Subject: [6pack] eBay - a sobering story

From: Andrew Uprichard via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 18:03:01 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6288693769589584840==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00B2_01D467D5.FA5CAEA0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00B2_01D467D5.FA5CAEA0
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Before I start the story, let me take full responsibility for my own
stupidity.  I screwed up.  But the follow-up is where I think others need to
be careful.

Having bought a TR3 with a body which was beyond salvage, I have been
looking for, and was prepared to pay good money for, a decent tub.  I
recently saw one on eBay which was advertised as being "in good condition".
It was fairly expensive, so I emailed the seller twice and asked
specifically about the extent of the rust:  he replied by assuring me the
car was "in great condition" with "minimal rust".  I asked for additional
pics, but he said it was difficult as the car was at a different location.

After I bid and won, the seller emailed me to say I had to pick the car up
within 24 hours as he had a family commitment and would be gone for a week.
The car was several hours away and I explained I couldn't make it.  He said
OK, but he wanted the money immediately.  I called PayPal and they said I
would lose any protection if I paid before seeing the car.  So I called eBay
and they reassured me I was covered 100% by the eBay vehicle protection plan
(VPP).  So I paid.  My mistake.

A week later I drove out and found a car with rust holes big enough to put
my hand through and a passenger side with so much collision damage I doubt
it could ever be restored.  Oh, and the frame was bent.  I told him I wasn't
going to take the car, he had misrepresented it, and I wanted my money back.
He told me tough, you paid already, it's yours.

I came home and called eBay only to be told the VPP only applies to cars
less than 10 years old and that I had no recourse other than to sue the
seller.  After several sleepless nights I decided I could do without the
stress of litigation and so I drove back out to collect the car.  When I got
there the seller told me he had sold it to someone else.  Great, I said,
give me my money.  Nah, he said, you take it and I'll deal with the other
guy.  The seller had brought a few buddies over, and so I simply loaded the
car up and drove home.

Bottom line - I salvaged one replacement panel and 2 fenders, one of which
is fiberglass.  The car is being collected this week for a trip to the
scrapyard.

It was my fault and I accept responsibility for it.  Thankfully, my lovely
wife has not given me grief and as a Christian I forgive the guy.  But I did
leave negative feedback on eBay.  The EXACT words were "Total
misrepresentation of the car.  Buyers beware".  It never posted.  I called
eBay today and was told the seller had appealed my feedback as it was
"pejorative and threatened the future success of his business".  As a result
eBay had the right to remove it - and they did.  And they will not let me
leave any negative feedback.

I still love the Triumph community, but I am a little more cynical about
mankind (which is a shame) and I am disgusted with eBay.  I guess I am
venting, but if anyone has a good TR3 tub...

Andrew Uprichard

Jackson, Michigan

 

------=_NextPart_000_00B2_01D467D5.FA5CAEA0
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Before I start the =
story, let me take full responsibility for my own stupidity.&nbsp; I =
screwed up.&nbsp; But the follow-up is where I think others need to be =
careful.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Having bought a TR3 with =
a body which was beyond salvage, I have been looking for, and was =
prepared to pay good money for, a decent tub.&nbsp; I recently saw one =
on eBay which was advertised as being &#8220;in good =
condition&#8221;.&nbsp; It was fairly expensive, so I emailed the seller =
<u>twice</u> and asked specifically about the extent of the rust:&nbsp; =
he replied by assuring me the car was &#8220;in great condition&#8221; =
with &#8220;minimal rust&#8221;.&nbsp; I asked for additional pics, but =
he said it was difficult as the car was at a different =
location.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>After I bid and won, the =
seller emailed me to say I had to pick the car up within 24 hours as he =
had a family commitment and would be gone for a week.&nbsp; The car was =
several hours away and I explained I couldn&#8217;t make it.&nbsp; He =
said OK, but he wanted the money immediately.&nbsp; I called PayPal and =
they said I would lose any protection if I paid before seeing the =
car.&nbsp; So I called eBay and they reassured me I was covered 100% by =
the eBay vehicle protection plan (VPP).&nbsp; So I paid.&nbsp; My =
mistake.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>A week later I drove out =
and found a car with rust holes big enough to put my hand through and a =
passenger side with so much collision damage I doubt&nbsp; it could ever =
be restored.&nbsp; Oh, and the frame was bent.&nbsp; I told him I =
wasn&#8217;t going to take the car, he had misrepresented it, and I =
wanted my money back.&nbsp; He told me tough, you paid already, =
it&#8217;s yours.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>I came home and called =
eBay only to be told the VPP only applies to cars less than 10 years old =
and that I had no recourse other than to sue the seller.&nbsp; After =
several sleepless nights I decided I could do without the stress of =
litigation and so I drove back out to collect the car.&nbsp; When I got =
there the seller told me he had sold it to someone else.&nbsp; Great, I =
said, give me my money.&nbsp; Nah, he said, you take it and I&#8217;ll =
deal with the other guy.&nbsp; The seller had brought a few buddies =
over, and so I simply loaded the car up and drove =
home.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Bottom line &#8211; I =
salvaged one replacement panel and 2 fenders, one of which is =
fiberglass.&nbsp; The car is being collected this week for a trip to the =
scrapyard.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>It was my fault and I =
accept responsibility for it.&nbsp; Thankfully, my lovely wife has not =
given me grief and as a Christian I forgive the guy.&nbsp; But I did =
leave negative feedback on eBay.&nbsp; The EXACT words were &#8220;Total =
misrepresentation of the car.&nbsp; Buyers beware&#8221;.&nbsp; It never =
posted.&nbsp; I called eBay today and was told the seller had appealed =
my feedback as it was &#8220;pejorative and threatened the future =
success of his business&#8221;.&nbsp; As a result eBay had the right to =
remove it &#8211; and they did.&nbsp; And they will not let me leave any =
negative feedback.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>I still love the Triumph =
community, but I am a little more cynical about mankind (which is a =
shame) and I am disgusted with eBay.&nbsp; I guess I am venting, but if =
anyone has a good TR3 tub&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Andrew =
Uprichard<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Jackson, =
Michigan<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00B2_01D467D5.FA5CAEA0--

--===============6288693769589584840==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============6288693769589584840==--