Subject: [Healeys] 1959 100-6

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:50:42 -0500

Greetings,

My name is Chris from Muscatine Iowa--I bought my first Healey last summer--a
beautiful 100-6, english old white with red coves and red interior with a
non-original rebuilt engine.   Car is in good shape but was running poorly in
2013.  Found out the distributer and generator were bad, and there was some
misalignment of the engine crank with the transmission.   That was all fixed
this winter and the car was running good this spring, except for an occasional
spit.

It quit on me last month, and was backfiring and wouldn't run.  My trusty
mechanic checked the compression which was low, and barely within normal
limits.   He did a leak-down test, and two or three cylinders are very poor.
There is some black smoke on start-up.   It appears that this rebuilt engine
from the previous owner is wore out.

I have the original engine which has a thrown rod.   We are looking at
overhauling the original motor and having the car be complete numbers
matching.  I will have a core motor for sale shortly, including the crank,
etc, if anyone is interested.

I am frustrated that I have to go through an overhaul, but will be excited to
have the car run like it was designed.  Transmission and overdrive are in
excellent shape, so that is good news.   Any advice is welcome.  I feel the
car is worth more with the original engine.   We are not cutting any corners
in the overhaul, since the rest of the car is in such good shape, we want
everything as close to perfect as possible.  Thanks.

Chris Scholz
563-260-5067
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys