Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 14:33:07 -0400

I am trying to reattached the overdrive unit to the transmission of my
BJ7.  The two sets of splines in the overdrive are aligned properly and I
have used safety wire to wire down the pump plunger to it lowest position.

The overdrive is on the transmission studs and the ends of the stubs are
just at the rear face of the overdrive case, not enough to get a nut on but
close.  The housing of the overdrive is 3/16" away from the transmission
housing.

I have put grease on the end of the main-shaft, grease on the roller on top
of the pump plunger and grease on the bottom of the eccentric ring that
operates the pump plunger.

I have tapped on the drive flange (not banged), tried to twist the
overdrive, tried to shake it left/right/up/down and tried to rotate the
drive flange.  The transmission is in 4th so nothing moves. I have also
tried all of these with the transmission in neutral.  No luck with any of
that.

I have tried many, many times to seat the overdrive and it just will not go
together.  It is always just the 3/16' short of mating up.

What am I doing wrong?  What should I look for or do?

Fred
63 BJ7
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys