Subject: Re: [6pack] manifold studs and powder coating

From: alan salvatore via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:12:27 -0400

--===============7492050630006208231==

--001a114c78acbc2715051ba21ba6

Try some paint stripper.
On Jul 24, 2015 1:08 PM, "jhmdds--- via 6pack" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me which way the manifold studs go into the head of my '75
> Tr6?  Does the short end or the longer end go into the head?
>
>  Also I recently had my water pump housing powder coated.  They coated
> the block and thermostat housing mating surfaces.  I tried to wire brush
> the coating off but only ended up giving them a different finished
> texture.  Can I continue assembly or does the powder coating have to be
> completely removed?  If it needs to be removed is there an easy way
> that doesn't risk marring the mating surface?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  James Maddox  '75 Tr6
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--001a114c78acbc2715051ba21ba6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<p dir=3D"ltr">Try some paint stripper.</p>
<div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Jul 24, 2015 1:08 PM, &quot;jhmdds--- via 6pa=
ck&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" sty=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><font =
color=3D"black" size=3D"2" face=3D"arial"><font size=3D"2" style=3D"color:b=
lack;font-family:arial">Can anyone tell me which way the manifold studs go =
into the head of my &#39;75 Tr6?=C2=A0 Does the short end or the longer end=
 go into the head? =C2=A0</font>
<div><font size=3D"2" style=3D"color:black;font-family:arial"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size=3D"2" style=3D"color:black;font-family:arial">Also I recent=
ly had my water pump housing=C2=A0</font><font face=3D"arial" size=3D"2">po=
wder coated.=C2=A0 They coated the block and thermostat housing mating surf=
aces.=C2=A0 I tried to wire brush the coating off but only ended up giving =
them a different finished texture.=C2=A0 Can I continue assembly or does th=
e powder coating have to be completely removed?=C2=A0 If it needs to be rem=
oved is=C2=A0there an easy way that=C2=A0doesn&#39;t risk marring the matin=
g surface?</font>
<div><font face=3D"arial" size=3D"2"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font face=3D"arial" size=3D"2">Thanks,</font></div>

<div><font face=3D"arial" size=3D"2"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font face=3D"arial" size=3D"2">James Maddox =C2=A0&#39;75 Tr6</font><=
/div>
</div>
</font><br>_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack" rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack</a><br>
<br>
[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div>

--001a114c78acbc2715051ba21ba6--

--===============7492050630006208231==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============7492050630006208231==--

---

From: Bob Labuz via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:24:55 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4946510443419680567==
 boundary="------------000002090301090301040609"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000002090301090301040609
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

James,

The short end goes into the head. Use some thread anti-seize and a 
double nut on the other end to tighten

As far as the powder coating, you may have to sand it off by putting 
some emery cloth on a flat surface such as some plate glass and then 
using a circle motion, sand until the coating is off. I have used that 
method when just refreshing surfaces such as a thermostat housing.

Bob

On 07/24/2015 01:08 PM, jhmdds--- via 6pack wrote:
> Can anyone tell me which way the manifold studs go into the head of my 
> '75 Tr6?  Does the short end or the longer end go into the head?
>
> the block and thermostat housing mating surfaces.  I tried to wire 
> brush the coating off but only ended up giving them a different 
> finished texture.  Can I continue assembly or does the powder coating 
> have to be completely removed?  If it needs to be removed is there an 
> easy way that doesn't risk marring the mating surface?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Maddox  '75 Tr6
>

--------------000002090301090301040609
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">James,<br>
      <br>
      The short end goes into the head. Use some thread anti-seize and a
      double nut on the other end to tighten<br>
      <br>
      As far as the powder coating, you may have to sand it off by
      putting some emery cloth on a flat surface such as some plate
      glass and then using a circle motion, sand until the coating is
      off. I have used that method when just refreshing surfaces such as
      a thermostat housing.<br>
      <br>
      Bob<br>
      <br>
      On 07/24/2015 01:08 PM, jhmdds--- via 6pack wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      Can anyone tell me which way the manifold studs go into the head
      of my '75 Tr6?  Does the short end or the longer end go into the
      head?  
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Also I recently had my water pump housing powder coated.
         They coated the block and thermostat housing mating surfaces.
         I tried to wire brush the coating off but only ended up giving
        them a different finished texture.  Can I continue assembly or
        does the powder coating have to be completely removed?  If it
        needs to be removed is there an easy way that doesn't risk
        marring the mating surface?
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Thanks,</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>James Maddox  '75 Tr6</div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------000002090301090301040609--

--===============4946510443419680567==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4946510443419680567==--

---

From: Bud R via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:19:50 -0600

--===============6522437137431425763==

--Apple-Mail=_C53DF00A-71E8-4E6E-AE9A-3E1347C86DF1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

I=92d leave the PC on it. A good sealant like the Right Stuff (NAPA and =
others) will seal the pump so it doesn=92t leak.

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle=20
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)

On Jul 24, 2015, at 11:24 AM, Bob Labuz via 6pack <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

> James,
>=20
> The short end goes into the head. Use some thread anti-seize and a =
>=20
> As far as the powder coating, you may have to sand it off by putting =
some emery cloth on a flat surface such as some plate glass and then =
using a circle motion, sand until the coating is off. I have used that =
method when just refreshing surfaces such as a thermostat housing.
>=20
>=20
>> Can anyone tell me which way the manifold studs go into the head of =
my '75 Tr6?  Does the short end or the longer end go into the head? =20
>>=20
>> Also I recently had my water pump housing powder coated.  They coated =
the block and thermostat housing mating surfaces.  I tried to wire brush =
the coating off but only ended up giving them a different finished =
texture.  Can I continue assembly or does the powder coating have to be =
completely removed?  If it needs to be removed is there an easy way that =
doesn't risk marring the mating surface?
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_C53DF00A-71E8-4E6E-AE9A-3E1347C86DF1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">I=92d =
leave the PC on it. A good sealant like the Right Stuff (NAPA and =
others) will seal the pump so it doesn=92t leak.<br><div =
apple-content-edited=3D"true">
<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 18px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; border-collapse: separate; orphans: 2; =
widows: 2; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: =
none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: =
2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"orphans: =
2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: =
none;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none;"><div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">Bud Rolofson</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">Extreme Parts Racing&nbsp;(more than just a haircut)</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div>71TR6 CC57365 (Good =
6)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">71 Spitfire MK IV =
Race Car #3</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">69 Spitfire MK III =
(back up FE engine/dinghy car)</div><div style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle&nbsp;</div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda =
Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)</div></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><br></div><div =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
border-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;"><br></div></span></div></span></div></span></div></span></div></span=
></div></span></div></span></div></span><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
</div>
<br><div><div>On Jul 24, 2015, at 11:24 AM, Bob Labuz via 6pack &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">
 =20
    <meta content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type">
 =20
  <div bgcolor=3D"#FFFFFF" text=3D"#000000">
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">James,<br>
      <br>
      The short end goes into the head. Use some thread anti-seize and a
      double nut on the other end to tighten<br>
      <br>
      As far as the powder coating, you may have to sand it off by
      putting some emery cloth on a flat surface such as some plate
      glass and then using a circle motion, sand until the coating is
      off. I have used that method when just refreshing surfaces such as
      a thermostat housing.<br>
      <br>
      Bob<br>
      <br>
      On 07/24/2015 01:08 PM, jhmdds--- via 6pack wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite=3D"mid:[email-masked]" =
type=3D"cite">
      <meta http-equiv=3D"Context-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8">
      Can anyone tell me which way the manifold studs go into the head
      of my '75 Tr6? &nbsp;Does the short end or the longer end go into =
the
      head? &nbsp;
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Also I recently had my water pump housing&nbsp;powder coated.
        &nbsp;They coated the block and thermostat housing mating =
surfaces.
        &nbsp;I tried to wire brush the coating off but only ended up =
giving
        them a different finished texture. &nbsp;Can I continue assembly =
or
        does the powder coating have to be completely removed? &nbsp;If =
it
        needs to be removed is&nbsp;there an easy way that&nbsp;doesn't =
risk
        marring the mating surface?
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Thanks,</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>James Maddox &nbsp;'75 Tr6</div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </div>

_______________________________________________<br>Support <a =
href=3D"http://Team.Net">Team.Net</a> <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Fo=
rums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br><br>=
<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]<br><br></=
blockquote></div><br></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_C53DF00A-71E8-4E6E-AE9A-3E1347C86DF1--

--===============6522437137431425763==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6522437137431425763==--

---

From: Michael Porter via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 17:38:27 -0600

> Try some paint stripper.

I guess no one checked the archives.  According to the late 
powdercoating guru, Fred Thomas, regular paint stripper won't do, but 
aircraft paint stripper works.  Available at most paint & body supply 
stores. Use with lots and lots of ventilation.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

[email-masked]