Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 and BN2 front fenders - check me on this please.

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:33:21 +0800

Very early BN1s had even more metal.  Too bad Rich isn't here to answer
this, but sometime in 53 or 54 they cut it back a bit,  then cut it further
with the BN2.  Maybe John Harper would know offhand.

Alan

On Thursday, February 28, 2013, wrote:

> I need to check something.  With the 100-4, there are the BN1 front
> fenders,
> and the BN2 front fenders.  The easiest (only?) way to tell them apart is
> to
> measure the distance from the top of the wheel opening to the top of the
> fender.  Here is the Austin Healey service note about it.
> http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/a421.jpg
> It notes that the measured distance for the BN1 is 9 1/2 inches, and 9
> inches
> for the BN2.  I would SWEAR it was 11 inches for the BN1 and 9 inches for
> the
> BN2.  I just seem to have this strongly in my memory.  Am I wrong?  I would
> assume that the Healey service note is correct, but, dang!  :)
>  - Paul B.
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:49:31 -0800

My relatively early BN1, body #724, measures about 9 3/16".  I don't
think any Hundreds had much tighter fits around the wheels.

-Roland

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:05:49 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

::I need to check something.  With the 100-4, there are the BN1 front
fenders,
::and the BN2 front fenders.  The easiest (only?) way to tell them apart is
to
::measure the distance from the top of the wheel opening to the top of the
::fender.  Here is the Austin Healey service note about it.
::http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/a421.jpg
::It notes that the measured distance for the BN1 is 9 1/2 inches, and 9
inches
::for the BN2.  I would SWEAR it was 11 inches for the BN1 and 9 inches for
the
::BN2.  I just seem to have this strongly in my memory.  Am I wrong?  I would
::assume that the Healey service note is correct, but, dang!  :)
:: - Paul B.
::_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:17:29 -0500

Paul,

You read something wrong. The BN1 fender distance is between 9" for the
later BN1s and 9 3/16" to 9 1/" for the very early BN1s.  The distance on
the BN2s is 7 1/2" making the BN2 wheel opening much larger.

Cheers,

Curt - AHConcours Committee

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:21:48 -0500

See correction below I forgot the 2 in 1/2"

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> later BN1s and 9 3/16" to 9 1/2" for the very early BN1s.  The distance on

[email-masked]

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 19:13:04 +0000

Paul

The Austin Service Journal you are referring to is dated after 100
production had ceased. 11 August 1961. There was however an earlier one
Volume 26-Cars Body 3.

What is most confusing is that this one gives the dimensions

BN1 = 9"
BN2 = 7 1/4"

The one you refer to gives

BN1 = 9 1/2"
BN2 = 9"

I believe that the earlier ASJ is closer to being correct and for what it
is worth my BN1 with original wings measures 9"

I have measured a BN2 which has reproduced wings at 7 3/8"

Best regards

On 28 February 2013 04:05, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Best wishes

John Harper

AHC UK 100 Register Secretary
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Donaldson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 12:10:08 +1300

The plot thickens!

My Austin Service Journal page:  VOLUME 26  CARS   BODY 3   dated
August 30, 1956

shows the distance from the top of the wheel arch to the top of the
panel measuring 9 (22.86 cm) for the BN1 and 7 > (19.68 cm) for the
BN2.

Ive just checked my BN2 and the distance is as Ive always known it
to be, 7 >.

The difference on between all BN1 and BN2 front guards that I have
ever measured has always been 1 <.

The page on Larrys site clearly shows different measurements.

It is dated 5 years later  11 August 1961  and states that the new
measurements cancel the earlier ones from 1956.

It also shows a 3000 car outline, whereas the 1956 page shows just the
RF 100 guard (fender).

In every other respect the wording and part numbers are EXACTLY the
same.

Now we cannot have body panels with the same part numbers having
different dimensions.

Could Austin have made a goof?

Something is screwy.

Mark Donaldson

Auckland

NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, 28 February 2013 5:06 p.m.
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] BN1 and BN2 front fenders - check me on this
please.

and the BN2 front fenders.  The easiest (only?) way to tell them apart
is to

measure the distance from the top of the wheel opening to the top of
the

for the BN2.  I would SWEAR it was 11 inches for the BN1 and 9 inches
for the

BN2.  I just seem to have this strongly in my memory.  Am I wrong?  I
would

 - Paul B.

[email-masked]