Subject: Re: [Healeys] 1959 100-6

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:36:02 -0700

Hmmm.

What you describe shouldn't be cause to scrap the engine that's in the car.
Find someone who knows these engines. Simple timing issues and intake leaks
cause those.

An Austin Healey engine will run great forever with completely shot rings and
bearings. they may make some noise, but they will run smoothly.

With that out of the way, you can rebuild your original numbers engine fairly
simply. I keep seeing people posting numbers of 10,000 to rebuild one right.
IMNSHO, that's hogwash.

God luck!

On Jul 23, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Chris Scholz wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My name is Chris from Muscatine Iowa--I bought my first Healey last
summer--a
> beautiful 100-6, english old white with red coves and red interior with a
> non-original rebuilt engine.   Car is in good shape but was running poorly
in
> 2013.  Found out the distributer and generator were bad, and there was some
> misalignment of the engine crank with the transmission.   That was all
fixed
> this winter and the car was running good this spring, except for an
occasional
> spit.
>
> It quit on me last month, and was backfiring and wouldn't run.  My trusty
> mechanic checked the compression which was low, and barely within normal
> limits.   He did a leak-down test, and two or three cylinders are very
poor.
> There is some black smoke on start-up.   It appears that this rebuilt
engine
> from the previous owner is wore out.
>
> I have the original engine which has a thrown rod.   We are looking at
> overhauling the original motor and having the car be complete numbers
> matching.  I will have a core motor for sale shortly, including the crank,
> etc, if anyone is interested.
>
> I am frustrated that I have to go through an overhaul, but will be excited
to
> have the car run like it was designed.  Transmission and overdrive are in
> excellent shape, so that is good news.   Any advice is welcome.  I feel the
> car is worth more with the original engine.   We are not cutting any
corners
> in the overhaul, since the rest of the car is in such good shape, we want
> everything as close to perfect as possible.  Thanks.
>
> Chris Scholz
> 563-260-5067
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys