Subject: Re: [Healeys] Seat Belts - A caution

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:56:55 -0700 (PDT)

I suspect the risk of a seatbelt installer being named in a lawsuit where
serious injuries occurred are high.  The installer becomes a link in the chain
for defective belt design, anchorage points, improper materials,
malfunctioning buckles, etc, etc in addition to 50 yr old metal fatigue.  Easy
to see why it would be desirable to avoid that risk entirely.

Rick
"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:
http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

________________________________
 From: Jack
Feldman <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:19 PM
Subject:
[Healeys] Seat Belts - A caution

I took the Healey to one of the national
experts to get sorted out, and
asked him to install them. Not only did he
refuse, he refused to discuss it
at all, even when I told him that a racing
Orthopedic Dr., friend said
there would be no problem from spinal compression
in an accident.

Got to Guru number 2. He said he would install them if I paid
cash and
didn't have a paper trail to the installation. Evidently, the issue
was
that they didn't trust the steel in our 60+ year old cars to hold in an
accident.

These are two men who dedicated their lives to be best Healey
restorations
in the country.

Comments?

Jack
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Robert F. Begani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 20:18:23 -0400

According to my friends in the auto car service business, they would never
touch a seat belt installation even for a friend due to the liability
involved. The insurance companies specifically mention you are not covered
and will revoke your policy if you do or something to that effect.  In other
words, DIY installation.  

Bob Begani
BJ8 '67

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of HealeyRick
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:57 PM
To: Jack Feldman; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Seat Belts - A caution

I suspect the risk of a seatbelt installer being named in a lawsuit where
serious injuries occurred are high.  The installer becomes a link in the
chain for defective belt design, anchorage points, improper materials,
malfunctioning buckles, etc, etc in addition to 50 yr old metal fatigue.
Easy to see why it would be desirable to avoid that risk entirely.

Rick

Comments?

Jack

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: David Nock British Car Specialists <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 08:26:49 -0700

After being a witness to a Healey accident on a club tour which both  
driver and passenger were wearing LAP belts only. It was a touring  
speed accident of about 35 to 40 mph and watching the car go off the  
road into a imbankment and a small tree. The results were that the  
driver took the steering column to the chest and broke several ribs,  
The passenger slipped under the belt and then went face first into  
the dash.  Both survived but had severe injuries.

Then i had a customer that reluctlently installed retractable  
shoulder belts in a BJ8. Then two days later was in a very bad  
accident and went off the road driving to fast. Both driver and  
passenger were wearing retractable shoulder belts and survived. THe  
car was a total. If you want to see the results of that car there are  
pics on my web site.

My personal opinion something is a lot better that nothing and I will  
go with the retractable shoulder belt and take my chances.

  If you want total protection  sell the Healey and get a new car  
with 14 air bags, crush points, and shoulder belts for all passengers  
and all the rest of the saftey stuff that the goverment has required  
us to have for our saftey.

On May 22, 2013, at 4:19 PM, Jack Feldman wrote:

> When I first got my BT7 I bought two three point belts. I  
> installed  three
> point belts on both MGs. The GT had the mounting nuts already  
> installed,
> the C had to have a hole drilled in the side of the wheel well to  
> mount the
> retractor mechanism.
>
> I took the Healey to one of the national experts to get sorted out,  
> and
> asked him to install them. Not only did he refuse, he refused to  
> discuss it
> at all, even when I told him that a racing Orthopedic Dr., friend said
> there would be no problem from spinal compression in an accident.
>
> Got to Guru number 2. He said he would install them if I paid cash and
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ 
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 13:11:12 -0500

<< On 5/22/2013 7:18 PM, Robert F. Begani wrote:

According to my friends in the auto car service business, they would never
touch a seat belt installation even for a friend due to the liability involved.  >>

"Touch" what ? ? ?

<< The insurance companies specifically mention you are not covered
and will revoke your policy if you do or something to that effect. >>

ABSOLUTELY (and QUICK) !

<< In other words, DIY installation.   >>

Yep.

Ed
Please  visit MY site at:                    www.justbrits.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]