Subject: [Healeys] Brake calliper seals

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:49:09 +0100

Many thanks for all the replies. Well, I was doing almost everything
right.....I've always managed before by sliding the boot over the cylinder,
locating the seal into the piston and easing(!??**?) the piston inwards and
finally locating the boot on the piston.

Regarding the "almost everything", I had not noticed that the seals within
the pistons, as supplied with the new kit, were simply too big. Luckily I
had a pile of old ones and was able to go back to the original smaller size.
So, check the seals' size and save yourself some trouble.

I used LM grease as a lubricant which, hopefully will be flushed out in the
bleeding/fluid renewal process.

A footnote on the inner seals' profile. I remembered them as being tapered
and did find a reference to this in the Haynes manual:

"9) To reassemble, first fit the internal seal, previously wetted with
Castrol Girling Brake Fluid, into the groove in the cylinder bore with the
scraping edge (smaller diameter) innermost".

Simon 
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 01:28:21 +0000

Simon,

Please define "LM grease". If it is not the rubber grease as is sometimes
supplied in hydraulic rebuild kits then I would advise against using it. No
petroleum product should ever be used on the fluid side of a conventional
braking system. A petroleum lubricant will destroy your seals very quickly. I
had an oil leak on a Land Rover that soaked the boot on the clutch slave
cylinder. The boot swelled to about three times it's normal size in a couple
of days.

Rubber grease on the other hand is compounded from the same materials as brake
fluid.

Bill Lawrence

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:49:09 +0100
> Subject: [Healeys] Brake calliper seals
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]