Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 01:31:32 +0000

what say the experts on this exmple?
So my 60 BT7 is insured for $45K. Should I up the value or are they still
flat on value? I guess the market for Heraleys continues to raise......

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:00 AM, HealeyRick <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A Kurt Tanner GBM BJ8 went for $132k at BJ Palm Beach 2012.  I sort of
> remember one going for around $150k, but I could be mistaken.
>
> Rick
>
>
> "Madman in a death machine"
> Follow My Nasty Boy Build: http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
>
>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* I Erbs <[email-masked]>
> *To:* Ahealey help <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:41 PM
> *Subject:* [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay
>
> Are gold paintee BJ8s going fro this much?
> *https://tinyurl.com/ne9eymh <https://tinyurl.com/ne9eymh>*
>
> Ira Erbs
> IT Teacher
> and Consultant
> Portland, OR
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:36:06 -0500 (EST)

At first glance, it has the wrong exhaust system.  The resonators are
missing and the door opening seal is wrong.  They used the seal that
goes around the top (hood) window opening with the big bulb seal as
apposed to the correct small bulb seal with the small lip.  A small
issue is the two reflectors and brackets are missing from the rear
bumper.  The reported mileage of 158 is what?  Mileage since
restoration?  Other than that, it's a very nice restoration from what
can be seen from the photos.

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
To: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Nov 10, 2013 7:49 pm
Subject: [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay

Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR
You call it happiness. I call it Acute Despair Deficit syndrome.
My Doppelgdnger wants to start resembling other people.
copied from the Nein Quarterly
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Jean Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 04:09:23 +0000

More than the items that are not "correct" according to the Concours Guide,
although in all fairness it is not advertised as such, the serial number plate
is certainly not what you would normally find on a BJ8. So the question is, is
this a BJ8 that really was originally Golden Beige.

No matter what, I would be hesitant to purchase a vehicle like this, no matter
who restored it,  without seeing it in person or having someone with knowledge
of these cars inpect it in person.

Jean

> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:36:06 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay
>
> Suggested annual donation $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/vintage_roadster_restoration@ho
tmail.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:29:07 -0500

Jean, I don't see any close-up photos of the serial number (VIN) plate
shown, but if you are referring to the shape of the plate that can be seen
in the engine bay photo, BJ8s from about HBJ8L/40xxx got the type of plate
shown in this car (rounded ends, rather than rectangular as the earlier
plate was).  As with so many such detail changes from the factory, the VIN
plate shape change point is not exact.

Yes, 41590 was one of the original 553 (not 551) Metallic Golden Beige cars.
By the way, all 553 were NOT built in 1967 ("the last year of production").
The very first one left the factory in 1965.  The second one was a show car
at Earls Court in late '66 a few months before production actually started
in Feb 67.  The question is, though, is THIS car 41590?  There are so many
cars out there now with identity plates from other cars that it's hard to
tell for sure with so little information given.  A few more serial numbers
would help to establish whether this car is what is claims to be.

My information is that 41590 was once wrecked and bought back from State
Farm sometime between 1976 and 1984.  It is out of Missouri (three owners of
record there) and was also once painted orange.  It would appear that some
restorers of high-quality/high dollar cars are not particularly interested
in Concours, but in restoring the cars to a configuration that they believe
will appeal most to the public at large and bring in the most profit.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA National Delegate
Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jean Caron
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:09 PM
To: Larry Wendland; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay

More than the items that are not "correct" according to the Concours Guide,
although in all fairness it is not advertised as such, the serial number
plate
is certainly not what you would normally find on a BJ8. So the question is,
is
this a BJ8 that really was originally Golden Beige.

No matter what, I would be hesitant to purchase a vehicle like this, no
matter
who restored it,  without seeing it in person or having someone with
knowledge
of these cars inpect it in person.

Jean

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:26:57 -0800 (PST)

My memory isn't completely shot.  Here's the Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 that
sold for $143k at BJ Scottsdale way back in 2006: 
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?l
n=1238&aid=53  I'm not sure this was even an original golden beige car as
usually that's mentioned in the auction descriptions.  Kurt Tanner seems to
have done pretty well with turning out some eye catching color combinations. 
I particularly like his California Sage over linen cars, even though never an
original color combo.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty
Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

________________________________
From: BJ8Healeys <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Monday,
November 11, 2013 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay

  It
would appear that some restorers of high-quality/high dollar cars are not
particularly interested
in Concours, but in restoring the cars to a
configuration that they believe
will appeal most to the public at large and
bring in the most profit.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA National
Delegate
Havelock, NC  USA

[email-masked]

---

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:44:10 -0500

HBJ8L/34507 was not originally Metallic Golden Beige, but Ivory White, and
it sold to Australia.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

Havelock, NC  

From: HealeyRick [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 10:27 AM
To: BJ8Healeys; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay

My memory isn't completely shot.  Here's the Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 that
sold for $143k at BJ Scottsdale way back in 2006:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?
ln=1238&aid=53  I'm not sure this was even an original golden beige car as
usually that's mentioned in the auction descriptions.  Kurt Tanner seems to
have done pretty well with turning out some eye catching color combinations.
I particularly like his California Sage over linen cars, even though never
an original color combo.

Rick

[email-masked]

---

From: Jean Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:25:12 +0000

Steve:

I stand corrected, I was of the opinion that the BJ8 model all had the
rectangular plate. Thanks for the explanation, learn something new every day.

Jean

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:29:07 -0500

[email-masked]

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:51:54 -0800

Gentlemen:

Very interesting discussion!  As the owner of a very late (42845), very 
recently fully restored  Golden Beige Metallic BJ8 ( owned 33 years), I feel 
I am in a position to comment.  We attempted to stay very original appearing 
with this restoration, although many unobtrusive changes were made - Smitty 
Toyota 5-speed conversion, 123 ignition (installed in a 25D Lucas 
distributor for appearance reasons), chrome 72 spoke wire wheels, Udo 
Putske's Bilstein shock conversion set, free pivoting Noltec urethane 
suspension bushings throughout, etc. etc.

Incidentally, I used Martin McGreggor door seals, which have a flap rather 
than a bulb, and I can attest that they are far superior to the originals - 
end of statement.  Hard to tell at a casual glance, but a close inspection 
will give it away.  Those who have used this door seal will understand what 
I mean.

I now have approx. 3K miles on the car over the summer, and have been able 
to sort out most of the post restoration problems (it's been fun!).  Still a 
few things to be sorted over the winter.  Of course, one of the first things 
done as soon as the car was on the road was to have it appraised by a local 
well qualified collector car specialist appraiser whose enjoys a good 
relationship with the people at our provincially operated auto insurer, and 
who has closely watched the collector car market for many, many years.  In 
fact, the fellow kept track of the car during the restoration, with interim 
appraisals that reflected the increasing value as it was being built, in 
case of a loss during construction.  This was done in the light of rapidly 
rising values of gold BJ8's during the time period.

The appraised value is well over $100K - approaching the current auction 
prices for gold BJ8's.  I would venture a guess that this car is better in 
some ways than the usual gold auction BJ8, given the heritage certificate 
proof that it was originally GBM with black trim, and that the car's 
structure is very original - very minimal rust repair / body work.

Could I sell the car for it's appraised value - not very likely.  One has to 
take the auction prices with a bit of a grain of salt, although they do 
indicate market trends.  I restored the car with the intent of using it 
until I am no longer able to do so, so it will get some wear and tear - 
that's alright with me.  Let my heirs worry about it's value later.

But as to Ira's original enquiry, yes - very good BJ8's, especially - it 
seems - the gold cars are bringing in the vicinity of 100K - usually more. 
Will that continue, who knows.  Meantime, we should all enjoy these cars for 
what they are.  I know I am!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb 

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:26:09 -0800

Congrats Ed,
I have no intention of selling my car and yes my sons can sort it out. i
just want to be able to replace it should it get stolen or wrecked. After
almost 40 years of ownership, I expect quite a few more years of bugs in my
teeth...

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Earl Kagna <[email-masked]> wrote:

> recently fully restored  Golden Beige Metallic BJ8 ( owned 33 years), I
> feel I am in a position to comment.  We attempted to stay very original
> appearing with this restoration, although many unobtrusive changes were
> made - Smitty Toyota 5-speed conversion, 123 ignition (installed in a 25D
> Lucas distributor for appearance reasons), chrome 72 spoke wire wheels, Udo
> to sort out most of the post restoration problems (it's been fun!).  Still
> a few things to be sorted over the winter.  Of course, one of the first
> things done as soon as the car was on the road was to have it appraised by
> a local well qualified collector car specialist appraiser whose enjoys a
> good relationship with the people at our provincially operated auto
> insurer, and who has closely watched the collector car market for many,
> many years.  In fact, the fellow kept track of the car during the
> restoration, with interim appraisals that reflected the increasing value as
> it was being built, in case of a loss during construction.  This was done
> in the light of rapidly rising values of gold BJ8's during the time period.
>
> Could I sell the car for it's appraised value - not very likely.  One has
> to take the auction prices with a bit of a grain of salt, although they do
> Will that continue, who knows.  Meantime, we should all enjoy these cars
> for what they are.  I know I am!
>
> Earl Kagna
> Victoria, B.C.
> BJ8, BT7 tri-carb _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:35:56 -0800 (PST)

Here's the link:  http://tinyurl.com/lnpxehx

Rick

"Madman in a death
machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
________________________________
 From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
To:
BJ8Healeys <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 10:26 AM
Subject:
Re: [Healeys] 100K Healey on Ebay

My memory isn't completely shot.  Here's
the Metallic Golden Beige BJ8 that
sold for $143k at BJ Scottsdale way back in
2006:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?l
n=1238&aid=53  I'm not sure this was even an original golden beige car as
usually that's mentioned in the auction descriptions.  Kurt Tanner seems to
have done pretty well with turning out some eye catching color combinations.
I particularly like his California Sage over linen cars, even though never an
original color combo.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]