Subject: Re: [Healeys] Seat belts

From: Richard Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 23:02:31 -0500

I put  non retractable lap belts on my BN7 and find them to be a PITA. I
should have put retractable 3 point belts on it for safety and ease of
handling. I may go back and revisit the situation

Regards,
Richard C
BN 7 440

Sent from iPhone

On May 21, 2013, at 22:27, "john spaur" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> What are peoples experience with retractable versus non-retractable seat
belts?
>
> John Spaur
> San Jose
> '62 BT7
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 22:12:09 -0700

I put retractable seat belts in our BJ7 and regretted it.  I bought
the  non retractable three point belts and was much happier.  The
retractable  system had decelleration sensitive reels that were
supposed to be adjustable to any position.  I did not like the results
and replaced them.  YMMV.  And it's your money.

-Roland

On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:26:53 -0700, you wrote:

::What are peoples experience with retractable versus non-retractable seat
belts?
::
::John Spaur
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert F. Begani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 02:36:10 -0400

I agree the retractable are not perfect. They can be a pain to use.  Took me
6 months to get use to them.  Will keep them.  Too bad they do not adjust as
easily and retract to get them out of the way. I am considering using a
strap on the seat covers to hold the shoulder seat belt to the seat the way
many cars operate today.

Bob Begani 
BJ8 '67

[email-masked]

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:41:36 +0200

For safety a retractable one is much better. The seat belt sould be tight
in case of an accident to work properly, and NOBODY will bother tightenig a
static belt.

Best results will be achieved with a good quality seat with head rest.

On the other hand, theese items are not period.

G

2013/5/22 Robert F. Begani <[email-masked]>

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:42:12 +0200

Forget the lap belt for safety reasons. The retractable 3-point 
harnesses are fairly comfortable and safe. However the non retractable 
ones are safer if used properly, i.e. adjusted tight. If you go that 
route also consider 4- or 5-point harnesses as used in racing. Much safer.
The problem with not  retractable belts is that some switches, handles 
etc. may not be reached unless you unbuckle.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 22-5-2013 7:12, Roland Wilhelmy schreef:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6344 - datum van uitgifte: 05/21/13
>
>

-- 
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
2995XG Heerjansdam
T: 078-677 1233
E: [email-masked]

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:24:18 +0800

Use non retractables.  The ones they sell now are very easily adjusted, and
are much safer than retractables as there's much less that can go wrong.
 Also, the four seaters are designed to take three point non retractables,
which means folding backrests and all that will still work after
installation.

In addition, because of the low angle of the rear wheel well (where you
would attach the third point) retractables don't work very well because
they will allow too much forward movement and possibly some binding on your
collarbone in an accident.  With the guaranteed firm placement of a fixed
belt, you will have less risk here.

Plus, if things go really tits up, you can sidle out of a fixed belt and
get your head down a bit easier than with a retractable.

Racers never use retractables.

Alan

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM, john spaur <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/healey.nut@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 07:01:57 -0400

John,

I've the retractable belts from BCS in our BT7.  I did make a bracket to 
mount the retractor box to the two studs on the wheel well.  The 
hardware supplied with the belts just picked up one of the studs.

I was thinking that there was some discussion in the past about the 
shortcomings of the three-point belt design on the healey.  Low seat 
back, wraps around the shoulder?  Kees?

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 05/21/2013 11:26 PM, john spaur wrote:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 14:25:35 +0200

The shoulder strap of seatbelts in most roadsters leaves something to be 
desired as the top mounting is usually fairly low. Either on the rear 
wheel well or on the rear quarter inner panel, some on the parcel shelf 
or rear deck. Preferably you would like that slightly higher than the 
shoulder and just behind it.
When fitting seatbelts in these old cars you always have to compromise.
Best safety is offered with fixed seatbelts, adjusted as tight as 
possible. A 3-point harness is acceptable but 4 or 5/6 point belts are 
preferred. Have the lap strap as low as posible, it should be positioned 
in the crease between hip and thigh, most certainly not over the 
abdomen. In a three point harness have the buckle opening at the same 
level or max 2" above the seat cushion. A single lap belt or a single 
shoulder strap are totally unacceptable, they can be the cause of very 
severe head and neck trauma
The goal is to create the same deceleration for the occupant as the car 
in an unfortunate crash to keep the forces exerted on the body as low as 
possible. If there is any play between occupant and harness that will 
increase the deceleration considerably as you will be slammed into the 
harness. The more play the higher the forces. In an automatic seatbelt 
there is always some play, that is why these days pyrotechnics are used 
to spin the reel to tighten the strap as tight as possible in a crash.
A very important safety item, often ignored, is the head restraint. When 
wearing a seatbelt this offers some protection against whiplash and 
severe neck injuries
Do not think you will be left uninjured when wearing a seatbelt in a 
crash. Very common injuries from wearing a seatbelt are a broken 
clavicle, broken ribs, broken breast bone (do not know the English term 
for that). This happens less with a 4 or 5/6 point belt.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 22-5-2013 13:01, Bob Haskell schreef:
> John,
>
> I've the retractable belts from BCS in our BT7.  I did make a bracket 
> to mount the retractor box to the two studs on the wheel well.  The 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Versie: 2013.0.3343 / Virusdatabase: 3162/6346 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 05/21/13

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 07:25:54 -0700 (PDT)

Kees,

Here's a recent example of a Porsche driver who relied on only a lap
belt and suffered serious head injuries when he struck a tree. 
http://tinyurl.com/p9oh6b4   The police cited speed as a factor, but that area
is known for moose wandering around on the highway as well.  It's a sobering
story and reminds us we take risks when driving our old cars that are more
substantial than modern car drivers.  

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
________________________________
 From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:25 AM
Subject: Re:
[Healeys] Seat belts

When fitting seatbelts in these old cars you always
have to compromise.
Best safety is offered with fixed seatbelts, adjusted as
tight as 
possible. A 3-point harness is acceptable but 4 or 5/6 point belts
are 
preferred. Have the lap strap as low as posible, it should be positioned
in the crease between hip and thigh, most certainly not over the 
abdomen. In
a three point harness have the buckle opening at the same 
level or max 2"
above the seat cushion. A single lap belt or a single 
shoulder strap are
totally unacceptable, they can be the cause of very 
severe head and neck
trauma

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

[email-masked]