Subject: Re: [Healeys] engine tie rod

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:04:48 +0800

The engine tie rod is meant basically to keep the engine from flying
forward and hitting your radiator, or rearward hitting your bulkhead.  You
are supposed to adjust it in a way where there is no forward or rearward
stress on the tie rod, but that the rubber bushes have a bit of compression
on each side of each mounting eye.

If you load-stress one side of the eye or the other, you run the risk of
stress cracking your eye mounts over time, so it really should be just a
bit of even compression of the bushing on each side of the eye.  No need to
try to move the engine back with the tie rod or anything like that.

Hope that helps.

Alan

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what is the correct method of adjusting or tightening the  engine tie rod?
>  I have just installed new rubber bushes ,etc.
>
> thanks in advance
> Mitch
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 22:32:18 -0700

The rule-of-thumb I was taught by mechanic father is to squish the rubber so that the diameter is the same or slightly 
smaller--it's a judgement call--than the flatwashers that are doing the squishing.

BTW, those bushes usually see a lot of oil and deteriorate quickly.  Best to replace them with nylon or urethane when 
convenient.

Bob

On 8/4/2013 6:13 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is the correct method of adjusting or tightening the  engine tie rod?  I have just installed new rubber bushes ,etc.
>
> thanks in advance
> Mitch

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 15:46:31 +1000

G'day

With the engine being such a tight fit, the harmonic balancer of the BN3/1
is but a 1/4 inch from the bottom radiator hose and the radiator fan a 1/2
inch from a front chassis section. Over the years I have heard a few
unwanted noises from the engine moving forward. So the engine/gearbox tie
rod is of some importance. I stopped using the rubber bushes a long time
back and in their place I have used urethane bushes, but they too harden,
crack and crumble.

So it's best to check such things regularly or else the radiator fan (Texas
cooler of not) will leave a last impression on the radiator.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Monday, 5 August 2013 3:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] engine tie rod

The rule-of-thumb I was taught by mechanic father is to squish the rubber so
that the diameter is the same or slightly smaller--it's a judgement
call--than the flatwashers that are doing the squishing.

BTW, those bushes usually see a lot of oil and deteriorate quickly.  Best to
replace them with nylon or urethane when convenient.

Bob

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]