Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 grill paint

From: Richard Kahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 11:29:25 -0700 FILETIME=[9E8C7F30:01CE58AC]

I have tried several times to get "aluminum" colored paint to stick to the
chrome grill surround. It comes off very easily. Is there as prep for paint to
adhere to the chrome?
Rich Kahn
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:50:21 -0400

Rich, whenever I paint anything I first make sure that the surface is
absolutely clean.  First, I wash it with soap and water, then I wipe it down
with a degreaser (acetone or lacquer thinner) and sometimes follow that with
wiping with Windex.  The grille surround needs to be primed where the
aluminum paint goes, so mask it off and then prime it (I used SEM
self-etching gray primer, available from the local auto parts store).  
After all that, the specific topcoat you use doesn't matter so much, but I
used a Plastikote Aluminum #203 in a spray can.  I did this in 1999 and have
never had to repaint or even touch it up.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Richard Kahn
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 2:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 grill paint

I have tried several times to get "aluminum" colored paint to stick to the
chrome grill surround. It comes off very easily. Is there as prep for paint
to adhere to the chrome?
Rich Kahn
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 17:26:45 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with Steve's message on cleaning and prep with the resulting
longevity. The original AH supplier didn't worry to much about longevity.  The
original paint used on the grille surround was a quick coat of flattened
silver lacquer without any primer. Probably good for 10 years unless you
actually polish your grille surround regularly.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, May 24, 2013 4:52 pm
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 grill paint

Rich, whenever I paint anything I first make sure that the surface is
bsolutely clean.  First, I wash it with soap and water, then I wipe it down
ith a degreaser (acetone or lacquer thinner) and sometimes follow that with
iping with Windex.  The grille surround needs to be primed where the
luminum paint goes, so mask it off and then prime it (I used SEM
elf-etching gray primer, available from the local auto parts store).
fter all that, the specific topcoat you use doesn't matter so much, but I
sed a Plastikote Aluminum #203 in a spray can.  I did this in 1999 and have
ever had to repaint or even touch it up.
Steve Byers
BJ8L/36666
J8 Registry
avelock, NC USA
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]