Subject: Re: [6pack] Painting Tires

From: Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:02:14 -0500

I tried doing this 45 years ago on my mother's Dodge Dart GT. I found it
was painstaking work and difficult to be neat and I had to put on more than
one coat of the red to cover the up the black. And the red still wasn't as
bright as I should have been.
By the time I was midway through the 2nd coat on the first tire, I had made
such a mess that I never completed all 4.
This looks like it might be the same stuff:
.https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tire+paint+pen+red

I remember they also had white for lettering your tires. I expect that because
of the raised borders on each letter, that that would be even more difficult
than doing simple red lines.  I think the paint may be OK for touch ups but
almost impossible to get original looking results.

Coker sell redline tires:
https://www.cokertire.com/185r15-coker-classic-3-8-redline.html?utm_source=go
ogle_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&utm_content=57986&gclid=C
jwKEAiAmOymBRD0_evS4aTh2hUSJAB7FkhyEMWVpDOX7tjOBacl-O-634GJ-HSOBwGNPb2-4kUFHx
oCLSbw_wcB

-Dave Murphy '76 Triumph
Dearborn MI
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: Bob Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 17:26:41 -0500

Home Depot sells a small handheld sandblaster that works really well. I
believe it's made for Home Depot under the husky brand. Replacement nozzles
are sold at Home Depot also.
It is in the air tool dept. Less than $20.00.
It is very simple yet effective. It just draws the media out of a bucket.
I use fine grade black beauty aka Coal Slag. Coal Slag is much safer & more
effective than sand.  Most tool rental shops sell it in 100# bags around
$15.00.
But use the fine grade only anything more coarse will be hard to paint
smoothly over.
70 -80 PSI is best. Anything over that pressure you are just wasting air &
will not get the best cut from the media.
CFM is the killer. If your air compressor cannot put out at least 15 CFM the
job will be painfully slow, as you will constantly be waiting for the
compressor to make enough air to continue.
Good Luck
Bob G Cape Cod Ma.
> From: James_ <jattr6@hotmail.
>
> Tired of all my questions yet?
> I have some rust on the firewall in the engine compartment on either side
of
> the transmission. Getting a grinder down there will be a pain. I'm thinking
of
> low pressure sand blasting. I read soda blasting isn't strong enough for
rust.
> I also have the area where the PDWA brake device is mounted.
> Harbor Freight sells a small unit.
> Anyone want to chime in. Experience. Advice?
> I read to be careful over heating.

[email-masked]