Subject: [Healeys] Rear shock bolts

From: Richard Kahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 15:18:56 -0800 FILETIME=[3C856980:01CED9B4]

I read sometime ago about using Allen head bolts to hold the rear shocks on a
BJ8 as it is near impossible to get tools into the tight areas.  As I am again
experiencing  loosening nuts, I would like to do something different. Anyone
else having trouble with loosening shocks. I have hardened washer and lock
wishers and two nuts on each bolts. I'm wondering if the bolts are stretching
(really only one has loosened). Would stainless be less likely to stretch?
Rich Kahn
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 22:03:59 -0500

My experience has been that the bolt heads "sink" into the aluminum shock ears
causing them to loosen off.
I have had success using Allen screws, so you can tighten them, with as large
a hardened washer as will fit in the space on the shock ear.

Michael S
BN1 #174

-----Original Message-----
From: "Richard Kahn" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b2013-b11-b04 6:45 PM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] Rear shock bolts

BJ8 as it is near impossible to get tools into the tight areas.  As I am
again

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 20:12:26 -0800

Suggest using grade 8 or 10 allen bolts. Do not use Stainless as it is less
than grade 5.

Rich Kahn wrote:

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 15:18:56 -0800
From: Richard Kahn <[email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> >
To: "[email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> "
<[email-masked]
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=[email-masked]> >
Subject: [Healeys] Rear shock bolts
<https://mbox.hoster902.com/compose.php?to=COL127-W232DF2DA40AC187F0CD523A4F
[email-masked]> >

I read sometime ago about using Allen head bolts to hold the rear shocks on
a
BJ8 as it is near impossible to get tools into the tight areas.  As I am
again
experiencing  loosening nuts, I would like to do something different. Anyone
else having trouble with loosening shocks. I have hardened washer and lock
wishers and two nuts on each bolts. I'm wondering if the bolts are
stretching
(really only one has loosened). Would stainless be less likely to stretch?
Rich Kahn

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

[email-masked]