Subject: [Healeys] Thermostat Gasket

From: "Richard J. Hockert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 22:08:40 -0500

Does a 260 Z thermostat gasket fit the Healey 3000 engine?  I heard that the
fit is the same?

Checked the archives and did not see any reference.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Jim Hockert
Dallas, TX
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 13:55:48 +0000 (UTC)

I've bought 'generic' gaskets that fit Big Healey thermostats. Same hole size and outer shape, but the stud holes are slotted to fit several (many?) engines. If you have an old, nearly intact gasket take it to a parts store and see if they can match it up (at some stores they have a selection on display shelves). If you can find a decent counter guy/girl they might be able to cross-reference. 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 

----- Original Message -----
From: "richard mayor" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Richard J. Hockert" <[email-masked]>, "healeys" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:39:54 PM 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Thermostat Gasket 

The Z thermostat gasket is not the same. The hole for the thermostat is the 
same size but the distance between the bolt holes is about 1/8" (or more) 
with the Healey gasket. Which means you could use a Z gasket in a pinch if 
you elongated the holes. 

> From: [email-masked] 
> To: [email-masked] 
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 22:08:40 -0500 
> Subject: [Healeys] Thermostat Gasket 
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 10:44:58 -0400 (EDT)

I have to ask, why wouldn't you purchase a correct gasket for the Healey from
one of our Healey specialists?  For example, the Moss price is $1.45, so cost
surely is not the issue, is it? Yes, I understand that there is shipping costs
for the Moss part, but since we are discussing it here it cannot be a road
side emergency. Make a list of spare parts you are likely to need in the
future & order it along with the rest of the items. Supporting Healey
specialists is in our best interest.
I was surprised to find that the Moss gasket is produced in the USA!
A quote from their website:
"Moss Motors is having produced a line of gaskets that mechanics and owners
are raving about. The gaskets are made for us here in the US using a specific
Klingersil material that has ideal sealing properties. Klingersil will
compress about 11%, and it provides an excellent seal at high pressures (up to
750 lbs PSI) and high temperatures (up to 400 B:F). It is resistant to oils,
water, steam, gases, salt solutions, fuels, alcohols, organic and inorganic
acids, hydrocarbons, lubricants and refrigerants. The bottom line? This is the
best Thermostat Housing Gasket at any price."

For the record, I try to support all our suppliers, not just Moss, when
appropriate.
Gary Hodson

From: Bob Spidell [email-masked]

I've bought 'generic' gaskets that fit Big Healey thermostats. Same hole size
and outer shape, but the stud holes are slotted to fit several (many?)
engines.
If you have an old, nearly intact gasket take it to a parts store and see if
they can match it up (at some stores they have a selection on display
shelves).
If you can find a decent counter guy/girl they might be able to
cross-reference.

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 15:13:42 +0000 (UTC)

Gary,

Since you really seem to want to know, I saw the gasket at the parts store, it
looked like it could be a fit for my BJ8 so I bought it and took it home to
compare to a gasket--supplied by a 'Healey specialist'--to see if it would
work. IOW, curiosity.

We just bought a full upholstery kit for our BN2 from Moss, at a cost north of
$2K. I was so supportive, I got a hand-written thankyou card from the Moss
salesman and am currently enjoying a 10% discount on all orders for the next
year.

Supportive enough?

Bob

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:44:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Thermostat Gasket

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:41:54 -0400

Bob,

I don't think Gary's intent was to be critical, but based on the ongoing
thread, without knowing "the rest of the story", came to the conclusion.
that you were looking for a non 'Healey specialist' source for the
gasket. I understand your point, in that it would be nice to have an
emergency local source. As they say on NCIS, we are all on the same team.
Communication is the word. IMHO.

Cheers,

Doug

> ater, steam, gases, salt solutions, fuels, alcohols, organic and 
> inorganic
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> 
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> 
> 

____________________________________________________________
One Weird Trick
Could add $1,000s to Your Social Security Checks! See if you Qualify&#8230
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/523f1de12514d1de160fdst03duc
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:07:31 -0700

I agree with Gary Hodson.

I bought three of the Klingersil gaskets when I was experimenting with
sleeved thermostats and blanking plates. They are very high quality and
slightly rubbery in texture and can come on and off many times without
deteriorating.

If you really have to get one from the auto parts store, get a sheet of
gasket material and make your own. I did that and it worked fine. Still, the
Moss gaskets are better.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

[email-masked]