Subject: [Bricklin] Brake question - Rear drums brakes

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 10:48:46 +0200

Hi friends,

my annual check of my SV-1 shows up, that the rear drums are not working
equally.

I have tried to get the drum off the axle (passenger side), but nothing
happens:

I have disassembled the 3 little bolts and checked if the emergency brake is
OFF

The drum rotates almost free (just < it is slightly stiff).

I used a hammer to loosen the rust connection between drum and axle hub.
Nothing..

So, my suggest was that the shoes are still too tight to the drum. Than I
have tried to loosen the adjusting screw thru the maintenance holes, but I
cant see in which direction is the right.

Both directions were very stiff to move. Again nothing..

Any hints how I can get the drum off? In which direction I have to push the
adjusting screw to loosen the shoes?

Thanks in advance and

Greetings from Germany

Sven Koch #2224
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 22:36:32 -0400

>I have tried to get the drum off the axle (passenger side), but nothing

Sven,

Chances are that your drum has warn a little.  The shoes usually 
don't fit across the entire drum surface and consiquently wear like a 
"L" laying down with the short foot of the L towards the outside.  So 
you'll have to retrace the shoes a lot.

As to which direction, that is always a problem.  Adjust in one 
direction.  If the drum gets very tight and won't turn, then you've 
expanded the shoes as though you'd put on the brakes.  So go in the 
other direction a long ways.  As you go you can try and wiggle the 
drum.  If it doesn't wiggle at all, the it can be rusted to the
hub.  As Scott sent the video link, try gently tapping the drum with 
a hammer or using a screw to try and jack it off the hub.  Keep in 
mind, it may not come if the
shoes aren't retracted enough.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive