Subject: [6pack] Painting advice

From: James_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 23:05:56 -0800

I need a fresh paint job.

Single stage or base coat/clear coat?

I found a local guy who works on all sorts of classic cars. He wants to do a
single stage urethane and needs several months to sand, a few rust repairs and
paint.
$7500
Alternatively...

My neighbor saw a tr4 getting painting at ... Wait for it...Maaco.
So I paid them a visit. They have loads of classics and newer cars they are
painting, restoring, rust repair etc. It was actually quite impressive. Most
finished products had been delivered but a couple cars were still there. On
one such car I could see some dust specks in the paint but it was an
impressive job overall.
Now, Maaco has always been synonymous with ... Well ... Crappy work.
Additionally, they suggest clear coat/base coat.

So what do folks think about which paint method and will Maaco's work really
hold up and be good? Guess it is just paint and the important bit is the prep
work. And gets down to the shop. One Maaco may be rubbish while the one I
visited my have great
Craftsmen.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: Gene Holtzclaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 08:39:00 -0500

My father owned a body shop when I was very young, and up until my mid 20s.
What Al is saying is spot on. If you want cheap shine, get a cheap paint job.
In my opinion, a cheap paint job cheapens the car. To properly paint a car, no
paint lines in the door jambs, no over spray where it shouldn't be, the car
about has to be disassembled. We actually painted hoods, doors, deck lids,
etc, hanging from wire, then put back on the car.
It pretty much always holds true thar you pretty much get out of it what you
put into it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

alan salvatore <[email-masked]> wrote:

There's paint and then there's paint.  One place is going to paint the car
for $400-700.
The other place just the materials are $1000-1500.
Maaco is by definition a fast production facility.  They don't take off
trim, not fussy about masking off parts.
You ever open up a door and see painted door lock, painted hood springs?
Most macco jobs I've seen after a year or two have lost quite a bit of
luster. ( quality of paint ?)
They did look pretty good after just being painted.
You also have to like orange peal as they don't do color sanding.

I use a single stage with a clearcoat cocktail in the final coat; as it
duplicates the original enamel the best to me.
Its not any cheaper than a basecoat/clear.  So there can be quite a
difference in the quality of materials.
There's a big difference between apples and oranges.

Just saying.

Al

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 2:24 AM, Tom Lofgren <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> James,
>
> My son and I are just finishing repainting a 240Z in base coat/clear coat.
> We used Dupont Chromabase, which is a high quality paint with Nason (lower
> cost Dupont product) primers underneath.  Just the material cost was about
> $1500.  You didn't say how much Maaco was going to charge you, but I would
> be asking lots of questions if it's not at least a couple thousand.
>
> I have heard stories about good shops that have the "cheap" shop names, and
> yours could be one of them.  They are indeed all different.
>
> Good luck!
> Tom
>
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:05 PM, James_ <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > I found a local guy who works on all sorts of classic cars. He wants to
> do
> > a
> > single stage urethane and needs several months to sand, a few rust
> repairs
> > and
> > paint.
> > $7500
> > Alternatively...
> >
> > Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> >
> > [email-masked]
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Gene Holtzclaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:18:44 -0500

If you do that, and talk to them about a higher grade paint, I wholeheartedly
believe in base clear

James_ <[email-masked]> wrote:

Yes. I totally agree...as I mentioned
"The important bit is the prep
work. "
Maaco goes down to metal as needed and wants to see what is under the old
paint. So that was good to see.

I was mainly interested in opinions about single stage vs base/clear.

I forgot to mention that I would be removing everything - including the WS
frame and deliver a rolling tub.
I do not want the tape around gaskets and door locks. That is crappy.
I haven't gotten a quote from Maaco yet. They are looking over the car on
Thursday.

Maaco sands between primer, base, and again after clear and then buffs glossy.
They have a booth and then a heated booth. Which is nice. Some places don't
have heated booth ovens.
I do want this to last many years and be professional looking.
But good to know they may be using cheaper paint. Or something that causes the
luster to dull after a few years.

bSent from my Atari 2600b

> On Jan 13, 2015, at 5:29 AM, "alan salvatore" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
for $400-700.
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 2:24 AM, Tom Lofgren
do
repairs

[email-masked]

[email-masked]