Subject: [Healeys] Denis Welch

From: J Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:54:18 +1000

The world of Healeys has been enhanced by the enthusiasm, enterprise and
achievements of Denis. He was competing in motorcyle and sports car racing
for most of his life. I was lucky enough to have briefly meet him when I
witnessed him racing his 3000 "Bulldog", KVS.484, at Bathurst in an All
Healey Race that lister Chris 'Black and White Healey' Dimmock had a large
part in organising.

Denis and "Bulldog" had a proven record of being the fastest circuit racer
in its F.I.A. Class in European racing when they beat all comers including
Ferrari and Aston Martins to be declared u/3000cc G.T. Champion in 1990.
That is some achievement.

All Healey racers benefited from Denis's innovations with Healey race
preparation. He recognised the limitations of modified standard Healey
components and applied an engineering approach to make a 'better mousetrap'.
Rather than continue to modify the standard components available at that
time he sought to understand their limit and the cause of failure and solved
the problem to give  the rather basic Healey engine and transmission a whole
new life. He had components made or sourced to his improved specification.
These parts were made available to the general public and so many more
Healeys were seen on the track and peformed at a higher level. Look at the
number of  Healeys now competing at international circuits. LeMans Classic
and Goodwood Revival are premier events in classic sports car racing.

This increased visibility of Healeys on the track , and this is what Donald,
Geoff  and his team were paid to do, has meant our cars are more desireable
and sought after.

For a considerable period of time it was Denis Welch and Bulldog who were
keeping the Healey flag flying internationally. His approach and success has
enabled many others to join in and continue to uphold the profile of
Healeys. The UK and Dutch AH Clubs are very active and competitive in
classic and historic sports car racing, many using Denis Welch Motorsport
components that son Jeremy has taken over.

In 1996 I saw their  components on display at the International Healey
Weekend  and it was like exotic jewellery.  Non - racers also can gain an
advantage from better, longer life and smoother running components fitted to
our cars. Other items were developed to improve safety.

I hope Denis will not be forgotten

Joe
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys