Subject: [Healeys] Generator brushes on a MkII BT7

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 13:42:47 -0000

Hi,

Some advice would, as ever, be appreciated.....

I've had my car for, say, 20 years and done maybe 40,000 miles in it. (Not
too sure, to tell the truth!)

In that time I've had the generator on & off a few times, but never delved
into it. Never needed to. It's working fine.

Now, fingers crossed, I expect to take my car for a longish trip to France
in June and need to think about potential problems in advance......

My BMC manual infers that I can check the commutator and brushes with the
car in situ. (For example, it mentions turning the engine slowly by hand
(!!) whilst holding a fine dry cloth against the commutator).

I was thinking about EITHER leaving the generator alone; if it ain't broke,
don't fix it. And just carrying some spare brushes.

OR, taking it apart and having a look, whilst probably changing the brushes
anyway ie  while I'm in there.

Can one do the brushes in situ?

How long are the carbon bits when new? (ie so I'll know how much life they
have left).

Can someone give me the dimensions of the brushes or a photo or anything? (I
inherited a pair of NOS brushes with the car, but have no idea if they fit a
3000 or where. Some of the bits in the "useful spares" heap never saw a
Healey in their lives.

Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:27:07 +0100

Simon,
You cannot put in new brushes only. You have to take the generator apart 
and dress down the commutator on a lathe taking very fine cuts until it 
is free of any wear marks. After that you have to undercut the 
insulation using a ground down hacksaw blade, 0.5mm should be enough. At 
the same time renew the ball bearing in the front and the bronze bush at 
the rear (after soaking in oil, any way you want).
Putting in new brushes only will most likely destroy the generator as 
the contact area is to small causing spartks and heat.

Kees Oudesluijs

[email-masked]