Subject: Re: [Healeys] Safety gauge - resolved

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 19:13:38 -0700

The tech at Palo Alto Speedometer told me the bulb needs to have the correct
ether fill level; not too much or too little. The volume can vary depending
on the temperature when filled. When the gauge was repaired they noticed the
bulb may have had a "spot" of solder on it that may have damaged the bulb
when it was installed in the block.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, July 5, 2014 6:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Safety gauge - resolved

ether assumption is correct!!
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 10:10:08 +0200

The amount of ether in the bulb is not very critical. Any fluid has a 
specified vapour pressure at a specified temperature. This is what the 
gauge registers, it is a manometer that translates pressure to 
temperature on the scale.
As vapour pressure is independent from volume the amount of fluid does 
not matter, as long as the bulb and capillary is not completely filled 
up with fluid or if there is no fluid but just vapour.
Apparently there are several sorts of ether I was told by a chemist. He 
supplied me with some that is normally used in automotive gauges which I 
used for repairing a gauge.
Kees Oudesluijs

john schreef op 6-7-2014 4:13:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7803 - datum van uitgifte: 07/05/14

[email-masked]

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 12:07:12 -0700

Ether boils at 94.28 degrees F. At that point it would become a gas. If the
blub is under filled, the void would be occupied by gas. Would not gas
compress differently than liquid thus causing the gauge to read incorrectly
(low) if the ether vaporized inside of the blub and line?

John Spaur

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Oudesluys
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 1:10 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Safety gauge - resolved

The amount of ether in the bulb is not very critical. Any fluid has a
specified vapour pressure at a specified temperature. This is what the gauge
registers, it is a manometer that translates pressure to temperature on the
scale.
As vapour pressure is independent from volume the amount of fluid does not
matter, as long as the bulb and capillary is not completely filled up with
fluid or if there is no fluid but just vapour.
Apparently there are several sorts of ether I was told by a chemist. He
supplied me with some that is normally used in automotive gauges which I
used for repairing a gauge.
Kees Oudesluijs
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 15:55:12 -0400

Hi John,
As I understand it we are dealing with vapour pressure in a closed system.
Simply put as the ether boils the gas produced increases the pressure in
the closed system which in turn increases the boiling point of the ether
resulting in the boiling stopping but higher pressure in the system.
This higher pressure makes the Bordon tube straighten a little causing
deflection of the needle.
Temperature rises more the vapour pressure rises thus the gauge needle
deflects further.
Higher the temperature the further the needle deflects.
Please bear in mind that I failed first year physics!!!

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM, john <[email-masked]> wrote:

> gauge
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 13:04:50 -0700

Hi Michael,

I seem to recall gas molecules will expand to fill the void in a close system
or something similar like that which is why the volume of ether should not
matter to a certain degree. I still think if it is under filled the gas could
not make up for expansion space. However, I never did well in physics either.

Enough of this, I am taking my Healey down to my sisterbs house so I can go
for a drive and then swimming!

John

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Michael Salter
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:55 PM
To: john
Cc: Oudesluys; Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Safety gauge - resolved

Hi John,

Simply put as the ether boils the gas produced increases the pressure in the
closed system which in turn increases the boiling point of the ether resulting
in the boiling stopping but higher pressure in the system.
This higher pressure makes the Bordon tube straighten a little causing
deflection of the needle.
Temperature rises more the vapour pressure rises thus the gauge needle
deflects further.

Michael S

BN1 #174

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM, john <[email-masked]

John Spaur

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 1:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Safety gauge - resolved

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 22:22:23 +0200

The ether will boil at that temperature 94,3F/34,6C at atmospheric 
pressure, so from that point the vapour pressure will rise and the 
manometer will start to move in a closed system. As the 
temperature/pressure rises so the boiling point will increase (the 
higher the pressure the higher the boiling point), only a small part of 
the fluid will turn to vapour, to what is called the vapour pressure at 
the given temperature. Thus the higher the temperature the higher this 
vapour pressure which is registered by the manometer which in turn is 
calibrated to indicate the corresponding temperature.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

john schreef op 6-7-2014 21:07:
> Versie: 2014.0.4716 / Virusdatabase: 3986/7806 - datum van uitgifte: 07/06/14

[email-masked]