Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starters

From: "David Nock BCS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 08:34:25 -0700

Check the battery cut off switch first. When cranking the motor have someone 
touch the terminals on the switch and see if the are getting warm. If so 
there is a bad connection.  Also do this at the starter solenoid.

Also you can turn the headlights on and leave them on for about 5 minutes. 
Then go around and feel all the battery cable connections to see if any are 
warm. Battery pos and neg, battery switch, cable to frame, ground cable, 
starter solenoid. IF any are warm clean the connections first.

If all are good then you probably have a starter the is failing. I would 
recommend the gear reduction starters and remove the original starter 
solenoid.

David Nock
British Car Specialists
209-948-8767
www.britishcarspecialists.com
-----Original Message----- 
From: Fred Wescoe
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:23 AM
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Starters

Listers,

It appears that my starter is slowly dying.  It is operating slower and
slower with a fully charged battery.  Nothing seems to effect it, even
after a long drive, with a hot/warm engine the starter acts the same,
slower and slower.

Does it make sense to switch to the gear reduction starter or have this one
rebuilt, if that will improve performance.

What has been the experience of those who have made the switch?  What
actually is the benefit of the switch?  What sources are there for the
starter?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
63 BJ7
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:35:07 +0000 (UTC)

Sounds more like a weak battery to me. A 'fully charged' weak/old battery will give those symptoms; usually, starters go intermittent or fail outright. Have you load tested the battery? How old is it? 

It appears you really just want to get a GR starter. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

Listers, 

Thanks in advance, 

Fred 
63 BJ7 

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:09:25 +0200

Check the battery terminals, earth strap first. Than check the contacts 
of the starter relay. After that check/renew the brushes and skim the 
commuter or have the starter rebuilt.
Also apply a drop of oil regularly on the bearings (who does?).
Gear reduction starters sounds like a good idea initially but I hear a 
lot of stories about mediocre durability. Anyway the old starters did a 
good job for 45+ years so why change.
Kees Oudesluijs

Fred Wescoe schreef op 19-8-2014 17:23:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4745 / Virusdatabase: 4007/8064 - datum van uitgifte: 08/19/14

[email-masked]

---

From: 'bluehealey' <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:15:02 +0100

Damn that Lucas rubbish! It only gave 50 years of service. I guess the answer
is to buy an oriental alternative that sounds like a sewing machine and has no
history of survival rates.
Well, actually the answer is to make sure you have no points of high
resistance in the path from the battery, through the motor to earth (ground).
Make sure the battery is good and finally if all else fails rebuild the Lucas
starter.
JM2C's

AlanB - iPhone message.

> On 19 Aug 2014, at 16:35, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Sounds more like a weak battery to me. A 'fully charged' weak/old battery
will give those symptoms; usually, starters go intermittent or fail outright.
Have you load tested the battery? How old is it?
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:30:26 -0400

Hi Fred,
You have received lots of good advice but perhaps I can add one more
suggestion.
Clip one lead of a digital volt meter onto the terminal stud of the starter
and the other to the bolt where the ground strap attaches to the frame.
Operate the starter and check that you get at least 9 VDC as the engine
cranks.
More than 9 and the starter is slow means the starter is bad or the engine is
tight.
Less than 9 you have a battery, master switch, solenoid or cabling problem.
Michael S
BN1 #174

-----Original Message-----
From: "Fred Wescoe" <[email-masked]>
Sent: b8/b19/b2014 11:24 AM
To: "healeys" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] Starters

Listers,

Thanks in advance,

Fred
63 BJ7

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]