Subject: [Healeys] steering box oil seal

From: Richard Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:38:53 -0400

I am looking for some help with my steering oil leak.  Since I installed it
there has been a small but continuous leak.  So before I closed up the
front end, making life more difficult I decided to pull the steering column
to double up the seal.  Upon removal I noticed that the PO had already
placed a second seal over what appeared to be the original seal.  I tried
like heck to remove this original seal, in breaking the handle of my seal
puller, butchering a series of chisels and other tools, almost blew myself
up with a propane torch all to no avail.  Here are pictures of what's left
of the "seal",
https://picasaweb.google.com/110087349657726745747/57AustinHealey#5902464093826732930

So what I'm wondering is, is this really a seal or could it be a part of
the casing?  What is the best method to fix my now even more difficult
problem?  Or should I do what I did which was to place a new seal over it
after cleaning it all up, put in Penrite steering gook (oil), close it up
and pray?

Thoughts?

Here's a link to my entire restoration album for those who want to see
other pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110087349657726745747/57AustinHealey#5902464093826732930

thanks for the always excellent help.
Rich Berman
'57 Longbridge BN4
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys