Subject: [Healeys] BHP - the real figures.

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:37:35 +0100

In preparation for my first competitive outing  I took the car to a
specialist with a rolling road to give it the once over generally and set
everything for optimum performance. He is a  well known guy in motor sport
circles having prepared various Pro-rally teams cars as well as a lot of
exotic classics including Miuras and Ferrari 250s. One of the reasons he
got the rally prep jobs was because they were impressed that had the most
accurately calibrated dyno, which translates to one that produces real, but
lower figures than most of the others.

My car has a BJ8 engine, twin HD8s, DWR8 'fast road cam, polished and
ported iron head, six branch manifold, itg fast flow filter. Compression
came in at 195 pretty much across the board and he thought the comp ratio
would be around 10.5 : 1. Maximum ignition advance was 31 degrees initially
but when we optimised the performance i think it was advanced a tiny bit
further. I will check it's exact current setting when I get chance

The result.

Maximum power is 160 bhp at 5500 revs.

Max torque is 158 ft/lbs at 3100 revs and stays flat until 4700.

Torque is 140ft lbs at 1700 so there is a very broad and useable power
band.

I think we can safely say a stock BJ8 never produced 150 bhp!

He told me that  whenever he tests classic cars there is always a very
large difference between reality and the bhp figures stated at the time.

Derek
www.healeysix.net
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "Freese, Ken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 15:52:02 +0000

That is good for a chassis dyno.
I had my BJ8 engine on the engine dyno after rebuild with stock BJ8 cam grind
but long tube Kirk headers and the hp was 155. Quite close to the graph
published by Geoff Healey in his book. My torque curve was a quite bit broader
though, probably due to the headers which I think I feel in the seat of the
pants as well.
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Derek Job
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:38 AM
To: Forum
Subject: [Healeys] BHP - the real figures.

The result.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 09:10:06 -0700 (PDT)

Derek,

I'm sure the factory ratings were "optimistic", however they were also rated
differently than your rolling road test.  Factory numbers were obtained
without any engine accessories on an engine dyno. The same engine on a rolling
road would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20% less powerful due to the
parasitic losses of the driveline, engine accessories and silencers.

Rick

Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

--- On Thu, 5/31/12, Derek Job <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] BHP - the real figures.
To: "Forum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 11:37 AM

The result.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:17:56 +0100

Rick,

Yes that's true so it's not a fair comparison. Plus of course the only hp
that really matters I suppose, is that which finds its way to the wheels.
And there goes another 20 to 30%!

So I guess, at the wheels a stock BJ8 has about 95-100 hp.

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM, HealeyRick <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Derek,
>
> I'm sure the factory ratings were "optimistic", however they were also
> rated differently than your rolling road test.  Factory numbers were
> obtained without any engine accessories on an engine dyno. The same engine
> on a rolling road would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20% less
> powerful due to the parasitic losses of the driveline, engine accessories
> and silencers.
>
> Rick
>
> --- On *Thu, 5/31/12, Derek Job <[email-masked]>* wrote:
>
>
> [email-masked] <http://mc/compose?to=[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 18:27:59 +0200

Back in those days they gave the power at the flywheel, without 
dynamo/alternator or any electrical load, I think even without water 
pump and oil pump.
On the dyno you get the power on the rear wheels, sometimes it is 
calculated back to the flywheel, assuming a certain percentage of loss 
through the transmission. Thus the figures are not at all comparable.
Kees Oudesluijs

-- 
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
2995XG Heerjansdam
T: 078-677 1233
E: [email-masked]

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 02:53:55 +1000

I think if the oil pump isn't in the engine, it would be a pretty short, and
relatively expensive and noisy, dyno session....
;-)
Sent from my iPhone

> Back in those days they gave the power at the flywheel, without
dynamo/alternator or any electrical load, I think even without water pump and
oil pump.
> On the dyno you get the power on the rear wheels, sometimes it is calculated
back to the flywheel, assuming a certain percentage of loss through the
transmission. Thus the figures are not at all comparable.

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 20:42:28 +0200

It is not uncommon to feed the oil (pressurised), coolant, electricity 
from an external source to the engine on a testbed to be able to control 
all conditions like oil pressure and temperature, coolant temperature etc..
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 31-5-2012 18:53, Chris Dimmock schreef:
> I think if the oil pump isn't in the engine, it would be a pretty short, and relatively expensive and noisy, dyno session....
> ;-)
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 01/06/2012, at 2:27 AM, Oudesluys<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>
>> Back in those days they gave the power at the flywheel, without dynamo/alternator or any electrical load, I think even without water pump and oil pump.
>> On the dyno you get the power on the rear wheels, sometimes it is calculated back to the flywheel, assuming a certain percentage of loss through the transmission. Thus the figures are not at all comparable.
>> Kees Oudesluijs
>>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2012.0.1913 / Virusdatabase: 2425/5034 - datum van uitgifte: 05/30/12
>
>
>

-- 
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
2995XG Heerjansdam
T: 078-677 1233
E: [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: andy pole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 18:59:11 +0000

Derek
sorry beg to differ :
http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/684
377/Searchpage/2/Main/69376/Words/dyno/Search/true/Re_Rolling_Road_Setup#Post
684377
my bj8 with stock engine (head machined for unleaded), original dizzy with
points, 45mm stainless twin pipes with no rear silencer (sorry Rich), only
upgrade a sports coil (painted silver for Rich)
;)
Peter at 70 now had his race mini miglia driver fall through so ran it himself
and thrashed everyone:
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/222546-peter-baldwin-races-his-min
i-miglia-again/
your never too old!!!

cheers Andy

[email-masked]

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:02:26 +0200

Congratulations. 160bhps at the wheels is wonderfull.
Though as menshioned before, factory numbers were given at the flywheel.
Driveline loss for heilical-cut gearbox and 90 degree final drive may be
20-25%. Soo Your engine would produce the power of at least 200 "BMC"
horses :D.

Gergo

2012/5/31 Oudesluys <[email-masked]>

>> I think if the oil pump isn't in the engine, it would be a pretty short,
>> and relatively expensive and noisy, dyno session....
>> ;-)
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 01/06/2012, at 2:27 AM,
Oudesluys<coudesluijs@chello.**nl<[email-masked]>>
>>  wrote:
>>> dynamo/alternator or any electrical load, I think even without water pump
>>> and oil pump.
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net
http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailma
n/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
>
options/healeys/pajtamuvek@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/
healeys/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]