Subject: [Healeys] How tight make poly bushings in lower a-arms?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:49:40 -0400 (EDT)

I also posted this on the British Car Forum

Yes I know most say stay with
rubber on the front lower a-arms but I have the poly ones and are going with
them for now.

I have done all the searches on the subject and cannot find
this question answered definitively.

How tight do you tighten the fulcrum
pin?

When using the original rubber bushings with the metal inner sleeve
insert (assuming they are the right size) you tighten the special fulcrum pins
until the special fulcrum washer bottoms into their respective slots on the
frame brackets. This should also coincide with the two rubber bushings mating
each other in the center of the a-arm. At this point the nut should be tight.
With poly bushing there is no center steel sleeve. So one could keep
tightening the nut squeezing the two frame brackets together even more as now
there is nothing to stop from doing this until you hit the shoulder of the
fulcrum pin. Also this would continue to squeeze the flange lips of the
bushings into possible deformation.

So when does one stop tightening? I did
read that when using the poly bushings the trick is to not over tighten them.
Can I assume that the correct tightness is when the special washer is seated
into its slot and then just snug the nut and install cotter pin? Or does one
need to tighten until the washers bottoms on the shoulder of the fulcrum pin.
I tested this on the bench and that is really tight.

Am I missing something
here in my analysis?

Thanks....Help!

jjs64bj8
Jeff
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys