Subject: [Healeys] fitting piston/caliper seals

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:06:00 +0100

Hi, 

Can someone kindly remind me of the proper/easiest way to fit the seals into
my MkII BT7's callipers? I'm referring to the rubber boot things that go
into the outer groove within the bore and the groove around the top of the
piston.

Likewise, don't I recall that the inner seal was slightly tapered? My new
ones are square in cross section.

Simon
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:58:55 -0700

I fit them to the bottom of piston then fit them to the caliper and 
push the piston into the bore if I recall correctly.

John

At 06:06 PM 4/26/2012 +0100, Simon Lachlan wrote:
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:10:56 +0200

Hi Simon,
I have just done it with mine. Fit the rubber boot first with its lip to the
caliper. When the lip is properly in the groove, then push the piston in the
caliper and when its nearly at the end of travel the lip automatically jumps
in the groove of the piston. The most fiddling is to get the first step done -
rubber boot to caliper and to get the piston in passing the inner rubber
sealing ring. I use some Penrite rubber grease and grease the rubber boot and
sealing ring before fitting. You need most of the time for the first one to
get the trick.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Simon Lachlan
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 26. April 2012 19:06
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [Healeys] fitting piston/caliper seals

Hi,

Can someone kindly remind me of the proper/easiest way to fit the seals into
my MkII BT7's callipers? I'm referring to the rubber boot things that go into
the outer groove within the bore and the groove around the top of the piston.

Likewise, don't I recall that the inner seal was slightly tapered? My new ones
are square in cross section.

Simon

[email-masked]

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:31:30 +0000

All caliper seals are square section o-rings. They get that tapered look after
they have been in use for a long time. It is the deflection of the seal, and
its return to it's normal shape, that pulls the piston back after you let off
the brakes. After many years the seal becomes permanently deformed.

The trick for getting the boot to open up and fit around the piston (after the
initial fitting of the boot lip into the caliper bore) is to apply air, at a
very low pressure, to inflate the boot as you press the piston into the boot.
Of course, you have to first block off the other side by installing a piston
and clamping it in place so it doesn't blow blow out when you apply the air.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:06:00 +0100
> Subject: [Healeys] fitting piston/caliper seals
>
> Hi,
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Magnus Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:47:03 +0200

One method of fitting the boot is to first slide it over the piston and then
fit the boot lip into the caliper bore. That way it's very simple to press
home the piston with the boot in the correct  position both in the caliper and
and around the piston.

Magnus Karlsson

www.concourshealeys.com

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:02:45 -0500

I couldn't get the first set I bought to fit no matter what I tried, got a 
second set and they went in easy, when I got the second set it was clear the 
first was not very well made, I believe the 2nd set which fit well was 
Beck-Arnley

Greg Lemon

[email-masked]