Subject: Re: [Healeys] Powder Coating Springs

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 07:38:23 +0200

These relatively low temperatures of 400 do effect some some types of 
spring steel of springs, anti-roll bars etc. so beware. There are little 
effects on other parts.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 14-5-2013 6:11, Charlie Frazer schreef:
> Thanks to a number of you who expressed your personal opinions on whether to
> paint or powder coat suspension springs, as well as discussing various
> techniques for media blasting.
>
> My question is this:  Does the heat involved in powder coating really result
> in taking the temper out of springs as suggested in some recent posts?
> I'm not a metallurgist, but it appears to me that the temps in powder coating
> are around 400 degrees, while springs are tempered at 900-950 degrees.  So,
> does the relatively low temperature in the powder coating oven really affect
> springs?  If so, how about A-arms and sway bars?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2013.0.3336 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6320 - datum van uitgifte: 05/13/13
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 00:23:51 -0700

Kees,
I respect your expertise.
Could you tell me the specific evidence on which your caution about
powder-coating  is based?
What specific effects are there on springs and roll-bars heated at 400
degrees?
Thanks,
Charlie

On May 13, 2013, at 10:38 PM, Oudesluys wrote:

These relatively low temperatures of 400 do effect some some types of spring
steel of springs, anti-roll bars etc. so beware. There are little effects on
other parts.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 14-5-2013 6:11, Charlie Frazer schreef:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 18:37:53 +1000

Here is what a spring guy says....

"SO to answer the question, is it OK to powder coat springs? Well that
depends. In the amount of heat applied during the curing process. Too much
heat is harmful to springs. Once springs begin to get hotter than 350 degrees
Fahrenheit they begin to anneal, that is the steel starts to get soft, the
temper is lost and the spring will not support any weight.

In order to safely powder coat springs the temperature MUST remain below 350
degrees!!!!"

http://www.eatonsprings.com/powdercoating.htm

Sent from my iPhone

> These relatively low temperatures of 400 do effect some some types of
spring
>> ___

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:59:06 +0200

Charlie,
I found this on a Dutch site. I am sure that there is something similar 
in English to be found through Google.
Cheers,
Kees

http://www.roveron.nl/veer-informatie/effecttemperatuur
Op 14-5-2013 9:23, Charlie Frazer schreef:
> Could you tell me the specific evidence on which your caution about powder-coating  is based?
> What specific effects are there on springs and roll-bars heated at 400 degrees?
> Thanks,
> Charlie
>
> These relatively low temperatures of 400 do effect some some types of spring steel of springs, anti-roll bars etc. so beware. There are little effects on other parts.
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL

[email-masked]

---

From: "Ron Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:32:20 -0500

It seems anyone that buys some sort of spray equipment, and builds an
enclosed space with some sort of heating capacity, can call themselves a
powder-coater.  Finding a company that performs work in accordance with
industry standards might be a good idea.
 
Aluminum is powder-coated all the time with thermoset fluorpolymer powder.
It is baked at 450 degree F oven temperature (410 degree F material
temperature) for approximately 12 minutes.  This process does not reduce the
structural capabilities of aluminum, a material with a much lower melting
point than steel.
 
The problem with heat-setting a finish onto some steel materials at 450
degrees F, is that some steel "off-gasses:" when heated.  This causes small
"bubbles" in the finish.  It is my understanding that this does not alter
the structural characteristics of steel.
 
  Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Chris Dimmock
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:38 AM
To: Charlie Frazer
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Powder Coating Springs

"SO to answer the question, is it OK to powder coat springs? Well that
depends. In the amount of heat applied during the curing process. Too much
heat is harmful to springs. Once springs begin to get hotter than 350
degrees Fahrenheit they begin to anneal, that is the steel starts to get
soft, the temper is lost and the spring will not support any weight.

 <http://www.eatonsprings.com/powdercoating.htm>
http://www.eatonsprings.com/powdercoating.htm

 
Sent from my iPhone
 
On 14/05/2013, at 5:23 PM, Charlie Frazer <
 
spring
> steel of springs, anti-roll bars etc. so beware. There are little 
> effects
on
>> Thanks to a number of you who expressed your personal opinions on 
>> whether
> to
>> paint or powder coat suspension springs, as well as discussing 
>> various techniques for media blasting.
>> 
 <http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
 
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 00:39:35 -0700

On May 14, 2013, at 12:32 PM, Ron Ray wrote:

It seems anyone that buys some sort of spray equipment, and builds an enclosed
space with some sort of heating capacity, can call themselves a powder-coater.
Finding a company that performs work in accordance with industry standards
might be a good idea.

Aluminum is powder-coated all the time with thermoset fluorpolymer powder.  It
is baked at 450 degree F oven temperature (410 degree F material temperature)
for approximately 12 minutes.  This process does not reduce the structural
capabilities of aluminum, a material with a much lower melting point than
steel.

The problem with heat-setting a finish onto some steel materials at 450
degrees F, is that some steel off-gasses: when heated.  This causes small
bubbles in the finish.  It is my understanding that this does not alter the
structural characteristics of steel.

  Ron

-----Original Message-----

Sent from my iPhone

spring
on
>> Thanks for your comments.
$12.75

[email-masked]

[email-masked]