Subject: Re: [Healeys] Questions about originality 100 BN1

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 10:13:06 -0700

Simon,

Yup, that's a four speed gearbox.  If you have any other questions please
feel free to email me directly as I am also restoring a BN1 (an early '55,
body no. 7197).

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Chairman-Austin Healey Concours Committee
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{)
(760) 458-1926 cell

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Simon Griffin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have been taking stock of my car, a 54 RHD BN1.  As I have been digging
> into
> the car I have found what is clearly original Healey Blue paint on the
> firewall.  This confirms the Heritage information I was given back in the
> 80's. I also think I have revealed one of the original door cards.  There
> are
> photos of this on my Photobucket site
> http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/simon1966/library/Austin%20Healey%20100Does
> this look like the original door trim to you? Back in the late 60's/70's
> one
> of the PO's had told me that the gear box was replaced by a 4 speed BN2
> box.
> THere are some shots of the box on the photobucket site.  Does it look
> like a
> BN2 box to the experts? Thanks for your input.  I have posted the same
> question and photos on the British Cars forum, I'll check both places.
> Thanks
> for any input. Simon G.Troy, IL
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:01:14 -0700

Nice teal blue interior.
Looks like a great project.
Have fun

Ira Erbs
Portland,OR
please excuse typos and random spelling corrections.
sent from my Droid phone.
On May 5, 2013 9:50 AM, "Simon Griffin" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 15:48:33 -0400

Simon--

Re the transmission:  BN2 transmissions had separate bellhousings whereas
BN1's were a one-piece casting.  Yours looks like a BN1 to me.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Simon Griffin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 12:54:00 -0700

Listers,

It is not and should not be a Teal Blue interior.  These were never
installed on BN1s.  It is rather the standard blue interior.

Cheers,

Curt

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 12:58:47 -0700

Sorry, that was sarcasim....
Cheers

Ira Erbs
Portland,OR

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Korn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 20:41:26 +0000

Lol

Sent from my iPad

>>>> for any input. Simon G.Troy, IL
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 07:52:30 +1000

Hello Simon

It is definitely a BN2 (or later side shift gearbox) with overdrive.
Interesting how the PO continued to use the original BN1 gearbox mountings
by making a thick(?) plate for the rear of the gearbox to sit on. The BN2
has two angular rubber/steel gearbox mounts at the rear as well as a buffer
pad that bolts into the chassis. It's probably BN2 as it looks as if the
mechanical clutch is still fitted. There is a little round brass plate
riveted to the top of the gearbox that probably has BN2 stamped on it.

As to your second question on the door trim it is not original BN1 as the
stitching around the opening is far too course.

Thanks for the photos as they were interesting to look at while having my
morning cuppa.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Simon Griffin
Sent: Monday, 6 May 2013 2:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Questions about originality 100 BN1

I have been taking stock of my car, a 54 RHD BN1.  As I have been digging
into the car I have found what is clearly original Healey Blue paint on the
firewall.  This confirms the Heritage information I was given back in the
80's. I also think I have revealed one of the original door cards.  There
are photos of this on my Photobucket site
http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/simon1966/library/Austin%20Healey%20100
Does this look like the original door trim to you? Back in the late
60's/70's one of the PO's had told me that the gear box was replaced by a 4
speed BN2 box.
THere are some shots of the box on the photobucket site.  Does it look like
a
BN2 box to the experts? Thanks for your input.  I have posted the same
question and photos on the British Cars forum, I'll check both places.
Thanks for any input. Simon G.Troy, IL
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]