Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 with BJ7 id was for sale at Gullwing motors

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 15:59:08 +1100

G'day

That car has been up for sale for the last month or so, but looking at the
rear of the main chassis rails it certainly is a later BJ8.

I have no doubt that someone with insufficient knowledge has mixed the
plates.

Over the last year of so I have been surprised at the number of cars have
incorrect engines or plates.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Chris Dimmock [Healey]
Sent: Thursday, 7 November 2013 12:40 PM
To: Healeys
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 with BJ7 id was for sale at Gullwing motors

Hmmmm this "BJ8", which looks to be a late BJ8, which was for sale at
Gullwing motors, appears to have BJ7 riveted tags on it....
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=99120238@N04&q=18963
As they say - buyer beware......
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 22:11:09 +1100

It looks like a BJ8. It has a late BJ8 chassis. It *was* a BJ8 from the pics
until I saw the riveted plates saying its a BJ7.....
I'm concerned the title could be an issue for someone.
Not me. I've got no interest.
But... Someone could have an issue.
What's that phrase??
Buyer beware...
;-)
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 07/11/2013, at 3:59 PM, "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> As they say - buyer beware

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 06:15:15 -0500

I can tell you that there are simply an amazing number of BJ8s out there
with scrambled numbers.  Even "very high-dollar restorations" have been
found with mixed up identities.  Anyone with any ideas of buying a BJ8 would
be well-advised to check with the BJ8 Registry for any available information
about a car before putting down their money.  The Registry has records now
for 8,345 BJ8s worldwide, which is approaching 50% of total production so
there is a good chance that the Registry can be a useful resource in
avoiding "surprises".

Sometimes owners of these cars are interested in sorting out the
misidentification, but unfortunately too many are not.  I've seen some
unloaded quickly after the owner found out about the issue.  They could have
saved themselves some trouble if they had checked with the Registry before
buying it, and that includes dealers.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Patrick & Caroline Quinn
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:59 PM
To: 'Chris Dimmock [Healey]'; 'Healeys'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 with BJ7 id was for sale at Gullwing motors

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

-----Original Message-----

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 09:22:29 -0500

This is not only the case with the Healeys, I just went through a night mare 
with a 1948 MG TC, that has been in out personal family for 62 years.
The car was purchased by my father in New York in 1950. He raced with the 
SCCA in the 50's and early 60's until his demise. It was wrecked and rebuilt 
on occasion. After his death it went to my mother whom put it in storage and 
gave it to my brother in 1974 (graduation present). It was then restored. My 
brother passed in 2011. The car then went to his widow (Much to my surprise 
as it was supposed to go to me). Anyway after 2 years she agreed to sell the 
car to me. (Finances aren't currently great) Had to take a loan out for 1/2. 
It was during this inspection that it was finally after 62 years found the 
numbers on the car don't match the title (Not even close) Now even though 
the car has remained in the same family and only 2 different address, I was 
forced to re title the car in Ohio with a new vin (Possibly hurting the 
value of a known race car). There is away to change it back and it cost 
about $1000.00. I will probably due this after I pay off the note, and it 
will then be correct for my son.

Kit Henry
1948 MG TC
Former Healy Owner (Now In Chicago)

-----Original Message----- 
From: BJ8Healeys
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:15 AM
To: 'Healeys'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 with BJ7 id was for sale at Gullwing motors

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

-----Original Message-----

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]