Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Gas cap

From: "Fedeli, Joe DLA CIV TROOP SUPPORT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 20:02:01 +0000

Yes...not vented.

joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Bricklin [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John T.
Blair
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 3:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Bricklin] Gas cap

Hey gang,

I just got a question about the gas caps.  Are they vented or not?  I don't
think they were vented, otherwise they would not have the fume tank and the
return tube for the fumes to the tank.

I went out to look at my car, and I don't have the gas cap on the car.  In
fact I don't have the ring attached to the panel behind the license plate
holder and I can't find it in my garage right now.  So I figured it would be
best to get some help on answering this question.

If I remember the cap correctly it was just round with cupped (ridged) outer
edge, smooth convex cover and I think some printing stamped into it.

TIA

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: GREG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 20:31:28 +0000 (UTC)

John, 

I do not believe they are vented. I replaced my filler neck with one from a 75 and there is a ton of vacuum on it when I remove the cap. 

Greg 0036

---

From: Pugs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:06:22 -0600

Will send u pic

Pugs Pivirotto

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 1:30 PM, "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hey gang,
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Christopher Blizzard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:13:12 -0700

The cap on my 1974 is not vented.  It seals well.  There is a vent, on top of
the fuel tank that runs through a flexible line to a hard line that runs to
the front of the car, showing up just in between the brake booster and the
driver's side tire well.  If you're getting vacuum when removing the cap it's
likely that your vent lines are plugged or the vent on your tank has rusted.

My car has never had anything in the engine compartment - I suspect there's
supposed to be some kind of charcoal container and that might have a one-way
valve that might cause vacuum, but seems unlikely given that the fuel pump
needs to pull fuel out of the tank and vacuum would be bad.

--Chris

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 12:30 PM, John T. Blair <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hey gang,
>
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Christopher Blizzard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:14:54 -0700

Just so you can visualize, the gas cap I got for my '74 is a Stant 10705:

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10705-Fuel-Cap/dp/B000B8N3HI
<http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10705-Fuel-Cap/dp/B000B8N3HI>

You can find other pictures of the underside.  Just uses a simple rubber seal
on the end of the tank fill.

--Chris

---

From: "Brett Kelsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 20:17:59 -0400

I've always had a vacuum release when I open the gas cap. I've never had any
vapor lock or other fuel issues. Are we sure the tank is/should vented?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bricklin [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Christopher Blizzard
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:13 PM
To: John T. Blair
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Gas cap

The cap on my 1974 is not vented.  It seals well.  There is a vent, on top
of the fuel tank that runs through a flexible line to a hard line that runs
to the front of the car, showing up just in between the brake booster and
the driver's side tire well.  If you're getting vacuum when removing the cap
it's likely that your vent lines are plugged or the vent on your tank has
rusted.

--Chris

> I just got a question about the gas caps.  Are they vented or not?  I 
> don't think they were vented, otherwise they would not have the fume 
> tank and the
>
> I went out to look at my car, and I don't have the gas cap on the car.  
> In fact I don't have the ring attached to the panel behind the license 
> plate
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation  
> $11.47
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Christopher Blizzard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 17:24:44 -0700

Mine definitely has an open vent. I know because I had to have the tank
rebuilt and pulled it as part of that.

Sent from a portable phone device thing

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 5:17 PM, Brett Kelsey <[email-masked]> wrote:
>