Subject: [Healeys] Possible contaminates in gas tank

From: R Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:09:30 -0400

The other day I was driving my '65 BJ8 on the highway and it happily
performed by any measure.  When I pulled off the highway and made my way to
a traffic light I had to sit through 2 cycles when it suddenly started to
run rough and stalled.  I was able to restart but it continued running
rough and then settled in.  The gas gauge red more than 1/4.  I don't have
a fuel filter and wonder if there might be something in the bottom of my
tank.

So:  Is a filter recommended, if so which one and how does one clean out a
tank?

Thanks for your help.

Ric
65 BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:12:31 -0700

Sounds like your fuel was boiling out of the float chambers.  How hot was it
outside?

Happens in my Jag XK  all the time at temps above 90 here.

I'd pick up a cheap transparent fuel filter and install it under the hood
where it is visible to rule out rust or sediment before I went through the
rest of the hassle.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of R
Phillips
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:10 PM
To: healeylist
Subject: [Healeys] Possible contaminates in gas tank

The other day I was driving my '65 BJ8 on the highway and it happily
performed by any measure.  When I pulled off the highway and made my way to
a traffic light I had to sit through 2 cycles when it suddenly started to
run rough and stalled.  I was able to restart but it continued running rough
and then settled in.  The gas gauge red more than 1/4.  I don't have a fuel
filter and wonder if there might be something in the bottom of my tank.

Thanks for your help.

Ric
65 BJ8
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]