Subject: [Healeys] Spark/no spark condition

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 17:26:24 -0400

I am stumped.

First the basics.  1963 BJ7.  Changed to negative ground 30 years ago.
Changed to an alternator 30 years ago.  Installed Pertronix ignition many
years ago, red wire to the + post of the coil, the black wire to the - post
of the coil.  The + coil post has the white wire from the battery cutoff
switch and the switch is on.  Plug wires are tight and the coil wire is
firmly connected to the coil and the cap.  Interior of the cap is clean of
carbon.

Here is the problem:  on # 1 plug, sometimes I get spark but most of the
time I do not.  I checked all of the plug wires and the results are the
same.  Some times spark, usually none.

Also, a puzzler, there is a yellow (could be originally white?) wire with a
black tracer and the wire is just hanging loose below the distributor, the
coil, the horn and the alternator.  There are no missing connections that I
can see.  The loose wire has a black rectangular plastic push on connector
on it.  My 11" x 17" color wiring  diagram does not show this wire or any
other yellow (white?) wire with a black tracer.

Anyone have ideas on the no spark/sometime spark issue?  Where does the
loose yellow/black wire go?  What else do I need to check?

Thanks,

Fred
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Jonas Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 14:40:18 -0700

If it's just #1 I'd suggest a broken spark plug wire or an issue with the plug
or cap.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 9, 2014, at 2:26 PM, Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I am stumped.
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Fred Wescoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 17:45:43 -0400

Jonas

The spark/no spark is the same on all plugs.

Fred

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Jonas Payne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If it's just #1 I'd suggest a broken spark plug wire or an issue with the
> plug or cap.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Kent McLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:41:42 -0400

Richard Ewald wrote:
> If I had your car and an ignition scope, I could nail this in less than 5
> minutes.

There's an app for that!  I haven't tried any of them, don't know how 
well they work, but they are cheap. Here's one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oscilloscope/id388636804?mt=8

-- 
Kent McLean
'56 100 BN2

[email-masked]