Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive not releasing

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:24:10 -0400

Well, Earl Kagna was correct in his diagnosis of the overdrive not
releasing.  When I removed the operating valve, Earl made me recheck the
manual, there was a small amount of crud in the valve barrel as well as the
hole.  I did not realize the hole in the valve was at the base of the
shoulders of the valve, about half way down.  With a clean cloth over the
hole, I gently blew compressed air down the inside of the valve and the
crud showed as very fine, crud on the cloth.

I was able to force a length of leather boot shoe lace down the inside of
the valve, a very snug fit, and when removed, it picked up the crud at the
bottom of the valve.  Another insertion of the lace, additional puffs of
air and I replaced the valve and all the parts.  I also cleaned the
solenoid points to bright an shiny status.

The overdrive now operates, in the garage, with a solid "on" smack and a
solid "off" smack, through about 40/50 operations of the stick as well as
the on/off switch.

I will drive the car in the AM and see how that goes.  The knowledge and
helpfulness of the list is outstanding.

Thanks,

Fred
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys