Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 engine prices

From: Kent McLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 21:04:07 -0400

Late to the party on this one, but I just came across this from
a link to something else on the Spridgets list.  They say they
can repair cast iron and other cast metals without welding, using
a technique called "lock stitching".

<http://www.locknstitch.com/>

I think the location of the crack would determine the success of
the repair.

--
Kent McLean
'56 100 BN2
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 22:10:55 -0400

However, the example they cited was of a repaired crack on a bell. That
doesn't have the stress and heat that a cracked head would experience. I'm
with David Nock. Better to bite the bullet and go with an aluminum head than
to have the cast iron crack every couple of years or so.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Kent McLean
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 9:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 engine prices

Late to the party on this one, but I just came across this from a link to
something else on the Spridgets list.  They say they can repair cast iron
and other cast metals without welding, using a technique called "lock
stitching".

I think the location of the crack would determine the success of the repair.

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 12:22:14 +1000

With the current price of alloy 4 cylinder heads direct from the 
manufacturer, I don't see a cracked iron head is worth putting money into.
http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/2009-Austin%20Healey%20Heads.pdf
Cheers
Larry Varley
______________________________________________ 
_______________________________________________ Support Team.Net 
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
[email-masked] http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] ----- 
No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 
2013.0.3336 / Virus Database: 3162/6314 - Release Date: 05/10/13
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 10:50:39 +0800

Phoar, I put one of these bad boys on the block of my A90 I might boost the
HP to the rated 88 hp, if I was lucky.  Amazing what you can get out of a
high compression 7.5:1 engine.

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Larry Varley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.webcon.co.uk/**Downloads/2009-Austin%**20Healey%20Heads.pdf<http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/2009-Austin%20Healey%20Heads.pdf>
> Cheers
> Larry Varley

[email-masked]

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 20:19:34 -0700

The price looks very good.  Excuse my ignorance but has anyone bought
a Webcon 4 cylinder head and used it successfully?  A $1800 aluminum
boat anchor would be even less useful than a $200 cast iron boat
anchor.

-Roland

On Sat, 11 May 2013 12:22:14 +1000, Larry Varley wrote:

::With the current price of alloy 4 cylinder heads direct from the
::manufacturer, I don't see a cracked iron head is worth putting money into.
::http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/2009-Austin%20Healey%20Heads.pdf
::Cheers
::Larry Varley
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 19:13:56 +1000

I have seen the 100 head from Webcon, my brother bought one for his 100, 
and it will be fitted when his car returns from it's journey to the 
rally in Scotland. The quality looks excellent. It's hard to imagine 
there are that many sets of patterns out there for 100 heads, so perhaps 
the same head from many resellers? Does anyone know? The head has fully 
machined combustion chambers, thicknesses of the casting all seem fine, 
so it's hard to imagine there will be any problems
Cheers
Larry Varley

On 11/05/2013 1:19 PM, Roland Wilhelmy wrote:
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2013.0.3336 / Virus Database: 3162/6314 - Release Date: 05/10/13

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 09:29:33 -0400 (EDT)

Larry,
What can you tell us about this supplier? Have they been providing alloy
Healey heads to some of the usual sources & if yes can you tell us who? The
price is attractive, but I would be concerned if this is a new unproven
product for them.
Gary Hodson

From: Larry Varley [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bert Van Brande <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 09:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

I like it too, webcon could very well be the original manufacturer of these
heads hence the price difference.  
It might too light to be used as a boat
anchor  ;-)

Bert

________________________________
 From: Roland Wilhelmy
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 engine prices
The price looks very good.  Excuse my ignorance but has anyone bought
a Webcon
4 cylinder head and used it successfully?  A $1800 aluminum
boat anchor would
be even less useful than a $200 cast iron boat
anchor.

-Roland

On Sat, 11
May 2013 12:22:14 +1000, Larry Varley wrote:

::With the current price of
alloy 4 cylinder heads direct from the
::manufacturer, I don't see a cracked
iron head is worth putting money into.
::http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/2009-Austin%20Healey%20Heads.pdf
::Cheers
::Larry Varley
_______________________________________________
Support
Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 06:28:19 +1000

Hi Gary, I can't tell you any more, I thought someone on the list would 
know ? Having worked in manufacturing and non ferrous foundries all of 
my working life, I can only say that the quality of the casting appears 
excellent, no sign of any gas porosity in the machined surfaces which 
can happen if the alloy isn't properly prepared before casting or the 
runner and riser system is badly designed and doesn't feed molten metal 
back into the casting as it cools and shrinks. Overall it appears to be 
a quality product, but I can't add anything else at this stage.
Cheers
Larry Varley
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/nash/docs.html

On 11/05/2013 11:29 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Larry,
> What can you tell us about this supplier? Have they been providing 
> alloy Healey heads to some of the usual sources & if yes can you tell 
> us who? The price is attractive, but I would be concerned if this is a 
> new unproven product for them.
> Gary Hodson
> With the current price of alloy 4cylinder  heads direct from the
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 2013.0.3336 / Virus Database: 3162/6315 - Release Date: 05/10/13

[email-masked]