Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trafficator Control Head

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:25:19 +0100

Depends on the make and type of the trafficator.
Most are readily available used through sites like ebay.co.uk and also 
at auto-jumbles.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 23-3-2013 18:05, Derek Job schreef:
> Does anybody have any ideas about the value of an original, working
>   Trafficator?
>
> Derek
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Gilbert Gauthier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:09:24 -0400

Hi Derek,

I would guess around 450 $ US

Cheers

Gilbert
Le 2013-03-23 ` 13:05, Derek Job a icrit :

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: jerry wall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:40:01 -0500

It makes your turn signals work better.
> Does anybody have any ideas about the value of an original, working
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:42:18 +0000

Actually Jerry it doesn't. Its far simpler to have a separate switch on the
dash.

Derek

[email-masked]

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:57:06 -0700

Restored to the appearance and function as original might well be
quite a lot more.  By the time 'trafficator' heads reach the market
most have been mistreated enough to have bent and broken mechanical
parts, lost small bits, and in need of refinishing and replating. They
may 'work' but not as originally designed.   Some internal parts are
getting quite hard to find -- often the ones that spring out of your
hands when you first try to dismantle the head.

-Roland

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:09:24 -0400, you wrote:

::Hi Derek,
::
::I would guess around 450 $ US
::
::Cheers
::
::Gilbert
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400

I note that MM have a repro unit for $324.00 (853-810)
Does anyone have any experience with these, reliable, look original,
interchangeable parts..

Michael S

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Michael Salter

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:57:50 -0700

He's too noble to shill for himself, so I'll do it: the List's own Curt Arndt restores them.

Bob

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:03:11 -0700

I bought one a few years ago.  Decent quality, though some minor differences (probably not 100% interchangeable, but 
can't say for sure).  Overall, had a more 'plasticy' look and feel than the original (maybe because it's made out of a 
modern plastic instead of bakelite?).

It broke after a couple years in the usual fashion: quit cancelling.

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:25:47 -0700

Bob,

You spoke too soon as I just sent a shameless plug on my services, to
Derek, you, and the rest of the responders plus the list.

As I type this I am finally finishing up about a dozen units for clients
and List Members to include... Michael Salter (BN1 #174), Gene Kwiatkowski
(BN1 #51), Charlie Schott, Bill Browning, Kurt Tanner, and John Hardy.  In
fact I just picked up $400 worth of re-chromed turn signal levers and horn
rings from my plater no less than a hour ago.

If anyone on the List would like to see photos of my work I take pictures
of every unit I restore.

Cheers,

Curt

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> ______________________________**_________________
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> ***********************************************************************
> ***********************************************************************
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/cnaarndt@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:55:22 -0400

Now, if you could prove that it came off a factory 100-M ...

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:39:50 +0000

No Bob, it came off a 100-Six.

It's for an adjustable column. It has the 100-Six centre piece but that's
can be easily changed.

Derek

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>wrote:

> http://www.ciahc.org/registry_**3000mk1.php<http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php>
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jean Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:06:59 +0000

I bought one about four years ago to install in a friend's car, works fine, no
problems with it as of yet. It is shinier than the original as it is made of
plastic. As someone else mentioned Curt Arndt repairs them and does a great
job of it, a Club member here in Winnipeg had his redone and it came back as
original.

Jean

> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:55:21 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trafficator Control Head
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/vintage_roadster_restoration@ho
tmail.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:16:03 -0700

Listers,

Good, complete working units that may just need a basic restoration can go
from $100 to $200.  Pay less on eBay or from other sources and it may not
be complete, or broken, or it may be missing parts $$$.  Even a good
example of these will typically need a new wiring harness, a horn button
(100-6 or 3000) and possibly re-chroming of either the horn ring or the
lever or both.  These parts and the chroming will run about $135.

I have a number of rebuilt units in stock and typically charge $450-$550
for them depending on the type.  Condition of my restored units is
essentially the same... restored to like new, or as close as I can get to
new.

I typically will buy a unit for around, but no more than $200 (or less)
delivered, and then $150 for my cost of restoration (this is the same price
that Vic Wright was charging years ago when I took over from him), add the
$135 in parts, and the total is $485.00.   This is for a complete 100-6 or
3000 unit complete with adjustable stator tube (or non adjustable with
canceling ring and wavy washer) and wiring harness.

Over the years I have restored over 40 units for Kurt Tanner, probably 18
for John Wilson at Healey Lane, and several for both Eric Grunden and Tom
Kovacs, in addition to clients through out the US and Europe.  *Tanner used
to use the reproductions but had nothing with trouble with them*.  After I
did several for him some years ago he sent me everything he had and I've
been doing all of his ever since.

Compare my prices to Cape International and I'm a deal, Cape charges 250
pounds sterling for a basic rebuild (no parts) versus my $150 USD price.  I
just restored a BN2 unit for a gentleman in France and the total delivered
was $329 with $179 of that being parts and shipping.  See attached before
and after photos...

Cheap shameless plug over.

Cheers,

Curt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{)

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I bought one a few years ago.  Decent quality, though some minor
> differences (probably not 100% interchangeable, but can't say for sure).
>  Overall, had a more 'plasticy' look and feel than the original (maybe
> because it's made out of a modern plastic instead of bakelite?).
>

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of Trafficator Brochure Dec. 20120001.pdf]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_6825.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_6823.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_6890.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_6891.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_6888.JPG]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:33:37 -0400

Take a look at:

http://healey6.com/Technical/Austin%20Healey%20Trafficator%20Restoration%20F
lyer.pdf

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Curtis Arndt
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:26 PM
To: Bob Spidell
Cc: Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trafficator Control Head

Bob,

You spoke too soon as I just sent a shameless plug on my services, to Derek,
you, and the rest of the responders plus the list.

As I type this I am finally finishing up about a dozen units for clients and
List Members to include... Michael Salter (BN1 #174), Gene Kwiatkowski
(BN1 #51), Charlie Schott, Bill Browning, Kurt Tanner, and John Hardy.  In
fact I just picked up $400 worth of re-chromed turn signal levers and horn
rings from my plater no less than a hour ago.

If anyone on the List would like to see photos of my work I take pictures of
every unit I restore.

Cheers,

Curt

[email-masked]