Subject: [6pack] Driving at COTA with Road & Track

From: Lee Daniels via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 21:16:32 -0600

This holiday season I was given a rare chance to drive a 640-hp beast at
Circuit Of The Americas (COTA). Somehow I appeared on Cadillac's radar and was
invited to the COTA "V-Series Performance Lab Event". Yes, I was pretty
excited to not only get a chance to drive on this world-class track, but to do
it in a track-ready (if not slightly heavy) street vehicle.

I noticed a guy at the morning info session who I thought I recognized. Sure
enough, it turned out to be Jack Baruth, one of my favorite Road & Track
writers (now that Peter Egan contributes only occasionally). We ended up in
the same 4-car group of CTS-Vs for a 2-lap tour of the circuit (one pro driver
in front followed by 3 guests). Later in the day Jack asked if I would comment
for a R&T story he was writing. Of course I agreed, and he ended up including
some of my comments in the story! No, the story does not appear in the print
version of R&T, but only on the web version - but when we get to bragging time
during dinner and drinks, I'm just going to say it was "Road & Track".

Here's Jack's take on the day:
 http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27719/cadillac-v-lab/
I'm Lee the "scientist" that he mentions near the end of the article. Best of
all, he included my mention of my Triumphs!

The cars all include performance data recorders, so I have 4 laps of data and
video. I can sit and agonize over all the mistakes I made for hours. Even
though I studied the track map many times before the event. And yes, I still
have a silly grin on my face when I think about the day.

 Lee
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack