Subject: Re: [Healeys] Smith's Temp Gauge

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 10:26:29 +0100

There is not much you can do. There is a small U shaped connecting part 
between the bourdon spring and the mechanism for the needle, this can be 
opened up or closed a bit, but you have to dismantle the gauge to get at 
it which is awkward with the capillary tube in the way. It is also very 
fragile.
More practical is to remove the bezel and glass and lift the needle with 
two small screwdrivers used as levers resting on the rim, heat up the 
capsule in boiling water and refit the needle in the position of the 
temperature at boiling point, i.e. 100C/212F at sea level. If you are at 
a significant higher altitude recalculate the corresponding boiling 
temperature of water and set the needle accordingly.
However if the gauge reads around the proper temperature, say 15% at 
boiling point, checked with a laboratory mercury thermometer 
_/*hanging*/_ in the water, leave things well alone. The automotive 
capillary gauges, or any automotive gauges for that matter, are not 
known for their accuracy and often need a tap before the needle settles.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 30-12-2012 7:14, Bob Spidell schreef:
> Anyone got info on how to calibrate the Smiths temp gauge?  I know 
> about immersing in boiling water, etc., but I think there might be a 
> couple screws or a wire to bend or something.
>
> Bob
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:01:11 +0100

Sorry Bob, I made a typing error, 15% deviation is a bit much. It should 
have read 5%.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 30-12-2012 10:26, Oudesluys schreef:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2013.0.2805 / Virusdatabase: 2637/5995 - datum van uitgifte: 12/29/12

[email-masked]