Subject: [Healeys] BN2 Interior

From: "Peter Svilans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 15:42:49 -0400

Mike:

As with most British car interiors, the trick is not to just find leather of a
certain colour, but to find leather with matching British-type grain vinyl.
Otherwise you're into dyeing one or the other or both. I've found teal leather
for a customer, but the panels, which never matched exactly in the first
place, had to be dyed.

The reason unusual colours (teal, persimmon) weren't used for a long time was
that the pigments making up that colour didn't stand up.  The ol' standbys
deep red, dark blue, dark green, beige, brown were known to have a long life
and were used for decades.  The teal was especially prone to fading.  The
leather "faded" somehow to a brighter blue, and the vinyl faded to a pale grey
over a relatively short time.  The familiar so-called "persimmon" leather
began as a pinkish-orangeish red exactly the colour of a Persimmon fruit (you
can still see the original colour under the seat cushions usually). It was in
fact always called "red" in the specufication. This colour faded over time to
a pure orange colour, familiar to all Healeyites.

So, yes you can find teal leather, but chances are it will be a less durable
clothing or fashion grade, whereas the Healeys used a heavier upholstery grade
leather of at least 1.1millimeter thickness.

Best regards
Peter
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 13:57:10 -0700 (PDT)

You have too much time on your hands Rick.
Mike

--- On Thu, 5/2/13, HealeyRick <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Interior
To: "Michael MacLean" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Forum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, May 2, 2013, 8:36 PM

Teal blue cows.
 Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
        From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
 To: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>; Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Cc: Forum <[email-masked]>
 Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:57 PM
 Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Interior

So, where do you get teal blue leather?
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]