Subject: [Healeys] Memorial Day

From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:01:28 +1000

G'day

This has absolutely nothing to do with Austin-Healeys, but can someone tell
me how widespread the observance of Memorial Day is?

I am trying to make contact with a business colleague in LA, but no answer.

Hoo Roo

Patrick
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 17:07:23 -0700

Very.  Most business are closed today.

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Patrick and Caroline Quinn <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:18:23 -0600

> me how widespread the observance of Memorial Day is?

It is one of the bigger holidays here, marking the start of the summer 
season
with Labor Day the other bookmark.  So a LOT of folks take the day off, do
fun things and forget about work until Tuesday.  Or later.  Here's an 
excerpt
from a message to another list I wrote earlier:

On a different note, Bailey's will be closed this week while Mike does
some vacationing in Oregon, so I'll have time to work on stuff, like
getting the Team.Net archives working properly again.  I know many
folks miss that functionality.   One thing I have been meaning to do for
quite some time is reply to all those who contributed to Team.Net
during the fund drive or just because.  So be patient, I've only done a
handful so far, you may hear  from me soon if you've made use of the
donate link!

The place I work is closed down all week.  We'll see just how much actually
gets done the next week at The Fat Chance Garage or at Team.Net's
Intergalactic headquarters.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 00:28:00 +0000

It's huge  - a very big deal.  It's a national holiday - a three day weekend
to honor our military veterans. The Indy 500 is always on Memorial Day
weekend. Banks are closed, there is no mail. Courts are closed as are all
city, county, state and federal offices. Most businesses are closed.  Special
events are scheduled everywhere.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:01:28 +1000
> Subject: [Healeys] Memorial Day
>
> G'day
>
>
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:40:43 +1000

G'day

Many thanks for letting me know about Memorial Day. I wait until tomorrow to
contact my colleague.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Sydney, Australia

  _____  

From: richard mayor [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, 29 May 2012 10:28 AM
To: [email-masked]; healeys
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Memorial Day

It's huge  - a very big deal.  It's a national holiday - a three day weekend
to honor our military veterans. The Indy 500 is always on Memorial Day
weekend. Banks are closed, there is no mail. Courts are closed as are all
city, county, state and federal offices. Most businesses are closed.
Special events are scheduled everywhere.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:13:03 -0700 (PDT)

Patrick,

Just to clarify a bit, Memorial Day is a federal holiday and celebrated
nationwide.  And although it's generally seen as the first weekend of summer
its real significance is to honor our countrymen and women who have died in
battle.  Veteran's Day (Nov. 11) is our day to respect those who serve and
have served in our military.

Rick

Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

--- On Mon, 5/28/12, Patrick and Caroline Quinn <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Patrick and Caroline Quinn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Memorial Day
To: "'richard mayor'" <[email-masked]>, "'healeys'"
<[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 8:40 PM

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Sydney, Australia

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:18:29 +1000

G'day

Two very important days.

I can see how Armistice Day (Nov 11th) could easily evolved into Veteran's
Day. Does the country observe a minute's silence at 11am on the 11th
November like they do here? Armistice Day is not a holiday in Australia.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Sydney, Australia

  _____  

From: HealeyRick [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, 29 May 2012 11:13 AM
To: 'richard mayor'; 'healeys'; Patrick and Caroline Quinn
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Memorial Day

Patrick,

Rick

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Sydney, Australia

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:46:13 -0700

As a former social studies teacher, I would hazard a guess that many
Americans do not realize that Veterans day has it's roots in
the Armistice of WWI and do not know that 11:11:11 means.

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Patrick and Caroline Quinn <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:52:24 -0700 (PDT)

Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day following the Korean War.B  I remember
keeping a minute of silence as a kid after marching in Veterans Day parades,
but it's been some time since I've been anywhere that's observed it.B  Wonder
if it's done in the military?

Rick

From: Patrick and Caroline Quinn <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Memorial Day
To: "'HealeyRick'" <[email-masked]>, "'richard mayor'"
<[email-masked]>, "'healeys'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 9:18 PM

 

Gbday 

 B  

Two very important days. 

 B  

I
can see how Armistice Day (Nov 11th) could easily evolved
into Veteranbs
Day. Does the country observe a minutebs silence at
11am on the 11th
November like they do here? Armistice Day is not a
holiday in Australia .
B  

Hoo Roo 

 B  

Patrick Quinn 

Sydney, Australia 

B 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:54:49 -0700

"Memorial Day is a federal holiday observed annually in the United States on 
the last Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and 
women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly 
known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to 
commemorate the Union soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th 
century Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died 
in all wars..."

(Wikipedia)

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
To: "'HealeyRick'" <[email-masked]>; "'richard mayor'" 
<[email-masked]>; "'healeys'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Memorial Day

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 20:04:06 -0600

When I was a kid growing up in a sleepy little town in Southwest Michigan
we still called it Decoration Day.  And it was not just for veterans, but a
day to remember all those who have passed.

Were that I was still living there, this weekend I would have gone out
to the Silver Creek church and put flowers on the graves of my mother, 
father
and brother.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 19:03:25 -0700

"Armistice Day (which overlaps with Remembrance Day) is on 11 November and 
commemorates the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and 
Germany at Compihgne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the 
Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the 
morning-the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 
1918...

After World War II, the name of the holiday was changed to Veterans Day in 
the United States and to Remembrance Day in the countries of the British 
Commonwealth of Nations. Armistice Day remains an official holiday in France 
and Belgium..."

(Again, Wikipedia)

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA

[email-masked]