Subject: [Healeys] LEDs for reflector conversion

From: "Healey Bruce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 07:59:44 -0700

After the MR11 halogen bulbs began to melt my reflector lens, I set about to
replace them with LEDs.  After much searching I found units from
SuperbrightLEDs.com that will work with the polarized bayonet sockets from
the original conversion.  

If anyone who has done the conversion using the MR11 halogens is interested
in switching to LEDs, they are 1142-x19 single intensity dual contact 19
LED, part 1142-R19-WV red, 100 degree bulbs @ $6.99 each.  The profile of
the LED bulb is different from that of the halogen-more bell shaped than
conical-and the diameter is smaller, so they are not as neat a fit in the
reflectors and the hole in the rubber will probably be too big.  You can
either get new rubber backings and cut new holes, or secure the LEDs using
something like 3M strip caulk, which is what I did.  BTW, the article on LED
lighting in the July-August Austin Healey Magazine was very helpful in
understanding why red LEDs are needed.

While I was at it, I also converted my instrument lights to LEDs.  British
Car Specialists sells LED bulbs with screw-in bases that are a direct
replacement so you don't need to wire in new sockets.

Bruce

Brea, CA

1960 BN7
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys