Subject: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:51:43 -0400 (EDT)

Got a reference today from "Palm Beach Classics, Inc." for a " Austin 
Healey 100-M " they have for sale. 

http://palmbeachclassics.com/autodetails.php?id=151

What do you think?

G/
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Jose Vicente Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:09:46 -0500

For a 135 k car they should have more pictures available. For what I see the
engine bay needs a lt of work, increect colors and the dashboard and the white
seats...omg

Sent from my iPad

On 15/05/2012, at 5:51 p.m., [email-masked] wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:41:40 -0700

Gary,

Wow, where to start.

I notice they say nothing about a complete restoration since there probably
wasn't one done .  Other than the flashy finned valve cover, missing its
original knurled knobs and oil filler cap, the rest of the engine looks
rather tatty.  The interior is an abortion, carpet instead of Armacord,
incorrect door panels, and those seats are tacky.  Incorrect chrome
headlight rims red painted brake drums and I'm sure the list goes on.  It
needs a complete and proper restoration to justify that price.

Just my humble opinion.

Curt

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:01:46 -0700

Looks like serious door gap issues on passenger side (why no photos of driver's side?).  Inaccurate '100S' -style paint 
scheme.  Do not care for the red drums ('redrum ... redrum ... redrum ...').  Rubber 'cold side' heater hose (for $135K 
I'd expect copper tubing).

I think I'd want to see more than a BMIHT cert these days.

Bob

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 06:58:24 +0000 (UTC)

Agree that much is not correct and that's what can be seen in only a handful of general pics. Makes you question everything else. Definitely would walk away from this one, or maybe even run. Disagree with the the comment that a properly restored factory M would be $135K, a decent older restoration sold at RM for $162K in Jan. 2012, and another private sale of a nicer factory M just this month is reported at approximately $175K. 
Joel 
----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:41:40 PM 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale 

Gary, 

Wow, where to start. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Curt 

[email-masked] 

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 08:01:59 +0100

Rule 1 - Never by a classic car from a dealer, unless you enjoy overpaying.

I just don't get the prices asked for 100M's and this is a poor example.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Curt/Nancy Arndt <[email-masked]>wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:03:47 +0200

Is it really a real M? It seems to me the cold air box is missing.

Per

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:48:36 +0100

Joel

I don't doubt they have sold for that, particularly, at the overhyped RM
auctions. I just don't see how they are worth that when they are just  BN2
's with a few bolt on extras.

If I had 175K to spend on a car it  wouldn't be a 100M

Derek

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Agree that much is not correct and that's what can be seen in only a
> handful of general pics. Makes you question everything else. Definitely
> would walk away from this one, or maybe even run. Disagree with the the
> comment that a properly restored factory M would be $135K, a decent older
> restoration sold at RM for $162K in Jan. 2012, and another private sale of
> a nicer factory M just this month is reported at approximately $175K.
> Joel
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 22:59:40 +1000

My take?
The "paper" and "documents" that make this an "M" are worth $120k
The metal and mechanical stuff is worth $15k. Or maybe it's $110K plus $25k
for the metal??
So if it was a BN2 with no "M" stuff - at $15k - $25k, we'd all be good??
Like the Lemans accident 100/S. or most other unrestored 100/Ms,
Investors in historic items are focussed  on provenance.
I.e. is it historically correct and can it proven to be? Of limited supply?
Check the price on Steiff teddy bears v any other teddy bear made around the
early 1910's or so.
It's all about limited production, and proveability. Hence works car prices,
100/S prices, and 100/M prices. It's the piece of paper that is the "value" -
not the metal.
That's the issue. The value is in the paper proof. Not the actual metal.
Get used to it.
Enthusiasts look at the metal. Investors look at the paper. Make sense??
I'm an enthusiast.
Me.
Chris
Best

Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rich Chrysler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:11:58 -0400

Anybody find any chassis numbers, etc.  for this car? If they want any
decent prices they're going to have to show a lot more detail. This thing is
being advertised like they know it's shortcomings and are very carefully NOT
showing them.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jose Vicente Vargas
Sent: May-15-12 9:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale

For a 135 k car they should have more pictures available. For what I see the
engine bay needs a lt of work, increect colors and the dashboard and the
white seats...omg

Sent from my iPad

On 15/05/2012, at 5:51 p.m., [email-masked] wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual 
> donation  $12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 07:17:43 -0700

Hi Chris,

I see your point and agree on principle, but not on your value assigned.
The main reason is that documented "Basket case" 100Ms in the U.S. are
currently going for around $50 to $60K.  Subtract the price of a similar
"Basket case" BN2 and you have the value.  In this I am assuming that you
then ship this basket of parts off to a handful of qualified Healey
specialists and have it restored CORRECTLY for anywhere from $100 to
$120K.  If you want it to Gold Concours level, expect to pay more.

What do I mean by "basket case"?  The car is completely dismantled, in
boxes of parts, mostly complete but may be missing some important parts.
It will need a complete restoration on all components and substantial body
work.  The amount of body work and missing parts (100M specific parts) may
determine the final cost.

Cheers,

Curt

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>wrote:

> The metal and mechanical stuff is worth $15k. Or maybe it's $110K plus
> $25k for the metal??
> Check the price on Steiff teddy bears v any other teddy bear made around
> the early 1910's or so.
> It's all about limited production, and proveability. Hence works car
> prices, 100/S prices, and 100/M prices. It's the piece of paper that is the
> "value" - not the metal.

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:43:23 +0000 (UTC)

re: " If I had 175K to spend on a car it wouldn't be a 100M " 

Also, it's pretty dang silly to spend $35K on a (barely) decent BJ8 when you can get a new, nicely-appointed Honda Accord--with enough left over for a few pairs of Birkenstocks and a couple fanny packs--for that. 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

Joel 

Derek 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:57:11 +0000 (UTC)

Sarcasm duly noted. 

I can just imagine being retired and sitting in a rocking chair out on the porch telling my grand kids about how I used to own a Honda Accord and the driving pleasure, stories, and experiences it provided. 

What makes these cars valuable is that there is a fixed number and there are no more. The more rare, the more valuable. Hence the value gap between a straight forward BN2 and a factory 100M. These are old cars and they are-what-they-are, which is a whole lot of fun with a potential financial upside. Can't remember the last time I jumped in my Microsoft stock and enjoyed a Sunday afternoon in the sun. Anyways to each his own. 

Joel 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Derek Job" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:43:23 AM 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale 

re: "If I had 175K to spend on a car it wouldn't be a 100M" 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

Joel 

Derek 

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:07:29 -0700 (PDT)

Doesn't look like this car is marketed to "enthusiasts" but is designed to
catch the eye of an "investor" or someone who just wants to add another bauble
to their collection.  OTOH, it's way cheaper than the $185k Nazi SS officer's
uniform he has for sale:
http://www.palmbeachclassics.com/luxurydetails.php?id=16

Rick

Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

--- On Wed, 5/16/12, Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale
To: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 8:59 AM

My take?

Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:25:22 +0100

Whos talking about Honda Accords?. You can get a nice classic Ferrari 330
for that money or a race prepped E-type, or 2 full blown race prepped
3000s.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:29:17 +0100

Chris

I agree it is the provenance, but Im just asking what is so special about
100Ms. The 100S is a different kettle of fish because it is a completely
different car to the 100s and 100M.

If its just rarity and provenance then a Tri-Carb BN7 should be worth 175K
because its rarer than a 100M.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Derek Job <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Rich Chrysler <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:10:30 +0200

If I had 175K I could get an excellent early and an excellent late 6cylinder
Healey. Which are proper cars compared to the 4cylinders with all their
shortcomings. Then I have two different cars with different characters but
their engines have the right sound. I would never go for a 100M. I own a 100
and a 3000 and know what I am talking about.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Bob Spidell
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2012 16:43
An: Derek Job
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale

Also, it's pretty dang silly to spend $35K on a (barely) decent BJ8 when you
can get a new, nicely-appointed Honda Accord--with enough left over for a few
pairs of Birkenstocks and a couple fanny packs--for that.

Bob

----- Original Message -----

Joel

I don't doubt they have sold for that, particularly, at the overhyped RM
auctions. I just don't see how they are worth that when they are just BN2 's
with a few bolt on extras.

Derek
$12.75

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:02:10 +0200

Hi Derek,
There is nothing special about 100Ms. Its like Alpina BMWs or AMG Mercedes`s.
They are ranged in value a bit higher than the stock ones. But are they
better??
I own a 100 BN1. It's the first and last 100 I have bought. I always prefer
the ride and sound of a 6cylinder than these tractor 4cylinders ;-).
Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Derek Job
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2012 18:29
An: Rich Chrysler
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale

Chris

Derek
www.healeysix.net

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Derek Job <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Whos talking about Honda Accords?. You can get a nice classic Ferrari
> 330 for that money or a race prepped E-type, or 2 full blown race
> prepped 3000s.
>
> Derek
> www.healeysix.net
>
> <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>
>> Anybody find any chassis numbers, etc.  for this car? If they want
>> any decent prices they're going to have to show a lot more detail.
>> This thing is being advertised like they know it's shortcomings and
>> are very carefully NOT showing them.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> For a 135 k car they should have more pictures available. For what I
>> see the engine bay needs a lt of work, increect colors and the
>> dashboard and the white seats...omg
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> > Got a reference today from "Palm Beach Classics, Inc." for a "
>> > Austin Healey 100-M " they have for sale.
>> >

[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:07:00 -0700 (PDT)

What would you spend it on?

Ron Mitchell
BN7
BN6
________________________________
 From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Sent:
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale
 
Joel
's

If I had 175K to spend on a car it  wouldn't be a
100M

Derek

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 19:10:10 +0000 (UTC)

Derek, 

You're using logic and reason where they don't apply. The cars are 'worth' what someone is willing to pay for them; same as art, houses, property, guns, antiques, boats, airplanes, etc. Simple as that. 

Also, maybe the fact the cars were modified at the DMHMC plant adds some cachet. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

Chris 

Derek 
www.healeysix.net 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Harlan Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:38:16 -0700

This 100M discussion is fascinating reflecting the changing attitudes toward
Healeys and 100Ms in particular. I come from the perspective of a long time
owner. My father bought my 100M new in 1956. He gave it to me in 1960. I got
about 10 traffic tickets in it in 2 years. To me the 100M was a lightly
hot-rodded 100, and after the unobtainiable100S the best handling, and best
driving, sportiest Healey ever; yes, IMHO, even better than the tri-carb
BN7. When I grew up with the 100M it was considered rather ordinary among
the top tier girl catching cars a high-school kid could drive. The corvettes
were higher status, as were GTO's and Chevelles among the auto shop class
crowd. The status winner, at least for me, was the Dentist's son who drove a
300SL. My father's Chevy 409 with a 3-speed stick on the column was rarer
and farther away from a standard Chevy than the 100M was from a 100. So to
me the 100M was just another car to hot rod. And I did. And yes, I threw
away the factory tools and roll because they were poorly made and too heavy
to carry in the boot. The idea that a 100M would become a semi-sacred object
was inconceivable to me. The smart guys were installing Ford 289's inspired
by Caroll Shelby's work with the AC chassis. The dumber ones turned them
into drag strip cars. I don't remember any purists then, you either modified
or didn't care enough to modify.

So I have a quandary. Restore my 100M to factory original, an original I
then and now believe can be much improved upon so the market and the Healey
community will treat the result with respect. Or 'improve' my 100M to my
liking at the risk of the Healey community finding a bugler, a snare
drummer, and a parade ground to hold my drummed out of the corp ceremony?
Logic and good sense as in $'s says restore it to factory original warts and
all. Chris put it best for me, the value is in the paper, not the metal.
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 22:08:54 +0100

Bob

It's just my opinion but I think people are paying those prices because
they don't know what they are doing. How many real Healey enthusiasts would
pay 175K for a 100M. None in my opinion. There is nothing special about the
cars, yes there are only 600 or so but as I said , there are only 350 BN7
Tri-Carbs. This market has been hyped up by various American auction houses
and dealers. Now if you own a 100M, good for you, I like those cars, but if
I had one I'd sell it for 175K. Reminds me a bit of the mining industry. if
ever we discovered a gold deposit we would sell it, because people would
pay way over the odds for it and we could better invest the funds elsewhere.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:00:15 -0700

Build  it anyway you want. It's your car. If you want to turn it into an
investment, restore it, if you want to build it so you can enjoy it your
way, go for it. I bought my car in the mid 70s for $500.00. I've made some
improvements that upset some (smitty 5 speed, HD8 carbs)
It's their issue, not mine.
Donald Healey was just happy to see his cars on the road.
Ira Erbs
1960 BT7

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Harlan Polk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:20:07 -0700

I think my point--at least part of it--got missed (maybe buried in too much sarcasm).

If you think someone paying close to $200K for a factory 100M is absurd, keep in mind that to many people--probably a 
large majority--spending any money (or time) at all on an old British 2 (or 2.5)-seater is absurd; cars are 4-wheeled 
appliances for getting groceries and taking the kids to soccer/football practice.    There are plenty of people who 
think you would be just plain silly to spend a penny on a 6-cyl Healey, so it's all relative.

I do agree that 100Ms may be in a bit of speculative bubble, though (it's been going on for several years, so may have 
some staying power).  More justified, IMO, in the bubble in old muscle cars, which have no appeal to me.

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 16:45:32 +0100

Point taken Bob.

I should clarify my position as well. I hope I didn't appear to be down on
100Ms because I'm not, I absolutely love the cars. I just think, and it is
just my opinion, that the premium for factory Ms is much too high because,
unlike the S, they have relatively few modifications over a standard 100
plus the M package had been sold as a dealer option for 2 or 3 years before
the factory M arrived.

However if people are willing to pay these prices then that's great for the
100M owners.

cheers

Derek

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If you think someone paying close to $200K for a factory 100M is absurd,
> keep in mind that to many people--probably a large majority--spending any
> money (or time) at all on an old British 2 (or 2.5)-seater is absurd; cars
> are 4-wheeled appliances for getting groceries and taking the kids to
> soccer/football practice.    There are plenty of people who think you would
> be just plain silly to spend a penny on a 6-cyl Healey, so it's all
> relative.
>
> I do agree that 100Ms may be in a bit of speculative bubble, though (it's
> been going on for several years, so may have some staying power).  More
> justified, IMO, in the bubble in old muscle cars, which have no appeal to
> me.
>
> Bob
>
>
>
> ***********************************************************************
> ***********************************************************************

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 22:15:29 -0500

" I do agree that 100Ms may be in a bit of speculative bubble, though (it's 
been going on for several years, so may have some staying power).  More 
justified, IMO, in the bubble in old muscle cars, which have no appeal to 
me.

 Bob"

The really crazy bubble is the bubble in "bubble" or microcars, like the 
Isettas and Mescheschmitts and such, which bring 20 or 30K or more at 
auction restored these days.

Greg

[email-masked]

---

From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 06:50:11 -0700

Greg & Bob,

I couldn't *disagree* more.  I've already presented the facts that for the
past 35+ years the Factory 100Ms have sold for 1/3 to 1/4 of what 100S have
sold for, and it still continues.  So how is a consistent 35 year price run
a "Speculative bubble"?  You can't ignore the facts.

Here's what I've presented...

*"In the past a similar 100S has sold for 3 to 4 times the price of a
Factory 100M.  Given that 100Ss are going for $600 to $700K (the Le Mans
car being the exception) then 100Ms SHOULD be worth $150 to $230K.*"

*"As I stated previously, Factory Ms have always been 25 to 30% of 100Ss.
When 100Ss were $10K an M was $2,500, then when 100S's were $100K M's were
$25K, and now that 100S's are $600 to $700K... well you do the math.  It's
always been what people will pay.*"

Cheers,

Curt

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Greg Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> " I do agree that 100Ms may be in a bit of speculative bubble, though
> (it's been going on for several years, so may have some staying power).
>  More justified, IMO, in the bubble in old muscle cars, which have no
> appeal to me.
>
> Bob"
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/cnaarndt@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 06:54:52 -0700

I (gladly) stand corrected.  May the 100Ses continue to rise in value.

Bob

On 5/19/2012 6:50 AM, Curt/Nancy Arndt wrote:
> Greg & Bob,
>
> I couldn't _disagree_ more.  I've already presented the facts that for the past 35+ years the Factory 100Ms have sold 
> for 1/3 to 1/4 of what 100S have sold for, and it still continues.  So how is a consistent 35 year price run a 
> "Speculative bubble"?  You can't ignore the facts.
>
> /"In the past a similar 100S has sold for 3 to 4 times the price of a Factory 100M.  Given that 100Ss are going for 
> $600 to $700K (the Le Mans car being the exception) then 100Ms SHOULD be worth $150 to $230K./"
>
> /"As I stated previously, Factory Ms have always been 25 to 30% of 100Ss.  When 100Ss were $10K an M was $2,500, then 
> when 100S's were $100K M's were $25K, and now that 100S's are $600 to $700K... well you do the math.  It's always been 
> what people will pay./"
>
> Cheers,
>
> Curt
>
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Greg Lemon <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     " I do agree that 100Ms may be in a bit of speculative bubble, though (it's been going on for several years, so
>     may have some staying power).  More justified, IMO, in the bubble in old muscle cars, which have no appeal to me.
>
>     Bob"
>
>     The really crazy bubble is the bubble in "bubble" or microcars, like the Isettas and Mescheschmitts and such,
>     which bring 20 or 30K or more at auction restored these days.
>
>     Greg
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 15:11:09 +0100

Curt

That's one way of looking at the statistics, however I would suggest if you
look at it from the percentage premium of a 100M over a 100 there has been
a massive rise to the situation where it seems a 100M is almost 3 times the
price of a normal 100.  Not that long ago the premium was maybe 20% or 30%.
To me the 100M comparison should always be to a normal 100 not a 100S which
as we know is a totally different car.

Derek
www.healeysix

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I couldn't _disagree_ more.  I've already presented the facts that for
>> the past 35+ years the Factory 100Ms have sold for 1/3 to 1/4 of what 100S
>> have sold for, and it still continues.  So how is a consistent 35 year
>> price run a "Speculative bubble"?  You can't ignore the facts.
>>
>>
>> /"In the past a similar 100S has sold for 3 to 4 times the price of a
>> car being the exception) then 100Ms SHOULD be worth $150 to $230K./"
>>
>> /"As I stated previously, Factory Ms have always been 25 to 30% of 100Ss.
>> always been what people will pay./"
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Curt
>>
>>
>> (it's been going on for several years, so
>>    may have some staying power).  More justified, IMO, in the bubble in
>> old muscle cars, which have no appeal to me.
>>
>>    Bob"
>>
>>    [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]**>
>>

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 17:47:38 -0400

Though we all seem to agree that there is a differential value between an M
and a standard 100 (or for that matter a Lemans) I did not see any opinions
regarding how much that might be.  I'd be interested in hearing thoughts
regarding what premium attaches to an M.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Greg Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> options/healeys/michael.oritt@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 23:11:42 -0400

Ok. I guess I have to jump in on this. "Are they better?"

Yes, they are better. Roughly 25% more horsepower, heavier sway bar resulting
in better handling. the 4 speed is much more pleasant to drive than the BN1,
and the louvered hood w/strap make them a standout in any crowd. Sure there
may have been some marketing ploy by Donald Healey with the 100 M but
regardless, it produced a faster, better driving car. Give him credit.

May be why so many re-productions are built today!

Now, take into account production numbers. 640 BN2 !00 M's built, maybe
175-185 still exist today. BN1 & BN2 production was roughly 14,000, and maybe
3500+ (Rich ?) are still known to exist. Supply & Demand. When these fewer
items perform better & look better, they are going to bring significantly more
money. Add to that the prominence of being built at the Healey Racing Factory!
:-)

To those of you have said that the 100 M should, or has, held a premium of 20%
-30% over a standard car, I'd ask, if you actually owned a 100M & wanted to
sell, would you price it within that range 20-30% range or what the market is
now paying for 100 M's?

So, If in the 20-30% range, I have cash!!!!

BTW, I have the 2 - 100 M's because they are the most fun to drive around the
back country roads where iI live. The BJ8 is for cross country tours.
Different cars for different purposes.  (Not sure why I have the BN7
tri-carb!)  :-)

Randy

Randy Hicks
www.austinhealey100m.com
'56 100 M  White/Black
'56 100 M  Florida Green/OEW
'55 BN1 (Sold)
'62 BN7 MkII with factory hardtop
'65 BJ8
'53 MGTD
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 15:39:39 +1000

I really can't let this pass, "The 4 speed is much more pleasant to 
drive than the BN1" I don't think so!!
No offence, my opinion.
Cheers
Larry

On 20/05/2012 1:11 PM, Randy Hicks wrote:
> 175-185 still exist today. BN1&  BN2 production was roughly 14,000, and maybe
> 3500+ (Rich ?) are still known to exist. Supply&  Demand. When these fewer
> items perform better&  look better, they are going to bring significantly more
> -30% over a standard car, I'd ask, if you actually owned a 100M&  wanted to
> On May 16, 2012, at 3:02 PM,<[email-masked]>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2012.0.2176 / Virus Database: 2425/5010 - Release Date: 05/19/12

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 11:14:58 +0200

I would say a 100M has its value when all the special M parts are with the car
and original and its prove that with body and chassis number its a "real"
100M. Here on the east side of the Atlantic pond such cars seem to be rare
rare like hen`s teeth. I have never seen one so far.
Those 100M cars offered are usually modified and hence have lost what it makes
a "real" 100M. So the prices asked for are not at justified. Some years ago
such 100Ms were offered for about 3000 Euro`s or Brit. Pounds on top of an
"ordinary" BN1 or BN2.
This year I saw one of those 100Ms offered for 150TEuro, which is about double
of an ordinary 100. People just think when they have a Heritage certificate
which certifies the car as a "real" 100M its worth double of an ordinary 100,
even fitted with lets say weber carbs, no matching engine number, front disk
brakes, aluminium radiator, wrong colour, motolita steering wheel, etc. Ok, if
the money is paid its worth the price - no doubt. But this is somewhat stupid
in my mind and this bubble may burst one time. Time will show.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im
Auftrag von Michael Oritt
Gesendet: Samstag, 19. Mai 2012 23:48
An: Greg Lemon
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale

Best--Michael Oritt

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Greg Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The really crazy bubble is the bubble in "bubble" or microcars, like
> the Isettas and Mescheschmitts and such, which bring 20 or 30K or more
> at auction restored these days.
>
> Greg

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rich Chrysler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 09:30:51 -0400

I also totally agree with Larry on this one. Having owned and driven both
extensively, I always prefer the 3 speed box for sheer fun and great ratios.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Larry Varley
Sent: May-20-12 1:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "100-M" for sale

I really can't let this pass, "The 4 speed is much more pleasant to drive
than the BN1" I don't think so!!
No offence, my opinion.
Cheers
Larry

On 20/05/2012 1:11 PM, Randy Hicks wrote:
> Yes, they are better. Roughly 25% more horsepower, heavier sway bar 
> resulting in better handling. the 4 speed is much more pleasant to 
> drive than the BN1, and the louvered hood w/strap make them a standout 
> in any crowd. Sure there may have been some marketing ploy by Donald 
> Healey with the 100 M but regardless, it produced a faster, better driving
car. Give him credit.
> 3500+ (Rich ?) are still known to exist. Supply&  Demand. When these 
> 3500+ fewer
> items perform better&  look better, they are going to bring 
> significantly more money. Add to that the prominence of being built at the
Healey Racing Factory!
> :-)
>
> To those of you have said that the 100 M should, or has, held a 
> premium of 20% -30% over a standard car, I'd ask, if you actually 
> owned a 100M&  wanted to sell, would you price it within that range 
> 20-30% range or what the market is now paying for 100 M's?
>
> BTW, I have the 2 - 100 M's because they are the most fun to drive 
> around the back country roads where iI live. The BJ8 is for cross country
tours.

[email-masked]