Subject: Re: [Healeys] 48 spoke wheels

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 21:38:09 -0800 s=q20121106; t=1387604222; bh=u1c/eFQDlc7SKRp7UqPU+yTW7a96t1j2jK369PFiq2s=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=ed15OXDWNTacQXjEYWo7pQFYrIfuBjdRBRGBp76ptdGLevnH2EZIjuISbSSO3Wb9l U9qqF1hbP/WXZ7tugh9Q560xPW++ZtwpxzeTOJDGdz3OBKDpTJK/t6Ms9/lda8Amnk SqG0ZT8U/z8fCf06l44WmgYg0nelAHcyvNBavXXMnU4EkCO4qJ/dyKIKSyOOaQ6rJu NRnVEaLrZvQvv7usIBY/mHGcm53h9syCxJ/slJFc1hclQEvVPqiCexFbuPmuyT6/ZD nE8CgsDvHFGi7P051MOl5v3pR3nxl+XWotBAXF90AO/hgJ59+WKA+q9i2bJRypbop/ ppbPIVJgE64Jw==

I don't really know about Darin's question, but I would be interested in the
pros and cons of 48 vs. 60 spoke wheels.

Mike
BN2

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Darin Graber" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 9:29 PM
Subject: [Healeys] 48 spoke wheels

> Hello,
>
>    I am looking for the definitive word on the 48 spoke wire wheels on my
> '57
> 100-6.  With the four wheel drum brakes, I have heard that you cannot
> upgrade
> to 60 spoke wheels due to the offset (or lack thereof). Is this true and
> if
> so, am I resigned to keep the 48 spoke wheels?  I like the open look of
> less
> wires, but drive a lot and worry sometimes about strength.  Thanks in
> advance.
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 14:03:55 +0800

If I'm not mistaken, Dayton 60's will fit, the Dunlops won't.

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Darin Graber <[email-masked]> wrote:

> to 60 spoke wheels due to the offset (or lack thereof). Is this true and if
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:20:22 +0000

Allan is correct. The lace pattern is different on Daytons. 72 spoke Dunlops
will also fit I had them on my 100-Six with front drums.

60s are stronger, thats why the factory upgraded. However for normal driving
of a classic car 48s are OK. My first 100-Six had them and I drove it for 8
years without any problems. Lots of miles as well.

Derek

if
>> wires, but drive a lot and worry sometimes about strength.  Thanks in
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Swain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 15:37:12 +0000

I had 72 spoke chrome wires on my '59 BN4 when I bought it and didn't like
their looks - too busy. About 5 years ago I decided to replace them. I
considered 60 spokes but wanted to use Dunlops (now actually MWS) and heard
there would be interference problems unless I fabricated spacers (there were
even very faint marks on the front drums where some of the spokes on the 72
spoke wheels had kissed them). I didn't want the hassle of spacers so went
with 48 spoke chrome from MWS. I have been really pleased with them. They were
true and have stayed that way for the close to 10,000 miles I've put on the
car since I installed them. Anyone familiar with the roads in the Nova Scotia,
PEI and New Brunswick (especially the secondary ones I favour) will tell you
they aren't the smoothest in existence but I've had no problems. I have since
gone with disc brakes on the front of the car so could use 60 spoke wheels but
I'm not likely to change. I too like the open look of the 48 spoke wires.
Rick swain

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 08:34:34 -0800

A long time ago I had the chance to trade my 48s for disk wheels and disk
brakes. I never looked back. No problems with bent spokes or too much
flexing when I drove the car hard along Mulholand Drive and the Santa
Monica mountain canyons. Yes I think wired wheels look better, but disk
wheels are more sound. Guys who race their Healeys have tried for yeas to
trade for my disk wheel, disk break setup.

Ira Erbs
IT Educator and Consultant
Portland, OR.

Sent from my mobile phone. What you get may not be what I typed.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:14:20 +1100

G'day Ira

I have disc wheels on the BN3 and besides being on the car from when it was
at the DHMC I wouldn't swap them for wires. However I wouldn't use standard
disc wheels for competition purposes as they are not strong enough.

The wheel centres are riveted to the rims and it's been found that under the
stresses of hard cornering in racing conditions the rivets pull through the
rims and centres.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of I Erbs
Sent: Monday, 23 December 2013 3:35 AM
To: Rick Swain
Cc: Ahealey help
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 48 spoke wheels

A long time ago I had the chance to trade my 48s for disk wheels and disk
brakes. I never looked back. No problems with bent spokes or too much
flexing when I drove the car hard along Mulholand Drive and the Santa Monica
mountain canyons. Yes I think wired wheels look better, but disk wheels are
more sound. Guys who race their Healeys have tried for yeas to trade for my
disk wheel, disk break setup.

Ira Erbs

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]