Subject: [Healeys] Grease dripping from top of steering column on BN2 non-adjustable

From: mike brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:45:09 +0100 (BST)

Just returned from 1500 mile trip (Scotland to Goodwood Revival and back -
great time and would thoroughly recommend). 100 behaved very well except it
spewed grease out of the steering column behind the steering wheel. Last time
I had the steering apart was in 2005 when I fitted a horn/indicator assembly
off Ebay (missing when acquired car). It has been fine for seven years then
suddenly caused this problem. Anyone got any ideas what's happened?

Thanks in
advance

Mike Brooks
'56 BN2
Scotland

Reply
to: [email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:18:10 -0400 (EDT)

Mike
If there is not a felt bush in your column the steering wheel will have
excessive movement, inner column will rattle in the outer column. The felt
bush is installed at the upper (steering wheel) end of the column assembly.
Also BMC parts lists, Moss, etc shows two rubber rings installed between the
inner and outer columns that should, in theory, help keep the oil in the
steering box and off your lap.
Aloha
Perry

There was no felt cylinder in my steering column when I pulled it apart in
005. So there isn't one now either!! Not sure I'll be taking it all apart to
it one though.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]