Subject: [Healeys] Rear brake cylinders

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:05:34 -0000

Hi,

I've been immersed(?) in a project recently to upgrade my MkII's brakes.
(Seemingly immersed in brake fluid sometimes too; there's always a couple
more drips which will get you every time).

Anyhow, I've - hopefully - finished at the front and - almost - at the rear.
Had the customary battle taking those ghastly little sliding plates off the
drums' backplates and rebuilt the cylinders, replaced the plates and seals
etc. Question:- the cylinder sits in a slot which is long enough to allow it
to slide up and down. Hence the white grease to facilitate this. Both
cylinders will slide, but one needs some force to make it move. (Nothing
much, but it won't move if one simply pushes. A little tap will do it.) So,
how readily should it slide? It's not meant to slide all the time....just to
take up the slack as the shoes wear. However, I can't put the project to bed
until it's right.......

Something to think about. One spring on each side showed considerable signs
of wear in the middle. One was almost half worn away. I can't see failure
there as being too serious, but worth a thought when one's in the area?

Simon.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys