Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle issues <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe> <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:33:51 -0700

This (replacing the seal) isn't a bad job.  Disconnect the driveshaft (duh).  The big nut on the yoke may be difficult 
to remove if it's still torqued well (you'll likely be under the car with a big breaker bar so be careful). Your e-brake 
should hold the axles so you can undo the nut.  The yoke is on a splined shaft so it it's not rusted on should come off 
with a little plastic hammer persuasion.  You'll have to dig the old seal out with a worm or pick or similar (don't 
scatch the surface of the seal seat)

Grease the lip of the new seal and tap it in evenly with a drift (a little silicone on the outside of the seal can't 
hurt). Install the seal so the outer edge is even with the inside edge of the bevel on the inside of the end of the 
third member (this way, it rides on the proper machined surface of the yoke).  IIRC the big nut needs to be torqued to 
140ft-lbs.

Bob

On 9/30/2012 3:54 PM, Steve B. Gerow wrote:
> The seal at the nose of my rear axle where the driveshaft enters is starting to leak. I detect no play in the bearing by attempting to move the rear u-joint.
>
> Is it likely the front bearing is bad, or can I probably get away with replacing the seal.
>
> Is there an additive which can swell the seal slightly?
>
> How difficult is it to get the flange off the pinion shaft?
>
> Would be grateful for any experience-based help.
>

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 20:07:21 -0400

Steve, most likely it's only the seal that needs replacing.  I changed the
pinion seal in my BJ8 and didn't find it particularly difficult.  The
biggest problem is holding the pinion from turning while you loosen and
tighten the nut.  I made a "stop" from a piece of angle iron, attached to
the pinion flange with a bolt.  Could probably just clamp it to the flange,
too.  The iron was long enough to touch the floor and resist the turning of
the wrench.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Steve B. Gerow
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Rear Axle issues

The seal at the nose of my rear axle where the driveshaft enters is starting
to leak. I detect no play in the bearing by attempting to move the rear
u-joint.

Is it likely the front bearing is bad, or can I probably get away with
replacing the seal.

--
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA
BN6

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 04:49:00 +0000

Also check the machined surface where the seal makes contact. If it is worn or
grooved it will need to be re-surfaced or you can install a ready sleeve to
restore the surface.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554

> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:33:51 -0700
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle issues
>
> to remove if it's still torqued well (you'll likely be under the car with a
big breaker bar so be careful). Your e-brake
> should hold the axles so you can undo the nut.  The yoke is on a splined
shaft so it it's not rusted on should come off
> with a little plastic hammer persuasion.  You'll have to dig the old seal
out with a worm or pick or similar (don't
> Grease the lip of the new seal and tap it in evenly with a drift (a little
silicone on the outside of the seal can't
> hurt). Install the seal so the outer edge is even with the inside edge of
the bevel on the inside of the end of the
> third member (this way, it rides on the proper machined surface of the
yoke).  IIRC the big nut needs to be torqued to
> > The seal at the nose of my rear axle where the driveshaft enters is
starting to leak. I detect no play in the bearing by attempting to move the
rear u-joint.
replacing the seal.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:33:51 -0700

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 20:07:21 -0400

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 04:49:00 +0000

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554

replacing the seal.

[email-masked]