Subject: [Bricklin] BI forum

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:45:35 -0500

For me all I get is a blank screen.  Another instance of trying to fix
someting that more or less worked and making it totally useless. Someone
claimed this was because I do not have the newest computer.  But since
others are also having problems it is not just me. Besides we all have
cars that are older than my compter by several factors.
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 14:42:05 +0000
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Bricklin] BI forum
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi gang,
>
> I would like to know how many of you can access, browse, use and post
> messages on the BI forum.
> A friend of mine told me he has full access to the forums and lots of
> messages have been posted for some time.
> When I log in, I do get a "You logged on successfully! Thanks for your
> participation!". However, I have no access whatsoever to the vins
> forums, tech forums etc. nothing. If I try to login from the header,
> on top of the page, asking for an email instead of a username, I'm not
> even identified.
> The "new forum" has also vanished.
>
> I use Windows 7 Home, up-to-date, and I've been trying with the
> lastest version of Firefox (#39) with the latest java (8.50) and also
> with the latest Internet Explorer (#11) with the latest java too.
>
> Would my account have a problem?
> To whom may I ask about this?
>
> Eric
> #2643
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:22:19 +0000

Hi gang,
I replaced my wheel bearings (A2, A6 + seal 7022S, all from National
(Federal Mogul I believe)) before I took on a 680 mile trip.
The passenger side started to be noisy after 375 miles, to become a
non stopping loud noise. Around 400+ miles, from times to times, the
car started to steer to the right with an added noise. Just a couple
of times actually since I quickly deemed this was not sustainable and
quickly pulled over.
I jacked up my B and I released a bit (1/4 circle) the screw for the
bearings.
I was then able to drive home, slowly 20-35 mph, while checking the
temperature of the centercap from times to times.

When the bearings were replaced, the tightening torque was checked on
internet and 2 values were found: 1/4 circle and 1/2 circle.
I think 1/2 circle was used.
What I think is odd are the followings:
- if the bearings were bad / tightening torque wrong, both sides
should have failed within the first 60 miles
- why only the passenger side failed and not the driver? A faulty
bearing is possible but isn't much probable

Anyway, I got to re-purchase the bearings and replace them. Would you
have any knowledge about the tightening torque please?

Eric
#2643

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:33:50 -0400

At 05:22 PM 8/18/2015, [email-masked] wrote:

 >I replaced my wheel bearings (A2, A6 + seal 7022S, all from 
National (Federal
 >Mogul I believe)) before I took on a 680 mile trip.  The passenger 
side started to
 >be noisy after 375 miles, to become a non stopping loud noise. Around 400+
 >miles, from times to times, the car started to steer to the right 
with an added
 >noise. Just a couple of times actually since I quickly deemed this was not
 >sustainable and quickly pulled over. .....

 >internet and 2 values were found: 1/4 circle and 1/2 circle.  I 
think 1/2 circle was
 >used.

Eric,

The first comment is, did you repack the bearing?  Then if so did you 
use a bearing packer and grease gun, or did you do it by 
hand?  Personally I've always
used a bearing packer and grease gun.

Did you put a lot of surplus grease in the center of the hub?  You should.

 >have any knowledge about the tightening torque please?

Assuming that you did pack the bearing, I usually take the nut up 
snug then back
off 1/2 turn.

 From my AMC maintenance manual:

Place the hub assembly onto the spindle and install the outer 
bearing.   Install the wheel bearing nut and tighten it until the hub 
binds while turning.  Back off the nut about 1/6 - 1/4 turn to free 
the bearing.  Install new cotter pin.

So I guess it depends on how tight you originally tightened the nut.

 >- if the bearings were bad / tightening torque wrong, both sides 
should have failed
 >  within the first 60 miles

As to why it failed, that is a good question.  Did you hit a bad pot 
hole, or something in the road?  It's possible that you over 
tightened the nut so when
you back it off, it didn't loosen enough.  Or as you said it could have been a
bad bearing.  Did you replace the races?  It's possible that the race 
was scratched
when installing it, especially if you did it with a drift and hammer 
instead of with a
press.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 09:41:41 +0000

Thanks for your answers,
If I understand correctly, "repack the bearing" is about the grease?
Yes of course, it was properly repacked, old school style by hand, by
my mech buddy.
I didn't manage to identify what are the bearing races (I tried with
the parts catalog), but for sure these were not replaced since only
the bearings A2, A6 and 7022S seal were. However, the "housing" of the
bearing was scratch free when the new stuff was put inside it.

I was mistaken, the nut was backed off about 1/4 turn, not half, so
this may have been too tight compared to your recommended 1/2 turn.
On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 10:36 PM, "John T. Blair"  wrote:At

National (Federal
side started to
with an added

think 1/2 circle was

Eric,

Did you put a lot of surplus grease in the center of the hub?  You
should.

should have failed

you back it off, it didn't loosen enough.  Or as you said it could
have been a

John

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of wheelhub.png]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive