Subject: Re: [Healeys] clunk on braking

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:40:31 -0800 s=q20121106; t=1362609608; bh=DsJTHR15hHxdqpMDnezjqoFrVr6pPROLFoa1XPOBqpM=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=eKRrOUWQuIC9d3cghtAXXIig3rlOrKT8dgsU/Wxq1p3PfyLQV7KpIwH+S6ZJvna0+ ytCAr3LrZ1JJcF9rxe03sSJ48l9HoODHxzUe/heaWC2Dzmy61LI6jSCC7+QTQSkQU/ zavZIsWZdYe3Cz1hU5vsD88wmaAygW+slcPR/EVkIlOoB0zMNc4oTMsUqbVmRs3BrE O5ZKegPkLLSrGCCqaq5iFgaKdJbUOwfWKh8gJHdUBuC3Q99W2fV+TrKyfYlDC4mrAR +d1nQY3RzjqZStFIOw5p5CZtM6a8sWrjOENqc7FjnZHPXm6SOcIbLP7UfbFCoxHDdY 4GZ1JDNm3Vqrw==

Well, maybe I've told this story before, but maybe it will inspire you to 
look for something unusual.

My daughter was at college with our well-worn Ford Fairlane wagon, and began 
hearing a loud noise on turning a corner.  Sort of a clank, clank, clank, 
clunk.  But it only happened sometimes, and sometimes on a right turn and 
sometimes on a left turn.  All her "car expert" friends looked here and 
there, with all sorts of possible explanations, none of which seemed to 
help.  Then one day somebody noticed a full beer can on the roof.  Seems on 
a hard turn, it would roll across the roof, over the luggage pads, and then 
against the roof rack.  Clank, clank, clank, clunk.

Gotta love college.

Mike
BN2 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Gary R. Brierton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:58:54 -0500 FILETIME=[2FD35310:01CE1ABE]

...And she swore, "Daddy, I never party with those nasty beer drinkers!"
GaryB

-----Original Message----- 
From: Mike
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:40 PM
To: Healey Forum
Subject: Re: [Healeys] clunk on braking

Gotta love college.

Mike
BN2

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Charlie Schott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:54:26 -0800

I have an oil leak between the gearbox and the OD unit on a 1960 BT7 side 
shift. My question is: can I pull the OD unit off the back of the gearbox 
without pulling the gearbox out of the car? The transmission tunnel is not 
installed. If so, what should I do and don't do? Thanks.

Regards,

Charlie Schott

[email-masked]

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 17:47:54 -0800

The OD can be pulled out but it is far easier to remove the OD/trans 
combo. It is very difficult to mate the OD onto the trans when it is 
in the car because there are two sets of splines in the OD that must 
be aligned when it is reinstalled. When reinstalling it, they will 
rotate and get out of alignment and then you have to remove it to 
realign the splines. In addition, the OD pump must be tied down with 
a string when reinstalling the OD and that is easier with everything 
out of the car.

Check the videos at Magnus Karlsson website:

http://healeyspecialists.com/

John Spaur
'62 BT7

At 04:54 PM 3/6/2013 -0800, you wrote:
>I have an oil leak between the gearbox and the OD unit on a 1960 BT7 
>side shift. My question is: can I pull the OD unit off the back of 
>the gearbox without pulling the gearbox out of the car? The 
>transmission tunnel is not installed. If so, what should I do and 
>don't do? Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>
>Charlie Schott
>Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
>[email-masked]
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 01:36:22 +0000

It can be done, but it's not recommended. The thrust washers within the OD
have to be aligned when the Unit is installed on the transmission. That is
tough to do when the unit is in the horizontal position. They tend to slide
out from between the gears due to gravity. If you force the OD onto the trans
while one of the washers is out of alignment you will break the washer and
that will require the unit to be dismantled and repaired.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:54:26 -0800
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gearbox leak
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Charlie Schott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 06:54:38 -0700

Does anyone have a good used oil pump cam for the OD unit of a BT7 side 
shift gearbox. Thanks.

Regards,

Charlie Schott

[email-masked]

---

From: "Charlie Schott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 06:49:45 -0700

I ended up pulling the complete gearbox out of the car, made somewhat easier
by the fact that the seats, doors, door sills and dash were not yet installed.
Then I found out that not only did the previous owner forget the gasket
between the O/D and the gearbox, he also forgot the 8 clutch springs and the
oil pump cam. Thatbs when I opened up the box to check the inside and
installed new seals and gaskets. This was after the previous owner had told me
that the gearbox was checked out and given an okay.

Regards,

Charlie Schott

From: [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 6:55 PM
To: [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; [email-masked] ;
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gearbox leak

Bill,
I am also considering removing the overdrive to have it repaired without also
removing the gearbox. I do not understand which OD thrust washers you are
referring to. Can you identify them either by part number or by item number in
the shop manual? Has anyone ever actually replaced the overdrive onto a
transmission the is in the car & can verify that it can be done?

Thanks,
Gary
-----Original Message-----
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
To: schottc <[email-masked]>; phoenix722 <[email-masked]>;
healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Mar 8, 2013 3:53 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gearbox leak

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:08:45 -0400 (EDT)

I was reviewing Magnus Karlsson's excellent overdrive videos & have a question
about measuring & setting the solenoid valve operating lever. It appears that
the dial indicator used to set the lever lift is measuring the 0.70 mm (.028")
lift on the end of the lever located on the RH side of the OD. My question is
this: Is this the correct place to measure the lift? I have read in other
instructions that the lift should be measured by reading the lift of the ball
riding on top of the actual operating valve located inside the OD & the
correct lift is .016". I do understand the lift of the external lever & the
internal ball are directly related, so perhaps .028" at the lever is equal to
.016" at the ball. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: john spaur [email-masked]

John Spaur
'62 BT7

[email-masked]

---

From: Magnus Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:31:51 +0100

Gary,

First of all thanks for your kind comment about my video.

It can't be seen clearly but I do measure the lift on the ball in the
operating valve and the correct lift of the ball shall be 0,7 mm according to
the original workshop manual. I do not measure on the lever on the rigjt hand
side.

Magnus Karlsson
Sweden

Skickat frC%n min iPhone

> http://healeyspecialists.com/
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:16:44 -0400 (EDT)

Magnus,
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping you would reply. That explains
everything I need to know including the correct lift specification!
All of your videos are very helpful.
Thanks again,
Gary Hodson

-----Original Message-----
From: Magnus Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Gary,First of all thanks for your kind comment about my video. It can't be
seen clearly but I do measure the lift on the ball in the operating valve and
the correct lift of the ball shall be 0,7 mm according to the original
workshop manual. I do not measure on the lever on the rigjt hand side. Magnus
KarlssonSweden
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----

John Spaur
'62 BT7

[email-masked]