Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 445

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 07:12:39 -0400 (EDT)

Ira,
Hope you got the car to ABFM. Near-term a little weeping around the fitting is
no big deal. Just keep the coolant topped up. Longer term, if the advice to
back it out of the hole without cutting, then sealing it with a little
non-setting sealant, doesn't work, you can have the gauge rebuilt. Palo Alto
Speedo does these frequently and Hartmut there knows what he's doing. It will
be returned with a wire coil around the copper ether tube, which is as
original. You might ask them when you call to arrange the order and confirm
that is still the case. Unless you specify otherwise, the gauge will come back
with copper finish, but the purists would specify that the tube be zinc-plated
to be exactly as original.

If worse comes to worse, as noted, you can run the car with a bolt filling the
sender hole in the block, but also as noted, you wouldn't want to risk the
brand-new car on any more than 15-20 minutes of driving with that fix in place
since, as noted, you won't have any indicator of coolant temp until it's too
late and steam is pouring out from under the bonnet.

G.

Gary Anderson
Editor-at-large, Austin-Healey Magazine

-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-request <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Sep 1, 2013 1:29 am
Subject: Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 445

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:05:20 -0700
From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
To: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] water temp/oil gauge
Message-ID:
	<[email-masked]>

OK, I figured out why my water temp sender was leaking. The nut has been
rounded off and I was never able to torque it enough to completely tighten
the nut. So I guess my only option is to cut the capillary tube and use my
special removal socket to get the damn thing out of the head.
Question one: what will be released when I cut the tube?
two, what is the best way to cut so it can be repaired?
three. anyone have a working/rebuilt unit I can buy or borrow until mine is
rebuilt. I'd love tro drive my car before the rainy season hits in earnest.

Thanks

Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant

Portland, OR

*I spent a lot of money on booze, [women] and fast cars. The rest I just
squandered.*  English football star George Best,
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys