Subject: Re: [Healeys] Question

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 05:58:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi Steve,

Here's a quote from the restoration of NOJ 393, the LeMans crash
car:  

The original wood rim duralium steering wheel has been carefully
refurbished ensuring its patina was retained. 
http://classiccarmag.net/austin-healey-special-test-car-and-100s/  and Mike
Lempert's history of the Healey wood wheel: 
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/100s

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
________________________________
 From: BJ8Healeys <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked] 
Sent: Saturday, January 4, 2014 8:28 AM
Subject:
[Healeys] Question

Hello, Healeyphiles -

I received an inquiry from
Esquire Magazine with a question I can't answer.
I've never been much into the
racing part of the Healey world, but some of
you might be able to help.  The
issue is:

"I am trying to confirm if the Austin-Healey or Nash-Healey
automobiles that
competed in Le Mans in the mid-20th century had wooden
steering wheels like
some of the other racing cars of that time did."
Anecdotal responses are welcome, but it would be nice if some reference
could
be provided to support "yes" or "no".

Thanks!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
_______________________________________________
Archive:
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 08:50:07 +1100

G'day Steve

Interesting question!

The answer is no and yes. Looking at colour photos of Le Mans 1953 with two
Nash Healeys and three Austin-Healeys (NOJ 391, NOJ 392 and NOJ 393) the
answer is no, as both marques appear to be running standard black steering
wheels (see P26 & p27 of Austin-Healey by Bill Piggott ISBN 185960 8507).
However looking at a start line photo of two Nash-Healeys and two
Austin-Healeys on P26 the steering wheel of the Nash-Healey (No 10) furthest
away from the camera does have a brown look about it while the other is
definitely black.

Then when NOJ 393 ran in the ill-feted 1955 Le Mans event it did have a
wooden steering wheel.

If you don't have the book I am happy to scan the photos and send them to
you.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of BJ8Healeys
Sent: Sunday, 5 January 2014 12:29 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Question

Hello, Healeyphiles -

I received an inquiry from Esquire Magazine with a question I can't answer.
I've never been much into the racing part of the Healey world, but some of
you might be able to help.  The issue is:

"I am trying to confirm if the Austin-Healey or Nash-Healey automobiles that
competed in Le Mans in the mid-20th century had wooden steering wheels like
some of the other racing cars of that time did."

Anecdotal responses are welcome, but it would be nice if some reference
could be provided to support "yes" or "no".

Thanks!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

[email-masked]