Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey 100-6 rear end

From: Rick Swain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 18:37:26 +0000

The 100-6 rear end is a 4.11 while the 3000 is a 3.9. The overdrive ratios are
28% for the 100-6 vs 22% for the 3000. I changed my 100-6 rear end for a 3000
and was pleased with the result. While not quite like putting a Lempert 3.54
rear end in a 3000, I do have easier cruising at highway speeds and better
fuel economy. In addition, my speedometer, which used to be wildly optimistic,
is now closer to being accurate.
Rick Swain

> Hello to the forum,
>
>     I have multiple projects going on at once with my AH restoration so I
> apologize for the multiple postings on multiple topics as of late.
>     Currently there is over 1/2 inch play in the diff on my '57 100-6.
There
> is a loud clunk when shifting gears, and at highway speed, it whines quite
> loudly.  I have not opened it up yet to know what's going on, but I don't
> think it can be good.  If adjustments are out and gears are worn, replacing
> gears will be expensive I think.  I have also heard someone else talking on
> this forum about loud rear ends with lots of play in 100-6's, but don't
> remember what his responses were.
>     Several questions - how bad can this be inside, and can you put the
diff
> from the 3000 (o/d) into a 100-6 (o/d)?  Are there advantages to the
different
> ratios?  A straight swap might be less expensive and easier than a rebuild
of
> the current one.  Again I haven't taken it apart yet so all of this is
> preliminary.  Thanks in advance for your vast knowledge...
>
> Darin
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 02:19:52 +0000

Darin,

To answer one of your questions....yes, you can put a 3000 differential into a
100-6 rear end.  The rear ends from the BN2 all the way through BJ8 are the
same housing. The only difference in the diffs are the number of teeth on the
ring and pinion.

Richard

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 11:19:47 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Healeys] Healey 100-6 rear end
>
> Hello to the forum,
>
There
diff
different
of
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]