Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil cooler

From: "Larry Varley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:38:21 +1000

Something doesn't sound right, you get more oil pressure when the rev's
drop? i.e. when you go back into overdrive? What sort of oil are you
running?
Cheers
Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Fred Wescoe
Sent: Monday, 15 July 2013 10:10 AM
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Oil cooler

I am considering adding an oil cooler to my car.  Moss offers a package with
SS lines and a 13 row radiator.  Moss also offers an installation kit (for
less $) with rubber hoses and the cooler is separate.  The coolers are 10,
13, 16 and 19 row radiators.  I drive the car in 50 - 75 mile jaunts at
speeds of 60 - 70 mph with some stop and go.  I do occasional spirited
driving through the mountains, including long uphill climbs.  Sometimes the
oil pressure will drop to 35 psi on the long hills and high speed as the car
stays out of overdrive.  When the car drops back into overdrive, the
pressure will hold at 40 psi at 3000 rpm.  The car will run about 200
degrees on the uphill climbs.

My questions really revolve around how much does the oil cooler help to
maintain the oil pressure and running temp of the car.  How many rows do I
need in the radiator?  In this case, are more rows better?

Are there sources other than Moss for a high quality (SS lines) set up?

What is the collective wisdom and results of the list from those who have
installed oil coolers?  How many rows for the radiator and what sources are
there?

Thanks as always!!

Fred
63BJ7
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:11:53 +0200

Lubrication is not all about oil pressure, the flow is also important. 
If the oil pressure drops a bit when the engine becomes very hot, do not 
worry. It means that the flow of oil is increased which is a good thing 
as it will help to transport heat away from the bearing surfaces. 35 psi 
when very hot does not sound as if anything is amiss. Maximum 
permissible oil temperature in the sump is around 1300C, normal oil 
temperatures are much lower than that though.
Under normal circumstances there is no need for an oil cooler, but if 
you are doing some serious competition work you may need one. It is wise 
to install an oil temperature gauge first, just to see what the actual 
pattern is.
A 13 row radiator would generally be fine but you can choose more. Make 
sure, however, that you also install a thermostat in the oil lines to 
make sure that the oil is reaching its proper temperature and is not 
over cooled.
Any tuning shop should be able to help you out as these items are more 
or less generic.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 15-7-2013 2:10, Fred Wescoe schreef:
> I am considering adding an oil cooler to my car.  Moss offers a package
> with SS lines and a 13 row radiator.  Moss also offers an installation kit
> (for less $) with rubber hoses and the cooler is separate.  The coolers are
> 10, 13, 16 and 19 row radiators.  I drive the car in 50 - 75 mile jaunts at
> oil pressure will drop to 35 psi on the long hills and high speed as the
> car stays out of overdrive.  When the car drops back into overdrive, the
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2013.0.3349 / Virusdatabase: 3204/6490 - datum van uitgifte: 07/14/13

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:46:28 +1000

Fred, I really wouldn't worry about an oil cooler in a Healey road car.
If you have your heart set on it, then add an inline thermostat valve.
I had a Ford 1600 powered Lenham bodied Sprite many years ago. It had a 13 row
oil cooler and a temp guage with a sender in the sump.
Oil Temp guage never went over 160 deg F.......
Short answer was I added a thermostat valve to the oil line. I don't think the
valve ever actually opened, even on the track. And at least the oil finally
got to operating temp....
In a Big Healey, the oil temp on the road is fine, unless something else is
wrong. Lots and lots of oil to dissipate heat....
If you have a dry sump, and have reduced the oil volume dramatically, then yes
Fred, consider an oil cooler.
If its pretty stock, or even fast road, even in Sydney Australia, you won't
ever need an oil cooler based on oil temperature.
Put in an oil temp guage in your sump first, and see if I'm wrong.
Cold oil does far more damage than hot oil in road cars - adding an oil cooler
without a thermostat valve, and temp guage in the sump is a recipe for
increased wear. You need to be at operating temperature ASAP with oil.
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]