Subject: [Healeys] Wheeler Dealers and the Like

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:17:10 -0400

I like Wheeler-Dealers because Ed always includes some basic tips on
diagnosing and fixing basic problems, like brakes, or transmissions, or
suspensions.

The other program that does the same thing very very well is
All-Girls Garage.

Incidentally, both of these shows, which pretend to be
peeks into ongoing businesses, are simply TV programs that are put together as
sets of shows. I wonder if Ed even HAS a garage of his own. The All-Girls
garage is just a TV studio they use to film an entire series, then the three
go off to different parts of the country.

Incidentally, the one show I find
totally useless for valuable information is Chasing Classic Cars.

G>
Gary Anderson
Editor at Large
Austin-Healey Magazine
----------------------------------------------------------------------Message:
1Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:28:54 -0400From: Kent McLean
<[email-masked]>To: [email-masked]: Re: [Healeys]
Chasing CarsMessage-ID: <[email-masked]>Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowedLou G wrote:> Typical used car
dealer hype...>> My favorite: Wheeler Dealers on Velocity--> They make $400
profit & they're ecstatic !I don't think they factor in Edd China's labor.
They total up parts and materials, outside sourced work, and the cost of the
car, but I don't recall seeing Edd's hours. It seems like he works for free.
It makes for a good show, though.  I like, too, that they do all sorts of
cars, including a Sprite.-- Kent McLean'56 100 BN2
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Charlie Schott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:29:15 -0700

Would someone please tell me what kind of lube I should put into the 
steering box on a 1960 BT7. Thanks.

Regards,

Charlie Schott

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:45:43 -0700

Heeeeeeeeeere we go!

80W-90 (or 85W-90, or 90W-140, etc.) gear oil works fine, if the box is well-sealed (fresh bush and seal).  If not, 
Penrite steering box lube has been recommended, as well as a John Deere tractor grease whose name escapes me.  Have seen 
STP recommended as well.

IMO, use gear oil unless the box leaks badly.

Bob

On 9/16/2014 8:29 PM, Charlie Schott wrote:
> Would someone please tell me what kind of lube I should put into the steering box on a 1960 BT7. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charlie Schott
>
>
>

-- 
*******************************************************************
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            [email-masked]

*******************************************************************
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Jean Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 04:30:19 +0000

Charlie:
As someone suggested if your box does not leak, even after replacing your seal
it sometimes leak due to wear on the shaft, use John Deere Corn Head grease,
you can buy it at just about any John Deere dealer, it is a very light grease
and works well in all temperature, this was recommended to me by Bob Yule from
Autofarm, he's used this for several years now with good results, I have had
mine lubed that way for at least two years and it works great no leaks.

Jean

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:29:15 -0700
> Subject: [Healeys] Steering box
>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/vintage_roadster_restoration@ho
tmail.com
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:16:17 +1000

G'day Charlie

Penrite make a lubricant specifically for steering boxes. Used to be in a
bottle, but it now comes in a grease tube for use with greasing guns. It's
really heavy stuff and is as black as the inside of a dead bear's bum.

Have a look at:-

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=14&id_products=90

Penrite is an Australian company that has distributors in the US. I have
used it for some years and thinks it's great. I don't own the company but
they do send me a million dollars everytime they sell it in the US.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob
Spidell
Sent: Wednesday, 17 September 2014 1:46 PM
To: Charlie Schott; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering box

Heeeeeeeeeere we go!

80W-90 (or 85W-90, or 90W-140, etc.) gear oil works fine, if the box is
well-sealed (fresh bush and seal).  If not, Penrite steering box lube has
been recommended, as well as a John Deere tractor grease whose name escapes
me.  Have seen STP recommended as well.

Bob

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:24:46 +0000

Does that make Penrite bearend grease?  Itbs only 7:30 am here so let it sink in a bit!

Aloha

Perry

Partrick wrote:black as the inside of a dead bear's bum.
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Spaur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:08:46 -0700

Google Land Rover swivel lube.

John Spaur
'62 BT7

[email-masked]