Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 8:12:36 -0400

I believe it was Jule, from the Jule frame place, who installed a 3.8L Jag engine in his Healey--not sure of the year.  I remember driving to Ashville and he blowing past us at a fast pace.  That engine took up every bit of space under the bonnet.

tom
---- Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
You just opened a can of worms, splendid.
Although I think that the later 6-cilinder AH's looked better than the 
BN1, I always disliked that heavy lump of cast iron under the bonnet. 
What about a 6 in line BMW engine. Plenty of those around. I have seen 
some very neat conversions using that engine, especially in a Jensen 
541S which originally had a 4 liter 6 in line Austin engine. They had to 
fit much weaker front springs and alter the shocks but it resulted in a 
far better road behaviour and, not unimportant, the steering effort 
became much more manageable and pleasant.There should be a few Japs as 
well that can supply enough 6 in line grunt. I am not sure if 
Datsun/Nissan supplied any lightweight/aluminium 6 in line engines but 
if so it would keep it a bit in the family as Datsun more or less 
started life producing and developing/improving Austin products. I have 
heard that even the early (and perhaps later) in line sixes from 
Datsun/Nissan will match up with an Austin gearbox.
Do not forget the lightweight Buick derived Rover V-8 which should fit 
without to much bother and also has some relation to Austin.
There are probably some Australian engines as well that are suitable but 
I do not know anything of those.
Not only did BMC self destruct, the entire UK car industry did. Only 
some assembly from foreign cars left: e.g. Nissan and Mini (BMW) plus 
some niche manufacturers mostly in in foreign ownership, e.g. Lotus, 
Rolls Royce, Morgan
Kees Oudesluijs

Larry Varley schreef op 6-7-2014 9:57:
> I think it's time that the list had a healthy debate, and some fun. I 
> would propose that the only real Austin Healey was the BN1, designed 
> by Donald Healey and Gerry Coker. Everything after that was BMC, who 
> never made a decent car after the 50's, just using what they had to 
> keep producing the cars, that were for some part good ideas, but bad 
> design. The mini was a great idea, but mix the gearbox oil with the 
> engine? Oh dear. The BN2 with a extra gear in a much heavier gearbox 
> that really added no extra performance, then the 100-6 with that 
> horribly heavy engine and no more grunt. Why would anyone do that, and 
> just ruin the balance of the car? Ok after that they added the 12 port 
> head to it, but the sixes at their best are really ponderous in the 
> steering department relative to the BN1, which is a nibble well 
> balance car. I'm going so far as to use an alloy block in my BT7 to 
> turn it back into a descend handling car and restore the weight 
> balance. BMC basically self destructed, while the rest of the world 
> moved forward, what a shame.
> Cheers
> Larry Varley
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7805 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 07/06/14
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys