Subject: [Healeys] Spitting---------more info

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:16:41 -0400

I have checked all I can think of electrically that could cause the "spitting"/missing, and have just about come to the conclusion that it is not electrical.

I have pulled the carb float chamber covers and there is ample fuel in both.  

Could it possible be some crud in the bottom of the float chamber or something in the passageway leading to the jet assy that is restricting fuel?  I don't want to pull these off unless I have to, but I'm at a total impass as to what this could be.

Am I right to conclude it is not the Pertronix?  My understanding is that if the Per goes, it really goes---car shuts off, so it wouldn't be a slow dying process for it??

What are your thoughts---fuel starvation--and if so----where---maybe as I mentioned above??

Thanks for all your comments.

tom
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "Williams, Allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:02:14 -0500

I haven't followed your troubles closely, so please excuse me if my
suggestions have been mentioned.
I had trouble several years ago with my car spitting, missing, quitting
altogether. Ultimately it turned out to be a series of bad rotors. When they
short to ground, the tracking can be difficult to see. Worth a look! Perhaps
you've already checked to see if the distributor is actually advancing as
needed. Probably worth rechecking the timing, too.
If the symptoms you are having are caused by a lean condition, you could try
pulling out the choke partially to make it run a little richer. If it runs
better, then you might suspect trash or other issues.
One thing I've done to check the possiblity of trash obstructing fuel flow is
to take off the carb's damper assembly  and shoot carb cleaner into the jet.
That will clear it it out at least temporarily. While there, check the needle
to make sure it's properly fitted, not bent or otherwise off center. Also, I'd
make sure the dampers are not sticking. Just my 2 cents on what I'd try.
Regards,
Allen W.
BJ7 (ours for the last 38 years)

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Tom Felts [[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 9:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Spitting---------more info

I have checked all I can think of electrically that could cause the
"spitting"/missing, and have just about come to the conclusion that it is not
electrical.

Could it possible be some crud in the bottom of the float chamber or something
in the passageway leading to the jet assy that is restricting fuel?  I don't
want to pull these off unless I have to, but I'm at a total impass as to what
this could be.

Am I right to conclude it is not the Pertronix?  My understanding is that if
the Per goes, it really goes---car shuts off, so it wouldn't be a slow dying
process for it??

What are your thoughts---fuel starvation--and if so----where---maybe as I
mentioned above??

tom

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:50:39 -0400

Have you checked the coil? Try coil of known quanity.

Jerry Anderson 
---- "Williams wrote: 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: jerry wall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:08:27 -0500

CHECK THE BRASS filters at the float chamber entry.  over a period of time,
these can become compacted with fuel tank debris.
cheers,
jerry wall

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Tom Felts <[email-masked]> wrote:

> "spitting"/missing, and have just about come to the conclusion that it is
> not electrical.
>
> Could it possible be some crud in the bottom of the float chamber or
> something in the passageway leading to the jet assy that is restricting
> fuel?  I don't want to pull these off unless I have to, but I'm at a total
> impass as to what this could be.
>
> Am I right to conclude it is not the Pertronix?  My understanding is that
> if the Per goes, it really goes---car shuts off, so it wouldn't be a slow
> dying process for it??
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
jerry wall  BN6
rowlett, tx

[email-masked]