Subject: [Healeys] Brass cupped freeze plugs

From: "teamhealeytexas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 22:12:39 -0500 {sentby:smtp auth 173.71.51.26 authed with [email-masked]}

Prepping my BT7 3000 for an upcoming race. No problems with the car, just
tightening all the loose nuts and bolts that always seem to become a bit loose
after a weekend's racing, changed the engine and transmission oil, and
generally cleaned things up. Finished everything, engine started right up.
While warming everything up I always take a look underneath, the car. Rats!
Water was dripping from the block. Two freeze plugs had corroded through. This
never happens prior to me prior to pulling the engine.

This of course meant removing all three webers, and the exhaust pipes.
Fortunately the culprit plugs were on the port side of the engine and were
relatively easy to get at. As a side note, with a race engine the racing rules
prohibits anti-freeze. No anti-freeze, no corrosion protection. Of course
steel freeze plugs are pretty easy to come by. However these plugs only seem
to last about 3 years for me, and I really wanted to use cupped brass plugs.
Couldn't find any through the regular Healey suppliers. However, I did find
the correct brass plugs for the 6 cylinder engine from other sources.

There are two sizes required for the 6 cylinder engines, 1 5/16" and 1 5/8".

I found the 1 5/8" brass cupped plugs at advancedautoparts.com.
  The part description is: Dorman - Pik-a-Nut Brass Cup Expansion Plug 1-5/8
In., Height 0.460 Part No 333082.1
I found the 1 5/16" brass cupped plugs at Class Motoring in Australia
www.classicmotoring.net.au
  These plugs (called Welch Plugs where folks drive on the wrong side of the
road) suit Mini 1275 (later).
  On their web site, do a search for:  Welch Plug - 1 5/16" Cup Type (Brass).
  When I checked their web-site today 8-30-2014, they show this part as sold
out (?). I donbt know if these plugs are sold domestically (USA). May be
worth while doing some investigation if you canbt get them from these
folks.
Once I had changed out the freeze/frost/core/welch plug (to suit everyonebs
style of english), replaced the engine oil, transmission fluid, differential
fluid, brake fluid, engine coolant, human coolant, and started the engine up,
I ran into a very serious problem that has me sorely vexed (highly miffed)!
Nothing leaked b except me! Ibm not sure how to fix this problem. Ibve
never had this occur in the past. Ibve read the manuals thoroughly, have 30
years experience with this car, conducted additional research on the internet.
My understanding of the correct operation has been verified b these engines
are supposed to leak b itbs not natural not to leak! Maybe Ibll have to
drill some small, unobtrusive drain holes to fix the problem.

Yball take care, ek?

Fred Crowley
Team Healey Texas
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys