Subject: [Healeys] Front Wheel Grease Retaining Cups (Reproductions).

From: Graham Wilkie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 05:07:40 +0000 FILETIME=[80AC74B0:01CEB1D1]

Hello,

I am currently replacing both front wheel splined hub extensions, and the
bearings which reside within.

The grease retaining cups were missing from both of the old hubs.

I have acquired a pair of new reproduction grease retaining cups. I have no
previous experience installing grease retaining cups. I am proceeding as per
the manual; not filling them with grease, and using a drift (1 1/8" long
socket in my case) and have started tapping the first one in. Well, tapping is
an understatement, it is requiring some hefty blows on the drift with a large
hammer. It has gone in about 1/2".  It feels much too tight, so I have paused
to seek guidance.  The vehicle is a 1966 BJ8. I have measured the dimensions
with a vernier. The ID of the removed original old hub is 1.870". The ID of
the new hub is also 1.870", so I have concluded that the new hub is not at
fault.  The OD of the new reproduction grease cup is 1.878". I have nothing to
compare that with.

How easily are these cups meant to slide in? Should they be able to be pulled
out by hand once the extractor tool is fitted?  I'm wondering if the new
reproduction grease cups have not been accurately reproduced, and are too
wide.  Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas would be very welcome. Regards,
Graham Wilkie.BJ8 Moruya NSW Australia.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys