Subject: [6pack] Attacking bad rust...

From: James_ via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 08:50:32 -0700

A common problem with old British cars is rust. 
Well, I have a few small areas that are worse than I thought. A couple small areas ate through the firewall from inside the W/S wiper arm cavern. You know, that in accessible area under the windshield. 
It is on the passenger side near the hood latch. 
Another spot is under the clutch master cylinder in the corner where the inner wheel fender and the pedal box meet. It is fairly small but goes through to the wheel area and through to the inside of the car pedal area. 

Question is...how best to repair this?
Form metal and welding in probably isn't going to work for the intricate curves of the body for the later section mentioned. 

I am thinking of (after grinding/sanding clean) to use fiberglass to give some 'body' to accept the thin layer of body filler to smooth out. 

Other wise, welding in bits of sheet metal would be a pain for many reasons. The car cannot be move right now and I don't know any metal welders that make house calls. Or how they could go about bending/forming metal to even closely match and not look butchered or frankensteined. 

Anyone else deal with this?

Advice?
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: Timbo00001--- via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 12:39:56 -0400

--===============4304691739892637277==

--part1_31b70.19067d75.428b6fdc_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Sorry, but your topic attracted me.  Will you attack only the "bad  rust" 
and leave the good rust alone?

In a message dated 5/18/2015 11:57:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

A common  problem with old British cars is rust. 
Well, I have a few small areas that  are worse than I thought. A couple 
small areas ate through the firewall from  inside the W/S wiper arm cavern. You 
know, that in accessible area under the  windshield. 
It is on the passenger side near the hood latch. 
Another  spot is under the clutch master cylinder in the corner where the 
inner wheel  fender and the pedal box meet. It is fairly small but goes 
through to the  wheel area and through to the inside of the car pedal area. 

Question  is...how best to repair this?
Form metal and welding in probably isn't  going to work for the intricate 
curves of the body for the later section  mentioned. 

I am thinking of (after grinding/sanding clean) to use  fiberglass to give 
some 'body' to accept the thin layer of body filler to  smooth out. 

Other wise, welding in bits of sheet metal would be a pain  for many 
reasons. The car cannot be move right now and I don't know any metal  welders that 
make house calls. Or how they could go about bending/forming  metal to even 
closely match and not look butchered or frankensteined.  

Advice?
_______________________________________________
Support  Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

--part1_31b70.19067d75.428b6fdc_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.17801"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>Sorry, but your topic attracted me.&nbsp; Will you attack only the "b=
ad=20
rust" and leave the good rust alone?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 5/18/2015 11:57:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,=20
[email-masked] writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3D=
Arial>A common=20
  problem with old British cars is rust. <BR>Well, I have a few small area=
s that=20
  are worse than I thought. A couple small areas ate through the firewall=
 from=20
  inside the W/S wiper arm cavern. You know, that in accessible area under=
 the=20
  windshield. <BR>It is on the passenger side near the hood latch. <BR>Ano=
ther=20
  spot is under the clutch master cylinder in the corner where the inner=
 wheel=20
  fender and the pedal box meet. It is fairly small but goes through to th=
e=20
  wheel area and through to the inside of the car pedal area. <BR><BR>Ques=
tion=20
  is...how best to repair this?<BR>Form metal and welding in probably isn'=
t=20
  going to work for the intricate curves of the body for the later section=
=20
  mentioned. <BR><BR>I am thinking of (after grinding/sanding clean) to us=
e=20
  fiberglass to give some 'body' to accept the thin layer of body filler=
 to=20
  smooth out. <BR><BR>Other wise, welding in bits of sheet metal would be=
 a pain=20
  for many reasons. The car cannot be move right now and I don't know any=
 metal=20
  welders that make house calls. Or how they could go about bending/formin=
g=20
  metal to even closely match and not look butchered or frankensteined.=20
  <BR><BR>Anyone else deal with=20
  this?<BR><BR>Advice?<BR>_______________________________________________<=
BR>Support=20
  Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR>Suggested annual donation&nb=
sp;=20
  $12.96<BR>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
  http://www.team.net/forums<BR><BR>[email-masked]<BR>http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<BR><BR>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]<BR><BR></=
FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_31b70.19067d75.428b6fdc_boundary--

--===============4304691739892637277==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4304691739892637277==--

---

From: Robert Perry via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 13:54:28 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

James,

I would use a small mig welder and ceramic backing blocks (self sticking)to fill in the missing metal.  No cutting and patching involved.  The metal has to be very clean though!

Robert Perry

-----Original Message-----
>From: James_ via 6pack <[email-masked]>
>Sent: May 18, 2015 10:50 AM
>To: 6 Pack <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [6pack] Attacking bad rust...
>
>Advice

[email-masked]