Subject: [Healeys] Piston rings

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 16:55:02 +0800

Ok, thus is like oil arguments on this list!

Anyway, once the rings set, honestly there is no meaningful loss of power
or any change in wear whether you use 3 rings or 5.  There's advantages for
racers to use side cut pistons with three rings because of the reduction in
centripetal forces on the crank, but if you're running around town and the
bling bling shows my feeling is 5 rings are notably better as it helps
control oil burn and maintain even compression over time, IMHO.

If you have five ring pistons, use five rings otherwise you might get
piston skirt wear and off worn cylinders.  If you really want three rings,
then get three ring pistons.

On Friday, August 2, 2013, Elton Schulz wrote:

> Fellow Listers,
> The County pistons from our current suppliers have grooves for 5 rings.
> Should all 5 be installed? My engine builder says that 5 rings is overkill
> and causes piston drag which results in loss of power and gas mileage. What
> is your opinion? How many rings should I use?
> Thanks in advance,
> Elton, BJ7
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/healey.nut@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys