Subject: Re: [Healeys] How Fast Does My Drive Shaft Spin??

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:27:33 -0600

Price Lindsay wrote:
> I am trying to install cruise control in my car and need to know the rate of
> spin of the drive shaft on a BJ8 while in overdrive?  I'm looking for the
> number of revolutions per mile. This is a stock car with stock tires, rear
> end, transmission and over drive.
>

The revolutions of the driveshaft per mile will be the same regardless of
what gear the transmission is in.  There are various tire size calculators
out there, you need to find the revolutions per mile for your size tire, 
then
multiply that by the final drive ratio to get the driveshaft speed.

mjb.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Skip Saunders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:45:06 -0400

Yes indeed....that is exactly why the speedometer cable takeoff is from the
back end of the overdrive...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mark J Bradakis
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:28 PM
To: Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] How Fast Does My Drive Shaft Spin??

Price Lindsay wrote:
> I am trying to install cruise control in my car and need to know the 
> rate of spin of the drive shaft on a BJ8 while in overdrive?  I'm 
> looking for the number of revolutions per mile. This is a stock car 
> with stock tires, rear end, transmission and over drive.
>

then multiply that by the final drive ratio to get the driveshaft speed.

[email-masked]

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 00:13:27 +0200

Price
Your rear axle gear ratio is 3.909:1. That means that the prop shaft 
turns 3.9 revolutions for each wheel turn. The circumference of your 
tires is approximately 1.90 meters (circa 75 inches). That means that 
your wheels will turn 526 times per km, or 846 times per mile. Your prop 
shaft turns 3.9 times those figures, thus 2050 per km or 3300 per mile.

Per in Sweden

Price Lindsay skrev 2013-07-10 23:19:
> TIA
> Price Lindsay
> 67 BJ8
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: David Nock British Car Specialists <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:15:52 -0700

Which cruise control are you installing we have installed several in
the last few years and the best set up we found for the vehicle speed
was to use a speed generator that fits in the speedometer cable. You
will need to have your cable modified so that you have a short cable
from the trans to the generator and then another cable from the
generator to the instrument.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
Stockton Ca 95205
209-948-8767

www.britishcarspecialists.com

o?<

Please feel free to view an interview with the Nock's in 2009
	Enjoy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTTRYkbQzs
.
.

On Jul 10, 2013, at 2:19 PM, Price Lindsay wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Price Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 18:39:37 -0500

Thanks David -

I'm installing the Rostra 250-1223. I have the magnetic speed generator. I
also have the other type as well but the threads are too large to fit the
angle drive (I presume its for an american car). Can I cut the cable and
splice the generator in?  What do I need for this to work and where do I go to
get it?

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2013, at 5:15 PM, David Nock British Car Specialists
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Which cruise control are you installing we have installed several in the
last few years and the best set up we found for the vehicle speed was to use a
speed generator that fits in the speedometer cable. You will need to have your
cable modified so that you have a short cable from the trans to the generator
and then another cable from the generator to the instrument.
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Price Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 18:41:52 -0500

Thanks Per!  I love this list!!

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Per Schoerner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Price
> Your rear axle gear ratio is 3.909:1. That means that the prop shaft turns
3.9 revolutions for each wheel turn. The circumference of your tires is
approximately 1.90 meters (circa 75 inches). That means that your wheels will
turn 526 times per km, or 846 times per mile. Your prop shaft turns 3.9 times
those figures, thus 2050 per km or 3300 per mile.
>> end, transmission and over drive.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:25:33 +0200

Price
If you decide to tap the speed from the speedometer cable then you have 
the requested number on your speedometer, after the model number, 
probably SN 6125/22, you have the speedometer calibration number, 
probably 1000. That is the number of turns per mile for the speedometer 
to show 60 and advance the trip/odometers with one (mile). If you want 
to calculate for yourself the speedometer drive gear ratio is 3.2:1, 
e.g. for every 3.2 turns of the prop shaft the speedometer cable turns once.

Per

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 07:58:26 -0500

<< On 7/10/2013 6:39 PM, Price Lindsay wrote:

Can I cut the cable and splice the generator in?  >>
  
Price, you could but I STRONGLY do NOT recommend doing so.
Especially if still original ! !  <G>

<<  What do I need for this to work and where do I go to get it?  >>

Any speedo shop or (at least just adjunct to me) a Locksmith.
" Let your fingers do the walking ! " ! <G>

What I would do is remove cable from car and take to above.
Have them make a SHORT cable to go from BJ-8 end to Adapter.
As short as possible ! !  Then have them make an ADAPTER or cable
to go from Adapter to Tranny.  If it has to be a cable make sure that
it's long enough that it can make a GENTLE 'loop' so that it does not
bind.

Understand ??  HTHs, Per ! ! !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:                      www.justbrits.com

PS:  For those illiterate or "Is English his second language?" Nope.
LOL tho ! !
SO:
<G> EQUALS/MEANS "Grin".
LOL EQUALS/MEANS "Laughing Out Loud".
HTHs EQUALS/MEANS "Hope This/That Helps".

LMAO  ! ! !

PPS:  Da*n, forgot that I gotta EXPLAIN ! !
LMAO EQUALS/MEANS "Laughing My Ass Off".
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]