Subject: Re: [Healeys] Nash Healey Packard

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 13:33:02 +1000

Hi Ken, There were a number of Nash Healeys converted to V8 by both Nash 
Dealers and owners, James Moore and Carl Chakmakian both of whom worked 
for Nash did V8 conversions on their Nash Healeys, but using the AMC V8. 
It is possible it was one of these cars. If it isn't I would be 
interested to know about it also. Leonard McGrady has a couple of V8 
powered cars as well, but I don't know their history.
I have the period articles on 3 of the V8 conversions on my Nash Healey 
website, at the link below. I have also just added a big collection of 
magazines from the Nash Healey car clubs that operated in the past.
Regards
Larry Varley
BN1
BT7
54 Nash Healey Lemans Coupe V8
54 Nash Healey Lemans Coupe
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/nash/docs.html
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Gil Rockwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 06:30:18 -0400

More likely it was a Packard straight eight as Packard's from that era all
were equipped with "straight" block configurations, not a "V" block.

Gil
61 BT7

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 8:21 PM
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Nash Healey Packard

I ran across some Nash Healey trivia today in the August 2014 issue of
Hemmings Classic Car magazine.
The director of styling at Nash American Motors from 1950 to 1961 was Edmund
Anderson. He drove a Nash Healey with a Packard V8 in it. He apparently
terrorized the Detroit police with it. One time he expected the factory
security gate personel to stop the cops from chasing him, but they didn't
and they caught him in the executive garage. He tried to have the security
folks fired.
Is this car still around?
Ken Freese
65 BJ8

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 22:47:20 +1000

G'day

The Packard straight-eight is far longer than the Nash straight-six and
simply won't fit in the engine bay of a Nash-Healey. Packard introduced its
first 352ci or 5.8 litre V8 powered car in 1955 to match its new bodystyling
along with torsion bar front and rear suspension which also featured
electric self- levelling at the rear.

The interesting piece of history is that Nash (AMC/Rambler) started buying
Packard V8s as early as 1954 before the engine was used by Packard. Two
years later Nash had their own V8 engine.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia 

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gil
Rockwell
Sent: Saturday, 5 July 2014 8:30 PM
To: [email-masked]; 'healeys'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Nash Healey Packard

Gil
61 BT7

-----Original Message-----

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Gil Rockwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 12:11:48 -0400

Good point, I sort of suspected the straight 8 would be difficult if not
impossible to fit.  My dad had a 52 Packard with the straight 8 and it
seemed really long to me as a child interested in cars at a young age.  The
hood seemed to stretch to the horizon from the front seat.  A V8 would even
be a tight fit in a Nash Healey.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick & Caroline Quinn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2014 8:47 AM
To: 'Gil Rockwell'; [email-masked]; 'healeys'
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Nash Healey Packard

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

-----Original Message-----

Gil
61 BT7

-----Original Message-----

---

[email-masked]

---

[email-masked]