Subject: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost

From: "Steve B. Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 15:20:15 -0800

Peter Roses and I have been running purified water with water-wetter for a couple of years. This resulted in us both having to have our radiators serviced due to many of the tubes being clogged by rust flakes. Neither of us had a corrosion problem when we were running coolant mixtures. 

In addition to this, there is info online showing Water Wetter deteriorates after a while into a brownish gunk that can clog things up.

I decided to install a Tefba cooling system filter at least for a while to capture any more rust bits still in the block and have pictures of the flushing results and Tefba install with info on the filter. (No financial interest)

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/coolingsysupgrade

PS - an engineer at Royal Purple told me distilled or ionized purified water is the most aggressive corrosion agent. We should be using tap water or filtered drinking water. The minerals protect the engine. 

-- 
Steve Gerow
BN6
Altadena CA
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: David Lodge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 06:30:54 +0100 (BST)

Just out of curiosity, Steve, had your engine block been hot-tanked before you
used the Water-Wetter?  I'm wondering what the effect would be on a relatively
corrosion-free block, if such a thing is possible?
Regards, Lodge, BJ8, Vancouver.

--- On Sat, 18/5/13, Steve B. Gerow <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Steve B. Gerow <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Saturday, 18 May, 2013, 0:20

Peter Roses and I have been running purified water with water-wetter for a
couple of years. This resulted in us both having to have our radiators
serviced due to many of the tubes being clogged by rust flakes. Neither of us
had a corrosion problem when we were running coolant mixtures.

In addition to this, there is info online showing Water Wetter deteriorates
after a while into a brownish gunk that can clog things up.

I decided to install a Tefba cooling system filter at least for a while to
capture any more rust bits still in the block and have pictures of the
flushing results and Tefba install with info on the filter. (No financial
interest)

PS - an engineer at Royal Purple told me distilled or ionized purified water
is the most aggressive corrosion agent. We should be using tap water or
filtered drinking water. The minerals protect the engine.

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]