Subject: Re: [Healeys] 26C engines

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:47:01 +1000

G'day

The first C-series engine was fitted to an Austin-Healey in late 1954 when
the DHMC was provided with a C26W engine (Wolseley) along with the advice
that the new six-cylinder engine was to be the generic BMC engine due to the
four-cylinder being phased out.

After installing the engine in a car Geoff Healey was very disappointed with
the performance provided by the engine and started working on extracting
additional power. Only when they sliced off the log part of the cylinder
head and install triple dual-throat SUs was he satisfied with the
performance. It would have looked impressive with six SU dash pots under the
bonnet.

That car with its C26W engine has sat in my garage since 1974, but not
unfortunately the SUs.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter
Svilans
Sent: Thursday, 31 July 2014 3:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] 26C engines

The BMC "C" series six-cylinder was already two years old by the time it was
fitted into the Healey. (BMC car names, like A-90, reflected supposed top
speeds back then).

It was introduced in October 1954 in the Austin A-90 (BS4) and Wolseley
6-90.
The Austin version had 7.3 to 1 compression, a Zenith carb and 85 hp.  The
Wolseley version had twin S.U's with either 7.2 comp. for 90 hp or 8.3 comp.
for 95 hp.  Both had gallery heads and downdraft (vertical) carbs.

In July 1955 the engine was fitted in the Morris Isis, with one
semi-downdraft S.U. for 86 hp.

In May 1956, Harry Weslake built a race version of the engine with three
Webers, and shortly after,  it was developed for production as the Austin
A-105 (BS7) with 8.25 comp. and twin sidedraft S.U's for 102 hp (essentially
the first gallery head Healey 100-Six (Longbridge BN4) engine, and maybe the
start of the 26A,B,C designations).

In Oct. 1956 the Austin range was updated as the A-95 (BS6) with 8.5 comp.,
single downdraft Zenith and 92 hp.  Also that month the Morris Isis Series
II got the comp. increase and 90 hp. as did the Wolseley 6-90 Series II.
The Wolseley's sister car, the Riley Two-Point-Six replaced the classic
high-cam Riley engine of the Pathfinder with the "C" series BMC Six at this
time also.

So if Andy's late '57 A-105 is stamped 26A, maybe the "26A,B,C" began with
the first Weslake overhaul of the gallery head motors in '56. Just a
thought.Is there even a 26B ? More info needed from early six-cylinder
owners, please.

Best,
Peter
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "David Nock BCS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:24:34 -0700

The dual throat SU carbs were used on several motors. I have customer with a 
MGA Twin cam that he vintage races. He has a pair of these on that car.

This is the only car I have seen with them on.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
209-948-8767
www.britishcarspecialists.com

-----Original Message----- 
From: Patrick & Caroline Quinn
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:47 PM
To: 'Peter Svilans' ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 26C engines

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

-----Original Message-----

Best,
Peter

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:49:36 +1000

G'day

If you have a half hour to spare and are interested in how the C-series
engine was made these three Pathe News films are well worthwhile. In this
day and age it is now available on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XsGtHJRrbk
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/magic-in-metal-reel-2
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/magic-in-metal-reel-3

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Patrick &
Caroline Quinn
Sent: Thursday, 31 July 2014 7:47 AM
To: 'Peter Svilans'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 26C engines

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

-----Original Message-----

Best,
Peter
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]