Subject: [Healeys] Advice sought..Dash colour.

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:16:16 -0400

I'm sure some of you have read my blog post regarding the original dash
colour the early BN1 I'm restoring.
If not you can read it here <http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=911>.
I have now got the car back from paint and although I had pretty well
decided to paint the dash in dark blue I'm having second thoughts.
Now that I can see the original Healey Grey on the car I can appreciate why
the original dash may have been painted bright red/orange (persimmon). The
colour looks absolutely stunning next to the grey.
One of the most memorable cars I ever saw was a huge American tourer, I
think it was a
Duesenberg at the Meadowbrook Concours in the mid 90's. That car was
painted in the most amazing grey and orange tartan, and even more amazing,
it was the original paint scheme!!!
Should I paint the dash persimmon?
I'm pretty convinced that that was the original colour.
I would really appreciate some input.

Michael Salter
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 01:17:08 -0400 (EDT)

You've stated you really like it, it's only paint and it's your car.  When 
I talked with Gerry Coker many years ago, he stated what made many of the  
folks happy at Austin-Healey were the car owners making these cars their own. 
 Are you going to have your car judged or are you going to drive it? My 
dash is a  two piece, red and black. I'm pretty darn sure it came this way, but 
I  can't say 100 per cent certain, but I'm keeping it that way.My point 
being, make  it the way it makes you feel the best. Personally I think it 
sounds like an  awesome combination and would love to see it. But then I'm really 
looking  forward to seeing the one Pink and Black 100 I've seen pictures of 
in my  lifetime. Have fun with it.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598 

Michael Salter

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 12:39:53 -0700 (PDT)

Personally, I would just chuck the persimmon idea and go with dark blue
interior and a dark blue dash.  If you paint the dash persimmon, you can
always paint it dark blue later.  The seats you will have to recover if you
don't like the combination.  Your car paint the dash and cover the seats any
color combination you think will make you happy.  You're the one sitting in
the cockpit staring at the interior.
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5

--- On Thu, 5/30/13, Michael Salter <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Advice sought..Dash colour.
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2013, 7:22 PM

Further to this thread I should mention that there were no seats in the car
when I got it so I have no idea what colour they were.
The remnants of the boot liner were dark blue and there was what I believe
to be some dark blue leatherette in the doors and little bits of dark blue
carpet in a few spots.
I'm pretty sure that the interior was therefore dark blue.
I have no idea about the seats or the top.
It has been suggested that persimmon dash would look odd with blue seats,
how about persimmon seats with blue or grey piping and the rest of the
interior dark blue..
I'm grasping here guys...humor me!!!

Michael S

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Michael Salter
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Now that I can see the original Healey Grey on the car I can appreciate
> why the original dash may have been painted bright red/orange (persimmon).
> The colour looks absolutely stunning next to the grey.

--
Michael Salter

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:33:19 -0700 (PDT)

I would keep the persimmon dash and put persimmon piping on dark blue seats.
Ken Freese

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael MacLean" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], "Michael Salter" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:39:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Advice sought..Dash colour.

Michael S

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]