Subject: [Healeys] Need help with O/D disassembly

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 17:34:41 -0500

Hello, Healeyphiles -
 
I'm trying to get the O/D sliding clutch out to examine the condition of the
friction linings, which I suspect are worn since I've experienced overdrive
slipping under acceleration.  I'm actually disassembling a spare BJ7 O/D
before trying to tackle the one in my BJ8.
 
Page G.8 of the workshop manual says:
 
"Remove the six 5/16 in. (7.9 mm) nuts securing the two halves of the casing
and separate them, removing the brake ring which is spigoted into the two
pieces."  So far, so good.  Next:
"Lift out the planet carrier assembly."  Not so good.  The planet carrier
assembly is under the sliding clutch, which is under the clutch thrust ring.
Whether it was necessary or not, I removed the "small circlip" (#8 in the
exploded view of Figure G.7), but it didn't allow anything to come out of
the casing.
 
After "Lift out the planet carrier assembly," the manual goes on to say:
"Remove the clutch sliding member complete with the thrust ring and bearing,
the sun wheel and thrust washers."
 
Given the order that the parts appear to be loaded into the casing, the
above statement makes no sense to me.  In any event, I can't get the clutch
thrust ring out.  Can anyone who has experience with dissembling an
overdrive provide any advice?
 
Thanks, and a Happy Healey New Year to all!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys