Subject: [Healeys] Cam break in

From: Stephen Hutchings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:41:32 -0400

I've just reached a biy of a milestone myself, in that I fired up the 
engine for the first time in six years, particularly to break in my 
new cam. I was following the procedure of taking the engine to 
2000rpm and keeping it there for twenty minutes (the rest of the 
engine is already run in, long story)...but I developed a nasty 
coolant leak and had to shut it down after about ten minutes.
I think I've sorted the leak, but I'm wondering now whether I should 
start it up and do the remaining ten minutes.
The procedure described by Elgin cams can be hard to follow, because 
after all that time, with newly rebuilt carbs, etc. it doesn't 
exactly snap to 2000 rpm and stay there, there is a certain amount of 
fettling required! Once this is done I'm relying on an oil change to 
flush away the special cam break in lube.

Stephen, BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Richard J. Hockert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:07:20 -0500

Break it in with the burnout.......

Don't worry about it.

Best regards,
Jim Hockert
Dallas, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Stephen Hutchings
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 8:42 AM
To: Healey
Subject: [Healeys] Cam break in

I've just reached a biy of a milestone myself, in that I fired up the engine
for the first time in six years, particularly to break in my new cam. I was
following the procedure of taking the engine to 2000rpm and keeping it there
for twenty minutes (the rest of the engine is already run in, long
story)...but I developed a nasty coolant leak and had to shut it down after
about ten minutes.
I think I've sorted the leak, but I'm wondering now whether I should start
it up and do the remaining ten minutes.
The procedure described by Elgin cams can be hard to follow, because after
all that time, with newly rebuilt carbs, etc. it doesn't exactly snap to
2000 rpm and stay there, there is a certain amount of fettling required!
Once this is done I'm relying on an oil change to flush away the special cam
break in lube.

Stephen, BJ8
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]