Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-S Engine

From: "Freese, Ken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:41:44 +0000

The 100S engine number is stamped on the pad at the top of the block. Usually
it gets machined away when the top of the block is decked for flatness. You
might take a rubbing or an ultra sound or a penetrant inspection to make the
number visible. If you also have the transmission, then you can figure out the
engine from the transmission number. Geoff Healey's book has the cross
reference table for 100S serial numbers.
Perhaps the carb serial numbers might be traceable, but have never tried that
tack before.
Ken Freese
Ex 100S Registrar

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jim Werner
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] 100-S Engine

I am working with a local museum that accepted a donation of a one-owner 100
with a 100-S engine fitted. I know the owner (now Deceased) bought the engine
in England in 1962 and fitted it to the car.

There is no engine number on the engine. Where else should I look for clues as
to the history on this engine? Any routine stampings for 100-S, special
features etc that could give me a clue to it's history?

How unusual is it to find a 100-S engine in a 100? I know of two.

Jim Werner
Louisville, KY
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:15:50 -0400

"The 100S engine number is stamped on the pad at the top of the block.
Usually it gets machined away when the top of the block is decked for
flatness." 
 
It is truly amazing to me that the designers and builders of Healeys were so
casual (care-less?) about where and how they put the various serial and
identity numbers on the cars and parts.  Surely they weren't ignorant of the
importance of the cars and parts retaining their original identities, but I
can't imagine why they didn't put all the numbers permanently on the items
and in a less-vulnerable place?  Perhaps it isn't entirely fair to pick on
Healeys because I have a PT Cruiser that has no number at all where the book
says the engine number should be.  And my '69 Dodge Charger has its serial
number at the join line between the block and the oil pan and half its
height has been machined away.  I'm the original owner, so it came that way
from the factory.  
 
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 22:45:08 +0000

"Surely they weren't ignorant of the importance..."

I respectfully beg to differ. I recall hearing that either Donald or Goeff on
being asked this very question responded "We didn't think anyone would ever
ask." While the cars were being built they were much more interested in
getting them out the door and sold than in worrying about a place in history.
I think when viewed from that perspective their accomplishments are all the
more remarkable. It's easy to see the greatness of the cars and their genesis
in retrospect, but we didn't have to live through the arduous process of
making it all happen.

Bill Lawrence

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:15:50 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-S Engine
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]