Subject: Re: [Healeys] Webers, dellortos

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:10:54 +0000

Simon

The truth is that you really only need Webers for racing or competitionbut so
whatthey look fantasticso why not.

I'm sure Kees will tell you to get Dellortos and he may be right, but Webers
are what everybody goes for.

The most common set up is using 45 DCOE's with 36mm chokes. Mine use the
following

Choke 36mm

Aux venturi  4.5

Main jet 145

air corrector 155

emmulsion tubes f16

Idle jet 55 f6

needle valve 200

pump jet  45

pump spill 40

Most of those came standard with the carbs out of the box, although a couple
of items were changed during the rolling road set up, the idle jet for one.
Setting up on a rolling road is essential but once they are properly set up,
you forget them.
If they are spitting they are not correctly set. (They might spit a bit on
start up when cold)

You will also need to  budget for body work modifications. You have to cut
away the diagonal side brace, contrary to popular myth you do not need to cut
out a piece of the shroud to change jets etc, although it does improve access
to the stacks and whatever filters you put on.

You will have to decide on a set of intake manifolds. You can get them from
the usual suspects. Obviously Welch ones are popular and claim to be virtually
identical to the ones used on the last works rally cars, although slightly
shorter so they don't need to have support towers. AH Spares might be worth a
look as they have been developing their performance parts in conjunction with
Anders Schildt. Or rather its Anders Schildt who has been developing them. The
longer intake manifolds on the works cars were probably the reason for the
shroud cut out, but as mentioned, this is not necessary with most of the
modern versions.

If you are determined to blow all your christmas money you should consider
switching to a cable throttle which is a big improvement. Beware though its a
slippery slope!!!  next come the forged pistons, aluminium head, aluminium
back plate, roller rockers, lightweight fly wheel and alumium pulleyetc..

Actually the DWR deep V pulley is a nice upgrade and not that costly.

Good luck

Derek

On 13 Dec 2013, at 20:28, Simon Lachlan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am thinking about putting 3 webers or dellortos on my 3000.
>
> It has a big bore bunch of bananas exhaust and a Denis Welch fast road cam
> so it's half way there, if you see what I mean.
>
> Now, wise gurus will say "if it ain't  broke, don't fix it" and one already
> has! But these things have a dreadful fascination....a bit like Everest!
>
> So, in any particular order, what does your experience say?.....
>
> Dellortos or Webers?
>
> Which size/type? 45DCOE seems to be the Webers that most people mention or
> sell. (Are they really made our of platinum?)
>
> Are there any 6 cyl cars out there whose inlet manifolds fit ours? ie the
> Datsun 250Z or the (old) BMW 3.0? Certainly, the Datsun people seem to have
> plenty of bits and pieces; if only they'd fit.
>
> What other tips?...
>
> A bit late, but it's amazing how responsive Father Christmas can be.....
>
> Simon
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: jerry wall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 06:11:41 -0600

However, be sure and retain the points.
Cheers,

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Derek Job <[email-masked]> wrote:

> what they look fantastic so why not.
>
> back plate, roller rockers, lightweight fly wheel and alumium pulley etc..
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
jerry wall  BN6
rowlett, tx

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:32:14 -0800

Great post Derek.

I've been reading and compiling anecdotal evidence for years and though I
haven't yet run my car I have a hypothesis that I'd sure like to prove once I
finally get around to running my car.

ewilkins.com/wilko/healeys/healey_webers.jpg

That is very specific info on your carbs.

How is the rest of your engine? Overbored? Compression? Valves? Cam? Exhaust?

I'm still working a few hours a year for the last 15 years on my build.

Bored .030 over.
Schneider 2860 grind cam. (.425 lift, 260 degrees)
stock or works style tubular exhaust.
Australian style Redline short intake manifold like Chris Dimmock's
stock sized valves.
Polished mildly ported head

Are you just racing yours and how does it act around town?

Thanks,
Rick

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:22:39 -0800

That sounds like a lot of fun, and a real racing car. Mine's a BN6 and I'm
building the 3000 engine.

What I'm theorizing is that for all around road use that I will get great
results in the driveability and still maintain good top end performance with
my setup using the 40DCOE  with 32mm chokes instead of the 45s with bigger
chokes. As with the same issue using the 12 port head on the stock 100 Six
engine (2.6 liters) there isn't enough gas velocity to get low speed torque or
horsepower with the bigger carbs and ports. The problem of coughing seemed to
go away with the 3000 (according to Geoffrey Healey and others). Weber
recommends (and many cars like the Alphas, ferrarris and such do quite well
with) a 40DCOE/32 chokes on 500cc chambers as a good benchmark--why should a
Healey need 45/35 for the same chamber? Sure that would be great for top end
breathing, but for normal driving the added velocity of the smaller chokes
should give the progression circuit a much needed boost.

I'm thinking that all (most) of the complaining of the Webers being too much
for the car and you lose street performance with them should go away with the
smaller carb.

Can you tell I really want to have that Weber "mojo" in my car?

I don't yet know what my actual compression ratio will be be as my head was
planed lightly (I don't remember how much) but my chambers were softened
around the sharp edges. I've never CC'd them but do expect a slight rise in
compression.

Other mods that I have that will affect performance are the ProRace balancer,
alloy back plate, Bill Bolton lightened flywheel, Toyota Trans kit, spin-on
oil filter, and Monza exhaust.

On Dec 14, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Derek Job wrote:

> Rick
>
> My car is a 100-Six but it has a BJ8 engine. When I bought the car it
already had a lot of nice goodies on it, including:
> -

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 22:25:56 +0000

I can't see any issue with using the 40DCOE/32 choke set up with the cam that
you have. And you shouldn't need a big compression increase with a 260 degree
cam. Should work well. The progression circuit can be a weak spot as you can
get a slight hesitation that can be difficult to eradicate. The more recent
models have four progression holes instead of three to alleviate this issue.
Mine only have three, I should have got the model with 4, (dumb!), however at
the moment I do not seem to have any progression problems.

Forget to mention that  when I got the car it had NGK 7 series plugs. I found
that these were too cold for just road and hill climbs and tended to oil up a
little. I switched to NGK 6 series and I find the car runs better.

Derek

I think there is a big misconception about Webers

[email-masked]