Subject: [Healeys] Engine pulled out of '59 100-6 BN4

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 12:24:37 -0500

I need some advice. I am overhauling the numbers  matching engine, and while
it is out, I want to strip the engine bay, sandblast it and repaint. There is
bubbling rust at the bottom of both doors, a little on the sills and the
bottom of the dog legs on the rear quarters. I am having those items removed
and having the body man weld in new patch panels. The frame is in excellent
shape along with the rest of the car. The paint on the frame is peeling.  I
really don't want to remove the front fenders as they are in great shape with
good paint. The car is two tone so it will be easy to repaint the coves where
the patch panels will be.  Is the best way to prep the engine bay and frame is
to take it down to bare metal?  I don't own a sandblaster--by the time I buy
the equipment, I could probably hire it done cheaper. I doubt I can wire brush
every nook and cranny. And how soon should the bare metal be painted here in
humid Iowa?

Regarding the front panels which are in great shape, I want this done right,
but I heard it is a pain to remove and refit the front panels.  Do you feel I
can do the engine bay and frame justice if I try to refurbish that area
without removing the front panels?  I apologize for the lengthy email!!

Sent from my iPhone
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys