Subject: Re: [6pack] Seat Belt Interlock Module

From: David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 11:32:03 -0400

Irv;

White with red wire and white with orange wire located cut and connected
together. FYI, this did NOT solve the problem, The interlock module is
still emitting a sick, whining signal. Now I have two cut wires to
deal-with and will have to find and work on alternative solutions....

Dave Friedlander
'74 Six

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Irv Korey <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
>
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 6:54 PM, David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello gents!
>>
>> As we all know, the boys in Coventry installed a wondrous electrical
>> device
>> in our Sixes known as the seat belt interlock module
>
>
> Don't blame TRiumph. Thsi was a Federal safety standard for ALL new cars
> sold in the US in 1974. The outcry was such that it was lifted after only 1
> year.
>
>>
>> Appreciate any insights....
>>
>
> Look at the module. Identify the white with red wire, and the white with
> orange wire. Cut them, then connect them to each other. This eliminates the
> module from the circuitry of the car. Since I did this, no more issues.
>
> Irv Korey
> 74 TR6 CF22767U
> Highland Park, IL
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 12:18:34 -0400

Irv;

On second thought, were you telling me that connecting the ignition wire
(white/red) directly to the starter relay (white/orange) eliminates the
need for the module altogether and to then just chuck it?

I mean the car starts this way and there is no annoying interlock signal
because I've removed it from the car, for now, but isn't this eliminating a
warning alarm of some actual battery drain condition?

Dave

[email-masked]

---

From: Dale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 13:58:37 -0700

Dave 

That is what Irv meant, pull the plug out of the module and see what happens. Do you hear the birds sing or just silence?

Dale

________________________________
 From: David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
To: Irv Korey <[email-masked]> 
Cc: 6-Pack <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [6pack] Seat Belt Interlock Module

Irv;

Dave

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 18:04:16 -0400

Dale;

If one unplugs the module, of course the signal stops. But then since the
ignition relay  and the neutral switch is also a part of the mix, pulling
the plug offers *complete* silence: Even when one turns the ignition key!
You cannot start the car without it. So, I have now followed what I think
Irv said. I have wired the white/red and white/orange wires together thus
bypassing the module, wiring the starter switch directly to the ignition
relay. I have unplugged/removed the module altogether.  That's one less
part to worry about: It's a non-serviceable, riveted assembly, NLS by the
Big Three anyway. My concern then was what if the module was offering a
true alarm: Some sort of circuit issue that could be draining the
battery.... sort of like pulling the battery out of your house smoke alarm
because it's an annoying signal.... Guess I'll find out! No module, no
sound! Ahhhh...

Thanks, all....

Cheers!

Dave

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Dale <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dave
>
> That is what Irv meant, pull the plug out of the module and see what
> happens. Do you hear the birds sing or just silence?
>
> Dale
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
> *To:* Irv Korey <[email-masked]>
> *Cc:* 6-Pack <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:18 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [6pack] Seat Belt Interlock Module
>
> Irv;
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Irv Korey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 17:41:33 -0500

> warning alarm of some actual battery drain condition?

The cutting and splicing of the white with red and white with orange at the
module cures the issue of non starting, which is typically what happens at
some point with those modules. I've often wondered if the white with red
and the white with orange at the starter relay could be wired together at
that point, but never had the need and/or courage to try it out. Once I did
the splice at the module, my no start issue was resolved, and that is what
I was after.

I think the other wires in the plug going into the module are for the key
in the ignition buzzer and maybe something to do with the door. It's been
so many years since those worked in m car that I forget what they do. But,
with the module unplugged, that takes care of the noise from the interlock
as well as the other advisory buzzers. None of which, IMO, are of any
value. There is no alarm in a TR6 that I am aware of that warns of any
actual battery drain.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL

[email-masked]

---

From: David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 21:14:49 -0400

Thanks again, Irv. All's quiet now! Starting the car wasn't the issue for
me.
It was that darn whining squeak of a signal, for no reason I could discern.
The neutral safety switch is also wire into the module plug, supposedly
preventing you from being able to start the car in any gear but neutral....
Nice to know I'll never have to hear that signal again....

Dave

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Irv Korey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The cutting and splicing of the white with red and white with orange at
> the module cures the issue of non starting, which is typically what happens
> at some point with those modules. I've often wondered if the white with red

[email-masked]