Subject: [Healeys] "Moving coil voltmeter"

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 19:25:04 +0100

I may have a charging issue with my 3000. 

The fan belt could be tighter and that'll be my first adjustment.
Thereafter....

Well, the BMC book, Section N, makes reference to testing with a "moving
coil voltmeter". Am I correct in my hope and supposition that this is an old
fashioned meter with a needle? (Like the one I've had for the last 20
years). Yes, I do know that the book dates back to the early 60s so digital
meters weren't around(?), but I don't know what else was around then.
Certainly, I was around but I thought then that all meters were the same ie
with a needle and presumably a coil...? A "moving" coil??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Simon
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 00:07:46 +0000 (UTC)

My immediate answer is yes, moving coil is the 'old style' analog voltmeter, but why would they specify 'moving coil?' So I checked Wikipedia to be sure. Some older analog voltmeters had vacuum-tube or FET amps to boost the signal to the moving coil, and probably to increase input impedance. My guess is they specified 'moving coil' to distinguish from the pre-amped type. 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

Simon 

[email-masked]