Subject: [Healeys] BN1 steering

From: "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:29:43 +1000

Gbday all

Herebs a sad tale! Ibve been trying to put together steering for my
100-based Ausca track car. I had a dismantled steering box (RHD) that came
with my V6 100, but in that the worm has surface rust and some pitting, and
someone has (presumably) cut 2 rocker shafts in half and welded the 2 good
bits together about half way up (the weld isnbt even dressed!) So thatbs
not on. I bought another steering box with the hope of getting a decent rocker
shaft b in this one the top of the column has been messed with so therebs
no splines, but I though the rocker shaft would be OK b no such luck! In
this one, the peg has been welded solidly into the rocker shaft and roughly
ground to shape. In the bin! Just today I bought an A70 steering box and
column. Beautiful unworn condition, only apparent issue is itbs about 1/2b
longer than the Healey one. Thatbs the good news. Bad news is, itbs
effectively LHD! Although itbs from a RHD sedan, I figure the steering set
up must be different on the sedans, with the steering drop arms pointing to
the rear of the car so that everything works in reverse. Has anyone else
figured this? Is it the same with A90s? (Alan?)

Cheers in frustration

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 08:59:35 +0000

Peter

You are right, the Left Hand steering box on an A70 is very similar to 
the Right Hand box on a BN1 100 and vice versa. Obviously the idler also 
swops over. The swopped idles are the same but the boxes are different. 
The length of the vertical section and the drop arm inside are longer on 
the A70. It might be possible to shorten both but you are then into 
tapered spline cutting and this has to be accurately aligned to allow 
full steering lock to lock angles. The alternative is to mount the box 
higher but here you will need to cut a new groove around the vertical 
part. This is to allow the long mounting bolt to fit thought the main 
mounting clamp.

There is a similar situation between A90 Westminster etc. and BN2 onward 
big Healeys but one should not try to mix and match earlier and later 
types because steering geometry would then be inaccurate.

Regards
>Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
>[email-masked]
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
John Harper

[email-masked]