Subject: Re: [6pack] [TR] 6-Pack Forum Gone

From: Mark J Bradakis via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 11:37:02 -0700

On 11/8/19 5:49 AM, Bob Danielson wrote:
>
> I just read over on Facebook that the 6-Pack Forum has been hacked and 
> completely wiped out. Alan posted : Hacked. Everything deleted, 
> including what backups there were. No idea what the vector was.
>
> Forum database may be intact - but I won’t be able to look at it until 
> the weekend, at which time I’ll have to go and re-install all the B.B. 
> software.
>
> Bob
>
Ouch.  Team Net has certainly been the target of many attacks over the 
nearly thirty years it has been online.  But this does remind me I've 
been meaning to pick up a new back up drive to supplement those already 
on hand so I can stash all the server info in a safe place.  I hear 
there are now 4 - 5 terabyte units available, one of those should hold a 
few snapshots of current mailing list and website data.  Total disk 
space used by the server is about 500 gigs. And if the info is sitting 
on a shelf on a USB hard drive not connected to the network in any way 
whatsoever, no chance of getting destroyed by hackers.

And just in case you are wondering, the autox server has had 2,317 
failed root login attempts so far this month. So yes, it is a constant 
threat to the 39 currently active lists I host.

Your concerned, over paid and underworked list admin,

mjb.

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]