Subject: Re: [Healeys] Market

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:18:45 -0700

..SOLD AT $198,000... A good deal for both buyer and seller...".
definitely for the seller......
wow, what are people thinking???

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Len and/or Marge Hartnett <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Following is extracted from the Sep 30, 2013, Autoweek magazine.  I don't
> recall this being mentioned on The List.  I do think I would have
> remembered
> the selling price.
>
> "1956 AUSTIN-HEALEY 100M ROADSTER.  RM Auctions, Monterey, Calif, Aug 16,
> 2013.  SILVER WITH RED LEATHER INTERIOR...Indicated mileage of 0004...Not
> everything is factory correct, as some light liberties have been
> taken;...Delivered new to California, the car is said to have spent its
> life
> on the West Coast...a documented factory-built car...".
>
> "...SOLD AT $198,000... A good deal for both buyer and seller...".
>
> (The Other) Len
> Vacaville, CA, USA
> 1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:25:43 -0700

Listers,

I agree.  As I have been saying for years, the price of 100Ms as compared
to 100Ss has stayed consistent for 40 years.  When 100Ss were going for
$10K 100Ms were $2,500 to $3,000,

100Ss selling for $100K... 100Ms were $25K to 30K

Now that 100Ss are $600-700K it is not out of line that 100Ms are $150K -
$200K, and several years a go an M sold for $235K at auction, an aberration
at the time as I know the circumstance, but given the scale, not totally
out of line.

FWIW.

Cheers,

Curt

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Len and/or Marge Hartnett <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:26:07 +0100

About 130,000 dollars does seem rather a lot for a cold air box, louvred
bonnet and high comp pistons

Dere

Sent from my iPhone

> wow, what are people thinking???
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:46:07 -0700

Derek,

Not a fair analysis since it's the provenience of the documented Factory
100M that commands that much money.

Even a BN1 converted by DHMC  at Warwick to Le Mans specifications will not
bring nearly as much as a factory documented BN2 with exactly the same
modifications.  Now that's what doesn't make any sense at all.

And of course a "Plain Jane" BN1/2 modified to Le Mans specs typically
brings slightly more money but not a lot more. That being said, it's
typically more than the cost of the mod, so it can be worth the investment.

Plus it's Monterey car week and an auction.  This is the biggest and
richest classic car event in the world. This is why folks bring their car
their to sell... to hit a home run.

Finally buy a basket case 100M and it will cost you north of $50K and then
take it to any reputable restorer and have it restored to near Concours
standards and in the end you will have $200K or more invested

I go to both the Monterey, CA and the Scottsdale, AZ auctions every year
and have been doing so for a decade.  There are plenty of $150 -$200K cars
that I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for, but others see their value and
collectability.

Cheers,

Curt

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Derek <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Derek

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:50:19 -0700

One other point about perceived value... say the car was owned or driven by
Steve McQueen and the price will double!

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Even a BN1 converted by DHMC  at Warwick to Le Mans specifications will
> not bring nearly as much as a factory documented BN2 with exactly the same

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:03:17 -0700

The Steve Mcqueen or Shelby connection I can see, but the add on for the M
just seems out of line....I'm happy our cars are in demand, but it just
seems odd that that model should have such a premium.
cheers

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> One other point about perceived value... say the car was owned or driven
> by Steve McQueen and the price will double!
>
>
>
>> Finally buy a basket case 100M and it will cost you north of $50K and
>> then take it to any reputable restorer and have it restored to near
>> Concours standards and in the end you will have $200K or more invested
>>

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:23:23 -0400

Doesn't seem "odd" to me. Supply & Demand.

Outside of the 100S, they are the best performing / handling 100 and very
limited supply. Quite basic actually.

Randy

Randy Hicks
www.austinhealey100m.com
'56 100 M  White/Black
'56 100 M  Florida Green/OEW
'62 BN7 MkII with factory hardtop
'65 BJ8
'53 MGTD
[email-masked]

On Sep 30, 2013, at 2:03 PM, I Erbs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> but it just

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 20:35:39 +0100

They are marginally better performing but the performance can be easily
achieved for couple of thousand dollars.

What I think is really bizarre is that the 100m is basically a run out model
and that BN1s with LeMans options were actually the originals.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 20:43:52 +0100

I guess it's because the cars are being bought by 'investors' and not
enthusiasts. I think Healey people realise the cars are really not that
special.

Don't get me wrong they are beautiful cars and id be happy to own one, but
they just aren't worth 3 times the cost of  a normal car IMHO

Derek

Sent from my iPhone

>> And of course a "Plain Jane" BN1/2 modified to Le Mans specs typically
brings slightly more money but not a lot more. That being said, it's typically
more than the cost of the mod, so it can be worth the investment.

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:45:56 -0400

But very, very, very few with documentation to prove that a BN1 has a DHMC Le
Mans conversions. Documented BN1's with proof of Le Mans conversion will bring
what a documented BN2 100M will or very close.

Randy

On Sep 30, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Derek <[email-masked]> wrote:

> BN1s with LeMans options were actually the originals.

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:30:54 +0100

Curt

The 100S is a completely different kettle of fish. It was a specialised hand
built racing car where virtually every single part is different from the basic
car.

The 100M has a few options all of which had been available to customers for
two years.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Sep 2013, at 21:15, Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Derek,
>
> What about 100Ss?  I know several S owners and they are first and foremost
Healey enthusiasts, and secondly they are smart investors,
> the two are not mutually exclusive.  The same thing can be said for 100M
owners.
>
> Another thing to consider is the fact that most 100Ss change hands
privately, and most are Healey enthusiasts and collectors.
>
> Remember there are 37+ of the original 54 or so 100Ss accounted for, there
are 150 or so of the 640 factory 100Ms documented.  And while
> the number of Factory 100Ms may increase slightly, I fear that most were
lost to the "crusher" years ago.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Curt
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Derek <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> Finally buy a basket case 100M and it will cost you north of $50K and
then take it to any reputable restorer and have it restored to near Concours
standards and in the end you will have $200K or more invested

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:36:18 +0100

I don't think they will and its because 100Ms have been massively hyped up  by
brokers and auctioneers who don't really know the marque

A reasonable value would be a 15-20 per cent premium to a basic car which is
what they used to sell for.
Derek
Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Sep 2013, at 20:45, Randy Hicks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> But very, very, very few with documentation to prove that a BN1 has a DHMC
Le Mans conversions. Documented BN1's with proof of Le Mans conversion will
bring what a documented BN2 100M will or very close.

[email-masked]