Subject: [Healeys] Valve clatter when cold on 100 ------For the Archives

From: "Thomas Willig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 12:55:28 +0200

Hello,

after a long time investigating  I found the answer to this mysterious
valve clatter.  When the engine was overhauled, also the rockershaft was
replaced together with the bushings in the rockers. The oil lubricating
these  bushings travels through the rockershaft and enters through a
hole in the shaft into a  grove in the rockerbushing  through a small
hole, lubricating them and letting the rockers "float" on the
rockershaft. The oil leaves the rockers through a tiny hole which can be
seen when looking at the upper side of the rockers.  On rocker no 1 this
hole was not drilled through the bushing during the overhaul process.
The result of this is the mysterious valve clatter.

Why? When the engine is stopped  the rockershaft  is not pressurized by
oil anymore and air enters the hollow rockershaft. Normally this air is
expelled through the small holes in the rockers...not on rocker no.1  in
my case. This "air lock" resulted in a rocker running dry on the shaft
until -after some time running- the air was expelled from the shaft and
the rocker correctly lubricated.  The lesson? Make sure that after a
rocker overhaul the small holes in the rockers are correctly drilled
into the rocker bushing.

I thought that this solution should be noted in the archives, maybe
someone will face a similar problem in the future.

Regards

Thomas Willig

Thomas Willig twillig at ruda.de
0clatter%20when%20cold%20on%20100&In-Reply-To=%3C4E9D161D2AF9984C94D841B
0A0D5A1160E1567%40dw01.ruda.local%3E>
Fri Sep 2 02:21:45 MDT 2011

Hi Alan,

no, I am a traditionalist and use the original filter. I will check if
the ball in the Tecalemit housing seats properly. Nevertheless a very
interesting hint.....many thanks

Regards

Thomas

Von: Alan Seigrist [mailto:healey.nut at gmail.com
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys> ]
Gesendet: Freitag, 2. September 2011 10:09
An: Thomas Willig
Cc: Healey List
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Valve clatter when cold on 100

Thomas -

Did you put on a spin on oil filter adaptor?  If so, you should use a
filter that has an anti-drainback valve.  Fram PH43 is a number I know
offhand.

Sounds to me the oil galleries are running dry because the filter
doesn't have a drainback valve on it.

Try that.

Alan

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Thomas Willig <twillig at ruda.de
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys> > wrote:

Since the complete rebuild of my engine I encounter a valve clatter
every time when starting the engine from cold. To be more precise,
"cold" means when the engine has stood overnight and has reached ambient
temperatures. After 30 seconds the clatter stops. It sounds like valve
clatter from one valve only. Any suggestions?

Regards

Thomas Willig

1956 BN2
_______________________________________________
Healeys at autox.team.net
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive <http://www.team.net/archive>
<http://www.team.net/forums%0d%0aUnsubscribe/Manage> >
: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys