Subject: [Healeys] California Retro License Plates

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:33:37 -0600 (CST)

Team,

There was an article in the Sacramento Bee Friday about a law that goes into effect Jan 1 allowing car owners to apply for retro plates for $50. The catch is that 7,500 requests have to be made for each type of plate before they will begin printing them (see link below).

Regards
Phil

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/21/5069091/back-seat-driver-dmv-to-produce.html

On 12/23/12, Bert Van Brande<[email-masked]> wrote:
 
Hi,

Santa came early this year, I must have been a good boy. ;-) Yesterday
i picked up my "Healey" (my short for 1956 Austin-Healey 100 BN2) from the
painter. The car had been there for 9 months and the results are amazing.
 Bodywork is fantastic and straight, gaps are perfect and the Reno red over
black looks great. Reno red is dark enough to my taste while not being
burgundy and looking ever so slightly less saturated at this "intensity", a
very 50's look indeed. I am still living in soCal and working in Dallas,
Texas, so this is quite a challenge but I plan to finish the car in the next
3-6 months. What's left to do: interior, seats, windshield, headlights,
driving lights, taillights, indicators, install woodrim steering wheel and
hornpush, armacord in trunk, chrome-work and a myriad of details. All
mechanical and bodywork is done, it's only been 7.5 years since dismantling
started in my garage.

Big thanks to Charlie Hart for his help and his
fantastic car trailer. And big thanks to all contributors to this list, you
are an awesome gang with an amazing Healey knowledge base, I've not been
active here for a while with the whole work situation. A special thanks in
memory of Rich Chrysler who always took the time to guide me like a true
mentor and special thanks to Curt Arndt who is always ready with help and
advice with great enthusiasm.

Some pics at: http://db.tt/5fFtthG1

The red
is a bit darker in real life, modern digital sensors seem to picture the red
too bright. The painter had put out a bucket and the white bottle with polish
to show off that you can read the labels off the reflection in the black. A
true artist! A bit of movie trivia: The service station the car rolls out
from was used in the movies "Next" with Nicholas Cage and the recent "Race to
Witch Mountain".

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year,

Bert
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Robert Blair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 09:46:37 -0800 (PST)

John, California allows retro refitting of plates - 1963-1969 yellow on
black.  I believe they also allow earlier black on yellow for the AH100
years..
 
Very easy to execute - did mine [SYS900] on 1965BJ8 in half an hour at DMV.
 
Buy a [decent] used plate set on ebay where the plate number is NOT ON THE DMV
COMPUTER any longer.  Ideally with the year sticker still present.  If not
present buy a used sticker on ebay.  [I bought a yellow on black 1963-1969 two
plate set with a 1965 sticker still attached].  They will not accept
reproduction plates - apparently.
 
Then go to DMV and fill out a one page form.  Hand in your current plates. 
Wait for them to do their thing.  Pay the fee.  Go home and put your retro
plates on the car and wait for the new stickers to arrive in the mail.

Easier than I expected.

Robert N. Blair
  Yellow 65BJ8
  [email-masked]

--- On Sun, 12/23/12, Len and/or Marge Hartnett <[email-masked]>
wrote:

From: Len and/or Marge Hartnett <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: California Retro License Plates
To: "AH Mail List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sunday, December 23, 2012, 5:44 PM

John:  I am sure that original plates are allowed in California.  I believe
that I have provided the reference in the California Vehicle Code in previous
e-mails.  There is a gentleman that shows up at local swap meets with lots of
them.  The problem is that they must be original plates along with any (metal)
"year" tags that were applicable.  The article in the Sacramento Bee that was
mentioned also noted that "..The law was pushed by car club members who wanted
vintage plates on their vintage cars - and have been victimized in the past by
unscrupulous people claiming to sell them real vintage plates, only to
discover they were forgeries...".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
To: "Healey List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:19 PM
Subject: [Healeys] FW: California Retro License Plates

> Some states allow a car owner to use original plates for the year of
> manufacture if you can find them and if the number is not currently being
> used. > John Sims, BN6
> Aberdeen, NJ....
>
> www.healey6.com

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]