Subject: Re: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:38:40 +0200

Leaking right rear brake cylinder. 

	  Von: "Tim Ward" <[email-masked]>
 An: <[email-masked]>
 Betreff: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes
 Datum: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:24:22 +0200

 Hi Team

 Your usual good advice will be greatly appreciated.

 My BJ8 failed its annual Test this morning due to very unbalanced
Rear
 Brakes. The Front brakes were virtually perfect.

 The Brakes were tested on a rolling road, front first and then the
rear. The
 Left Rear showed normal Braking efficiency with normal pedal
pressure. Right
 Rear showed below normal braking efficiency with very  hard pedal
pressure.
 Used together the Right Brake was almost non existent, and therefore
the
 very unbalanced result.

 Any thoughts as to what might be the reason for this? 

 In the past they have always been a little unbalanced, but within the
 acceptable range.

 Looking forward to your replies.

 Thanks

 Tim

 Tim Ward

 Warwick House

 12 Mill Road

 Kislingbury

 NN7 4BB

 Tel: 07855 388 751

 www.sixsigmaworks.co.uk

 www.Shuttermagic.co.uk

 www.kislingburyonline.co.uk

 [
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:49:05 +0200

Hi
Something is probably leaking out of the rear axle, either rear axle oil 
or brake fluid. Look on the inside of the wheel, it's probably wet.
Either way, you have to start with removing the brake drum.

Per in Sweden

Tim Ward skrev 2013-04-16 13:24:

> My BJ8 failed its annual Test this morning due to very unbalanced Rear

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Ward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:02:15 +0100

Hi Josef

There is no sign of any fluid leaking either on the tyre, or the floor, or
around the back of the hub.

I will check it when I take off the hub

Thanks

Tim

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 16 April 2013 12:39 PM
To: Tim Ward; Forum Healeys
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

Hi Team

The Brakes were tested on a rolling road, front first and then the rear. The
Left Rear showed normal Braking efficiency with normal pedal pressure. Right
Rear showed below normal braking efficiency with very hard pedal pressure.
Used together the Right Brake was almost non existent, and therefore the
very unbalanced result.

Thanks

Tim

Tim Ward

Warwick House

12 Mill Road

Kislingbury

NN7 4BB

Tel: 07855 388 751

www.sixsigmaworks.co.uk

www.Shuttermagic.co.uk

[

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Ward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:03:26 +0100

Hi Per
I will check this when I take off the drum, though at the moment there is no
sign of any fluid leak anywhere

Thanks

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Per Schoerner
Sent: 16 April 2013 12:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

Hi
Something is probably leaking out of the rear axle, either rear axle oil or
brake fluid. Look on the inside of the wheel, it's probably wet.
Either way, you have to start with removing the brake drum.

Per in Sweden

> Any thoughts as to what might be the reason for this?
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:06:12 +0200

Brake cylinder rusted in? I assume You didnt used it during the winter.

Gergo

2013/4/16 Tim Ward <[email-masked]>

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 06:21:20 -0700

Couple SWAGs:

- something restricting flow to the wheel cylinder?

- Healey drum brakes use a 'servo' action, where the leading shoe pushes against and assists the trailing shoe.  If the 
wheel cylinder can't slide easily this could be impeded.  Check that the wheel cylinder can slide easily in its slot.

Bob

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Ward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:06:14 +0100

Hi Gergo

Once or twice, so yes maybe it is affected after sitting for about 5 months.
I will check when I take the drum off

Thanks

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Austin Healey
Sent: 16 April 2013 2:06 PM
Cc: Forum Healeys
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

Gergo

> Hi Josef
>
> There is no sign of any fluid leaking either on the tyre, or the 
> floor, or around the back of the hub.
>
>
>
> the very unbalanced result.
>
>
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual 
> donation  $12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:09:06 -0500

There are several bore sizes of wheel cylinders that otherwise look 
identical. I have seen the "mixed" on a few cars.  Suggest you check 
them. They are sometimes stamped with the bore diameter.
         Peter C

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Ward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:09:00 +0100

Hi Bob 
I got the guy to look at the pipe to see if it was showing any sign of
damage that could restrict flow. There was nothing, but the angle that it
was attached to the cylinder was quite acute and he wondered if that was
causing a small restriction in flow. He also mentioned that the cylinder
should slide easily and I will check that when I take a look.

Thanks

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Spidell [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 16 April 2013 2:21 PM
To: Tim Ward
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

Couple SWAGs:

- Healey drum brakes use a 'servo' action, where the leading shoe pushes
against and assists the trailing shoe.  If the wheel cylinder can't slide
easily this could be impeded.  Check that the wheel cylinder can slide
easily in its slot.

Bob

On 4/16/2013 4:24 AM, Tim Ward wrote:
> rear. The Left Rear showed normal Braking efficiency with normal pedal 
> pressure. Right Rear showed below normal braking efficiency with very
hard pedal pressure.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Ward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:41:08 +0100

Hi Peter
I will check, though it is a long shot I think as the car was restored in
the UK by a very good restorer, and the brakes have been fine until this
year.

Thanks

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Peter Caldwell
Sent: 16 April 2013 3:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

There are several bore sizes of wheel cylinders that otherwise look
identical. I have seen the "mixed" on a few cars.  Suggest you check them.
They are sometimes stamped with the bore diameter.
         Peter C

At 06:24 AM 4/16/2013, Tim Ward wrote:
>pressure. Right Rear showed below normal braking efficiency with very  hard
pedal pressure.
$12.75

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:54:19 -0700

Have you checked to see if the drum is out of round or the springs have
lost their tension? or if the shoes need to be rearced?
Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Tim Ward <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:51:18 -0400

My first thought was perhaps a collapsed hose.

Bob Johnson
On Apr 16, 2013 10:55 AM, "I Erbs" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Donaldson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:09:35 +1200

Tim,

I had the same problem two years ago in the tri-carb.  Right rear
also.
In my case there was a fine film of oil on the swept area inside the
drum but none visible outside with it still in place.
On removing the half-shaft I could feel a little 'noise' in the
bearing and also see a tiny amount of run-out in the hub. As a result
the oil seal had worn, causing a tiny leak . .  but big enough to
reduce braking efficiency by about 75%.

A new bearing, oil seal and gasket fixed the problem.  At the same
time I replaced the linings on both sides and had them radiused to
match the drums.
BIG improvement.

Mark
Auckland, NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Ward [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, 16 April 2013 11:24 p.m.
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

Hi Team

The Brakes were tested on a rolling road, front first and then the
rear. The
Left Rear showed normal Braking efficiency with normal pedal pressure.
Right
Rear showed below normal braking efficiency with very  hard pedal
pressure.
Used together the Right Brake was almost non existent, and therefore
the
very unbalanced result.

Thanks

Tim

Tim Ward

Warwick House

12 Mill Road

Kislingbury

NN7 4BB

Tel: 07855 388 751

www.sixsigmaworks.co.uk

www.Shuttermagic.co.uk

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a
name of image001.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim Ward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:19:29 +0100

Hi Mark
After a lot of research and discussion I think what happened to you is also
my problem.

I would try to do the job myself but I don't have enough space on the side
of the car in my workshop to change the oil seal. So it is off to my
restorer, Peter Ellis in Northampton, next week to be sorted out.

Hopefully with a similar good result

Thanks for your reply

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Donaldson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 18 April 2013 3:10 AM
To: 'Tim Ward'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

Tim,

I had the same problem two years ago in the tri-carb.  Right rear also.
In my case there was a fine film of oil on the swept area inside the drum
but none visible outside with it still in place.
On removing the half-shaft I could feel a little 'noise' in the bearing and
also see a tiny amount of run-out in the hub. As a result the oil seal had
worn, causing a tiny leak . .  but big enough to reduce braking efficiency
by about 75%.

A new bearing, oil seal and gasket fixed the problem.  At the same time I
replaced the linings on both sides and had them radiused to match the drums.
BIG improvement.

Mark
Auckland, NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Ward [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 April 2013 11:24 p.m.
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Unbalanced Rear Brakes

Hi Team

Thanks

Tim

Tim Ward

Warwick House

12 Mill Road

Kislingbury

NN7 4BB

Tel: 07855 388 751

www.sixsigmaworks.co.uk

www.Shuttermagic.co.uk

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
image001.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]