Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN-1 or BN-2 ?

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 15:37:10 +0800

I think sewage lines appeared on later BN1s, 4 sp gearbox was a common
upgrade.

I'm no help, I know.

On Friday, July 26, 2013, Robin wrote:

> I have purchased a basket case BN-1  registered as BN1222656 which places
> it
> late BN-1 as per all the usual suspects. Number plate is missing. Problem
> is
> it looks like a BN-2. 4 spd tranny, swage line behind rear wheels and body
> number 14198 in hood and prop rod bracket.
>
> Any ideas how to ID for sure ?
>
> Dave Rettew
> 59 BT7
> 55 BN-1 ??
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Alan Bromfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:22:46 +0100

I've heard of Barn finds but ...............

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Alan Seigrist
Sent: 26 July 2013 08:37
To: Robin
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN-1 or BN-2 ?

I think sewage lines appeared on later BN1s, 4 sp gearbox was a common
upgrade.
  _________________________________________
(______________ Alan Bromfield_______________)
        (_______\____1957-BN4____/________)
                (__tinyurl.com/healeyforum _)
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:25:38 +0800

Bloody iPhone autocorrect.  I constantly send work emails that make me
sound like I'm functionally illiterate....

On Friday, July 26, 2013, Alan Bromfield wrote:

> From: [email-masked] <javascript:;> [mailto:
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>]
> Cc: [email-masked] <javascript:;>

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Korn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:26:39 +0000

The 222656 number should put the body number in the 7000 range. Why is it
registered as a BN1?
Engine number?
Did you check for body numbers under the cockpit surrounds and on the front
body tray,you have to take off the bumper for that one.
Like Alan mentioned, the sewage line came in late in Bn1 and the 4 speed is a
usual switch.
I know most parts could have been changed but you could look at the
electrics,control box,starter,dynamo,ignition switch etc and check their
dates.
My BN2 is from feb 56 and most dated parts are still original and are stamped
1 56

How about the dash, is it cut for the key and OD as a BN1 or 2?

Body number 14198 would put it as a BN2 around the 232xxx number, maybe it
should be BN2 232656...you say BN1222656.  Is it without the L being RHD?

Just a few things That might help! Contact Randy Hicks the 100 registrar and
he could tell you if either number is on his list.

Richard

Sent from my iPad

>> Any ideas how to ID for sure ?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 06:38:08 -0500

According to the Clausager book the "sewage" (I am guessing we can thank a 
"smart phone") line likely changed sometime in early BN2 production, but it 
is not recorded exactly when, other differences, the BN2 front brake drums 
were widened from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" and the front fender was modified for 
more clearance in the cutout for the front tire, which was raised a little 
more than an inch I think.

The BN2s had the later rear axle, but the lat BN1s had it too, so not much 
help there.

Greg Lemon

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Alan Seigrist" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 2:37 AM
To: "Robin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN-1 or BN-2 ?

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:26:30 -0400 (EDT)

Dave
Body number 14198 is just a few hundred numbers, not necessarily cars, from
the last BN2 produced in July 1956. Your VIN is January 1955. Looks like a
title problem. By the way our car is an early BN2, 228086, and there is not a
swage line behind the rear wheels.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin <[email-masked]>

I have purchased a basket case BN-1  registered as BN1222656 which places it
ate BN-1 as per all the usual suspects. Number plate is missing. Problem is
t looks like a BN-2. 4 spd tranny, swage line behind rear wheels and body
umber 14198 in hood and prop rod bracket.
Any ideas how to ID for sure ?
Dave Rettew
9 BT7
5 BN-1 ??
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:38:43 -0400

BN1 222656 Would have been built mid Jan. 1955.

(Although it is in a period where the chassis numbers jump around a lot with
#222641 being built Jan. 4 '55 and #222644 being built Feb. 9 '55. #222664 was
built Jan. 11, '55.)

Body number #14198 was built mid June 1956 and would be a very late BN2 body
number.

Where is the key location? High or low on the dash? Is there a body number on
the inside of the cockpit surround pieces?

How is the rear of the transmission supported? there is a difference between 3
& 4 speeds. Does it look factory or makeshift?

Randy

Randy Hicks
AHCA 100 Registrar
[email-masked]
www.austinhealey100m.com

it
is
> Any ideas how to ID for sure ?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Al Malin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:40:56 -0400

iPhone autocorrect can be turned off

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_turn_off_autocorrect_ios_iphone_5.html

[email-masked]

---

From: Robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:20:08 -0500

Thanks for the ideas! The alloy cockpit molding has 2 body numbers, 14198 and
13273 on one piece. What is the difference in tranny support? The car is all
apart but four studs in the top of the frame near the "X" appear to be
factory.

On another note, I am missing lots  of bits and pieces. Anyone know of a BN1
or 2 parts car that might be for sale?

Engine is siezed (soaking now) and tranny looks good but can't be turned by
hand when in gear. should I be able to turn it (the helical gears rock back
and forth a bit but wont turn....... normal?)

Thanks again !!!!

Dave Rettew

Sent from my iPad

number.
>
> Where is the key location? High or low on the dash? Is there a body number
on the inside of the cockpit surround pieces?
>
> How is the rear of the transmission supported? there is a difference between
3 & 4 speeds. Does it look factory or makeshift?
it
is

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:48:08 -0600

Save yourself the time and trouble and money.. mine's on eBay  1954 BN1
title but BN2 chassis. Don't ask me..
dave 

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Robin
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 1:20 PM
To: Randy Hicks
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN-1 or BN-2 ?

Thanks for the ideas! The alloy cockpit molding has 2 body numbers, 14198
and
13273 on one piece. What is the difference in tranny support? The car is all
apart but four studs in the top of the frame near the "X" appear to be
factory.

Thanks again !!!!

Dave Rettew

Sent from my iPad

> (Although it is in a period where the chassis numbers jump around a lot
with
#222641 being built Jan. 4 '55 and #222644 being built Feb. 9 '55. #222664
was
built Jan. 11, '55.)
number.
it
is

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:08:07 -0400

Don't understand why a piece of cockpit surround would have 2 numbers.  ????
#13273 is a Mid April '56 build date.

Is there a body number on the bonnet support bracket? Looks like below. (list
will strip it out I know)

Randy

> Thanks for the ideas! The alloy cockpit molding has 2 body numbers, 14198
and 13273 on one piece. What is the difference in tranny support? The car is
all apart but four studs in the top of the frame near the "X" appear to be
factory.
>> (Although it is in a period where the chassis numbers jump around a lot
with #222641 being built Jan. 4 '55 and #222644 being built Feb. 9 '55.
#222664 was built Jan. 11, '55.)
>>
>> Body number #14198 was built mid June 1956 and would be a very late BN2
body number.
>>
>> How is the rear of the transmission supported? there is a difference
between 3 & 4 speeds. Does it look factory or makeshift?
it
is

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Korn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:20:48 +0000

Bonnet support bracket? Can I see a picture of that too. Or do you mean the
trunk support bracket?

Richard
p.s. your car looks awesome :)

Sent from my iPad

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:22:08 -0400

Yes I meant Boot!!!!  Rushing again.

Randy

trunk support bracket?

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:00:01 -0700

Randy,

I took his statement to mean that of the four pieces of cockpit trim, there
were two distinct and different numbers, 14198 on one or more, and 13273 on
another.

C

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Randy Hicks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:16:36 -0400

"on one piece".  I only read it one way. One piece with 2 numbers!  :-)  May
not be what was meant but......  :-)

Randy

On Jul 26, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Curtis Arndt wrote:

> "14198 and 13273 on one piece."

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:31:01 -0400 (EDT)

Our early BN2 has the BN2 type larger front wheel opening with the slot under
the chrome spear and the BN1 style scuttle seals.
Aloha
Perry

Curt wrote in part:
One more BN1/2 difference is the scuttle seal on the front shroud for the
doors.  On the BN2s the rubber seals were attached to the fenders and shroud
edge with a metal bracket screwed to the body. The BN1s had a much simpler
rubber seal attached to the shroud by being glued to a rolled channel on the
shroud.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]