Subject: Re: [Healeys] Change in 3000 block casting

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 07:56:24 -0500

The same oil sump (P/N AEC203) was used for all BJ7 (29F) and BJ8 (29K)
engines, so the oil capacity was the same.  Moving the dipstick to another
location on the block required a longer dipstick to register the same oil
level as before.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lodge [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:46 PM
To: 'Forum Healeys'; BJ8 Healeys
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Change in 3000 block casting

Does that translate as a change in the sump capacity?  Just asking.

Regards, Lodge, BJ8, Vancouver.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:12:56 +1100

If you've ever worked on the Ford 998cc to 1600cc engines, you'll know this
issue from a mile away. Big difference is in fords it's about sump depth at
dipstick location.
Dipstick in the back = sump is deeper in the back. And vice a versa
Unfortunately, a couple of  nameless 17 year olds once put a 1600cc ford motor
into an otherwise 1300cc escort. Dipstick front vs dipstick rear. Steering
rack rear vs steering rack front. That's why the sumps were different...
Maiden voyage, feeling pretty happy with ourselves and the performance, we
stopped at an old fashioned servo on the Old Pacific Highway. Told him to put
$5 worth of petrol in it... Came out with a coffee just in time to see the
attendant just finishing adding 8 litres of oil..... Yes. 8 litres, as the
dipstick was dry... He'd nearly filled the sump to the bottom of the
block....
;-)
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 03/03/2013, at 11:56 PM, "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Regards,

[email-masked]