Subject: [Healeys] Adding a starter relay question

From: Linwood Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:51:43 -0400

For those who are more knowledgable than I regarding automotive electrical
systems (that should just about include most of you!), I have a question.
The application is not a Healey but I figure someone here will know.

If I wanted to add a starter relay to the ignition/starter wiring system
system. Should the relay go between the solenoid and the starter button, or
should it go between the ignition switch and the starter button? I assume it
should go between the solenoid and the starter button thereby relieving both
the button and the switch. However, I know it is always better to ask than
assume.

Thank you!
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:13:20 -0400

Hi Lin,
Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve with a starter relay.
The starter solenoid is in of itself a relay for the starter motor.
Installing a relay to power the solenoid directly rather than all the
current (probably less than 1 amp) going through the START button seems
like unnecessary complication.
I've never seen a burned out Lucas START button.
Am I missing something?

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Linwood Rose <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:18:30 -0700

The starter solenoid is a relay, and the new style gear reduction starters
either don't need one, or it's built in so you'd bypass the clunky old
"solenoid".

> the button and the switch. However, I know it is always better to ask than
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]