Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil vent filter

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:37:40 +0200

This is not normal!!

I suspect too much oil unter the rocker cover. Your rocker shaft may need an overhaul.

Josef Eckert

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: [Healeys] oil vent filter
Datum: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:33:20 +0200
Von: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
An: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>

Howdy all,
 I put a K&N vent filter on the T pipe on top of my valve cover. I have
expereinced a lot of oil mist condensation all over the engine bay. Good
news, nothing will rust, bad news I have oil all over the engine bay. Is
this due to high crankcase pressure or is this a normal, negative
consequence? The filter looks great, but the oil is a  major issue. I have
aftermarket K&N filters with no hose nipple to attach to the air filter. Am
I special or have other dealt with this issue?
Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 12:57:19 -0700

had it done about 40K  and 38 years ago. The oil is emitted as a vapor from
the filter. As I recall I need to pull the valve cover, run the engine and
see if oil is spouting. Is that right? The only thing changed since last
ran the car was the filter. I used to have it just run to ground. I did
just tighten the valve cover. it was loose.

Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR

bMoney may not buy happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Jaguar than on a
bus.b
b FranC'oise Sagan
<https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1357577.Fran_oise_Sagan>

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 20:07:15 +0000 (UTC)

Probably blow-by blasting oil from under the valve cover. I presume you're using the filter bass-ackwards of how it was intended; i.e. to stop oil going out instead of filtering air going in? 

I installed a PCV valve when I put K&N filters on my BJ8. Been glad ever since I did it--lower oil consumption and less leaking from the rear mean 'seal.' BCS has a kit (at least, they used to). 

Bob 

Howdy all, 

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:22:30 -0700

http://www.tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=35&new=1
Using this breather. see photo

Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Probably blow-by blasting oil from under the valve cover.  I presume
> you're using the filter bass-ackwards of how it was intended; i.e. to stop
> oil going out instead of filtering air going in?
>
> I installed a PCV valve when I put K&N filters on my BJ8.  Been glad ever
> since I did it--lower oil consumption and less leaking from the rear mean
> 'seal.'  BCS has a kit (at least, they used to).
>
> Bob
>
>
> Howdy all,

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 20:27:19 +0000 (UTC)

An oil separator would be more appropriate.

----- Original Message -----

Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR

[email-masked]

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:33:14 -0700

Oil should dribble out of the rocker shaft holes, if it is spouting, shaft
needs to be rebuilt.

John Spaur

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of I Erbs
Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:57 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Healeys, Forum
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil vent filter

As I recall I need to pull the valve cover, run the engine and see if oil is
spouting. Is that right? 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 22:38:40 +0200

You need some kind of oil barrier. This usually set up using some baffle 
plates and a membrane valve, while the valve vents to the carbs. There 
may be some baffle plates in the valve cover but on the pipe on the 
valve cover there should normally be a largish valve (ca. 2-3") with a 
disc held by a spring on top, perhaps your car will have a different 
arrangement.
The vent can be fitted to one or all K&N covers bij drilling a hole and 
fit a suitable nipple.
Kees Oudesluijs

I Erbs schreef op 2-7-2014 18:32:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4592 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7784 - datum van uitgifte: 07/02/14

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 22:42:01 +0200

I have used similar ones before. They keep some dirt out but will not 
keep the oil in, you will need a breather valve of some sorts.
Kees Oudesluijs

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 16:50:23 -0400 (EDT)

What was your reason for not using the original crankcase ventilation system?
Gary Hodson

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:57:20 -0700

K&N filters do not have the hose nipple, plus the breather looks cool I
guess I can cut on einto the back of the rear filter like oem

Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [email-masked]://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

[email-masked]

---

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:03:22 -0400

Ira,

There are two means of correcting the excessive oil vapor.  The first is to
replace the rear main oil seal.  This will stop/reduce the oil leak there.
I am told this can only be done with the engine out of the car.  If you
replace the rear main seal, you will still have vapors in the rocker
cover.  The PCV valve step will solve the rest of the problem.

For the other means of solving the problem, first check the oil hole on the
rocker shaft, with the valve cover off, the engine warm and at about 2,500
- 3,000 RPM.  There should be nothing but "seepage" along the shaft at each
rocker.  If there is spouting oil from the oil hole, the rocker needs to be
redone.  This oil spouting produces a larger amount of vapor inside the
rocker cover.

Once you determine the condition of the rocker shaft, then you can deal
with the vapors.  You must install a PCV valve, in the proper vacuum flow
orientation.  If it is the incorrect type of PCV valve, it will not work as
needed.  I cannot remember the NAPA part number but it is a type 1,
Connect the hose from the PCV valve to the intake manifold.

If the correct PCV valve is properly installed, the PCV valve draws the
vapor from the rocker cover when there is low rpm (idle equals higher
vacuum, that is when the PCV is open) and does not draw fumes when the
vacuum is low (higher rpm equals lower vacuum, that is when the PCV valve
is closed).  This will eliminate the rear oil seal leak.  This will
eliminate/drastically reduce the oil leak even if you do not replace the
rear main seal.

I completed this installation a number of years ago and it works just as I
have explained.  No leaks, drips or errors (sic).  No oil in the under hood
area or under the car or on the floor.  And, the car runs just as it did
before the PCV valve installation.

I don't know about the BCS kit, but the operation of the valve is explained
in Norm Knock's manual.

The filter on the "T" will clog quickly and the oil will then start to leak.

Fred
63BJ7

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM, I Erbs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> b Money may not buy happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Jaguar than on a
> bus.b
> b  FranC'oise Sagan
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:07:41 -0400

I had the same set up. However no oil, thought I smelled some vapors and ran a
hose from the T down next to the motor so any vapor went ou under the car.

Just got back from 2000 mile conclave / tour drive and no speakable oil
underneath by the breather.

Randy

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 15:48:44 -0700

Is the metal plate piece missing from the inside of your valve cover? that
piece should catch and drop most of the oil from entering the "T" pipe.

Either way, that pipe has to go somewhere.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 20:55:48 -0400 (EDT)

The first step to check the rocker shaft is an easy one - remove the oil
filler cap with the engine running. Often a worn shaft will be readily
apparent without removing the valve cover.

Jim Werner

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
To: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Jul 2, 2014 6:04 pm
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil vent filter

Ira,

Fred
63BJ7

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 01:34:22 +0000

Ira,

It would be much simpler to install a PCV valve. There is a method shown in
John Sims' archives. Very simple on a 6, takes a lot more work on a 4. The
parts you need will cost less than $10. Solves the problem, keeps the engine
clean and slows down the oil leaks.

Bill Lawrence

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:57:20 -0700
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> > > aftermarket K&N filters with no hose nipple to attach to the air
filter.
> Am
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:34:30 -0700

Have aftermarket rear seal. After having a Healey specialist I know look at
it he seems to feel oil leaking from my valve cover is being blown around
the engine bay. Ill replace the gasket this weekend and seal it with the
Right Stuff sealant. Clean  it and sed if things improve. Thanks all fir
your comments. Drove it to Summer School today. The kids and staff loved it.

I Erbs
IT Educator and Consultant
sent from smartphone, so what you read, may not be what I meant to send.
On Jul 2, 2014 6:26 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Ira
> Austin engines have to have a way for excess crankcase pressure to leave
> the engine.  On the 100 (four cylinder cars) there was a road draft tube
> the vented the lifter gallery cover.  The car moving forward caused the air
> blowing by the pipe opening (below the engine) to suck the air out of the
> engine.  When the car was not moving it didnbt work so well. On the six
> cylinder cars they connected the lifter cover and the valve cover to the
> vent tube and then hooked into the air cleaner.  The vented crankcase gases
> were pulled into the rear carb.  Having a filter on the end of the vent
> tube and not connecting to the air filter will cause the crankcase pressure
> to build up. Granted the condition of the rocker shaft  and bushing add to
> the oil issue if they are worn but the need for a vent with negative
> pressure (suction) is required. The original screw seal on the rear of the
> crankshaft will not tolerate a lot of crankcase pressure and will leak like
> a sieve. An aftermarket crank seal helps in that location but does nothing
> for the real problem.  The other solution is the installation of a PCV
> valve in the intake manifold with the appropriate plumbing.
> Aloha
> Perry
>
> Sent from Windows Mail

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 08:55:01 +0200

AFAIK K&N do carry these hose nipples, but you can source them from your 
local hardware shop in either brass, steel or plastic.
Kees Oudesluijs

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 21:41:18 -0400

Ira,

Make sure the lip of the valve cover is flat.  I usually glue the gasket 
to the valve cover and use some grease on the cylinder head side of the 
gasket.  That way I can remove the valve cover and not worry about the 
gasket sticking to the head.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 07/02/2014 09:34 PM, I Erbs wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 09:24:29 -0700

I do the opposite. I like to "glue" the gasket to the head instead of the
cover. Helps keep the oil there while adjust valves and such.

Wilko
Rick Wilkins

On Jul 2, 2014, at 6:41 PM, Bob Haskell wrote:

> Ira,
>
> Make sure the lip of the valve cover is flat.  I usually glue the gasket to
the valve cover and use some grease on the cylinder head side of the gasket.
That way I can remove the valve cover and not worry about the gasket sticking
to the head.
>>> valve in the intake manifold with the appropriate plumbing.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 11:50:56 -0700

I have the aluminum valve cover.

My point is not at all tomato/tomahto thing. Leaving the gasket on the head
allows me to run the engine with the cover off and spill less oil because the
gasket makes a pool for the oil.

On Jul 3, 2014, at 11:20 AM, Ray Juncal wrote:

> You sat tomato I say tomahto....what you really need is a nice cast finned
aluminum valve cover, very flat, very stiff, that you can crank down on with
some knurled knobs.  Keeps the valve noise down too.
> Ray :)
>
>
>
> On Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:00 AM, Wilko2 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
to
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 19:15:10 -0700

On Jul 3, 2014, at 6:36 PM, Wilko2 wrote:

> No worries. I was just pointing out that there was method to my madness. Not
damaging the gasket is also a good thing!
>
> Sure I've got an alloy cover, buy it's no hand-made custom FINNED cover!
>
> Cheers,
> Rick
>
> On Jul 3, 2014, at 2:07 PM, Ray Juncal wrote:
>
>> Rick
>>    No criticism intended.  If the extra depth to catch oil works for you
I'm good with it.  Many guys glue the gasket to the cover as it is out of the
way and less likely to be damaged while working on the top end.
>>     The real reason for my comment was a blatant and marginally humorous
plug for finned aluminum valve covers.  Ira may have expressed interest at one
time, it was aimed at him.
>> Ray

[email-masked]