Subject: [Healeys] Chasing Electrical Short

From: Bob Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:37:52 -0400

I have just refinished the wooden dash panel on my BJ8 and put everything
back together again. According to the wiring diagram and the pics I took as
I went along, everything is hooked up as before. Now I have a dead short
somewhere and I can't find it. A few years back I added an inline fuse
between the starter solenoid and the regulator (now just a buss since neg
ground conversion.) Car was doing fine before project. Now the fuse blows
when I turn the battery switch on. Not that it is revalent but hte fuse is
a Buss 35A. Had my wife look as I turned the batt switch and she saw a
flash in the fuse holder when I turned the switch. Sounds to me like a hot
wire is going to ground, but I don't see it. Anyone have any ideas of what
to do next? Is there a way to chase it with an ohmmeter?

Bob Johnson
BJ8
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom McCay - Classic-Car-World Ltd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:54:47 +0100

Hi Bob, sounds like a definite short to ground somewhere. Best way is to 
disconnect the battery and connect a lamp between the battery +ve and the 
battery cable you have disconnected. With a short in the system this will 
light the lamp. Start by disconnecting everything under the dash one at a 
time and whatever puts the light out when you disconnect it is the source of 
the short. Investigate this part of the circuit in detail to locate the 
problem.

Kindest Regards

Tom
Tom McCay - Director, CCW-Tools, a division of Classic-Car-World Ltd, 32 
Washingborough Road, Heighington, Lincoln, LN4 1RE. 01522 888178 (Tel) 0870 
705 9115 (fax) [email-masked]  www.ccw-tools.com

Registered address: 32 Washingborough Road, Heighington, Lincoln, LN4 1RE. 
Classic-Car-World Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with 
company number 3930761.  VAT registration number: 755 7630 05

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bob Johnson" <[email-masked]>
To: "Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:37 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Chasing Electrical Short

> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:22:02 -0400

Hi Bob,
I have had that proble3m before and I would suggest that you take a close
look at the ignition light socket.The originals were isolated from ground
but most harness manufacturers don't recognize that and use the same socket
as the dash illumination lights.

-- 
Michael Salter

        Check My Blog
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Bob Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:34:36 -0400

Wow! three replies in under an hour, all good. Tried Steve's first. Problem
is between ign and lighter, probably at lighter. Now to figure out what is
going on there. Can't be much, though.

Thanks for the help guys.

Bob Johnson
BJ8

[email-masked]