Subject: [Healeys] Pulling camshaft in situ ...

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 22:04:32 +0000 (UTC)

... possible (BJ8)? Have to remove the grill? 

Bob 

-------------------------------- 
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 22:39:12 -0400 (EDT)

Bob,  There was some discussion about this on the list some years back
and it can be done.  On the factory racing Healeys the radiator and
grill have to come out and a relief cut was made on the cross member
that is in front of the radiator to allow the cam to clear on it's way
out of the block.  You may be able to avoid the relief cut by unbolting
the forward engine mounts at the frame and jack up the front of the
engine to enable the cam to clear the cross member.  Maybe some one on
the list has first hand experience with this.  In addition you are
going to have to gain access to the front pulley nut and remove the
pulley and timing chain cover which I did many years ago by jacking up
the front of the engine so I could replace a timing chain tensioner.
The nut was so tight, I had to use an impact wrench to get the nut
loose.

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Jul 16, 2014 6:04 pm
Subject: [Healeys] Pulling camshaft in situ ...

Bob

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:42:31 -0700

Don't forget to disconnect the longitudinal throttle rod.

Undo front motor mounts. You might want to replace a bolt on each side with
a long bolt so the engine has an alignment guide.

Remove grille, radiator and fan

If you have the dampener with the bolted pulley, you can substitute two long
bolts and use this setup, with a big socket and breaker bar, to undo the big
nut:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/image/93312770

Beyond removal of front pulley, have no further experience-based comment as
I haven't removed a camshaft - there'll be issues with removing the timing
gears and chain and removing the distributor drive and getting it all
aligned properly on reinstall.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6

[email-masked]

---

From: "Herbert Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:12:37 -0500

Don't you have to remove the dist. and the shaft that runs the dist. and oil
pump?
Herb Miller

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Steve
Gerow
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pulling camshaft in situ ...

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]