Subject: [Healeys] BHP - the real figures (contd)

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 20:49:29 +0100

My message got bounced so I've started a new one.

Just to be clear, my 160 bhp is at the flywheel not the wheels.

To summarise my understanding

- The factory 150bhp was at the flywheel with the engine but no ancillaries
at all. So really more like 120-125 with ancillaries.

- My  back calculated 160 bhp is at the flywheel but with all the
ancillaries included.

- That difference seems reasonable given the cam and other modifications
that my car is running. I have straight cut gears which I supposed helped a
little in the back calculation.

- Different dynos give different results. My guy said that cars he tested
regularly showed 20 to 30 bhp less than the owners had obtained on other
dynos. His comes in bang on with the factory when he tests brand new BMWs
and Mercs.

- You can deduct another 20-25% or so from the above numbers to arrive at
the rear wheel bhp numbers.

Andy, I would be very surprised if your stock car is really making that
150bhp at 5000 revs.

Derek
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: andy pole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 20:16:18 +0000

Derek
I stripped the engine, checked her over, and except for changing a few push
rods, I took the head to Newark Engineering for the valve seat work, and
rebuilt, it all looked too good to waste money.

The figures I gave, I still have the photos somewhere, I just sat in it and he
told me which gear and when to floor it! I made notes off all the equipment
and readings just as I did last week with a full suspension setup at my local
Subaru specialist (they do my 265bhp scooby). The second run wasnt that good
as I left the handbrake on! As I put on the forum he double checked the peak
bhp as the first setting on the scale only went from 0-150bhp and it was
reading top scale so he reset to the next scale to double check. I just wanted
to get her setup correctly, as lets face it she's not going to be driven as
hard as my scooby or Ducati 996! Its a different kind of fun.

Try looking up Peter Baldwin, knows more about rolling roads and SU's than
most !

Have to admit she goes well, first long run out this week as took car to have
hood fitted on Tuesday, and picked her up today, sits nicely at 80mph on
m6/m69   :)

cheers Andy

[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Thorp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:22:57 -0700 (PDT)

I recently did some dynoing of a BN4 gallery head engine as part of my
rebuild. Stock engine gave about 80hp at the gearbox output flange in 4th gear
and after a little fettling I got 106hp. The factory claim of 142lbft torque
is fanciful, the hp figure of 102 is optimistic at best.

Stock baseline runs
were done with a different engine that had never been apart from new but was
in good health. All runs done on an waterbrake dyno mounted in the old chassis
and calibration was checked each day.

Graphs and videos of the testing here
http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/846
675

Andy.

--- On Fri, 1/6/12, Derek Job <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Healeys] BHP - the real
figures (contd)
> To: "Forum" <[email-masked]>
> Received: Friday, 1
June, 2012, 7:49 AM
> My message got bounced so I've
Just to be clear, my 160 bhp is at the flywheel not the
> wheels.
> 
> To
summarise my understanding
> 
> - The factory 150bhp was at the flywheel with
the engine but
> no ancillaries
> - My  back calculated 160 bhp is at the flywheel but
> with
all the
> ancillaries included.
> 
> - That difference seems reasonable given
the cam and other
> modifications
> that my car is running. I have straight
cut gears which I
> supposed helped a
> -
Different dynos give different results. My guy said that
> cars he tested
regularly showed 20 to 30 bhp less than the owners had
> obtained on other
dynos. His comes in bang on with the factory when he tests
> brand new BMWs
and Mercs.
> 
> - You can deduct another 20-25% or so from the above numbers
>
to arrive at
> Andy, I would be very
surprised if your stock car is really
> making that
[email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]