Subject: [Healeys] Optima batteries

From: Robert Duquette <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 08:29:33 -0400

Has anyone ever installed a pair of the optima 6V batteries in their car?
They are 10" long at their longest point.  I'm guessing 9" length for the main
body with a longer base for clamping down.  Optima sent me a CAD drawing of
the battery, but I can't open it from this device.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/specs/6V_121207.pdf
Or
http://tinyurl.com/8y5ew5l

I seem to have a romantic attachment to dual sixes, but I have next to none
for the corrosive aspects of the older style batteries.

I have constructed a light cardboard box of the maximum dimensions of the
optima and put it in place of one of the original type batteries.  I also
removed the tray and one of the battery hold down rods.  I put some images of
the clearances at the link below.  Select the links that begin with 6v, if you
are interested.  I originally placed it diagonally, thinking that keeping it
as far away from the diff and drive shaft was a good idea.  I took pictures
that way.  I think building battery trays would be a major task for me.  I've
since moved it to straight back, but can't post an image from here. :(  I
believe that they will fit.  But, how much will that rear end move?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/temp/

Has anyone done this?

PS: I am the type who likes my modifications to bolt in and bolt out.
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "Rich Chrysler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 09:40:33 -0400

Robert,

I f you want to get away from the original twin 6V acid type batteries, then
never mind messing with the two 6V Optimas when you can simply install one
12V Optima on one side and anchor it down suitably. We've fitted this setup
on a number of cars and it works extremely well with plenty of clearance.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Robert Duquette
Sent: May-20-12 8:30 AM
To: Healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Optima batteries

Has anyone ever installed a pair of the optima 6V batteries in their car?
They are 10" long at their longest point.  I'm guessing 9" length for the
main body with a longer base for clamping down.  Optima sent me a CAD
drawing of the battery, but I can't open it from this device.

I have constructed a light cardboard box of the maximum dimensions of the
optima and put it in place of one of the original type batteries.  I also
removed the tray and one of the battery hold down rods.  I put some images
of the clearances at the link below.  Select the links that begin with 6v,
if you are interested.  I originally placed it diagonally, thinking that
keeping it as far away from the diff and drive shaft was a good idea.  I
took pictures that way.  I think building battery trays would be a major
task for me.  I've since moved it to straight back, but can't post an image
from here. :(  I believe that they will fit.  But, how much will that rear
end move?

Has anyone done this?

$12.75

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:28:43 +0100

Robert

I have done the same on both of my 100s. It was Rich who gave me the 
idea.

Fitting can be achieved without making any irreversible changes to the 
car. Because the Optima battery needs to be held by it base I made a 
weatherproof ply platform and painted it back. It fits to the car with 
two countersunk screws that go into the holes vacated by the long hold 
down rods. Onto this board are two angle clamps that fit over the 
battery base flanges. One is solidly fixed whilst the other has slots to 
allow it to be pushed hard against the base of the battery before 
tightening up. Obviously you need a long positive lead to replace both 
the battery link and short switch to other original battery link. This 
can be supported in the original centre 'P' clip.

There is less space on my BN2 because of the Hypoid rear axle but there 
is still enough clearance to be safe.

The original advantages of the Optima battery are in my opinion well 
worth having although perhaps more expensive than some other set ups.. 
That is, no spillage or topping up and a healthy starting current even 
after a few months non use.

I have in mind using the space left by the second battery to make and 
fit a wooden fixed tool box but I have yet to do this

Best regards

-- 
John Harper

[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Duquette <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 08:59:48 -0400

Thanks, Rich!

I had heard of this option.  I think someone even sells the tray for this
option?  It sounds like the most practical and economical and speedy path to
accomplishing a modification  to a more modern battery, but ... Sometimes I'm
a bit eccentric ... Why be normal?  :). ( I'm normal enough in most ways, but
every once in a while, I get a bee in my bonnet. )

On 2012-05-20, at 9:40 AM, Rich Chrysler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation
> $12.75

[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Duquette <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:21:11 -0400

Thanks, John!

I was planning to build (or have built)  similar trays, though, out of metal,
with perhaps a bend over at the diff end to hold that end of the battery base
snuggly and using the hole where the original battery hold down rod attaches
at the bulkhead end.

I had an Optima battery in my Midget and I think they're great.

Thanks for the detail that you supplied.  What is this "P clip"?  Did it
support the positive cable?  Or the centre cable?

Robert

On 2012-05-20, at 12:28 PM, John Harper <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Robert
>
> I have done the same on both of my 100s. It was Rich who gave me the idea.
>
> Fitting can be achieved without making any irreversible changes to the car.
Because the Optima battery needs to be held by it base I made a weatherproof
ply platform and painted it back. It fits to the car with two countersunk
screws that go into the holes vacated by the long hold down rods. Onto this
board are two angle clamps that fit over the battery base flanges. One is
solidly fixed whilst the other has slots to allow it to be pushed hard against
the base of the battery before tightening up. Obviously you need a long
positive lead to replace both the battery link and short switch to other
original battery link. This can be supported in the original centre 'P' clip.
>
> There is less space on my BN2 because of the Hypoid rear axle but there is
still enough clearance to be safe.
>
> The original advantages of the Optima battery are in my opinion well worth
having although perhaps more expensive than some other set ups.. That is, no
spillage or topping up and a healthy starting current even after a few months
non use.
>
> I have in mind using the space left by the second battery to make and fit a
wooden fixed tool box but I have yet to do this

[email-masked]

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:16:22 +0100

Robert

Centre cable

Regards

>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]