Subject: [Healeys] scoops not vents

From: Pieter and Linda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 15:06:40 +0200

I went along to a classic car rally here in Luxembourg today and saw a BJ8
that had forward facing scoops on the side of the front guards in place of
rally vents. Spoke to the owner who carefully explained that BMC had got it
wrong at the time and all Healey racers since had "stupidly" followed suit.
His theory was the the scoops and front grill combine to create an area of
high pressure in the engine bay that "force feeds" the engine " just like a
supercharger". I think maybe has has sniffed a few to many exhaust fumes. Nice
day out though with some interesting cars including a very original and
obviously much used Bugatti racer,
cheers
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:05:02 -0700 (PDT)

One Healey scoop idea that I always liked was done when one of the regular
auto-xers in our sports car club had an accident that damaged the left front
fender and shroud of his Healey.  When repairs were done, sheet metal was
placed over the valley between the fender and the hood.  The area near the
carbs in the shroud was cut out, thereby creating a ram effect to the carbs. 
The mod was very professionally done and looked very good.  Don't know how
much it helped performance, but that Healey always did quite well in the
auto-x.

Rick

Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

--- On Thu, 5/17/12, Pieter and Linda <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Pieter and Linda <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] scoops not vents
To: "healeys List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 9:06 AM

supercharger". I think maybe has has sniffed a few to many exhaust fumes.
Nice

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 14:19:55 -0500

<<  On 5/17/2012 8:06 AM, Pieter and Linda wrote:
> I think maybe has has sniffed a few to many exhaust fumes.   >>
Nah, Pieter ! !  But I would REALLY like some of what he's on <G> ! ! !

HealeyRick

[email-masked]

---

From: Joe and Lenore Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 22:26:10 +1000

>obviously much used Bugatti racer,

A different perspective on vents vs. scoops.  Remember Geoff Healey was 
a very successful builder of record breakers and  long distance race 
cars ie. not rally cars. He achieved this by paying attention to the 
basics and small details. None of his Healeys could be considered full 
of exotic parts.

Now scoop vs. vent.  Anybody familiar with air flow will agree that the 
easiest way to achieve this without fans is to have air in a high 
pressure area ( for example in front of a speeding radiator) flow to a 
low pressure area. ( say behind a radiator)  This low pressure area will 
not exist if you have a bloody great scoop trying to force air into an 
engine bay that has only a small escape route such as under a speeding , 
low ground clearance Healey.  Also air which has been heated takes up a 
greater volume than cool or ambient air.  Therefore Healeys have vents 
behind the inner wheel arch to provide a low power required, 'free' air 
discharge point to prevent pressure build up behind the radiator where 
low pressure is required to facilitate good air flow through the 
radiator. Also less engine bay air pressure helps minimise that tricky 
hot stuff forcing ots way through all the holes and crevices into the 
cockpit.

Sucking is cheaper than blowing

My Healey with these vents has never overheated. I think Healeys have 
got it right.

[email-masked]