Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 11:11:37 +0200

You just opened a can of worms, splendid.
Although I think that the later 6-cilinder AH's looked better than the 
BN1, I always disliked that heavy lump of cast iron under the bonnet. 
What about a 6 in line BMW engine. Plenty of those around. I have seen 
some very neat conversions using that engine, especially in a Jensen 
541S which originally had a 4 liter 6 in line Austin engine. They had to 
fit much weaker front springs and alter the shocks but it resulted in a 
far better road behaviour and, not unimportant, the steering effort 
became much more manageable and pleasant.There should be a few Japs as 
well that can supply enough 6 in line grunt. I am not sure if 
Datsun/Nissan supplied any lightweight/aluminium 6 in line engines but 
if so it would keep it a bit in the family as Datsun more or less 
started life producing and developing/improving Austin products. I have 
heard that even the early (and perhaps later) in line sixes from 
Datsun/Nissan will match up with an Austin gearbox.
Do not forget the lightweight Buick derived Rover V-8 which should fit 
without to much bother and also has some relation to Austin.
There are probably some Australian engines as well that are suitable but 
I do not know anything of those.
Not only did BMC self destruct, the entire UK car industry did. Only 
some assembly from foreign cars left: e.g. Nissan and Mini (BMW) plus 
some niche manufacturers mostly in in foreign ownership, e.g. Lotus, 
Rolls Royce, Morgan
Kees Oudesluijs

Larry Varley schreef op 6-7-2014 9:57:
> I think it's time that the list had a healthy debate, and some fun. I 
> would propose that the only real Austin Healey was the BN1, designed 
> by Donald Healey and Gerry Coker. Everything after that was BMC, who 
> never made a decent car after the 50's, just using what they had to 
> keep producing the cars, that were for some part good ideas, but bad 
> design. The mini was a great idea, but mix the gearbox oil with the 
> engine? Oh dear. The BN2 with a extra gear in a much heavier gearbox 
> that really added no extra performance, then the 100-6 with that 
> horribly heavy engine and no more grunt. Why would anyone do that, and 
> just ruin the balance of the car? Ok after that they added the 12 port 
> head to it, but the sixes at their best are really ponderous in the 
> steering department relative to the BN1, which is a nibble well 
> balance car. I'm going so far as to use an alloy block in my BT7 to 
> turn it back into a descend handling car and restore the weight 
> balance. BMC basically self destructed, while the rest of the world 
> moved forward, what a shame.
> Cheers
> Larry Varley
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7805 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 07/06/14
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:29:01 +1000

I agree, Kees, it took the Japanese manufacturers to step in to produce 
a decent gearbox, and while they did copy some good designs, they did 
pick the right ones to copy. Why didn't BMC roll out the alloy rally 
block into production? It would certainly have improved the 6 cylinder cars!
Cheers
Larry Varley
On 6/07/2014 7:11 PM, Oudesluys wrote:
> 541S which originally had a 4 liter 6 in line Austin engine. They had 
> to fit much weaker front springs and alter the shocks but it resulted 
> in a far better road behaviour and, not unimportant, the steering 
> effort became much more manageable and pleasant.There should be a few 
> Japs as well that can supply enough 6 in line grunt. I am not sure if 
> started life producing and developing/improving Austin products. I 
> have heard that even the early (and perhaps later) in line sixes from 
> There are probably some Australian engines as well that are suitable 
> but I do not know anything of those.
>> horribly heavy engine and no more grunt. Why would anyone do that, 
>> and just ruin the balance of the car? Ok after that they added the 12 
>> port head to it, but the sixes at their best are really ponderous in 
>> the steering department relative to the BN1, which is a nibble well 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2014.0.4716 / Virus Database: 3986/7805 - Release Date: 07/06/14

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 07:30:10 -0400

BMC set the direction - standardizing on the 6 cylinder (because the 4 
cylinder was supposedly going out of production), but Donald and Geoff 
did the design, not BMC.

Let's not forget the Sprite, nor the MGs.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 07/06/2014 03:57 AM, Larry Varley wrote:
> would propose that the only real Austin Healey was the BN1, designed by
> Donald Healey and Gerry Coker. Everything after that was BMC, who never
> made a decent car after the 50's, just using what they had to keep
> producing the cars, that were for some part good ideas, but bad design.
> The mini was a great idea, but mix the gearbox oil with the engine? Oh
> dear. The BN2 with a extra gear in a much heavier gearbox that really
> added no extra performance, then the 100-6 with that horribly heavy
> engine and no more grunt. Why would anyone do that, and just ruin the
> balance of the car? Ok after that they added the 12 port head to it, but
> the sixes at their best are really ponderous in the steering department
> relative to the BN1, which is a nibble well balance car. I'm going so
> far as to use an alloy block in my BT7 to turn it back into a descend
> handling car and restore the weight balance. BMC basically self
> destructed, while the rest of the world moved forward, what a shame.
> Cheers
> Larry Varley
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 08:46:57 -0400

Larry,

You'd have to include the Frogeye Sprite as well.  Designed by Donald and
Gerry it was totally original.  And Donald often said it was his favorite
Healey.  Unless you don't consider the Sprite a "real" Healey.  In that
case, we can have a whole other debate,

Cheers,
Rick

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Larry Varley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> producing the cars, that were for some part good ideas, but bad design. The
> mini was a great idea, but mix the gearbox oil with the engine? Oh dear.
> The BN2 with a extra gear in a much heavier gearbox that really added no
> extra performance, then the 100-6 with that horribly heavy engine and no
> more grunt. Why would anyone do that, and just ruin the balance of the car?
> Ok after that they added the 12 port head to it, but the sixes at their
> best are really ponderous in the steering department relative to the BN1,
> which is a nibble well balance car. I'm going so far as to use an alloy
> block in my BT7 to turn it back into a descend handling car and restore the
> weight balance. BMC basically self destructed, while the rest of the world
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 22:51:20 +1000

G'day

Actually the first "real" Healey was built in late 1945 while the last
"real" Healey was built in 1954. You blokes are referring to Austin-Healeys
not Healeys.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
HealeyRick
Sent: Sunday, 6 July 2014 10:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Fwd: Healeys

Larry,

Cheers,
Rick

> design. The mini was a great idea, but mix the gearbox oil with the
engine? Oh dear.
> The BN2 with a extra gear in a much heavier gearbox that really added 
> no extra performance, then the 100-6 with that horribly heavy engine 
> and no more grunt. Why would anyone do that, and just ruin the balance of
the car?
> Ok after that they added the 12 port head to it, but the sixes at 
> their best are really ponderous in the steering department relative to 
> the BN1, which is a nibble well balance car. I'm going so far as to 
> use an alloy block in my BT7 to turn it back into a descend handling 
> car and restore the weight balance. BMC basically self destructed, 
> while the rest of the world moved forward, what a shame.
> Cheers
> Larry Varley
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual 
> donation  $12.75
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 22:44:41 +1000

Lol, happy to include the sprite, great looking car, boring after the 
bugeye, but who would design that stupid little hose that goes from the 
head to the block and is near impossible to change without taking the 
head off! And how long does it take to work out that putting a ball race 
on each end of the gearbox cluster will mean you can rebuild it without 
replacing the gear!
P.S. I know we all love them because they look and sound wonderful, but 
they did bring themselves undone.
Cheers
Larry

On 6/07/2014 10:46 PM, HealeyRick wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
> -----

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 09:04:36 -0400

Tom,

Marty Jule actually put a supercharged V12 Jag in a 100.  It's pretty
amazing:  http://www.jule-enterprises.com/projects/100-4-v12-supercharged/

Seems funny to be talking about "re-engineered" Healeys while we're
remembering Rich Chrysler,who seemed to prefer his Healeys as they left the
factory.  His presence on the list is truly missed.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Tom Felts <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I believe it was Jule, from the Jule frame place, who installed a 3.8L Jag
> engine in his Healey--not sure of the year.  I remember driving to Ashville
> and he blowing past us at a fast pace.  That engine took up every bit of
> space under the bonnet.
>
> tom
> ---- Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> =============
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 23:01:45 +1000

Patrick, I stand humbly corrected.......
Cheers

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 09:14:00 -0400

But the BN1 was a "Healey" before it became an "AUstin-Healey".  I'm so
confused.

Cheers,
Rick

[email-masked]

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 14:25:18 +0000

By that definition the last real Healey was the Healey 100 prototype which was
miraculously converted to an Austin Healey overnight at the 1952 Earls Court
auto show.

Bill Lawrence

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 22:51:20 +1000
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fwd:  Healeys
>
> G'day
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:33:39 +1000

Gbday

When there was a Healey 100 there was no such thing as a BN1. Such model
designations as BN1 through to BJ8 were given by BMC as they were part of the
Corporations designation system.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

From: HealeyRick [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, 6 July 2014 11:14 PM
To: Patrick & Caroline Quinn
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fwd: Healeys

Cheers,

Rick

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Patrick & Caroline Quinn <[email-masked]>
wrote:

G'day

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:41:51 +1000

G'day

The last real Healey was not the 100 that was shown in the1952 Earls Court
Motor Show, but the last Healey Tickford that left the Donald Healey Motor
Company on 25 June 1954. Also I am not including the Healey XR37 that was
built at Warwick for the 1970 Le Mans 24 hour.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, 7 July 2014 12:25 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Fwd: Healeys

By that definition the last real Healey was the Healey 100 prototype which
was miraculously converted to an Austin Healey overnight at the 1952 Earls
Court auto show.

Bill Lawrence

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 17:30:25 -0700

Haven't driven a BN1, and only put a few miles on our BN2/100M but can tell it's more nimble than my BJ8.  However, I 
think the BJ8 is a better touring car because, let's face it, we probably spend 80+% of the time on freeways and 
straight-as-a-section-line highways, and the big 6 is sweet music for the long, straight (boring) roads, and serviceable 
on the twisties.  The 3.54 diff helps a lot, too.

Bob

On 7/6/2014 12:57 AM, Larry Varley wrote:
> I think it's time that the list had a healthy debate, and some fun. I would propose that the only real Austin Healey 
> was the BN1, designed by Donald Healey and Gerry Coker. Everything after that was BMC, who never made a decent car 
> after the 50's, just using what they had to keep producing the cars, that were for some part good ideas, but bad 
> design. The mini was a great idea, but mix the gearbox oil with the engine? Oh dear. The BN2 with a extra gear in a 
> much heavier gearbox that really added no extra performance, then the 100-6 with that horribly heavy engine and no 
> more grunt. Why would anyone do that, and just ruin the balance of the car? Ok after that they added the 12 port head 
> to it, but the sixes at their best are really ponderous in the steering department relative to the BN1, which is a 
> nibble well balance car. I'm going so far as to use an alloy block in my BT7 to turn it back into a descend handling 
> car and restore the weight balance. BMC basically self destructed, while the rest of the world moved forward, what a 
> shame.
> Cheers
> Larry Varley

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Derek Job <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:09:16 +0100

Lots of revisionism and 20/20 hindsight going on here.

I don't think people realise just how bad the British economy was after the
war. Debt to GDP was far higher than it is even in today's indebted times.
When the 100 rolled out there was still food rationing, and plenty of other
things were rationed as well. The formation of BMC was a good idea, the
formation of BL wasn't.

The 2 plus 2 was actually a pretty clever marketing move, and it was aimed
squarely at the US market. I believe there is still a German company called
Porsche that makes a reasonably successful car with 2 very small seats in
the back.

The 4 cylinder engine was to be discontinued in the rationalisation of
engines into the A, B & C classifications. The C series was already
designed by Morris. There was no money available for a new engine to be
developed for a relatively small production car like the Austin Healey.

Derek

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:30 AM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Haven't driven a BN1, and only put a few miles on our BN2/100M but can
> tell it's more nimble than my BJ8.  However, I think the BJ8 is a better
> touring car because, let's face it, we probably spend 80+% of the time on
> freeways and straight-as-a-section-line highways, and the big 6 is sweet
> music for the long, straight (boring) roads, and serviceable on the
> twisties.  The 3.54 diff helps a lot, too.
>
> Bob
>
>
>
>
> options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Keith Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:31:55 +1000

THE LIST IS ALIVE AGAIN
When some wowser declared "FRIDAY FUNNIES" not Kosher a couple of years ago
the traffic dwindled
Why was one opinion so detrimental to the traffic volume If you think back
I am sure the number of posts slowly halved
I for one would log in just for the Funnies & get caught up in current
topics , Not wait until I had an assembly issue before
I logged on.

Keith Taylor
Umina Beach  OZ

BN1
BN2

On 7 July 2014 17:09, Derek Job <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 08:51:16 -0700

I miss the Friday funnies too.

John Spaur

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 15:53:59 +0000 (UTC)

I wasn't aware FF had been exorcised from the List. I can't believe any LBC owner is that thin-skinned (skinned knuckles, for sure). 

Who authorized such blasphemy? 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

From: "john" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Keith Taylor" <[email-masked]>, "healeys" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:51:16 AM 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys 

John Spaur 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 09:18:04 -0700

Yeah!  As I recall, one person, maybe two, complained.  To start things off 
a little early, here is a Tuesday Teaser from the Ron Owens radio show in 
2006 as submitted by Liz in Petaluma:

A Living Will

A  man and his wife were sitting in the living room and he said  to her, 
"Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state,  dependent 
on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull 
the plug."

His  wife  got  up,  unplugged  the TV and threw out all of his  beer

I say, Friday Funnies Forever!

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

---
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>
To: "john" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "healeys" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys

>I wasn't aware FF had been exorcised from the List. I can't believe any LBC 
>owner is that thin-skinned (skinned knuckles, for sure).
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 12:57:19 -0400

OH NO!!!!    The dreaded Friday Funnies.....

What is wrong with them?    Should be Tuesday and Thursday.

Bob

PS:  I have a fully functional delete key that gets a lot of use here and at 
other lists/groups.

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 13:05:56 -0400

As I remember, some of them got a little too political.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Len
and/or Marge Hartnett
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 12:18 PM
To: AH Mail List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys

A Living Will

A  man and his wife were sitting in the living room and he said  to her,
"Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state,  dependent on
some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the
plug."

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA

---
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>
To: "john" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "healeys" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 11:01:27 -0700

and racist and xenophobic. Some folks do not have filters for understanding
the impact of such jokes on others IMHO.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM, John Sims <[email-masked]> wrote:

> on
> > To: "Keith Taylor" <[email-masked]>, "healeys" <[email-masked]
> >
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 15:16:20 -0400

Yes it is amazing how few good jokes are 100% PC these days!!

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM, I Erbs <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 13:07:49 -0700

not so much a PC thing.... But sometimes that works as a guideline. Yes I
know about the delte key....There were some really off humor jokes. I will
now stand down from my high horse.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______

[email-masked]

---

From: Lynn And Jean Neff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 15:10:21 -0500

Is everyone vying to attain victim status now. Sorry, but why bother
expressing a watered down opinion that you don't really agree with in the
chance that someone might be offended. It's cobbling a statement by committee.
I can feel the flames coming !!!!!

Lynn Neff BT7

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 8, 2014, at 12:05 PM, "John Sims" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
on
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]