Subject: [6pack] Air injection Rail

From: "McDonald, John A via 6pack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:09:32 +0000

James, if engine is in a good state of tune, it should pass emissions without the pump plumbed in. I ran a BMW 320i (78) here in Oregon for years without them noticing that the air pump and other crap was missing. Of course, I had a clean engine bay :) 

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:07:07 -0700
From: James_ <[email-masked]>
To: 6 Pack <[email-masked]>
Subject: [6pack] Air injection rail - exhaust manifold

So I thought I'd share...
The air rail on a late 6 is prone to rusting out. So over the years I would collect manifolds with air rails to stock pile them. These buggers have been NLA for a longer time than I've owned the car. Sure, I could remove all the emission crap, but I tend to be a purest. Also, now living in oregon, they do emission testing - unlike Maryland. 
Well,...
Years ago I repaired one by having someone braze the brake lines I bent and attach to the original pipe. Currently I am taking a welding class and have access to wonderful machines and decided to MAKE a complete air rail. It has been a challenge finding correct parts but I did it and properly drilling holes and bending steel tubes. Tonight I plan to start welding/brazing the tubes together!
Exciting to make a part from scratch. It's a lot of work but fun. 

Thought I'd share my latest project. 

James

?Sent from my Atari 2600?

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
6pack mailing list
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

------------------------------

End of 6pack Digest, Vol 9, Issue 13
************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: grego--- via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:50:48 +0000

--===============2986408704500026357==
        boundary="--=_vm_0011_W1349314269_28067_1429213848"

----=_vm_0011_W1349314269_28067_1429213848
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am in the portland oregon area and when I called the DEQ about a car I =
have that is powered by a 78 ford v8, they said they didn't care what I d=
id to the motor or if I replaced the motor, as long as it passed the orig=
inal vehicle test criteria when they sniffed the pipe. The only OEM requi=
rement was that if the original drivetrain had a catalytic converter, the=
n you had to still have one. In that case I was pulling off the entire in=
take & smog controls and replacing it all with an EFI/ECU system.

Fortuantely my TR6 is a 74 and doesn't have to be DEQ certified.

-grego

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, John A via 6pack [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:09 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [6pack] Air injection Rail

James, if engine is in a good state of tune, it should pass emissions wit=
hout the pump plumbed in. I ran a BMW 320i (78) here in Oregon for years =
without them noticing that the air pump and other crap was missing. Of co=
urse, I had a clean engine bay :)

----=_vm_0011_W1349314269_28067_1429213848
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><div><font color=3D"#0000ff" face=3D"Verdana" size=3D"2"></font> <b=
r>I am in the portland oregon area and when I called the DEQ about a car =
I have that is powered by a 78 ford v8, they said they didn't care what I=
 did to the motor or if I replaced the motor, as long as it passed the or=
iginal vehicle test criteria when they sniffed the pipe. The only OEM req=
uirement was that if the original drivetrain had a catalytic converter, t=
hen you had to still have one. In that case I was pulling off the entire =
intake &amp; smog controls and replacing it all with an EFI/ECU system.<b=
r><br>Fortuantely my TR6 is a 74 and doesn't have to be DEQ certified.<br=
><br>-grego<br></div>
<blockquote style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0=
000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><font face=3D"Tahoma" size=3D"2">----=
-Original Message-----<br><b>From:</b> McDonald, John A via 6pack [mailto=
:[email-masked]]<br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:09 PM<=
br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]'<br><b>Subject:</b> [6pack] Air injec=
tion Rail<br><br></font>James, if engine is in a good state of tune, it s=
hould pass emissions without the pump plumbed in. I ran a BMW 320i (78) h=
ere in Oregon for years without them noticing that the air pump and other=
 crap was missing. Of course, I had a clean engine bay :)<jattr6@hotmail.=
com><[email-masked]></blu406-eas25424d88f=
[email-masked]></[email-masked]></blockquote></html>

----=_vm_0011_W1349314269_28067_1429213848--

--===============2986408704500026357==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2986408704500026357==--