Subject: [6pack] I need a measurement

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 12:18:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

If you have a used late-style TR6 head gasket laying around, I need a 
favor. I need to know the thickness of the fire ring (after being 
crushed).

I had a TR6 block decked to true it and they took off .006", but now the 
recesses measure about .012" - I think I need to have the recesses re-cut, 
but I want to know how much crush we can get away with.

I know the answer, but I want an actual measurement from a used head 
gasket.

In a total lapse of good judgement, I actually threw out the one I took 
off this engine. GO figure. Probably the first time I ever cleaned up a 
job before it was done.

:-)

Thanks in advance.

rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 21:21:48 -0500

Bob;

I rebuilt my the engine on my 74-1/2 this fall (engine overheat) and still
have the old gasket. The fire rings on my used gasket varies in thickness
across the cylinders from 0.065 to 0.072". I had my head decked and they
removed 0.009. A new Payen gasket worked fine. I never gave a second
thought to the fire ring thickness and would suspect you have nothing to
worry about.

Cheers and Happy New Year!!

Dave Friedlander

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Robert M. Lang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> favor. I need to know the thickness of the fire ring (after being crushed).
>
> off this engine. GO figure. Probably the first time I ever cleaned up a job
> before it was done.
>
> :-)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> rml

[email-masked]