Subject: Re: [Healeys] brake light flasher

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:51:29 -0400

Hi Doc,

I have installed this brake flasher on my BJ7.  The flasher blinks 4 times
before going solid red.  The 4 flash sequence was the longest flashing
sequence I could program giving me a greater confidence that the drivers
behind me actually saw me apply the brakes.  All of this assuming they are
not on the phone and watching what they are doing.

I have also installed the flasher on a couple of other cars that are used
daily in bumper to bumper traffic.  Those cars have not been rear ended
since the instal.  Granted those tail lights are much higher than ours.

I also installed a third brake light and and converted my reflectors to
work like tail lights.  All of the bulbs have been changed to very bright
LED bulbs.  The flasher is installed so that it flashes all of the lights
as well.  I had not been rear ended before the flasher install nor have I
been rear ended since the install.  I can tell you that cars behind me are
coming to a full stop further behind me than before.

I can also tell you that I now have a tendency to keep a greater distance
between me and the car in front of me.  As I start to brake, I watch the
cars behind me and with the greater distance behind the car in front of me,
I have additional time to take defensive actions.

I really started doing the distance thing after a cop broadsided me and
totaled my daily driver.  The cop was on his cell phone.  He did not get a
ticket but I was absolved of all blame.  This has nothing to do with the
brake lights, just an indication that even cops are not immune to the
failure to pay attention while driving and therefore are causing accidents.

Do the flashers really help?  I think the real secret to the flasher
working is to start my braking process earlier and keeping a sharper eye on
the drivers behind me.  Combine all of that with the greater distances and
I feel better.

Fred

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Dr. C. Rubino <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A friend put one of these on his triumph and I was impressed. As you are
> aware
> our brake lights (BN-4) are small and low. With this connection you get a
> fast
> flashing light (blinking rapidly). You can program 36 different intervals
> and
> can be used with incandescent and LED lights. When the pedal is depressed
> it
> will flash a number of times then disable itself to a solid light with the
> flashing activated again after about 20 seconds if the pedal is pushed
> again.
> Seems simple to install. Anyone know of this or is using one?
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:59:43 +0200

These devices were very popular about 30 years ago in Europe. In the end 
they disappeared as they were considered illegal by the authorities as 
they were not homologated.
I think they are fairly effective but check your insurance company and 
the authorities first if they are allowed for public road use in your place.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Dr. C. Rubino schreef op 27-7-2014 16:10:
> A friend put one of these on his triumph and I was impressed. As you are aware
> our brake lights (BN-4) are small and low. With this connection you get a fast
> flashing light (blinking rapidly). You can program 36 different intervals and
> can be used with incandescent and LED lights. When the pedal is depressed it
> flashing activated again after about 20 seconds if the pedal is pushed again.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7928 - datum van uitgifte: 07/27/14

[email-masked]

---

From: Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 18:04:42 -0400

Flashing brake lights.......................put one on my Healey a few years
ago. Keeps the tailgaters at bay.

               http://www.flashingbrakelights.com/

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:10:51 -0400
> Subject: [Healeys] brake light flasher
>
aware
fast
and
it
again.
> Seems simple to install. Anyone know of this or is using one?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "White, Stephen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 22:10:42 +0000

The three flashes and then steady are what comes standard equipment on Texas
Choppers.  Although custom bikes, I imagine the builders have researched the
legality.   Definitely helps with visibility.

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Warren
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:05 PM
To: Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] brake light flasher

aware
fast
and
it
> will flash a number of times then disable itself to a solid light with
> the flashing activated again after about 20 seconds if the pedal is
> pushed
again.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual
> donation  $12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]