Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gearbox

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:36:11 +1100

You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, 19 March 2013 1:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Gearbox

Bill,

I am also considering removing the overdrive to have it repaired without
also removing the gearbox. I do not understand which OD thrust washers you
are referring to. Can you identify them either by part number or by item
number in the shop manual? Has anyone ever actually replaced the overdrive
onto a transmission the is in the car & can verify that it can be done?

Thanks,
Gary

It can be done, but it's not recommended. The thrust washers within the OD
have to be aligned when the Unit is installed on the transmission. That is
tough to do when the unit is in the horizontal position. They tend to slide
out from between the gears due to gravity. If you force the OD onto the
trans while one of the washers is out of alignment you will break the washer
and that will require the unit to be dismantled and repaired. Bill Lawrence
BN1
#554
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:56:01 -0700

I'm sure it's been done, but at the end of the day, you'll save a lot of
time and heartache to just remove the entire trans and do it in the
recommended fashion.  I suspect you'll eventually end up with the trans out
of the car anyway.

I have never attempted in the car, my experience with them out of the car
has been enough to tell me that in car  is not the way to go.  

I got lucky once with my TR3 and managed to get it properly lined up on the
1st try, dumb luck.  Unfortunately in the several AH's, Jags, and TR's done
since, getting it lined up on the 1st attempt hasn't happened.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting
702-882-6711

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Patrick & Caroline Quinn
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 7:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gearbox

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

-----Original Message-----

Bill,

Thanks,
Gary

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "teamhealeytexas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:04:28 -0500 {sentby:smtp auth 71.170.125.38 authed with [email-masked]}

Hi Bill,

It's virtually impossible to remove the O/D by itself while the 
engine/transmission remain in the car. The main problem is that the gearbox 
mainshaft requires the O/D to be slid backwards from the transmission, and 
the transmission tunnel behind the seats doesn't allow for sufficient 
movement for the O/D to clear the transmission mainshaft. The washers that 
are being referred are drawing number 120 (sunwheel steel adjusting washer - 
various part numbers) and drawing number 121 part number 866-780 bronze 
thrust washer in the Moss catalog as part of the internals of the O/D. It 
never ceases to amaze me how these can ever so slightly move, preventing the 
mainshaft from sliding back into the O/D. The 2nd pain in the butt is in 
trying to get the rear splines of the annulus (drawing number 138 part 
number 031-382) lined up with the splines at the back of the O/D. Even using 
an old mainshaft to line up the splines still does not guarantee that the 
trans mainshaft will slide fully home. I find that even holding my tongue on 
the right side of my mouth , spinning around 3 times with my left pinkie 
extended, and providing burnt offerings to the overdrive Gods, that it takes 
me several tries to get everything mated up correctly.

I've found that it's hard enough to get everything lined up to mate the O/D 
to the transmission with both out of the car. Although it would seem to be 
simpler to remove the O/D by itself, I don't believe that it's possible 
without modifying body work. The two obvious ways to get the O/D separated 
from the transmission is to either remove the transmission/overdrive 
together, which can be tough as the combo  weighs a bloomin' ton, and has to 
be removed through the interior, and there is very little room in the 
interior for more than one person to muscle the unit in and out. Despite 
trying to be careful, I've mashed fingers, scratched paintwork, and expanded 
my 4-letter vocabulary tremendously doing this, and for my car with a roll 
cage it is a logistical nightmare.

For me, I find removing the engine/transmission/overdrive as a unit through 
the front, while having more steps to perform, seems to generate much less 
frustration, damaged fingers, etc. than removing only the trans and O/D. 
Also while the engine/trans is out, it gives me a chance to closely check 
out both, even if it's only to thoroughly clean, paint touch up, etc.

Hope this helps.

Y'all take care, eh?
Fred
Team Healey Texas

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Yule <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:34:23 -0400

Gary, we do it routinely. there are a few things to consider.  The drive 
shaft has to be removed entirely,to allow the o/d unit to go back into the 
tunnel far enough to clear the out put shaft of the gearbox, the throttle 
linkage disconnected and the fan turned and shielded from the radiator. 
Otherwise it is quite straightforward.
    The thrust washers that are referred to are adjacent to the sun wheel 
and planet gear carrier and can move out of position.
Cheers.......Bob
Check out our web site www.autofarm.net
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 10:12 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Gearbox

> also
> removing the gearbox. I do not understand which OD thrust washers you are
> referring to. Can you identify them either by part number or by item 
> number in
> the shop manual? Has anyone ever actually replaced the overdrive onto a
> transmission the is in the car & can verify that it can be done?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> trans
> while one of the washers is out of alignment you will break the washer and
> that will require the unit to be dismantled and repaired. Bill Lawrence 
> BN1
> #554
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:43:19 +0800

agreed - it's hard enough to get the OD on with it out of the car, you'd be
mad to do it in the car.

[email-masked]