Subject: [Healeys] Removing cam in situ

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 06:44:09 -0700

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.  As I suspected, it's a major task.

I asked because when I was recently adjusting the valves I noticed a couple of the pushrods didn't appear to be lifting 
as much as the others, probably indicating flattened cam lobes.   I don't know what could have caused this, because I 
have always fed good, clean 20W-50 oil to this engine (it has about 100K since rebuild).  It's possible it's been this 
way since rebuild, as I always had lower compression on a couple cylinders (why a reputable cam grinder would screw up a 
re-grind is unknowable, but possible I suppose).

I just had the front pulley and timing cover off to replace the cover seal, and had the radiator in and out 3 times due 
to water pump issues, so when I get to the cam I'm likely to pull the engine and do an overhaul.   The big nut on the 
crank is the issue; I bought a 3/4" impact wrench and socket to get it off, but there's insufficient room to get the 
wrench on the nut due to the front X brace.  I ended up ruining the nut and a new one was $40 from Moss. The new nut was 
good quality, but the original had a conical section machined away to clear the Woodruff key, and the new one did not 
but seems to be OK.

Bob

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys