Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:32:05 -0400

I need some ides here.

I removed the seats and trans tunnel and checked the overdrive electrical
relays and dash switch.  The dash switch, throttle switch and the gear
selector switch appear to work just fine, when tested electrically.  The
solenoid appears to work most of the time.  But, after perhaps 12 movements
of the gear selector, back and forth, in neutral, I discovered that the
solenoid does not always turn off.  The battery is at full charge.  This is
the probable cause of the overdrive not releasing when turned off or moved
out of 3rd/4th gear.  I pulled the solenoid and will work on cleaning and
setting the contacts tomorrow.  What should the point gap setting be?

As long as the interior and the trans are opened up, I removed the
operating valve to check it.  I watched the ball jump as the solenoid was
activated and that seems to be OK, except when the solenoid does not work.
Now, after removing the valve parts, of course the transmission has just
been filled with new Red Line fluid, how do I determine if the hole in the
bottom of the shaft is clean?  I would like to confirm it even though I see
the ball jump.  I don't want to dump the new fluid but how do I check it?
I can't see the bottom hole through the fluid.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Fred
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys