Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tip - Shock Colour

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:27:17 +1000

G'day

On the subject of Armstrong shocks, what is the current flavour as to the
correct colour for an early BN1?

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Wednesday, 10 April 2013 8:31 AM
To: healeylist
Subject: [Healeys] Tip

I might be the last one to figure this out, but just in case there's someone
denser than me on the List ...

Our Armstrong shocks--owners with newfangled tube shocks can hit delete
now--should be periodically checked and topped up with fluid.  According to
shock expert Peter Caldwell, there should be a bit of head room above the
oil level in the shock.  For years, I've been filling to the top of the
hole, or at least until I could see the fluid level then 'extracting' some
of the fluid with a paper towel.  Today, it dawned on me that I needed some
sort of dipstick to measure the level, so I wouldn't be wasting fluid and,
worse yet, making extra work for myself.  For years, I've been, uh,
appropriating some the the wooden coffee stirrers you see at places like
Starbucks--hey, if you're paying $6 for a cup of coffee ...--for mixing
epoxy.  They're a little long, so if you snap them into 2 or 3 inch pieces
they are the perfect size for dipsticking the fluid level in the shocks (I
suppose toothpicks would work as well, but the fluid may be less visible).

Bob

--
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Peter Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:07:11 -0500

Or blue  or bronze.... depending on what the marketing department at 
Armstrong was up to.....

     Peter C

At 05:39 AM 4/10/2013, Larry Varley wrote:
>Re shock colour, I think the consensus is black when fitted to the 
>car, however the Armstrong colour was green, just to add a little 
>confusion :) I suppose it makes sense not to completely fill the 
>shock due to heat expansion of the fluid.
>See link, below.
>Cheers
>Larry Varley
>  http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/page6.html
>
>On 10/04/2013 7:27 PM, Patrick & Caroline Quinn wrote:
>>G'day
>>

[email-masked]