Subject: Re: [Healeys] Moss Motors brake master cyl. rebuild kit

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:38:29 -0500

Thanks to all who have responded so far.  Several of you recommended
installing the boot from inside the car after the cylinder is inserted through
the hole.   Ibm not the sharpest blade in the toolbox, but I did think of
that.  However, given the problem I had installing the boot with the cylinder
clamped in a vise b using two hands and a screwdriver to pry the lip of the
boot over the neck of the cylinder while holding it to prevent it from coming
off on the other side b I donbt think I can do it from inside the car.
The mismatch in diameters is too great and the rubber too stiff.  It would be
easier to grind the hole larger, but I donbt want to do that before hearing
from more folks who have actually done this job recently with a Moss kit, or
from Moss what they think of the issue.  Ibm still waiting for their call
back.

The boot I removed from the cylinder was stamped bGirlingb, and it is much
thinner and more flexible than the new Moss boot (bMade in Englandb).   I
rebuilt the brake master in September 1992, and at that time Moss provided the
rebuild kit including the Girling boot.

By the way, there was no corrosion or pitting at all in the cylinder bores of
either the brake or clutch master.  Slick as ice.  Thanks, Silicone Fluid.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:41:40 -0600

Steve, is the old boot in good shape? the boot's job isn't quite as critical 
as the internal seals, if the new boot is the only problem....

--------------------------------------------------
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:38 PM
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Moss Motors brake master cyl. rebuild kit

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:02:48 -0500

Well, it was 21 years old and had a small split on the cylinder end, with
others obviously in the making in the bellows.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:42 PM
To: BJ8 Healeys; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Moss Motors brake master cyl. rebuild kit

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 16:44:07 +0800

Try boiling the rubber and then installing it while it's still warm.  It
should make it easier.  If it's a little wet, that should be ok to help get
it on, although it may cause a bit of surface corrosion.  if you have some
Girling rubber grease in an old packet, it's good to use that to help get
the boot on.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:38 AM, BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> the hole.   Ib m not the sharpest blade in the toolbox, but I did think of
> off on the other side b  I donb t think I can do it from inside the car.
> easier to grind the hole larger, but I donb t want to do that before
> hearing
> from Moss what they think of the issue.  Ib m still waiting for their call
> back.
>
> The boot I removed from the cylinder was stamped b Girlingb , and it is
> much
> thinner and more flexible than the new Moss boot (b Made in Englandb ).   I
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]