Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tires

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:10:19 -0700

re: "... Vredestein tire sidewalls as they were too aggressive and I have heard that the 185-70-15 tires rubbed when 
doing tight turns"

I'm on my third (fourth?) set on my BJ8 with 6" rims and I've never experienced this problem.  I take this road a few 
times a year:

*http://tinyurl.com/bqtzaj6*

BTW, learned today that Nokia was originally known for making studded snow tires.  How they got to phones must be quite 
a story.

Bob

On 3/26/2013 3:40 PM, Mark Goodman wrote:
> I put Nexen tires on my BJ8 last year, as I did not like the look of the
> Vredestein tire sidewalls as they were too aggressive and I have heard that
> the 185-70-15 tires rubbed when doing tight turns.  Nexen is a Korean Tire
> Mfg that makes a good tire.  I have used Khumo tires in the past on my daily
> driver which has been a 3 series BMW since 1988, which are also from Korea
> and they gave me great wear an more importantly great performance.
>
>   
>
> I had the 165-80-15 Nexen tires Dynamically Balanced and they do not give
> any shimmy or shake anywhere within the speed range of my BJ8.  I recommend
> that you either get your tires dynamically balanced or shaved when you put
> new ones on the car, no matter what brand.
>
>   
>
> I know that some of you are doubters, but the Nexen tires do come standard
> on several Kias, so they cannot be that bad as Kia does have the liability
> issue if they do not hold up well.
>
>   
>
> Mark
>
>   
>
>
>

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:42:33 -0400

Beat me to it. I've also have had a couple sets of Vredestein 185/70 x 15's on
the BJ8 and no rubbing issue. Vredestein 185 x 15 can rub on the seam between
the fender and shroud at the base of the fender but trimming 1/2" off the seam
solves the problem. 185 x 15 is a great rolling tire on the BJ8.

Randy

Randy Hicks
www.austinhealey100m.com
'56 100 M  White/Black
'56 100 M  Florida Green/OEW
'62 BN7 MkII with factory hardtop
'65 BJ8
'53 MGTD
[email-masked]

On Mar 26, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> re: "... Vredestein tire sidewalls as they were too aggressive and I have
heard that the 185-70-15 tires rubbed when doing tight turns"
>
> I'm on my third (fourth?) set on my BJ8 with 6" rims and I've never
experienced this problem.  I take this road a few times a year:
> BTW, learned today that Nokia was originally known for making studded snow
tires.  How they got to phones must be quite a story.

[email-masked]

---

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:48:06 -0400

List,

Just some additional comments on the Nexen tires.  This has been kicking
around for a while.

I have been told by Allen Hendrix, when he mounted and balanced my Nexen
tires last year, that Nexen is actually owned and operated by Michelin,
in Korea.  Michelin bought the company because they had the equipment
necessary to produce many different size tires for the older cars.  Just as
an aside, the tires are also approved for SCCA racing.

My tires have been on the car for a year now with absolutely no problems.
They were much less expensive than any other option.  Part of what needs to
be considered in the tire discussion is the size, type of tube being used
and it's proper fit to a properly prepared wheel.  Without the correct
tube, the tire selected and the wheel setup will, regardless of
manufacturer, not last long or perform properly.  More $s to consider when
thinking of tire replacement and cost.

Just something to consider.  My two cents.

Fred
63 BJ7

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ***********************************************************************
> ***********************************************************************
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/fredwescoe@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:49:21 -0500

I was digging through the basement while working on a furniture making 
project lately when I came across another box of stuff left over from my 100 
ownership days.  Don't get too excited... some NOS points and condensors 
which were sold to me as being for a Healey 100, although I never tried 
fitting them.  Made by Niehoff, and American parts supplier.

Not very exciting stuff, but if nothing else a reminder that at one time a 
mainline American aftermarket parts supplier made parts for our Healeys.

They ar in a red and black box that makes it very clear that these parts are 
"Waranteed"so they must be good stuff.

I may keep one of each to put on the shelf, but I have about 10 sets of 
points and over a dozen condensors.  Part Numbers are WA-3 and WA-24.

Will parcel out to interested parties, may want a few bucks for shipping if 
only one person is interested and they want all of them, but otherwise if 
sending out a little box or two in a bubble envelope can probably ship (to 
the US anyway) for less money than the trouble it would be for me to collect 
the postage.

Reply off list if interested.

Greg Lemon 

[email-masked]