Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure problem

From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 21:34:49 -0700

HMJ:  My search for the cause of low oil pressure ended up at the top of my 
engine.  I removed the valve cover to see if I was getting excess oil at the 
rockers.  What I discovered was that the washer under the banjo fitting at 
the oil tube from the head to the rocker arm was split and passing a large 
flow of oil.  I replaced the washer and gained oil pressure.  I am currently 
getting about about 60 psi cold, 45 psi at 180 degrees engine temp cruising 
at 70 mph on the Interstate (oops!  I mean 65 mph, officer  ;-)  ).

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:18 PM
Subject: [Healeys] oil pressure problem

>a while back i had mentioned a newly rebuilt bt7 engine that had very low 
>oil pressure.  after doing all the obvious external investigations to no 
>avail, we dropped the pan and tried to plastigage the rods.  here is where 
>we discovered the problem.  the plastigage would not even flatten out.  i 
>checked all big ends and they were all loose as a goose.  pulled all rod 
>caps and discovered that even though crank stated it was .020 reground and 
>mains were .020 undersize, all six rods had .010 bearings.  new bearings 
>were installed and now  at operating temp the oil pressure is over 30 psi 
>at about 1000 rpm.  all is well, right?  wrong.  we cannot figure out why 
>even at high rpm we cannot get over 50psi pressure on a cold engine using 
>two different guages.  we even put some washers behind a brand new relief 
>valve and spring with no success.  the owner is going to live with it, but 
>sure would be nice to know what is happening.  could it be a gallery leak 
>we could not find or something i hav
> e never heard of.  would really like to know.
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Chris Dimmock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:04:29 +1000

Hi, just home from my honey moon Healey road trip.
That's another story. A great story, and all happy!!
So Jim, I'll ask you one question...
County??
Ok. Bonus Question 2.
You know they are County, but they have another Indian brand name??
If yes, to either, you have your answer.
They aren't bearings.
They are strips of curved metal.
Just like the last peaches tin you chucked in the bin. If you cut it into
curved strips? Did that make it into a precision bearing?
If it isn't a county bearing (10 thou out is a clue, not actually round is
another...) then I'd be speaking to your crank grinder....
Bearings are a precision fit.
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

> On 12 Sep 2014, at 12:18 pm, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
oil pressure.  after doing all the obvious external investigations to no
avail, we dropped the pan and tried to plastigage the rods.  here is where we
discovered the problem.  the plastigage would not even flatten out.  i checked
all big ends and they were all loose as a goose.  pulled all rod caps and
discovered that even though crank stated it was .020 reground and mains were
.020 undersize, all six rods had .010 bearings.  new bearings were installed
and now  at operating temp the oil pressure is over 30 psi at about 1000 rpm.
all is well, right?  wrong.  we cannot figure out why even at high rpm we
cannot get over 50psi pressure on a cold engine using two different guages.
we even put some washers behind a brand new relief valve and spring with no
success.  the owner is going to live with it, but sure would be nice to know
what is happening.  could it be a gallery leak we could not find or something
i hav
> e never heard of.  would really like

[email-masked]

---

From: J Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:33:15 +1000

A mate of mine had an issue when he seized his original engine .  He
purchased a reconditioned 6 cyl engine with only five conrods and
pistons.The bores and crank were great. No worries that particular
Saturday afternoon he went to the original engine that had seized its
engine thro lack of oil supply and selected the piston and conrod from the
end of the crank that was not as brilliant blue as the other five
piston/rods and reassembled the 'new' engine ready for Saturday night out.
Small problem was that the reco engine's crank was freshly ground
undersize and the original was worn out standard.Therefore the oil
pressure and rattles were not acceptable. Again no worries, he packed the
back of the crap bearing shell with good old wholesome Kellogs cornflakes
packet. ( you must use a proven brand name cardboard)  Lasted long enough
to sell it!!!!!!!  That was a long time ago and we have all moved on a
bit!!!!

Happy marriage Chris, I am glad you took the Healey on the honeymoon.
That9s what I did x many years ago. And to keep it interesting my brand
new fully reco engine revved to 6000+ on start up and so I never saw more
than 15psi cold and when hot it showed 10 - 12 psi. That9s when I pulled
into the service station and purchased $1 of fuel and ran the free water
through the radiator until the gauge showed 15psi again. It was only a two
week driving honeymoon. I then drove the BN.4 to work each day from Jan.
to Easter before I could re-build it.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 08:40:26 +1000

G'day Chris

Congratulations to you and Dina from us both. We knew it was coming, but
didn't know when. That's wonderful news.

Best wishes

Patrick & Caroline Quinn
ps Also did an AH honeymoon trip 39 years ago in a superior four-cylinder
car.

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chris
Dimmock
Sent: Friday, 12 September 2014 11:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure problem

Sent from my iPhone

mains were
and now  at operating temp the oil pressure is over 30 psi at about 1000
rpm.
what is happening.  could it be a gallery leak we could not find or
something i hav
> e never heard of.  would really like
$12.75

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:44:19 +0200

Did you check the journals (big ends and mains) on ovality? Did you use
plasti-gauge on all journals at several positions?
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4765 / Virusdatabase: 4015/8188 - datum van uitgifte:
09/10/14
> Interne Virusdatabase is verouderd.

[email-masked]

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 00:53:35 +0000

That's why I have ACL engine bearings for sale for 6 cylinder Healeys.  My
supply is declining so those who want top quality engine bearings should
contact me.  When they're gone, they're gone.

Richard

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:04:29 +1000
> CC: [email-masked]
we
rpm.
> what is happening.  could it be a gallery leak we could not find or
something