Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Ignition knocking

From: "Roger Grace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:43:30 -0700

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/comments on the latest 123 tune 
electronic ignition where the curve points can be programmed via a pc and a 
usb port ... ??

-----Original Message----- 
From: lists
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:19 AM
To: Niels Bengaard
Cc: Healeys, Forum
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Ignition knocking

Hi Niels,

knocking is always a matter of multiple things. Octane, compression, 
ignition timing and load of engine (and maybe some more). So, if Tim Ward 
told you he's running his BJ8 on regular with no problems it is most likely 
that he had his ignition timing adjusted accordingly (i. e. retarded a bit).
An ignition timing of 15 deg BTDC @ idle is not wrong, but more important is 
the ignition timing while revving up the engine. If the springs in the 
bottom of your distributor have weakened (likely after having done their 
duty for years) and the ignition timing is set on idle you'll get most 
likely knocking in higher revs (dangerous, because it's likely not to be 
heard and it causes serious damage to your engine).
Possible solutions:
a) Have the springs replaced with new ones and the distributor "recurved" (a 
good source is Jeff Schlemmer @ http://advanceddistributors.com/)
b) Install an electronic ignition system like the 123ignition 
(http://www.brits-n-pieces.com/product-detail/123ignition-distributor-jaguar-austin-healey-aston-martin-triumph.aspx)
If you decide in favor of b), use carbon core cables, which are a much 
better choice with electronic ignition, even for our old cars.

Eric Frenken
Germany

Hi Josef

I have the copper wires. I use 99 octane in Denmark, not sure what regular
is in England, perhaps 95.
I met an Englishman, Tim Ward, with a golden Austin Healey BJ8, he was
running regular he said, with no problems.

Niels

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] Pe vegne af
[email-masked]
Sendt: 17. august 2014 21:03
Til: Healeys, Forum
Emne: [Healeys] BJ8 Ignition knocking

Hi Niels,
Six cylinder Austin-Healeys usually need todays super petrol, better super
plus 98 or 100 Octane, not Euro Super.
Your shock may be causeed by using wrong ignition cables with high
resistance. Don`t use carbon core cables. Much better are copper core cables
for our old cars.

Josef Eckert
Germany.

Was on holiday in UK this year with my BJ8. Have a couple of questions I
need your help me with.
I normally use super octane fuel but couldn&#x0012;t get it and filled up 
with
regular. I guess and old car with low compression should be able to use
regular, but big was my surprise when it started knocking under load at low
rpm in third and fourth. Filled up with super again and the problem
disappeared.
Checked the ignition when I returned home, it4s set at 15 deg BTDC @ 650rpm.
I recall having read somewhere that&#x0012;s the right number, so what is 
wrong.
Have altered it to 13 deg now on the little wheel on the distributor, did
that with the engine running, wow got a shock, high voltage in my arm. How
can that be, don&#x0012;t recall having had problems with that on other 
cars.

Niels
Denmark
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Niels Bengaard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:00:49 +0200

The distrubutor is refurbished and adjusted with the correct curve by
Distributor Doctor in UK in 2012.
I have some pictures here
http://healey.850r.dk/albums/Picture%20Album/album/Distributor/index.html
And the curve it has
http://healey.850r.dk/albums/Picture%20Album/album/Distributor/slides/ignitio
n.jpg .

Niels

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: lists [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sendt: 19. august 2014 10:20
Til: Niels Bengaard
Cc: Healeys, Forum
Emne: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Ignition knocking

Hi Niels,

knocking is always a matter of multiple things. Octane, compression, ignition
timing and load of engine (and maybe some more). So, if Tim Ward told you he's
running his BJ8 on regular with no problems it is most likely that he had his
ignition timing adjusted accordingly (i. e. retarded a bit).
An ignition timing of 15 deg BTDC @ idle is not wrong, but more important is
the ignition timing while revving up the engine. If the springs in the bottom
of your distributor have weakened (likely after having done their duty for
years) and the ignition timing is set on idle you'll get most likely knocking
in higher revs (dangerous, because it's likely not to be heard and it causes
serious damage to your engine).
Possible solutions:
a) Have the springs replaced with new ones and the distributor "recurved" (a
good source is Jeff Schlemmer @ http://advanceddistributors.com/)
b) Install an electronic ignition system like the 123ignition
(http://www.brits-n-pieces.com/product-detail/123ignition-distributor-jaguar-
austin-healey-aston-martin-triumph.aspx)
If you decide in favor of b), use carbon core cables, which are a much better
choice with electronic ignition, even for our old cars.

Eric Frenken
Germany

Hi Josef

I have the copper wires. I use 99 octane in Denmark, not sure what regular is
in England, perhaps 95.
I met an Englishman, Tim Ward, with a golden Austin Healey BJ8, he was running
regular he said, with no problems.

Niels

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----

Hi Niels,
Six cylinder Austin-Healeys usually need todays super petrol, better super
plus 98 or 100 Octane, not Euro Super.
Your shock may be causeed by using wrong ignition cables with high resistance.
Don`t use carbon core cables. Much better are copper core cables for our old
cars.

Josef Eckert
Germany.

Was on holiday in UK this year with my BJ8. Have a couple of questions I need
your help me with.
I normally use super octane fuel but couldn&#x0012;t get it and filled up with
regular. I guess and old car with low compression should be able to use
regular, but big was my surprise when it started knocking under load at low
rpm in third and fourth. Filled up with super again and the problem
disappeared.
Checked the ignition when I returned home, it4s set at 15 deg BTDC @ 650rpm.
I recall having read somewhere that&#x0012;s the right number, so what is
wrong.
Have altered it to 13 deg now on the little wheel on the distributor, did that
with the engine running, wow got a shock, high voltage in my arm. How can that
be, don&#x0012;t recall having had problems with that on other cars.

Niels
Denmark

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 19:33:30 +0200

Niels,

Did you actually check the curve? There are an awful lot of cowboys 
around in the automotive rebuilding world! I am not saying the 
Distributor Doctor is one but it is worth your while to check to make 
sure it is OK. The curve shown does not indicate anything drastic.
Was the head skimmed at some stage? Is there carbon build up in the 
combustion chambers. Is the mixture set OK. All areas that need 
attention. Remember these engines may be old but do have a relatively 
high compression and originally needed high octane petrol, the old super 
lead containing stuff. Modern HC cars can cope because of anti-knock 
electronics. No such thing of course on a Healey. Use Super plus or 
Excellium, Premium or what have you: 98 octane. This is available at any 
pump I no everywhere in Europe incl. the UK.
Kees Oudesluijs

Niels Bengaard schreef op 22-8-2014 18:00:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4745 / Virusdatabase: 4007/8080 - datum van uitgifte: 08/22/14

[email-masked]