Subject: Re: [Healeys] Anodizeing

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 05:22:26 -0700

Oven Cleaner or Muriatic Acid

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Ray Juncal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:33:03 -0700

Thanks for all the help guys....I'm off to the store for oven cleaner and gloves.
Ray

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:22 AM, Jonas Payne <[email-masked]> wrote:

Jonas Payne

[email-masked]

---

From: "Herbert Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 15:28:09 -0500

You want a strong caustic solution. Here is how I have done it.
Buy a crystal drain cleaner with as much sodium hydroxide as possible such
as Red Devel or Roebic Crystal Drain Opener (100% sodium hydroxide)
Use a heat proof glass container as the reaction with water generates heat.
Mix the crystals into about 1/2 cup water. Add the crystals slowly until you
have a fairly strong mixture.
Clean trim of grease and oil. Brush the mixture on the part. You will see
that some areas will generate a soft white foam others will not. After a few
minutes rinse  in cold water and repeat until the whole piece generates a
soft white foam. Part is now bare aluminum.
A note on restoring cockpit trim or other aluminum trim. Most trim on old
cars will have numerous nicks and scratches. With nicks and scratches the
metal is still there, but it  is not in the right place. I have a very very
small ball peen hammer that can be used to move the high ridges of a scratch
or nick back into the valley of the scratch. Use very light taps to get it
as good as you can.  This will greatly reduce the amount of material removed
in sanding and polishing. You can reanodize if you like but  I did all the
cockpit trim and the side curtains on my Bugeye 4 years ago and left it
polished aluminum. Still looks great.

Herb Miller
AN5
BT7
BJ8   

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ray
Juncal
Sent: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 11:33 AM
To: Jonas Payne; 'Healeys'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Anodizeing

Thanks for all the help guys....I'm off to the store for oven cleaner and
gloves.
Ray

Jonas Payne
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]