Subject: Re: [Healeys] Paint Code Colors

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:07:21 -0500

ICI 2301M

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jonas Payne
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Paint Code Colors

Anybody have the correct codes for "healey ice blue metallic" as appropriate
for a 1964 BJ8?

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711
_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:21:35 -0500

I'm not sure the original BMC ICI codes are useful anymore for mixing modern
paints.  Here is some information I have collected concerning paint
formulas.  The specific formulas are unique to a given brand of paint, as I
understand.

http://www.jule-enterprises.com/resources/paint-colours-formulas

>From Rich Chrysler, for Healey Blue:
"This was originally a Sherwin Williams U7-5214 basecoat formula that has
been changed to reflect metallic size and colour":

Silver    7006    (pint) 387.5    (quart) 775.0      (gallon) 3099.9
Black     7081    (pint) 395.2    (quart) 790.5      (gallon) 3161.9
Blue      7280    (pint) 410.7    (quart) 821.5      (gallon) 3285.9
White     7282    (pint) 423.5    (quart) 847.1      (gallon) 3388.2
Red       7284    (pint) 435.2    (quart) 870.3      (gallon) 3481.2
Green     7138    (pint) 446.7    (quart) 893.4      (gallon) 3573.6

Your painter should be able to interpret the numbers.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USa 

-----Original Message-----

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:51:33 -0500

My earlier response was information from the Pikovnik book which was
copywrited in 1998 and published in 1999. I am not an expert in paint but
would the formula change from year to year? I am very familiar with PMS
coding for standard printing colors and paints used for signs and do know
that the same PMS numbers were used and given to a veritible plethora of
sign makers for my company's logos, signs, etc. in the 30 or so years that I
was involved in standardization.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of BJ8 Healeys
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Paint Code Colors

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USa 

-----Original Message-----

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:02:37 -0800

17060 ppg is what I used.
Photo attached for Jonas.

Ira Erbs
IT Consultant.
Portland, OR

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of 1309224499-picsay.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:08:13 -0500

I'm not an expert in paint, either, but it is my understanding based on what
I have heard that the ICI numbers have not been useful to people who wanted
to mix paint to a particular color, as opposed to picking a color from an
existing color chip.  What is actually used by painters for the mix is a
"formula" for a particular brand of paint that specifies X number of grams
of pigment A, Y number of grams of pigment B, etc. added to a base color.
That's why the formula varies depending on the brand of paint.  With
computer matching now, scanning a valid sample to be matched produces a
printout of the "formula" to achieve the match, but it's based on pigments
produced by a particular manufacturer.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.  If I were looking for a
"correct" Healey Blue, I think I would at least start with Rich Chrysler's
numbers.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC

-----Original Message-----
From: John Sims [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:52 PM
To: 'BJ8 Healeys'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Paint Code Colors

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ
www.healey6.com

[email-masked]