Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing light electrical

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 19:29:27 -0800

re: "I presume ground attaches to the frame"

Yup.  Connect to something unpainted, like one of the P-clips on the wiring harness.   I always use the big terminal on 
the starter solenoid--the one that connects to the battery--for a power source.  Don't let the clip contact the chassis 
anywhere.

Also, if your timing light has a metal case it's probably 'hot;' i.e. if it touches the chassis you'll spark (unless you 
have a special, 'positive ground timing light,' which I've never seen nor heard of).  Either be very careful or wrap the 
case with electrical tape, or both.

Bob

On 1/2/2013 7:18 PM, john spaur wrote:
> I have an inductive timing light. The car is positive ground. I presume ground attaches to the frame. What point in 
> the engine compartment would be good to connect the negative voltage lead too? Would terminal A1 be good?
>
> It has been a long time since I used one.
>
> John Spaur
> Electrically challenged
>
>

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 19:30:57 -0800

Found this:

http://www.mossmotoring.com/induction-timing-lights-positive-ground-cars/

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 12:18:52 +0800

Just attach it to the solenoid terminals.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Found this:
>
> http://www.mossmotoring.com/**induction-timing-lights-**
> positive-ground-cars/<http://www.mossmotoring.com/induction-timing-lights-positive-ground-cars/>
>
>
>
>> I have an inductive timing light. The car is positive ground. I presume
>> ground attaches to the frame. What point in the engine compartment would be
>> good to connect the negative voltage lead too? Would terminal A1 be good?
>>
> ***********************************************************************
> ***********************************************************************
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/healey.nut@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: "Richard McGavern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 09:57:20 -0500

I power my timing light with my battery charger, no confusion on polarity or
chance to ground out.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:29 PM
To: john spaur
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing light electrical

Yup.  Connect to something unpainted, like one of the P-clips on the wiring
harness.   I always use the big terminal on 
the starter solenoid--the one that connects to the battery--for a power
source.  Don't let the clip contact the chassis anywhere.

Also, if your timing light has a metal case it's probably 'hot;' i.e. if it
touches the chassis you'll spark (unless you have a special, 'positive
ground timing light,' which I've never seen nor heard of).  Either be very
careful or wrap the case with electrical tape, or both.

Bob

On 1/2/2013 7:18 PM, john spaur wrote:
> I have an inductive timing light. The car is positive ground. I 
> presume ground attaches to the frame. What point in the engine compartment
would be good to connect the negative voltage lead too? Would terminal A1 be
good?

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2805 / Virus Database: 2637/5979 - Release Date: 12/22/12
Internal Virus Database is out of date.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 15:30:15 -0000

I use a small 12v battery from a clapped out ride on lawn mower. When the
engine seized for the last time, its new battery was the only thing worth
keeping!
Or the little charger that came with my new mower..
Or the little trickle charger/conditioner that I use on the Healey during
the winter....
Or, what I used to do, a cable to the back of the car with colour coded
crocodile clips that go straight onto the battery... 

I'd guess that most of our garages could yield some similar solution.....

Simon

Simon

[email-masked]