Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] Computer Fun

From: Mark J Bradakis via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 23:34:54 -0600

Hoyt Duff wrote:
> You should consider one of the BSDs, like FreeBSD. It's not too big a
> leap from Linux if you are very familiar with that OS. Running actual
> services is essentially the same.
>
>

I spent many years as a sys admin or whatever with the University of 
Utah Computer Science department. You know, one of the first 5 sites on 
the net. We had a long history with Berkeley, I've probably forgotten 
more about BSD than I should admit. FreeBSD is a strong possibility, 
will keep the lists informed of progress.

mjb.

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

---

From: Bob Labuz via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 08:56:26 -0400

Mark,

I have been using Ubuntu for over 10 years now. Last year I "upgraded" 
my wife's pc running xp to Ubuntu.
The best thing I can think of for Ubuntu is the update process. Never 
had a problem. The only downside is the kernel is not as specific for 
your hardware as Gentoo for example.

Good luck!

Bob

On 06/08/2016 12:16 AM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> So someone hacked into Team.Net through the web server, and used it to 
> spew out spam. What fun. The main issue has been taken care of, but it 
> was happening long enough for some service providers to set up a block 
> for the Team.Net IP. So a fair number of you may never see this 
> message. I'll be working on restoring access, but it could be some 
> time, like several days.
>
> And meanwhile I think I will build a new server, start from the ground 
> up. Stick with Ubuntu, or Fedora, or ??  Decisions, decisions.
>
> In the meantime I will work on getting mail flowing out as best as 
> possible.
>
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> mjb.
>
>

[email-masked]