Subject: [Healeys] Healey 100-6 rear end

From: Darin Graber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 11:19:47 -0700

Hello to the forum,

    I have multiple projects going on at once with my AH restoration so I
apologize for the multiple postings on multiple topics as of late.
    Currently there is over 1/2 inch play in the diff on my '57 100-6.  There
is a loud clunk when shifting gears, and at highway speed, it whines quite
loudly.  I have not opened it up yet to know what's going on, but I don't
think it can be good.  If adjustments are out and gears are worn, replacing
gears will be expensive I think.  I have also heard someone else talking on
this forum about loud rear ends with lots of play in 100-6's, but don't
remember what his responses were.
    Several questions - how bad can this be inside, and can you put the diff
from the 3000 (o/d) into a 100-6 (o/d)?  Are there advantages to the different
ratios?  A straight swap might be less expensive and easier than a rebuild of
the current one.  Again I haven't taken it apart yet so all of this is
preliminary.  Thanks in advance for your vast knowledge...

Darin
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys