Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine Bearings

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:19:26 +0100

Many thanks to all responded. I already bought the trimetal
King/County bearings and after a short chat with my machine shop I am
confident the bearings are ok. Also Ahead4Healeys and AH Spares sell
them, so they should be alright. 

	My machine shop also mentioned they measured the bearing diameters as
they also have their experience with County bearings and grinding the
crank journals according to the bearing diameters. 

	Otherwise they also see no reason not to go with them. 

	So thanks to all, I am now relieved and go forward with the bearings
I have.   Josef Eckert Konigswinter/GermanyAn:
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Forum Healeys <[email-masked]>
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Engine Bearings
Datum: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:45:16 +0100

 I am using ACL mains and King trimetal big ends and so far nothing
has exploded after a few hours dyno running. The colour of the
bearings is an indicator of whether the Kings are bi or tri metal-
dull grey as opposed to light aluminium colour for the bi-metal from
memory.

The King bearings had quite a number of small lumps on both the back
and front faces which I gently scraped off and smoothed with 1500 grit
sandpaper before installation. The ACL's went straight in.

More important than the manufacture of the bearing is the clearance
and I'd strongly recommend determining the installed bearing diameters
before grinding the crank. Mine were all on the bigger side of ok so
the crank journals are ground between 0.06 and 1.00 thou bigger than
the max book spec to compensate.

Andy.

> Received: Wednesday, 16 January, 2013, 7:07 PM
> I think the ones from county are fine
> as long as they are tri-metal.  If
> they are tin bearings then that's when they are a bit
> suspect.
> 
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM, [email-masked] [1]
> <
> [email-masked] [2]>
> wrote:
> 
> > For my 3000 MK2 engine I need new engine bearings, main
> and big ends,
> > both +10" oversize. There was no chance to get any
> Vandervell,
> > Glazier, AE, or similar known quality bearings. It
> seems only
> > available are County/KIng bearing shells. Those who did
> an engine
> > overhaul recently, what kind of bearings have you
> used?

Links:
------
[1] javascript:void(0)
[2] javascript:void(0)
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:27:26 +0800

Josef -

If you can believe it, a set of vandervel bearings +.10 just showed up on EBay
today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-Healey-100-6-3000-Vandervell-Main-Bearings-VP7
71-010-NOS-/400390350480?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Alan

On Jan 16, 2013, at 9:19 PM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]