Subject: [Healeys] Disc brake conversion

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 22:48:29 -0500

Any idea on the cost of parts for a front disc brake conversion kit for a '59
BN4?  How hard are they to install?  Where would I buy the kit?  Moss?
Thanks.
Chris in Iowa.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 06:12:18 -0700

Cris in Iowa wrote:

<<<
Any idea on the cost of parts for a front disc brake conversion kit for a
'59
BN4?  How hard are they to install?  Where would I buy the kit?  Moss?
Thanks.
Chris in Iowa.

Denis Welch sells a complete kit for #645.00 (approx $1032 + shipping)

See:

http://www.bighealey.co.uk/content/front-disc-brake-conversion-kit

This kit uses the later TR6 calipers which have larger pistons and use the
late BJ8-style pads. The brackets supplied have 3.25 centers on the
mounting holes. Later setups went to 3.5 centers (see below).

Suggest using the Moss Classic Gold ceramic pads (approx $30) instead of the
Delphi pads as supplied by Welch.

Dont be in a big hurry to add a booster, as the ceramic pads, correctly
broken in, require the same or less pressure than the drums using the drum
.75 master cylinder.

I sourced my own Toyota 4-piston front disc setup on late BJ8 hubs. 1980s
Toyota calipers and pads are cheaper and more powerful than the Girlings and
use the thicker, later BJ8 disc.

See:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/healey_discs

One note here: Welch also sells a 3.5 bracket which would allow the use of
late BJ8 or Toyota setup. You would have to verify the bolt pattern would
fit your hubs.

Early 70s 4-piston Volvo Girlings could also be used.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

[email-masked]