Subject: Re: [Healeys] Transmission?

From: 'bluehealey' <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 21:09:49 +0100

Ouch!!
That is exactly what is happening Fred. The overdrive is hanging up even when
switched off.
The noise is from the 'sprag' clutch in the overdrive which will be destroyed
if you reverse through it.
I'm not sure exactly what this roller clutch does but it goes with a bang!
Others will chime in with causes and solutions. Mine had to be rebuilt
(Hardys, Leatherhead) after which no more issues.

AlanB - iPhone message.

On 6 Aug 2013, at 19:20, Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> Last week I backed my BJ7, with overdrive, out of the garage and got a
> short sound of scream/grind from what I thought was the rear end.  I pulled
> back into the garage.  I drained the transmission and overdrive oil as well
> as the differential oil thinking either could be low and in need of a
> change.  I pulled an axle and checked it.  Nothing apparent.  No oil
> showing on the brake drums.  I checked the u-joints and there was no
> looseness seen.
>
> I refilled the transmission, overdrive and axle with Red Line oils.  The
> car was on jacks all the way around.  I started the engine and let it warm
> up and then put it in gear.  I tried 1st, third and reverse.  No sounds of
> problems with or without the overdrive switched on.
>
> This morning, I backed out of the garage and went a few miles.  I stopped
> at a friends home to pick up something.  Put the car in reverse and
> instantly got the scream/grind sound.   I made sure the overdrive was
> switched off and tried again with the same results in both reverse as well
> as all forward gears.  I turned the car off and tried again, this time no
> sound.  I drove the car home with no problems.
>
> What do I start looking for?  Is it possible that the overdrive is not
> disengaging even with the switch off?
>
> Help!
>
> Thanks in advance,.
>
> Fred
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:53:26 -0700

Fred:

As Alan B has said, the overdrive is not releasing, or at least not 
releasing immediately.

One thing that can be checked relatively easily:  The operating valve's 
bleed hole might be partially blocked or mostly blocked.  Symptoms are:  The 
overdrive will hang up for awhile after the switch is moved to the off 
position, but if the car sits for awhile - say a few minutes - the overdrive 
will release.   You can pull the operating valve from the top and check to 
see if there is any debris inside - it's basically a hollow tube.  The bleed 
hole is very small - it doesn't take much crud to cause an obstruction.  The 
workshop manual describes it's removal quite well, but makes no mention of 
the bleed hole.

This happened to a buddy's Healey awhile back - fortunately we diagnosed and 
corrected the problem before major damage was done to the one way clutch 
inside the overdrive as Alan B has suggested might be the case.

Let us know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Fred Wescoe
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:20 AM
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Transmission?

Listers,

Help!

Thanks in advance,.

Fred

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 22:38:16 +0100

Fred

The cone clutch is not coming in in the direct drive position. The first
thing to check is the the operating lever is set correctly. If It is it
might be that the oil return is blocked. On release the the oil is supposed
to come out of small holes in the bottom of the long hollow valve 'pipe'.
You can take this valve out to check without draining oil. Undo the valve
cap, take out the ball etc. and pull the long valve out by inserting
something in the top of the 'pipe'. Use something long and tuse his; say a
1/8" long screw driver, to pull out the valve and then with it out and
something similar to the screwdriver check that there is no rubbish in the
bottom. Check the small hole to make sure that it is clear.

You could have a worn cone clutch but that is unlikely.

One thing for sure is do not try reversing until the problem is fixed.

In this faulty situation the 'inners' of the overdrive spin at a very high
speed and can soon destroy themselves.

Best regards

On 6 August 2013 19:20, Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Best wishes

John Harper

AHC UK 100 Register Secretary
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 17:21:04 -0600

As a rule the cause of this is the cone carrier assembly is not returning to
the "off" position because the 8 return springs are weak from age or the
bearing that supports the assembly is worn and allows the return movement to
the rest position to occur askew, thus binding.
dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----

[email-masked]