Subject: [Healeys] low oil pressure

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 03:02:07 +0000

been working with a club member who has a bt7 with low oil pressure.  this engine only has about a thousand miles on it since rebuild.  when started up cold the most oil pressure we can get is about 40psi.  when engine gets warm drops to about 30 at 2000rpm.  the bypass valve and spring was replaced with no results.  i have looked at the rocker arms and they just ooze oil out the top of the rockers.  i have pulled one rod cap to see if maybe the rebuilder failed to install new bearings and they look like they just came from the box.  did not have any plastigage to check clearances.  changed what looked like a brand new rotor oil pump for geared pump and the oil presssure actually went down a few psi.  the guage is very slow to react to increase in rpm and i am beginning to suspect an indicating problem somewhere other than guage because we put another good guage on it and nothing changed.  we also pulled the spin on filter adapter to make sure it was on correctly. other than an internal leak of some kind i am out of ideas.  also, at idle we are registering about 5-8psi on hot engine.  any help appreciated.  hjim
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 08:06:20 +0200

You need to measure the bearing clearances i think. plastigauge is accurate
enought for this purpose.

Gergo

2014-07-12 5:02 GMT+02:00 <[email-masked]>:

> been working with a club member who has a bt7 with low oil pressure.  this
> engine only has about a thousand miles on it since rebuild.  when started
> up cold the most oil pressure we can get is about 40psi.  when engine gets
> warm drops to about 30 at 2000rpm.  the bypass valve and spring was
> replaced with no results.  i have looked at the rocker arms and they just
> ooze oil out the top of the rockers.  i have pulled one rod cap to see if
> maybe the rebuilder failed to install new bearings and they look like they
> just came from the box.  did not have any plastigage to check clearances.
>  changed what looked like a brand new rotor oil pump for geared pump and
> the oil presssure actually went down a few psi.  the guage is very slow to
> react to increase in rpm and i am beginning to suspect an indicating
> problem somewhere other than guage because we put another good guage on it
> and nothing changed.  we also pulled the spin on filter adapter to make
> sure it was on correctly. other than an inter
>  nal leak of some kind i am out of ideas.  also, at idle we are
> registering about 5-8psi on hot engine.  any help appreciated.  hjim
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]