Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] interesting find

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:07:13 -0600

On 9/22/2014 1:54 PM, Bob Labuz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Was out for a walk today, too cold to ride a bike, and I found what I 
> thought was an old coin that turned out to be a spark plug gap tool. 
> About the size of a 1/2 dollar. Scale goes from .020 to .100 " and .5 
> to 25.5 MM.
> Called the "Gapper".
>
> Looks like it will fit on a key chain and the hole for the chain is 
> used to open the gap.
>

These were, not all that long ago, incredibly common (I've got two 
different types somewhere in my toolbox, one with wire gauges around the 
circumference, and one with a sliding ramp around the "coin," and there 
was another circular type with little spades sticking out of different 
thicknesses).  They've fallen out of favor with the now wide use of 
platinum-coated plugs, since they can easily scratch through the very 
thin coating of platinum on the center electrode, which causes the plug 
to fail prematurely.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:08:43 -0500

yes, I have several . . .

shows my age . . .

-----Original Message----- 
From: Bob Labuz 
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 2:54 PM 
To: Triumphs List ; [email-masked] 
Subject: [TR] interesting find 

Hello,

Was out for a walk today, too cold to ride a bike, and I found what I 
thought was an old coin that turned out to be a spark plug gap tool. 
About the size of a 1/2 dollar. Scale goes from .020 to .100 " and .5 to 
25.5 MM.
Called the "Gapper".

Looks like it will fit on a key chain and the hole for the chain is used 
to open the gap.

Always finding stuff while on a walk or run around the homestead.

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: James_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:02:16 -0700

I have two and use them on my tr6. 
Are they rare now? Auto stores used to carry them in a bin at the register not too long ago. 
Maybe I am showing my age. 

>From [email-masked]
From: auprichard at uprichard.net (Andrew Uprichard)
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 09:54:38 -0400
Subject: [TR] TR2 Instruction Book

Sorry if this is a silly question, but in the glove box of a TR3 I just
bought, I found a blue booklet, 10" by 6", entitled "Triumph Sports Car
Instruction Book, five shillings". The cover page says "TR2 First Edition"
and it has a pull-out lubrication chart.  The condition of the booklet makes
me think it has to be a reprint.  But I see them on eBay for crazy money.,

Question:  how do I tell if this is a reprint or a national treasure which
means I can retire early.  Oh, wait a minute - I am retired.....

Andrew Uprichard