Subject: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:24:31 +0200

I have just rebuild the steering box of my 3000 MK2 BT7. In the centre
position it turns harder. This I learnt is by intension. But can anybody tell
me how much harder should it turn in the centre position? Now as I did it I
can really feel the harder movement for a quarter of a steering wheel turn
around the centre position. Is this too much tension on the adjusting screw?
Shall I release it a bit to have an easy turn also around the centre
position?
Who knows?

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: John Vrugtman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 08:32:49 -0400

The manual notes that the center drag is measured by a spring scale on 
the steering wheel of so many ounces.  But basically it should be just 
noticeable with the wheels off the ground.  Sounds like you have the 
adjustment too tight.  Or, you can get a constant clearance worm from 
Dennis Welsh.

John
64/66 BJ8s

[email-masked]

---

From: David Nock British Car Specialists <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 08:18:29 -0700

You need to adjust the steering with the wheels off the ground. Jack the car
up and support on the lower control arms so there is no stress on the tie
rods. Then loosen the adjuster nut on the steering box. Then have an assistant
move the steering wheel back and forth to find the tight spot. Now either
tighten or loosen the adjuster screw until there is just a little drag in the
center position and lock the jam nut down.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
Stockton Ca

On May 28, 2012, at 5:32 AM, John Vrugtman wrote:

> The manual notes that the center drag is measured by a spring scale on the
steering wheel of so many ounces.  But basically it should be just noticeable
with the wheels off the ground.  Sounds like you have the adjustment too
tight.  Or, you can get a constant clearance worm from Dennis Welsh.
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:27:06 +0200

David, John,
Many thanks. The car is still with the wheels off the ground. The car is under
restoration and I have just installed the steering and links. This little drag
you mention, to my opinion it's a little too much on my car. I hesitate to
loosen the adjuster screw again as all is painted and when doing it it breaks
off the paintwork. What can happen when the drag is a little more than
necessary. Does it destroy the peg or both worm and peg?
Thanks,
Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von David Nock British Car Specialists
Gesendet: Montag, 28. Mai 2012 17:18
An: John Vrugtman
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

David Nock
British Car Specialists
Stockton Ca

[email-masked]

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 11:37:01 -0700

Unless you plan on trailering your car and not driving it then there 
is no need to adjust the steering. However, it appears that you 
intend to drive it which means you will periodically need to adjust 
the steering. With that in mind, and not intending to have a concours 
car, I powder coated the steering box (it could be painted) and zinc 
plated the filler and the adjusting nut so I would not have to worry 
about chipping the paint when I adjusted the box or when I fill it up.

Just a practical thought.

John

At 06:27 PM 5/28/2012 +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:05:46 +0200

John,
Sorry I have not mentioned, the car is going to become a Concours car and only
might be occasionally driven.
So it would hurt me to chip the paint.
Conclusion for me, I will leave it as it is and taste how it feels on the
road. With very low yearly mileages it would not cause a real damage.

Josef

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von john spaur
Gesendet: Montag, 28. Mai 2012 20:37
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

Unless you plan on trailering your car and not driving it then there is no
need to adjust the steering. However, it appears that you intend to drive it
which means you will periodically need to adjust the steering. With that in
mind, and not intending to have a concours car, I powder coated the steering
box (it could be painted) and zinc plated the filler and the adjusting nut so
I would not have to worry about chipping the paint when I adjusted the box or
when I fill it up.

John

At 06:27 PM 5/28/2012 +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
>David, John,
>Many thanks. The car is still with the wheels off the ground. The car
>is under restoration and I have just installed the steering and links.
>This little drag you mention, to my opinion it's a little too much on
>my car. I hesitate to loosen the adjuster screw again as all is painted
>and when doing it it breaks off the paintwork. What can happen when the
>drag is a little more than necessary. Does it destroy the peg or both worm
and peg?
>Von: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von David Nock
>British Car Specialists
>You need to adjust the steering with the wheels off the ground. Jack
>the car up and support on the lower control arms so there is no stress
>on the tie rods. Then loosen the adjuster nut on the steering box. Then
>have an assistant move the steering wheel back and forth to find the
>tight spot. Now either tighten or loosen the adjuster screw until there
>is just a little drag in the center position and lock the jam nut down.
>
>David Nock
>British Car Specialists
>Stockton Ca

[email-masked]

---

From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 15:04:50 -0700

Josef and fellow Listers,

Concours cars, especially Austin Healeys, should be driven often and
enjoyed. Otherwise why bother ;-)

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Austin Healey Concours Committee
'55 BN1, '60 AN5:{)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> mind, and not intending to have a Concours car, I powder coated the
> steering

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Masucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:20:06 -0500

Wholeheartedly agree.  May as well never change the oil or grease the
suspension for fear of getting it dirty or scraping paint removing the filler
cap or dipstick.

Cheers,
Chris
BJ8
Sent from my iPhone

>> Von: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
>> Im
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rich Chrysler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 19:47:37 -0400

C'mon guys....if I saw a fellow judge trying to deduct a point because a
chip was found on an adjusting nut surface of a car being judged in a
Concours event, I would personally be inclined to cuff that judge up side of
the head for attempting to do so.

No wonder these preconceived ideas of "Concours" gives the whole thing such
a negative aura.

Or maybe that's one of the differences between a North American properly
sanctioned Concours judging and "others".

Rich Chrysler

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: May-28-12 4:06 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

John,
Sorry I have not mentioned, the car is going to become a Concours car and
only might be occasionally driven.
So it would hurt me to chip the paint.
Conclusion for me, I will leave it as it is and taste how it feels on the
road. With very low yearly mileages it would not cause a real damage.

Josef

Unless you plan on trailering your car and not driving it then there is no
need to adjust the steering. However, it appears that you intend to drive it
which means you will periodically need to adjust the steering. With that in
mind, and not intending to have a concours car, I powder coated the steering
box (it could be painted) and zinc plated the filler and the adjusting nut
so I would not have to worry about chipping the paint when I adjusted the
box or when I fill it up.

John

and peg?

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:52:35 -0500

Speaking of adjusting tension on the steering box, I was looking on my 
pegboard in the garage today and hanging there was one used shim used to 
adjust the stearing box on the early 100s. No use for it anymore so...

Free to a good home, I will even spring for postage in USA.

Greg Lemon 

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 00:23:42 -0400

I remember David Koch driving his Factory 100M from Ontario to Texas Conclave,
(2004) going Gold and then driving it home.

Some minor scratches and nicks but as he told me"I fixed it once, I can do it
again". He loved driving that car. (RIP)

I plan to do a concours car and I plan on driving it.

Randy

>> drag is a little more than necessary. Does it destroy the peg or both
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 00:26:39 -0400

Randy

[email-masked]