Subject: [Healeys] Apple Hydraulics Rebuilt Rear Shock Links

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:54:49 -0400

Listers may be interested to read the following email that I have sent to
Apple Hydraulics today:
Please read the following as this information is very important with
respect to all Austin Healey rear shock links.
You have attached to the links a red tag which states the following;
"CASTLE NUT W/COTTER PIN SHOULD ONLY BE A SNUG FIT ON SHOCK ARM, AS THIS IS
A PIVOT POINT - DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN
TAPERED PIN CAN BE LOCKED DOWN TIGHT AT SUSPENSION END"
I believe it would be remiss of me not to point out that this instruction
is incorrect and that following it will cause damage to the vehicle.
First the taper pin end of the link is fitted at the shock arm on all
models of Austin Healey 100, 100/6 and 3000 Austin Healey and obviously
should be fully tightened.
The parallel stud end of the link is attached to the axle on all models of
Austin Healey 100, 100/6 and 3000 and contrary to your recommendation
should be fully tightened. This connection is not a pivot, as you indicate,
and if this fixing is not fully tightened rapid wear of the pin and
mounting hole in the axle bracket will occur as this point is not
lubricated in any way.
In addition please note the following with respect to the links for early
Austin Healeys 100 prior to chassis number C221535 which use the spiral
bevel differential.
These vehicles are the only  model of Austin Healey 100, 100/6 and 3000
vehicles which use castellated nuts on the axle end of the shock links.
I would strongly recommend that you *do not *to provide 7/16" - 20 UNF
castellated nuts for use on these links as you did with mine. The threads
on the axle end of these links is 7/16"- 18 BSF and the loose fitting UNF
nut will strip long before full tightening torque is reached damaging the
link.
I would also suggest that you may want to contact those customers to whom
you have sent this information to preclude the possibility that they may
damage their vehicles by following your instructions.

Michael S
BBD Engineering
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys