Subject: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:30:03 +0200

Curt, Rich and others
Perhaps my question wasn`t clear enough. I just have the feeling in centre
position my steering box is a bit too tight. Perhaps its just right as it is.
I am just looking for a way to verify, prove, before I am loosing the
adjusting screw and there is no need to do it. Perhaps there is no defined way
to check if its just right or too tight. I just wanted to get some expertise
knowledge how to find out.

The other question is, is it allowed to drive a classic car only occasionally
and not over long distances? Or is it too be denunciated by anybody? I think
the owner has good reasons to do it the one or other way. For me its much more
fun to work, restore a car than driving it later. But that`s me. And I own 5
classic cars, 3 Austin-Healeys, and I can choose which to drive. And I have a
modern car and a trailer.
Here in centre Europe (UK included) its really no fun at all to drive a
classic car along the motorways over long distances. All who know the extreme
heavy traffic here, may understand that its much more convenient to load a
classic on a tailer and take it to the event that way. On motorways its even
dangerous to go with a classic car which cannot cope with modern days traffic
(there are plenty of modern 200+ horsepower cars around and drivers play with
you) . Heavy congestions are really normal around the cities and industrial
zones and we have too many of them. When there is free flow of traffic (that
can happen from time to time, mostly during night) you are an obstacle for
modern cars and even trucks are overtaking or stay extremely close to your
rear bumper - not nice. So no fun to drive a Healey on motorways over longer
distances. Nobody takes care of you in your small classic car. Sorry, but when
spending such a lot of money in a car I do not want to have it damaged in any
way. So I take the easy way. I do not want to be a hero. Hero`s die early.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

Von: Curt/Nancy Arndt [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. Mai 2012 00:05
An: Eckert, Josef
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

Josef and fellow Listers,

Concours cars, especially Austin Healeys, should be driven often and enjoyed.
Otherwise why bother ;-)

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Austin Healey Concours Committee
'55 BN1, '60 AN5:{)
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM,
<[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
John,
Sorry I have not mentioned, the car is going to become a Concours car and
only
might be occasionally driven.
So it would hurt me to chip the paint.
Conclusion for me, I will leave it as it is and taste how it feels on the
road. With very low yearly mileages it would not cause a real damage.

Josef
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 19:55:27 +0200

On our roads are full of trucks from all over Europe, Rumania, Bulgaria,
Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Greek, Italy,
Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Holland, UK, Sweden, Denmark, Norway,
Finland and so on. Most of them cannot understand or even read German
language, not even English language. What does it help to do a sign or
sticker? ;-)

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Dan Stromquist [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. Mai 2012 17:06
An: Eckert, Josef; [email-masked]
Betreff: RE: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

Put a bumper sticker/sign on your car that says "I have bad brakes and bad
brake lights" or similar.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

Curt, Rich and others

the owner has good reasons to do it the one or other way.
For me its much more fun to work, restore a car than driving it later. But
that`s me. And I own 5 classic cars, 3 Austin-Healeys, and I can choose which
to drive. And I have a modern car and a trailer.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

[email-masked]

---

From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:07:36 -0700

Josef,

OK point taken, HOWEVER... all that means to me is that you take your
Healey to the *N|rburgring* every month to make certain it's running
correctly ;-^)

Cheers,

Curt

[email-masked]