Subject: [6pack] Goodpart Rear Hub Upgrades - Advice

From: James_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 02:21:42 +0000 FILETIME=[4ADC9D00:01D052FD]

So I am going crazy this winter with TR6 projects...
Something that has always concerned me were the rear hub bearings.And reading
about 2 folks that have had failures...has me concerned.And to boot, I have
heard a mystery noise at 55mph in the rear...yet no wiggle when i support the
car on jacks...
some overview here: http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/CVJ.htm
Regardless, I think I am [scared] convinced into upgrading the original
hubs.So I am trying to understand what is involved and which upgrade to
buy.https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=20
First up: CV versus u-Joints? It sure sounds like I should go with CV.But I
like the ease (no modifications or removal of diff/trailing arm) when going
with the U-Joints.Simply pull out the old and slide in the new. I have a stock
differential. I had it rebuilt due to clunking sound, but I now suspect that
the shopwas incorrect and the clunk (which I still have) is actually worn
splines. Oh well.
So if I go with CV hubs...I read that I should replace the trailer arm
bushings with GoodPart bushings.darn. those were replaced when I had new frame
members welded in.
I also read something about the lug nut studs..."Good Parts hubs use 1-3/8"
wheel studs which are about 3/16" longer than stock"(I assume the original
threads for the lug nuts still match)
Anyone have experience in this upgrade to share advice with me?
Thanks in advance. (Not sure how many folks still read this forum or if I
should post to the large Triumph forum)
James
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: Dennis Culligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:30:47 -0500

"dave n" wrote:

>this car will be my son's some day, so everything I do is with an eye
towards longevity and reliability (is that statement >redundant?)

I think that might be an oxymoron ;-)

Dennis Culligan. Highland, NY / 1976 TR6 CF57948U
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]