Subject: [Healeys] BN1 on the road again but problems with jumping out of second gear

From: Noel and Helen standfast <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:27:39 +1000

Hi listers

this week we registered our BN1 after a two year restoration and it's 
great to be in a big Healey again.  The car had been sitting in pieces 
in Brisbane since 1977 and without the help of fellow Queensland Healey 
Club  members and members of this list, it would still be that way.  
We've had a few six cylinder Healeys over the years but this is our 
first 100 and I'm surprised what a pleasantly different driving 
experience the four is.  Still a long list of things to finish and bugs 
to sort out as usual but generally all systems work as they should.  
Only disappointment is despite having the standard three speed gearbox 
reconditioned it jumps out of second gear on the over-run, I'm told this 
is a common problem with the BN1s.  I note the manual mentions the 
selector forks/spring as the likely problem, is this where I should 
start and can it be fixed with the box in place?

thanks

Noel S
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:59:34 -0700

Noel,
 No it has to come out. My experience with the early box has shown that
issue to be with excessive thrust clearance. There are 2 thrust washers,
rather than Bellville washers. They are not easy to come by in all sizes and
it may be that a new original will do the job.
Dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Noel and Helen standfast
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 4:28 AM
To: Healeys list
Subject: [Healeys] BN1 on the road again but problems with jumping out of
second gear

Hi listers

thanks

Noel S

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]