Subject: Re: [Healeys] Porting a BJ7 head

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 14:09:04 +1000

Hi Elton, in my opinion more harm than good is often done by modifying 
these heads. Given the engine spec, I would leave it alone.
Cheers
Larry Varley
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/nash/docs.html

On 25/08/2013 1:52 PM, Elton Schulz wrote:
> Fellow Listers,
> Any benefit of porting a BJ7 head? I'm using standard pistons, 
> standard compression and a BJ8 cam grind. Also two standard HS6 carbs.
> Thanks in advance,
> Elton
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 22:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

I had the head for my BN2 pocket ported by APT here in Riverside, California. 
I have not assembled it to the engine yet.  I had it done because part of the
ports were gouged to facilitate the weld repair between 2 & 3 cylinder.  It
was done to even out the flow more than a performance enhancement.  Anyone
ported the four cylinder head?  

Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5
>________________________________
> From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked] 
>Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:09 PM
>Subject: Re: [Healeys] Porting a BJ7 head
> 
>
>Hi Elton, in my opinion more
harm than good is often done by modifying these heads. Given the engine spec,
I would leave it alone.
>> Any benefit of porting a BJ7 head? I'm
using standard pistons, standard compression and a BJ8 cam grind. Also two
standard HS6 carbs.
>Support Team.Net
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Archive:
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
>[email-masked]
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 05:34:58 +0000

If you are using HS6 carbs, there is NO point in porting your head. Go with
some HD8s and some headers....and then there will be a benefit to porting your
head.

> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 23:52:29 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Healeys] Porting a BJ7 head
>
> Fellow Listers,
> Any benefit of porting a BJ7 head? I'm using standard pistons, standard
> compression and a BJ8 cam grind. Also two standard HS6 carbs.
> Thanks in advance,
> Elton
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 10:23:27 +0200

If that will be the only thing you do to the engine there is hardly any 
gain to be had from porting the head apart from may be some matching of 
the inlet manifold, gasket and head. But if the orifices in the head are 
bigger than the orifices in the manifold just leave alone.
Anyway if you are porting it is not only the head, but also the inlet 
manifold at both the head side and the carburettor side and the exhaust 
manifold at both ends plus you should even out the combustion chambers 
and have the valve seats reground triple angle fashion. A lot of work 
which will only show results when racing when a lot of other mods would 
have been carried out. e.g. Webers/Dell'Orto's, HC pistons, larger 
valves, big bore exhaust, balanced crankshaft/rods/pistons, hot camshaft 
etc.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 25-8-2013 5:52, Elton Schulz schreef:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 19:12:24 +1000

G'day Elton

I have just had the engine of the BN3 rebuilt. It is an early smooth
crankcase six-cylinder and was fitted with a 12 port head by Geoff Price of
the Donald Healey Motor Company in 1962.

As part of the engine rebuild the cylinder head was also done. After a
complete clean in a caustic solution the combustion chambers were ported but
not polished. The sharp point at the top of the heart shape were rounded to
avoid hot spots and each chamber was cc'd so they are all the same. Then the
inlets/outlets were machined to match the manifold gasket. New valves,
springs, guides and inserts were fitted. The rocker gear was also rebuilt
with a new shaft and bushes.

I will be using a standard exhaust manifold and twin H6 carburettors. It is
fitted with standard 2,912cc pistons and a slightly warmer than BJ8
camshaft.

Can send photos if you wish.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Elton Schulz
Sent: Sunday, 25 August 2013 1:52 PM
To: Healey List
Subject: [Healeys] Porting a BJ7 head

Fellow Listers,

[email-masked]

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:29:32 +0200

Theese heads are pretty good, and the ports are more than big enough for
the given spec. There are 3 areass that can be developed: the valve seats,
a nice 3 angle valve seat cut is definiatly a good thing, matching the
manifold and head ports can also be a good idea and maybe finishing the
rough casting marks (this one is more for the spirit then for
performance...). Thats all.
Much-much more could be done with balancing the moving parts, and making a
perfect tune-up preferably on a rolling road.

gergo

2013/8/25 Patrick & Caroline Quinn <[email-masked]>

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Elton Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 23:17:20 -0400

Thanks to everyone who replied. The consensus seems to be that there was 
little to gain by porting the head. So I decided to leave well enough alone.
Elton

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Healeys] Porting a BJ7 head
Date: 	Sat, 24 Aug 2013 23:52:29 -0400
From: 	Elton Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: 	Healey List <[email-masked]>

Fellow Listers,

[email-masked]

[email-masked]