Subject: Re: [Healeys] Alternator Cables

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:50:56 +1000

Price
When I converted mine to a 70amp alternator years ago, I used the normal
harness (admittedly it was a new one with modern wire) with no problem. I
have have never heard of that proposition. I kept the original regulator in
position and just shuffled a couple of wires around so that it is in reality
just a junction box now. Works fine no problems.
If you want a photo of the new wiring setup reply to me. Much simpler than
all that stuff that was going round on the list a month ago
No need to upgrade the battery cables as they are that size to facilitate
the amount of current the starter motor requires not the charge from the
alternator
John Rowe
Qld Australia
Bn1 BT7 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Price Lindsay
Sent: Tuesday, 26 March 2013 5:26 AM
To: Healey List Healey List
Subject: [Healeys] Alternator Cables

I am converting my 67 BJ8 to negative ground. Some suggest, as a fire safety
move, the cable from the alternator to the starter be larger than my stock
cable. My question: should the cable from the starter to the battery and
from the battery to ground also be upgraded?  Ideally, what gauge should
these be?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Price Lindsay
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:51:22 -0400

It isn't necessary to upgrade the stock battery-to-starter relay cable, or
the battery ground cable.  My alternator conversion did not specify a gauge
for the required extra cable from the starter relay to alternator.  I just
used a spare battery cable I had lying around that happened to be long
enough.  Way overkill, but convenient for me.  I haven't had any fires since
doing the conversion in 2002.  I use a Delco-Remy SI-10 (NAPA P/N 213-4011)
alternator.  The only extra loads I have added have been driving lights,
some audible turn signal indicators, and recently a digital radio.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 3:26 PM

Price Lindsay

[email-masked]

---

From: Price Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:43:04 -0400

Thank you to all that replied. It seems the consensus is that the battery and
starter cables I currently have on my BJ 8 are sufficiently sized to handle an
alternator.

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Price Lindsay <[email-masked]>
> Date: March 25, 2013, 3:26:16 PM EDT
> To: Healey List Healey List <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Alternator Cables
>
move, the cable from the alternator to the starter be larger than my stock
cable. My question: should the cable from the starter to the battery and from
the battery to ground also be upgraded?  Ideally, what gauge should these be?
> 67 BJ 8

[email-masked]