Subject: Re: [Healeys] water temp/oil gauge

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:08:10 -0700

Before you cut what size is the nut?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 31, 2013, at 17:05, I Erbs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> OK, I figured out why my water temp sender was leaking. The nut has been
> rounded off and I was never able to torque it enough to completely tighten
> the nut. So I guess my only option is to cut the capillary tube and use my
> special removal socket to get the damn thing out of the head.
> Question one: what will be released when I cut the tube?
> two, what is the best way to cut so it can be repaired?
> three. anyone have a working/rebuilt unit I can buy or borrow until mine is
> rebuilt. I'd love tro drive my car before the rainy season hits in earnest.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ira Erbs
> IT Teacher
> and Consultant
>
> Portland, OR
>
> *I spent a lot of money on booze, [women] and fast cars. The rest I just
> squandered.*  English football star George Best,
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:48:38 -0700

It is filled with either and the nut size is 5/8". Take it out and 
plug the hole with a bolt for now but be sure your care does not over 
heat because you will not have anyway of knowing it. The bulb seals 
against a seat with pressure from the nut. Palo Alto Speedometer can 
rebuild the gauge and supply a new bulb. If you have it rebuilt, the 
copper tube is supposed to be zinc plated and you need to tell the 
rebuilder this fact. I did not have mine plated.

At 05:05 PM 8/31/2013 -0700, I Erbs wrote:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 11:07:11 +1000

G'day Ira

Like so many lost emails, mobile calls, file transfers once you cut the tube
it will all end up in the ether.

The tube from the sending bulb to the gauge is full of ether. Please don't
ask what sort of ether as I know there are a few. Anyway my understanding is
once the tube is cut it can't be repaired. So you will have to have a new
one fitted by an instrument specialist to the gauge.

Best to look around for another one.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of I Erbs
Sent: Sunday, 1 September 2013 10:05 AM
To: Ahealey help
Subject: [Healeys] water temp/oil gauge

Thanks

Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant

Portland, OR

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 18:09:35 -0700

Thanks
Ether way, repaired or replaced same difference. Just means there is no
special concern if I cut it ,:)
Thanks

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
please excuse typos. Sent from my phone
On Aug 31, 2013 6:07 PM, "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> * I spent a lot of money on booze, [women] and fast cars. The rest I just
> squandered. *   English football star George Best,
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation
> $12.75

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:28:44 -0700

We've had a couple of these rebuilt, by two different shops.  In both cases, the original capillary tube with a 'metal 
cloth' sheath was replaced by a similar tube with a wound wire wrap.  Besides being slightly larger in diameter, I 
presume you'd lose points in concours.

Bob

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]