Subject: Re: [Healeys] Possible contaminates in gas tank

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:26:52 +0800

If it was hot, you might have had some vaporization in the float chambers
which can cause your car to stall.....

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014, R Phillips <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The other day I was driving my '65 BJ8 on the highway and it happily
> performed by any measure.  When I pulled off the highway and made my way to
> a traffic light I had to sit through 2 cycles when it suddenly started to
> run rough and stalled.  I was able to restart but it continued running
> rough and then settled in.  The gas gauge red more than 1/4.  I don't have
> a fuel filter and wonder if there might be something in the bottom of my
> tank.
>
> So:  Is a filter recommended, if so which one and how does one clean out a
> tank?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Ric
> 65 BJ8
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:27:06 +0000 (UTC)

FWIW, I took a trip up the CA north coast last weekend, and had similar issues. I think gasahol causes a minor vapor lock when you sit and/or when the engine loads up; esp. if it's warm/hot. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

From: "R Phillips" <[email-masked]> 
To: "healeys" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:09:30 PM 
Subject: [Healeys] Possible contaminates in gas tank 

Thanks for your help. 

Ric 
65 BJ8 

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:29:11 +0000 (UTC)

Anyone got ceramic-coated exhaust manifold? Does it help with this problem? 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

Bob 

----- Original Message ----- 

Thanks for your help. 

Ric 
65 BJ8 

[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:36:00 +0800

Yeah, I had some problems with this on my A90 a while back.  I Jet Hot
coated the manifold and it stopped it wholesale.  In fact, it helps push so
much heat out the exhaust that even the engine runs cooler.  Even on hot
days I can have my head in the engine compartment no problem!  I got the
coating with best heat insulation, I think it's called "extreme sterling."
 The only thing is if you have a mild steel exhaust, it probably will rust
faster....

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> FWIW, I took a trip up the CA north coast last weekend, and had similar
> issues. I think gasahol causes a minor vapor lock when you sit and/or when
> the engine loads up; esp. if it's warm/hot.
>
> Bob
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:18:48 +0200

A fuel filter should be fitted at all times, The usual place for it is 
just after the petrol pump in cars that have a Lucas electrical fuel 
pump. Other prefer the filter as near the fuel tank as possible, i.e. 
between tank and fuel pump. Car with mechanical pumps often have the 
fuel filter under the bonnet just before the fuel pump. This is not the 
best place because of under bonnet heat.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

R Phillips schreef op 29-7-2014 0:09:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7937 - datum van uitgifte: 07/28/14

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:37:20 -0400

Ric--

Though your problem may relate to something other than debris in the fuel,
etc. a fuel filter never hurts. Some choose to install one close to the
carbs in the engine compartment.  I prefer to place it between the tank and
the fuel pump so that it protects the latter as the screens in the pump are
quite small and easily clogged.  If you opt for this location and cut the
metal fuel line remember that it--the line--provides a ground for the fuel
sender so install a new wire from the sender to recreate this path.

As to how to clean the tank:  You can gain access to its innards by
removing the sender unit and snooping around inside the tank but if you
really want to clean it out the best way would be to remove it from the car
and proceed from there.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM, R Phillips <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:19:32 -0700

I can recall stopping to help another Healey pilot about 50 miles
south of Carson City one summer on a lonely highway.  His fuel filter
had clogged with debris and access to it was very challenging.

Morals of story:  replace the filter before beginning any long trip,
and put the filter where you can reach it without jack stands or
special tools that you don't carry with you.  And carry a spare
filter.

-Roland
BN1 #724

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:58:52 -0700

Don't put the filter before the pump. This will increase the possibility of
vapor lock.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 29, 2014, at 0:18, Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> A fuel filter should be fitted at all times, The usual place for it is just
after the petrol pump in cars that have a Lucas electrical fuel pump. Other
prefer the filter as near the fuel tank as possible, i.e. between tank and
fuel pump. Car with mechanical pumps often have the fuel filter under the
bonnet just before the fuel pump. This is not the best place because of under
bonnet heat.
>> So:  Is a filter recommended, if so which one and how does one clean out a
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7937 - datum van uitgifte:
07/28/14
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]