Subject: Re: [Bricklin] How to fasten the front wheel bearing

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 13:46:26 -0400

At 05:46 PM 5/15/2016, sven koch wrote:

 >the 4 screws of the mounting plate for the front wheel.  Getting everything
 >together was not a big challenge, but now my question is how to 
tight/ adjust the
 >wheel bearing.

Sven,

Quoting from the Chilton's AMC manual,

"Place the hub assembly onto the spindle and install the inner 
lockring and outer bearing.  Install the wheel bearing nut and torque 
it to 50 Ft Lb, while turning the wheel back and forth to seat the 
bearings.  Back off the nut about 1/4 turn (90deg) max."

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Christopher Blizzard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 15:49:44 -0700

The Bricklin manual has something different. It says to install the bearings,
tighten to 20-25 ft-lbs while turning the hub to seat the bearings. Then back
off about 1/3 of a turn and tighten the bolt to 2-10 inch lbs. (inch!). So
that works too.

Sent from a portable phone device thing

> On May 16, 2016, at 10:46 AM, John T. Blair <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 12:54:55 +0000

Sven,

I had to replace my front wheel bearings last year, and unfortunately, the passenger side failed after 600 km. I think the wheel nut was probably tightened a bit too much: the nuts were backed off about a 1/4 turn (according to AMC documentation). I inquired about that on the mailing list right here, and according to the feedback I got (thank you again guys ;), it is supposed to be tightened until the hub binds while turning, then backed off about a half turn, rather than a 1/4 turn. Granted, it may depends too on how tight the nut is originally tightened...
Eventually, when I replaced the bearings again, the nuts were tightened until they binded (turn your disc/rotor from times to times to eliminate the slack), but then with a half turn, the nut really felt loose, so it was rather backed off about a third turn. I put more than a thousand kilometers on the odometer, drove the car in the tight curves of a mountainous area and both sides have been fine.

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 2:17 AM, "Christopher Blizzard" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/bricklin/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 18:14:11 +0200

All,

Thanks for the lot of good hints and sorry for late response, but som of you
got lC6st in my Spam folder...

I will try it next weekend band keep you updated.

RegardsB 

Sven Koch #2224

GesendetB vonB meinemB BlackBerryB 10-Smartphone.
B  Originalnachricht B 
Von: [email-masked]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Mai 2016 14:54
An: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Bricklin] How to fasten the front wheel bearing

Sven,

I had to replace my front wheel bearings last year, and unfortunately, the
passenger side failed after 600 km. I think the wheel nut was probably
tightened a bit too much: the nuts were backed off about a 1/4 turn (according
to AMC documentation). I inquired about that on the mailing list right here,
and according to the feedback I got (thank you again guys ;), it is supposed
to be tightened until the hub binds while turning, then backed off about a
half turn, rather than a 1/4 turn. Granted, it may depends too on how tight
the nut is originally tightened...
Eventually, when I replaced the bearings again, the nuts were tightened until
they binded (turn your disc/rotor from times to times to eliminate the slack),
but then with a half turn, the nut really felt loose, so it was rather backed
off about a third turn. I put more than a thousand kilometers on the odometer,
drove the car in the tight curves of a mountainous area and both sides have
been fine.