Subject: [Healeys] FW: Sebring 3000s

From: J & L Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 21:23:32 +1100

Blokes
A subject dear to me

First of all what do we all mean by 'the works'?

Jensen was the 'works' that Healeys were made at, less engine,gearbox and
wheels (see the pics available on some magazines/books)

MG Competition Dept later to become BMC Competition Dept. builder of 'works'
rally cars

MG Assembly line where the bits supplied by BMC that were missing when the
assembled chassis and interior was delivered from Jensen ( six at a time on
the back of a car transporter.)  Standard production car 'works'

Rally Healeys were built at the BMC Comps Dept and owned by MG Car Co.

Sebring UJB141, 142,143 and 144 were I think built at BMC Comps.

The BJ.7 1963 and 1964 cars were built at the Donald Healey Motor Co Warwick
'works' and owned by Healeys and fitted with a 'HEALEY' chassis plate.

My car the last, a BJ.8, was identified on the HEALEY chassis plate as :
TYPE  --    GT

Aux. lights were actually the fog type lens. Bodies were the same as the
clear lens 'driving' light

The BJ.7 lights were mounted with the single rear hollow bolt standard on
these Lucas lights and the shroud had a recessed bowl to recess the body of
the light.
My BJ.8 has the same light but it is mounted direct to the shroud without
the recess.

Remember that these Sebring cars were built as long distance, lightweight
circuit racers. I think DAC953C is just on the tonne in weight.  No wood
dash or centre console, no door window glass or interior door trim.  At
least the 1963 & 64 cars were without overdrive but DAC953C has it although
Geoff Healey could not remember if that was the case for Sebring 12 Hours

I am pleased to say that I have had DAC953C since 1977 when I rang a USAF
Major in London and he sent the car out from Mountain Home Idaho.  In those
days there was virtually nothing in print about these cars. Probably as they
were not part of the BMC publicity chain as much as other brands in the
group. One of the 1963 cars was used widely in a Champion spark plug advert
in the motoring press of the day.

Sorry about the lecture.
Joe
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 10:12:04 -0800

The UJB cars are well documented (and recapped by heritage and Geoff Healey
and Bill Woods) to have been "built" at Healey in Warwick.

Here are 54 FAC and %^ FAC in 1963 with no recesses for the lights:
ewilkins.com/wilko/healeys/54FAC_1963_Sebring.jpg

...and 54 FAC again with the shroud clearly showing a 1963 Sebring Healey with
no recess for the lights:

ewilkins.com/wilko/healeys/54_fac_no_lights.jpg

The  1964 Car (one) is seen in deail at this link and did have the lights
recessed into the shroud:
www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/1146876,114/1964-Austin-Healey-3000-MK-III_pho
to.aspx#photo

On Dec 8, 2013, at 2:23 AM, J & L Armour wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]