Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ashtray style <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe> <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:04:29 -0700

Just a follow-up to an old thread I stated.

I obtained a new ash tray from AH Spares. I used an old insert with a 
re-chromed correct lid.

John
San Jose, CA
'62 tri-carb

At 07:24 PM 4/7/2011 -0700, Earl Kagna wrote:
>John:
>
>I'm just working my way through this ashtray thing right now.  The 
>new astray I bought - sourced fro Autofarm in Ontario - will not 
>take the original insert without a lot of fiddling, at least the one 
>I got didn't. The lids 'legs' are bowed - not flat to the ashtray 
>body sides - which they have to be to clear the insert when it's 
>installed.  The 'new' insert is much narrower so the 'bowed' legs 
>clear with no problem.  Hard to explain, but immediately clear once 
>the whole mess is in your hands.  I 'unbowed' the legs in order to 
>stay with the original insert - receptacle and lid - it worked 
>fairly well.  The chrome shop is having another go at the original 
>body / lid, and I should see it in a couple of days.  I'll use 
>whichever arrangement comes out best.  Am I nuts with this or what!
>
>If you go the re-chroming route, make sure that the chrome shop 
>understands how the parts fit together and work.  There's very 
>little clearance - if the plating gets too thick, the lid will bind 
>on the body and you won't have that 'concours snap'.  For me, the 
>cost of re-chroming was about the same as a new ashtray - around $60.00 or so.
>
>Let me (us) know what route you choose.
>
>
>Earl Kagna
>Victoria, B.C.
>BJ8, BT7 tri-carb
>
>
>-----Original Message----- From: john spaur
>Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:19 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Healeys] Ashtray style
>
>The ashtray in my '62 BT7 has a lid that flips sideways with an
>oblong hole under the main lid that rotates open. I am told that the
>available ashtrays no longer have the inner lid with an oblong hole.
>I am thinking it would be less expensive to get a new ashtray instead
>of re-chroming the old one.
>
>Does anyone know if the new style ashtrays will accept the inner ash
>receptacle from the old style ashtrays?
>
>Thank you,
>John Spaur
>San Jose, California
>
>
>__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus 
>signature database 6025 (20110408) __________
>
>The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
>
>http://www.eset.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:04:29 -0700

John
San Jose, CA
'62 tri-carb

[email-masked]