Subject: [6pack] Starting issues

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:33:12 -0500

this is a fun one.  will be looking into it wednesday.  herebs the story:

72 TR6; we removed the overdrive transmission and sent it to QM.  car was
running, driving, etc., but the tranny was awful.  hopefully now its as good
as it looks!

we put the transmission back in, tested the OD without the engine running by
putting it in gear and hearing/feeling the big click as it engaged.  Then just
for grins (we were exhausted) I cranked it over just as a test.  I was a happy
camper.  done for the day.

car has a starter switch in the engine compartment which we put that in. It
pretty much goes from the battery, through a fuse, to the starter.

a few days later I went to start the car and the switch turns to the right but
the starter does not engage.  I can start the car using the engine compartment
switch, but not the ignition switch.

the ignition switch goes straight to the starter according to the wiring
diagram I have.  so its got to be the switch or more likely a connection?

anyone have a labeled picture or diagram of the back of the starter switch?

other ideas?
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:00:36 -0500

thank you, George!!!!!

I did check that, and there was 12 volts at the red/white wire.  then I ran
power directly to that red/white wire from the battery, and got nothing.

so I went to the other end, at the starter.  there were two red/white wires
coming in, and one must have been just hanging by a wire, because when I
started playing with it, the last little wire broke.

some time with the wiring repair kit, and now its all fixed!!!!!!!!!

From: Geo Hahn
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2014 11:38 PM
To: dave n
Cc: Triumph 6 Pack ; Triumphs
Subject: Re: [TR] Starting issues

I would think the next step is to see if the white/red wire/terminal on the
back of the switch (possibly #1)  gets 12V when the switch is turned to the
start position.

I assume the ignition switch is getting 12V on the brown wire since you are
able to start the engine with the remote switch.

Geo

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM, dave n <[email-masked]> wrote:

  this is a fun one.  will be looking into it wednesday.  hereb s the story:

  72 TR6; we removed the overdrive transmission and sent it to QM.  car was
  running, driving, etc., but the tranny was awful.  hopefully now its as
good
  as it looks!

  we put the transmission back in, tested the OD without the engine running
by
  putting it in gear and hearing/feeling the big click as it engaged.  Then
just
  for grins (we were exhausted) I cranked it over just as a test.  I was a
happy
  camper.  done for the day.

  a few days later I went to start the car and the switch turns to the right
but
  the starter does not engage.  I can start the car using the engine
compartment
  switch, but not the ignition switch.

  other ideas?

[email-masked]