Subject: Re: [Healeys] Apple Hydraulics Rebuilt Rear Shock Links

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:30:15 +0000 (UTC)

I'm confused (granted, not an unusual condition). Are they saying to not cinch down tight the upper part of the link that connects to the axle? Preposterous. Aren't the rubber bushes meant to handle any flexing/twistin? 

I'd like to get Peter Caldwell's take on this. 

Bob 
----- Original Message -----

Listers may be interested to read the following email that I have sent to 
Apple Hydraulics today: 
Please read the following as this information is very important with 
respect to all Austin Healey rear shock links. 
You have attached to the links a red tag which states the following; 
"CASTLE NUT W/COTTER PIN SHOULD ONLY BE A SNUG FIT ON SHOCK ARM, AS THIS IS 
A PIVOT POINT - DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN 
TAPERED PIN CAN BE LOCKED DOWN TIGHT AT SUSPENSION END" 
I believe it would be remiss of me not to point out that this instruction 
is incorrect and that following it will cause damage to the vehicle. 
First the taper pin end of the link is fitted at the shock arm on all 
models of Austin Healey 100, 100/6 and 3000 Austin Healey and obviously 
should be fully tightened. 
The parallel stud end of the link is attached to the axle on all models of 
Austin Healey 100, 100/6 and 3000 and contrary to your recommendation 
should be fully tightened. This connection is not a pivot, as you indicate, 
and if this fixing is not fully tightened rapid wear of the pin and 
mounting hole in the axle bracket will occur as this point is not 
lubricated in any way. 
In addition please note the following with respect to the links for early 
Austin Healeys 100 prior to chassis number C221535 which use the spiral 
bevel differential. 
These vehicles are the only model of Austin Healey 100, 100/6 and 3000 
vehicles which use castellated nuts on the axle end of the shock links. 
I would strongly recommend that you *do not *to provide 7/16" - 20 UNF 
castellated nuts for use on these links as you did with mine. The threads 
on the axle end of these links is 7/16"- 18 BSF and the loose fitting UNF 
nut will strip long before full tightening torque is reached damaging the 
link. 
I would also suggest that you may want to contact those customers to whom 
you have sent this information to preclude the possibility that they may 
damage their vehicles by following your instructions. 

Michael S 
BBD Engineering 
_______________________________________________ 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "john" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:29:57 -0700

They rebuilt my shock links about three years ago and there was no warning
about this. They did not supply nuts. I installed them with standard nuts
and lock washers. After about 2500 miles in the last year they seem fine.

John Spaur
'62 BT7

[email-masked]