Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure gauge problem

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 23:29:21 +1000

Air in the line....
Mitch. Easy job.
With the motor running, warm idle, a good light, a good clean rag, wearing an
old shirt (or one your ex wife bought you that you hated anyway), wearing
glasses/ googles just in case, and holding a spanner that fits the oil line
feed nut behind the guage, carefully crack the oil line feed nut, rag at the
ready.... Do not remove the spanner from the nut...
When you feel warm engine oil flowing down your arm (the one holding the
spanner), and/ or you feel the burping of air has finished, re tighten the
nut.
If appropriate, send the shirt back to the ex. Otherwise, you now have a
smooth moving guage, AND a new workshop bench cloth (depending on your wrench
finesse, and your warm oil down the arm reaction time....)
Took me 3 goes to actually ruin that damn shirt....
;-)
Best
Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com

Sent from my iPhone

On 15/08/2013, at 11:01 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Hello,
>
>
> well the BJ8 runs very good.........everything works............but last
night when I arrived home..........I noticed the oil pressure needle was very
erratic  (moving very fast ...back and forth)  any ideas what's the problem??
>
>
> thanks
> Mitch
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:20:51 +0200

Air in the line is never the case of the vibration. There should not 
really be much oil in the line if at all or any oil in the gauge. The 
air in the line works as a damper, there should also be a kind of 
restrictor in the gauge, often this looks like a metallic filter, just 
visible or it could be a very small hole. It may be that there is a 
small leak near the gauge causing the whole line to fill up with oil. 
Oil pressure does fluctuate somewhat because of the fluttering of the 
pressure relieve valve or the oil draining away when the crank (rod) 
bearings are loaded so the the play near the oil hole in the crank is 
temporarily enlarged at once every revolution, especially in older (a 
bit) worn engines and with hot oil.
Loosen up the nuts at the  gauge and the engine end, let the oil drain 
away and retighten. This will usually cure the vibration of the oil 
pressure needle.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

[email-masked]

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 14:32:08 -0700

All I can say is that I followed Chris' recipe (minus the ex-wife's
gift shirt) and it cured the needle vibration on our BJ7.

-Roland

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:20:51 +0200, KO wrote:

::Air in the line is never the case of the vibration. There should not
::really be much oil in the line if at all or any oil in the gauge. The
::air in the line works as a damper, there should also be a kind of
::restrictor in the gauge, often this looks like a metallic filter, just
::visible or it could be a very small hole. It may be that there is a
::small leak near the gauge causing the whole line to fill up with oil.
....
::Loosen up the nuts at the  gauge and the engine end, let the oil drain
::away and retighten. This will usually cure the vibration of the oil
::pressure needle.
::Kees Oudesluijs
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]