Subject: [Healeys] Fuel Pump

From: R. Price Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:27:30 -0600

Listers -

First I would like to thank Bob Spidell and Bob Haskell for all of the help
they have given me over the past few days while I struggle to make my positive
earth fuel pump polarity neutral (so you know, there was a band on it stating
"Positive Earth Only."

My intention was to install a transil and do away with the diode (supposed to
accomplish neutrality per the list).  I am now at the point where the unit
works very well only with a positive earth diode installed, i.e. with or
without a transil.    If I install only the transil and don't use the diode,
the points on the pump open once and stay open (does not run).   Everyone
seems to agree that this is unusual and the pump should work fine with either
the transil or the diode, but it doesn't.

I currently have both the transil and the diode installed.

Now my questions:
Is there any value in this configuration, i.e. they both suppress spark, I'm
told; is that a good thing?
While the pump runs on the bench grounded either positive or negative, is it
really polarity neutral configured as above?
If I change the polarity of the car sometime in the future to negative ground,
keep the configuration as is, will the pump run for a while but then fail?

Thank you so much for any light you can shed on this.

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys