Subject: Re: [Healeys] How could this be?

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 11:21:33 -0700

I can think of a couple of ways. Too thick an oil won't flow through the
little passages in the head and could starve the cams and lifters.
On a longer term basis the wrong quality oil can easily destroy an engine. Use
SA oil in an engine that requires SM oil your engine won't be happy.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:41, I Erbs <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Was ready complaints about JiffyLube and came across this complaint. How
> could the "wrong" oil destroy an engine?
>
> [2102] *April in Hurst, TX  Wrong Oil Destroys Engine*
> My wife recently took her Dodge Charger to Jiffy Lube in Hurst TX for an
> oil change.  The oil was changed and my wife went on her way.  Later in the
> day she double checked her receipt and noted the wrong oil was indicated.
> She took the car back immediately and Jiffy Lube admitted it was the wrong
> oil and agreed to change it.  Immediately upon start up by the tech
> performing the oil change, the engine sounded horrible and wouldn't
> continue to idle.  My wife called me and I went to the shop.  I asked them
> to leave the car alone and not try further to get it to run.  I didn't need
> to hear it.  The manager and I went to the office to discuss next steps.
> During our discussion I hear them out in the shop trying to start the
> engine again.  To make a long story short, the car was towed to the dealer
> and disassembled.  It's going to cost 10k to replace it (it's destroyed)
> and Jiffy Lubes insurance company Zurich is denying any claim for damages.
> Ira Erbs
> IT Teacher
> and Consultant
> Portland, OR
>
> bMoney may not buy happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Jaguar than on a
> bus.b
> b FranC'oise Sagan
> <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1357577.Fran_oise_Sagan>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 13:35:06 -0500

"Later in the day she double checked her receipt and noted the wrong oil was 
indicated."

truly incredible story, the wife a) looked at the receipt from the shop, and 
b) knew the wrong oil had been used?

Sorry couldn't help it, and my wife is a wonderful gal who helps me bleed 
brakes and such, but I am quite sure she has no clue as to what the correct 
oil is for her Honda.

Can't imagine how "the wrong motor oil" could ruin an engine in such a short 
time, it might increase wear over time, only possible theory I can think of 
that might make it true (I still don't think it is), modern engines are 
designed to run on very thin oil, as thin as 0w-20, could a heavyweight oil 
such as a 20w-50 be so thick as to not penetrate or flow into some of the 
tight clearances, resulting in oil starvation?

Greg Lemon

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:38:25 -0400

I think I would like to hear the other side of that story!!!
Michael S
BN1 #174

-----Original Message-----
From: "I Erbs" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b7/b5/b2014 1:41 PM
To: "Ahealey help" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] How could this be?

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 11:56:27 -0700

Seemed far fetched to me that an engine could be ruined so quickly too.
That's why I asked....

I Erbs
IT Educator and Consultant
sent from smartphone, so what you read, may not be what I meant to send.
On Jul 5, 2014 11:35 AM, "Greg Lemon" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> "Later in the day she double checked her receipt and noted the wrong oil
> was indicated."
>
> truly incredible story, the wife a) looked at the receipt from the shop,
> and b) knew the wrong oil had been used?
>
> Can't imagine how "the wrong motor oil" could ruin an engine in such a
> short time, it might increase wear over time, only possible theory I can
> think of that might make it true (I still don't think it is), modern
> engines are designed to run on very thin oil, as thin as 0w-20, could a
> heavyweight oil such as a 20w-50 be so thick as to not penetrate or flow
> into some of the tight clearances, resulting in oil starvation?
>
> Greg Lemon

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 15:56:57 -0400

I don't know -- googled Jiffy Lube Complaints and found hundreds of them.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: "I Erbs" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b
7/b
5/b
2014 1:41 PM

[2102] *April in Hurst, TX  Wrong Oil Destroys Engine* My wife recently took
her Dodge Charger to Jiffy Lube in Hurst TX for an oil change.  The oil was
changed and my wife went on her way.  Later in the day she double checked
her receipt and noted the wrong oil was indicated.
She took the car back immediately and Jiffy Lube admitted it was the wrong
oil and agreed to change it.  Immediately upon start up by the tech
performing the oil change, the engine sounded horrible and wouldn't continue
to idle.  My wife called me and I went to the shop.  I asked them to leave
the car alone and not try further to get it to run.  I didn't need to hear
it.  The manager and I went to the office to discuss next steps.
During our discussion I hear them out in the shop trying to start the engine
again.  To make a long story short, the car was towed to the dealer and
disassembled.  It's going to cost 10k to replace it (it's destroyed) and
Jiffy Lubes insurance company Zurich is denying any claim for damages.
Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR

bus.b b FranC'oise Sagan

[email-masked]

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: 1 2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 12:58:58 -0700

Would 90wt rear end oil do that?

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM, I Erbs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Kimo Briske <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 11:27:24 -1000

Could they have put transmission fluid in the engine ?

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM, 1 2 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 07:54:11 +1000

G'day

Helps you bleed brakes??????

A woman who knows how the bleeding of brakes works? Never met one! Something
to do with the up and down action!

My wife is my best friend, but I always need to call a bloke to hep me.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg
Lemon
Sent: Sunday, 6 July 2014 4:35 AM
To: I Erbs; Ahealey help
Subject: Re: [Healeys] How could this be?

Greg Lemon
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]