Subject: [Healeys] How tight make fulcrum pin bolts with poly bushhes?.....Sorry if this is a repost

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 10:55:03 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry if this gets posted twice as first post did not seem to appear.
............................

I also posted this on the British Car Forum
Yes I know most say stay with rubber on the front lower a-arms but I have the
poly ones and are going with them for now.

I have done all the searches on
the subject and cannot find this question answered definitively.

How tight do
you tighten the fulcrum pin?

When using the original rubber bushings with the
metal inner sleeve insert (assuming they are the right size) you tighten the
special fulcrum pins until the special fulcrum washer bottoms into their
respective slots on the frame brackets. This should also coincide with the two
rubber bushings mating each other in the center of the a-arm. At this point
the nut should be tight. 

With poly bushing there is no center steel sleeve.
So one could keep tightening the nut squeezing the two frame brackets together
even more as now there is nothing to stop from doing this until you hit the
shoulder of the fulcrum pin. Also this would continue to squeeze the flange
lips of the bushings into possible deformation.

So when does one stop
tightening? I did read that when using the poly bushings the trick is to not
over tighten them. 

Can I assume that the correct tightness is when the
special washer is seated into its slot and then just snug the nut and install
cotter pin? Or does one need to tighten until the washers bottoms on the
shoulder of the fulcrum pin. I tested this on the bench and that is really
tight.

Am I missing something here in my analysis?

Thanks....Help!
jjs64bj8
Jeff
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys