Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cool aftermarket stuff accepted in concours

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 01:04:23 -0400 (EDT)

Another period aftermarket item that is accepted without deduction is a
wood-rimmed steering wheel, provided it is a correct diameter (15 or 16 inch)
and has spokes at 120 degree angles from one another, mounted with one spoke
pointing down. I almost regret that we put in this exception, since it has
meant that many otherwise fine original cars have dumped the lovely, graceful
original wheel just because it wasn't as comfortable to drive with, wasn't
particularly ergonomic, and is blessedly hard to restore in any lasting
manner.
But the original blueprints are VERY specific regarding the correct color of
piping with each color of interior for each color of car, and there's no
reason in the world to get it wrong.

Gary

Gary Anderson
Editor-at-large, Austin-Healey Magazine
Registrar, Austin-Healey Concours Registry
Co-founder, AHCR
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 07:08:48 +0100

Gary,

Don't you mean 'one spoke pointing up'?

I think that's a good decision btw. The only reason the Bluemels wheel was
used was because it was cheap to source. DMH assumed that most people would
install a sportier wheel.

Derek

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 6:04 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 04:47:42 -0700

Just to be clear, a white or W/B car with black interior would have black piping?

I have a wood-rimmed steering wheel on my BJ8.  It's very timeworn and was on the car when I bought it 30 years ago.  By 
all appearances it appears to be an original Derrington.  However, it's mounted 'Mercedes style,' with one spoke 
pointing up.   This way, both the speedo and tach are easily visible when driving in a straight line (it always seemed 
to me this should be the correct mounting).

Bob

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 22:06:02 +1000

My ivory and black BJ8 has an all black interior.
No white piping.
Chris
http://www.myaustinhealey.com

Sent from my iPhone

On 02/05/2013, at 9:47 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a wood-rimmed steering wheel on my BJ8.  It's very timeworn and was
on the car when I bought it 30 years ago.  By all appearances it appears to be
an original Derrington.  However, it's mounted 'Mercedes style,' with one
spoke pointing up.   This way, both the speedo and tach are easily visible
when driving in a straight line (it always seemed to me this should be the
correct mounting).
>> Registrar, Austin-Healey Concours Registry
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:00:54 -0400

Absolutely agree Gary.. IMHO the woodrim wheel thing was a very bad
decision. I would bet that at least 95% of Healey's had the original
plastic Bluemel's wheels when delivered.
Certainly the original wheels are very difficult to restore, I have over 50
hours in the one for #174 and it is still not finished to the standard I
would like.
IMHO installing a woodrim wheel completely changes the patina of the
interior, particularly pre wood dash cars but it is the easy way out to be
sure.

Michael S

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:13:29 -0400 (EDT)

Shouldn't the one spoke be pointing up, not down?
Gary Hodson

-----Original Message-----
From: editorgary <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, May 2, 2013 12:09 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cool aftermarket stuff accepted in concours

Gary

Gary Anderson

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 11:13:04 -0500

<< On 5/2/2013 10:00 AM, Michael Salter wrote:

IMHO installing a woodrim wheel completely changes the patina of the
interior, particularly pre wood dash cars but it is the easy way out to be sure.  >>

Absolutely, Michael.

I would like to add that with Roger's persistence, KNOWLEDGE + "Strive for Right" <G>,
The Moss repros are VERY, VERY good these days, I'm told.  Haven't had one in hand lately,
but knowing Roger ........<VBG> ! ! !

Gary ? ? ?

Ed
BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey wearing a mid-Roger wheel DUE to purchasing [then driving 180
miles <G> <F> <G>] Hortense with Trafficator, 3 spokes and AIR <G>).
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 12:37:29 -0400 (EDT)

I hope everyone got the message that I confused up and down -- definitely UP,
so the spokes don't obscure the Speedo and Tach.
Gary

Gary Anderson
Editor-in-Chief, The Star Magazine
Mercedes-Benz Club of America

-----Original Message-----
From: John Trifari <[email-masked]>
To: editorgary <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, May 2, 2013 9:30 am
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Cool aftermarket stuff accepted in concours

Gary--isn't it one spoke pointing UP?    John Trifari

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 10:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cool aftermarket stuff accepted in concours

 Another period aftermarket item that is accepted without deduction is a
wood-rimmed steering wheel, provided it is a correct diameter (15 or 16
inch) and has spokes at 120 degree angles from one another, mounted with one
spoke pointing down.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 02:59:16 +1000

It's all good Gary.
>From our perspective, in God's Kingdom, down under, we all knew you just had
it all ass about.
Mate.
:-)
Chris.

Sent from my iPhone

On 03/05/2013, at 2:37 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> inch) and has spokes at 120 degree angles..

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 12:01:24 -0500

<< On 5/2/2013 11:37 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I hope everyone got the message that I confused up and down  >>
I think everyone was thinking you were visiting Patrick Gary, 
SO..................................

<VBG> !

Anon

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 20:33:51 +0200

A  much nicer steering wheel would be a period black or brown leather 
rimmed one, Derrington/Moto Lita, Nardi etc. Looks better, offers much 
more grip and is very comfortable, less sweaty hands. These were 
available at the time (and still are now) so should not deduct any points.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 2-5-2013 18:13, " Just Brits " Shop schreef:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2013.0.3272 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6291 - datum van uitgifte: 05/02/13

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 14:50:19 -0400

Are we speaking of the spoke direction relative to the wheel rim or the 
center hub?

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 03:06:36 +0000

Yeah, well I wasn't going to pull my wheel and rotate it 60 degrees anyway...

Bill Lawrence

> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 12:37:29 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spokes on Steering Wheels
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]