Subject: [Healeys] Transmission Tunnel Carpet

From: "Peter Svilans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:06:30 -0500

Hi Charlie,

Derek is correct in that there are no screws from the tunnel flange to the
vertical bulkhead.  This is true of the majority of the metal tunnels which
have just a single narrow flange at the front of the tunnel.

But if yours is a late sideshift, around the time of the cranked shift lever,
the factory did make an effort to improve the tunnel seal.  Late sideshift
transmission covers had a much wider double-bend flange at the front, about
2", and I'm pretty sure these wide flanges had screws going into the vertical
bulkhead. Its not documented in the Parts List, though.

Front flanges were covered on both sides with a 3" vinyl strip matching the
carpet colour folded over the edge.  The jute insulation and carpet butted up
against the vertical flange so that some of the vinyl edge could be seen
against the bulkhead. There was no attempt to "curl up" the carpet at the
front to cover the flange. If it was a wide flange tunnel, the three screws
just passed through the vinyl strip.

The rear tunnel flange had a black vinyl strip folded around the edge as well
as a thin felt sealing strip where it seated over top of the fixed tunnel.

The metal side flanges of the tunnel seat on top of the jute floor insulation
and were held down by four screws originally, but on many cars more screws
have been added over the years. The jute tunnel insulation, which was glued to
the carpet only at the middle top, came down the sides but didn't turn the
corner. The carpet did turn and made a horizontal edge of about 1.5" along the
fore-aft sides of the tunnel, which was overlapped generously by the floor
carpets.

Your dash top should be fitted before the windshield goes on. The roadsters
have machine screws for the mirror and tonneau cover peg, as well as
countersunk self tappers in cup washers on the extreme outer edges (impossible
to get at with the windshield in place) and for the turnbutton fasteners.
Don't forget to do the complex rubber cowl seal installation and edge piping
first.

Best regards
Peter
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys