
interference fit plugs, see this pic...

http://tinyurl.com/oufsve6

So there is no way that I can see to get the plugs out.

I did remove one of the shafts and of course the ball fell into the
shaft tube and left the spring sticking into the tube.   I can get the
spring and ball back into what I think is the right position with a
screwdriver and seal puller, but haven't been able to get it back into
the hole to allow the shaft to pass under it.

So two questions, first, what's the best way to handle the other two
shafts and not make the same mistake...   and second, how do I get the
ball back in?

Any help appreciated

John North

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]