Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Transmission Rebuild

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 08:06:33 -0800

To those that answered - thanks - yes there are in fact two relieved teeth
on the mainshaft approximately 90 degrees apart that should correspond with
the plunger locations on the hub.  This condition is pretty typical on lots
of transmissions, it wasn't noted in my manual so I absolutely wasn't
looking for it.  

I would have hoped that I'd have enough common sense to look for it after
handling the plungers in the 1st place.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Per Schoerner
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2012 4:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Transmission Rebuild

Jonas, Michael
The BJ8 gearbox I have on the bench right now have two plungers in the 3/4th
hub. This is a very late (1967) BJ8 though. If you have disassembled the
hub, you have to be very observant when assembling it again, there is only
ONE way that the parts fit together.

Per

Michael Salter skrev 2012-12-31 18:59:
>> From memory the 3/4th hub on the BJ8 box is different from the 
>> earlier ones
> in that it has an extra plunger which must be aligned correctly with 
> the 3rd motion shaft groove..
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 23:18:48 +0100

Jonas
As David Nock pointed out there are cutouts in the splines on the outer 
ring that corresponds to the positions of the plungers. If you didn't 
take the hub apart you can ignore this. But if you did take it apart, 
you must check that it has been put together correctly. Remember there 
is ONLY ONE way, although at first glance it looks like it doesn't 
matter which way you put on the outer ring because it is symmetric. On 
the older boxes it doesn't matter, they have no plungers.

Per

[email-masked]