Subject: Re: [Healeys] Satin Black

From: Tom Felts <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 21:40:52 -0400

A couple of good drives in the country and that gloss you saw will be dust colored---unless, of course, you don't drive it:)

tom
---- [email-masked] wrote: 

=============
 This is one of those questions where the answer is actually a bit more
complicated than the question. When we first wrote the standards, our
conclusions were that the suspension parts painted black had probably gotten a
quick coat of gloss black paint -- no one would have bothered to have several
different shades of black -- for rust protection during storage as much as for
any other reason, but that the color would obviously have dulled, perhaps even
by the time the car was shipped, much less sold -- after sitting in a dock
yard for days or weeks.

Given that a modern restoration would be using
materials that aren't going to change in nature -- especially if they're done
with techniques like powder coating, -- whatever you use at the outset is what
the color is going to be, so we recommended use of satin black, and I think
that's what Roger does on the restorations he works on. 

For my own taste, I
don't like the gleam of glossy black paint jumping out at me from underneath a
fender anyhow. It just doesn't look right.

For whatever it's worth, the
Mercedes-Benz concours committee also specifies satin black for suspension
parts.

G.

Gary Anderson
Editor-in-Chief, The Star Magazine
Mercedes-Benz
Club of America

Registrar, Austin-Healey Concours Registry

editor at large,
Austin-Healey Magazine

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 07:50:22 +1000From: "Patrick
& Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>To: "'Linwood Rose'"
<[email-masked]>, "'Healey List'"	<[email-masked]>Subject: Re:
[Healeys] Suspension components paint colorMessage-ID:
<[email-masked]>Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"G'day LinI have just redone the suspension on the BN3 in
satin black, however I willsay that when I first did it during the late 1970s
the original colour wasmetallic green, but I painted the lot in gloss black.I
read something recently as to how the suspension components were
paintedoriginally. Well they weren't painted but dipped into containers of
blackpaint that also contained water or some other liquid. The paint being
oilbased would float on top of the water and the after dipping the paint
wouldadhere to the part. I tried that but the result was a little less than
Iliked.Of course we all know that our restorations are to a standard that's
wayabove what the cars were like when they were new.Hoo RooPatrick QuinnBlue
Mountains, Australia-----
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys