Subject: [Healeys] BN2 door latch knobs

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:35:12 +0000 (UTC)

Mornin' Listers, 

I recently bought 2 door latch knobs for our BN2 from Moss. These are the chrome knobs that screw into the lever that retracts the catch to open the door. I inspected the knobs and they appeared to be good quality so assumed they would fit. On trying to install them, they would not fit into the tapped hole in the lever. The old knobs--original AFAIK--appeared to be close, if not exactly, SAE 1/4" fine (24TPI) threads. The new ones were 24TPI, but the threaded part was slightly larger diameter and would not fit either the tapped thread or the one remaining nut we think was original (it was a metal, self-locking type). We decided to chase the new ones to 1/4" fine, which was successful. 

Anyone else experienced this 'phenomenon?' We think maybe the threads were initially correct, but a heavy chrome plate--good in other ways--may have increased the dia. of the threads. 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:51:20 -0400

Wait wait wait....something wrong 1/4 UNF is 28 TPI....
I had a similar problem with the handles on #174. Turned out that the early
latches have 1/4" BSF threads (26 TPI) so the good used BN2 ones I was hoping
to use were a no go.
Michael S

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b2013-b08-b11 10:39 AM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] BN2 door latch knobs

Mornin' Listers,

I recently bought 2 door latch knobs for our BN2 from Moss. These are the
chrome knobs that screw into the lever that retracts the catch to open the
door. I inspected the knobs and they appeared to be good quality so assumed
they would fit. On trying to install them, they would not fit into the tapped
hole in the lever. The old knobs--original AFAIK--appeared to be close, if not
exactly, SAE 1/4" fine (24TPI) threads. The new ones were 24TPI, but the
threaded part was slightly larger diameter and would not fit either the tapped
thread or the one remaining nut we think was original (it was a metal,
self-locking type). We decided to chase the new ones to 1/4" fine, which was
successful.

Anyone else experienced this 'phenomenon?' We think maybe the threads were
initially correct, but a heavy chrome plate--good in other ways--may have
increased the dia. of the threads.

Bob

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:13:00 +0000 (UTC)

Oops ... right. Got a little brain-scrambled dealing with this.

Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Salter" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:51:20 AM
Subject: RE: [Healeys] BN2 door latch knobs

From: Bob Spidell
Sent: b2013-b08-b11 10:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] BN2 door latch knobs

Mornin' Listers,

Bob

[email-masked]

[email-masked]