Subject: [Healeys] Sideshift 4 Speed Rebuild Issue

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 13:49:42 -0800

Just road tested the 1961 healey with re-built trans.

Prior to rebuild, Overdrive took forever if it went in at all, it couldn't
downshift to 2nd at any speed, crunched going from 1-2, and popped out of
2nd gear on overrun.

Replaced bearings, synchro's and seals,  verified end floats well within
factory tolerance, and slightly shimmed the springs on the 2nd gear sliding
hub, as the detent was imperceptible upon inspection.

Overdrive is now working perfectly.

Shifts up into all gears with no issues and feels good, downshifts from 4-3
at any speed with no issues, but will only downshift from 3rd to 2nd at
speeds below 15 mph.  Is this acceptable or is it  typical?

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:13:56 -0800

I've always had to double clutch (blip the throttle) to downshift to second.

[email-masked]