Subject: [Healeys] Difficulty Starting

From: Eoin Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 08:42:02 -0400

Hi all
I am having trouble starting the car (BN1 July 54). I noticed that when I pulled the choke out the jet leaver on the front carburetor does not appear to move much. I disconnected the choke cable to the carbs and manually moved the Jet levers on both carbs. The rear carb leaver moves very freely and has a nice smooth action while the front carb leaver is tight and it takes a lot more effort to move. I removed the air filter on the front carb and moved the piston with my finger and it had a nice smooth movement so I am guessing nothing is binding inside the carb.B B Is the front jet leaver normally tight. If not what should I look at.
Thanks
B EoinB 
B 
Sent from my Android phone so All I Can Say Is It Made Sense Before It Left My Phone
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 08:15:10 -0600

Eoin,
 Likely it's a build up of fuel deposits on and around the bore of the jet,
which moves up and down, the latter action to "activate" the richening for
starting purposes. Choke is not the correct terminology, but it is what we
were given... anyway, 1st course of action is to spray some sort of carb
cleaner product around the jet and move the jet through it's range of motion
and see if that cures it. More often than not you may have to completely
remove the jet to get/remove any heavy build up or corrosion that is
present. If you are careful and the jet glans are in good condition it's a
pull it out and push it back in sequence. If not, well then you will have to
remove the jet assembly and replace the cork bits and re-center the
assembly... which should have probably been done in the first place... ;~)
Dave
[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Eoin Galvin
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 6:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Difficulty Starting

Hi all
I am having trouble starting the car (BN1 July 54). I noticed that when I
pulled the choke out the jet leaver on the front carburetor does not appear
to move much. I disconnected the choke cable to the carbs and manually moved
the Jet levers on both carbs. The rear carb leaver moves very freely and has
a nice smooth action while the front carb leaver is tight and it takes a lot
more effort to move. I removed the air filter on the front carb and moved
the piston with my finger and it had a nice smooth movement so I am guessing
nothing is binding inside the carb.B B Is the front jet leaver normally
tight. If not what should I look at.
Thanks
B EoinB 
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rich Chrysler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 20:49:23 -0400

Eoin,

The front carb lever will naturally be somewhat stiffer to move because it
is also moving the rod with the fast idle cam, whereas the rear one has no
extra such load
I suspect as before, the little trunnion screw gripping the stirrup between
the two levers has slipped again to the point where it is not gripping
sufficient travel. Then because the stirrup will automatically try to
equalize the pull between the two levers, it simply pulls much more on the
rear one, therefore hardly any on the front. 
The remedy is again to carefully loosen the trunnion screw on the front
lever, pull more of the wire stirrup down through until they seem equalized,
and carefully tighten. I was always afraid to over tighten this trunnion
screw and break off the head of the screw. That's why it has slipped again.
Just for the enlightenment of the readers on this list, this is a freshly
restored car, completed only last July so undue residue or buildup is not an
issue here.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
Sent: May-11-12 8:42 AM

Hi all

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 07:22:25 -0600

Rich, et al
 I always depress the accelerator pedal to WOT (wide open throttle) position
when I pull the Choke knob out. This relieves the issue of the fast run
cam.... 
 BYARKT...

dave

cars:

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Rich Chrysler
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 6:49 PM
To: 'Eoin Galvin'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Difficulty Starting BN1

Eoin,

Rich

-----Original Message-----

Hi all

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]