Subject: Re: [6pack] Tri carb set up

From: Michael Porter via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 15:48:08 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4151616832082297675==
 boundary="------------040208020104040709090804"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040208020104040709090804
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 5/14/2016 2:28 PM, Gene Holtzclaw via 6pack wrote:
> I still say study the numbers. Even a high performance TR engine can't 
> flow what two Stromberg's can handle.
>
>
This is quite true, on the numbers from the flow bench of just the 
carburetors and just the head.  I would say, however, that there's a 
small advantage in having each carburetor servicing two runners, instead 
of three, if only because the runners are straighter, and the pulses 
from each carb will be a bit sharper and better-defined with three 
carburetors instead of two.  Flow numbers aren't everything--they 
matter, but so do mixture distribution and mixture uniformity.  My guess 
is--because of the upper limits on flow of the head--there wouldn't be a 
great top-end power increase, but the low- and mid-range performance 
would probably improve some, and there would be slight torque 
improvement because patchy mixtures delivered to some cylinders would be 
reduced.

That said, the difference is going to be small, because of the port 
limitations of the cylinder head.  Is the improvement worth the money? 
That's probably subjective.  A hundred bucks a horsepower is pretty dear 
for the occasional driver.  For the NASCAR guy, it's a bargain.

Dyno comparisons on the same engine would probably tell the tale.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

--------------040208020104040709090804
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/14/2016 2:28 PM, Gene Holtzclaw
      via 6pack wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <div>
        <div>I still say study the numbers. Even a high performance TR
          engine can't flow what two Stromberg's can handle.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <br>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    This is quite true, on the numbers from the flow bench of just the
    carburetors and just the head.  I would say, however, that there's a
    small advantage in having each carburetor servicing two runners,
    instead of three, if only because the runners are straighter, and
    the pulses from each carb will be a bit sharper and better-defined
    with three carburetors instead of two.  Flow numbers aren't
    everything--they matter, but so do mixture distribution and mixture
    uniformity.  My guess is--because of the upper limits on flow of the
    head--there wouldn't be a great top-end power increase, but the low-
    and mid-range performance would probably improve some, and there
    would be slight torque improvement because patchy mixtures delivered
    to some cylinders would be reduced.<br>
    <br>
    That said, the difference is going to be small, because of the port
    limitations of the cylinder head.  Is the improvement worth the
    money? That's probably subjective.  A hundred bucks a horsepower is
    pretty dear for the occasional driver.  For the NASCAR guy, it's a
    bargain.      <br>
    <br>
    Dyno comparisons on the same engine would probably tell the tale.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Cheers.  <br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....</pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------040208020104040709090804--

--===============4151616832082297675==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============4151616832082297675==--

---

From: Bob Peglow via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 18:53:35 -0400 (EDT)

--===============3930820572078704523==
 boundary="Boundary_(ID_W6MhWXbXEZSeelcwUTmzsg)"

--Boundary_(ID_W6MhWXbXEZSeelcwUTmzsg)
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
Content-disposition: inline

Agree.
Jaguar 5.3L XKE v12's run on 2 Strombergs.
Bob Peglow

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 04:28 PM, Gene Holtzclaw via 6pack wrote:

I still say study the numbers. Even a high performance TR engine can't=20
flow what two Stromberg's can handle.
=C2=A0

--Boundary_(ID_W6MhWXbXEZSeelcwUTmzsg)
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
Content-disposition: inline

<div style="font-family:Verdana">Agree. <br>Jaguar 5.3L XKE v12's run on 2 Strombergs.<br>Bob Peglow<br><br><br>On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 04:28 PM, Gene Holtzclaw via 6pack wrote:<br><br>

<div>I still say study the numbers. Even a high performance TR engine can't flow what two Stromberg's can handle.</div>&nbsp; <br></div>

--Boundary_(ID_W6MhWXbXEZSeelcwUTmzsg)--

--===============3930820572078704523==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3930820572078704523==--

---

From: dave n via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 20:06:17 -0500

--===============6081173570871383532==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0031_01D1AE1C.13169760"

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01D1AE1C.13169760
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

numbers may say one thing, but I think the best test is the =93seat=94 =
test.  have first put the triples on a stock engine, then done quite a =
lot of other mods, I=92m going to say the seat test says do it.

and, I will add that my son has done very well in TR6 modified with this =
car.

like so many things, there are a ton of opinions.  I=92ll stick with =
mine.

From: Michael Porter=20
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2016 4:48 PM
To: Gene Holtzclaw ; dave n=20
Cc: Triumph 6 Pack=20
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tri carb set up

  I still say study the numbers. Even a high performance TR engine can't =
flow what two Stromberg's can handle.

This is quite true, on the numbers from the flow bench of just the =
carburetors and just the head.  I would say, however, that there's a =
small advantage in having each carburetor servicing two runners, instead =
of three, if only because the runners are straighter, and the pulses =
from each carb will be a bit sharper and better-defined with three =
carburetors instead of two.  Flow numbers aren't everything--they =
matter, but so do mixture distribution and mixture uniformity.  My guess =
is--because of the upper limits on flow of the head--there wouldn't be a =
great top-end power increase, but the low- and mid-range performance =
would probably improve some, and there would be slight torque =
improvement because patchy mixtures delivered to some cylinders would be =
reduced.

That said, the difference is going to be small, because of the port =
limitations of the cylinder head.  Is the improvement worth the money? =
That's probably subjective.  A hundred bucks a horsepower is pretty dear =
for the occasional driver.  For the NASCAR guy, it's a bargain.     =20

Cheers. =20

--=20

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking =
distance....
------=_NextPart_000_0031_01D1AE1C.13169760
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>numbers may say one thing, but I think the best test is the =
=93seat=94=20
test.&nbsp; have first put the triples on a stock engine, then done =
quite a lot=20
of other mods, I=92m going to say the seat test says do it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>and, I will add that my son has done very well in TR6 modified with =
this=20
car.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>like so many things, there are a ton of opinions.&nbsp; I=92ll =
stick with=20
mine.</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Michael Porter</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, May 14, 2016 4:48 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Gene Holtzclaw</A> ; <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">dave n</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Cc:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Triumph 6 Pack</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: [6pack] Tri carb set up</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV class=3Dmoz-cite-prefix>On 5/14/2016 2:28 PM, Gene Holtzclaw via =
6pack=20
wrote:<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
cite=3Dmid:[email-masked].=
prod.outlook.com=20
type=3D"cite">
  <DIV>
  <DIV>I still say study the numbers. Even a high performance TR engine =
can't=20
  flow what two Stromberg's can handle.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>This is quite true, on the numbers =
from the=20
flow bench of just the carburetors and just the head.&nbsp; I would say, =

however, that there's a small advantage in having each carburetor =
servicing two=20
runners, instead of three, if only because the runners are straighter, =
and the=20
pulses from each carb will be a bit sharper and better-defined with =
three=20
carburetors instead of two.&nbsp; Flow numbers aren't everything--they =
matter,=20
but so do mixture distribution and mixture uniformity.&nbsp; My guess=20
is--because of the upper limits on flow of the head--there wouldn't be a =
great=20
top-end power increase, but the low- and mid-range performance would =
probably=20
improve some, and there would be slight torque improvement because =
patchy=20
mixtures delivered to some cylinders would be reduced.<BR><BR>That said, =
the=20
difference is going to be small, because of the port limitations of the =
cylinder=20
head.&nbsp; Is the improvement worth the money? That's probably=20
subjective.&nbsp; A hundred bucks a horsepower is pretty dear for the =
occasional=20
driver.&nbsp; For the NASCAR guy, it's a =
bargain.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
<BR><BR>Dyno comparisons on the same engine would probably tell the=20
tale.<BR><BR><BR>Cheers.&nbsp; <BR><PRE class=3Dmoz-signature =
cols=3D"72">--=20

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking =
distance....</PRE></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01D1AE1C.13169760--

--===============6081173570871383532==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6081173570871383532==--