Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:24:36 -0400

Nor would the AHCA 100 Registry reveal any ownership info.

Randy Hicks
AHCA 100 Registrar
[email-masked]

On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:05 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> There have been cases in the past when someone 'created' a rare Healey by
> searching the other registry and using a special VIN and creating a plate to
> place into their car.  That's why I don't reveal any information about cars
> within my 100/Six Registry.
>
> Rudy Streng
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:16:31 -0400

I have a different philosophy, Rudy.  One BJ8 is pretty much the same as
another and there isn't any incentive for someone to "create" a special car
by ginning up a "special" VIN.  However, as I've noted on the list in the
past, there are a LOT of BJ8s out there now with the VIN plate from one car,
the body plate from another, the engine from a third, and perhaps an
entirely different number on the shock tower.  That is true even of cars
that have surfaced professionally restored by "name" restorers.  Without the
registries documenting details and monitoring that kind of thing, many
owners would never know that the car they own is not what they think it is.
Actually, it would have been beneficial for them, before buying it, to check
with the registry to see what information is recorded.

I personally don't see what value there is at all in recording the details
of the cars in a registry, unless it is used for the benefit of the people
who own them.  I will release the details of ANY car in the BJ8 registry to
anyone who asks.
As far as the names and contact information for the prior or later owners, I
will release it ONLY to a legitimate owner of the same car.  Most BJ8 owners
are very interested in the ownership history of their cars, and I have never
had a complaint from anyone in 15 years that some other owner of their car
made contact with them.  Generally, they are thrilled to know the car still
exists and where it is.  It is a wasted effort to document the ownership
history if it can't be used.  What people DON'T want is for their personal
data to be published, or used for some commercial purpose). 
 
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 12:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry

Rudy Streng

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:40:45 -0400

It begs the question of how many new owners know that a registry exists? I
didn't until long after I bought my car and joined this list which I found
by accident.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of BJ8 Healeys
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry

 
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----

Rudy Streng
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:08:51 -0700

Many decades ago 3-4 I worked for a shop in LA. We had a box with vin/body
#s in it. We bought wrecks and rebuilt cars that often had no vin plate. We
would grab a vin and screw it to the dash. Theses were old cars. we would
put a good engine in the bay of one with a blown engine.  I paid $500.00
for mine in 1975. Some of those cars are still out there. No criminal
intent, Just tried to get as many cars back on the road. My BT7 is
registered as a 100-6.... But that's another story.
Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM, BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:21:28 -0400

John, I suppose that any owner who does not join one of the two national
Healey clubs will not know about the registries unless they are told by
someone, or stumble onto it as you did.  Both clubs publish a list of
registries in their magazines.  I leave a BJ8 Registry "business" card in
every BJ8 I can't identify when I go to British car events.  Unfortunately,
those rarely seem to generate any response.  I think the importance of
documenting each car is more visible to the registrars than it is to most
owners.  It's a bit frustrating to me to consider that people can decide not
to support the BJ8 registry without first giving me a chance to describe the
benefits of doing so.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA

-----Original Message-----
From: John Sims [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:41 PM
To: 'BJ8 Healeys'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Registry

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:35:34 -0400

That kind of thing was the reason for my comment a few days ago about why
manufacturers seem so casual sometimes with putting VINs and serial numbers
in vulnerable places, or otherwise not permanently marking the cars and
parts in more than one place with its original identity.  I know of one DMV
that gave an owner a hard time with registration because the VIN plate was
attached only by screws.
I wasn't saying that all cars turning up with mismatched identity plates got
that way by criminal intent.  But in all cases it WAS intent to deceive
someone about the correct identity of the car, if only to make them think
the body plate on the firewall was its original.  And yes, I appreciate that
sometimes deceiving the DMV is the only way to get another car back on the
road.
 
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA
 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of I Erbs
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:09 PM
To: BJ8 Healeys
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry
 
Many decades ago 3-4 I worked for a shop in LA. We had a box with vin/body
#s in it. We bought wrecks and rebuilt cars that often had no vin plate. We
would grab a vin and screw it to the dash. Theses were old cars. we would
put a good engine in the bay of one with a blown engine.  I paid $500.00 for
mine in 1975. Some of those cars are still out there. No criminal intent,
Just tried to get as many cars back on the road. My BT7 is registered as a
100-6.... But that's another story.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mike Garvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:45:03 -0400

I am a newcomer to the Healey "family" and learned of the BJ8 Registry when
I was shopping for a car last year; I was referred to the BJ8 Registry by an
officer of AHCA. 
Steve Byers was a big help in understanding the provenance of the car(s) I
found.  I think that the authenticity of the Registry is of great value, as
is Steve's willingness and effort to make data available.
I have looked at Healeydata.com; I find the images interesting, but the lack
of authenticity is a serious shortcoming from my perspective.

Mike

Michael Garvey
1967 BJ8/38046
Swampscott, MA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of BJ8 Healeys
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA

-----Original Message-----
From: John Sims [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:41 PM
To: 'BJ8 Healeys'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Registry

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 23:03:11 +0200

Hi
We have a 3000 in Sweden with a chassienumber of DMV36854CA. Apparantly 
it had an accident, and the chassienumber was issued by the High Way 
Patrol in California. Sorry, have not seen the car so dont know the 
model, it's not a BJ7/8 anyway. It has 3 carbs, so could be a BT7 MkII.

Per in Sweden

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:20:02 -0700

I have a friend who had an experience of buying an "original" e type several
years ago and later sold it to a European buyer. In the process of the new
owner doing a rebuild, it was found that another "original" e Type was already
registered with the same number in Germany. Caveat emptor...Richard of KY BN7
#440
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]