Subject: Re: [Healeys] Drain taps

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:56:20 -0400 (EDT)

What condition are the springs on the taps?  They can be rusted to the
point that they don't have enough spring action to hold the tapered
valve against the tapered valve body to prevent the coolant from
leaking out.  In the past I have reconditioned them with very fine
crocus cloth or better yet very fine lapping compound and fabricated
new springs out of the correct diameter size spring from a hardware
store or source of your choice.  Then reassemble with grease to keep
them from sticking in the future.  I even coat the spring with LPS 3 to
prevent rusting in the future.

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Sep 23, 2013 9:46 pm
Subject: [Healeys] Drain taps

I have not been able to stop the radiator and block drain tap from
leaking. I know I can replace the radiator tap with a plug and could
do the same for the block.

However, does any know of a source for taps that will not leak?

John Spaur
'62 BT7
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:27:05 -0700

John:  As Larry Wendland suggested, you might try the technique I used to 
fix your existing taps.  I removed the heater tap on the side of the block 
and the bottom radiator tap.  I disassembled them removing the cotter pin, 
washer, and spring.  I applied a mild abrasive (toothpaste) to the tapered 
parts, put them together, and spun the inner one slowly with my electric 
drill.  When the surfaces were nice and clean I reassembled them.  The one 
in the block has not leaked a drop.  The one in the radiator could use a 
little more TLC.  As Larry noted, make sure the spring is applying enough 
tension to hold the parts firmly together.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "john spaur" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 6:21 PM
Subject: [Healeys] Drain taps

>I have not been able to stop the radiator and block drain tap from leaking. 
>I know I can replace the radiator tap with a plug and could do the same for 
>the block.
>

[email-masked]