Subject: Re: [Healeys] LBC wreck

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:10:37 +0000 (UTC)

Ugh. Glad your friend was not too badly hurt (neck soreness may show up later). 

Unfortunately, the rear-ender is probably the hardest accident to avoid, no matter how diligent and defensive your driving. The idiots in front and abeam will often signal their incompetency/intentions with 'body language'--my favorite is the guy who turns on his blinker after he's drifted halfway into your lane already--but, no matter how often you 'check six' there usually isn't enough time and/or 'outs' to avoid these. I've lived in the SF Bay Area for 30+ years and have been rear-ended at least 6 times (I've lost track). 

In a perverse way--and I hate being tailgated as much as anybody--the guy who's riding your ass is probably less of a threat because he's paying attention and ready to slow if necessary. It's the people sitting a couple car-lengths back checking their smartphone who don't realize the closing time is a second or two who scare me the most. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

A friend of mine in Pittsburgh was rearended while driving his freshly restored E-Type FHC 2+2. Car is badly damaged and he suffered a broken wrist and lots of bruses. 

The guy who hit him is thought to have been "high". This goes to show us how we must be AWARE of others all the time while driving our toys. 

Tom 

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/multi-vehicle-accident-shuts-down-parkway-east-out/nbzgz/ 
_______________________________________________ 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:22:13 -0800 (PST)

Was just reading this thread on 3rd brake lights on MGBs: 
 http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2525482,page=1  What stands out is how
many posters had been rear-ended.  And it's not that clear that a 3rd brake
light gives much protection against the truly distracted clueless driver,
which seems to be on the rise.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My
Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
To:
Tom Felts <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday,
November 22, 2013 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LBC wreck

Ugh. Glad your
friend was not too badly hurt (neck soreness may show up later).
Unfortunately, the rear-ender is probably the hardest accident to avoid, no
matter how diligent and defensive your driving. 
Bob 

----- Original Message
-----

A friend of mine in Pittsburgh was rearended while driving his freshly
restored E-Type FHC 2+2. Car is badly damaged and he suffered a broken wrist
and lots of bruses. 

The guy who hit him is thought to have been "high". This
goes to show us how we must be AWARE of others all the time while driving our
toys. 

Tom

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 13:51:21 -0500

Take a look at the "My Modifications" section of the Technical page on my
site. The light I used fits the curvature of the rear shroud perfectly.
However, I must agree that the idiots texting will never see any light even
if you have a million of them and they don't care.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of HealeyRick
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:22 PM
To: Bob Spidell; Tom Felts
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LBC wreck

Was just reading this thread on 3rd brake lights on MGBs: 
 http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2525482,page=1  What stands out is
how many posters had been rear-ended.  And it's not that clear that a 3rd
brake light gives much protection against the truly distracted clueless
driver, which seems to be on the rise.

Rick

Subject: Re
e: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]