Subject: [6pack] steering wheel restoration

From: Dennis Costello <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:19:07 -0600

I believe, the Eastwood products are suitable for a rim made of bakelite or a
similar hard material, like the 50s cars. The TR6 wheel is a steel inner
armature with a molded soft rubber type material molded over the armature. I
believe one or more of the main suppliers has offered a replacement in the
past, although I havent purchased one.
I elected to satisfy my curiosity by recasting my wheel rim myself, and found
it to be every bit the challenge I thought it might be. I constructed a mold,
and used a 94 durometer casting urethane to make the rim. I then covered the
rim with leather, which seemed to be like recovering seats; an easy job for a
three armed monkey! All-in-all, it was successful, but not a project I would
readily suggest. I think that the common use of an aftermarket wheel such as
Moto Lita or others is a solution that avoids the restoration difficulties.
Just a free opinion.
Dennis
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: Tom Lofgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 18:13:00 -0800

I commented earlier about doing the Mini steering wheel, and I was thinking
later that the TR6 doesn't have that same bakelite material.  Sorry -
should have thought of that before commenting.

Tom

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Dennis Costello <[email-masked]> wrote:

> similar hard material, like the 50 s cars. The TR6 wheel is a steel inner
> past, although I haven t purchased one.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]