Subject: [6pack] brake booster sealer

From: COLIN THOM via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 12:48:13 -0600 (MDT)

--===============8029479220071755032==
	boundary="----=_Part_12796090_1913491714.1444243693290"

------=_Part_12796090_1913491714.1444243693290
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I don't use anything. 

Colin 
74-1/2 

----- Original Message -----

From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:00:01 AM 
Subject: 6pack Digest, Vol 15, Issue 8 

Send 6pack mailing list submissions to 
[email-masked] 

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to 
[email-masked] 

You can reach the person managing the list at 
[email-masked] 

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
than "Re: Contents of 6pack digest..." 

Today's Topics: 

1. Re: brake booster sealer (alan salvatore) 
2. Re: brake booster sealer (James_) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Message: 1 
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 20:19:38 -0400 
From: alan salvatore <[email-masked]> 
To: Glenn Rattmann <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer 
<[email-masked]> 

I use 3M strip caulk. 

Al 

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Glenn Rattmann via 6pack < 
[email-masked]> wrote: 

> I removed my original brake booster from my 74.5 and had it rebuilt. The 
> factory had used a mostly-non-hardening material as a sealing gasket 
> between the spacer/firewall/booster. The service manual doesn't specify 
> anything. 
> 
> What putty-like, rather non-hardening dark material is recommended? 
> 
> Thanks, 
> --Glenn 74.5 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ 
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html 
> Suggested annual donation $12.96 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
> 
> [email-masked] 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] 
> 
> 
-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151006/88bbbf5d/attachment-0001.html> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 2 
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:42:23 -0700 
From: James_ <[email-masked]> 
To: Glenn Rattmann <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer 

I recently was looking into the same thing. I did find some material I believe is the same at my local auto store but I would have to buy a huge roll. I ended up making a cork gasket instead. 

?Sent from my Atari 2600? 

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 9:48 AM, "Glenn Rattmann via 6pack" <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> 
> I removed my original brake booster from my 74.5 and had it rebuilt. The factory had used a mostly-non-hardening material as a sealing gasket between the spacer/firewall/booster. The service manual doesn't specify anything. 
> 
> What putty-like, rather non-hardening dark material is recommended? 
> 
> Thanks, 
> --Glenn 74.5 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ 
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html 
> Suggested annual donation $12.96 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
> 
> [email-masked] 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] 
> 

------------------------------ 

Subject: Digest Footer 

_______________________________________________ 
6pack mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 

------------------------------ 

End of 6pack Digest, Vol 15, Issue 8 
************************************ 

------=_Part_12796090_1913491714.1444243693290
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style type=3D'text/css'>p { margin: 0; }</style></head><body><=
div style=3D'font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; colo=
r: #000000'>I don't use anything.<div><br></div><div>Colin</div><div>74-1/2=
<br><br><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-s=
tyle:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;fon=
t-size:12pt;"><b>From: </b>[email-masked]<br><b>To: </b>6pack=
@autox.team.net<br><b>Sent: </b>Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:00:01 AM<br><=
b>Subject: </b>6pack Digest, Vol 15, Issue 8<br><br>Send 6pack mailing list=
 submissions to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6pack@au=
tox.team.net<br><br>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, vis=
it<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;http://autox.team.net=
/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>or, via email, send a message with subject or bo=
dy 'help' to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6pack-reque=
[email-masked]<br><br>You can reach the person managing the list at<br>&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<b=
r><br>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific<b=
r>than "Re: Contents of 6pack digest..."<br><br><br>Today's Topics:<br><br>=
&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Re: brake booster sealer (alan salvatore)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 2=
. Re: brake booster sealer (James_)<br><br><br>----------------------------=
------------------------------------------<br><br>Message: 1<br>Date: Tue, =
6 Oct 2015 20:19:38 -0400<br>From: alan salvatore &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>To: Glenn Rattmann &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: "[email-masked]"=
 &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer<=
br>Message-ID:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;CAAAE=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Conten=
t-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<br><br>I use 3M strip caulk.<br><br>A=
l<br><br>On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Glenn Rattmann via 6pack &lt;<br>=
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><br>&gt; I removed my original brake boo=
ster from my 74.5 and had it rebuilt. &nbsp;The<br>&gt; factory had used a =
mostly-non-hardening material as a sealing gasket<br>&gt; between the space=
r/firewall/booster. &nbsp;The service manual doesn't specify<br>&gt; anythi=
ng.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; What putty-like, rather non-hardening dark material is =
recommended?<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Thanks,<br>&gt; --Glenn 74.5<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<b=
r>&gt; _______________________________________________<br>&gt; Support Team=
.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>&gt; Suggested annual donation &nbs=
p;$12.96<br>&gt; Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt; Forums: http:=
//www.team.net/forums<br>&gt;<br>&gt; [email-masked]<br>&gt; http://a=
utox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage:<br=
>&gt; http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]<br>&g=
t;<br>&gt;<br>-------------- next part --------------<br>An HTML attachment=
 was scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachme=
nts/20151006/88bbbf5d/attachment-0001.html&gt;<br><br>---------------------=
---------<br><br>Message: 2<br>Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:42:23 -0700<br>From=
: James_ &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Glenn Rattmann &lt;[email-masked]&=
gt;<br>Cc: "[email-masked]" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: =
Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer<br>Message-ID: &lt;BLU406-EAS35239E2501020=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<=
br><br>I recently was looking into the same thing. I did find some material=
 I believe is the same at my local auto store but I would have to buy a hug=
e roll. I ended up making a cork gasket instead. <br><br><br>?Sent from my =
Atari 2600?<br><br>&gt; On Oct 6, 2015, at 9:48 AM, "Glenn Rattmann via 6pa=
ck" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I removed my origi=
nal brake booster from my 74.5 and had it rebuilt. &nbsp;The factory had us=
ed a mostly-non-hardening material as a sealing gasket between the spacer/f=
irewall/booster. &nbsp;The service manual doesn't specify anything.<br>&gt;=
 <br>&gt; What putty-like, rather non-hardening dark material is recommende=
d?<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Thanks,<br>&gt; --Glenn 74.5<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; =
_______________________________________________<br>&gt; Support Team.Net ht=
tp://www.team.net/donate.html<br>&gt; Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.9=
6<br>&gt; Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt; Forums: http://www.t=
eam.net/forums<br>&gt; <br>&gt; [email-masked]<br>&gt; http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: http://=
autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]<br>&gt; <br><br>---=
---------------------------<br><br>Subject: Digest Footer<br><br>__________=
_____________________________________<br>6pack mailing list<br>6pack@autox.=
team.net<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br><br><br>-------=
-----------------------<br><br>End of 6pack Digest, Vol 15, Issue 8<br>****=
********************************<br></div><br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_12796090_1913491714.1444243693290--

--===============8029479220071755032==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============8029479220071755032==--

---

From: Glenn Rattmann via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:43:07 -0700

--===============4461906125654137551==
	boundary="=====================_85358125==.ALT"

--=====================_85358125==.ALT

List,
Al Salvatore suggested using 3M strip caulk.  Once armed with that 
moniker it was easy to find reference to it on the 'net.  It is 
3M-08578.  You body-repair guys on here know all about it.  You can 
find it for sale on eBay and elsewhere for less money, but I wondered 
about old stock shelf-life issue, plus I needed it 'right now' in 
order to finish assembling the car for Triumphest.  So I bought a 
carton of it in stock at my local NAPA store.  Note, it was not 
available at local stores O'Reilly or AutoZone.

My result with it was excellent.  Thanks Al !

Colin and James-- Thanks for the inputs.  In my car at least, the 
four mounting holes in the firewall for the 3/8 studs are 
elongated.  They are not hacked-- It appears to be 
factory-intent.  The elongations extend outside the block-spacer 
line, so I was concerned that engine area fumes could ingress the 
firewall in those spots.  So I decided to seal the spacer and add a 
little extra to close the partially exposed holes.

--Glenn
74.5 X2, San Diego

At 11:48 AM 10/7/2015, you wrote:
>----------
>I recently was looking into the same thing. I did find some material 
>I believe is the same at my local auto store but I would have to buy 
>a huge roll. I ended up making a cork gasket instead.

--=====================_85358125==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>List,<br>
Al Salvatore suggested using 3M strip caulk.&nbsp; Once armed with that
moniker it was easy to find reference to it on the 'net.&nbsp; It is
3M-08578.&nbsp; You body-repair guys on here know all about it.&nbsp; You
can find it for sale on eBay and elsewhere for less money, but I wondered
about old stock shelf-life issue, plus I needed it 'right now' in order
to finish assembling the car for Triumphest.&nbsp; So I bought a carton
of it in stock at my local NAPA store.&nbsp; Note, it was not available
at local stores O'Reilly or AutoZone.<br><br>
My result with it was excellent.&nbsp; Thanks Al !<br><br>
Colin and James-- Thanks for the inputs.&nbsp; In my car at least, the
four mounting holes in the firewall for the 3/8 studs are
elongated.&nbsp; They are not hacked-- It appears to be
factory-intent.&nbsp; The elongations extend outside the block-spacer
line, so I was concerned that engine area fumes could ingress the
firewall in those spots.&nbsp; So I decided to seal the spacer and add a
little extra to close the partially exposed holes.<br><br>
--Glenn<br>
74.5 X2, San Diego <br><br>
At 11:48 AM 10/7/2015, you wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">I don't use anything.<br><br>
Colin<br>
74-1/2<br><br>
<hr>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 20:19:38 -0400<br>
From: alan salvatore &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer<br><br>
I use 3M strip caulk.<br><br>
Al<br><br>
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Glenn Rattmann via 6pack &lt;<br>
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><br>
&gt; I removed my original brake booster from my 74.5 and had it
rebuilt.&nbsp; The<br>
&gt; factory had used a mostly-non-hardening material as a sealing
gasket<br>
&gt; between the spacer/firewall/booster.&nbsp; The service manual
doesn't specify<br>
&gt; anything.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What putty-like, rather non-hardening dark material is
recommended?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; --Glenn 74.5<br>
&gt;<br>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:42:23 -0700<br>
From: James_ &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Subject: Re: [6pack] brake booster sealer<br><br>
I recently was looking into the same thing. I did find some material I
believe is the same at my local auto store but I would have to buy a huge
roll. I ended up making a cork gasket instead.
</font></blockquote></body>
</html>

--=====================_85358125==.ALT--

--===============4461906125654137551==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4461906125654137551==--