Subject: [Healeys] A day at work

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:58:00 -0600

A shot of my "office"

http://bradakis.com/Images/baileys420.jpg

That white BJ8 is giving us fits as we waffle between a carb problem with
the ignition or an ignition problem in the carb.  According to a session 
with
the timing light there is an intermittent drop out of spark.  Perhaps a 
ground
problem?

I didn't see a ground strap anywhere from the engine to the frame.  I'm 
going
to say there should be one, but I don't know Healeys.  Where should it be?

mjb.
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 03:36:50 +0200

Mark
The ground strap should be near the clutch slave cylinder, from one of 
the bolts that clamp engine and gearbox together and the frame, its not 
very long, maybe 4 inches or so.

Per

Mark J Bradakis skrev 2012-04-22 02:58:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 03:41:44 +0200

Or,,, is it on the other side? I'm getting second thoughts. Anyway, 
either left or right under the car at the engine backplate.

Per

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:04:34 -0500

<< On 4/21/2012 8:36 PM, Per Schoerner wrote:
> The ground strap should be near the clutch slave cylinder .... >>

Yep, Per.   Mark, the chassis "location" IS a threaded 'hole' just aft 
of motor/trans joint
on chassis inboard 'face'.  You MIGHT find that there is just a bolt 
head at this location
and only have a "washer" (or not - LOL) that you can see --- dat's it 
<G> ! ! !

Ed

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:38:37 -0600

Thanks for the replies, folks.  I always enjoy it when I get to benefit from
Team.Net ;-)

I should have mentioned in my original post that the car, "professionally"
restored in 2010, is fitted with a Mallory dual point distributor.  Just the
basic points and condensor setup, no electronic fanciness.

Monday I plan to take my old Craftsman timing light down to the shop.  There
have been occasions before where the fancy new electronic timing lights get
totally whacked out by the electrical noise generated by these old cars.

Sometimes you need period tools to work on period cars.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:51:54 +0100

Down near the starter on my BT7..
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Per Schoerner
Sent: 22 April 2012 02:42
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A day at work

Or,,, is it on the other side? I'm getting second thoughts. Anyway, either
left or right under the car at the engine backplate.

Per

Mark J Bradakis skrev 2012-04-22 02:58:
> That white BJ8 is giving us fits as we waffle between a carb problem 
> with the ignition or an ignition problem in the carb. According to a 
> session with the timing light there is an intermittent drop out of 
> spark. Perhaps a ground problem?
>
> going to say there should be one, but I don't know Healeys. Where 
> should it be?
>
> mjb.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual 
> donation $12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Niels Bengaard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:37:19 +0200

New timing lights arent that good for a Healey.
I have a Innova Equus 5568, that automatically senses when you run the 
engine and goes into that mode.
If it doesnt sense ignition it shows voltage. It can sense ignition for max 
10 sec, thats the time you have to put in the 15 deg. BTDC and also measure. 
It resets if it looses the ignition signal.

Niels

-----Oprindelig meddelelse----- 
From: Mark J Bradakis
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A day at work

mjb.

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: David Nock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:12:32 -0700

The Mallory Dual Point system is prone to the condensor coming loose  
as well as the points need to e maintained. Check the gaps they  
probably have closed up or the condensor has a bad connection to ground.

Some of the modern timing lights will not work correctly on the older  
ignition systems if you are using solid core plug wires. We have  
carbon wire that we install in place of the number 1 plug wire if  
there is a problem with the modern timing lights.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
Stockton Ca 95205
209-948-8767

www.britishcarspecialists.com
.
.

On Apr 21, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ 
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]