Subject: Re: [Healeys] Which Webers are you using?

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:13:17 +1000

Hi Simon
I am running 45DCOE 152's on my BT7 and after trying Redline, Webcon & DW
manifolds settled on the DW ones. The reason I went for them was because of
availability at the time and due to someone's error, I got them at a good
price new. Tuning was a pain and after wasting $$$$$ on experts I found a
dyno operator who knew what he was doing. He had to drill the 4th
progression hole which made all the difference. Everyone else was masking
the flat spot with extra fuel with disastrous results in economy. For racing
I don't think you would worry about drilling the holes as you would be
running above that rev range
On a run to a southern rally a couple of years ago we got 24mpg (imperial
gallons) matching a stock BJ7 (both running 3.54 diff ratio).
I absolutely love them after the HD6 (thermo choke ones) and the HS8's I
tried (especially the sound)
Regards
John Rowe
Qld Australia
BN1 BT7

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Simon Lachlan
Sent: Wednesday, 18 December 2013 6:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Which Webers are you using?

Well, the Webers debate seems to have died down and thank you all for your
help and interest.

One last thing...I have become increasingly aware of the variety of types of
Webers, even within one size. (It's mostly to do with the progression holes.
Mostly)

So, leaving aside Dellortos and DCOE 40s for the moment (only for the
moment), what type of 45s are you using?

There are a couple of favourites, but I'd like to hear what you've got ie
what you thought was best at the time.

And, yes, we'll all accept that everyone's engines are different, but not
THAT different. None of them became high revving twin cams for example. (Or
did they?)

Simon
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:01:51 +0000

Interesting comment about masking the flat spot with fuel.

What exactly did the guy do to achieve that masking? Was it running very rich
and were their any other negative side affects. I only have 3 holes on mine
and no noticeable flat spot but my fuel consumption is nowhere near 24mph. I
wasn't at the rolling road when mine was set up as I couldn't make it at the
time. Some operators might not even bother looking for any flat spot and just
go straight to how it performs higher up the range.

I plan to have my set up re-checked prior to next season and this time I'll be
there. Do yours have screw access to the progression circuit or did he have to
remove the brass caps and fe-fit new ones.

Derek
On 18 Dec 2013, at 23:13, John Rowe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:08:20 +1100

Hi Derek,
Usual strategy is you run an idle one size larger. Usually.
It's an experiment based on numerous, inter related variables.
I have webers with 2 drillings (45DCOE 13)
Depending on the exact model, You can end up with 2 - 5.  Different locations,
different sizes.
Oh. And for all those with SU's, contrary to popular opinion, you don't need
to adjust webers once they are set.....
;-)
Best.
Chris
PS. Probably Less adjustment on Webers than SU's
SU's are far more maintenance than  Lucas Points...

Sent from my iPhone

> On 19 Dec 2013, at 8:01 pm, Derek Job <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Eric Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:20:33 -0800

While researching the flat spot issue in progression circuits I stumbled upon
a car forum where extra drilling was explained.

There were many who erroneously used the throttle stop to set idle speed just
like many do with S.U.s. The progression can't work right as the bypass
circuit messes with the mixture and the holes behind the plate start on too
early.

These guys went as far as cutting different bevels on the plate edge to change
how that first hole would react and some even drilling hole is  the plate. All
of these mods were for street driving. as transition from idle to driving, and
mid range power can be tricky to tune for speeds where the carb is using
progression circuits until the main venturi kicks in

[email-masked]