Subject: [6pack] rear shock conversion

From: Glenn Franco via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:56:45 -0400

--===============2968007095527232308==

--0000000000008ed62b05a574ac44

The rear shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss Motors, TRF, Vicky
Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock crossmember being
fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of these and this is
a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are going to use these
is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount 45 deg down to
the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a number of these
from 1" thick wall tube.
The problem with this conversion is its to simple to attach but it imparts
fore aft loads on the crossmember that causes fractures and then if fails
completely and detaches from the frame.
The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loads and therefore no issues. We
just had another club member suffer such a failure of the shock crossmember.
If you ever have to fix one of these your in for a treat since not only
does it pull away from the frame but it tends to twist that crossmember.
This bracket should not be confused with the one TRF sold that the upper
shock mount attaches to the inner rear wheel well. That one has its own
issues.
 Good luck with that
Glenn

--0000000000008ed62b05a574ac44
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>The rear shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss M=
otors, TRF, Vicky Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock c=
rossmember being fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of =
these and this is a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are g=
oing to use these is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount=
 45 deg down to the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a nu=
mber of these from 1&quot; thick wall tube. <br></div><div>The problem with=
 this conversion is its to simple to attach but it imparts fore aft loads o=
n the crossmember that causes fractures and then if fails completely and de=
taches from the frame.</div><div>The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loa=
ds and therefore no issues. We just had another club member suffer such a f=
ailure of the shock crossmember.</div><div>If you ever have to fix one of t=
hese your in for a treat since not only does it pull away from the frame bu=
t it tends to twist that crossmember.</div><div>This bracket should not be =
confused with the one TRF sold that the upper shock mount attaches to the i=
nner rear wheel well. That one has its own issues.</div><div>=C2=A0Good luc=
k with that</div><div>Glenn<br></div></div>

--0000000000008ed62b05a574ac44--

--===============2968007095527232308==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============2968007095527232308==--

---

From: Richard Taylor via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 13:47:38 -0700

My message here, as told before on different TR6 forums, is that if one wants to convert from lever shocks to tube shocks, it is prudent that when the trailing arm rises the trailing arm bump stop(s) take the force, and not the shock attachment points. This can be checked by removing the road spring and manual lifting the TA up to see where contact is made. In my case, when done approx. 10 years and around 70,000 miles ago. A 1/8 inch spacer was added where it screws to the new TA bump rubbers. Also some shifting around to the shock bump rubbers, so that there was room left in the shock stroke when hard contact was made between the bump stop and the bump rubbers. Also note here that i’m running the “semi-comp” road springs, so it’s not often that all of the spring compression takes place. 
I write this not to defend the tube shock conversion, but to show that this conversion needs to be checked out to be sure the above takes place. And no, the attachment point from my conversion has never torn loose or welded at any time. I do view this area each time the road wheel is removed for some other reason. 
So far as what I look for regarding shock operation is not all that scientific. Just press down with my weight on the rear fenders several times and watch the action, I want both bounce and rebound to show a good damping effect. 
In place is the KYB silver shock conversion, purchased from VB. (A birthday gift from my bride of 30 years) 

Dick 
> On May 12, 2020, at 7:56 AM, Glenn Franco via 6pack <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> The rear shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss Motors, TRF, Vicky Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock crossmember being fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of these and this is a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are going to use these is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount 45 deg down to the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a number of these from 1" thick wall tube. 
> The problem with this conversion is its to simple to attach but it imparts fore aft loads on the crossmember that causes fractures and then if fails completely and detaches from the frame.
> The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loads and therefore no issues. We just had another club member suffer such a failure of the shock crossmember.
> If you ever have to fix one of these your in for a treat since not only does it pull away from the frame but it tends to twist that crossmember.
> This bracket should not be confused with the one TRF sold that the upper shock mount attaches to the inner rear wheel well. That one has its own issues.
>  Good luck with that
> Glenn
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> 
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
> 

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: mohawktriumphs via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 17:31:20 -0400

--===============0568392573274168059==

----_com.android.email_180910506063600
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_180910506063600
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_180910506063600--

--===============0568392573274168059==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0568392573274168059==--