Subject: [Healeys] Words of wisdom---BJ8 gear lever socket replacement

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 16:52:17 -0400

Since I will soon need to replace this item, I wanted to ask if there are those who have done this and are willing to give me some do's and don'ts about it.  I'm hoping I'll be able to remove the gearbox cover and slip the old socket off and new socket on the rod without moving any of the gears.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks
tom
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 17:30:14 -0700

Tom:

Just went out to the garage and had a look at my BJ8 gearbox / overdrive, 
which has been 'parked' on my garage floor for awhile - I run a Smitty 
Toyota 5-speed now.

You should not have to remove the gearbox top cover.  The gear lever socket 
should be quite accessible with the tunnel cover out of the car.  It uses a 
pinch bolt to secure it to the shift control rod, and a woodruff key to 
locate in the exact spot.  It should pull off the rear of the shift rod 
without too much trouble - with the pinch bolt completely removed.

If the white nylon bush seems a bit loose on the gear lever knob, it's 
probably not a big deal.  Once it is located in the new socket (presumably 
not worn), there really isn't anyplace for it to go - it has to expand in 
order to fall off.  You'll probably be really pleased with the way it shifts 
after driving with a loose linkage for some time!
Let us know how it goes.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tom Felts
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Words of wisdom---BJ8 gear lever socket replacement

Since I will soon need to replace this item, I wanted to ask if there are 
those who have done this and are willing to give me some do's and don'ts 
about it.  I'm hoping I'll be able to remove the gearbox cover and slip the 
old socket off and new socket on the rod without moving any of the gears.

thanks
tom

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:53:52 -0400

Thanks Earl and Perry----you have truly given me the info I need and it is greatly appreciated.  I'm looking very forward to shifting with a new socket----I couldn't believe how wallowed out mine is.

tom
---- Earl Kagna <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
Tom:

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tom Felts
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Words of wisdom---BJ8 gear lever socket replacement

thanks
tom

[email-masked]