Subject: [Healeys] pointless points

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:13:24 +1100

Hi Guys, I enjoyed the discussion about dwell and the history with 
Lucas, I believe points are in fact history and the best small 
modification that can be made to any car with points is to replace them 
with a breaker-less system. There are a few options out there and some 
can be fitted to an original distributor. Keep in mind that any change 
in points gap alters your ignition timing, so from the time you fit new 
points your on a down hill slope in engine tuning as the rubbing block 
wears or the points arc effectively changing the gap. With a 
breaker-less system it becomes almost set and forget, no side load on 
the distributor cam will also reduce wear. The systems available with a 
slip on to the distributor trigger and a sensor that replaces the points 
base plate mean you can keep your points should it ever fail, and you 
can still use your original coil. Some modern technology is worth 
adopting for the sake of efficient engine operation, in my opinion this 
is one of them.
Cheers
Larry Varley
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys