Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Large oil consumption

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:27:39 +0800

Niels -

If the oil feed banjo bolt is loose, then excess oil will leak into the
rocker area.  I'd check that first before assuming the worst.  Also, was
your oil pressure showing high?  If it's too high you'll get a similar
result.

On the rear axle, if you are getting any leakage around your hubs, check to
make sure the lug nuts are tight on the spline hub.  If they aren't tight,
it will leak and your hub studs will wear out!  If it's all set up
correctly with paper gasket and o-ring, then it should NOT leak if the hub
is tightly bolted per the manual spec.

Also, if recently rebuilt with rear crank seal, there's no where for excess
crankcase pressure to go, so it pushes oil out every possible spot it can -
especially on long trips.  Suggest you install a PCV (easy to do) which
will help equalize the pressure in the crankcase, I think you will find
this is your problem.

If your motor was recently rebuilt, then the oil problem is related to the
rebuild and stuff not being properly sorted just yet.  I'd be very
surprised if anything is actually wrong with the motor itself, it's just
not sorted properly, that's all.

Best,

Alan

On Sunday, July 27, 2014, Niels Bengaard <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi
>
>
>
> Just returned from a trip from Denmark to England in my BJ8. I will write a
> story about that later, it was great.
>
> There were no problems with the car except for large oil consumption and
> oil
> spillage.
>
>
>
> The undercarriage was covered in oil and the oil consumption was from max
> to
> min on the oil stick in 250 miles.
>
> I have an idea that it's the rocker assembly that's worn down, take a look
> at the videos.
>
> Also some leak from the rear axle, since there were oil under the rear
> seats
> and the rear exhaust system.
>
> What about the leak around the engine / gearbox?
>
> The engine is restored 10000 miles ago by previous owner, don't know the
> extent, except it should have been rebored with new pistons and Denis Welch
> oil pump. New type of seal on the crank and head made to lead free fuel.
>
>
>
>
> http://healey.850r.dk/albums/Picture%20Album/album/Oil%20Consumption%202014/
> index.html
>
>
>
> What is normal oil consumption?
>
>
>
> Hope you have some ideas
>
> Niels Bengaard, Denmark
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 19:49:17 +1000

Niels, the car should not consume that much oil, however from the images 
this does not seem to be a fully restored car. You sound frustrated buy 
the scope of the problems, remember this is a very old car and you have 
to work through problems methodically. Or have the whole car thoroughly 
restored. The leaks from the rear axle are a minor problem, and not 
difficult to fix. You need to thoroughly clean the engine, do some short 
trips and see if the oil consumption is from leaks or the engine 
consuming it. Just because it was the engine was restored recently does 
not mean it was done correctly. Most Healeys will leak some oil, however 
while the leak can be messy, it doesn't relate to the oil consumption 
your talking about. A teaspoon of oil makes a big oil puddle. Look to 
where the leaks are coming from, hopefully not into the bell housing 
from the rear crank main seal! If you have lots of leaks work through 
them 1 by 1. The diff oil leaks can be fixed in a weekend with a few 
gaskets and seals, not a big deal.
Cheers
Larry Varley
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 12:51:02 +0200

Clean your engine thoroughly, so you can notice where the oil is coming 
from on a short trip, or even running the engine stationary. Also make 
sure your crankcase ventilation (whatever system is fitted) is not 
blocked. Most common external leaks are:
front crankshaft seal
rear crankshaft seal
crank case ventilation blocked, resulting in oil being blown past the seals
rocker cover (distortion or gasket; sealing of nuts)
external oil pipes and their connections
distributor housing
sump (distortion or gasket, sometimes pin holed because of dents)

Sealing the diff and rear axle is straight forward enough, see WSM. 
However smell the leaked oil first to see if the oil is EP oil from the 
diff or engine oil sprayed from the engine.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Niels Bengaard schreef op 27-7-2014 11:17:
> There were no problems with the car except for large oil consumption and oil
> spillage.
>
>   
>
> The undercarriage was covered in oil and the oil consumption was from max to
> Also some leak from the rear axle, since there were oil under the rear seats
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7928 - datum van uitgifte: 07/27/14

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:37:15 +1000

Larry is right.
Degrease your engine. Allow it to dry. Then, when your wife isn't home, borrow
her talcum powder...
Lightly sprinkle the talcum powder around the engine. Start the engine and
allow it to run for like 2 minutes.
Look for moisture in the talcum powder. Keep sprinkling higher.... Until you
find the leak. Alternatively, do it one area at a time.
Worst offenders are the rocker cover gaskets, side plate gaskets etc
The other reason you get rapid oil usage is lots of short trips, followed by a
long trip.....
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

> On 27 Jul 2014, at 7:49 pm, Larry Varley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
this does not seem to be a fully restored car. You sound frustrated buy the
scope of the problems, remember this is a very old car and you have to work
through problems methodically. Or have the whole car thoroughly restored. The
leaks from the rear axle are a minor problem, and not difficult to fix. You
need to thoroughly clean the engine, do some short trips and see if the oil
consumption is from leaks or the engine consuming it. Just because it was the
engine was restored recently does not mean it was done correctly. Most Healeys
will leak some oil, however while the leak can be messy, it doesn't relate to
the oil consumption your talking about. A teaspoon of oil makes a big oil
puddle. Look to where the leaks are coming from, hopefully not into the bell
housing from the rear crank main seal! If you have lots of leaks work through
them 1 by 1. The diff oil leaks can be fixed in a weekend with a few gaskets
and seals, not a big deal.
> Larry

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:54:38 -0400 (EDT)

Alan,
I often read about installing a PCV to help reduce oil leak issues. I
know there is more that one way to plumb a PCV, but I do not understand how it
could help reduce oil leaks when compared to an engine which is plumbed with
the original crankcase ventilation system (PCV) & no owner installed
modifications (except the rear crankshaft seal). 

Gary Hodson  

From:
Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Large oil
consumption
Also, if recently rebuilt with rear crank seal, there's no where
for excess
crankcase pressure to go, so it pushes oil out every possible spot
it can -
especially on long trips.  you install a PCV (easy to do) which
will
help equalize the pressure in the crankcase, I think you will find
this is
your problem.
Best,

Alan

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:08:35 +0800

Gary -

If it is hooked up correctly, you will plumb the PCV into the intake
manifold which is always under negative pressure when the engine is
running.  The PCV is just a one way valve.  Basically, directly plumbed
into the intake manifold would put the crankcase under a mild negative
pressure, meaning that oil ... rather than being pushed out the gaps in
gaskets (with normal positive pressure in the crankcase) ... the oil will
naturally want to stay in the crankcase.  You need a PCV because if you get
any sort of prefire in the intake manifold, you don't want it blowing back
into the crankcase.  The PCV has the added advantage of recycling unburned
hydrocarbons back into your combustion chamber, hence why they first
appeared on pollution controlled vehicles in the late 60s.  This is one
pollution control device that actually is good for the running of your
motor and generally helps burn off excess fuel and oil.

Best,

Alan

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Alan,
> I often read about installing a PCV to help reduce oil leak issues. I know
> there is more that one way to plumb a PCV, but I do not understand how it
> could help reduce oil leaks when compared to an engine which is plumbed
> with the original crankcase ventilation system (PCV) & no owner installed

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:46:34 -0400 (EDT)

Alan,
Thanks for describing the correct plumbing. I have seen the Positive
Crankcase Ventilation (PVC) valve installed in the hose between the "T"
fitting on the valve cover & the air cleaner as well as many other variations.
I assume you are installing the PCV valve in a hose from the "T" fitting on
the valve cover to the intake manifold fitting. Correct? I guess my point is
that the original PCV system produces a mild negative pressure in the
crankcase & reduces oil leaks in an engine with or without a rear oil seal kit
if the rest of the engine is in good condition. No PVC system will prevent oil
leaks if the engine is in poor condition or the gaskets are leaking. The
original system also recycles unburned hydrocarbons, etc.
Gary Hodson
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Subject:
Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Large oil consumption

Gary -
If it is hooked up correctly,
you will plumb the PCV into the intake manifold which is always under negative
pressure when the engine is running.  The PCV is just a one way valve.
Basically, directly plumbed into the intake manifold would put the crankcase
under a mild negative pressure, meaning that oil ... rather than being pushed
out the gaps in gaskets (with normal positive pressure in the crankcase) ...
the oil will naturally want to stay in the crankcase.  You need a PCV because
if you get any sort of prefire in the intake manifold, you don't want it
blowing back into the crankcase.  The PCV has the added advantage of recycling
unburned hydrocarbons back into your combustion chamber, hence why they first
appeared on pollution controlled vehicles in the late 60s.  This is one
pollution control device that actually is good for the running of your motor
and generally helps burn off excess fuel and oil.
Best,
Alan
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]