Subject: Re: [Healeys] LM Disaster film

From: Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 07:26:07 +0200

Just take care the image has been turned from left to right on some sections.
The pits are on the right side of the track in Le Mans and the accident killed
on the left, cars going from left to right in the movie.

B. Cristalli
iPad

Le 9 aoC;t 2013 C  06:24, Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]> a C)crit :

> British Pathe uploaded a HD version of the newsreel of the disaster a while
> ago, it's the best quality film I've ever seen of the disaster, be sure to
> set the quality to 720.
>
>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoh5hZAaZk&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLADB9
C9B996134C1C
>
> I hadn't realized that it was the motor that had killed so many people
> because it separated from the car and the trajectory was mostly at shoulder
> height.
>
> Alan
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: José Vicente Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 08:53:54 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding this accident there is a great interview of Fangio (the best of all
times) in spanish explaining how the accident happened and how he saved his
life.
Of what I can remenber Fangio says that the accident was caused because
Hawthorn in his Jaguar made an abrupt change of course to enter pits,
believing that the Healey was slower, and this made the Healey to change
course to avoid hitting the Jag and getting slammed in the back by the
Mercedes.
Fangio says that when he was entering the straight he saw all the
public looking in the same direction and that no one in the public was looking
at the incoming cars, which is normal, and therefore he suspected that
something had happened in the straight and he slowed down and this way he
saved his life....

Josi Vicente Vargas
Musmi

Tel. (571) 321 3740
Cel.
(57) 311 288 3401
Skype: jovivago

www.musme.net

Bogota, Colombia
>________________________________
> From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
>To: Healey <[email-masked]> 
>Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:24 PM
>Subject: [Healeys] LM Disaster film
> 
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoh5hZAaZk&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLADB
9C9B996134C1C
>because it separated from the car and the trajectory was mostly
at shoulder
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:53:17 -0700 (PDT)

I thought the BBC did a good job on the LeMans disaster in this documentary: 
http://vimeo.com/10479305  

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My
Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
________________________________
 From: Josi Vicente Vargas
<[email-masked]>
To: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>; Healey
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, August 9, 2013 11:53 AM
Subject: Re:
[Healeys] LM Disaster film

Regarding this accident there is a great
interview of Fangio (the best of all
times) in spanish explaining how the
accident happened and how he saved his
life.
Of what I can remenber Fangio
says that the accident was caused because
Hawthorn in his Jaguar made an
abrupt change of course to enter pits,
believing that the Healey was slower,
and this made the Healey to change
course to avoid hitting the Jag and getting
slammed in the back by the
Mercedes.
Fangio says that when he was entering the
straight he saw all the
public looking in the same direction and that no one
in the public was looking
at the incoming cars, which is normal, and therefore
he suspected that
something had happened in the straight and he slowed down
and this way he
saved his life....

Josi Vicente Vargas

[email-masked]

---

From: "Ron Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:20:25 -0500

Folks.
 
Can someone verify if a Lucas 488 red lens is the correct tail light/turn
signal lens for an Austin-Healey 100?
If it isn't, does anyone know what car this lens would be applicable?
 
Thanks.
  Ron

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Korn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 18:29:47 +0000

Yes

http://books.google.is/books?id=kSlv6EZSq-0C&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=lucas+488+le
ns+healey+100&source=bl&ots=e2tQpmhqao&sig=RjRuDJooqjF-wwjBgEqvV0LR9Jc&hl=en&
sa=X&ei=kjQFUtmuOciZO--1gbAL&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=lucas%20488%20lens%20hea
ley%20100&f=false
Sorry,haven't learned how to do a tiny URL

Richard
BN2
Sent from my iPad

> If it isn't, does anyone know what car this lens would be applicable?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 08:51:26 +1000

G'day

Below is an extract of the findings from the French investigation following
the tragedy.

Mr Hawthorn, driver of Jaguar car No. 6   overtook on the left the car No
26 driven by Lance Macklin, then suddenly came back on the right and braked;
Macklin, surprised by such driving inclined to the left just as he was
joined by car No. 20 driven by Levegh who, trying to pass on the extreme
left of the track, happened to collide with the left side of car No. 26 and
ran against the safety banking.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Josi Vicente Vargas
Sent: Saturday, 10 August 2013 1:54 AM
To: Alan Seigrist; Healey
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LM Disaster film

Regarding this accident there is a great interview of Fangio (the best of
all
times) in spanish explaining how the accident happened and how he saved his
life.
Of what I can remenber Fangio says that the accident was caused because
Hawthorn in his Jaguar made an abrupt change of course to enter pits,
believing that the Healey was slower, and this made the Healey to change
course to avoid hitting the Jag and getting slammed in the back by the
Mercedes.
Fangio says that when he was entering the straight he saw all the public
looking in the same direction and that no one in the public was looking at
the incoming cars, which is normal, and therefore he suspected that
something had happened in the straight and he slowed down and this way he
saved his life....

Josi Vicente Vargas
Musmi

Tel. (571) 321 3740
Cel.
(57) 311 288 3401
Skype: jovivago

www.musme.net

Bogota, Colombia
9C9B996134C1C
>Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual
>donation
$12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Jose Vicente Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 18:47:32 -0500

The same story...same version....

Sent from my iPad

On 9/08/2013, at 5:51 p.m., "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> bMr Hawthorn, driver of Jaguar car No. 6  b& overtook on the left the car
No
> ran against the safety banking.b
>
> Hoo Roo
>
> Patrick Quinn
> On Behalf Of JosC) Vicente Vargas
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation
> $12.75

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:58:10 +0800

Ultimately the blame should be on the engineers of the track in my view.
 Racing is unpredictable.... They should have known better even in 1955....

On Saturday, August 10, 2013, Jose Vicente Vargas wrote:

> On 9/08/2013, at 5:51 p.m., "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > G'day
> >

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 22:36:00 -0500

Wasn't '55 the first year the S spec 100s ran at Le Mans?, I think I 
remember reading some speculation that Hawthorne wasn't expecting it to be 
so fast, and that may have had something to do with him misjudging the 
overtaking.

Greg Lemon

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Alan Seigrist" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 9, 2013 6:58 PM
To: "Jose Vicente Vargas" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Healey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LM Disaster film

>> > Mr Hawthorn, driver of Jaguar car No. 6   overtook on the left the 
>> > car
>> No
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 08:28:22 +0200

Or Macklin surprised by the efficacy of the Jaguar's brakes...
B
HBTL244

Le 10/08/13 05:36, Greg Lemon a icrit :
> Wasn't '55 the first year the S spec 100s ran at Le Mans?, I think I remember 
> reading some speculation that Hawthorne wasn't expecting it to be so fast, and 
> that may have had something to do with him misjudging the overtaking.
>
> Greg Lemon
>
>>> > Mr Hawthorn, driver of Jaguar car No. 6   overtook on the left the > car
>>> No
>>> > joined by car No. 20 driven by Levegh who, trying to pass on the > extreme

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:09:32 +0800

Didn't the D-Type use the same dunlop brakes as the 100?

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Bob <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> ------------------------------**--------------------
>>>> > left of the track, happened to collide with the left side of car No.
>>>> 26
>>>> and
>>>> > ran against the safety banking. >
>>>> > Hoo Roo
>>>> >
>>>> > Patrick Quinn
>>> ______________________________**_________________
>>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>>>
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
>>> options/healeys/[email-masked].**com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
>>>
>> ______________________________**_________________
>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
>> options/healeys/jagxk120@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
>>
> ______________________________**_________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**listinfo/healeys<http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/healeys/healey.nut@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:12:19 +0800

oh wait, didn't the D-type have four pot front brakes?

[email-masked]

---

From: Jose Vicente Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 06:42:52 -0500

This is correct. Hawthorn said that he did not think the Healey was going so
fast and that is why he crossed the track unexpectectly

Sent from my iPad

> Wasn't '55 the first year the S spec 100s ran at Le Mans?, I think I
remember reading some speculation that Hawthorne wasn't expecting it to be so
fast, and that may have had something to do with him misjudging the
overtaking.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Alan Bromfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 13:49:35 +0100

Which of course is total bull from Hawthorn as he had just overtaken on the
left, pulled across to the right and stamped on the binders!! 

He had to say something to distance himself from the disaster.
  _________________________________________
(______________ Alan Bromfield_______________)
        (_______\____1957-BN4____/________)
                (__tinyurl.com/healeyforum _)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jose Vicente Vargas
Sent: 10 August 2013 12:43
To: Greg Lemon
Cc: Healey
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LM Disaster film

Sent from my iPad

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 13:57:24 -0700

Ron,

As Richard has stated yes, plus let me add a few details.  Obviously red is
for the rear, and clear lenses are on the front.  The lenses are all marked
"LUCAS 488 MADE IN ENGLAND".   The LUCAS ones I purchased from MOSS some 20
years ago were spot on correct.

Now the BN1s had front clear lenses that were *frosted*, and the BN2s (and
possibly late BN1s) all had clear lenses.  They are the same part number as
the clear non frosted lenses.  In fact some years ago as I was going
through around a dozen boxes of NOS 488 lenses, I found that while the
numbers on the original LUCAS boxes were all the same, three of the twelve
or so lenses were frosted.  I purchased these three.

BTW of the five frosted lenses that I have, two of them are marked "LUCAS
488/B MADE IN ENGLAND".  If you have a clear lens and want a frosted one,
just carefully bead blast the inside of the lens and the results look just
like the originals.

I hope this isn't TMI.

Cheers,

Curt

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Richard Korn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Korn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 22:30:30 +0000

Curt,

Never too much info as far as I'm concerned. How about you and Roger doing a
book like the Viart XK 140 book for the 100.:)

Richard

Sent from my iPad

>
> Now the BN1s had front clear lenses that were frosted, and the BN2s (and
possibly late BN1s) all had clear lenses.  They are the same part number as
the clear non frosted lenses.  In fact some years ago as I was going through
around a dozen boxes of NOS 488 lenses, I found that while the numbers on the
original LUCAS boxes were all the same, three of the twelve or so lenses were
frosted.  I purchased these three.
> BTW of the five frosted lenses that I have, two of them are marked "LUCAS
488/B MADE IN ENGLAND".  If you have a clear lens and want a frosted one, just
carefully bead blast the inside of the lens and the results look just like the
originals.

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 16:38:21 -0700

Richard,

Now that would be a great project. In fact I've actually talked to Roger
about this very thing, after I first saw the B**ernard Viart XK120 book at
a friends Jaguar restoration shop some years ago.  Very impressive books
which caught my eye and attention right away.

Ideally there should be one book for the 100s, one book for the six
cylinder roadsters, and one for the convertibles.

Cheers,

Curt

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Richard Korn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Curt,
>
> Never too much info as far as I'm concerned. How about you and Roger doing
> a book like the Viart XK 140 book for the 100.:)
>
> Richard
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> As Richard has stated yes, plus let me add a few details.  Obviously red
> is for the rear, and clear lenses are on the front.  The lenses are all
> marked "LUCAS 488 MADE IN ENGLAND".   The LUCAS ones I purchased from MOSS
> some 20 years ago were spot on correct.
>
> Now the BN1s had front clear lenses that were *frosted*, and the BN2s
> (and possibly late BN1s) all had clear lenses.  They are the same part
> number as the clear non frosted lenses.  In fact some years ago as I was
> going through around a dozen boxes of NOS 488 lenses, I found that while
> the numbers on the original LUCAS boxes were all the same, three of the
> twelve or so lenses were frosted.  I purchased these three.
>
ley%20100&f=false<http://books.google.is/books?id=kSlv6EZSq-0C&pg=PA46&lpg=PA
46&dq=lucas+488+lens+healey+100&source=bl&ots=e2tQpmhqao&sig=RjRuDJooqjF-wwjB
gEqvV0LR9Jc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kjQFUtmuOciZO--1gbAL&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=lucas%
20488%20lens%20healey%20100&f=false>

[email-masked]