Subject: [Healeys] Drivers vs. Shiners

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:36:36 -0600

One of my Triumph buddies told about a certain TR6 at an early Vintage
Triumph Register convention.  The VTR rules say that for a car to be
eligible for an award in the Concours, it must participate in one of the
moving events.

So at the autocross these folks push a TR6 out of the enclosed trailer.
They put in oil, brake fluid, antifreeze.  The owner made one autocross
run, basically doing the whole course at idle speed - the bare minimum
to qualify.  Then they drained the oil, drained the antifreeze, drained the
brake fluid then carefully pushed the car back into the trailer.

Wow.

mjb.
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: F Ronald Rader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:37:44 -0700

all i can say is "pity"
ron

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:51:56 -0600

> all i can say is "pity"

Really.  And once back in the trailer, it stayed locked up in there until
they rolled it out on the show grounds.  Rumor has it that was the one
and only VTR meet the attended.  Seems they just didn't quite fit in with
the usual VTR crowd, you know, the other 2 - 3 hundred folks who spent
the weekend proudly DRIVING their Triumphs.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:09:46 -0700

Mark,

Gosh, most Jaguar Concours folks I know aren't even that anal.

Curt

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/cnaarndt@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:37:37 +0200

Quite sad indeed. I am involved in FIA historic rallying, and all I can say
old cars come back to life above 5k on the tacho: spectators smiling and
weaving, engine pulling to the limit, tyres squeeling on the tarmack,
pilots begging for grip... just like in the good old days.
Why not?
I immgine that a trailer queen will live a longer life, but nowhere near as
intreting imho.

Gergo

2012/5/29 Curt/Nancy Arndt <[email-masked]>

> > http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
> >
> > options/healeys/cnaarndt@**gmail.com<
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: F Ronald Rader <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 00:18:22 -0700

where is the passion in showing a car. 
it is nice. 
it is good. 

it is not like pushing your car thru the mountains in Az or Montana. 

that is not good. 
that is WOW!!
ron
XK 150 FHC
Nash Healey
E Type
GT 350 H

all driven hard and put away wet. 

Sent from my iPhone

On May 29, 2012, at 11:37 PM, Austin Healey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> say

[email-masked]

---

From: Henry Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:00:25 -0600

I see both sides of the argument.  After you have spent years cleaning every
little clip on your car to bring it back to exact original condition, it's
hard to watch a bird poop on it and take $30K off the value at auction.

Cheers, Henry Morrison, Albuquerque, NM

(I hope the guys who autocrossed their TR6 at idle, at least won the concours,
assuming it wasn't popular choice.)
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: "Kit Henry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:39:40 -0400

I see and don't see both sides of this. The majority of concours cars I have 
ever seen are better than the way they were when they were built.
These cars were built in factories and no matter how much care is given they 
all have flaws, and mistakes and little chips here and there. Let it be.
Sorry I am a believer that the cars were meant to be driven not put on 
trailers. I sold my fully restored 54 Mg TF as it was better than new, great 
car was afraid to park it anywhere.
On the other hand I loved my in progress 65 BJ 8, that got the wheels run 
off of it and was driven like Donald had built it to be, it was 
unfortunately sold and is now with the Westfall's in Chicgao and they are 
slowly doing the restoration, while enjoying her tempermental british charm.
Last year at Put In Bay, my brother gave me the cahnce to drive our families 
beloved 1948 MG TC, and I'm told I wheeled it almost as hard as my father 
would of (He was probaly grinning from ear to ear)
I did a jaguar deal one time in Cleveland, and it was fun, though never 
again will I spend that much time to detail a car for the driven class to 
find out driven to most these guys meant to unlaod the car from a tariler a 
couple blocks away and drive into the show. Our went 90 miles down the 
turnpike, bugs normal leaks and all and then were clean as best possible for 
the show. Guess what we didn't do that well, though bet I had more FUN 
driving a car that was built to be driven.

Kit Henry

85 Jaguar XJS (Gertrag 5 speed)
48 MG TC  (Chuck Henry's HP Race Car)
72 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible Restored and FOR SALE
69 Dodge A 100 Cab Over P/U
79 Dodge Warlock
71 Innocenti Mini

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Henry Morrison" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Drivers vs. Shiners

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]