Subject: Re: [Healeys] front end clunk

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:08:52 -0700

One of reasons I traded my 48 spoke wire wheels for disc wheel/ disc brake
set up when I first put my car back on the road in1977. Don't look as
pretty, but they do stay on....

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
please excuse typos. Sent from my phone
On May 29, 2013 9:22 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> after having a wheel come off and going down the road on the brake rotor,
> i can tell you emphatically that i do not listen to anyone telling me to
> not tighten them super tight.  once burned, twice shy.
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:37:43 +0800

All -

The devil is actually in the English.

In the United States, we call them "knock offs"

in the UK, they call them "knock ons"

They are meant to be hammered tight!  So much so that's why they went to 8
TPI hubs on the BJ8, they are meant to be really whacked on.

Alan

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM, I Erbs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 06:28:37 -0400

Happened to a MGB we were traveling with several years ago.  With the 
splines in good shape and everything mounted on the correct side of the 
car, the knockoffs should (self) tighten when you accelerate.  The 
splines on the MG were so far gone that the when the driver braked, the 
knockoff spun off and the front wheel went off on it's own.

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 05/30/2013 12:22 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> after having a wheel come off and going down the road on the brake rotor, i can tell you emphatically that i do not listen to anyone telling me to not tighten them super tight.  once burned, twice shy.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 08:15:50 -0400

Look at:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wire-wheels-tightening.shtml

and

http://www.healey6.com/Technical/hub.pdf

to answer this question which comes up occasionally.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tom Felts
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:52 AM
To: [email-masked]; I Erbs
Cc: Ahealey help
Subject: Re: [Healeys] front end clunk

It is not like we have had a rash of wire wheels coming off----is it??  I
always tighten mine snuggly, but do'nt "wack" the heck out of them.  They
"should" tighten as you drive anyway, right?

tom

[email-masked]

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 19:16:28 +0200

Hi all
Those articles are a must read for any center locking wheel nut owner, 
period.

Per

John Sims skrev 2013-05-30 14:15:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 04:58:11 +0000

And there is my point. If the splines are worn to the point you need to
hyper-tighten them to keep them from moving then they need to be replaced.

I didn't mean to imply that the center lock nuts (knock-ons, knock-offs
whatever) don't need to be tightened. Only that this is not a cure for worn
out splines.

Bill Lawrence

> Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 06:28:37 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
i can tell you emphatically that i do not listen to anyone telling me to not
tighten them super tight.  once burned, twice shy.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]