Subject: [Healeys] Generator brushes

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:42:14 -0000

This one keeps going round and round.

The generator on my MkII BT7 is a Lucas C45 PV6, which is what the books say
it should be.

It is stamped on the side:-

22530B            7          61

C45PV6            0          12V

So I guess it's July '61 which makes sense.

But, the brushes listed for it and which I bought on eBay were too small.
The supplier/retailer could not have been more helpful. He swears that he
spoke to his supplier/wholesaler twice and confirmed that the brushes in
question were correct for a C45.

Question:- did Lucas change the brush size at some stage?

Some info.:

The brushes that came out of my genny were:-

25mm wide, ?? deep & 6mm thick. (I cannot say how deep they were when new,
as now they are part worn!). My gauge is fairly basic so the dimensions are
not accurate to the nearest micrometricwhatever.

I bought eBay no 221164531614. Granted, it's quite a confusing entry.

It seems that I might do better with eBay no 310110209106.

However, I've had the genny out and put it back once and don't want to do it
again for another set that doesn't fit. So, any ideas?

I am told, by one of our most venerable gurus, that I can't just put in new
brushes ie that I have to completely refurbish it....lathes and God knows
what. Any comments on that?

Am very close to getting a Lucas ACR Type 17 alternator. Am already stalking
an old control box on eBay which I can use for the sake of appearances.

Thanks,

Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:06:46 +0000

Simon

There were two widths of brushes. The early ones were wide and the later
narrower. They went narrower when the maximum current rating was increased.
I believe that this change was indicated by the change PV5 to PV6.

If my memory serves me correctly the other dimensions did not change.

Regards

On 13 February 2013 14:42, Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Best wishes

John Harper

AHC UK 100 Register Secretary
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]