Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6/3000 overrive dash switch - Lucas?

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:54:13 +0200

It is a Lucas switch, however the knob may be unique to Austin 
Healey/BMC, hence the BMC part number. Could it be that the MG switch is 
identical? The label is very similar but the tekst is on the opposite side.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 11-4-2013 9:16, [email-masked] schreef:
> Is the overdrive switch on the dash of the BN4/6/7/BT7 a Lucas switch?  I
> can't find anything in the Lucas books listing the number.  I just have the
> BMC number, 1B9030.  Odd!
>
>   - Paul B.
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2013.0.3272 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6237 - datum van uitgifte: 04/10/13
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 16:26:31 -0700

Paul & Kees,

The early dash overdrive switches (BN1s through BT7s) while having a Lucas
part number where in fact made by other vendors, "ARCOELECTRIC" and "ARROW"
to be specific.

In fact I have and NOS Lucas overdrive switch in the box, but the NOS
switch inside is made by ARROW.  The Lucas part no. on the box is 31452 and
is correct as listed in the period Lucas catalogs for the 100s.  This
switch is for the early BN1s up to around early to mid 1954 and had a very
short toggle with a ball end plus the wires were soldered on verses being
attached with screws.

The later BN1 switches were made by ARCO ELECTRIC and and had a similar
short toggle but tapered like the later switch toggles. It's bakelite base
was much smaller like the ARROW switch but it now had brass screws to
attach the two wires.

Starting with the BN2 through the BT7s the switches were the familiar long
toggle type with a bigger Bakelite base also made by ARCO ELECTRIC.

Now the question is... was ARCO ELECTRIC part of LUCAS or a contracted
vendor

Paul and Kees, see photos, and yes I know the list strips photos, so the
rest of you will have to request that I send these to you.

Cheers,

Curt

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

VERY cool!  So, if the earliest switch, the Arrow switch, is in a Lucas box
with 31452 on it, are you saying that the later switches are also 31452, but
again just not Lucas switches in the box, or are the later switches totally
not Lucas in manufacture or box?
It's odd, for the overdrives, Lucas makes the wiring, the throttle switch, the
isolation switch, and the solenoid, but NOT the switch to turn it all on?
Odd.

Thanks for the photos - they made it all very clear!
 - Paul B.

-----Original Message-----
From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
To: fiat500f <[email-masked]>; Oudesluys <[email-masked]>; Healey
List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Apr 11, 2013 7:22 pm
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6/3000 overrive dash switch - Lucas?

Paul & Kees,

The early dash overdrive switches (BN1s through BT7s) while having a Lucas
part number where in fact made by other vendors, "ARCOELECTRIC" and "ARROW" to
be specific.

In fact I have and NOS Lucas overdrive switch in the box, but the NOS switch
inside is made by ARROW.  The Lucas part no. on the box is 31452 and is
correct as listed in the period Lucas catalogs for the 100s.  This switch is
for the early BN1s up to around early to mid 1954 and had a very short toggle
with a ball end plus the wires were soldered on verses being attached with
screws.

The later BN1 switches were made by ARCO ELECTRIC and and had a similar short
toggle but tapered like the later switch toggles. It's Bakelite base was much
smaller like the ARROW switch but it now had brass screws to attach the two
wires.

Now the question is... was ARCO ELECTRIC part of LUCAS or a contracted vendor

Paul and Kees, see photos, and yes I know the list strips photos, so the rest
of you will have to request that I send these to you.

Cheers,

Curt

 - Paul B.

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 05:06:51 +0000

I was on the road headed to the Glenwood Springs Rallye in 2002 and my
overdrive was cutting out. For some reason I thought it might be the switch. I
wandered into the Ace Hardware store in Alamosa, Colorado and found a switch
just like my OEM switch. It is identical in every way and can't be
distinguished from the one it replaced. As I recall I paid $3.50 for it. it
didn't fix the problem...

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554

> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 01:43:14 -0400
to
> In fact I have and NOS Lucas overdrive switch in the box, but the NOS
switch
> The later BN1 switches were made by ARCO ELECTRIC and and had a similar
short
vendor
> Paul and Kees, see photos, and yes I know the list strips photos, so the
rest
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 16:22:51 -0700

Paul & Kees,

Cheers,

Curt

> can't find anything in the Lucas books listing the number.  I just have the

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_4465.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_4463.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of IMG_4464.JPG]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:30:59 +0200

Curt, Paul,

Thanks for the pictures Curt, better than a thousand words.
These are indeed not Lucas made switches and totally different to the 
one I expected and had seen on an AH here during a classic British car 
show or perhaps in the Healey Museum. That was the standard Lucas switch 
as fitted to Jaguar, Landrover, MG, Triumph and loads of other British 
cars, some with a curved plastic toggle like in the MG.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 12-4-2013 1:22, Curtis Arndt schreef:
> Paul & Kees,
>
> The early dash overdrive switches (BN1s through BT7s) while having a 
> Lucas part number where in fact made by other vendors, "ARCOELECTRIC" 
> and "ARROW" to be specific.
>
> switch inside is made by ARROW.  The Lucas part no. on the box is 
> 31452 and is correct as listed in the period Lucas catalogs for the 
> 100s.  This switch is for the early BN1s up to around early to mid 
> 1954 and had a very short toggle with a ball end plus the wires were 
> soldered on verses being attached with screws.
>
> The later BN1 switches were made by ARCO ELECTRIC and and had a 
> similar short toggle but tapered like the later switch toggles. It's 
> bakelite base was much smaller like the ARROW switch but it now had 
> brass screws to attach the two wires.
>
> Starting with the BN2 through the BT7s the switches were the familiar 
> long toggle type with a bigger Bakelite base also made by ARCO ELECTRIC.
>
> Paul and Kees, see photos, and yes I know the list strips photos, so 
> the rest of you will have to request that I send these to you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Curt
>
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM, <[email-masked] 
>
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2013.0.3272 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6238 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 04/11/13
>

-- 
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
2995XG Heerjansdam
T: 078-677 1233
E: [email-masked]

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 05:17:16 -0700

Paul & Kees,

I just checked my Lucas 400 Series Master Parts Catalog 1945-1960, and
strangely, the "Control Switch" for the Overdrive is only listed for the
Austin Healey 100 & 100M 1954-'56 as *31452A*.  The Austin Healey 100 six
(BN4-BN6) 1957-'59 and the Austin Healey 3000 1959-'60 *do not* list an
overdrive control switch???

If anyone has a Lucas catalog for the early six cylinder roadsters that
list a part number for the overdrive dash control switch, I would be
interested in knowing what is listed.

BTW I have found only one NOS Lucas overdrive switch in the box over the
past 25 years, and it was the earliest switch made by "ARROW".  I have
found this identical switch on every original early BN1 I have examined, so
I am confident it is correct.  We also know that the later short toggle
switch "ARCO ELECTRIC" was used on the BN1s from mid '54 until introduction
of the BN2 when the long toggle "ARCO ELECTRIC" switch was introduced.

I do not have any Lucas catalogs or references for the later 3000
convertibles.

And yes Lucas can be "Odd".

Cheers,

Curt

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  VERY cool!  So, if the earliest switch, the Arrow switch, is in a Lucas
> box with 31452 on it, are you saying that the later switches are also
> 31452, but again just not Lucas switches in the box, or are the later
> switches totally not Lucas in manufacture or box?
> It's odd, for the overdrives, Lucas makes the wiring, the throttle switch,
> the isolation switch, and the solenoid, but NOT the switch to turn it all
> on?  Odd.
>
> To: fiat500f <[email-masked]>; Oudesluys <[email-masked]>;
> Healey List <[email-masked]>

[email-masked]