Subject: [6pack] Need your opinion on ebay (im sloane)

From: COLIN THOM via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 19:42:10 -0600 (MDT)

--===============0374395485145067646==
	boundary="=_682c87cb-3161-4b0b-abf1-510e6f68ab65"

--=_682c87cb-3161-4b0b-abf1-510e6f68ab65
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Sloane 

What's interesting in the picture of the engine is that the spark plugs appear to be white. This makes me wonder why they might have been masked when nothing else was, or, if they weren't in their holes when the engine got painted. Either way, I wouldn't worry about paint on an engine you're going to tear apart anyway. You will certainly have to remove the paint from manifold surfaces on the head, oil filter land, etc, but that should only require some minor elbow grease with a fine sand paper...not enough to scratch the surfaces badly. Don't start with anything too coarse. A wire brush wheel could also be a good idea. 

If there's any doubt that the rocker vent wasn't taped shut, pull the rocker cover and make sure there aren't any blobs of paint covering the rocker arm oil holes. Who knows what kind of paint was used or how heavily it was applied. Err on the side of caution but you should be fine. 

Colin 

From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:00:03 AM 
Subject: 6pack Digest, Vol 57, Issue 7 

Send 6pack mailing list submissions to 
[email-masked] 

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to 
[email-masked] 

You can reach the person managing the list at 
[email-masked] 

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
than "Re: Contents of 6pack digest..." 

Today's Topics: 

1. Need your opinion on ebay (im sloane) 
2. Re: Need your opinion on ebay (Gene Holtzclaw) 
3. MG work, OT (Richard Lindsay) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Message: 1 
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 05:17:55 +0000 
From: im sloane <[email-masked]> 
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [6pack] Need your opinion on ebay 
<[email-masked]> 

Hey guys, 
I need your opinion on a Spitfire engine on Ebay. Search for auction# 264437409489. 

It looks like the entire engine was probably painted black after it was pulled. Is this of concern? Like, on the surface that matches the intake, or the oil filter? 
Anything else? I contacted the seller, and the cross country shipping isn't as bad as I had feared. 

thanks, 
Sloane 
-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20191015/30bd9469/attachment-0001.htm> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 2 
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 10:33:42 +0000 
From: Gene Holtzclaw <[email-masked]> 
To: im sloane <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" 
<[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [6pack] Need your opinion on ebay 
<[email-masked]> 

I have recently found out about Fastenal doing shipping through their store locations. It was a extremely positive experience, and less cost than I could have imagined in shipping and complete engine and transmission out of a XJRS 
Go to their website and follow. I think the make of their freight line is Blue Lane Freight? 
Anyway, if the seller can drop it off at a Fastenal location, and the buyer can pick it up, it is a awesome service for those of us who like out British "treasures" 

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> 

________________________________ 
From: 6pack <[email-masked]> on behalf of im sloane via 6pack <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:17:55 AM 
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [6pack] Need your opinion on ebay 

Hey guys, 
I need your opinion on a Spitfire engine on Ebay. Search for auction# 264437409489. 

It looks like the entire engine was probably painted black after it was pulled. Is this of concern? Like, on the surface that matches the intake, or the oil filter? 
Anything else? I contacted the seller, and the cross country shipping isn't as bad as I had feared. 

thanks, 
Sloane 
-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20191015/1c8a47cf/attachment-0001.htm> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 3 
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:35:52 -0500 
From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]> 
To: TR6 <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [6pack] MG work, OT 
<[email-masked]> 

Hello Friends, 
Great progress on the TD today. First up, I completed the seat 
re-contouring. I first removed covering from the back of the seat 
back. 

http://aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_104712.jpg 

I pulled about a million long staples from the hard marine grade 
plywood that I used. 

http://aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_104640.jpg 

By the time I got them all out my hands were red and sore. 

http://aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_104609.jpg 

After that, I got quite busy reshaping foam and forgot to take 
pictures. I did take a nice picture after re-contouring the foam and 
reattaching the upholstery. Here's how it looks back in the car. 

http://aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_104051.jpg 

Lots better and more comfortable. 

As for the brake master cylinder, I am going to have it put in at 
my mechanic's shop. It will be so much easier to replace once its on a 
lift. We'll then re-bleed the whole system. More when that happens. 

Rick 

------------------------------ 

Subject: Digest Footer 

_______________________________________________ 
6pack mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 

------------------------------ 

End of 6pack Digest, Vol 57, Issue 7 
************************************ 

--=_682c87cb-3161-4b0b-abf1-510e6f68ab65
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-s=
ize: 10pt; color: #000000"><div>Hi Sloane</div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1=
"></div><div>What's interesting in the picture of the engine is that the sp=
ark plugs appear to be white. This makes me wonder why they might have been=
 masked when nothing else was, or, if they weren't in their holes when the =
engine got painted. Either way, I wouldn't worry about paint on an engine y=
ou're going to tear apart anyway. You will certainly have to remove the pai=
nt from manifold surfaces on the head, oil filter land, etc, but that shoul=
d only require some minor elbow grease with a fine sand paper...not enough =
to scratch the surfaces badly. Don't start with anything too coarse. A wire=
 brush wheel could also be a good idea.</div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1">=
</div><div>If there's any doubt that the rocker vent wasn't taped shut, pul=
l the rocker cover and make sure there aren't any blobs of paint covering t=
he rocker arm oil holes. Who knows what kind of paint was used or how heavi=
ly it was applied. Err on the side of caution but you should be fine.</div>=
<div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>Colin</div><div><br></div><hr id=
=3D"zwchr" data-marker=3D"__DIVIDER__"><div data-marker=3D"__HEADERS__"><b>=
From: </b>[email-masked]<br><b>To: </b>[email-masked]<b=
r><b>Sent: </b>Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:00:03 AM<br><b>Subject: </b>6pa=
ck Digest, Vol 57, Issue 7<br></div><div><br></div><div data-marker=3D"__QU=
OTED_TEXT__">Send 6pack mailing list submissions to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>To subscribe or uns=
ubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>or, via emai=
l, send a message with subject or body 'help' to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>You can reach =
the person managing the list at<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>When replying, please edit your S=
ubject line so it is more specific<br>than "Re: Contents of 6pack digest...=
"<br><br><br>Today's Topics:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Need your opinion on eb=
ay (im sloane)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Re: Need your opinion on ebay (Gene Holtz=
claw)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. MG work, OT (Richard Lindsay)<br><br><br>---------=
-------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Messag=
e: 1<br>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 05:17:55 +0000<br>From: im sloane &lt;im_slo=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: "[email-masked]" &lt;[email-masked]&=
gt;<br>Subject: [6pack] Need your opinion on ebay<br>Message-ID:<br>&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;MN2PR18MB2429DB9B4C07426288563=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"iso-8=
859-1"<br><br>Hey guys,<br>I need your opinion on a Spitfire engine on Ebay=
. Search for auction# 264437409489.<br><br>It looks like the entire engine =
was probably painted black after it was pulled. Is this of concern? Like, o=
n the surface that matches the intake, or the oil filter?<br>Anything else?=
 I contacted the seller, and the cross country shipping isn't as bad as I h=
ad feared.<br><br>thanks,<br>Sloane<br>-------------- next part -----------=
---<br>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net=
/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20191015/30bd9469/attachment-0001.htm&gt;<br><=
br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 2<br>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 20=
19 10:33:42 +0000<br>From: Gene Holtzclaw &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To=
: im sloane &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, "[email-masked]"<br>&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>S=
ubject: Re: [6pack] Need your opinion on ebay<br>Message-ID:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;BN7PR07MB508946C41712A0FD44B1E454E=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"iso-8859-=
1"<br><br>I have recently found out about Fastenal doing shipping through t=
heir store locations. It was a extremely positive experience, and less cost=
 than I could have imagined in shipping and complete engine and transmissio=
n out of a XJRS<br>Go to their website and follow. I think the make of thei=
r freight line is Blue Lane Freight?<br>Anyway, if the seller can drop it o=
ff at a Fastenal location, and the buyer can pick it up, it is a awesome se=
rvice for those of us who like out British "treasures"<br><br>Get Outlook f=
or Android&lt;https://aka.ms/ghei36&gt;<br><br>____________________________=
____<br>From: 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of im sl=
oane via 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2=
019 1:17:55 AM<br>To: [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>=
Subject: [6pack] Need your opinion on ebay<br><br>Hey guys,<br>I need your =
opinion on a Spitfire engine on Ebay. Search for auction# 264437409489.<br>=
<br>It looks like the entire engine was probably painted black after it was=
 pulled. Is this of concern? Like, on the surface that matches the intake, =
or the oil filter?<br>Anything else? I contacted the seller, and the cross =
country shipping isn't as bad as I had feared.<br><br>thanks,<br>Sloane<br>=
-------------- next part --------------<br>An HTML attachment was scrubbed.=
..<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/6pack/attachments/20191015/1=
c8a47cf/attachment-0001.htm&gt;<br><br>------------------------------<br><b=
r>Message: 3<br>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:35:52 -0500<br>From: Richard Lind=
say &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: TR6 &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>Subject: [6pack] MG work, OT<br>Message-ID:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;CAOc+-dzVfqy0FaagD2GgeKcFpda6ObiKZeF9D9_rgwOX=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"UTF-8"<br=
><br>Hello Friends,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; Great progress on the TD today. First u=
p, I completed the seat<br>re-contouring. I first removed covering from the=
 back of the seat<br>back.<br><br>http://aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_104712.jp=
g<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; I pulled about a million long staples from the hard m=
arine grade<br>plywood that I used.<br><br>http://aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_=
104640.jpg<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; By the time I got them all out my hands were=
 red and sore.<br><br>http://aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_104609.jpg<br><br>&nb=
sp;&nbsp; After that, I got quite busy reshaping foam and forgot to take<br=
>pictures. I did take a nice picture after re-contouring the foam and<br>re=
attaching the upholstery. Here's how it looks back in the car.<br><br>http:=
//aubard.us/53_MG/20191015_104051.jpg<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; Lots better and m=
ore comfortable.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; As for the brake master cylinder, I am=
 going to have it put in at<br>my mechanic's shop. It will be so much easie=
r to replace once its on a<br>lift. We'll then re-bleed the whole system. M=
ore when that happens.<br><br>Rick<br><br><br>-----------------------------=
-<br><br>Subject: Digest Footer<br><br>____________________________________=
___________<br>6pack mailing list<br>[email-masked]<br>http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br><br><br>------------------------------<br=
><br>End of 6pack Digest, Vol 57, Issue 7<br>******************************=
******<br></div></div></body></html>
--=_682c87cb-3161-4b0b-abf1-510e6f68ab65--

--===============0374395485145067646==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============0374395485145067646==--