Subject: Re: [6pack] Goodpart Rear Hub Upgrades - Advice

From: Ron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 08:30:09 -0500

Hi James,
I did a write-up on replacing the rear hubs with Goodparts hubs in my 71 TR6 a
few years ago. It can be found in the tech note section of the Central PA
Triumph Club site... (
http://www.cptc.org/tech_tips/Refitting%20New%20Rear%20Hubs%20to%20the%20TR6.
pdf ).

I'm very pleased with the new hubs but went through a similar decision
process. If money was unlimited, I would have put in the Toyota limited slip
differential with the CV shafts but reality and household budget limited me to
the hub swap only.

Ron Weber
71 TR6

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 9:21 PM, James_ <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> So I am going crazy this winter with TR6 projects...
> Something that has always concerned me were the rear hub bearings.And
reading
> about 2 folks that have had failures...has me concerned.And to boot, I have
> heard a mystery noise at 55mph in the rear...yet no wiggle when i support
the
> car on jacks...
> some overview here: http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/CVJ.htm
> Regardless, I think I am [scared] convinced into upgrading the original
> hubs.So I am trying to understand what is involved and which upgrade to
> buy.https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=20
> First up: CV versus u-Joints? It sure sounds like I should go with CV.But I
> like the ease (no modifications or removal of diff/trailing arm) when going
> with the U-Joints.Simply pull out the old and slide in the new. I have a
stock
> differential. I had it rebuilt due to clunking sound, but I now suspect
that
> the shopwas incorrect and the clunk (which I still have) is actually worn
> splines. Oh well.
> So if I go with CV hubs...I read that I should replace the trailer arm
> bushings with GoodPart bushings.darn. those were replaced when I had new
frame
> members welded in.
> I also read something about the lug nut studs..."Good Parts hubs use 1-3/8"
> wheel studs which are about 3/16" longer than stock"(I assume the original
> threads for the lug nuts still match)
> Anyone have experience in this upgrade to share advice with me?
> Thanks in advance. (Not sure how many folks still read this forum or if I
> should post to the large Triumph forum)
> James
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:40:33 -0600

I have a q45 limited slip differential and goodpart hubs.  we were astounded 
when we put in the differential how quiet it was.  granted, the old diff had 
been telling me for years that it needed to be replaced.  I think both of 
those swaps are well worth doing when the rear end needs work.  that was 
several years and many hard miles since.  no issues.

this car will be my son's some day, so everything I do is with an eye 
towards longevity and reliability (is that statement redundant?)

the cv joints - seems awfully pricey.  I thought about it but decided it 
wasn't worth it.  and no regrets years later.

-----Original Message----- 
From: James_
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2015 8:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] Goodpart Rear Hub Upgrades - Advice

differential. I had it rebuilt due to clunking sound, but I now suspect that

[email-masked]