Subject: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 14:02:21 +0100

1) I had my original rad recored and it was more efficient. (Only did it
because the old one was knackered).
2) A sleeved thermostat, per the originals, does help. I was able to get
some, correct temp, from a Morgan man on eBay.
3) I now have a new rad from Ahead4Healeys, here in UK. It's copper but they
claim it to be higher performance than the originals ie it's presumably got
more core(s). (Installed as part of the repairs after that clown backed into
me).
4) The previous rad had been seeping where it had a blanking plug per rads
which had temp sensor in rad. I took out the plug, cleaned the thread, wound
on some ptfe tape and refitted it. (All in the hope that the rad could be
reused and more because I was in a hurry to get car back on road for trip to
Ireland). Anyhow, my efforts or the (maybe a bit) stronger coolant or the
accident had disturbed the solder/braze and the plug leaked big time.

I throw these into the knowledge pool...ie watch those plugs and look out
for sleeved thermostats.
Talking of plugs and pun intended....a quick plug for Ahead4Healeys. They
are most helpful, carry decent stock and will expedite when emergency
didtates.
Simon
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Steven Kingsbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 16:55:02 +0000 (GMT)

Bob,
I am using a multi-blade fan that I got from David Nock. It works really well
and I am also going to be changing the thermostat very soon as I haven't done
that as of yet and I will see how that affects the whole situation. My car has
run hot from when I got it almost ten years ago now and I kept to original
radiator just in case some day I might make the car more than a driver. But
she's just too much fun to drive not to give her the best chance of staying
cool and going down the road.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598

On Oct 14, 2014, at 08:15 AM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Cool :)   FWIW, that's pretty much how my BJ8 behaves with a stock radiator
and Texas Cooler fan.  Are you running a stock BN1 fan?
>
> On a side note, does anyone know why our cars routinely run under the
thermostat set point?  For example, I have a 180degF thermostat in my BJ8, and
on not-hot days on the freeway it may run around 160degF.  Under warmer
conditions with more of a load it'll hold 180 until stuck in traffic, etc.
then goes up 10-20 degrees.  The thermostat should stay closed until reaching
the set point--e.g. 180--then open and maintain that temperature until the the
radiator can no longer, well, radiate all the heat produced by the engine.  Is
it possible our engines are being air-cooled enough to stay under the
thermostat set point under benign temp and load conditions?
> Bob
> o;?

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Kingsbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 16:58:23 +0000 (GMT)

Kees,
The temp sensor is in the radiator, top, passenger side. I'm pretty sure my
thermostat is not functioning correctly and a new one is on order. As soon as
I have it installed and we get some more hot weather, I'll report back on my
findings of driving up hill in the heat.
Steveno;?

On Oct 14, 2014, at 11:21 PM, Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Steve, where is the temperature sensor on your car as it surprises me
> that the temp reading is lower than the opening temp of the thermostat.
> The temp in the tophose/top radiator should be a tad over the opening temp.
> Kees Oudesluijs
>
>
> BJ8Healeys schreef op 14-10-2014 21:18:
>        > I have a radiator with a modern core in my BJ8. It is really the
only thing
>        > I've ever found that would keep the temperature down in the cooling
system.
>        > I also have a NOS AC sleeved thermostat (thanks, Kees!) rated at
187 deg. F.
>        > After the installation of the radiator, my car routinely has run
between 170
>        > and 180 on the road unless it's a really hot day or in a traffic
backup and
>        > it might then go 190 - 200 for a short period but drops down
quickly with
>        > more airflow through the radiator.
>        > With the sleeved thermostat, I can also see the thing function. For
about
>        > the first 50 miles, the temp needle will move toward 190 and as
soon as it
>        > gets there it will drop back to about 160. It continues cycling
until a
>        > stable temperature is reached, typically 170 - 180. I guess the
modern core
>        > can cool sufficiently to keep the thermostat mostly closed under
coolish
>        > ambient conditions.
>        >
>        > Steve Byers
>        > HBJ8L/36666
>        > BJ8 Registry
>        > AHCA Delegate at Large
>        > Havelock, NC USA
>        >
>        > -----Original Message-----
>        > From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Bob
>        > Spidell
>        > Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:15 AM
>        > To: Steven Kingsbury
>        > Cc: healeys
>        > Subject: Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator
>        >
>        > thermostat set point? For example, I have a 180degF thermostat in
my BJ8,
>        > and on not-hot days on the freeway it may run around 160degF. Under
warmer
>        > the set point--e.g. 180--then open and maintain that temperature
until the
>        > the radiator can no longer, well, radiate all the heat produced by
the
>        > engine. Is it possible our engines are being air-cooled enough to
stay under
>        > the thermostat set point under benign temp and load conditions?
>        >
>        > Bob
>        > Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>        > Suggested annual donation $12.75
>        > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>        >
>        > [email-masked]
>        > Unsubscribe/Manage:
[email-masked]'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudeslu
[email-masked]
>        >
>        >
>        >
>        > -----
>        > Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
>        > Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
>        > Versie: 2014.0.4765 / Virusdatabase: 4040/8387 - datum van
uitgifte: 10/14/14
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
[email-masked]'>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys
/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 21:12:04 +0200

Steven,
You can check the thermostat very simply by immersing it in a pan of 
water and slowly heat up on the gas/electric stove. Let a mercury 
thermometer (1000C +) dangle in the water without it touching the bottom 
of the pan. Just note at which temperature the thermostat starts to open.
Cheers,
Kees

Steven Kingsbury schreef op 15-10-2014 18:58:
Kees,
The temp sensor is in the radiator, top, passenger side. I'm pretty sure 
my thermostat is not functioning correctly and a new one is on order. As 
soon as I have it installed and we get some more hot weather, I'll 
report back on my findings of driving up hill in the heat.
Steven

[email-masked]