Subject: [Healeys] FW: California Retro License Plates

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:19:50 -0500

Some states allow a car owner to use original plates for the year of
manufacture if you can find them and if the number is not currently being
used. Utah is one and has a form for it. So if you live in Utah and can find
such a plate on eBay, etc, have at it. 

See: http://www.dmv.utah.gov/license-plates/antique-plates

I am in the process of checking to see if other states allow this but I am
sure that I saw several while I was updating the State links on my site.
More news to follow.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] California Retro License Plates

 Team,

There was an article in the Sacramento Bee Friday about a law that goes into
effect Jan 1 allowing car owners to apply for retro plates for $50. The
catch is that 7,500 requests have to be made for each type of plate before
they will begin printing them (see link below).

Regards
Phil

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/21/5069091/back-seat-driver-dmv-to-produce.htm
l

On 12/23/12, Bert Van Brande<[email-masked]> wrote:
 
Hi,
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:44:41 -0800

John:  I am sure that original plates are allowed in California.  I believe 
that I have provided the reference in the California Vehicle Code in 
previous e-mails.  There is a gentleman that shows up at local swap meets 
with lots of them.  The problem is that they must be original plates along 
with any (metal) "year" tags that were applicable.  The article in the 
Sacramento Bee that was mentioned also noted that "..The law was pushed by 
car club members who wanted vintage plates on their vintage cars - and have 
been victimized in the past by unscrupulous people claiming to sell them 
real vintage plates, only to discover they were forgeries...".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
To: "Healey List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:19 PM
Subject: [Healeys] FW: California Retro License Plates

> used. > John Sims, BN6
> Aberdeen, NJ....

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 18:40:49 -0800

Oregon allows for yom plates or any old plate to be transferred to your
car. I bought a pair of plates with pink slip for them to transfer to my
car.

Ira Erbs
IT Consultant.
Portland, OR
On Dec 23, 2012 5:19 PM, "John Sims" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: F Ronald Rader <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 18:53:44 -0800

i have YOM plates om my 1955 Nomad, XK 150, and E type.
there are several people in CA that  find and refurbish these plates.
you buy them $$ and then go to the DMV and have them registered to
your car because you "found them in the trunk".
ron

[email-masked]

---

From: Joseph Troutwine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 08:57:47 -0700

Add Arizona to the list of states.  I have them on both of my GTO's.

Joe Troutwine
'67 BJ-8

On 12/23/2012 7:40 PM, I Erbs wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Patton Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:35:35 -0600

Texas allows this.  (If anyone needs a matching set of 56 plates let me know)

Sent from my mobile

> On 12/23/12, Bert Van Brande<[email-masked]> wrote:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: robert westcott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:25:06 -0800

Washington State also allows the use of DOM plates.

Merry Christmas,

Rob

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:50:41 -0500

Yes. The recently announced legislation in California is for "a series of
three specialized license plates that replicate plates from California's
past." Not to be confused with the current program in California where a
legitimate "old" plate can be used. Links, etc. will be on my site in a day
or two. 

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Len and/or Marge Hartnett
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:45 PM
To: AH Mail List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: California Retro License Plates

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:24:23 -0500

North Carolina allows YOM plates for cars 35 years and older, and there are
no requirements for correct "stickers" or any other complications.  As a
matter of fact, the state statute doesn't even require that the plate be an
officially-issued plate.  Consequently, I had a plate specially- made for me
by licenseplates.tv in Florida several years ago.  It's a 1966 NC plate in
the correct colors and stamping, except that it has the personalized letters
TARHEELY.  NC didn't have personalized plates in 1966.  The plate has been
on my BJ8 since January 2009 and hasn't been questioned yet.  The car is
officially-registered with an antique plate for tax purposes, but I keep the
plate under the driver's seat as directed by the DMV.

California seems to go out of its way to complicate things.  One would think
that if it works for NC it should also work for CA.

Merry Christmas and Happy Healey New Year to All!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of robert westcott
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 4:25 PM
To: Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: California Retro License Plates

Merry Christmas,

Rob
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 11:11:56 -0500 (EST)

Kentucky law reads
"(5) Historic vehicles may display an authentic Kentucky license plate,
twenty-five (25) years or older, or a reproduction of such a plate, if the
historic motor vehicle plate and the registration receipt are kept in the
vehicle at all times."

I also use reproduction plates from licenseplates.tv.

I keep the original Historic Plate in a zip lock bag next to the battery with
a copy of the law just in case I am ever questioned.

Jim Werner

Louisville, KY

-----Original Message-----

Merry Christmas,

Rob
$12.75

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: F Ronald Rader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:36:14 -0800

> California seems to go out of its way to complicate things.

YUP - PRETTY MUCH

> One would think that if it works for NC it should also work for CA.
> THAT WOULD BE WAY TOO EASY!!!
>
> ron

[email-masked]