Subject: [Healeys] Front Hub Dust Cap Tool Question

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:29:32 -0400

I'm slowly assembling a tool kit for #174 and I have a question.
The tools supplement of the guidelines includes the following note.
"Because the earlier dust cap's BSF stud threads were changed to UNF by
December, 1953, this tool only was made with UNF threads, and will not work
on earlier 100s "
Although both the dust caps on #174 were UNF thread and appeared to be
undisturbed I was quite happy to accept this until I found, upon reading
through the handbook for my car Publication Number 996, dated September
1953, on page 53 the following:
"*Front Road Wheel Hubs*: Unscrew the knock-on hub cap  and, using the
extractor provided, withdraw the grease cap from within the hub."
Well September 1953 is a good long time before December 1953.
I have also checked the parts book and found that there is only one number
for the dust cap, 1B4316, and that is applicable to all cars and one number
for the extractor tool, 1B4339, also applicable to all cars.
I do note that there is an Austin Service Journal Reference associated with
the extractor (24 Tools Pg2).
Does anyone out there have a copy of this edition of the Austin Journal
which may shed light on this anomaly?
Many thanks,
Michael S
BN1 #174
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys