Subject: Re: [Healeys] waterless coolant

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:39:32 +0000 (UTC)

According to the MSDS the Evans coolant is about 70% ethylene glycol (standard antifreeze) and (presumably) about 28% propylene glycol (supposedly, a more environmentally friendly and less toxic but arguably less effective antifreeze), plus the usual lubricants and rust inhibitors. You could, conceivably, make your own. See: http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/all-you-wanted-know-about-evans-npg-msds-430247/ 

I like Wheeler Dealers but I think in this case Edd China was flat out shilling (I think he might be paid or otherwise have a stake in the product the way he pushed it). 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----

Waterless coolant will result in higher engine temperatures. The heat 
transfer at a given delta T is far less than with the usual coolant so 
you will end up with a quite higher delta T to effect the same heat 
transfer. The main advantage is a considerably higher boiling point. It 
is basically 100% anti freeze at a very inflated prize. Normal coolant 
is around 50% anti freeze and 50% distilled/de-mineralised water. 
Water is hard to beat regarding heat transfer but you need to add anti 
freeze for obvious reasons plus A.F. also contains corrosion inhibitors 
and lubricating agents to protect the system. 
If your engine is overheating there is something wrong with the cooling 
system or engine and waterless coolant will not solve this. 
Kees Oudesluijs 
NL 

Op 12-2-2013 16:19, TERRY COLL schreef: 
> Saw something called waterless coolant used on a TR6 last night on Wheeler 
> Dealers car show. Curious if anyone here has tried it and what the results 
> were? Opinions welcomed! Terry Coll '64 BJ8 
_______________________________________________ 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys