Subject: [Healeys] Gearbox

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:12:40 -0400 (EDT)

Bill,

I am also considering removing the overdrive to have it repaired without also
removing the gearbox. I do not understand which OD thrust washers you are
referring to. Can you identify them either by part number or by item number in
the shop manual? Has anyone ever actually replaced the overdrive onto a
transmission the is in the car & can verify that it can be done?

Thanks,
Gary

It can be done, but it's not recommended. The thrust washers within the OD
have to be aligned when the Unit is installed on the transmission. That is
tough to do when the unit is in the horizontal position. They tend to slide
out from between the gears due to gravity. If you force the OD onto the trans
while one of the washers is out of alignment you will break the washer and
that will require the unit to be dismantled and repaired. Bill Lawrence BN1
#554
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys