Subject: [Healeys] Camshaft/crank sprockets

From: Elton Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 22:54:21 -0500

Fellow Listers,
As a novice, I need some help. I'm reassembling my 3000 engine and I am 
puzzled as how to align the camshaft sprocket with the crank. The 
workshop manual says "set the crankshaft and camshaft with the keyways 
approx. at TDC when seen from the front." I assume that means having the 
keyways on both shafts pointing straight up. It seems to me that this is 
an imprecise way of aligning both shafts. For example, there are no 
dimples on either of my sprockets to align with each other like on an MG 
engine.
Could you instruct me on how this should be done?
Thanks in advance,
Elton
BJ7 in progress
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 21:15:15 -0800

I just did this a couple of days ago.

Actually there are (should be on yours too) dimples on the two sprockets.

With the crank positioned with #1 at TDC the key will be almost straight up.
turn your cam to TDC at #1. NOTE: There are two possible orientations. lobes
at #1 should be almost pointing up. Lobes at #6 will be almost pointing down.
Key will be almost straight up.

The timing chain has two "bright links" the rest are dark grey/blued steel.
These will line up to the dimples on each gear. There is only one proper way
for this to happen leaving the keyways in the right position.

With the gears and chain together fit them over the crankshaft. You may need
to slightly rotate your cam until the keyways line up.

Here's a picture from a shop manual (my cover is already on)

http://ewilkins.com/wilko/healeys/healey_timing.gif

Cheers,
Rick

> As a novice, I need some help. I'm reassembling my 3000 engine and I am
puzzled as how to align the camshaft sprocket with the crank. The workshop
manual says "set the crankshaft and camshaft with the keyways approx. at TDC
when seen from the front." I assume that means having the keyways on both
shafts pointing straight up. It seems to me that this is an imprecise way of
aligning both shafts. For example, there are no dimples on either of my
sprockets to align with each other like on an MG engine.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:55:45 -0500 (EST)

Elton, You're welcome.  Glad to be of help and thanks for the Kudos.
Larry
'67 BJ8

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-----Original Message-----
From: Elton Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: Healey List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Nov 13, 2013 12:37 AM
Subject: [Healeys] Fwd: Camshaft/crank sprockets

Thanks to everyone who responded especially Rick and Larry regarding my
timing chain question. I was able get it installed correctly following
their helpful advice.
Elton
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Healeys] Camshaft/crank sprockets
Date: 	Thu, 07 Nov 2013 22:54:21 -0500
From: 	Elton Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: 	Healey List <[email-masked]>
Fellow Listers,
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]