Subject: [Healeys] 100 heater core

From: Bert Van Brande <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:45:50 -0800 (PST)

I have a spare but broken smiths heater core for the 100,  since these are
becoming rare I am contemplating restoring and re-selling it (on ebay)
The
reproduction now available from Moss is hideous and cost $500.

The problem is
a blockage and leak in the last round element,  the element seems to have
burst so the "serpentine" fins are loose too in this area.   I assume this
could be boiled out or dipped in acid to remove rust and crud and the element
can probably be soldered shut.  No big risk in trying repairing myself or
going to a radiator shop.  

Does anybody have experience in restoring a
heater core and willing to share some tips?

thanks

Bert
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 15:42:24 -0500 (EST)

Bert
I always fine it interesting when very similar parts have a significant
difference in price.  The AH100 and TR3 heater core are virtually the same
except for the metal connection tubes. I'm not picking on suppliers but as a
sample Moss list price on the TR3 is $390 and the AH 100 is $490. 25% more to
make the tubes straight instead of curved. Used heater cores come up on ebay
fairly often.  Once they are damaged they can be a fun job to repair.  I have
a TR3 core in my BN2 withe the straight tubes soldered in.
Aloha
Perry

-----Original Message-----
From: Bert Van Brande <[email-masked]>
To: List Healey <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Dec 13, 2013 3:03 pm
Subject: [Healeys] 100 heater core

I have a spare but broken smiths heater core for the 100,  since these are
ecoming rare I am contemplating restoring and re-selling it (on ebay)
he
eproduction now available from Moss is hideous and cost $500.
The problem is
 blockage and leak in the last round element,  the element seems to have
urst so the "serpentine" fins are loose too in this area.   I assume this
ould be boiled out or dipped in acid to remove rust and crud and the element
an probably be soldered shut.  No big risk in trying repairing myself or
oing to a radiator shop.

oes anybody have experience in restoring a
eater core and willing to share some tips?
thanks
Bert
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]