Subject: Re: [Healeys] Need help with O/D disassembly

From: john spaur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 14:52:53 -0800

I believe you need to remove the flange nut so the sun wheel assemble 
can be freed. I can't remember for sure although I had mine apart last summer.

John

At 05:34 PM 12/31/2013 -0500, BJ8 Healeys wrote:
>Hello, Healeyphiles -
>
>I'm trying to get the O/D sliding clutch out to examine the condition of the
>friction linings, which I suspect are worn since I've experienced overdrive
>slipping under acceleration.  I'm actually disassembling a spare BJ7 O/D
>before trying to tackle the one in my BJ8.
>
>Page G.8 of the workshop manual says:
>
>"Remove the six 5/16 in. (7.9 mm) nuts securing the two halves of the casing
>and separate them, removing the brake ring which is spigoted into the two
>pieces."  So far, so good.  Next:
>"Lift out the planet carrier assembly."  Not so good.  The planet carrier
>assembly is under the sliding clutch, which is under the clutch thrust ring.
>Whether it was necessary or not, I removed the "small circlip" (#8 in the
>exploded view of Figure G.7), but it didn't allow anything to come out of
>the casing.
>
>After "Lift out the planet carrier assembly," the manual goes on to say:
>"Remove the clutch sliding member complete with the thrust ring and bearing,
>the sun wheel and thrust washers."
>
>Given the order that the parts appear to be loaded into the casing, the
>above statement makes no sense to me.  In any event, I can't get the clutch
>thrust ring out.  Can anyone who has experience with dissembling an
>overdrive provide any advice?
>
>Thanks, and a Happy Healey New Year to all!
>Steve Byers
>HBJ8L/36666
>BJ8 Registry
>Havelock, NC
>_______________________________________________
>Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
>[email-masked]
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:33:18 -0500

Did you look at the dismantling and repair manuals on the Technical page, OD
section of my site? The are for  Triumph but same OD unit as we use.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of BJ8 Healeys
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Need help with O/D disassembly

Hello, Healeyphiles -

 

 
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:40:45 -0500

Hi Steve,
I think I understand where you have encountered problems.
As I understand it you have the main casing separated from the rear casing
and the brake ring has been removed or is still in the main casing and
clear of the rear casing.
At that point a couple of raps on the bearing housing from which the 8 long
pins (which guide the main springs) and the 4 long studs (upon which the
bridge pieces mount) protrude should be sufficient to release the cone
clutch member from the annulus.
Once the cone clutch is released it easily lifts out revealing the planet
carrier which just lifts out of the annulus.
It is wise to do all this with the entire assembly clamped vertically in a
vice by the drive shaft flange.
If this unit has been hanging around for a while my guess is that the inner
clutch lining is stuck to the clutch surface of the annulus, The lining
material tends to absorb moisture which makes the clutch surface "rust" and
adhere to the lining.
As they say in Aussie "Bigger hammer mate".

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:34 PM, BJ8 Healeys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
All wisdom is plagiarism; only stupidity is original.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:51:24 -0800

Michael:  Or, as they say in my neck of the woods, "Don't use force, use a 
bigger hammer".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Michael Salter" <[email-masked]>
To: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Need help with O/D disassembly

[email-masked]

---

From: Charlie Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:10:09 -0500

Steve,

My understanding is that the cone clutch comes into play when going into 
overdrive, then the unidirectional clutch takes over and will not allow 
it to slip.
When I took my overdrive apart, there was no unidirectional clutch, just 
a lot of very fine metal particles an metal paste in all of the corners 
and out of the way places inside the overdrive and transmission.  So the 
cone clutch was the only thing there to transmit the power.  In that 
case it could be expected to slip.

By the way, from "How to Fix Your Foreign Car, a guide for the beginner, 
your wife, and the mechanically inept" by Dick O'Kane - "Nolite Id 
Cogere, Cape Malleum Majorem' or Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Charlie

On 12/31/2013 5:34 PM, BJ8 Healeys wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: David Nock British Car Specialists <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:47:17 -0800

Did you by any chance take a pressure reading prior to disassembly. You
probably will not see any problem with the clutch. They rarely cause a
problem. Mostar likely you had low pressure. The other thing that can cause
the same symptom is the clutch slave hose collapses on the inside and will act
like a slipping clutch.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
Stockton Ca 95205
209-948-8767

www.britishcarspecialists.com

Please feel free to view an interview with the Nock's in 2009
	Enjoy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTTRYkbQzs
.
.

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 31, 2013, at 4:10 PM, Charlie Baldwin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Steve,
>
overdrive, then the unidirectional clutch takes over and will not allow it to
slip.
> When I took my overdrive apart, there was no unidirectional clutch, just a
lot of very fine metal particles an metal paste in all of the corners and out
of the way places inside the overdrive and transmission.  So the cone clutch
was the only thing there to transmit the power.  In that case it could be
expected to slip.
> By the way, from "How to Fix Your Foreign Car, a guide for the beginner,
your wife, and the mechanically inept" by Dick O'Kane - "Nolite Id Cogere,
Cape Malleum Majorem' or Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
>>  Thanks, and a Happy Healey New Year to all!
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]