Subject: Re: [Healeys] Advice------BJ8 shift lever spring circlip installation <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe> <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 19:59:02 -0600

You need to be very dexterous with a couple of long, bladed tools to depress
the spring evenly whist spreading the circlip.. or get a helper..
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tom Felts
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 7:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Advice------BJ8 shift lever spring circlip installation

I have tried every trick I know--said a million swear words and still I
cannot get this circlip over the spring for the shift lever.

Does anyone have any tricks or methods to get this thing back in the groove?

thanks
tom
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 19:45:12 -0700

I remember this task being a PITA, but only a couple-dozen swear words' worth.

IIRC, the problem isn't the circlip so much as the spring.  Since you're not having any luck just jamming it in, maybe 
you could compress the spring in a vice and bind it with a couple tie-wraps.  Then, you should be able to work the 
circlip in in the usual fashion; i.e. working it in starting at one end.   When you have the clip in cut the tie-wraps.

Haven't tried this, but in theory it should work.

Bob

On 9/3/2012 6:14 PM, Tom Felts wrote:
> I have tried every trick I know--said a million swear words and still I cannot get this circlip over the spring for the shift lever.
>

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Donaldson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 21:19:55 +1200

Tom, et al,

I have a BJ8 box on the workbench at present.   I checked it out.  
There is a steel washer under the circlip - exactly the same dimension
as the circlip. I was able to fairly easily remove the circlip by
squeezing the tabs together with my fingers. The circlip, washer, and
spring then popped up, as expected.  The installation process was just
as easy.  I pushed the washer down on one side so it locked in the
groove, then ran my finger around the inside, above the circlip, and
it easily popped into place.   A liberal squirt of WD-40 would help.

With the transmission tunnel in place I'd probably have to use a pair
of needle-nosed pliers. And maybe a screwdriver instead of my finger.

Over the years I have seen several top-loader gearboxes that do NOT
have that washer.  It makes all the difference.   You might like to
check.

As it happens, the last time I performed this little operation was in
a motel car park in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, en route from Vancouver, BC,
to Snowmass, way back in (your) summer of 1982.  After we'd run out of
choice words we eventually scared that darned thing back into place.
:-)

Mark
Auckland, NZ

_____________________________________________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: David Porter [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, 4 September 2012 1:59 p.m.
To: 'Tom Felts'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Advice------BJ8 shift lever spring circlip
installation

You need to be very dexterous with a couple of long, bladed tools to
depress
the spring evenly whist spreading the circlip.. or get a helper..
dave

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicycles
Stuff

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tom Felts
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 7:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Advice------BJ8 shift lever spring circlip
installation

I have tried every trick I know--said a million swear words and still
I
cannot get this circlip over the spring for the shift lever.

Does anyone have any tricks or methods to get this thing back in the
groove?

thanks
tom

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
m
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 09:37:55 -0400

I fond that the little circlip pliers that I bought were worth a bunch of
words. Not great, but a whole lot better and they were cheap.

Bob Johnson
BJ8

[email-masked]

---

From: andy pole <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:13:51 +0000

Mark

You must have very strong fingers to squeeze the circlip tabs, thats the
problem, trying to squeeze the circlip closed and then hold it square while
using a flat screwdriver on the opposite side, then push the whole lot down
square whilst the spring is trying to overcome your vain efforts. The washer
doesnt make to much difference in the battle of wills.
Us girly brits must not be bred like the real men of nz (sorry tongue in
cheek).

Only advice is a good pair of circlip pliers, and maybe another pair of hands
on the screwdriver.

regards Andy

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 16:28:12 -0400

The last time that I did this, I used circlip pliers and a friend pressing
down with the screwdriver. Snapped right in -- no problem. I had bought the
circlip pliers several years earlier just to say I had them. Smart
investment. Probably will never use them again but sure saved me having my
wife come out to the garage to tell me to lower the volume or clean up my
rant.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ
www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of andy pole
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:14 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Advice------BJ8 shift lever spring circlip
installation

Mark

Only advice is a good pair of circlip pliers, and maybe another pair of
hands on the screwdriver.

regards Andy
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 19:59:02 -0600

cars:

-----Original Message-----

thanks
tom

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 19:45:12 -0700

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Donaldson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 21:19:55 +1200

Tom, et al,

Mark
Auckland, NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: David Porter [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, 4 September 2012 1:59 p.m.
To: 'Tom Felts'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Advice------BJ8 shift lever spring circlip
installation

cars:

-----Original Message-----

thanks
tom

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 09:37:55 -0400

Bob Johnson
BJ8

[email-masked]

---

From: andy pole <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:13:51 +0000

Mark

regards Andy

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 16:28:12 -0400

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ
www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----

Mark

regards Andy
$12.75

[email-masked]

[email-masked]