Subject: Re: [Healeys] Felt sealing strips

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 00:42:46 +0100

OK, I have discussed the issue with Magnus Karlsson, and we came to the 
conclution that I have been given sealing strips for a 4 cylinder 
engine. The 4 cylinder engine uses strips that are approximately 10 mm 
diameter, while the 6 cylinder engine needs them to be some 7,5 mm. I 
ended up reusing my old ones.
Will take it up with the company I bought the gasket set from.

Per

Per Schoerner skrev 2013-01-15 00:21:
> Hi
> Have installed new main bearings. The two in the middle took a couple of
> minutes, but the front and rear took the best part of the day. The felt
> sealing strips were very difficult, and at some stage I almost gave up,
> felt tempted to reuse my old ones. The front seems OK now, but the rear
> still have some material from the strip squeezed between the block and
> the cap. Will have to redo that tomorrow.
> Does anyone have any good tips on how to do this? I seem to remember
> that these strips originally were made of cork, but even the workshop
> manual says to install new cork or felt strips.
>
> Per in Sweden
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 01:42:00 +0000

I have built many engines for racing. I do not use the round cork, or felt,
plugs that come with those gasket sets.  I use cotton string.  I take a large
nail,  16p I think, and grind off the sharp tip. I now have something to tamp
down the string as I feed it into the hole between the main caps and the
block. I use a small lightweight ball-pein hammer to tamp down the string.
When I have filled the hole with compacted string I use a dab of silicone to
seal the end and keep the wadding in place. It only takes a minute or so per
hole.  This has always worked well for me.

Richard Mayor
Portland, Oregon

gives a good seal and none of the headache associated with trying to use the
cylindrical era i beliebe 9pek alargest

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:21:28 +0100
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Healeys] Felt sealing strips
>
> Hi
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]