Subject: [Healeys] 26C engines

From: "Peter Svilans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 11:25:24 -0400

Patrick and Andy,

<<   these three Pathe News films are well worthwhile. >>

Very worthwhile viewing indeed !  My head being totally stuck in the past, 
I thoroughly enjoyed watching them several times.

Remarkable how "rough and ready" the factories were in those days, with the 
furnace guys wearing everyday suit jackets and molten metal splashing 
around.  And the painter spraying without a mask like he was watering his 
garden.

I worked in a plant making car springs during high school, picking glowing 
red-hot spring leaves off the belt and punching holes in them.  For a joke, 
the guy behind would light old gloves and coffee cups into a merry blaze on 
the belt, and would laugh when your sleeve caught fire as you reached behind 
to pick up the next spring leaf.  The noise from the mini-furnaces on the 
lines was deafening,  probably 120 decibels or so ( used a decibel meter as 
part of my job years later). The day I started and shouted a comment about 
the noise, the foreman said:  "You get used to it.  If it bothers you, stick 
a bit of kleenex in your ears".  I can hardly hear the phone held up to my 
left ear now.

And remarkable too, how these same engines have held up over the decades and 
continue to provide so much enjoyment.

Thanks.
Peter 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys