Subject: [Healeys] Starter Problem - Conclusion With a little philosophy

From: Mike Tobin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:55:59 -0500

When I asked the question I pretty much knew my options, but wanted to get
the benefit of this group's experience and make sure I wasn't missing
anything.  I figure getting it rebuilt  would cost about what reduction
starter would cost and I didn't know about re-wrapping the coils (had never
done that).  Then responses starting coming (never figured so many on such
a mundane subject) and the solution become more philosophical than the
standard cost/schedule/performance (pick two) technical decision.

My first goal for the project was to build the Healey I could have had back
in early '70s (when it was our every-day car) if I'd had the money, time
and access to resources I have now.  This means headers, bigger tires and
wheels, a spin-on oil filter and none of those stupid wire hose clamps.  It
also means no 5 speed.
Second, I want to be able say I've done everything myself except for the
machine work.  This means I'll fix anything myself rather pay to have it
done unless there are tools involved I can't afford.

Third, I don't want to end up with "George Washington's hatchet" (yeah,
it's the original hatchet used to chop down the cherry tree. Only the head
and handle have been replaced).  This means I'd prefer to rebuild a
component rather than replace it and functional, but visibly worn parts get
cleaned but not replaced.  The long block now looks brand new except for
the battered Austin and valve clearance plates.and the mushroomed knokoffs
will stay.
And fourth - It has to "look right" and "sound right".   This means the
clicking of the SU fuel pump stays.  Entirely subjective and YMMV as to
"right".

I was leaning toward the reduction starter. (meets rule one maybe but not
two or three).  Then Bob Haskell says BCS has the wrappiing stuff so I
think can rebuild it myself (see rules two and three).  Then Tom Willig
says some folks don't think it sounds right (rule 4) which could be a big
deal for me. With another reason to rebuild and I start cleaning out the
ton of brush dust. Then the rebuild kit for the the 3 HS4s arrives in the
mail and I think - I'd really rather spend my time doing fun work like
rebuilding carbs than cleaning out that filthy starter.  Screw it.  I'll
just throw some money at a new starter and get to work on the SUs.
I'dkeep the old one anyway and I can rebuild it if the new one's sound
offends
me.

Having re-read what I've just written I realize I'm thinking waaaay to hard
about this.
Cheers,
Mike Tobin

Pepperell, MA
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys