Subject: [Healeys] California residents

From: Charlie Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 20:27:46 -0400

If you live in CA, call your legislators:

This year, Mustang enthusiast and California State Senator Doug LaMalfa 
introduced a bill to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model 
year from the emissions inspection requirement. Simply put, Senate Bill 
1224 seeks to recover some of the ground that was lost in 2004. Already, 
hundreds (if not thousands) of Californians have responded to the call 
in support of the measure.

S.B. 1224 would provide an exemption for only one-half of one percent 
of California vehicles on the road today. Hardly an overwhelming 
number, said SEMA Vice President of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. 
Not surprisingly, opposition is coming from the states air quality 
management districts, which argue that this bill increases the burden on 
regions to meet air quality standards set by state and federal governments.

This bills success will certainly make it easier for Californias 
enthusiasts to enjoy a wider array of classic vehicles, including sports 
cars and trucks. However, victory would also represent a common sense 
solution to an unnecessary burden on old car collectors and lower-income 
citizens. The idea behind exempting any class of vehicles is to reduce 
costs while not losing appreciable emissions reductions, McDonald 
added. This strategy builds support for emissions inspection programs, 
but also directs finite resources to where they will be most valuable in 
cleaning the air. In light of hard economic times and Californias 
continued commitment to focusing limited resources where they can be 
most efficient in creating clean air, S.B. 1224 is a no brainer.

At press time, S.B. 1224 had been granted reconsideration after failing 
to be approved by the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on a 
3-4 vote, with two committee members not voting. The bill will be 
reconsidered in a future committee hearing.
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]