Subject: Re: [Healeys] dynamo alternator conversion

From: "Bluehealey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:24:14 +0100

Hi Josef
Your experience with regulators is much better than mine and many of my
friends in the Classic Car game.
I have nothing against modifying and upgrading our cars. However this
particular device (Dynamo/Alternator) appears to target those for whom
originality is important. The result is failure of both objectives; A fake
dynamo that isn't original and an alternator that isn't as good as a period
Lucas one.

To each their own.
  _________________________________________
(______________ Alan Bromfield_______________)
        (______\__1957-BN4__1959-AN5__/______)
                       (_____BlueHealey.com______)

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: 31 August 2014 09:48
To: Healeys, Forum
Subject: [Healeys] dynamo alternator conversion

 I can only say the regulators originally used for our Austin-Healeys, the
RB 106 and RB 340, are bullet proove and there is no issue at all with them.
I am an electronic engineer, but I do not think at all to switch on one of
my 5 classic cars to a solid state one. Generator output of the C45, C42 and
C40 generators are also more than sufficient for me and I also see no point
to change to a more powerful unit.
A generator, which did work for more than 25 years deserves a good overhaul
and all is fine for the next 25 years. A RB 106 and RB 340 which fails I
replace with a substitute, but I check and adjust them before I fit them. No
issues, even with the new ones coming from China.
The company I am working for sells a lot of these and I can only say we have
no issues.
PS: My personal opinion: Changinng to an alternator or modern replacements
is for those who have enough time to solve problems they create with the
mod. 

Josef Eckert
Germany

Of course, much like starter motors, Dynamos are excellent devices with
robust engineering and can be made to give pretty good output.  The big
issue with them however is the 'Heath Robinson' regulator which will at some
point malfunction and destroy the dynamo.
What is really needed is a good quality solid state regulator conversion
that will maximise the dynamo output and, if it should fail, do so safely.
That would have been (IMO) a better investment than a Korean alternator
machined to fit inside a dynamo shell.
Too often the vendor motivation appears to be to produce a gadget that will
have sales appeal, rather than identify and produce a true solution to a
problem. The high ratio starters are an example of that thinking, being a
solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

BlueHealey Alan - from my iPad
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Ulla & Sven Ordell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:44:38 +0200

Hi
If you want both original and an alternator such an animal was available
from BMC in the mk 3 period as an optional fitting on the Austin Healey and
also fitted to certain 1800s. This was positive earth. So go chase one.

Regards
Sven
Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Fren: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] Fvr Bluehealey
Skickat: den 31 augusti 2014 16:24
Till: [email-masked]; 'Healeys, Forum'
Dmne: Re: [Healeys] dynamo alternator conversion

Hi Josef

To each their own.

-----Original Message-----

Josef Eckert
Germany

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]