Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 18:45:28 -0600

It's not that the solenoid doesn't "turn off". I think that when that
appears to happen, if you push on the operating valve lever it will return
to the rest position. Try to push it off manually with the solenoid
energized. Very often that 3/32 or what ever the measurement is, simply
isn't seen..
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
Porter Custom Bicycles

1970 MG Midget

gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Fred Wescoe
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:32 PM
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive

I need some ides here.

I removed the seats and trans tunnel and checked the overdrive electrical
relays and dash switch.  The dash switch, throttle switch and the gear
selector switch appear to work just fine, when tested electrically.  The
solenoid appears to work most of the time.  But, after perhaps 12 movements
of the gear selector, back and forth, in neutral, I discovered that the
solenoid does not always turn off.  The battery is at full charge.  This is
the probable cause of the overdrive not releasing when turned off or moved
out of 3rd/4th gear.  I pulled the solenoid and will work on cleaning and
setting the contacts tomorrow.  What should the point gap setting be?

As long as the interior and the trans are opened up, I removed the
operating valve to check it.  I watched the ball jump as the solenoid was
activated and that seems to be OK, except when the solenoid does not work.
Now, after removing the valve parts, of course the transmission has just
been filled with new Red Line fluid, how do I determine if the hole in the
bottom of the shaft is clean?  I would like to confirm it even though I see
the ball jump.  I don't want to dump the new fluid but how do I check it?
I can't see the bottom hole through the fluid.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Fred
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Thomas Willig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 08:49:27 +0200

Check that the solenoid is really not energized. I hat some problems in the
past with erratic malfunction of the overdrive relays.  A test light will tell
you easily if all is well there.

Regards

Thomas Willig

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Fred Wescoe [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Montag, 12. August 2013 02:32
An: healeys
Betreff: [Healeys] Overdrive

I need some ides here.

I removed the seats and trans tunnel and checked the overdrive electrical
relays and dash switch.  The dash switch, throttle switch and the gear
selector switch appear to work just fine, when tested electrically.  The
solenoid appears to work most of the time.  But, after perhaps 12 movements of
the gear selector, back and forth, in neutral, I discovered that the solenoid
does not always turn off.  The battery is at full charge.  This is the
probable cause of the overdrive not releasing when turned off or moved out of
3rd/4th gear.  I pulled the solenoid and will work on cleaning and setting the
contacts tomorrow.  What should the point gap setting be?

As long as the interior and the trans are opened up, I removed the operating
valve to check it.  I watched the ball jump as the solenoid was activated and
that seems to be OK, except when the solenoid does not work.
Now, after removing the valve parts, of course the transmission has just been
filled with new Red Line fluid, how do I determine if the hole in the bottom
of the shaft is clean?  I would like to confirm it even though I see the ball
jump.  I don't want to dump the new fluid but how do I check it?
I can't see the bottom hole through the fluid.

Fred

[email-masked]