Subject: Re: [Healeys] mallory dual point distributors

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 01:21:05 +0000

Bob

The Mallory dual point that I have has hard fiber rub blocks on the points were they contact the cam. I have seen felt pads on distributors before but the intent was to aid in lubing the cam to points interface. 

Aloha 

Perry

Sent from Windows Mail

Bob wrote:

Listers,
I was a bit surprised to see that on this dizzy, there is a felt pad 
between the cam and each follower.  Would think that the relatively 
"soft" felt might affect the gap over time.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:55:55 +0200

The problem with points in general is that the pad on the cam follower 
is made of some kind of plastic these days which wears relatively fast. 
Originally this was a fiber matarial that could hold some lubricant 
(apply a dab of grease on the pad) and lasted much longer, one could 
file the points several times before the pad showed any signs of wear. 
If you were very meticulous you soaked the pad in oil for a while and 
applied a dab of grease on the cam before fitting.
The felt pad you noticed was a good idea to keep the cam follower 
lubricated, but you have to put a drop of oil on it (and the top felt 
pad on the shaft and the bearings of the advance weights) once in a 
while. Most people forget or ignore this and then complain about a worn 
distributor. If maintained properly they hardly wear.
Forget about an original distributor and fit an electronic distributor 
for reliability instead, Petronix, 1-2-3-ignition with several fixed 
advance curves or the latest one with a pc programmable advance curve, 
perhaps even the extremely cheap Stealth with fixed advance curve or the 
slightly dearer option also with programmable advance curve.
One thing not to forget though is to lubricate these as well. Although 
the manufacturers claim it is fit and forget, it ain't.
The dual point Mallory is unnecessarily complicated to set up and 
maintain, the original set up can be troublesome and for both you simply 
cannot get the proper points any more unless you find NOS.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Bob Haskell schreef op 23-9-2014 0:00:
> Listers,
>
> A friend has an 100 LeMans with a Mallory dual point dizzy (I don't 
> have the model #).  Had some issues with it recently; condenser failed 
> and the gaps don't look right.  Not knowing what other issues there 
> might be, I sent Jeff Schlemmer at Advance Distributors an email to 
> see if he refurbishes them.  I was a bit surprised at his reply:
>
> "A typical Mallory rebuild runs $200-250 plus tune-up parts and will 
> only hold its advance curve for about 1 driving season. You're better 
> off investing in an original distributor for a lower cost rebuild and 
> a longer lasting product."
>
> Thoughts?  Experiences?
> Cheers,
> Bob Haskell
> AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
> http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4765 / Virusdatabase: 4025/8257 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 09/22/14

[email-masked]