Subject: Re: [Healeys] windshield

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:09:39 -0400

Hi Reinhart,
Any hints to clean the frame and the glass from silicone?
As I'm sure you have probably found out and as far as I know the only way
to remove silicone is by mechanical means... this makes it really difficult
to remove from the chrome channel but a razor will easily remove it from
the glass.
How is the upper part of the assembly taken apart? I only find some rivets
on the top of the frame. Do I have to drill them out? Are these standard
rivets or is there any special piece required?
I've just gone through this on #174.
Originally there were "L" shaped brackets in the 4 corners of the
windshield frame. Moss #805-050. Being a bit of a masochist I actually made
a set rather than buying them ....I would recommend buying them :-).
There are four 6BA countersunk slot screws in each bracket and the tapped
holes in the brackets for those screws have to be very accurately
positioned for the brackets to work correctly. also be sure to check that
the 4 countersunk holes in each of the 4 frame sections are in good
condition.
Originally Glass-Pak <http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionK/K26.pdf>was used
to install the windshield glass. This material, which apparently is raw
rubber, swells upon contact with engine oil gripping the glass into the
channel. In my experience Glass-Pak dries out over the years and the frame
becomes loose on the glass.
I'm contemplating using glazing urethane
<http://www.amazon.ca/3M-08693-Urethane-Windshield-Cartridge/dp/B000RW1XCK>
but the jury is still out...it is not original although I suspect that it
will be almost impossible to tell.

Michael S
BN1 #174

P.S. Two more things to keep in mind.
1. the aluminium posts must be secured to the windshield frame BEFORE you
install the glass.
2.  pads must be installed in the bottom of the channel to ensure that the
heads of the screws and the corner brackets to not contact the glass.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Reinhart Rosner <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> The weatherseal at the bottom of the windshield assembly on my 100 is torn
> at the sides. So I wanted to change it. And at the bottom of the windshield
> sometimes a little water finds its way between the glass and the frame. So
> change that at the same time.
>
>
>
> As one of the past owners did not use a rubber seal but did put silicone
> between frame and glass, it was very hard to separate frame and glass. I
> just finished the bottom side.
>
>
>
> My questions:
>
>
>
> Any hints to clean the frame and the glass from silicone?
>
>
>
> How is the upper part of the assembly taken apart? I only find some rivets
> on the top of the frame. Do I have to drill them out? Are these standard
> rivets or is there any special piece required?
>
>
>
> Any hints on reassembly? Especially for the rubber parts?
>
>
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>
>
> Reinhart
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Reinhart Rosner
>
> 55 100 BN 1
>
> Vienna - Austria
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Reinhart Rosner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:09:07 +0200

Hi Michael,
Thank you very much for these fantastic hints.
May I ask you and the rest of the list some additional questions?

Removing silicone
I have one of these special knifes to remove sticker from glass, where it did
work well. Unfortunately it does not fit in the chrome channel. I read that
baby oil, body lotion, rinsing liquid or ice should make it easier.
Nevertheless a matter of mechanical removing it.

Taking upper part apart
So the rivets on the upside of the frame where the top touches are obviously
wrong. I found these bracket at some of the European sources (cheapest seems
to be Cape International). Before taking the complete frame apart (now I only
took off the lower part) I am going to order these brackets and screws.
Does anyone have a detail picture available to post to me from the top of the
frame with the screws visible?

Reassembly
Already at home I have what is called bglazing rubberb. Is this the same
as Michael calls it Glass-Pak?

Glazing urethane is used additionally? I suppose between the glass and the
frame? Is there any European supplier for this stuff?
What kind of pads should be used in the bottom of the channel to avoid contact
between screws and glass? Is there any source for these or did you make them
yourself? If yes, from which material?
The last piece will be the rubber under the then finished assembly. It does
have an asymmetric cross-sectional view. Which side should look where to?

Reinhart

Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von
Michael Salter
Gesendet: Sonntag, 24. August 2014 18:10
An: Reinhart Rosner
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] windshield

Hi Reinhart,
Any hints to clean the frame and the glass from silicone?
As I'm sure you have probably found out and as far as I know the only way to
remove silicone is by mechanical means... this makes it really difficult to
remove from the chrome channel but a razor will easily remove it from the
glass.
How is the upper part of the assembly taken apart? I only find some rivets on
the top of the frame. Do I have to drill them out? Are these standard rivets
or is there any special piece required?

I've just gone through this on #174.
Originally there were "L" shaped brackets in the 4 corners of the windshield
frame. Moss #805-050. Being a bit of a masochist I actually made a set rather
than buying them ....I would recommend buying them :-).

There are four 6BA countersunk slot screws in each bracket and the tapped
holes in the brackets for those screws have to be very accurately positioned
for the brackets to work correctly. also be sure to check that the 4
countersunk holes in each of the 4 frame sections are in good condition.

Originally Glass-Pak  <http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionK/K26.pdf> was used

I'm contemplating using glazing urethane
<http://www.amazon.ca/3M-08693-Urethane-Windshield-Cartridge/dp/B000RW1XCK>
but the jury is still out...it is not original although I suspect that it will
be almost impossible to tell.

Michael S

BN1 #174

P.S. Two more things to keep in mind.
1. the aluminium posts must be secured to the windshield frame BEFORE you
install the glass.
2.  pads must be installed in the bottom of the channel to ensure that the
heads of the screws and the corner brackets to not contact the glass.
Archive:  <http://www.team.net/archive> http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  <http://www.team.net/forums> http://www.team.net/forums

 <http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Spaur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:29:19 -0700

I am not sure if the window brackets are the same as the ones for my BT7. I
bought new brackets and screws but did not use the brackets because they
were not a good fit. The screw holes did not line up the same because of the
way the brackets were bent. I re-plated and used the original ones.

Some silicone sealants are less resistant to oil. Soaking it in oil could
help.

Don't use glazing urethane unless you want a permanent assembly.

John
'62 BT7

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Reinhart
Rosner
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 8:09 AM
To: 'Michael Salter'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] windshield

Hi Michael,

Removing silicone
I have one of these special knifes to remove sticker from glass, where it
did work well. Unfortunately it does not fit in the chrome channel. I read
that baby oil, body lotion, rinsing liquid or ice should make it easier.
Nevertheless a matter of mechanical removing it.

Taking upper part apart
So the rivets on the upside of the frame where the top touches are obviously
wrong. I found these bracket at some of the European sources (cheapest seems
to be Cape International). Before taking the complete frame apart (now I
only took off the lower part) I am going to order these brackets and screws.
Does anyone have a detail picture available to post to me from the top of
the frame with the screws visible?

Reassembly

Glazing urethane is used additionally? I suppose between the glass and the
frame? Is there any European supplier for this stuff?
What kind of pads should be used in the bottom of the channel to avoid
contact between screws and glass? Is there any source for these or did you
make them yourself? If yes, from which material?
The last piece will be the rubber under the then finished assembly. It does
have an asymmetric cross-sectional view. Which side should look where to?

Reinhart

Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag
von Michael Salter
Gesendet: Sonntag, 24. August 2014 18:10
An: Reinhart Rosner
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] windshield

Hi Reinhart,

I've just gone through this on #174.
Originally there were "L" shaped brackets in the 4 corners of the windshield
frame. Moss #805-050. Being a bit of a masochist I actually made a set
rather than buying them ....I would recommend buying them :-).

Originally Glass-Pak  <http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionK/K26.pdf> was
used to install the windshield glass. This material, which apparently is raw
rubber, swells upon contact with engine oil gripping the glass into the
channel. In my experience Glass-Pak dries out over the years and the frame
becomes loose on the glass.

Michael S

BN1 #174

$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]