Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 02:59:00 +0000

Steve,

The problem is not the water wetter. The problem is running water in the
cooling system without any corrosion inhibitor. It doesn't matter whether the
water is soft or hard you still need corrosion inhibitor in the solution
(universal solvent and all that). You can, of course, buy the stuff separately
at NAPA etc., but the simplest thing is to mix in some anti freeze (corrosion
inhibitor built in, explaining why you didn't have the problem before). I
think the inhibitor in anti freeze is good down to about a 10% concentration.
You will also have the added benefit of an increase in coolant boiling point.
Anti freeze ain't just for cold weather...

Bill Lawrence
BN1#554

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 15:20:15 -0800
> Subject: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost
>
> Peter Roses and I have been running purified water with water-wetter for a
couple of years. This resulted in us both having to have our radiators
serviced due to many of the tubes being clogged by rust flakes. Neither of us
had a corrosion problem when we were running coolant mixtures.
>
> In addition to this, there is info online showing Water Wetter deteriorates
after a while into a brownish gunk that can clog things up.
>
> I decided to install a Tefba cooling system filter at least for a while to
capture any more rust bits still in the block and have pictures of the
flushing results and Tefba install with info on the filter. (No financial
interest)
>
> http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/coolingsysupgrade
>
> PS - an engineer at Royal Purple told me distilled or ionized purified water
is the most aggressive corrosion agent. We should be using tap water or
filtered drinking water. The minerals protect the engine.
>
> --
> Steve Gerow
> BN6
> Altadena CA
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 09:18:01 +0200

Op 18-5-2013 1:20, Steve B. Gerow schreef:
> Peter Roses and I have been running purified water with water-wetter for a couple of years. This resulted in us both having to have our radiators serviced due to many of the tubes being clogged by rust flakes. Neither of us had a corrosion problem when we were running coolant mixtures.
>
> In addition to this, there is info online showing Water Wetter deteriorates after a while into a brownish gunk that can clog things up.
>
> I decided to install a Tefba cooling system filter at least for a while to capture any more rust bits still in the block and have pictures of the flushing results and Tefba install with info on the filter. (No financial interest)
>
> PS - an engineer at Royal Purple told me distilled or ionized purified water is the most aggressive corrosion agent. We should be using tap water or filtered drinking water. The minerals protect the engine.
>

This just shows you to use proper coolant or a mix of purified water and 
anti-freeze in the future. Never ever use tap water as the minerals in 
it will form a calcified crust and cause havoc in the engine and radiator.
Remove the thermostat, drain and flush the cooling system good and 
proper using tap water first, than adding a can/bottle of radiator 
cleaner to it, run the engine for about an hour, drain and flush the 
engine thoroughly, drain, re-instal the thermostat and fill up with 
organic coolant, In Europe the green stuff. Do not use inorganic coolant 
(red/purple) as this may be harmful to older type seals and gaskets.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]