Subject: Re: [6pack] Painting advise

From: Bob Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:47:03 -0500

Here is my exp w MAACO.
They have a bad rap because kids go in there with a dented/rusted POS. They
want the ""299.00"
Special. When the MAACO team recommends fixing & doing the job right it goes
over the "299.00"
Special price & the kid says "nah just paint over it". After, when it looks
like crap & the kids friends ask "who painted that POS". The kid says "MAACO"
but never says "they wanted to do it right but I was too cheap/poor". Thus the
bad rap.
I had my 1976 TR6 painted by my local MAACO.
But I did all the body work & primer. I also removed all trim and any other
parts that would need masking. Delivered to them on a flatbed. They
recommended an Higher end paint with a single stage clear coat.
I went with the better paint. And told them to lay it on heavy as I planned to
color sand it.
I also had them paint it the same color so it did not have to be jammed or
painted under the Bonnet & boot.
They had the car done in about 4 days. When I picked it up, I found a couple
of runs in the paint. Left it another day so they could fix the runs.
The car came out GREAT! In fact it looked so good I never did color sand it. I
did this about 14 years & it looked great up to the day I sold it
You gotta remember the Macco's works in crews & the guy that paints Prob
paints more cars in a week than a local body shop does in 3 months.
They also have the best of equipment & ovens to cure it right.
IMO if you bring them a nice car & let them know you care about it. They enjoy
working on a nice car for a change. Much more rewarding than painting kids
POS's all day.
Your results may vary. But that's how it went for me with 2 cars I had MAACO
do.
NFI
Bob G.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack