Subject: [Healeys] Ammeter & voltmeter

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 07:18:36 +0100

I've received much sage advice from this list and now I'm after some
more.....

Opinions differ as to whether one is better off with an ammeter or a volt
meter. Opinions differ again if one has an alternator in place of the
generator.

"Why not have both?", someone asked. And I'm going to.

I had an ammeter with my generator and nothing much will change there. But
the voltmeter?....

Can I connect one of the voltmeter's two terminals to either of the
ammeter's two terminals and the other of the voltmeter's two terminals to
earth? As the gauges will be together in the same bracket, it seems sensible
to take the 12v feed from the ammeter. Or am I wrong?

Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 09:23:04 +0200

Simon,
You can take any fused live 12V feed you like as long as is fed through 
the ignition lock. So the 12V supply to your ammeter is not suitable as 
this is a direct feed from the battery/generator, with the only bypass 
for the starter engine.
The voltmeter will draw some current, only a few mA, so when the engine 
is switched of you do not want to power it.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 20-4-2013 8:18, Simon Lachlan schreef:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2013.0.3272 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6256 - datum van uitgifte: 04/19/13

[email-masked]