Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 100/4 Drain plug size and thread

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 07:01:04 -0500

Steve--

I don't know the answer to your question but can propose another and
perhaps less expensive solution: I epoxied a powerful rare earth magnet
onto the inside face of the drainplug.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 6:39 AM, STEPHEN CUSS
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Hi I asked this question a few weeks ago but only got a partial answer, can
> anyone help me with the size of the plug and the thread type, as i am
> trying
> to order a magnatic drain plug for my BN1 and need to know the thread type
> and
> size, the car is original with original sump.
>
> Thanks in advance for your
> help with this matter
>
> Steve
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 07:54:17 -0500

This works for me: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RX4C2
I just put it on the outside of the drain plug.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Michael Oritt
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 7:01 AM
To: STEPHEN CUSS
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 100/4 Drain plug size and thread

Steve--

I don't know the answer to your question but can propose another and perhaps
less expensive solution: I epoxied a powerful rare earth magnet onto the
inside face of the drainplug.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 6:39 AM, STEPHEN CUSS
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Hi I asked this question a few weeks ago but only got a partial 
> answer, can anyone help me with the size of the plug and the thread 
> type, as i am trying to order a magnatic drain plug for my BN1 and 
> need to know the thread type and size, the car is original with 
> original sump.
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 09:30:15 -0500

Stephen,

The drain plug for the 100 is the same one used on the 100-6 and 3000. 
Factory part number 2H4685; moss part number 328-460.  On the one I took 
out of an old pan, the threads were 3/4"-14.  The hex head was 5/8 
Whitworth.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 01/06/2014 06:39 AM, STEPHEN CUSS wrote:
> anyone help me with the size of the plug and the thread type, as i am trying
> to order a magnatic drain plug for my BN1 and need to know the thread type and
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Neil Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 08:53:27 -0600

Looks like the Moss number is 328-461 for the magnetic drain plug, listed
under "Engine Accessories".

Neil Anderson
BT7

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Bob Haskell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 12:34:09 -0800

Steven,

The wrench size is 9/16" W (Whitworth) which is also a listed as a 5/8" BSF
(British Standard Fine).  A far as the threads go, they should be a
Whitworth Thread Form, possibly either BSF (British Standard Fine) or BSP
(British Standard Pipe).

At the moment I cannot access the treads to get a thread gauge on them to
measure the tpi.

However you're not going to find this size nut at any hardware store, it's
a special fastener and you'll have to find a used one, or have one cu$tom
machined, unless of course one of the AH suppliers has them.

Cheers,

Curt

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM, STEPHEN CUSS
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 13:10:22 -0800

Stephen,

BTW a 5/8" BSF fastener has 14 tpi, but DO NOT under any circumstances use
an an American equivalent even if it will fit as, the pitch angle on
Whitworth fasteners is 55 degrees and it's 60 degrees on UNF /American
fasteners.

This is a common mistake often found on the generator front plate bolts of
100s and Bugeye Sprites.  This bolt that attaches the adjusting link to the
generator front plate is one of the few BSW  (coarse thread) bolts found on
our cars and as such it's 5/16" X 18 tpi which just so happens to
correspond to the 5/16" UNC, ANC, NC, or SAE coarse fasteners available
that also have 18 tpi.  Again the problem arises that BSW fastener has a 55
degree thread pitch and UNC etc... fasteners all have 60 degree thread
pitch angles.

Cheers,

Curt

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Steven,
>
> The wrench size is 9/16" W (Whitworth) which is also a listed as a 5/8"
> BSF (British Standard Fine).  A far as the threads go, they should be a
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM, STEPHEN CUSS <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 16:42:10 -0500

Curt,

According to the article on Wikipedia, during world war II the hex heads 
of the BSF and BSW fasteners became the same size.  The BSW were 
originally larger than the BSF; became the same size as the BSF.  So 
depending on when the wrench/socket was produced, markings may vary.

The standard TPI for 3/4 BSF is 12, not 14.

Andrew,

3/4" BSP (british standard pipe) has a major ID of 1.041"; not 3/4".  So 
it's too large. http://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/bsp.html

I may just have to order one from Moss to see if it matches the one I 
measured. :)

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar

[email-masked]