Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] TR6 temp gage issues

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 21:56:01 -0600

Did you check for the thermostat opening in some hot water?

Greg
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 22:22:32 -0600

correct me if I'm wrong, but if the thermostat does not open, the car will 
overheat and I'll see boiling out?  that's why I didn't.

I drove it for 20 miles, including sitting in traffic.  but I will check 
that, thank you.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Greg Lemon
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:56 PM
To: dave n ; Triumph 6 Pack ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 temp gage issues

Greg

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 23:45:43 -0600

Dave, I don't think you mentioned driving for 20 minutes the first time, 
yes, I would agree, you would could definitely tell you had a hot engine if 
the thermostat failed shut and you drove around for 20 minutes.  But I have 
certainly seen the gauge peg quickly when the thermostat had failed in the 
shut position, and it sounded like you were checking most everything else so 
it seemed like it was worth a shot.  Isn't there a voltage stabilizer under 
the dash?  I think it is in the circuit with the gas gauge and the temp 
gauge too, is the gas gauge behaving as it should?

Greg Lemon
68 TR250

[email-masked]

---

From: im sloane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:16:31 +0000

Sounds like your voltage stabilizer has gone south. It's mounted to the back
of the speedo or tach, can't remember, and have no idea why they made it so
hard to get to. Be careful because your gas gauge is probably reading high
too.
Sloane :o)69-Six72-Spit

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 20:52:28 -0600
> Subject: [6pack] TR6 temp gage issues
>
> after the car sat for several months while doing transmission work, the
temp
> gage now pins right as soon as the car fully warms up.  radiator is
relatively
> cool, not steaming out or anything.  Ibm pretty sure the car is not
> overheating, and it did work fine some months ago.  Ibve opened up the
> thermostat cover and it all looks good.

[email-masked]

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:21:35 -0600

here is what I did today.  tried to document every detail.  looks to me like 
the sending unit is bad.  both???
btw - fuel gage seems to read fine

did I miss anything?

1 - replace the thermostat
2. started car with lots of choke; idling about 1500 rpm
3. gage starts out pinned left; after a couple minutes it starts to move 
right
4. infrared says temp of t stat housing is 112 and climbing
5. at 120 gage is vertical
6. turn off choke, rev engine; settles in at idle of 1200 or so, which is 
normal (engine is not stock!)
7. tstat housing temperature in the 125 to 130 range; gage is moving right
8. after 5 to 10 minutes, gage has settled just left of the red square under 
the letter H
9. temperature is now in the 150 to 160 range; gage has moved farther right. 
as the temperature passes 170 it [pins right
10. shut off car
11. set up secondary system - positive terminal to voltage regulator, vr is 
grounded as it should be, then vr to gage to sending unit
12.  it still pins right.  this is using separate gage, separate sending 
unit, and completely independent of the cars wiring system except the 
battery and chassis
13.  connected mulitmeter from positive terminal to t stat housing and to 
temperature switch threads.  both read over 12 volts
14.  old switch - which was in the car originally - I used the continuity 
tester - i get 0 when the two probes touch, 1 when one nothing is connected
15.  connecting through the old switch (cold) i get .588
16. swapped original sending unit back in; car was still pretty warm (off 
except for power)
17. temp gage moved to almost full hot
18. disconnected car wiring from sending unit; plugged in "external" temp 
gage system; also read way right
19. temp sensor which was in there - measures 5.6 or so on the continuity 
tester cold
20.  put it in boiling water - continuity tester reads .13
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 19:09:35 -0600

it turned out to be the voltage stabilizer.  I was trying to test with another
one that  was broken, so that really complicated things.  I apparently had a
very new one and that solved it.

thanks to all that helped.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]