Subject: [Healeys] Oil pressure

From: Magnus Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 23:13:07 +0200

I have a problem with an engine that I just restored completely. The oil
pressure gets too high when revved over 2500. The pressure reaches all the way
up too 80 psi, which of course is way too much. The strange thing is when the
engine is cold and you rev it, the pressure will not rise above 60 psi. Quite
contrary to the normal behavior. The oil pump is a new Denis Welch unit, the
oil pressure release valve and spring are new, all bearings in the engine are
new, all parts have been machined to the right tolerances. I4ve tried with a
used release valve and spring that is quite softer than the new one. Resulting
in the same high pressure.

This has got me quite puzzled and I ran out of ideas on how to solve this. Has
anyone experienced the same symptoms and did you find a working solution? I4m
desperate for good advise!

TIA,

www.concourshealeys.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: José Vicente Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

I had exactly the same problem on my 100m. DW pump and everything new like
you. I even posted in this mailing list my problem and got all kind of
solutions. I finally spoke with Tom Kovacs at Fourintune, thanks to Randy
Hicks, and paraphrasing Bill Clinton he told me loud and clear, due to my
sceptisism, that : "it is the spring, stupid" !!!!
It was a faulty relief spring. New but faulty. I changed the spring and got
the 40 Lbs a british car is supposed to give. My engine is so well organized
and rebuilt that it even leaks oil....
Jose

Josi Vicente Vargas

Musmi

Tel. (571) 321 3740

Cel. (57) 311 288 3401

Skype: jovivago

www.musme.net

Bogota, Colombia

--- On Thu, 5/16/13, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil pressure
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 4:43 AM

Magnus
Very interesting. The difference in pressure reading between hot and cold
also
doesn't make sense to me. I would ask DW about the oil pump specs. Would also
double check the gauge pressure with another gauge. I had issues with high
oil
pressure on a small block Chevy when the pump supplied was not high volume
but
high pressure. DW offers two different pumps for under 6K RPM and another for
over. I have no idea what the pump specs are.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Magnus Karlsson <[email-masked]>
To: Healey Lista <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, May 15, 2013 5:14 pm
Subject: [Healeys] Oil pressure

I have a problem with an engine that I just restored completely. The oil
ressure gets too high when revved over 2500. The pressure reaches all the way
p too 80 psi, which of course is way too much. The strange thing is when the
ngine is cold and you rev it, the pressure will not rise above 60 psi. Quite
ontrary to the normal behavior. The oil pump is a new Denis Welch unit, the
il pressure release valve and spring are new, all bearings in the engine are
ew, all parts have been machined to the right tolerances. I4ve tried with a
sed release valve and spring that is quite softer than the new one. Resulting
n the same high pressure.
This has got me quite puzzled and I ran out of ideas on how to solve this.
Has
nyone experienced the same symptoms and did you find a working solution? I4m
esperate for good advise!
TIA,
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Blair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 18:43:55 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting ....
 
1.  I thought you said you had tried the old/weaker/shorter spring after the
initial episode and it did not change the strange pressure conditions that
were occurring.
 
2.  Now you say you actually cut 2.5 turns from the spring and the pressure
range was normal again......
 
3.  So if the pressure relief spring is 2.5 turns too long why is that so
after all these years and engines/miles/rebuilds worldwide?  Did you have a
badly manufactured spring?  Is there a spec length for a new spring?
 
To me the pressure relief valve is basically a linear function and so it
seemed to me that you had a sticking something in the bore that was making the
spring/plunger unpredictable in its functionality - high/low pressure when not
expected.
 
I am still not convinced on the cut spring solution.........
 
Anyone else?

Robert N. Blair
  Yellow 65BJ8
  [email-masked]

Many thanks to everyone who answered my somewhat desperate question.

Today I removed the aluminium sump. One of a lesser quality, which made me
suspect that  maybe the pipe from the relase valve got blocked by the thick
sump bottom. As it turned out this was not the case I simply cut the spring
by
2.5 coils, which restored the pressure to the correct range.

I had previously sleeved the oil passages to prevent the dreaded crack in the
block that lets oil into the water. So my conclusion is that either this
restricton caused the increased pressure or a faulty spring. Lots of work but
all worth while.

Once again many thanks to all helpful fellows on this list!

Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]