Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 465

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:53:36 -0400 (EDT)

We watched that race from Woodcote Corner. Clearly the British have figured
out how to build the maximum amount of performance into the old Healeys.
Though the car was entered as a 100/SIx, about the only thing that it had in
common with it's original configuration was that it still had six cylinders.
My guess is that it was putting out comfortably over 200 horsepower, and of
course was running disc brakes front and rear, and enhanced suspension
components. The clues were that it could out-accelerate the 300SL Gullwing on
the straights and outbrake it going into the corners -- two feats that a
100-Six NEVER would have been able to do in the day. Smithies was also driving
it in a very spirited manner, passing at any opportunity and sometimes when
there wasn't an obvious opportunity. Beating a noted international champion
driver like Jochen Maas is quite an achievement.
Great race to watch in person.

Interestingly, looking at the car afterward, the owner had clearly intended to
preserve the well-weathered look of the rally car that this Healey once was,
rather than going for the highly-polished immaculate appearance of some of the
other cars.

For me, the most impressive aspect of the race, however, was that it included
OAC 1, one of the two original Donald-Healey-built Healey Hundred Coupes,
looking absolutely terrific and driven very respectably to a credible finish.

Gary

Gary Anderson
Editor-at-Large, Austin-Healey Magazine

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:29:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ron Mitchell <[email-masked]>
To: Derek <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
	<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] TON 792 wins Goodwood Fordwater Trophy
Message-ID:
	<[email-masked]>

Not only did Smithies spin off the track on the first lap and drop back to
eighth he was punted off the course on the third lap by the second 300 SLR
Gullwing, regained control of it and dropped further back.  He was still able
to pass everyone  in front of him and lead the last three laps for the win.
 Quite a feat of driving skill and obviously a very well prepare car.

What
a great idea to stream the event live and let us common folk enjoy the full
week end of racing.  I don't recall who provided the URL for the live feed
but
have to thank you for letting us know that it was available.

Ron Mitchell
1959 BN6
1962 BN7

________________________________
 From: Derek
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, September
15, 2013 1:12 PM
Subject: [Healeys] TON 792 wins Goodwood Fordwater Trophy
The ex Nancy Mitchell works 100 Six was driven by David Smithies from pole
although a first lap spin dropped him to8th from where he stormed back to
win.
Jochen Mass was second in a 300SL Gullwing, a Ferrari 250 Tour de France was
3rd.

Derek
_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "David Porter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:26:36 -0600

Gary,
 I thought I saw an old 356 Porsche (#77) in that race. Would you happen to
know if it was Bruce Jennings from Maryland? 
Dave

[email-masked]

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
Porter Custom Bicycles

1954 Austin Healey 100

1970 MG Midget

gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 2:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 465

components. The clues were that it could out-accelerate the 300SL Gullwing
on
100-Six NEVER would have been able to do in the day. Smithies was also
driving

Interestingly, looking at the car afterward, the owner had clearly intended
to
preserve the well-weathered look of the rally car that this Healey once was,
rather than going for the highly-polished immaculate appearance of some of
the
other cars.

For me, the most impressive aspect of the race, however, was that it
included
OAC 1, one of the two original Donald-Healey-built Healey Hundred Coupes,
looking absolutely terrific and driven very respectably to a credible
finish.

Gary

Gary Anderson

Message: 7

Gullwing, regained control of it and dropped further back.  He was still
able

What

Ron Mitchell
1959 BN6
1962 BN7

Derek

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:39:44 +0100

Gary

I believe that TON 792 is prepped to FIA app K regs so although modified it
satisfies the period requirements. The car will be producing around 275 bhp at
the flywheel which is what most of the euro pean and uk race Healeys are
putting out.

Looking forward to the all Healey race at Castle Coombe next month.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone

on
driving
to
the
included
finish.
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
able
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:01:53 +0100

I'm not familiar with how FIA rules work but they definitely sound more like
U.S. SCCA regs than U.S. vintage rules. Good race regardless.
G

Sent from my iPhone

on
driving
to
the
included
finish.
able

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:08:30 -0400 (EDT)

That is an impressive amount of BHP! What does it take to get there?
Just curious.
Gary H

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek [email-masked]

I believe that TON 792 is prepped to FIA app K regs so although modified it
satisfies the period requirements. The car will be producing around 275 bhp
at
the flywheel which is what most of the euro pean and uk race Healeys are
putting out.

Derek

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:39:04 +0100

Gary,

The short answer is... a lot of money!

It will have a full race cam (320 degrees), 11 or 12 to 1 compression
ratio. Alloy head with bigger valves all round fully ported etc, fully
balanced forged steel engine, that will rev to at least 7500, sometimes
8000rpm. Triple Webers etc, etc. It will not have electronic ignition as
that isn't allowed. As Gary rightly said, its a bit different from the
original 100-Six that it began life as.

Derek

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 06:42:07 -0400 (EDT)

No, sorry.
The two Porsche 356s in the race were owned and driven by Alex de Reguero and
Thomas Pond.

Gary

Gary Anderson
Editor, The Star and Editor at Large, AH Mag

-----Original Message-----
From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
To: editorgary <[email-masked]>; healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Sep 16, 2013 4:26 pm
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 465

Gary,

1954 Austin Healey 100

1970 MG Midget

[email-masked]