Subject: [Healeys] Timing Basics

From: "Eoin Galvin (eoingalvin)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 18:22:54 -0400

Hi all
I have two questions that I need help with,I am sure they are very basic to most of you but to me the novice well that's a different story.B 
I have been trying to do a tune up on the car and am having no luck. Its a 54 BN1B Engine #1B214503M (I believe every thing is stock). My biggest mistake was completely removing the distributor and not marking the exact location of the shaft and rotor. After doing a bit of reading I realized I had to find TDC now.B 
In order to find TDC I made a pointer that fit into one of the timing chain bolt holes close to the pulley (as per Don Hardie)
Q#1 B I believe I have now found T.D.C of cylinder #1 and made a mark on the pulley.I now have to mark the pulley 6B0 (5/16 of a inch) before TDC . Where should that mark go. B  I am looking at the pulley from the front of the car with my mark at 12 O clock. Is it to the left or right ?
Q#2 How do I get the correct location to insert my distributor back in. I am guessing with the TDC and the pointer lined up, the leading edge of the rotor should just start touching the contact of lead #1 of the distributor cap. ???
I should mention the car was running before I started... just putting a little soot out the exhaust. B  Ooh if I could only go back there :)
Any help would be appreciated.B 
Eoin Galvin
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 08:02:02 -0400

Hi Eoin, you are very much on the right track.
There is actually an arrow pressed into the timing chain cover and a notch in
the rear flange of the front pulley to indicate TDC.
Before you install the distributor you need to confirm that the engine is on
the compression stroke of #1 cyl.
The easiest way to do that is to lift the rocker cover and confirm that both
valves on #1 cyl are closed in which case the rockers will have clearance.
Once you have confirmed this you can install the distributor as you
described.
The timing is correct when the points open at 5/16" before TDC.
Remove the distributor cap and use a test light to indicate when the points
are open (have the ignition on).
With the car in top gear nudge the car forward, thus turning the engine, until
the points open...the test light comes on...then check that the notch is the
correct distance before the arrow.
It may take a couple of attempts to hit the correct spot.
Adjust where the points open by rotating the distributor very slightly.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Eoin Galvin (eoingalvin)" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b2013-b07-b20 6:26 PM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] Timing Basics

Hi all
I have two questions that I need help with,I am sure they are very basic to
most of you but to me the novice well that's a different story.B
I have been trying to do a tune up on the car and am having no luck. Its a 54
BN1B Engine #1B214503M (I believe every thing is stock). My biggest mistake
was completely removing the distributor and not marking the exact location of
the shaft and rotor. After doing a bit of reading I realized I had to find TDC
now.B
In order to find TDC I made a pointer that fit into one of the timing chain
bolt holes close to the pulley (as per Don Hardie)
Q#1 B I believe I have now found T.D.C of cylinder #1 and made a mark on the
pulley.I now have to mark the pulley 6B0 (5/16 of a inch) before TDC . Where
should that mark go. B  I am looking at the pulley from the front of the car
with my mark at 12 O clock. Is it to the left or right ?
Q#2 How do I get the correct location to insert my distributor back in. I am
guessing with the TDC and the pointer lined up, the leading edge of the rotor
should just start touching the contact of lead #1 of the distributor cap. ???
I should mention the car was running before I started... just putting a little
soot out the exhaust. B  Ooh if I could only go back there :)
Any help would be appreciated.B
Eoin Galvin
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:13:07 -0400 (EDT)

Shouldn't that be when the test light turns off?
Gary Hodson

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Salter [email-masked]

With the car in top gear nudge the car forward, thus turning the engine,
until

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:44:39 -0400

No....if the light is on the moving point it turns ON when the points open

-----Original Message-----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b2013-b07-b21 10:13 AM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>;
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing Basics

-----Original Message-----

[email-masked]