Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Brake question - Rear drums brakes

From: Scott Isensee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 18:04:56 -0400

You are doing the right things. I don't recall which direction the star wheel needs to turn, but it is usually pretty obvious because in one direction the adjuster lever resists or stops turning of the star wheel.

Here is a video with another technique to try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po-WXqIKjHQ   You can also buy or rent a drum puller tool.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: sk-svenkoch <[email-masked]>
To: Bricklin <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, May 15, 2016 4:55 pm
Subject: [Bricklin] Brake question - Rear drums brakes

Hi friends,

my annual check of my SV-1 shows up, that the rear drums are not working
equally.

I have tried to get the drum off the axle (passenger side), but nothing
happens:

I have disassembled the 3 little bolts and checked if the emergency brake is
OFF

The drum rotates almost free (just < it is slightly stiff).

I used a hammer to loosen the rust connection between drum and axle hub.
Nothing..

So, my suggest was that the shoes are still too tight to the drum. Than I
have tried to loosen the adjusting screw thru the maintenance holes, but I
cant see in which direction is the right.

Both directions were very stiff to move. Again nothing..

Any hints how I can get the drum off? In which direction I have to push the
adjusting screw to loosen the shoes?

Thanks in advance and

Greetings from Germany

Sven Koch #2224
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Paul J. Amoroso, CPA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 00:10:55 -0400

Hi;

I had a similar problem with mine last summer.

First make _sure_ the _three_ little screws are out - in the front side 
of the drum, as you look at it.  You mentioned you did.

My wheel cylinder leaked all over the shoe and ate into and expanded the 
lining.  So it was crumbling and rolling up on itself to resist the drum 
from sliding past it.  I finally determined that even if I ruined the 
drum, I had to get it off of there.  I held a crowbar behind the back 
edge of the drum, prying and putting pressure on it to slide it out, and 
took a four pound hammer and just kept hitting it - very hard - in the 
front and out towards the corner edge.  I pried the crowbar at different 
places too. Then all of a sudden it started to move.  Success!

Hope yours would do the same.

Good luck on your 41 year old - it's a '75 - by the S/N.  (Mine is too.)

Paul Amoroso

Pittsburgh, PA

#1207

On 05/15/16 4:48 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]