Subject: Re: [Healeys] paints

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:20:43 -0500 (EST)

So far most of the comments have been in favor of single stage because it
looks more like the original paint or is cheaper. At Conclave for instance, I
am not sure I can distinguish between cars painted with a single stage paint &
ones painted with a base coat/clear coat system. I can identify cars with
excellent paint jobs from ones with lower quality paint jobs, but that is
something completely different. An anecdotal or is it an empirical example: A
friend in our local Healey club has been telling us for years that his car was
painted with a single stage paint. It is a high quality paint job. We all
thought the paint looked "original". After a recent accident, the body shop
told him that his car had a base coat/clear coat paint job. The owner was as
surprised as the rest of us. The shop was able to match the paint
(non-metallic) exactly & we cannot tell which panels have been repainted &
which have not.

Not much about hardness/chip resistance. Recently, I saw a frame being painted
black with Dupont Imron which I read is a polyester enamel, what ever that is.
It looked beautiful. I was told it was chosen because it is very hard/chip
resistant. Comments?
Thanks,
Gary
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:19:49 -0800

There is probably more to hardness and chip resistance that just the 
type of paint. When Healey's were factory painted I would presume the 
paint was applied over primed metal with very little, if any, bondo 
or whatever product they used to smooth over minor dings. Most likely lead.

The restorers that I am familiar with want to coat the metal with a 
polyester product similar to bondo. I think that material is very 
soft. So the material under the paint can affect overall hardness of 
the finish.

John

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:42:14 -0500 (EST)

Gary
I used to use Imron in the late 70's/ early 80's and can say that my
experiences where not that good. Product produces a very smooth, hard finish
but you can't do anything to it should there be any flaws in the paint. Forget
minor repairs for runs or chips. Paint strippers hardly touch the stuff.
Couple that to some of the worst paint fumes that could be generated at the
time, I swore off using it.  Boat repair shops liked using Imron on hulls but
I'm not sure that is still the case.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: warthodson <[email-masked]>

I saw a frame being painted black with Dupont Imron which I read is a
polyester enamel, what ever that is.
t looked beautiful. I was told it was chosen because it is very hard/chip
esistant. Comments?
hanks,
ary
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 07:32:31 -0700

Perry,
 I disagree. I've been using Imron for the last 40 years. Repairs are
possible and it can be buffed out as the new base/clear blends. It can be
removed with strippers. Problem now is that DuPont is shrinking many of the
Imron blends and reformulating with new toners and catalysis's, so most of
my stock is becoming obsolete.. so thousands of bucks down the drain..
sigh.. Imron is a urethane (plastic like, in essence).
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] paints - Imron

Gary
I used to use Imron in the late 70's/ early 80's and can say that my
experiences where not that good. Product produces a very smooth, hard finish
but you can't do anything to it should there be any flaws in the paint.
Forget
minor repairs for runs or chips. Paint strippers hardly touch the stuff.
Couple that to some of the worst paint fumes that could be generated at the
time, I swore off using it.  Boat repair shops liked using Imron on hulls
but
I'm not sure that is still the case.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:27:51 -0500

Many boat shops use Imron on hulls (topsides) and Awlgrip on houses and
decks (superstructure) because the latter areas are more likely to require
patching, etc. and Awlgrip is more easily repaired.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM, David Porter <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]