Subject: [Healeys] Powder on Springs

From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 18:36:49 -0700

I was a little surprised to read the suggestion in a recent post that powder
coating on front springs caused the springs to sag.
Is it true that a temp as low as 400 degrees could take the temper out of
spring steel?
More specifically, do listers recommend against powder coating suspension
parts such as springs and A-arms?
Thanks,
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: David Lodge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 05:40:55 +0100 (BST)

Apropos sandblasting; I seem to remember that the club racing bods who I hung
out with back in the sixties swore by shot-peening the springs.  Lessened the
chance of breakage and relieved stress or somesuch.  Bit beyond me.
D

--- On Sun, 12/5/13, Larry Varley <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Powder on Springs
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sunday, 12 May, 2013, 9:58

I agree with Kees here, in any form of coating surface preparation is
critical, and I have seen far too many cases of rust under powder coating. It
looks good but how well is it stuck. I would also be wary of any coating that
involved heat and springs. If you take a look at any good industrial paint
spec for steel, it will be sand blast, to provide a semi rough surface for
mechanical adhesion of the primer, then top coat. In fact as long as the
surface is sand blasted even the primer step can be optional.
Cheers
Larry

On 12/05/2013 6:25 PM, Oudesluys wrote:
> These relatively low temperatures for curing the powder coat can have
significant effect on steel springs, especially springs made from BS 2056 En
58A/56 steel, stainless steel (n.a. in this case) and low alloy carbon steel
are prone to this
> The problem with powder coating is that the adhesion to the metal is not
always as it should and (serious) corrosion can creep under the coating
without you seeing it until it flakes of. Although it looks nice and shiny
when all is OK, it just looks to perfect as it also evens out many original
small imperfections.
> I prefer the old fashioned way of primer and chassis black with the
imperfections in the metal visible. It is also easier to de-rust and touch
up.
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL
>
> Op 12-5-2013 3:36, Charlie Frazer schreef:
>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>>
>> [email-masked]
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
>> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
>> Versie: 2013.0.3336 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6316 - datum van uitgifte:
05/11/13

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]