Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tires and wheels for BN2

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:34:42 +0000

OK I'll bite.

If you are sticking to 48 spokes and the original rim width then 165/70s are
the way to go. They are closest to the originals and will provide a better
driving experience tin the 100 than having the car 'overtyred'.

Derek
On 29 Dec 2013, at 00:36, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yep, our favorite topic (next to oil).
>
> What's the List wisdom/opinion regarding tires and wheels for a BN2/100M?
We'll probably stay with 48-spoke painted wheels; but have a feeling finding
rubber might be a problem.
>
> TIA,
> Bob
>
> --
> *******************************************************************
> Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]
>
> *******************************************************************
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:01:17 -0600

Derek, I think you meant a 165/80, the 70 series being too "short" and 
probably not the way you would want to go with the already limited ground 
clearance with a 100.

But I totally agree that the correct skinny tires provide a better driving 
experience.

As far as actual tire choices in that size, they are fairly limited,  there 
are Nankangs for under $70, 
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sortBy=prca&ar=80&fqs=true&rd=15&sw=false&cs=165

I was surprised to see this option available, I ran these on my 100 and was 
happy with the Firestone F560s for not much more than the Nankangs (and you 
don't have to get over the fact that your Healey has tires that say 
"Nankang" on the sidewall. 
http://www.cokertire.com/firestone-f560-165r15.html

I believe there are also much more expensive options available from antique 
tire specialists as well, believe there is a Vredstein Sprint in a 185/70 
that many are happy with, not sure if they are available in 165/80.  As 
mentioned I would prefer the skinnier tire for a lighter, agile, period feel 
when driving.

I personally don't have a problem putting the lower end tires on my cars, 
they are undoubtedly better than what was put on the cars new, and anybody 
selling tires in the USA knows that if they are substandard or unsafe the 
product liability lawyers will sue the pants off of them.

If you really want a period look I have some Dunlop Gold Seal bias plys that 
are old, but look very nice, have great tread and hold air, would let them 
go very cheap, but I wouldn't use them for highway driving because of the 
age.

Regards, Greg Lemon
1968 TR250 (current)
1954 BN1 (former)

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Derek Job" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:34 AM
To: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "healeylist" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tires and wheels for BN2

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 15:26:19 +0000

Yes I agree, 165/80 would be better. I didn't think they were available.

Derek

experience.
are Nankangs for under $70,
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sortBy=prca&ar=
80&fqs=true&rd=15&sw=false&cs=165
happy with the Firestone F560s for not much more than the Nankangs (and you
don't have to get over the fact that your Healey has tires that say "Nankang"
on the sidewall. http://www.cokertire.com/firestone-f560-165r15.html
> I believe there are also much more expensive options available from antique
tire specialists as well, believe there is a Vredstein Sprint in a 185/70 that
many are happy with, not sure if they are available in 165/80.  As mentioned I
would prefer the skinnier tire for a lighter, agile, period feel when
driving.
> If you really want a period look I have some Dunlop Gold Seal bias plys that
are old, but look very nice, have great tread and hold air, would let them go
very cheap, but I wouldn't use them for highway driving because of the age.

[email-masked]