Subject: [6pack] Transmission or clutch issues (Dale Katzfey)

From: COLIN THOM via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:55:15 -0600 (MDT)

--===============7888399051859061647==
	boundary="----=_Part_23801396_1609951135.1445450115521"

------=_Part_23801396_1609951135.1445450115521
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Dale 

I posted an exhaustive message on this very subject just a few weeks ago. Without repeating the whole thing, I'd bet your pressure plate has failed. I've been through this. Twice. The problem is crappy metallurgy resulting in the pressure plate deforming when it gets hot. 

----- Original Message -----

From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:47:02 PM 
Subject: 6pack Digest, Vol 15, Issue 13 

Send 6pack mailing list submissions to 
[email-masked] 

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to 
[email-masked] 

You can reach the person managing the list at 
[email-masked] 

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
than "Re: Contents of 6pack digest..." 

Today's Topics: 

1. Transmission or clutch issues (Dale Katzfey) 
2. Picture needed ([email-masked]) 
3. Re: Transmission or clutch issues ([email-masked]) 
4. Re: Picture needed (Rochlin Robert) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Message: 1 
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:22:36 -0400 
From: Dale Katzfey <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [6pack] Transmission or clutch issues 

Here is my problem which I need some guidance. When I start in the 
morning everything works fine. I can put the car in reverse without any 
problems. I can up or down shift easily. As things warm up, it gets 
harder and harder to shift gears. It is almost like the clutch is not 
going far enough especially into first or second. Even when I double 
clutch it. When I try to put it in reverse, it grinds. //I can get it 
into reverse but it does not want to go there. If I turn off the engine 
and start up with the clutch depressed, it will work without grinding. 

I made sure I had the DOT 5 fluid up to full. I got an adjustable link 
connector between the slave and clutch and have lengthened that out 
quite a bit without success. Transmission oil was low, so I filled that. 

What do you think? My regular mechanic thinks it is the clutch, but why 
does it work when cold? HELP! 

Dale 
1974 TR6 
-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/d19d4280/attachment-0001.html> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 2 
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:51:46 -0500 
From: <[email-masked]> 
To: <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [6pack] Picture needed 

Can someone on the list please send me a photo (off line) of an original 
radio installation with the factory bezel and knobs for a 72 TR6? If other 
years are similar that's OK. I have an original AM/FM but I made a fake 
bezel and wrong knobs several years ago and would like to know what the 
factory install looks like. 

Thank you. 

Brian J. Alwin 

CC79085 

Minnesnowta 

-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/08729718/attachment-0001.html> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 3 
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:19:55 -0500 
From: <[email-masked]> 
To: "'Dale Katzfey'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [6pack] Transmission or clutch issues 

It certainly sounds like the clutch not fully disengaging for a possible number of reasons. The symptom may not appear when cold as the transmission oil is ?thick? enough to resist the first motion (input) shaft?s rotation. When things warm up as the transmission oil ?thins out? and can no longer resist this rotation. Unfortunately I can?t help with a specific cause. What is the size of your slave cylinder? Some are have a large dia. than others I believe. 

Brian 

From: 6pack [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dale Katzfey via 6pack 
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:23 PM 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [6pack] Transmission or clutch issues 

Here is my problem which I need some guidance. When I start in the morning everything works fine. I can put the car in reverse without any problems. I can up or down shift easily. As things warm up, it gets harder and harder to shift gears. It is almost like the clutch is not going far enough especially into first or second. Even when I double clutch it. When I try to put it in reverse, it grinds. I can get it into reverse but it does not want to go there. If I turn off the engine and start up with the clutch depressed, it will work without grinding. 

I made sure I had the DOT 5 fluid up to full. I got an adjustable link connector between the slave and clutch and have lengthened that out quite a bit without success. Transmission oil was low, so I filled that. 

What do you think? My regular mechanic thinks it is the clutch, but why does it work when cold? HELP! 

Dale 
1974 TR6 

-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/6b79b3f6/attachment-0001.html> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 4 
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:47:25 -0400 
From: Rochlin Robert <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [6pack] Picture needed 

Brian, 
Here you go. 
Bob 
72? TR 6 

> On Oct 20, 2015, at 5:51 PM, brian--- via 6pack <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> 
> Can someone on the list please send me a photo (off line) of an original radio installation with the factory bezel and knobs for a 72 TR6? If other years are similar that?s OK. I have an original AM/FM but I made a fake bezel and wrong knobs several years ago and would like to know what the factory install looks like. 
> 
> Thank you. 
> 
> 
> Brian J. Alwin 
> CC79085 
> Minnesnowta 
> _______________________________________________ 
> Support Team.Net <http://team.net/> http://www.team.net/donate.html <http://www.team.net/donate.html> 
> Suggested annual donation $12.96 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive <http://www.team.net/archive> 
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums <http://www.team.net/forums> 
> 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack <http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack> 
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]> 
-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/b598b3e7/attachment.html> 
-------------- next part -------------- 
A non-text attachment was scrubbed... 
Name: IMG_4027.jpeg 
Type: image/jpeg 
Size: 175896 bytes 
Desc: not available 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/b598b3e7/attachment.jpeg> 

------------------------------ 

Subject: Digest Footer 

_______________________________________________ 
6pack mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 

------------------------------ 

End of 6pack Digest, Vol 15, Issue 13 
************************************* 

------=_Part_23801396_1609951135.1445450115521
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style type=3D'text/css'>p { margin: 0; }</style></head><body><=
div style=3D'font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; colo=
r: #000000'>Dale<div><br></div><div>I posted an exhaustive message on this =
very subject just a few weeks ago. Without repeating the whole thing, I'd b=
et your pressure plate has failed. I've been through this. Twice. The probl=
em is crappy metallurgy resulting in the pressure plate deforming when it g=
ets hot.</div><div><br></div><div><br><div><br><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=
=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;fo=
nt-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><b>From: </b>6pack-re=
[email-masked]<br><b>To: </b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent: </b>Tue=
sday, October 20, 2015 5:47:02 PM<br><b>Subject: </b>6pack Digest, Vol 15, =
Issue 13<br><br>Send 6pack mailing list submissions to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>To subscribe or =
unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>or, via e=
mail, send a message with subject or body 'help' to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>You can rea=
ch the person managing the list at<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>When replying, please edit you=
r Subject line so it is more specific<br>than "Re: Contents of 6pack digest=
..."<br><br><br>Today's Topics:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Transmission or clut=
ch issues (Dale Katzfey)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Picture needed (brian@asmoothmo=
ve.biz)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Re: Transmission or clutch issues (brian@asmooth=
move.biz)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. Re: Picture needed (Rochlin Robert)<br><br><br=
>----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>=
<br>Message: 1<br>Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:22:36 -0400<br>From: Dale Katzf=
ey &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Subject: [6pa=
ck] Transmission or clutch issues<br>Message-ID: &lt;[email-masked]=
r.com&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"; Format=3D"flowed"=
<br><br>Here is my problem which I need some guidance. &nbsp;When I start i=
n the <br>morning everything works fine. &nbsp;I can put the car in reverse=
 without any <br>problems. &nbsp;I can up or down shift easily. &nbsp;As th=
ings warm up, it gets <br>harder and harder to shift gears. &nbsp;It is alm=
ost like the clutch is not <br>going far enough especially into first or se=
cond. &nbsp;Even when I double <br>clutch it. &nbsp;When I try to put it in=
 reverse, it grinds. //I can get it <br>into reverse but it does not want t=
o go there. &nbsp;If I turn off the engine <br>and start up with the clutch=
 depressed, it will work without grinding.<br><br>I made sure I had the DOT=
 5 fluid up to full. &nbsp;I got an adjustable link <br>connector between t=
he slave and clutch and have lengthened that out <br>quite a bit without su=
ccess. &nbsp;Transmission oil was low, so I filled that.<br><br>What do you=
 think? &nbsp;My regular mechanic thinks it is the clutch, but why <br>does=
 it work when cold? &nbsp;HELP!<br><br>Dale<br>1974 TR6<br>-------------- n=
ext part --------------<br>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;h=
ttp://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/d19d4280/attachme=
nt-0001.html&gt;<br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 2<br=
>Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:51:46 -0500<br>From: &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>To: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [6pack] Picture needed<b=
r>Message-ID: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Co=
ntent-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"us-ascii"<br><br>Can someone on the list=
 please send me a photo (off line) of an original<br>radio installation wit=
h the factory bezel and knobs for a 72 TR6? If other<br>years are similar t=
hat's OK. I have an original AM/FM but I made a fake<br>bezel and wrong kno=
bs several years ago and would like to know what the<br>factory install loo=
ks like.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Thank you.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br=
>Brian J. Alwin<br><br>CC79085<br><br>Minnesnowta<br><br>-------------- nex=
t part --------------<br>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;htt=
p://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/08729718/attachment=
-0001.html&gt;<br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 3<br>D=
ate: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:19:55 -0500<br>From: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;=
<br>To: "'Dale Katzfey'" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [6pa=
ck] Transmission or clutch issues<br>Message-ID: &lt;008601d10b85$738b9b20$=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8=
"<br><br>It certainly sounds like the clutch not fully disengaging for a po=
ssible number of reasons. The symptom may not appear when cold as the trans=
mission oil is ?thick? enough to resist the first motion (input) shaft?s ro=
tation. &nbsp;When things warm up as the transmission oil ?thins out? and c=
an no longer resist this rotation. Unfortunately I can?t help with a specif=
ic cause. What is the size of your slave cylinder? Some are have a large di=
a. than others I believe.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Brian<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>F=
rom: 6pack [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dale Katzfey =
via 6pack<br>Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:23 PM<br>To: [email-masked]=
m.net<br>Subject: [6pack] Transmission or clutch issues<br><br>&nbsp;<br><b=
r>Here is my problem which I need some guidance. &nbsp;When I start in the =
morning everything works fine. &nbsp;I can put the car in reverse without a=
ny problems. &nbsp;I can up or down shift easily. &nbsp;As things warm up, =
it gets harder and harder to shift gears. &nbsp;It is almost like the clutc=
h is not going far enough especially into first or second. &nbsp;Even when =
I double clutch it. &nbsp;When I try to put it in reverse, it grinds. &nbsp=
; I can get it into reverse but it does not want to go there. &nbsp;If I tu=
rn off the engine and start up with the clutch depressed, it will work with=
out grinding.<br><br>I made sure I had the DOT 5 fluid up to full. &nbsp;I =
got an adjustable link connector between the slave and clutch and have leng=
thened that out quite a bit without success. &nbsp;Transmission oil was low=
, so I filled that. <br><br>What do you think? &nbsp;My regular mechanic th=
inks it is the clutch, but why does it work when cold? &nbsp;HELP!<br><br>D=
ale<br>1974 TR6<br><br>-------------- next part --------------<br>An HTML a=
ttachment was scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack=
/attachments/20151020/6b79b3f6/attachment-0001.html&gt;<br><br>------------=
------------------<br><br>Message: 4<br>Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:47:25 -04=
00<br>From: Rochlin Robert &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: brian@asmoot=
hmove.biz<br>Cc: [email-masked]<br>Subject: Re: [6pack] Picture neede=
d<br>Message-ID: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<b=
r>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<br><br>Brian,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Here you go.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bob<br>72? TR 6<br><br><br>&gt; On Oct 20, 2015, a=
t 5:51 PM, brian--- via 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; <=
br>&gt; Can someone on the list please send me a photo (off line) of an ori=
ginal radio installation with the factory bezel and knobs for a 72 TR6? If =
other years are similar that?s OK. I have an original AM/FM but I made a fa=
ke bezel and wrong knobs several years ago and would like to know what the =
factory install looks like.<br>&gt; &nbsp;<br>&gt; Thank you.<br>&gt; &nbsp=
;<br>&gt; &nbsp;<br>&gt; Brian J. Alwin<br>&gt; CC79085<br>&gt; Minnesnowta=
<br>&gt; _______________________________________________<br>&gt; Support Te=
am.Net &lt;http://team.net/&gt; http://www.team.net/donate.html &lt;http://=
www.team.net/donate.html&gt;<br>&gt; Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96=
<br>&gt; Archive: http://www.team.net/archive &lt;http://www.team.net/archi=
ve&gt;<br>&gt; Forums: http://www.team.net/forums &lt;http://www.team.net/f=
orums&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; [email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]=
.net&gt;<br>&gt; http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack &lt;http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage=
: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] &lt;http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]&gt;<br>-------=
------- next part --------------<br>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>U=
RL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/b598b3e7=
/attachment.html&gt;<br>-------------- next part --------------<br>A non-te=
xt attachment was scrubbed...<br>Name: IMG_4027.jpeg<br>Type: image/jpeg<br=
>Size: 175896 bytes<br>Desc: not available<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.ne=
t/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20151020/b598b3e7/attachment.jpeg&gt;<br><br>=
------------------------------<br><br>Subject: Digest Footer<br><br>_______=
________________________________________<br>6pack mailing list<br>6pack@aut=
ox.team.net<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br><br><br>----=
--------------------------<br><br>End of 6pack Digest, Vol 15, Issue 13<br>=
*************************************<br></div><br></div></div></div></body=
></html>
------=_Part_23801396_1609951135.1445450115521--

--===============7888399051859061647==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============7888399051859061647==--

---

From: Douglas Morris via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:54:21 -0400

I had that problem twice.
First time was fixed by replacing the master cylinder.
This month, the problem returned after a couple of years (say 15 Kmi).
Had to pump the clutch pedal to get pressure up for a smooth shift into R or 1st.
Both the master and slave were leaking very slightly, so air in the line was a suspect.
Replaced and bled both master and slave cylinders.
It worked fine for the mechanic, but as I started to back out … reverse grind.
Aggressive bleeding fixed it. Now, it’s a firm pedal.
Of course, I only have a couple-hundred miles on it so far (three-days-worth of my daily back-roads routine).

I installed the backup-bolt fix for the fork issue when I replaced the clutch about five years ago, so that ain’t it.

Doug Morris, NC
74 TR6
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]