Subject: [Healeys] Float bowl needles

From: "Ron Fine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:38:44 -0700

I need to open up my float bowls to look for sticking needles or something
that is causing my carbs to flood.  It happens when I try to start the engine
again after a long drive.  It will eventually start, but with a lot of gas
smell which I assume is the flooding.  No other problems.  Runs great.

What are current opinions about new needles (Moss advertising Viton Tip) or
Grose-Jets??

Ron Fine
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 17:38:10 -0600

Ron,
 It sounds like you bowls aren't correctly vented. You must have the ( I
call it a tri-hat washer) either the early aluminum or the red fiber ones.
Dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Ron Fine
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Float bowl needles

I need to open up my float bowls to look for sticking needles or something
that is causing my carbs to flood.  It happens when I try to start the
engine
again after a long drive.  It will eventually start, but with a lot of gas
smell which I assume is the flooding.  No other problems.  Runs great.

Grose-Jet

[email-masked]

---

From: Jose Vicente Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:40:04 -0500

Since ethanol became part of my life I have had a lot of problems with grose
jets and went back to standard needles from moss. Result= no more flooding or
problem. Maybe my new needles are viton type.

Jose
Bogota, Colombia

Sent from my iPad

engine
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 19:49:56 -0400 (EDT)

If the float needles are sticking open you will see raw gas dripping on the
ground from the overflow tubes assuming your car still has overflow tubes that
are not clogged up.
I don't think thsi is your cause of "flooding".
Gary Hodson

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Fine <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, May 13, 2012 6:25 pm
Subject: [Healeys] Float bowl needles

Ron Fine

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 07:58:41 +0800

Ron -

Do you have a BN1/BN2?  If so that will change this answer slightly.

Generally speaking if your float bowls are leaking, changing the jets
or putting it Grose jets will not fix the problem.  Leaking usually is
from either incorrectly adjusted float levers which jam the needle
open, or more commonly from crud in your fuel.  If you don't have a
fuel filter on your car, I highly suggest you put one on.

Also, if you have a sunken float, that will cause leaking problems as
well.  I recommend switching to Nitrophyl floats, I've sunk ALOT of
floats in my day... and I'm still in my 40's!

http://www.bpnorthwest.com/.sc/ms/dd/AH%20BN1-BJ8--Carburetion%20Fuel%20Syste
m/10766/Carburetor%20Float%20H-Type%20and%20HD%20Type%20Nitrophyl

Best,

Alan

engine
> What are current opinions about new needles (Moss advertising Viton Tip) or
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]