Subject: Re: [Healeys] Clunk again

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:28:59 -0400 (EDT)

Rich
If the wheel cylinder body (where it passes through the backplate) is not worn
and if the spring steel cylinder retaining plates are installed properly, then
the cylinder doesn't move easily with the brake shoes and springs installed.
It will move, actually needs to, but it shouldn't be sloppy loose. Nice
technical term.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Kahn <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Mar 11, 2013 4:14 pm
Subject: [Healeys] Clunk again

>From the good advice I received, I've been trying to find a cause. I found
the
heel cylinder on the right rear brake seems to move very easily in the slot.
s the slot is rather large in relation to the wheel cylinder housing, I
ssume it is suppose to move but the clunk when I move it sounds like what I
et when braking. Any thoughts? Should it not move that much?
ich Kahn
______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Greg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 00:03:39 -0400

Newbie here who happens to be working on his brakes right now.

I had the thought that maybe your brake shoes are unevenly worn. Maybe, since
one is thinner than the other, when you hit the brakes the shoes try to center
themselves and because one is thinner than the other the piston slams all the
way to one end of the hole with a clunk.

Greg

Sent from my iPad

the
> wheel cylinder on the right rear brake seems to move very easily in the
slot.
> As the slot is rather large in relation to the wheel cylinder housing, I
> assume it is suppose to move but the clunk when I move it sounds like what
I
> get when braking. Any thoughts? Should it not move that much?
> Rich Kahn
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:32:15 -0700

Good point.  Also--thought of this earlier but figured it was a long shot--Healey drum brakes are self-energizing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0OFhyxo4As

Maybe something is hanging up then catching (or releasing) hard causing the clunk.

Bob

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Joe and Lenore Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:59:11 +1100

Bob Spidell wrote:

> Good point.  Also--thought of this earlier but figured it was a long 
> shot--Healey drum brakes are self-energizing:
>

    In the case of drum brakes with a single cylinder/piston,  only one 
shoe, that is the leading shoe , is self-energising.  The other shoe is, 
'trailing'

Healey rear brakes are single cylinder/piston.

One thing not mentioned yet I believe is;      are the shoes square to 
the drum face achieved by adjusting the 'post' which is at right anle / 
square to the backing plate and shoe face located on the cylinder?

Joe

[email-masked]