Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive installation

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 09:08:58 -0600

Lift the bridge rails then rotate shaft until the splines PERFECTLY align..
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:31 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] overdrive installation

I am about to mate my overdrive to the transmission. When viewed from the OD
output flange looking forward (toward the front of the car), which direction
can I safely rotate the flange without causing misalignment of the two sets
of
splines that slide on to the main shaft?
Thanks,
Gary Hodson
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 18:17:29 +0200

Perfect means perfect, otherwise it wont mate. Been there done that...

G

2013/5/12 David Porter <[email-masked]>

> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:03:40 -0700

The splines can easily misalgin regardless of rotation. I believe the 
inner spline rotates freely and the rear one rotates by the flange 
but both of them will move when the flange is rotated. If you don't 
have an alignment tool you can use a long screw driver to rotate and 
line up the splines. I belive counter clockwise when you are looking 
at the splines. Then rotate the flange to align it with the 
transmission output shaft. You have to look into the OD and rotate 
the splines to have a low or high point that corresponds with the 
output shaft. It is best to have the tranny upright with the 
bellhousing resting on some wood blocks on the floor. You can then 
set the OD down onto it and that will help compress the springs. If 
you mate them horizontally you may need a couple of large C clamps to 
pull them together if the starter bolts are not long enough. If you 
feel any binding at all, stop compressing, take them apart and 
realign the splines. If everything is lined up properly you will be 
able to feel it because they will slip together smoothly.

John Spaur

At 09:31 AM 5/12/2013 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>can I safely rotate the flange without causing misalignment of the two sets of
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]