Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ignition & Charging warning light A-H 100 Instruments

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:48:12 -0400

Morris Mintz (formally MO of MO-MA) at West Valley Instrument.

http://westvalleyinstruments.com

Randy

Randy Hicks
AHCA 100 Registrar
[email-masked]

On Aug 18, 2013, at 9:38 AM, Willig <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The instruments of my BN2 are working fine, they have the right patina of a
> 58 year old car, I love looking at them. The only thing missing are the
tiny
> little transparent lenses for the ignition an charging warning lights.
> Anybody got an idea where I can get these lenses? .and no, I do not want my
> instruments to be overhauled or refurbished..
>
>
>
> Regards
>
>
>
>
>
> Thomas Willig
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 17:35:48 +0200

I have some old instruments lying about. There may be some of the lenses 
still in them. What colours do you need?
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Op 18-8-2013 15:38, Willig schreef:
> 58 year old car, I love looking at them. The only thing missing are the tiny
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:04:20 -0700

Definitely NOT Morris Mintz.  Twenty years ago I took my BN1 gauges to him
for essentially the same thing, new lenses for ignition and high beams, a
rebuild and to attach the correct reset knob that I built from scratch
since he couldn't source one.  Not only did he put in the wrong lenses
after I told him that I wanted the correct "Chinese" red ones, he spilled
glue on my near perfect gauge faces, ruining them.

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:14:23 -0400

Don't know about 20 years ago, but in the last 6 months he did a great job on
my BN2 gauges and supplied correct lenses.

Randy

for essentially the same thing, new lenses for ignition and high beams, a
rebuild and to attach the correct reset knob that I built from scratch since
he couldn't source one.  Not only did he put in the wrong lenses after I told
him that I wanted the correct "Chinese" red ones, he spilled glue on my near
perfect gauge faces, ruining them.

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:40:28 -0700

Wow. Must have been a bad day. I knew the folks at moma for many years. 35+
years out my gauges still look and operate great.
Plus he was suggesting a source for parts, not labor.
So sorry about your experience.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
please excuse typos. Sent from my phone
On Aug 18, 2013 9:04 AM, "Curtis Arndt" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:28:42 -0500

Sometimes if you are lucky the little pieces are still floating around in 
the gauge, worth it to pop the glass off and check, I think they shrink a 
little (over 50 years) and fall out.

Greg Lemon

[email-masked]

---

From: "Willig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:34:01 +0200

Hi Kees,

thanks for your offer-very kind. But what colour? According to the drivers
handbook both should be red. I wonder if this is correct. Can anybody
confirm this.

Thomas Willig

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Oudesluys [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 18. August 2013 17:36
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Ignition & Charging warning light A-H 100 Instruments

tiny
> instruments to be overhauled or refurbished..
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:52:57 -0700

Listers,

To finish my thread about Morris, he said he would replace my ruined gauge
faces but never did.  He said he couldn't find any, but I found some
several weeks later at my expense

As far as my reset knob, all he had to do was to carefully drill a hole and
install it but he screwed that up too and ruined my MY hard work and
craftsmanship.  When I'm doing better quality work than the so called
expert whom I'm paying, then something is definite wrong...

 "Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me."

Don't get me started on Margaret Lucas, I won't use her either.  See Bob
Yule's comments about MoMa (Margaret) his comments are spot on!

Cheers,

Curt

On Sunday, August 18, 2013, Curtis Arndt wrote: can do better work than the
shop I

[email-masked]

---

From: Bert Van Brande <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:45:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Thomas,

Red seems to be the most common color for these indicator lenses. 
In Bill Piggott's "The Austin-Healey 100 in detail" on page 73 there is a blue
lens for the high-beam indicator but that's on a 140 mph (100m) gauge, this is
probably the exception.  Attached is a pic of a piece of red plastic I found
in the house.  I used a leather belt hole punch to punch out little rounds and
found the one that was a perfect snug fit.  The plastic was 0.75 mm thickness
(0.5 to 1mm will probably do) but most importantly it needs to be red
translucent not just red transparent.  Transparent red lenses will not
disperse the light.  You'll just see the filament of the bulb light up if you
look straight on.

I actually completely rebuild and calibrated all my gauges
myself.  I did get a quote from Morris but decided it was too nice winter
evening project and an opportunity to save a bit.  I re-soldered the coils on
the fuel gauge,  put a new capillary on the dual gauge, made new odometer
stickers, calibrated tach and speedo with a digital rpm meter, plated the
houses, painted the inside, bought new glass, O-rings and chrome bezels.  The
hardest part was to carefully clean 50 years of dirt and grime of the faces
without destroying them.   I showed the gauges to Curt and send pictures to
Rich and they praised the result.  Btw, I saw Curt's gauge faces and that was
indeed painful.  

I still have this piece of plastic and can send it to
you.  My punch is not sharp enough anymore to make a nice cuts and my daughter
managed to lock the keys of my toolbox inside the toolbox itself,  so I cannot
get to the punches anyway otherwise I'd just punch you a couple.   Note to
self to hide toolbox keys better when I am away. ;-)   

Let me know if you're
interested.

Bert

________________________________
 From: Willig
<[email-masked]>
To: 'Oudesluys' <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:34 PM
Subject: Re:
[Healeys] Ignition & Charging warning light A-H 100 Instruments

Hi Kees,
confirm
this.

Thomas Willig

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of red_lens_plastic.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]> >
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:55:29 -0700

Bert,

How did you get the either into the tube without falling asleep? Do 
you have a web link for instructions? Just curious as I don't need to 
do it but you really outdid yourself!

Cheers,
John Spaur

At 08:45 PM 8/19/2013 -0700, Bert Van Brande wrote:

>....  put a new capillary on the dual gauge....

[email-masked]

---

From: Bert Van Brande <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:50:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John,

I used a tube from a cheap Lucas donor gauge I sourced on ebay and
kept the bulb on ice during the process.  
I used following instructions and
"calibrated" with boiling water.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

yes,
I go slow through the process of restoring my car, I also have 2 kids in
college and spread out the cost this way. 
In the fall I start on interior,
chrome, head- and taillights and then I will be done.  Covering the seats will
be outsourced, that's just not my thing.

Bert
________________________________
 From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
To: Bert Van Brande <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ignition &
Charging warning light A-H 100  Instruments

Bert,

How did you get the
either into the tube without falling asleep? Do 
you have a web link for
instructions? Just curious as I don't need to 
do it but you really outdid
yourself!

Cheers,
John Spaur

At 08:45 PM 8/19/2013 -0700, Bert Van Brande

[email-masked]