Subject: [Healeys] Fw: Re: Original Tyres

From: "J. Scott Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:24:59 -0700 (PDT)

This bounced so I have resubmitted to only the Healey List.

--- On Tue, 3/19/13, J. Scott Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: J. Scott Morris <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Original Tyres
To: "Peter Svilans" <[email-masked]>, "Bob Pense"
<[email-masked]>, "Patrick Quinn" <[email-masked]>, "Keith"
<[email-masked]>, "Healey List" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Received: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 11:06 AM

Gentlemen;  Here are two files that may be of interest; both were created a
number of years ago and to reduce the size I have converted them into pdf
format. 
 
The first article is from Motor Sport in 1956 and gives a review of the tyre
situation at that time.  The term 'radial' does not seem to be used but the
tire is referenced. 
 
The second file contains two articles and an ad regarding the Dunlop SP41
Radial tyre.
 
Enjoy!!

--Scott Morris; Simcoe, Ontario, Canada - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives
PS: I realize the articles will be stripped from the Healey List so if anyone
else is interested, do let me know.  A copy is also being forwarded to John
Sims for consideration on his website.

--- On Tue, 3/19/13, Peter Svilans <[email-masked]> wrote: << Good
to hear from you, Bob.  Wow. 5.50 x16 are even narrower than the MGA's
5.60x15. We've hardly seen anything of these very early tire alternatives.
Probably went the way of the fitted luggage, of which only one set was ever
delivered.  When the radials came in, much was made of the loss of the
delicate and light steering (despite the typical fifties waving to and fro of
the steering wheel to stay in a straight line). Two fingers on a thin 17"rim
furthered this impression of classy precision.  At the time, radials were
acknowledged to give better handling, but at the cost of heavier steering and
harsher ride.  And stickier tires brought with them the brutish small steering
wheels with fat sausage rims. >>

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of Tyres]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of Make-Dunlop]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys