Subject: [Healeys] transmission / OD oil

From: MIKE LEWIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:14:36 -0400 (EDT)

Thought I would add that in the opinion of Healey trans/OD rebuilders like
Quantam Mechanics and Healey Surgeons best oil for the Healey Type A overdrive
is a non detergent, 30 or 40 weight. QM only recommends 30 wt from what I
understand. The other oils like 20w50 that contain the detergent additives are
not ideal for our overdrives.  I use 40 wt ND which you can get off of Amazon
as otherwise hard to find a 40 wt ND.  think 30 wt ND is available from
several sources.
Regards
Mike Lewis
1956 100M
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:31:32 -0400

I use Redline MTL---noticeable difference in smooth shifting.

tom
---- Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
SAE 30,40, 20W50 etc. is fine for OD gearboxes and gearboxes with 
brass/bronze parts like synchro rings or forks. Do not use EP80/90 as 
they may contain F, Cl and other elements based dopes that can be 
harmful to certain parts.

Kees Oudesluijs

MIKE LEWIS schreef op 25-8-2014 22:14:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4745 / Virusdatabase: 4007/8098 - datum van uitgifte: 08/25/14

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:33:39 -0400

For some reason, I was advised to use RL MTL in the Healey and MT90 in the Jag----------------------

not sure why.

---- Michael Oritt <[email-masked]> wrote: 

=============
Kees--

Over here at least the products that are corrosive to yellow metals are
labelled GL5 and are described as "Gear Oil", usually employing words such
as "High Pressure or "Extreme Pressure".

Some of these are rated as "GL4/5" but I am suspicious about their
suitability for either transmission or diff:  If they do not contain a mix
that gives "Extreme Pressure" protection they may or may not be okay for
brass parts but probably are not up to the loads that hypoid gears impose.
 OTOH if they are safe for the diff they might not be good for the
transmission for opposite reasons.

I'll stick with Redline MT90 in my transmissions, both street and track,
and any quality diff oil.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> brass/bronze parts like synchro rings or forks. Do not use EP80/90 as they
> may contain F, Cl and other elements based dopes that can be harmful to
> certain parts.
>
> Kees Oudesluijs
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]