Subject: [Healeys] Healey "Security" Circuit

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:38:47 +0000

When the switch in the trunk is flipped, is it supposed to be interrupting the
black white ground or is it supposed to be grounding it out?

The power will go to ground via the path of least resistance, so my theory is
that an ignition system (capacitor, spark plug, etc.) has lots of resistance,
so if the switch in the trunk is "on" then the black/white wire is not
grounded.  and when "off" the coil will ground itself out and no power will be
making it to the dist.  Right?

If that's the case, I can isolate this variable in my not working ignition by
disconnecting it in the trunk and making sure it isn't grounded.

The wiring diagram does not indicate which side of the switch the black and
white wire is actually on in the trunk.

If not as described above, is it a "flow" item similar to the ignition light
(charge/discharge) indicator?  And if so, How do I then Isolate it.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:39:40 +0000

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 18:39:47 +0000 (UTC)

re: "The power will go to ground via the path of least resistance, so my theory is 
that an ignition system (capacitor, spark plug, etc.) has lots of resistance, 
so if the switch in the trunk is "on" then the black/white wire is not 
grounded. and when "off" the coil will ground itself out and no power will be 
making it to the dist. Right?" 

Correct. In a points car, when the cutoff switch is in the 'Off' position the coil is grounded. When I installed a Pertronix unit, I moved the terminal so the circuit was open in the off position, breaking current flow to the coil. 

The white/black wire has its own terminal on the cutoff switch; it's connected internally to ground in the 'Off' position. It should be connected (in a points car) to the coil primary terminal opposite the power lead--the same terminal where the lead to the distributor is attached; i.e. in parallel--else it would be a dead short (as it is, only the coil resistance prevents it being a dead short). 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

Jonas Payne 
PBR 
Cell: (702) 358-5084 

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 14:50:51 -0400

Jonas, the switch in the trunk connects the white/black wire to ground when
the switch is ON.  At the same time, it also disconnects battery ground from
the chassis and grounds the points side of the ignition coil to prevent it
from generating the voltage required to fire the spark plugs.  Sometimes the
switch in the trunk shorts internally so that the white/black wire is
connected to ground even with the switch in the OFF position.  This will
prevent the car from starting.  If the internal failure also disconnects
battery ground, you will not have any electrical power at all.
To check to see if the switch is preventing ignition, disconnect the wire
from the trunk switch.  To check to see if the switch is disconnecting
battery ground, connect another wire from the battery negative terminal
directly to the chassis.

I had the switch failure problem while at Lake Tahoe for Open Roads 2002,
and I have driven the car with the switch disconnected ever since.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jonas Payne
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 12:40 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Healeys] FW: Healey "Security" Circuit

When the switch in the trunk is flipped, is it supposed to be interrupting
the black white ground or is it supposed to be grounding it out?

The power will go to ground via the path of least resistance, so my theory
is that an ignition system (capacitor, spark plug, etc.) has lots of
resistance, so if the switch in the trunk is "on" then the black/white wire
is not grounded.  and when "off" the coil will ground itself out and no
power will be making it to the dist.  Right?

If that's the case, I can isolate this variable in my not working ignition
by disconnecting it in the trunk and making sure it isn't grounded.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

[email-masked]

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 12:06:14 -0700

Jonas:

As originally wired, the Healey's battery cut off switch grounds the 
ignition through the white/black wire that runs directly through the main 
wiring harness from the switch to the coil.  This was done to prevent the 
engine running on the generator - a possibility when the switch was switched 
to the off position with the engine running.  (We can thank the late Norman 
Nock for this explanation many years ago).  The anti-theft feature is an 
additional benefit - such that it is.

In a non-running car with no ignition, first check for the possibility that 
the wire is grounded at the switch - disconnect it and tape the exposed 
wire.  If the engine then runs, there is a problem at the switch, or with 
the switch itself.  If no luck there, disconnect the white/black wire at the 
coil.  If the engine then runs, the wire is grounded somewhere in the wiring 
harness - maybe at a frayed part in the harness underneath the car - it's 
been known to happen in a Healey!

If still no luck, the problem is elsewhere.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jonas Payne
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:38 AM
To: 'Derek Job' ; 'Forum'
Subject: [Healeys] Healey "Security" Circuit

the

The power will go to ground via the path of least resistance, so my theory 
is
that an ignition system (capacitor, spark plug, etc.) has lots of 
resistance,
so if the switch in the trunk is "on" then the black/white wire is not
grounded.  and when "off" the coil will ground itself out and no power will 
be
making it to the dist.  Right?

by

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

[email-masked]

---

From: David Nock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 13:06:21 -0700

The battery switch when turned off will ground the white / black wire  
not allowing the engine to start.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
Stockton Ca 95205
209-948-8767

www.britishcarspecialists.com
.
.

On May 11, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Jonas Payne wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ 
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]