Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry

From: Richard Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:08:05 -0500

Thanks Rudy...interesting

Regards,
Richard C

Sent from iPhone

On Apr 8, 2013, at 12:20, [email-masked] wrote:

> I had never heard of this site (Healeydata.com) and see that it is indeed
listed as Nanjing Automotive in China.  I never share any data without the
owner's permission and would avoid this site.
> Rudy Streng
> 100/Six Registrar
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:39:46 -0400

Rudy, the healeydata.com site is "owned" by Roger Los, who created the
original austinhealey.com website back in the '90s, and which was the
primary inspiration for me to become the BJ8 registrar.  The old website
still exists, but has not been maintained in years.  The disclaimer at the
bottom of the healeydata.com homepage does not say that the healeydata.com
site is owned by nor is it the same as Nanjing Automotive in China.  If I'm
not mistaken, the Healey family ceded the rights to the name and logos to a
company that eventually was absorbed into Nanjing Automotive, which means
that Nanjing has the rights to the name Healey (and I presume also,
Austin-Healey), which the statement is trying to convey.

Healeydata.com is a very good site for Healey data, but there are some
issues I have with it.  I have frequently heard from BJ8 owners that they
thought they had already "registered" their BJ8 because they put it on
healeydata.com.  The website is completely passive and merely collects the
data that people voluntarily submit to it.  It does not use it for anything,
for example for the benefit of individual owners, as do the registries.  I'm
afraid that having multiple places where people can input the data for their
cars only dilutes the effort to identify and catalog the details of the cars
and their histories.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 1:21 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry

Rudy Streng
100/Six Registrar

[email-masked]

---

From: "Niels Bengaard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:30:21 +0200

I think that Healeydata does a very good job.
It4s an easy way to register your own and other cars you see.
And mainly the data, pictures etc. are accesible online to all,  opposite 
the registries that are offline and have limited or no access to the public.
If you search for a VIN and it is on Healeydata you will see it instantly. 
The registries dont have that option.

You can say there are two places to register, but it should be easy for the 
registries to take the data from Healeydata, I hope they do so.
I register all the cars I see only on Healeydata. I think there should be 
room for both as they serve different purposes.

Niels Bengaard
Denmark

-----Oprindelig meddelelse----- 
From: BJ8 Healeys
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----

Rudy Streng
100/Six Registrar

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:38:48 -0400

Healeydata does a very good job and is an excellent source for information
on the cars themselves.  I wish I had more time to visit that site more
often, but there are also just too many other good sources that I can't
check them all frequently enough (e.g., eBay, eBay UK, Hemmings, AHCA,
dealer websites, and others) and still have a life.  I have tried.  But as
the healeydata.com site explains, it makes no guarantee that the data there
is correct.  Anyone can input the information, including someone who just
bought a car with scrambled identities or someone who just entered a bunch
of typos or made something up.  Healeydata will not tell them there is a
problem with the numbers entered, nor will it notify someone that the car
stolen from them 42 years ago has just turned up on eBay, as the BJ8
registry did last year.

I can't speak for the other model registries, but the BJ8 registry actively
uses the data provided to help owners with questions or problems with their
own cars.  Neither healeydata nor any other "registry" sites will do that,
to my knowledge.  By the way, the BJ8 registry just entered its 8000th car
this morning.  Healeydata says it has information on 1,886 Healeys (not just
BJ8s).

My fantasy is that every BJ8 owner in the world will automatically feed me
the information about their car (http://www.britishcarforum.com/bj8quest)
when they buy it and when they sell it, or when they go to a car show and
see one.  I will be the operator of the BJ8 clearinghouse -- documenting the
details, using them to develop statistics that help us learn more about how
the cars were originally manufactured, and how they are configured and
distributed around the world today, answering all questions put to me,
helping to solve all problems that I can.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Niels Bengaard [mailto:[email-masked]]

[email-masked]