Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steve McQueen and Healeys

From: Jean Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 02:08:18 +0000

I believe that the Healey they are referring to is a square body Sprite, just
saw a photo of it in an old magazine about one month ago while it was racing
in Sebring.

Jean

> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 18:46:19 -0700
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Healeys] Steve McQueen and Healeys
>
> OK, who knows the scoop about Steve McQueen driving a 'LeMans Healey' (I
assume this was the custom Healey racer).
>
> *http://tinyurl.com/csye83l*
>
> Bob
>
> --
> *******************************************************************
> Bob Spidell San Jose, CA [email-masked]
>
> *******************************************************************
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/vintage_roadster_restoration@ho
tmail.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Neil Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 22:13:26 -0500

This should have gone to the list, as well as Bob Spidell.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Neil Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steve McQueen and Healeys
To: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>

Steve McQueen drove in both the 12 Hour and the 4 Hour races at Sebring in
1962.  He did co-drive a "Le Mans Healey" Sprite in the 12 Hour with John
Colgate.  It was registered as 1411 WD.  The car DNF due to engine
failure.  It was the only Healey in the race.  As to the statement that it
led the race for seven hours, I seriously doubt that, as there were much
faster cars in the race.  It may have led its class for that length of
time.  So, I guess more research is necessary.

The 1411 WD Sprite had raced at Le Mans (thus the Le Mans moniker) in 1961
with John Colgate and Paul Hawkins co-driving, but DNF with engine
failure.  This Sprite was a prototype alloy body designed by Les Ireland.
See some images and some history of the car here.  http//sebringsprite.com/
1411WD.html <http://sebringsprite.com/1411WD.html>

In the 1962 4-Hour race McQueen drove one (9251 WD) of four identical Ice
Blue MK II Sprites, each having a DHMC hardtop.  McQueen finished 9th in
GT1.  The other drivers: Stirling Moss finished 3rd in GT1, Pedro
Rodriguez, 6th, and Innes Ireland, 7th.  See additional info and images
here.  http://sebringsprite.com/mark2sebrings.html

Neil Anderson
BT7
Bugeye project

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ***********************************************************************
> ***********************************************************************
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/neilandcustom@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]