Subject: Re: [Healeys] BT7 update

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:50:20 -0700

I am very impressed with the metal work you have done to save some 
very rusted healeys!

BTW, I have a few buckets of rusted healey bolts, some rusted metal 
panels that I cut out along with some frame parts. They will all fit 
in a 4'x4'x4' box. I will send them to you so you can build another healey. :-)

Cheers,
John

At 06:05 PM 4/9/2012 +1000, Larry Varley wrote:
>Work is progressing on my BT7, so I have posted a few images on my 
>website. While the panels are away, I'm busily working out parts I 
>need, and preparing mechanical bits. Sandblaster at work is coming 
>in very handy................
>  http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/30002.html
>Cheers
>Larry Varley
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:15:03 -0700

Great idea!

I'll bet we have enough spare parts between us all to build at least one BNTJ124678-4/6/3000 MKX Phase 0  ('X' for 
Experimental, of course).

What's your address, Larry?

Bob

On 4/18/2012 4:50 PM, john spaur wrote:
> I am very impressed with the metal work you have done to save some very rusted healeys!
>
> BTW, I have a few buckets of rusted healey bolts, some rusted metal panels that I cut out along with some frame parts. 
> They will all fit in a 4'x4'x4' box. I will send them to you so you can build another healey. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> John
>
>> Work is progressing on my BT7, so I have posted a few images on my website. While the panels are away, I'm busily 
>> working out parts I need, and preparing mechanical bits. Sandblaster at work is coming in very handy................

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:33:07 +1000

Hi John, I'll take you up on that, just make sure you include the body 
number plates :) And Bob with a number like that ( I especially like the 
X at the end ) were talking a new all time record Healey auction price! 
Move over NOJ.
It does raise an interesting point, I bought this car for $2500.00 and 
it was basically complete. I could have spent $20,000.00 for a car and 
ended up throwing half of what I paid for in the bin anyway. At the 
$20,000.00 level I will have the remains and a brand new Kilmartin frame 
with the extra stiffening web in the centre of the rails, fitted with 
new bulkheads. If you have to replace the bottom quater of a mudguard, 
does it cost any more to replace the bottom half? Do I want a chassis in 
my car that is 50 years old that rusts from the inside out? What use is 
the old trim when your restoring a car? Is a half worn out engine less 
expensive to rebuild than a totally seized engine? One the down side on 
this car is the level of corrosion on mechanical components, I'll post 
some images soon, but it's quite amazing. Thankfully most of them are 
easy to get and not expensive.
Anyway, it's all good fun
Cheers
Larry

On 19/04/2012 9:50 AM, john spaur wrote:
>> need, and preparing mechanical bits. Sandblaster at work is coming in 
>> very handy................

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:58:15 +0800

Looks great Larry.  Given what you had to work with, you should have
converted this into a UTE!  Then you'd have something to haul the old
chassis to the dump.

Alan

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Larry Varley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> number plates :) And Bob with a number like that ( I especially like the X
> at the end ) were talking a new all time record Healey auction price! Move
> over NOJ.
> It does raise an interesting point, I bought this car for $2500.00 and it
> was basically complete. I could have spent $20,000.00 for a car and ended
> up throwing half of what I paid for in the bin anyway. At the $20,000.00
> level I will have the remains and a brand new Kilmartin frame with the
> extra stiffening web in the centre of the rails, fitted with new bulkheads.
> If you have to replace the bottom quater of a mudguard, does it cost any
> more to replace the bottom half? Do I want a chassis in my car that is 50
> years old that rusts from the inside out? What use is the old trim when
> your restoring a car? Is a half worn out engine less expensive to rebuild
> than a totally seized engine? One the down side on this car is the level of
> corrosion on mechanical components, I'll post some images soon, but it's
> quite amazing. Thankfully most of them are easy to get and not expensive.

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:23:59 +1000

Bob, Excellent idea, however I have a ute :) And it hauls Healey parts 
quite successfully
http://www.redbubble.com/people/larryvarley/works/4046568-vanguard
http://www.redbubble.com/people/larryvarley/works/5688504-the-mechanic
Cheers
Larry

On 19/04/2012 5:58 PM, Alan Seigrist wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Larry Varley <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi John, I'll take you up on that, just make sure you include the
>     body number plates :) And Bob with a number like that ( I
>     especially like the X at the end ) were talking a new all time
>     record Healey auction price! Move over NOJ.
>     It does raise an interesting point, I bought this car for $2500.00
>     and it was basically complete. I could have spent $20,000.00 for a
>     car and ended up throwing half of what I paid for in the bin
>     anyway. At the $20,000.00 level I will have the remains and a
>     brand new Kilmartin frame with the extra stiffening web in the
>     centre of the rails, fitted with new bulkheads. If you have to
>     replace the bottom quater of a mudguard, does it cost any more to
>     replace the bottom half? Do I want a chassis in my car that is 50
>     years old that rusts from the inside out? What use is the old trim
>     when your restoring a car? Is a half worn out engine less
>     expensive to rebuild than a totally seized engine? One the down
>     side on this car is the level of corrosion on mechanical
>     components, I'll post some images soon, but it's quite amazing.
>     Thankfully most of them are easy to get and not expensive.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rich Chrysler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:24:09 -0400

I absolutely must agree with Larry's view on resurrecting a car that is so
far gone it needs a new chassis frame and virtually no stone can be left
unturned. These can be bought cheap so the total initial investment dollars
can be very low. Just be prepared to end up with at least the same money in
the car by the time it's finished, but you'll know every inch of the car and
the quality that's gone into it from beginning to end.
Probably the biggest difference here is realizing that as the owner you
likely won't have the talent or the time to build up the metal onto the new
Kilmartin chassis so be prepared to hand those aspects to the professional
shop with the experience to do so, and make sure it's one shop seeing all
the metalwork through from beginning to end.
Meanwhile, if desired the owner can be involved rebuilding other areas of
the car to save some total labour time.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BT7 update
Larry Varley Wrote: <snip>

It does raise an interesting point, I bought this car for $2500.00 and it
was basically complete. I could have spent $20,000.00 for a car and ended up
throwing half of what I paid for in the bin anyway. At the
$20,000.00 level I will have the remains and a brand new Kilmartin frame
with the extra stiffening web in the centre of the rails, fitted with new
bulkheads. If you have to replace the bottom quater of a mudguard, does it
cost any more to replace the bottom half? Do I want a chassis in my car that
is 50 years old that rusts from the inside out? What use is the old trim
when your restoring a car? Is a half worn out engine less expensive to
rebuild than a totally seized engine? One the down side on this car is the
level of corrosion on mechanical components, I'll post some images soon, but
it's quite amazing. Thankfully most of them are easy to get and not
expensive.
Anyway, it's all good fun
Cheers
Larry
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]