Subject: [Healeys] Universal joints

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:18:22 +0100

Hi,

Is there a practicable way of checking the UJs whilst they are in situ? 

What are the signs of wear?

Does one normally replace them as a pair? (Mine are not a pair; one has a
nipple whilst the other does not).

How long do these things normally last in moderately used and well
maintained conditions?

Any other UJ points that I've neglected....?

Am going on a long trip soon and am getting a bit paranoid about what to
service/replace etcetc.

Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 18:27:13 +0200

With the engine not working, engage into top gear. Lie under the car. Put
Your hand carefuly on the UJ. Ask somebody to push the car a bit. Dont push
the car too much, realy just move it a bit foreward and back. With some
practice You will be able to feel if there is any play in the UJ.
Be carefull with Your hand.

Gergo

2013/5/30 Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]>

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 18:34:28 +0200

Properly maintained/greased UV-joints last nearly a lifetime with 
moderate use. Grip the two axle parts and twist while feeling for play. 
In general this is easy to feel. Replacing them is very straight forward 
although check that the cups do not rotate in the yokes. If they do use 
locktite or similar while fitting them to fix them in the yoke. If one 
is gone it is best to replace the other one as well. Try to get ones 
with a grease nipple. Plenty on offer on ebay but the local NAPA parts 
store is probably well able to supply them.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:03:31 -0700

After all the years and all the thousands of u-joints I have checked, the
only sure way is to unbolt the flange from the transmission/rear axle and
rotate the the joint manually through it's range of motion.
Before a joint fails, it gets stiff, and you won't be able to detect that
with the joint in place.
Rick

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Properly maintained/greased UV-joints last nearly a lifetime with moderate
> use. Grip the two axle parts and twist while feeling for play. In general
> this is easy to feel. Replacing them is very straight forward although
> check that the cups do not rotate in the yokes. If they do use locktite or
> similar while fitting them to fix them in the yoke. If one is gone it is
> best to replace the other one as well. Try to get ones with a grease
> nipple. Plenty on offer on ebay but the local NAPA parts store is probably
> well able to supply them.
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/richard.ewald@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:07:53 -0700

yes, I would replace as a pair.
 Get under car, grab drive shaft and push up and down, side to side. There
should be no play. Also spin the rear wheel and listen for bearing noises
in the u joints.
Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]