Subject: [Healeys] 26C engines

From: "Peter Svilans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:26:27 -0400

The BMC "C" series six-cylinder was already two years old by the time it was
fitted into the Healey. (BMC car names, like A-90, reflected supposed top
speeds back then).

It was introduced in October 1954 in the Austin A-90 (BS4) and Wolseley 6-90.
The Austin version had 7.3 to 1 compression, a Zenith carb and 85 hp.  The
Wolseley version had twin S.U's with either 7.2 comp. for 90 hp or 8.3 comp.
for 95 hp.  Both had gallery heads and downdraft (vertical) carbs.

In July 1955 the engine was fitted in the Morris Isis, with one semi-downdraft
S.U. for 86 hp.

In May 1956, Harry Weslake built a race version of the engine with three
Webers, and shortly after,  it was developed for production as the Austin
A-105 (BS7) with 8.25 comp. and twin sidedraft S.U's for 102 hp (essentially
the first gallery head Healey 100-Six (Longbridge BN4) engine, and maybe the
start of the 26A,B,C designations).

In Oct. 1956 the Austin range was updated as the A-95 (BS6) with 8.5 comp.,
single downdraft Zenith and 92 hp.  Also that month the Morris Isis Series II
got the comp. increase and 90 hp. as did the Wolseley 6-90 Series II.  The
Wolseley's sister car, the Riley Two-Point-Six replaced the classic high-cam
Riley engine of the Pathfinder with the "C" series BMC Six at this time also.

So if Andy's late '57 A-105 is stamped 26A, maybe the "26A,B,C" began with the
first Weslake overhaul of the gallery head motors in '56. Just a thought.Is
there even a 26B ? More info needed from early six-cylinder owners, please.

Best,
Peter
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys