Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hole cutting

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:21:36 -0700

A jewelers saw works very well. Finish edges with the drum sander as Steve
suggested.
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Steve Gerow
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 7:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hole cutting

By hand method: draw the holes as you want them with a compass on a piece of
paper. Glue the paper to the dash with contact cement or spray glue.

Take a small drill and drill a series of holes inside of the circles as
close together as you can get them. Maybe a 3/32" drill with 1/16" between
the holes. Take wire cutters and cut the gaps between the holes, removing
the nasty, jagged center disc which looks like a ninja throwing star.

Take a half round file or "barrel" sanding drum and file/sand the openings
outward until the instruments fit.

Peter Linn wrote:

. Anyone got any ideas for
making a neat job of this?

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:02:23 -0800

Peter,

The method below works well. However, you can use a larger drill bit, 
say 3/16" if you move the bit center point an appropriate distance 
away from the desired finished inside diameter. After drilling a 
series of 3/16" holes, change the bit to a 1/4" bit and carefully 
re-drill the holes. This will do most of the cutting and you will 
then need to file. I just made the large steel lock washer on the 
front of the transmission bearing using this method.

John

[email-masked]