Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fog-Driving Light Wiring

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 14:42:38 -0800

Depending on where you are, there will laws that dictate how they must be
wired. Here in CA if they are spots they can only come on with the low beams,
etc.

On Dec 28, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Price Lindsay wrote:

> Thank you for those who responded to my query.
>
> Fascinating the different approaches to this installation I received.  Some
> run both lights together, some run each individually, some run the lights
with
> high beams, some run the lights with low beams and some run the lights
> independently of the head lights.
>
> A lot of information to contemplate. Again thank you.
>
> Price Lindsay
> 67 BJ8
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "BJ8 Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:18:28 -0500

I guess there must be a good reason for such a law, but it makes no sense to
me.  "Spots" may be a different description of lights from what is typically
used as driving lights on Healeys, I don't know.  
When I am driving on a dark, lonely road at night, I want the maximum amount
of light ahead of me as I can get.  Too many people are hitting deer, bears,
and possums that appear out of nowhere.  Therefore, I want the driving
lights to be on with the high beams.  If a car appears around the next bend
and I hit the dimmer switch, the headlights go to low beams and the driving
lights go out.  The main problem I have noted with this arrangement is that
there is so much traffic now at all hours that I can't really keep the high
beams on for more than a few seconds, so high beams have become useless.

I've noticed that I'm blinded anyway by those monster pickup trucks on low
beams that have 4 square feet of headlight surface, plus running lights in
the bumpers, just about in line with my eyeballs when I'm in the Healey.

I wired my driving lights with a switch with a manual position for daytime
use and an auto position to operate with the low beams.  OFF is in the
center of the switch. 

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Wilko2

Depending on where you are, there will laws that dictate how they must be
wired. Here in CA if they are spots they can only come on with the low
beams, etc.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Trifari" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 15:22:33 -0800

I think common sense would dictate that if the lights are foggers they
should come on with the low means. If they are driving lights they should
come on with the high beams--otherwise why bother installing these lights at
all.  Run the lights through the dip switch > relay >lamps.  Run the relay
ground through a dash switch.  John Trifari  Golden Gate AHC 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Wilko2
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 2:43 PM
To: Price Lindsay
Cc: Healey List Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fog-Driving Light Wiring

On Dec 28, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Price Lindsay wrote:

> Fascinating the different approaches to this installation I received.  
> Some run both lights together, some run each individually, some run 
> the lights
with
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual 
> donation  $12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Carr&Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:25:58 -0500

That is the way the auxiliary lights on our MGB/GT are designed to work. 
The pair of lights is controlled by a single rocker switch.  When the switch 
is in the "on" position, the fog light is on if the low beams are on; if you 
turn on the high beams, the fog light goes out and the driving light comes 
on.  (At least that's what the owner's handbook says--we don't have the 
extra lights installed.  Wonder what British engineer thought up this 
arrangement ???)  And, of course, the way you actually use them depends on 
your state law....

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Trifari" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Wilko2'" <[email-masked]>; "'Price Lindsay'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Healey List Healey List'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fog-Driving Light Wiring

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 00:32:41 +0100

AFAIK in many European countries spotlights may only be able to switch 
on with high beam headlights on and should switch off automatically when 
the lights are dipped.
Fog lights and dipped lights together are allowed but the use of fog 
lights (front and rear) is only allowed with bad visibility, less than 
50m. In earlier days fog lights should have been switched in such a way 
that either dipped lights or fog lights were on, when the fog lights are 
switched on the dipped lights should be switched of automatically and v.v.
Fog lights may however be used in combination with high beam, this will 
give you a wide light field from the fog lights and a long range light 
field from the high beam (and the spot lights if they are also switched 
on), however any additional lighting for high beam is strictly speaking 
not legal.

Whatever the situation the town lights should always be on with any kind 
of lights on, apart from daytime running lights.
Daytime running lights should switch of automatically when town lights, 
dipped or high beam are switched on.
Rear lights should always be on together with the town lights and thus 
also with high beam and dipped lights.

A happy new year to you all.
Kees Oudesluijs

Wilko2 schreef op 28-12-2013 23:42:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4259 / Virusdatabase: 3658/6952 - datum van uitgifte: 12/26/13

[email-masked]