Subject: [Healeys] Oil Under the Head Gasket - and damn Rodents!

From: Mike Tobin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:30:25 -0400

Pulled the head off the BT7 today.  After I'd undone all the bolts I was
set for the usual assault with the rubber mallet to break the head free
from the block.  However, a quick, slight test pry and it separated from
the block easily.  Cool, I thought.  When I puled the head off I found oil
under the head gasket (some on top, but not so much).  The oil appears to
have come down the holes for the head bolts and gotten between the block
and the gasket. I've never seen this before with a head removal.  Is this
normal or is the head cracked (I understand both can be true)?

To the rodents.  We live in the middle of the woods, so mice are a
constant.  In disassembling the beast I've gotten more or less used to
cleaning up after them (yuck)!).  It was too much though when I pulled the
exhaust manifold and noticed something in the exhaust port - four or five
whole acorns tucked neatly around the valve stem, and they had stared to
sprout!
Cheers,
Mike Tobin
Pepperell, Mass
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:39:08 -0400 (EDT)

It might be a good idea to plug/cap your tail pipes with something they can
not eat/remove.
Gary Hodson

From: Mike Tobin [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 19:35:19 +0000 (UTC)

As an aside, rodent poop scares the crap out of me (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus ) 

Wear a good respirator. 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

[email-masked]