Subject: Re: [Healeys] Where to put my mirrors

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:30:29 -0700

Listers - I have just gone through this procedure with my just completed 
BJ8.  I used the clip-on mirror - it's a Moss item, as well as most other 
suppliers - clipped onto the vent window glass as high as possible, while 
trying to decide where to drill holes in my new paint.  Didn't like it - the 
positioning interfered with side forward vision, and the vent window cannot 
be opened without losing the mirror function.  Didn't look too bad 
aesthetically, but not quite right in my opinion.  The mirror can also be 
clipped onto the side glass chrome frame, but you lose the use of the top 2 
inches or so of the side window travel that way.  I know of other owners who 
love them - it's an individual personal decision.

Finally decided to go with the tradition style 'Lucas wing mirror' mounted 
on the door - both sides.  The advantage of this mirror is the outward cant 
of the arm which gives ample clearance for the vent windows on the BJ7 - 
BJ8.  Also, the mounting style of the head allows enough pivot to be able to 
use the right mirror quite easily.  It's a single stud mount from below, so 
I 'cheated' a bit and pivoted the base slightly so as not to have as extreme 
a head angle on the right mirror.  Only down side of any bottom mount mirror 
on the doors is that the door panels have to com off to install (or tighten 
/ maintain in the future), and we all know what a PIA that is!  I used flat 
glass mirrors, but can easily change one or both heads to convex at any 
point (and back, if I want).  In my opinion, the BJ8 looks fine 
aesthetically with these mirrors installed. As I said, everyone will have a 
different opinion about that, and this system would probably not look all 
that good on the roadsters, Although I have seen a couple with these units 
mounted, and the sidescreens don't interfere with the mirrors (of vice 
versa).

I can send photos to anyone that wishes to see what the car looks like with 
this mount.  I also have photos with the clip-on installed.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Greg Mandas
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 10:03 AM
To: [email-masked] ; Steve Gerow
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Where to put my mirrors

Thanks All,

I'm becoming less and less interested in drilling holes in the metal work 
and
considering clip-ons. I would appreciate any suggestions on where to get
them.

The ones I saw from Moss clamp onto the glass in the wing vent.

That doesn't apeal to me.

Greg

--- On Mon, 7/1/13, Steve Gerow <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Steve Gerow <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Where to put my mirrors
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Monday, July 1, 2013, 8:41 AM
> FWIW - I like the door position.
> Bought an extra Lucas convex mirror and
> used it to replace the flat mirror on the driver's side -
> gives a good angle
> view.
>
>
>
> For BJ8s there are a number of hot rod billet-style mirrors
> that clamp (no
> holes required) onto the window track at eye level. They use
> them on Model
> As and Deuces.
>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
> Steve Gerow
>
> Altadena, CA, USA
>
> BN6
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 06:12:31 +1000

G'day Greg

You can also get these mirrors that clamp onto the front edge of the door - 
no drilling. Holden Vintage & Classic sell them:

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?sg=2&pgCode=092&sgName=Hardware&pgName=Mirrors&agCode=0256&agName=Clamp+on+Mirrors

I have them on both sides of my 100

Cheers

Peter

-----Original Message----- 
From: Greg Mandas
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:03 AM
To: [email-masked] ; Steve Gerow
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Where to put my mirrors

Thanks All,

Greg

> holes required) onto the window track at eye level. They use

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of mirror.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:16:47 -0700

Can send a photo. BTW the link just takes you to home page. I looked at
mirror page, but there a few door mount units

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
please excuse typos. Sent from my phone
On Jul 3, 2013 1:12 PM, "Peter & Veronica" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 18:27:21 -0400

I've been reading the compliments that the clip-on mirrors have been
receiving.

So far noone has mentioned the horrible quality of the optics, - its the worst
mirror I've ever seen in my life - I can't recognize my own reflection in it!

And noone has told of the fact that the mirror must be rotated to the absolute
extreme end of its adjustment in order to be useful.

I received my clip-on mirror from Moss three weeks ago and mounted it on the
rear edge near the top of the vent window glass of my BJ8, using the metal
shim and one of the 2 strips of rubber provided. I found the mirror was
definitely beneficial, but...

I can live with the poor adjustment and the unaesthetic appearance doesn't
bother me, but I just couldn't stand seeing those horrible low quality optics
on my beautiful car, so I removed it. I'm thinking of going to a mirror &
glass shop to have a new piece of mirror fitted.

How do others feel about the optics of their clip on mirrors from Moss or from
other?

-Dave Murphy
Dearborn Michigan

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 16:37:17 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> XK's Unlimited (google) has two varieties of them. They clamp on the chrome
upright of the vent window--I've used the rectangular one for years--love it.
There is one problem though--you cannot roll your window all the way up.
>
> tom
>
> ---- Greg Mandas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> =============
> Thanks All,
>
and
> The ones I saw from Moss clamp onto the glass in the wing vent.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]