Subject: Re: [Healeys] Revelations and Questions

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:37:49 +0000

Is it really correct that the aluminium engine was based on the MGC engine? I
have never heard that before. That car and the engine, which is not currently
in the car, are maintained by Paul Woolmer and Ive never heard him mention the
MGC design. I'll check with him.

John Chatham is currently re-manufacturing aluminium engine blocks based on
castings taken from one of the three (or four?) engines that were originally
made. I believe only two originals now exist.

Derek

On 7 Nov 2013, at 18:57, Jackson Krall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've been pouring over my meagre collection of AH literature lately and a
few things of interest have come up, probably covered in books I don't have,
but some on the list might also take interest.
>
> GCH states that the whereabouts of KWD, the original 100 prototype, is
unknown. Is this still true?
>
> There was a 100 drop head coupe exercise. What happened to that car?
>
> The remote control Armstrong shocks recently discussed on the list were used
on the 100S spec, red and black, 100 coupe driven by DMH for some years.
>
> The aluminum block engine used in the last "works" built competition car,
PWB 57, for the illfated 1967 RAC rally, and I found this almost shocking and
deeply ironic,  was actually an MGC engine built for the GTS. I did not know
that.
>
> So there you have it.
> Best
> JK
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Ulla & Sven Ordell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:00:47 +0100

I agree, it most unlikely that an MGC block was used. There would be no
benefit in using an unproven design where no tuning data was available
instead of the well proven 4 bearing Austin-Healey block.
Please, Derek, verify if possible so no more myths are spread unnecessarily.
Regards
Sven
Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Fren: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Fvr Derek Job
Skickat: den 8 november 2013 09:38
Till: Jackson Krall
Kopia: [email-masked]
Dmne: Re: [Healeys] Revelations and Questions

Is it really correct that the aluminium engine was based on the MGC engine?
I have never heard that before. That car and the engine, which is not
currently in the car, are maintained by Paul Woolmer and Ive never heard him
mention the MGC design. I'll check with him.

Derek

> The aluminum block engine used in the last "works" built competition
PWB 57, for the illfated 1967 RAC rally, and I found this almost shocking
and deeply ironic,  was actually an MGC engine built for the GTS. I did not
know that.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual
> donation  $12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 21:25:26 +1100

Jackson,
I suspect you've mixed your Walt Disney, Little Golden book and Healey
literature up? ;-)
The alloy Head for Healeys would overhang an MGC block.
Some (one?) of the remaining alloy blocks cast to be used in PWB are with John
Chatham.
Dave Woodhouse (DMD) has built new Healey Alloy block.
http://www.healeyfactory.com.au/dmd/original-works-alloy-block/
http://www.healeyfactory.com.au/dmd/development-manufacturing-process/

Maybe BMC contemplated using an alloy Healey engine in an MGC?
Maybe BMC put an alloy Healey engine in an MGC?
Maybe the idea and the money to cast the alloy Healey blocks came from MG, who
may have been
 looking for a new engine for the MGC??
But it's a Healey engine, not an MGC engine
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

> I've been pouring over my meagre collection of AH literature lately and a
few things of interest have come up.....
>
> ....The aluminum block engine used in the last "works" built competition
car, PWB 57, for the illfated 1967 RAC rally, and I found this almost shocking
and deeply ironic,  was actually an MGC engine built for the GTS. I did not
know that.
>
> So there you have it.
> Best
> JK
> __________________________

[email-masked]