Subject: [Healeys] Chromed parts

From: "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:05:33 +1000

Gbday again

Ibve been reading the wisdom on chrome plated suspension parts. The general
consensus is bdonbtb. Trouble is, I have some chrome plated steering
arms and drag links that I would like to use (they were on some sort of
display set up) Apparently the problem is bhydrogen embrittlementb caused
by the plating process. Question: does the problem remain if the chrome is
removed either mechanically or chemically?

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz

PS If all the punctuation in the above has been converted to nonsense, I
apologise. Mark b whatbs the solution?
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:17:57 -0500

Peter, embrittlement occurs to high strength steels when the hydrogen atoms
in the acid solution used in the chroming bath migrate into the crystal
structure of the metal.  If the parts are properly baked according to a
specific time-temperature profile within about 4 hours after chrome plating,
embrittlement is reduced or eliminated.  If the suspension parts were not so
treated after chrome plating, then removing the plating does not affect the
embrittlement.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Peter & Veronica
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Chromed parts

Gbday again

Ibve been reading the wisdom on chrome plated suspension parts. The general
consensus is bdonbtb. Trouble is, I have some chrome plated steering arms
and drag links that I would like to use (they were on some sort of display
set up) Apparently the problem is bhydrogen embrittlementb caused by the
plating process. Question: does the problem remain if the chrome is removed
either mechanically or chemically?

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz

[email-masked]