Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cam end play

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 02:12:19 +0000

Mike
That locating plate is actually the "thrust plate". The camshaft is located
"front to back" by the oil pump driving spindle that pushes the camshaft
forward into that thrust plate.  A word of caution. A 100-6 rotor style oil
pump puts way too much force into that camshaft and into that thrust plate.
That's why later 100-6 thrust plates had oil grooves machined into them.  The
3000 engines used the gear style oil pump and the problems went away.
Richard

> Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 15:47:24 -0500
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Healeys] Cam end play
>
> Putting the lump back together and doing up the front plate.  How is the
> cam located front to back?  There's no thrust bearing/washer just the
> locating plate which doesn't look like a piece that deals with rotating
> friction.
> I just drive the cam sprocket home, tighten it down and the locating plate
> takes care of it? The factory manual just states the ever-informative
> "reassembly is a reversal....". It just doesn't feel right - too easy.
> Cheers,
> Mike Tobin
> Pepperell, ma
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Skip Saunders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 22:18:58 -0500

Just using the plate works.... however, over time, because there is rotating
friction, there will be a circular groove eventually worn into the plate.
Be sure this groove is not very deep.   I had a plate with a groove that was
too deep (I can't recall exactly, but perhaps 1/8" to 1/4" deep???).   The
problem with that deep a groove is that the cam can move slightly forward in
the block and the tappet and cam follower will touch the inside of the
block.   As the cam follower rotates it comes in contact and then misses,
then comes in contact, then misses..... makes a horrible racket when it is
touching and makes you think the engine is going to die......but because it
is intermittent it is tough to localize.   (that's the long story....the
short story:  Just put an un-worn plate on and don't worry about it.)

Thanks
-skip-

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mike Tobin
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 3:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Cam end play

Putting the lump back together and doing up the front plate.  How is the cam
located front to back?  There's no thrust bearing/washer just the locating
plate which doesn't look like a piece that deals with rotating friction.
I just drive the cam sprocket home, tighten it down and the locating plate
takes care of it? The factory manual just states the ever-informative
"reassembly is a reversal....". It just doesn't feel right - too easy.
Cheers,
Mike Tobin
Pepperell, ma
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Tobin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 08:52:45 -0500

Thanks for the feedback.  The locating plate does show signs on each side
that something was rotating against it.  A slight polishing no real wear.
Wouldn't have suspected the oil pump played a role.  Thought I was pretty
knowledgeable when I started this, but I didn't know all the things I
didn't know.
Mike
On Dec 6, 2013 9:12 PM, "richard mayor" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Mike
> That locating plate is actually the "thrust plate". The camshaft is
> located "front to back" by the oil pump driving spindle that pushes the
> camshaft forward into that thrust plate.  A word of caution. A 100-6 rotor
> style oil pump puts way too much force into that camshaft and into that
> thrust plate. That's why later 100-6 thrust plates had oil grooves machined
> into them.  The 3000 engines used the gear style oil pump and the problems
> went away.
> Richard
>

[email-masked]