Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wing mirrors

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 07:57:14 +0800

Simon -

I've had both Lucas type and Talbot type racing mirror.  The best set up is
to have Talbots over the wheel arch.  It's easy to install and the talbots
don't change position if you bump them with your hip.

The Lucas style wing mirrors are maddening - vandals will break them off
(I've had this happen a couple times - will happen in France for sure), and
they lose position every time you walk past the car.  Talbot style is much
better, they remain fixed in position, and they are much harder for
miscreants to break off.

Putting the mirrors over the wing arches give you four advantages:  1) they
are easy to access to remove if necessary and 2) out on the wing you don't
have to turn your head/eyes to look in the mirror (i.e. you are always
looking forward) 3) the arch wing position gives a better angle on blind
spots 4) out on the arch are really nice when you are pulling out  from
parallel parking on the street.

The talbot style comes in two sizes, 100mm two bolt mount and 90mm one bolt
mount ... I tend to prefer the one bolt mount but they are not as common.

Convex for both, of course.

Alan

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm taking my 3000 over to France soonish and, as they drive on the left, I
> thought that wing mirrors might be sensible. Leaving aside the perennial
> "where do the wing mirrors go?", I was wondering about which type to buy.
>
> Authenticity, period look etc...? Well, that's quite important to me, but
> I'm no originality fanatic.
>
> I've heard about so called "Lucas" mirrors per this item on eBay.....
> 140973830806    They look OK, a bit Morris Minor perhaps.???
>
> Or the so called "bullet mirror" per these 140955896698?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Simon
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 07:24:46 +0200

> (I've had this happen a couple times - will happen in France for sure), and

I do not know how you got that idea. There is very little vandalism 
going on in France compared to e.g the UK. Of course it can happen, as 
in any country, but it certainly is not a certainty. The French love and 
respect old cars. I drive down there about 5 to 15 times a year in 
modern or classic cars. Never have had any problems.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

-

[email-masked]