Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear shock bolts

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 07:56:26 +0800

I think part of the problem is the threads on the nuts stretch just a bit
causing some loosening.  I think the washers, unless very hard steel, will
also dimple over time and then cause loosening, so you might have better
luck with grade 8 nylocks and grade 8 bolts only.  I wouldn't use split
washers - they'll flex just enough under load that the nuts will loosen a
bit over time, they splits do their job - i.e. the nuts won't come off, but
they can loosen a bit.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Richard Kahn <[email-masked]>wrote:

> I read sometime ago about using Allen head bolts to hold the rear shocks
> on a
> BJ8 as it is near impossible to get tools into the tight areas.  As I am
> again
> experiencing  loosening nuts, I would like to do something different.
> Anyone
> else having trouble with loosening shocks. I have hardened washer and lock
> wishers and two nuts on each bolts. I'm wondering if the bolts are
> stretching
> (really only one has loosened). Would stainless be less likely to stretch?
> Rich Kahn
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 16:21:13 -0800

Not sure about a BJ8 but I used lock nuts on my BT7

John

At 03:18 PM 11/4/2013 -0800, Richard Kahn wrote:
>I read sometime ago about using Allen head bolts to hold the rear shocks on a
>BJ8 as it is near impossible to get tools into the tight areas.  As I am again
>experiencing  loosening nuts, I would like to do something different. Anyone
>wishers and two nuts on each bolts. I'm wondering if the bolts are stretching
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]