Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine pulled out of '59 100-6 BN4

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 13:06:30 -0700

Any bare metal should be primered immediately as rusting begins within
seconds.... Or so it seems

Ira Erbs
Portland,OR
IT Educator and Consultant
sent from my smartphone. what you get, May not be what I meant to send
On Sep 1, 2014 10:24 AM, "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I need some advice. I am overhauling the numbers  matching engine, and
> while
> it is out, I want to strip the engine bay, sandblast it and repaint. There
> is
> bubbling rust at the bottom of both doors, a little on the sills and the
> bottom of the dog legs on the rear quarters. I am having those items
> removed
> and having the body man weld in new patch panels. The frame is in excellent
> shape along with the rest of the car. The paint on the frame is peeling.  I
> really don't want to remove the front fenders as they are in great shape
> with
> good paint. The car is two tone so it will be easy to repaint the coves
> where
> the patch panels will be.  Is the best way to prep the engine bay and
> frame is
> to take it down to bare metal?  I don't own a sandblaster--by the time I
> buy
> the equipment, I could probably hire it done cheaper. I doubt I can wire
> brush
> every nook and cranny. And how soon should the bare metal be painted here
> in
> humid Iowa?
>
> Regarding the front panels which are in great shape, I want this done
> right,
> but I heard it is a pain to remove and refit the front panels.  Do you
> feel I
> can do the engine bay and frame justice if I try to refurbish that area
> without removing the front panels?  I apologize for the lengthy email!!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 19:09:27 -0500

That sure makes timing difficult on organizing the sandblasting and then the
painting.  How many hours does one estimate to remove the front fenders,
considering the headlights and grill? And I see the windshield would need
removal also.

Sent from my iPhone
Chris Scholz OD

> On Sep 1, 2014, at 3:05 PM, "I Erbs" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
while
is
removed
with
where
>> the patch panels will be.  Is the best way to prep the engine bay and frame
is
buy
brush
in
right,
>> but I heard it is a pain to remove and refit the front panels.  Do you feel
I

[email-masked]

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:35:01 +1000

G'day Chris

This is exactly what I did with the BN3 when the engine disgraced itself a
couple of years back. Stripped it back completely from the cockpit forward.
The only things left on were the front shroud and dash.

The engine bay wasn't sand blasted but cleaned multiple times with a water
blaster and then cleaned by hand with a wire brush, degreaser etc etc. Only
when I was completely happy with the surface was it taken away to be painted
with the express instructions to leave the Donald Healey Motor Company
installed concave firewall and dents in place.

I should say that I had previously restored the car in the early 1980s when
it was blasted.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chris
Scholz
Sent: Tuesday, 2 September 2014 3:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Engine pulled out of '59 100-6 BN4

I need some advice. I am overhauling the numbers  matching engine, and while
it is out, I want to strip the engine bay, sandblast it and repaint. There
is bubbling rust at the bottom of both doors, a little on the sills and the
bottom of the dog legs on the rear quarters. I am having those items removed
and having the body man weld in new patch panels. The frame is in excellent
shape along with the rest of the car. The paint on the frame is peeling.  I
really don't want to remove the front fenders as they are in great shape
with good paint. The car is two tone so it will be easy to repaint the coves
where the patch panels will be.  Is the best way to prep the engine bay and
frame is to take it down to bare metal?  I don't own a sandblaster--by the
time I buy the equipment, I could probably hire it done cheaper. I doubt I
can wire brush every nook and cranny. And how soon should the bare metal be
painted here in humid Iowa?

Regarding the front panels which are in great shape, I want this done right,
but I heard it is a pain to remove and refit the front panels.  Do you feel
I can do the engine bay and frame justice if I try to refurbish that area
without removing the front panels?  I apologize for the lengthy email!!

Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 01:16:49 +0000

Project requires removing the doors to get the front fenders off. Time required to remove parts depends on when was the last time they where removed.  From a couple hours to weeks!

Aloha

Perry

[email-masked]

---

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 21:35:49 -0500

It must have been restored in the 80's or 90's so I am guessing since
everything is in such good shape that they will come off ok.

I want to leave the front shroud and dash in place for sure.  I wonder how
hard it will be to hook up the fresh air supply with the shroud in place.

Sent from my iPhone
Chris Scholz OD

> On Sep 1, 2014, at 8:20 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Project requires removing the doors to get the front fenders off. Time
required to remove parts depends on when was the last time they where removed.
>From a couple hours to weeks!
> Aloha
> Perry

[email-masked]