Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 on eBay

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:46:13 -0800

Listers,

While at  first blush this car looks very nice, I too have some big issues
with this car.  Unless the color in the photos is way off, the car appears
to be painted in "Gunmetal Grey" however it's listed as Healey Grey which
is NOT grey, just Healey Blue in a non-metallic finish.  So in my opinion,
a completely incorrect color.  Plus if it were Gunmetal Grey, the interior
should be red, "Scarlet" to be specific, and not blue.

Plus everything that Mike Salter has already stated...

The bonnet appears to be a modern replacement aluminum one with the frame
lightened.  I believe the various vendors have, and may still be selling
these.

Chrome 48 spoke wire wheels are an accepted option in Concours for the
100s.  Yes I know of several early 100s delivered with them.

The fan is merely a modern nylon one substituted for the original aluminum
one (with rounded tips).

Coil is a period replacement Lucas Sport Coil, albeit from a few years
later (BN2) but still from a 100.

The copper fuel line manifold between the carbs should be dull zinc plated
and not polished copper.  Why do restorers still insist in doing this?

And I totally agree with this statement...

*"I don't want to appear to be overly picky but at the asking price of  ***#
*97,500 ($US156,000) I would expect the car to be correct!*"

Cheers,

Curt
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 18:34:03 -0500

I agree with everything that has been said about this car however, with all
the yahoos out there who have a lot of spending money and are not aware of
what a Healey (or any other collector car for that matter) should look like,
it is likely to go for the asking price. The buyer then will have a non
correct car and will have problems if he tries to sell it to another
Healeyite but will probably find another ignorant yahoo with more money than
brains and the beat goes on.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Curtis Arndt
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 12:46 PM
To: Michael Salter
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 on eBay

Listers,

While at  first blush this car looks very nice, I too have some big issues
with this car.  Unless the color in the photos is way off, the car appears
to be painted in "Gunmetal Grey" however it's listed as Healey Grey which is
NOT grey, just Healey Blue in a non-metallic finish.  So in my opinion, a
completely incorrect color.  Plus if it were Gunmetal Grey, the interior
should be red, "Scarlet" to be specific, and not blue.

Chrome 48 spoke wire wheels are an accepted option in Concours for the 100s.
Yes I know of several early 100s delivered with them.

Coil is a period replacement Lucas Sport Coil, albeit from a few years later
(BN2) but still from a 100.

Cheers,

Curt
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: F Ronald Rader <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:45:27 -0800

and the problem with that is?
ron

[email-masked]

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 20:03:36 -0800

Wrong? No.  Just the price of ignorance.

-Roland

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:45:27 -0800, you wrote:

::and the problem with that is?
::ron
::
::On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM, John Sims <[email-masked]> wrote:
::>
::> I agree with everything that has been said about this car however, with
all
::> the yahoos out there who have a lot of spending money and are not aware
of
::> what a Healey (or any other collector car for that matter) should look
like,
::> it is likely to go for the asking price. The buyer then will have a non
::> correct car and will have problems if he tries to sell it to another
::> Healeyite but will probably find another ignorant yahoo with more money
than
::> brains and the beat goes on.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: David Nock British Car Specialists <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:32:23 -0800

So why does a car have to be as original to being top dollar, what can't it
have some good quality upgrades to make a safer and some better driving car.
Kurt Tanner as well as several others are sending cars to the auctions and
getting top dollar for non original cars.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
Stockton Ca 95205
209-948-8767

www.britishcarspecialists.com

Please feel free to view an interview with the Nock's in 2009
	Enjoy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTTRYkbQzs
.
.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:58:46 -0800

David,

Very simply, in my opinion, because the seller is asking over $155 USD for
a car (just a BN1 for that matter) that is listed as Healey Grey
(non-metallic light blue) and appears in fact to be painted Gunmetal Grey,
while claiming it's painted and trimmed in the original color combinations!

For that amount of money the paint needs to be correct.  To correctly
repaint the car is an expensive proposition.  Heck for that amount of money
buy a correct Concours factory 100M and get your money's worth.

All the other nitnoid things are easily fixed.

Curt

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM, David Nock British Car Specialists <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> So why does a car have to be as original to being top dollar, what can't
> it have some good quality upgrades to make a safer and some better driving
> car. Kurt Tanner as well as several others are sending cars to the auctions
> and getting top dollar for non original cars.
>
> David Nock
>
> British Car Specialists
>
> Stockton Ca 95205
>
> 209-948-8767
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "E.A. Driver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 14:12:48 -0600

Curt

$155 USD, Canadian slightly less, is a great price;-)
Cheers
Ed

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 15:47:04 -0500

David,
Your question is very valid and although I can appreciate Curts opinion I
dont think the real issue that you are raising has been addressed.

As I understand it you are saying that if it is a nicely done car it may be
worth the asking price even though it may not be original.

IMHO this goes back to the very core of our hobby and for that matter any
collector hobby.

With reproduction techniques being what they are today one could,
conceivably, make a perfect copy of the Mona Lisa so why is that copy not
worth what the original is worth well, obviously, because it is not the
original.

Collectors demand originality because that is really the only standard
there is that makes an original worth a lot of money but, that said,
anything is worth what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.

Put another way If the vendor of this car can find someone to buy it for
#97,500 then one cannot argue that the car is not worth #97,500.

Michael Salter

--
Michael Salter

                         *I have BJ8 water pump kits!!*
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Jose Vicente Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 18:32:40 -0500

Please send me the link to ebay. I cannot find the car

Sent from my iPad

>>> and getting top dollar for non original cars.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 15:39:40 -0800

Listers,

If anyone is interested, I sent the owner/seller of the car in the
Netherlands photos of early BN1s in both Gunmetal Grey versus Healey Grey.
The difference is obvious.

Curt

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I do not think the issue is how much the car is worth or even if it is
> original or not. I think it is whether or not the description of the car is
> accurate or not. For example, If the seller is describing the color of the
> exterior & interior as original when it is not then that is misleading
> potential buyers & that is dishonest & the truth may have an impact on the
> actual worth of the car.
> Gary Hodson

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 18:01:40 -0600

<< Please send me the link to ebay. I cannot find the car >>

Here you go, Jose !

http://www.team.net/mharc/archives/html/healeys/2012-12/index.html
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: F Ronald Rader <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 17:27:04 -0800

EXACTLY MY POINT!!
RON

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM, David Nock British Car Specialists
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> it

[email-masked]