Subject: [Healeys] High speed miss

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 19:33:48 -0700

The car is running pretty well but I notice it seems to run out of 
power at high speeds. I have a Lempert differential (3.54) with a 
Denis Welch street cam.

At around 80 mph, with the tack reading close to 4000 rpm it starts, 
to miss a little when I accelerate. Is this normal or could the carbs 
be set a little lean?

John Spaur
'62 BT7
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Maurice Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 20:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

Rust or other solid objects in the fuel can cause a high speed miss. Check the float bowls for sediment. Also check your fuel filter. <br/><br/>Varoom and happy Healeying<br/>Max<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:46:19 +0200

First of all: read 500 +/-30 as 50 degrees +/-3 degrees similarly 36 
degrees +/-2 degrees. The small o for degrees has been changed in the 
email to 0 which makes it look rather silly.

I know there are systems where you can adjust the dwell angle/points gap 
while the engine is running, however I never came across them. Not so on 
the Lucas and most other conventional distributors. It is trial and 
error. You set it up appr. with the right points gap, then you measure 
the dwell angle with a running engine, adjust the points with the engine 
off and measure the dwell angle again etc. Just as often as needed to 
get it right. After doing so a few times you will get the hang of it and 
it will be a piece of cake the next time.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

-------- Origineel bericht --------
Onderwerp: 	Re: [Healeys] High speed miss
Datum: 	Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:52:27 -0400
Van: 	R. Price Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Aan: 	Oudesluys <[email-masked]>

Kees -

I remember in the 60's I set the dwell on my American car through a 
little window in the distributor while the car was running.  My Healey 
does not have the window.  I have always been curious about how to set 
the dwell angle without the car running - trial and error?  I know it's 
a more accurate way to do it, but how?

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8

Please Note New Email Address

On Aug 20, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Oudesluys wrote:

> Do not bother with the point gap, measure the dwell angle as that is 
> the primary decisive factor. With the point gap measurement you may 
> get an approximation of the proper dwell angle, but uneven wear on the 
> points upset the setting.
> Dwell angle is measured with an automotive universal meter (Volts, 
> Ohms, Amphres, dwell, rpm) that is available at any motor spares shop 
> for little money. Most are surprisingly accurate.
> Generally the dwell angle for a 4-cylinder engine is 500 +/- 30 and 
> for a 6-cylinder engine this is 360 +/- 20 but check your shop manual 
> for the value specified for your vehicle.
> After having set the dwell angle you also have to adjust the ignition 
> timing.
>
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL

[email-masked]