Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel gauge

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 10:34:27 +0200

Are you sure the gauge is at fault? Did you try with a power supply from 
0V-.. and got any response? If it did show some response look elsewhere 
for the fault.
You could try to buy (e.g. ebay.co.uk) a Smiths or Jaeger UK gauge of 
the same type but with a corroded/damaged/incorrect for the Healey face 
and transplant your existing gauge face to the one acquired. They are 
very simple to dismantle and put together again. Leave the internals 
undisturbed, just remove the bezel by slightly lifting the tabs and then 
turning the bezel until the tabs line up with the slots in the body and 
the bezel and glass will lift of, then remove the dial face taking great 
care not to bend the needle.
I may perhaps have an old gauge that might be of use. You can have it 
for the shipping costs. If you send me some pictures of the gauge (face, 
rear of body, internals if possible) and especially the number on the 
dial I can have a look in my famous boxes of old junk.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

I Erbs schreef op 6-7-2014 7:37:
> Any idea on what it would cost to get a fuel gauge rebuilt? I have an offer
> of one nearby, but we are unsure of its value
>
> I Erbs
> IT Educator and Consultant
> sent from smartphone, so what you read, may not be what I meant to send.
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7803 - datum van uitgifte: 07/05/14
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 08:49:48 -0700

I borrowed a known good unit from a friend and it worked, It showed that I
had less than a 1/2 tank of gas. My gauge looks great, but does not
function.
Thanks.
Just trying to see if $150.00 is a fair price for a rebuilt unit.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 0V-.. and got any response? If it did show some response look elsewhere for
> the fault.
> You could try to buy (e.g. ebay.co.uk) a Smiths or Jaeger UK gauge of the
> same type but with a corroded/damaged/incorrect for the Healey face and
> transplant your existing gauge face to the one acquired. They are very
> simple to dismantle and put together again. Leave the internals
> turning the bezel until the tabs line up with the slots in the body and the
> bezel and glass will lift of, then remove the dial face taking great care
> not to bend the needle.
> I may perhaps have an old gauge that might be of use. You can have it for
> the shipping costs. If you send me some pictures of the gauge (face, rear
> of body, internals if possible) and especially the number on the dial I can
> have a look in my famous boxes of old junk.
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 11:55:02 -0400

Moss will do it for $734.95....GULP!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: "I Erbs" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b7/b6/b2014 1:38 AM
To: "Ahealey help" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] Fuel gauge

I Erbs

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Jean Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 15:55:39 +0000

I think $150.00 is a fair price for a rebuilt unit, especially if you are on a
drive 40 miles from a gas station on a secondary road with nighttime coming
and you run out of gas. At that time I would venture to say, you'd think it
was mighty inexpensive............

Jean

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 08:49:48 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel gauge
>
for
> > turning the bezel until the tabs line up with the slots in the body and
the
> >> options/healeys/[email-masked]
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> -----
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/vintage_roadster_restoration@ho
tmail.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 09:52:10 -0700

Rebuilding the gauge will not necessarily improve the accuracy. The accuracy
is tuned by adjusting the coils. However, after years of use and adjusting I
suspect the coils become out of plumb vertically. That makes it difficult to
align the coil magnets with the armature.

That's my theory. Anyone agree or have other thoughts?

John Spaur
San Jose, CA
'62 BT7

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 16:56:03 +0000 (UTC)

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 16:59:26 +0000 (UTC)

[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 09:59:34 -0700

It's not always the fuel gauge, the sending unit in the fuel tank is
typically the culprit.  Roger Moment was rebuilding these for a while, but
I'm certain there are others out there providing this service.

Cheers,

Curt

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM, john <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 10:11:21 -0700

West Valley Instruments (the founder was a partner at MOMA for a long time I
believe) rebuilt my gauge and supplied an original rebuilt sender that were
calibrated together. The calibration was way off. I took it out and did some
calibration work myself. It tends to read full and then suddenly will read 1/2
full and then stay around 1/2 full as the tank empties more. It is not very
accurate at the low end. I owned a 1962 Healey from 1968 to 1973. The gauge in
that car was far more accurate.

I have taken my gauge apart to better understand the calibration and I built a
testing unit. The site below shows you pictures of the insides, the coils and
armature and shows how to build the calibration unit.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/fg_01.htm

I still cannot get the accuracy I recall from new gauges. The only thing I can
think of is the coil magnets are not well aligned with the armature because
they are out of plumb. The only way I can think of to fix that is to bend the
case where the coils rest against it but it would be guess work.

John

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 9:56 AM
To: [email-masked]; john
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel gauge

Wouldn't a qualified rebuilder also calibrate the gauge?
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Ed Kaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:15:11 -0500

<<  On 7/6/2014 11:52 AM, john wrote:
> Anyone agree or have other thoughts?  >>

IIRC <G>, www.mgaguru.com ---> "Enter" ---> [top LEFT corner?? image of MGA
on a Lift going up/down] "Tech Articles" ---> Search [fuel gauge ??], John.

Applies for MOST era LBCs <G> ! ! !

KEEP Barney's site in your Favs/Bookmarks <VBG>;  TONS of info ! ! !

Ed

[email-masked]

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 10:27:41 -0700

The sending unit has a coil and the quality of the coil windings has an effect
on the gauge. Bad senders have very few windings and the better, original
senders, have windings that spaced more closely. Sloshing of the fuel will
cause the gauge to jump around. The problem I have is the needle appears to
stick on high and then it will suddenly jump down to 1/2. Experience with
adjusting the coils leads me to the conclusion the distance of the coil
magnets from the armature is critical to achieving an accurately calibrated
gauge.

Cheers,

John

From: Curtis Arndt [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 10:00 AM
To: john
Cc: Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel gauge

It's not always the fuel gauge, the sending unit in the fuel tank is typically
the culprit.  Roger Moment was rebuilding these for a while, but I'm certain
there are others out there providing this service.

Cheers,

Curt

[email-masked]

---

From: Ed Kaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:31:07 -0500

E D I T        Y O U R        R E P L I E S  [before DMARC p="reject" 
catches you] ! ! !*
**XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

*
<<  On 7/6/2014 12:11 PM, john wrote:
> (the founder was a partner at MOMA for a long time I believe)  >>
Husband, John <G><G> ! !

Hence "Mo" = Morris and "Ma" = Margaret [ R.I.P.] === MoMa <G> ! !
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 10:58:44 -0700

It plain does not move. Borrowed friends gauge, his worked.

I Erbs
IT Educator and Consultant
sent from smartphone, so what you read, may not be what I meant to send.
On Jul 6, 2014 9:52 AM, "john" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 19:50:01 +0000 (UTC)

[email-masked]