Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive wiring confusion

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:12:34 -0400

Brian, it makes no difference which way the wires are connected to terminals
W2 and W1.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large

Havelock, NC  USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian
Drab
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 4:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive wiring confusion

My overdrive just stopped working the other day. It worked fine when I
parked the car (BJ8) and about an hour later when we drove off it wouldn't
go into OD.

I'm planning on checking all of the electrical before I go any deeper but
have run into a confusing situation. 

I went to John Simms site and got an excellent troubleshooting program of
it. There in is the problem. On his wiring diagram, it shows the OD relay
and it's connections. On the diagram it shows the ground going to W2  and
the W1 terminal going to the dash switch and the throttle switch. 

In the shop manual and other sources, it shows the W1 connection going to
ground and the W2 terminal being used for the dash switch and the throttle
switch in other words exactly backwards.

I really tend to believe the shop manual but would like to know if anyone
else has noticed this or experienced any problems with this.

Brian Drab

Vancouver BC

 <http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/bmp which had a name of Overdrive Electrics- Wires to W1 and W2 reversed.bmp]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Mike Garvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:21:22 -0400

Brian,
This does not answer your question, but there is a non-intrusive, low level
troubleshooting test that you can do that will tell you if part/most of the
electrical aspects of the OD are working. With the ignition on, but the
engine not running put the transmission in third or fourth; turn on the OD
switch. You should hear a solenoid click.  If not, there are likely
electrical problems.  If yes, the problem is more likely mechanical by
process of elimination.
Mike

Michael Garvey
1967 BJ8/38046
Swampscott, MA

-----Original Message-----

Brian Drab

Vancouver BC
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]