Subject: [Healeys] Fwd: Horsepower

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 23:59:27 -0800

Don't know if this forward.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "charles lichter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Feb 8, 2013 11:51 PM
Subject: Horsepower
To:
Cc:

** **
** **
** **
** **

Now this is an engine.
Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is the
most powerful and most efficient prime-mover in the world today. The Aioi
Works of Japan 's Diesel United, Ltd built the first engines and is where
some of these pictures were taken.
It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines.
These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship
owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation
of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them. The
cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each
cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780
horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480
liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.
Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:
Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)
Length: 89 feet
Height: 44 feet
Maximum power: *108,920 hp at 102 rpm*
Maximum torque: *5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm*

Fuel consumption at maximum power is 0.278 lbs per hp per hour (Brake
Specific Fuel Consumption). Fuel consumption at maximum economy is 0.260
lbs/hp/hour. At maximum economy the engine exceeds 50% thermal efficiency.
That is, more than 50% of the energy in the fuel in converted to motion.
For comparison, most automotive and small aircraft engines have BSFC
figures in the 0.40-0.60 lbs/hp/hr range and 25-30% thermal efficiency
range..
Even at its most efficient power setting, the big 14 consumes 1,660 gallons
of heavy fuel oil per hour.
A cross section of the RTA96C:

The internals of this engine are a bit different than most automotive
engines.
The top of the connecting rod is not attached directly to the piston. The
top of the connecting rod attaches to a "crosshead" which rides in guide
channels. A long piston rod then connects the crosshead to the piston.
I assume this is done so the the sideways forces produced by the connecting
rod are absorbed by the crosshead and not by the piston. Those sideways
forces are what makes the cylinders in an auto engine get oval-shaped over
time.
Installing the "thin-shell" bearings. Crank & rod journals are 38" in
diameter and 16" wide:

The crank sitting in the block (also known as a "gondola-style" bedplate).
This is a 10 cylinder version.
Note the steps by each crank throw that lead down into the crankcase:

A piston & piston rod assembly. The piston is at the top. The large square
plate at the bottom is where the whole assembly attaches to the crosshead:

The "spikes" on the piston rods are hollow tubes that go into the holes you
can see on the bottom of the pistons (left picture) and inject oil into the
inside of the piston which keeps the top of the piston from overheating.
Some high-performance auto engines have a similar feature where an oil
squirter nozzle squirts oil onto the bottom of the piston.

The cylinder deck (10 cylinder version). Cylinder liners are die-cast
ductile cast iron. Look at the size of those head studs!:

The first completed 12 cylinder engine:
****
 ****
  ****

 ****
** **

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image001.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image002.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image003.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image004.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image005.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image006.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image007.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image008.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image009.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 09:05:57 +0100

With a little fine tunning, it would definiatly brake the 110.000 barrier.

Gergo

2013/2/9 I Erbs <[email-masked]>

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]