Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

From: Bob Yule <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:56:15 -0400

I think you will get into REAL trouble if you drive on the left in 
France.
Cheers.......Bob
Check out our web site www.autofarm.net
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 1:42 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

> Hi,
>
> I'm taking my 3000 over to France soonish and, as they drive on the left, 
> I
> thought that wing mirrors might be sensible. Leaving aside the perennial
> "where do the wing mirrors go?", I was wondering about which type to buy.
>
> Authenticity, period look etc...? Well, that's quite important to me, but
> I'm no originality fanatic.
>
> I've heard about so called "Lucas" mirrors per this item on eBay.....
> 140973830806    They look OK, a bit Morris Minor perhaps.???
>
> Or the so called "bullet mirror" per these 140955896698?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Simon
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 19:01:17 +0100

True! However, the question remains valid.
Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 1:42 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

> Hi,
>
> I'm taking my 3000 over to France soonish and, as they drive on the 
> left, I thought that wing mirrors might be sensible. Leaving aside the 
> perennial "where do the wing mirrors go?", I was wondering about which 
> type to buy.
>
> Authenticity, period look etc...? Well, that's quite important to me, 
> but I'm no originality fanatic.
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual 
> donation  $12.75

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:21:20 -0400

Simon, the original style mirrors available from the factory were sort of
wedge-shaped (photo example attached).  I don't particularly like the way
they look since they sit high off the wing.  To me, they look more "Morris
Minor".  One advantage they have is that the support pivots on the base, so
that if the mirror is accidentally hit and moved out of position it can be
swung back in again without a lot of trial and error repositioning.

The round Lucas mirrors on the wing are one of the things that attracted me
to my BJ8 when I first saw it, because they looked "quaint" (compared to the
streamlined mirrors on cars now).  They are a real pain to keep in
alignment, especially if they sit out on the wings instead of on the doors.
I frequently brush against mine in the garage and have to reset them.

The bullet mirrors appear to be less vulnerable to inadvertent misalignment
than the Lucas type, but I still personally prefer the look of the Lucas
mirrors.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Simon Lachlan
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 1:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

Hi,

I'm taking my 3000 over to France soonish and, as they drive on the left, I
thought that wing mirrors might be sensible. Leaving aside the perennial
"where do the wing mirrors go?", I was wondering about which type to buy.

Simon

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of 41083 - LF3 - Parthenon.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: andy pole <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 18:46:05 +0000

Simon
How about the clamp on quarter light ones, I'm tempted to try them as I don't
want to drill the wing or door.
http://www.ahead4healeys.co.uk/QUARTER-LIGHT-MIRROR---CLAMP-ON-id3303.aspx
Any others tried and recommend ?
Cheers andy

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 18:42:12 +0100
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Michael Brouillette" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:57:09 -0400

What model cars do you guys have?  I have a BT7 and use an old style Harley
Davidson mirror in the side curtain holes.  Easy to reach to adjust and come
off quickly if the side curtains are needed, but as everyone know, you stay
drier in the rain without the side curtains being on the car.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of andy pole
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 2:46 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

Simon
How about the clamp on quarter light ones, I'm tempted to try them as I
don't want to drill the wing or door.
http://www.ahead4healeys.co.uk/QUARTER-LIGHT-MIRROR---CLAMP-ON-id3303.aspx
Any others tried and recommend ?
Cheers andy

type to buy.
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 08:08:29 +1000

G'day Simon

I use these clamp-on mirrors that attach to the front edge of the door - no 
drilling! Also it puts them in the right position, although I can't see them 
on the (very rare) occasions I have the sidescreens in.

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz

PS I drove all over France (from the UK) in an MG TD in the '70s and '80s. 
Danger point is after you've stopped and set off again, to remember to turn 
onto the correct side of the road.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Simon Lachlan
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

Hi,

Simon

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Hardtop3 25_08_2010.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 15:12:18 -0700

Listers:  I am currently in the throes of trying to decide which mirrors to 
use on my now back on the road BJ8.  I'm trying one of the clip-ons 
mentioned by another lister while I try and decide where to drill holes in 
my new paint job!  I don't think I like it - I have it clipped to the vent 
window glass, which precludes the opening of that vent window.  It's also a 
bit small, moves out of adjustment too easily, and is a bit too much in my 
line of sight.

Some folks here are installing the 'Lucas wing mirror' on the doors.  On the 
BJ7 - BJ8, it seems to work quite well - the outward 'crank' of the mirror 
pedestal allows the mirror to clear the vent window in any open position, 
and the tremendous adjustment available with that style of mirror head 
allows the passenger side mirror (right side for me) to be completely 
useful.  A convex mirror head can be easily installed if desired.  It's a 
matter of personal opinion, but I think that they look quite proper 
installed in the door position on the convertible Healey, whereas they look 
somewhat odd on the sidescreen car (but do allow the use of the screens).  I 
am leaning that way at this time.

Of course the downside of door mounting any mirror that secures from below - 
especially for both convertible Healeys - is that the door panels have to 
come off for installation and future maintenance.  Everyone that has ever 
owned a BJ7 or BJ8 Healey knows what a fun job that always is!

I have 'bullet' mirrors installed on my BT7 - the leading edge of the mirror 
is flush with the rear bonnet opening, and the right side mirror is 
'cranked' ever so slightly on the body to allow the mirror head to be 
adjusted to a useful position.

I can try and get photos of a BJ8 with Lucas wing mirrors mounted on the 
doors if anyone is interested.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: BJ8 Healeys
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 11:21 AM
To: 'Simon Lachlan' ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

Simon

[email-masked]

---

From: Greg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 07:26:57 -0400

My 65 BJ8 came with Lucas style mirrors on the door.

At 6'0" tall all I can see are the rear tires.

Greg

Sent from my iPad

> Listers:  I am currently in the throes of trying to decide which mirrors to
use on my now back on the road BJ8.  I'm trying one of the clip-ons mentioned
by another lister while I try and decide where to drill holes in my new paint
job!  I don't think I like it - I have it clipped to the vent window glass,
which precludes the opening of that vent window.  It's also a bit small, moves
out of adjustment too easily, and is a bit too much in my line of sight.
BJ7 - BJ8, it seems to work quite well - the outward 'crank' of the mirror
pedestal allows the mirror to clear the vent window in any open position, and
the tremendous adjustment available with that style of mirror head allows the
passenger side mirror (right side for me) to be completely useful.  A convex
mirror head can be easily installed if desired.  It's a matter of personal
opinion, but I think that they look quite proper installed in the door
position on the convertible Healey, whereas they look somewhat odd on the
sidescreen car (but do allow the use of the screens).  I am leaning that way
at this time.
> Of course the downside of door mounting any mirror that secures from below -
especially for both convertible Healeys - is that the door panels have to come
off for installation and future maintenance.  Everyone that has ever owned a
BJ7 or BJ8 Healey knows what a fun job that always is!
> I have 'bullet' mirrors installed on my BT7 - the leading edge of the mirror
is flush with the rear bonnet opening, and the right side mirror is 'cranked'
ever so slightly on the body to allow the mirror head to be adjusted to a
useful position.
>
> Earl Kagna
> Victoria, B.C.
> BJ8, BT7 tri-carb
>
> -----Original Message----- From: BJ8 Healeys
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]