Subject: Re: [6pack] overdrive

From: Larry Young via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 10:33:01 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0129956191836268044==
 boundary="------------030702020405010005070100"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------030702020405010005070100
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

You should be able to tell whether it is in overdrive by comparing the 
tach and speedo.  Mine is at 60 when at about 2900 and 2400 when 
overdrive is off and on, respectively.  Also, what happens when you back 
up?  It won't back up if it is in overdrive (at least not without 
breaking). It is more common for it not to go into overdrive.  Put it up 
on jack stands or a lift and make sure the solenoid is activated when 
the switch on the dash is on.  If it is not electrical, you can test it 
manually by working the lever at the right side (same shaft on opposite 
side of solenoid).  You will have to run the engine in high gear to do 
this, so make sure the car is secure.  Usually, the lever activated by 
the solenoid needs adjusting. I think Buckeye Triumphs has a complete 
flow chart for tracking down overdrive problems.  People seem to have a 
mental block about these things, I know, I was that way too.  They are 
not complicated.
Larry Young

On 5/20/2015 6:24 PM, dave n via 6pack wrote:
> 72 tr6, overdrive tran.
>  it
> seems to always be engaged except when I disconnect the solenoid, 
> specifically the one to the column switch.
> the column switch also has an additional lead that goes to a ligenght 
> on the dashboard that indicates the OD is engaged.
> except for that small modification, which btw is easily disconnected, 
> the car is wired, I believe, as per the 70-71 wiring diagram (not factory)
> it was working just fine a couple weeks ago; we put about 700 miles on 
> it over a long weekend.,
> the following week I cleaned the car, including the engine 
> compartment, and accidentally pulled the above mentioned lead from the 
> solenoid.  drove it after that day, no overdrive, no light on dash.
> found the loose wire, and now the overdrive seems to be always on.  a 
> few seconds after I shift into second, the car drops rev’s just like 
> it is going into overdrive.  third and fourth feel like they are in 
> overdrive, but that’s just a feel.
> when I hit the switch, the light goes on but nothing else changes.  
> back up and the light goes off, nothing else changes.
> short of pulling the tunnel, any thoughts on how I should proceed?  my 
> friend thinks it’s the switch, but wouldn’t that affect the light as well?
> thanks for your time and responses.
> dave in dallas
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
>

--------------030702020405010005070100
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    You should be able to tell whether it is in overdrive by comparing
    the tach and speedo.  Mine is at 60 when at about 2900 and 2400 when
    overdrive is off and on, respectively.  Also, what happens when you
    back up?  It won't back up if it is in overdrive (at least not
    without breaking). It is more common for it not to go into
    overdrive.  Put it up on jack stands or a lift and make sure the
    solenoid is activated when the switch on the dash is on.  If it is
    not electrical, you can test it manually by working the lever at the
    right side (same shaft on opposite side of solenoid).  You will have
    to run the engine in high gear to do this, so make sure the car is
    secure.  Usually, the lever activated by the solenoid needs
    adjusting. I think Buckeye Triumphs has a complete flow chart for
    tracking down overdrive problems.  People seem to have a mental
    block about these things, I know, I was that way too.  They are not
    complicated.<br>
    Larry Young<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/20/2015 6:24 PM, dave n via 6pack
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>72 tr6, overdrive tran.</div>
          <div> it</div>
          <div>seems to always be engaged except when I disconnect the
            solenoid, specifically the one to the column switch.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>the column switch also has an additional lead that goes
            to a ligenght on the dashboard that indicates the OD is
            engaged.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>except for that small modification, which btw is easily
            disconnected, the car is wired, I believe, as per the 70-71
            wiring diagram (not factory)</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>it was working just fine a couple weeks ago; we put about
            700 miles on it over a long weekend., <br>
          </div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>the following week I cleaned the car, including the
            engine compartment, and accidentally pulled the above
            mentioned lead from the solenoid.  drove it after that day,
            no overdrive, no light on dash.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>found the loose wire, and now the overdrive seems to be
            always on.  a few seconds after I shift into second, the car
            drops rev’s just like it is going into overdrive.  third and
            fourth feel like they are in overdrive, but that’s just a
            feel.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>when I hit the switch, the light goes on but nothing else
            changes.  back up and the light goes off, nothing else
            changes.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>short of pulling the tunnel, any thoughts on how I should
            proceed?  my friend thinks it’s the switch, but wouldn’t
            that affect the light as well?</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>thanks for your time and responses.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>dave in dallas</div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------030702020405010005070100--

--===============0129956191836268044==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============0129956191836268044==--