Subject: [Healeys] Spitting again

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 8:32:18 -0400

Thought I had discovered why my BJ8 was missing.  I had found a stuck pin in the dist cap and grease on the rotor contact, so cleaned everything up and miss stopped------for a while--then a little more missing.  Replaced the dist cap and all wires, rotor---ran great for a while then missing.  Now missing pretty bad.

So far:
I have replaced the rotor--no change
Replaced the dist cap--NC
replaced the wires--NC
Replaced the end caps on the wires---NC
Replaced the coil---NC (Lucus Sport)

Havent replaced the Pertronix (10 + years) since, as I understand it, when they go it is all of a sudden and you get no spark.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to persue next------I hear the FP pumping so assume there is sufficient fuel to the carbs.  

Also---I have checked the float bowls and they have fuel in them and are not stuck.

Thanks
tom
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: John Vrugtman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:05:53 -0400

Bad plug?

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:25:30 -0400

Thanks John---I forgot to mention that I also changed all plugs--------

I guess it could be a fuel starvation problem---maybe the FP is working intermittently.  

tom
---- John Vrugtman <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
Bad plug?

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:50:33 +0000

Sometimes oil mist gets up into the distributor and affects the points  ....
creating a misfire.  A simple check is to take a business card and drag it
through the points when they are closed. If you see a smudge on the card, it
is oil. That will temporarily fix the problem.  This actually happens
frequently when you use  synthetic oil as it can get past the bushings and up
into the top of the distributor and cause misfiring. .  A good fix for that is
to remove the distributor, invert it, and spray brake clean up into it to
flush out the oil film and residue.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:25:30 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spitting again
>
> > Thought I had discovered why my BJ8 was missing.  I had found a stuck pin
in the dist cap and grease on the rotor contact, so cleaned everything up and
miss stopped------for a while--then a little more missing.  Replaced the dist
cap and all wires, rotor---ran great for a while then missing.  Now missing
pretty bad.
> > Havent replaced the Pertronix (10 + years) since, as I understand it, when
they go it is all of a sudden and you get no spark.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas as to what to persue next------I hear the FP pumping
so assume there is sufficient fuel to the carbs.
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:34:07 -0600

I like how the heater valve is right above the distributor on certain cars,
not that I'd want to speak ill of MGBs or anything.  A little leaking water
can cause problems.

As for the BJ8 I mentioned the other day, it is running fine now, after
I replaced the points, condenser, rotor and cap on the Mallory dual point.
They are supposed to run better after I work on them, you know.

mjb.

[email-masked]