Subject: Re: [6pack] 6pack Digest, Vol 64, Issue 11

From: COLIN THOM via 6pack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 13:34:53 -0600 (MDT)

--===============5590177823742372006==
	boundary="=_b50362be-c8fc-4f20-a34f-062a3a359266"

--=_b50362be-c8fc-4f20-a34f-062a3a359266
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thank you, Mark! 

With all that damage, please don't worry about a 1 hour lag in email transmission. In these times, that's hardly relevant. 

Be safe 
Colin 

From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 11:00:03 AM 
Subject: 6pack Digest, Vol 64, Issue 11 

Send 6pack mailing list submissions to 
[email-masked] 

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to 
[email-masked] 

You can reach the person managing the list at 
[email-masked] 

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
than "Re: Contents of 6pack digest..." 

Today's Topics: 

1. Possible Team Net outage (Mark J Bradakis) 
2. Re: Possible Team Net outage (andrew uprichard) 
3. Re: rear shock conversion (Richard) 
4. Re: rear shock conversion (Richard) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Message: 1 
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 16:00:36 -0600 
From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> 
To: list 6pack <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [6pack] Possible Team Net outage 

We had some severe wind gusts in Salt Lake Monday afternoon, about half 
of a large tree blew over, sort of hitting the garage and some cars.? 
Take a look at http://bradakis.com/net_wire.jpg to get an idea of what 
happened.? Inside that marked off area you can see a black wire.? That 
is Team Net's connection to the world. Getting all the fallen branches 
off that wire is beyond my capabilities.? We've contacted some 
professional tree removers, haven't heard back yet, so not sure when the 
mess will be cleaned up. 

So basically if we get more wind gusts over the next day or two all that 
debris could shift and take out that network cable.? And Team Net would 
be off the air for who knows how long.? So be aware of that 
possibility.? If it happens, you might be seeing a status message from 
[email-masked] that may look suspicious at first glance.? It will be 
from me. 

And another note, the old problem of delayed email seems to be occurring 
again.? Currently the delay is one the order of an hour or so, I'll be 
looking into the situation. 

Fun times indeed! 

mjb. 

------------------------------ 

Message: 2 
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 18:52:26 -0400 
From: "andrew uprichard" <[email-masked]> 
To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [6pack] Possible Team Net outage 

But were the cars OK?? 

Andrew 

-----Original Message----- 
From: 6pack <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Mark J Bradakis via 6pack 
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:01 PM 
To: list 6pack <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [6pack] Possible Team Net outage 

We had some severe wind gusts in Salt Lake Monday afternoon, about half of a large tree blew over, sort of hitting the garage and some cars. Take a look at http://bradakis.com/net_wire.jpg to get an idea of what happened. Inside that marked off area you can see a black wire. That is Team Net's connection to the world. Getting all the fallen branches off that wire is beyond my capabilities. We've contacted some professional tree removers, haven't heard back yet, so not sure when the mess will be cleaned up. 

So basically if we get more wind gusts over the next day or two all that debris could shift and take out that network cable. And Team Net would be off the air for who knows how long. So be aware of that possibility. If it happens, you might be seeing a status message from [email-masked] that may look suspicious at first glance. It will be from me. 

And another note, the old problem of delayed email seems to be occurring again. Currently the delay is one the order of an hour or so, I'll be looking into the situation. 

Fun times indeed! 

mjb. 

_______________________________________________ 
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 

[email-masked] 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 

------------------------------ 

Message: 3 
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:55:41 -0700 
From: Richard <[email-masked]> 
To: Mitchel Seff <[email-masked]> 
Cc: 6pack <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [6pack] rear shock conversion 

Ah Mitch....you cheated!! 

Dick 

> On May 13, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Mitchel Seff <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> 
> I agree with Dicks explanation of preparation and function. I?m not denying the failures but rather try and understand why each particular failure happened. I have also had the VB tube shock bracket with KYB gas shock on my car for over twenty years with out any failure or sign of metal fatigue. I also took the extra precaution of adding a support bracket. 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Mitch Seff 
> 
>>>> On May 12, 2020, at 4:47 PM, Richard Taylor via 6pack <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>>> ?My message here, as told before on different TR6 forums, is that if one wants to convert from lever shocks to tube shocks, it is prudent that when the trailing arm rises the trailing arm bump stop(s) take the force, and not the shock attachment points. This can be checked by removing the road spring and manual lifting the TA up to see where contact is made. In my case, when done approx. 10 years and around 70,000 miles ago. A 1/8 inch spacer was added where it screws to the new TA bump rubbers. Also some shifting around to the shock bump rubbers, so that there was room left in the shock stroke when hard contact was made between the bump stop and the bump rubbers. Also note here that i?m running the ?semi-comp? road springs, so it?s not often that all of the spring compression takes place. 
>>> I write this not to defend the tube shock conversion, but to show that this conversion needs to be checked out to be sure the above takes place. And no, the attachment point from my conversion has never torn loose or welded at any time. I do view this area each time the road wheel is removed for some other reason. 
>>> So far as what I look for regarding shock operation is not all that scientific. Just press down with my weight on the rear fenders several times and watch the action, I want both bounce and rebound to show a good damping effect. 
>>> In place is the KYB silver shock conversion, purchased from VB. (A birthday gift from my bride of 30 years) 
>>> 
>>> Dick 
>>>> On May 12, 2020, at 7:56 AM, Glenn Franco via 6pack <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>>> The rear shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss Motors, TRF, Vicky Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock crossmember being fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of these and this is a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are going to use these is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount 45 deg down to the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a number of these from 1" thick wall tube. 
>>> The problem with this conversion is its to simple to attach but it imparts fore aft loads on the crossmember that causes fractures and then if fails completely and detaches from the frame. 
>>> The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loads and therefore no issues. We just had another club member suffer such a failure of the shock crossmember. 
>>> If you ever have to fix one of these your in for a treat since not only does it pull away from the frame but it tends to twist that crossmember. 
>>> This bracket should not be confused with the one TRF sold that the upper shock mount attaches to the inner rear wheel well. That one has its own issues. 
>>> Good luck with that 
>>> Glenn 
>>> _______________________________________________ 
>>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html 
>>> Suggested annual donation $12.96 
>>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
>>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
>>> [email-masked] 
>>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________ 
>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html 
>> Suggested annual donation $12.96 
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
>> 
>> [email-masked] 
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
>> 
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] 

------------------------------ 

Message: 4 
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:55:41 -0700 
From: Richard <[email-masked]> 
To: Mitchel Seff <[email-masked]> 
Cc: 6pack <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [6pack] rear shock conversion 

Ah Mitch....you cheated!! 

Dick 

> On May 13, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Mitchel Seff <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> 
> I agree with Dicks explanation of preparation and function. I?m not denying the failures but rather try and understand why each particular failure happened. I have also had the VB tube shock bracket with KYB gas shock on my car for over twenty years with out any failure or sign of metal fatigue. I also took the extra precaution of adding a support bracket. 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Mitch Seff 
> 
>>>> On May 12, 2020, at 4:47 PM, Richard Taylor via 6pack <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>>> ?My message here, as told before on different TR6 forums, is that if one wants to convert from lever shocks to tube shocks, it is prudent that when the trailing arm rises the trailing arm bump stop(s) take the force, and not the shock attachment points. This can be checked by removing the road spring and manual lifting the TA up to see where contact is made. In my case, when done approx. 10 years and around 70,000 miles ago. A 1/8 inch spacer was added where it screws to the new TA bump rubbers. Also some shifting around to the shock bump rubbers, so that there was room left in the shock stroke when hard contact was made between the bump stop and the bump rubbers. Also note here that i?m running the ?semi-comp? road springs, so it?s not often that all of the spring compression takes place. 
>>> I write this not to defend the tube shock conversion, but to show that this conversion needs to be checked out to be sure the above takes place. And no, the attachment point from my conversion has never torn loose or welded at any time. I do view this area each time the road wheel is removed for some other reason. 
>>> So far as what I look for regarding shock operation is not all that scientific. Just press down with my weight on the rear fenders several times and watch the action, I want both bounce and rebound to show a good damping effect. 
>>> In place is the KYB silver shock conversion, purchased from VB. (A birthday gift from my bride of 30 years) 
>>> 
>>> Dick 
>>>> On May 12, 2020, at 7:56 AM, Glenn Franco via 6pack <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>>> The rear shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss Motors, TRF, Vicky Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock crossmember being fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of these and this is a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are going to use these is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount 45 deg down to the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a number of these from 1" thick wall tube. 
>>> The problem with this conversion is its to simple to attach but it imparts fore aft loads on the crossmember that causes fractures and then if fails completely and detaches from the frame. 
>>> The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loads and therefore no issues. We just had another club member suffer such a failure of the shock crossmember. 
>>> If you ever have to fix one of these your in for a treat since not only does it pull away from the frame but it tends to twist that crossmember. 
>>> This bracket should not be confused with the one TRF sold that the upper shock mount attaches to the inner rear wheel well. That one has its own issues. 
>>> Good luck with that 
>>> Glenn 
>>> _______________________________________________ 
>>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html 
>>> Suggested annual donation $12.96 
>>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
>>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
>>> [email-masked] 
>>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________ 
>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html 
>> Suggested annual donation $12.96 
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
>> 
>> [email-masked] 
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 
>> 
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked] 

------------------------------ 

Subject: Digest Footer 

_______________________________________________ 
6pack mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack 

------------------------------ 

End of 6pack Digest, Vol 64, Issue 11 
************************************* 

--=_b50362be-c8fc-4f20-a34f-062a3a359266
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-s=
ize: 10pt; color: #000000"><div>Thank you, Mark!</div><div><br data-mce-bog=
us=3D"1"></div><div>With all that damage, please don't worry about a 1 hour=
 lag in email transmission. In these times, that's hardly relevant.</div><d=
iv><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>Be safe</div><div>Colin</div><div><b=
r></div><hr id=3D"zwchr" data-marker=3D"__DIVIDER__"><div data-marker=3D"__=
HEADERS__"><b>From: </b>[email-masked]<br><b>To: </b>6pack@au=
tox.team.net<br><b>Sent: </b>Thursday, May 14, 2020 11:00:03 AM<br><b>Subje=
ct: </b>6pack Digest, Vol 64, Issue 11<br></div><div><br></div><div data-ma=
rker=3D"__QUOTED_TEXT__">Send 6pack mailing list submissions to<br>&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>To subs=
cribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>=
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to<br>&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>Yo=
u can reach the person managing the list at<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>When replying, please=
 edit your Subject line so it is more specific<br>than "Re: Contents of 6pa=
ck digest..."<br><br><br>Today's Topics:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Possible Te=
am Net outage (Mark J Bradakis)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Re: Possible Team Net ou=
tage (andrew uprichard)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Re: rear shock conversion (Richa=
rd)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. Re: rear shock conversion (Richard)<br><br><br>-----=
-----------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Me=
ssage: 1<br>Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 16:00:36 -0600<br>From: Mark J Bradakis =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: list 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br=
>Subject: [6pack] Possible Team Net outage<br>Message-ID: &lt;92d765a1-cbc1=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; chars=
et=3Dutf-8; format=3Dflowed<br><br>We had some severe wind gusts in Salt La=
ke Monday afternoon, about half <br>of a large tree blew over, sort of hitt=
ing the garage and some cars.? <br>Take a look at http://bradakis.com/net_w=
ire.jpg to get an idea of what <br>happened.? Inside that marked off area y=
ou can see a black wire.? That <br>is Team Net's connection to the world. G=
etting all the fallen branches <br>off that wire is beyond my capabilities.=
? We've contacted some <br>professional tree removers, haven't heard back y=
et, so not sure when the <br>mess will be cleaned up.<br><br>So basically i=
f we get more wind gusts over the next day or two all that <br>debris could=
 shift and take out that network cable.? And Team Net would <br>be off the =
air for who knows how long.? So be aware of that <br>possibility.? If it ha=
ppens, you might be seeing a status message from <br>[email-masked] tha=
t may look suspicious at first glance.? It will be <br>from me.<br><br>And =
another note, the old problem of delayed email seems to be occurring <br>ag=
ain.? Currently the delay is one the order of an hour or so, I'll be <br>lo=
oking into the situation.<br><br>Fun times indeed!<br><br>mjb.<br><br><br><=
br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 2<br>Date: Wed, 13 Ma=
y 2020 18:52:26 -0400<br>From: "andrew uprichard" &lt;auprichard@uprichard.=
net&gt;<br>To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: &lt;tri=
[email-masked]&gt;,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&l=
t;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [6pack] Possible Team Net outage=
<br>Message-ID: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Co=
ntent-Type: text/plain;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;char=
set=3D"utf-8"<br><br>But were the cars OK??<br><br>Andrew<br><br>-----Origi=
nal Message-----<br>From: 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt; On Beh=
alf Of Mark J Bradakis via 6pack<br>Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:01 PM<b=
r>To: list 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [6pack] Possible =
Team Net outage<br><br>We had some severe wind gusts in Salt Lake Monday af=
ternoon, about half of a large tree blew over, sort of hitting the garage a=
nd some cars. Take a look at http://bradakis.com/net_wire.jpg to get an ide=
a of what happened. &nbsp;Inside that marked off area you can see a black w=
ire. &nbsp;That is Team Net's connection to the world. Getting all the fall=
en branches off that wire is beyond my capabilities. &nbsp;We've contacted =
some professional tree removers, haven't heard back yet, so not sure when t=
he mess will be cleaned up.<br><br>So basically if we get more wind gusts o=
ver the next day or two all that debris could shift and take out that netwo=
rk cable. &nbsp;And Team Net would be off the air for who knows how long. &=
nbsp;So be aware of that possibility. &nbsp;If it happens, you might be see=
ing a status message from [email-masked] that may look suspicious at fi=
rst glance. &nbsp;It will be from me.<br><br>And another note, the old prob=
lem of delayed email seems to be occurring again. &nbsp;Currently the delay=
 is one the order of an hour or so, I'll be looking into the situation.<br>=
<br>Fun times indeed!<br><br>mjb.<br><br><br>______________________________=
_________________<br>Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Sugge=
sted annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<b=
r>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br><br>[email-masked]<br>http://=
autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]<br><br><br><br><=
br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 3<br>Date: Wed, 13 May 20=
20 15:55:41 -0700<br>From: Richard &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Mi=
tchel Seff &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>Subject: Re: [6pack] rear shock conversion<br>Message-ID: &lt;95F204D=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;charset=3Dutf-8<br><br>Ah Mitc=
h....you cheated!! <br><br>Dick <br><br>&gt; On May 13, 2020, at 3:32 PM, M=
itchel Seff &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I agree with D=
icks explanation of preparation and function. I?m not denying the failures =
but rather try and understand why each particular failure happened. I have =
also had the VB tube shock bracket with KYB gas shock on my car for over tw=
enty years with out any failure or sign of metal fatigue. I also took the e=
xtra precaution of adding a support bracket. <br>&gt; &lt;image0.jpeg&gt;<b=
r>&gt; <br>&gt; &lt;image1.jpeg&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; Mitc=
h Seff<br>&gt; <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On May 12, 2020, at 4:47 PM, Richard Ta=
ylor via 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; ?My mess=
age here, as told before on different TR6 forums, is that if one wants to c=
onvert from lever shocks to tube shocks, it is prudent that when the traili=
ng arm rises the trailing arm bump stop(s) take the force, and not the shoc=
k attachment points. This can be checked by removing the road spring and ma=
nual lifting the TA up to see where contact is made. In my case, when done =
approx. 10 years and around 70,000 miles ago. A 1/8 inch spacer was added w=
here it screws to the new TA bump rubbers. Also some shifting around to the=
 shock bump rubbers, so that there was room left in the shock stroke when h=
ard contact was made between the bump stop and the bump rubbers. Also note =
here that i?m running the ?semi-comp? road springs, so it?s not often that =
all of the spring compression takes place. <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; I write this no=
t to defend the tube shock conversion, but to show that this conversion nee=
ds to be checked out to be sure the above takes place. And no, the attachme=
nt point from my conversion has never torn loose or welded at any time. I d=
o view this area each time the road wheel is removed for some other reason.=
 <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; So far as what I look for regarding shock operation is no=
t all that scientific. Just press down with my weight on the rear fenders s=
everal times and watch the action, I want both bounce and rebound to show a=
 good damping effect. <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; In place is the KYB silver shock con=
version, purchased from VB. (A birthday gift from my bride of 30 years) <br=
>&gt;&gt;&gt; <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Dick <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On May 12, 2020, a=
t 7:56 AM, Glenn Franco via 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&g=
t;&gt;&gt; The rear shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss Motors, TRF,=
 Vicky Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock crossmember =
being fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of these and t=
his is a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are going to use=
 these is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount 45 deg dow=
n to the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a number of the=
se from 1" thick wall tube.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; The problem with this conversio=
n is its to simple to attach but it imparts fore aft loads on the crossmemb=
er that causes fractures and then if fails completely and detaches from the=
 frame.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loads and th=
erefore no issues. We just had another club member suffer such a failure of=
 the shock crossmember.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; If you ever have to fix one of thes=
e your in for a treat since not only does it pull away from the frame but i=
t tends to twist that crossmember.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; This bracket should not =
be confused with the one TRF sold that the upper shock mount attaches to th=
e inner rear wheel well. That one has its own issues.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Good =
luck with that<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Glenn<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; ______________________=
_________________________<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Support Team.Net http://www.team.=
net/donate.html<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>&=
gt;&gt;&gt; Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Forums: ht=
tp://www.team.net/forums<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; [email-masked]<br>&gt;&gt;&g=
t; http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Unsubscribe=
/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]=
<br>&gt;&gt; <br>&gt;&gt; _______________________________________________<b=
r>&gt;&gt; Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>&gt;&gt; Sug=
gested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>&gt;&gt; Archive: http://www.team.ne=
t/archive<br>&gt;&gt; Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>&gt;&gt; <br>&g=
t;&gt; [email-masked]<br>&gt;&gt; http://autox.team.net/mailman/listi=
nfo/6pack<br>&gt;&gt; <br>&gt;&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.ne=
t/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]<br><br><br><br>---------------=
---------------<br><br>Message: 4<br>Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:55:41 -0700<=
br>From: Richard &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Mitchel Seff &lt;ms6=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re:=
 [6pack] rear shock conversion<br>Message-ID: &lt;95F204D4-DACD-482E-822B-0=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;charset=3Dutf-8<br><br>Ah Mitch....you cheated!!=
 <br><br>Dick <br><br>&gt; On May 13, 2020, at 3:32 PM, Mitchel Seff &lt;ms=
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I agree with Dicks explanation o=
f preparation and function. I?m not denying the failures but rather try and=
 understand why each particular failure happened. I have also had the VB tu=
be shock bracket with KYB gas shock on my car for over twenty years with ou=
t any failure or sign of metal fatigue. I also took the extra precaution of=
 adding a support bracket. <br>&gt; &lt;image0.jpeg&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; &l=
t;image1.jpeg&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; Mitch Seff<br>&gt; <br=
>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On May 12, 2020, at 4:47 PM, Richard Taylor via 6pack &lt=
;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; ?My message here, as told =
before on different TR6 forums, is that if one wants to convert from lever =
shocks to tube shocks, it is prudent that when the trailing arm rises the t=
railing arm bump stop(s) take the force, and not the shock attachment point=
s. This can be checked by removing the road spring and manual lifting the T=
A up to see where contact is made. In my case, when done approx. 10 years a=
nd around 70,000 miles ago. A 1/8 inch spacer was added where it screws to =
the new TA bump rubbers. Also some shifting around to the shock bump rubber=
s, so that there was room left in the shock stroke when hard contact was ma=
de between the bump stop and the bump rubbers. Also note here that i?m runn=
ing the ?semi-comp? road springs, so it?s not often that all of the spring =
compression takes place. <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; I write this not to defend the tu=
be shock conversion, but to show that this conversion needs to be checked o=
ut to be sure the above takes place. And no, the attachment point from my c=
onversion has never torn loose or welded at any time. I do view this area e=
ach time the road wheel is removed for some other reason. <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; =
So far as what I look for regarding shock operation is not all that scienti=
fic. Just press down with my weight on the rear fenders several times and w=
atch the action, I want both bounce and rebound to show a good damping effe=
ct. <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; In place is the KYB silver shock conversion, purchased=
 from VB. (A birthday gift from my bride of 30 years) <br>&gt;&gt;&gt; <br>=
&gt;&gt;&gt; Dick <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On May 12, 2020, at 7:56 AM, Glenn F=
ranco via 6pack &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; The rea=
r shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss Motors, TRF, Vicky Brit, and o=
thers is likely going to result in the shock crossmember being fractured at=
 the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of these and this is a well know=
n failure mode. The best practice if you are going to use these is to fashi=
on a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount 45 deg down to the frame. I =
have seen some made from angle but I made a number of these from 1" thick w=
all tube.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; The problem with this conversion is its to simple=
 to attach but it imparts fore aft loads on the crossmember that causes fra=
ctures and then if fails completely and detaches from the frame.<br>&gt;&gt=
;&gt; The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loads and therefore no issues.=
 We just had another club member suffer such a failure of the shock crossme=
mber.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; If you ever have to fix one of these your in for a tr=
eat since not only does it pull away from the frame but it tends to twist t=
hat crossmember.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; This bracket should not be confused with t=
he one TRF sold that the upper shock mount attaches to the inner rear wheel=
 well. That one has its own issues.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Good luck with that<br>=
&gt;&gt;&gt; Glenn<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; ________________________________________=
_______<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br=
>&gt;&gt;&gt; Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Archiv=
e: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Forums: http://www.team.net/=
forums<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; [email-masked]<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]<br>&gt;&gt; <br>&=
gt;&gt; _______________________________________________<br>&gt;&gt; Support=
 Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>&gt;&gt; Suggested annual dona=
tion &nbsp;$12.96<br>&gt;&gt; Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt;&=
gt; Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>&gt;&gt; <br>&gt;&gt; 6pack@autox=
.team.net<br>&gt;&gt; http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br>&gt;&=
gt; <br>&gt;&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/=
6pack/[email-masked]<br><br><br><br>------------------------------<br=
><br>Subject: Digest Footer<br><br>________________________________________=
_______<br>6pack mailing list<br>[email-masked]<br>http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/listinfo/6pack<br><br><br>------------------------------<br><br=
>End of 6pack Digest, Vol 64, Issue 11<br>*********************************=
****<br></div></div></body></html>
--=_b50362be-c8fc-4f20-a34f-062a3a359266--

--===============5590177823742372006==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/6pack

--===============5590177823742372006==--