Subject: Re: [Healeys] spacers behind the wheel hub?

From: "teamhealeytexas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:53:56 -0500 {sentby:smtp auth 71.41.225.122 authed with [email-masked]}

I've used aluminum spacers behind the hubs of my '62 3000 BT7 race car for 
20 years, for exactly the reason cited. I used to run 195x65 Yokohama 
A008RS. On hard cornering they would rub the inside wheel wheel. When 
Yokohama stopped making those tires, I switched to Hoosier Speedsters 
205x60. No trouble rubbing the wheel well with the spacers, and my rear 
tires don't extend beyond the edge of the fender. Obviously the outside tire 
wall is further out than a more stock sized tire, but even with the 
Speedsters, the sidewalls are flush with the fender edge using the 5/16 
spacers.

Y'all take care, eh?
Fred Crowley
Team Healey Texas

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jerry Costanzo
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] spacers behind the wheel hub?

Does anyone use spacers behind the wheel hub?  I have Vredesteins 185/70/15 
on
72 spoke wheels and am seeing tire rub on the inner fender wall, also on the
bolt heads  that hold on the bump stop.  Looks like a 1/8 spacer might
eliminate the rub.
Jerry
BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:57:45 -0700

Jerry:

I ran into a bit of the same problem BJ8 (late), 457F wheels, (other wheel 
#'s have different offsets), Vred 185 / 70 15's.  No sign of contact on the 
inner fender, but slight signs of grazing on the bump stop bolts, which were 
installed as per the book, with a flat washer and a lock washer.  Took both 
washers out - installed the bolts without anything - no contact.  I may 
switch to a pan head bolt, or even a countersunk bolt to give a bit more 
clearance.

We checked the rear axle housing play - if it's moving too much side to side 
in corners, you can get the same problem with a wide tire.  My car is a 
fresh restoration - new bushings, everything as tight as it should be 
(u-bolt nuts).  The axle housing was effectively not moving at all.  The car 
has the Putzke Bilstein shock kit installed, which should not affect side to 
side axle housing movement.  I have not sorted out the wheels / tires - I 
have a bit of lateral run out on both rear wheels.  The bump stop bolt 
'tracks' don't go all the way around the tire.  I'll be sorting that out in 
the near future.

You want to be cautious about wheel spacers with the wide tire - you don't 
want to get the wheels too far to the outside.  Reworking the bump stop 
bolts, and maybe 'massaging' the inner fenders just a bit might do the 
trick - depending on where and how much the contact is.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jerry Costanzo
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] spacers behind the wheel hub?

[email-masked]