Subject: Re: [Healeys] BMC Plate

From: "Niels Bengaard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 21:51:21 +0200

It4s placed here on my BJ8.
http://healey.850r.dk/albums/Picture%20Album/album/ID/slides/DSCF0093.jpg

Niels

-----Oprindelig meddelelse----- 
From: Andy
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] BMC Plate

My  1961 Austin Healey 3000 MkII BT7, can pretty much as a partially
stripped chassis and a few boxes of bits, but that is another storey !!.

Whist sorting through said boxes, I came across a small, rectangular black
plate with a screw hole at either side, inscribed "BMC - 62", see photo
below.  Can any-one tell me where on the car this is from?

IMG_2000.JPG

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of 
image001.jpg]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:00:52 -0400

The tags were added only to cars that were imported into California, as far
as I have been able to determine.  California law required that the
manufacturer of a vehicle and the year of manufacture be identified on the
car.  Since there were no codes in the VIN for such items, the tags were
added.  I also have not determined whether the tags were installed at the
factory, or only after they reached California (e.g., by dealers or
distributors).
The tags typically were attached with the inboard screw that also attached
the VIN to the firewall.  I've attached photos showing this for BJ8s.  

As a side note, California also had a habit of adding the two-digit "year of
manufacture" to the front of the VIN on titles, which has caused problems
for owners in other states and countries in getting the cars registered when
the paperwork didn't match the VIN exactly.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] BMC Plate

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of BMC-64 tag.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of BMC-65 tag.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of BMC-66 tag.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of BMC-67 tag.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 13:32:38 -0700

If anyone has an extra "BMC-62" plate I could use one. Cant' seem to find them.

John Spaur

[email-masked]