Subject: [Healeys] Door handles

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 21:51:14 -0700

Howdy
Been researching info on the steps to install outside door handles, remote
box and interior handles on my BT7. Can someone point me to a website or
info on the steps and correct order to install.
Thanks, or better yet come by Saturday and show me ,:-)

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
please excuse typos. Sent from my phone
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 00:44:48 -0700

I don't think the order matters. I installed the outside handle first 
and have removed it with everything assembled. Same for all of the 
inner door mechanical stuff. Mate the striker box to the interior 
handle arm and install together. The interior door handle has to be 
installed after the door finishing panel. Fabricate a pin from a nail 
shank that is not too snug. Wiggle room helps with the installation 
and the spring takes up the slack. Make sure the pin will fit through 
the escutcheon hole.

The trick to installing the interior handle is to align the most 
compressible part of the spiral spring, inside the cup and escutcheon 
assembly, with the door handle/peg holes generally facing the door 
strike. This allows the use of a 1/4" wide or so lever to twist the 
cup and escutcheon apart while using an awl from the other side to 
align the holes. Two people would be helpful to hold things. Start 
the pin from the compressed side. Once the pin is partially inserted 
use a drift pin and hammer to carefully drive it home.

John

[email-masked]