Subject: [Healeys] Fw: Marvel Mystery Oil

From: "Dick Matson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:38:45 -0700

I acquired a 5-gallon 'drum' of Marvel Mystery Oil a long time ago.

I don't know if it's a placebo or if it is actually helpful but I used a
little as a fuel additive in every fill up of my vintage airplane - and
Farmall tractor also - for years.  The Continental engine in the airplane -
and the Farmall engine too - ran great.  So I still have a little left and add
a couple caps full in the Austin Healey gas tank once in a while.  Doesn't
seem to hurt a thing.

Dick Matson / Bj8
----- Original Message -----
From: Steven<mailto:[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:09 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Marvel Mystery Oil

Hi all,

I've got a 1961 BN7 with 72,000 miles and to my knowledge, it's never
had an engine rebuild.  I was thinking of adding some Marvel Mystery Oil
to clean out carbon deposits that I'm sure must exist.   Naturally I'm
very cautious about what I put in my engine.

Has anyone ever tried this stuff and if so, what were your results?

Thanks in advance,
Steve 61' BN7
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "Fred Crowley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:29:34 -0500

I buy castor oil in a gallon container (off the internet) and add a couple 
of glugs (must be very precisely measured) to about 5 gallons of gas in my 
vintage racing '62 3000. Depending upon who's asking:

Other Racers: It adds substantial horsepower, improves the handling, and 
reduces wear on the brakes
Me: It smells real good, just like it was in the day when castor oil was in 
the sump.

The main reason I do this is that our sanctioning body here in Texas values 
authenticity of presentation of the race cars. I may not be the fastest, but 
I sure smell authentic (there's a lot of leeway for comments here!).

A side effect I've noticed is that cylinder bore wear, vales, and rings show 
minimal signs of wear. I built up the current engine in the car about 10 
years ago. With 6-7 hard racing weekends a year, the leak down is still less 
than 1%.

Cheers, Fred
a.k.a Team Healey Texas

-----Original Message----- 
From: Dick Matson
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:38 PM
To: AustinHealey List
Subject: [Healeys] Fw: Marvel Mystery Oil

and the Farmall engine too - ran great.  So I still have a little left and 
add

Dick Matson / Bj8

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 07:48:43 +0100

Fred

Great stuff Fred. I love that smell. Unfortunately using Castrol racing oil
means more frequent engine rebuilds as it gums up the works. Maybe a bit of
castor oil in the fuel is the way to go. Presumably though this will lower
the overall octane level. Or would the effect be insignificant.

Is it 100% castor oil that you buy?

Derek

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Fred Crowley <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Me: It smells real good, just like it was in the day when castor oil was
> in the sump.
>
> The main reason I do this is that our sanctioning body here in Texas
> values authenticity of presentation of the race cars. I may not be the
> fastest, but I sure smell authentic (there's a lot of leeway for comments
> here!).
>
> A side effect I've noticed is that cylinder bore wear, vales, and rings
> show minimal signs of wear. I built up the current engine in the car about
> 10 years ago. With 6-7 hard racing weekends a year, the leak down is still
> less than 1%.
>
> Cheers, Fred
> a.k.a Team Healey Texas
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Dick Matson
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/derek.c.job@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: "Fred Crowley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:27:56 -0500

Yup b 100% castor oil. With respect to octane ratings I donbt have a clue
since Ibm using 110 leaded racing fuel. Maybe somebody with a bit of
chemistry behind them can comment. In chemistry class, I volunteered to light
the bunsen burner.

Fred

From: Derek Job
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:48 AM
To: Fred Crowley
Cc: AustinHealey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fw: Marvel Mystery Oil

Fred

Great stuff Fred. I love that smell. Unfortunately using Castrol racing oil
means more frequent engine rebuilds as it gums up the works. Maybe a bit of
castor oil in the fuel is the way to go. Presumably though this will lower the
overall octane level. Or would the effect be insignificant.

Derek

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Fred Crowley
<[email-masked]> wrote:

  The main reason I do this is that our sanctioning body here in Texas values
authenticity of presentation of the race cars. I may not be the fastest, but I
sure smell authentic (there's a lot of leeway for comments here!).

  A side effect I've noticed is that cylinder bore wear, vales, and rings show
minimal signs of wear. I built up the current engine in the car about 10 years
ago. With 6-7 hard racing weekends a year, the leak down is still less than
1%.

  Cheers, Fred
  a.k.a Team Healey Texas

  Dick Matson / Bj8

  [email-masked]

  Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Fred Crowley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:29:22 -0500

the bunsen burner..

Fred

From: Derek Job

Fred

Derek

  Cheers, Fred
  a.k.a Team Healey Texas

  Dick Matson / Bj8

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:42:29 -0600

Oh yes, I frequently enjoy a glassful over ice with a dash of bitters and a
celery stalk...
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

[email-masked]