Subject: [Healeys] 100 Service Manual trivia query

From: "Peter Svilans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:53:47 -0400

Yes, the books and sales sheets always began with just the number, with "A"
added for the first upgrade. Sort of like what we would call the 'second
floor' of a building being called the 'first floor' in England.

Curiously, my 997C is dated September 1956, but I have a 97H997D as well,
which is ALSO dated September 1956. My BN2 Supplement 997/ I  (March 1956) is
inserted loose, unlike Mike's.

Another 97H997D which I have has dropped the large month and year on the title
page, but says "copyright BMC 1959" in fine print at the bottom, so the "D"
must have been the last 100 Service Manual which was reprinted multiple
times.

These three-digit numbers were in-house publication numbers, and the "97H" was
later added (in Sept '56 ?) to make them official Part Numbers and the manuals
could then be ordered over the counter.

The 100-Six Service Manuals carried right on from the Hundreds, with 97H1489
(May '57) covering the BN4, and "Issue 2" of the same number adding the BN6 as
well.

Later the numbering system was overhauled and the 97H numbers became AKD
numbers.

Best regards
Peter
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:12:21 +0100

Peter

I have, what I believe is the first edition of the Austin Austin-Healey
Parts list. The cover is red with grey. Interestingly the pages are printed
on a pink background except that some pages have been replaced with white
sheets and marked up Edition 2.

The publication number is 1050 and the date is March 1954. It is clearly a
Longbridge publication and says so.

It is perhaps only 80% accurate or complete when when compared with a later
BMC Service Cowley version; now called Service Parts List From Cowley there
appears to be a version ; first issue Part Number 1115. My second Cowley
issue is dated June 1956 with the part number AKD1086. I believe that these
AKD publication numbers came about; at Cowley, when Morris and Austin
spares and publications came under a common numbering system.

If anybody has anything to add to this please let us know.

Best regards

On 30 April 2013 14:53, Peter Svilans <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Best wishes

John Harper

AHC UK 100 Register Secretary
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]