Subject: [Healeys] Hole cutting

From: "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:26:48 +1000

G'day list

I'm currently making the dashboard for my 100 based Ausca race car. I'm using
the Alfa instruments that came from the same sedan from which I sourced the
1750 motor. The tach and speed are 130mm Veglia instruments, the oil pressure
and water temperature 50mm. I can cut the holes for the smaller gauges with a
hole saw (I'm using 1.6mm aluminium) but the holes for the bigger gauges are a
bit of a problem. I have a scroll saw, but I find the blades aren't really up
to metal. Likewise I have a jigsaw that will handle the aluminium, but the
blades are a bit wide for the arc of these holes. Anyone got any ideas for
making a neat job of this?

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz
BN1 Ward Spl coupe
BN1 Holden V6
BN1 Ausca Alfa
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 06:13:15 -0800

By hand method: draw the holes as you want them with a compass on a piece of
paper. Glue the paper to the dash with contact cement or spray glue.

Take a small drill and drill a series of holes inside of the circles as
close together as you can get them. Maybe a 3/32" drill with 1/16" between
the holes. Take wire cutters and cut the gaps between the holes, removing
the nasty, jagged center disc which looks like a ninja throwing star.

Take a half round file or "barrel" sanding drum and file/sand the openings
outward until the instruments fit.

Peter Linn wrote:

. Anyone got any ideas for
making a neat job of this?

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

[email-masked]