Subject: Re: [Healeys] AF meter SU tuning

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:46:57 +0200

What oil do you use in the dashpots? One should use thin oil like 3in1 
(best and cheap) or the special stuff sold for the purpose.
Kees Oudesluijs

[email-masked] schreef op 13-10-2014 4:55:
> I have had my three wire O2sensors and AirFuel meter for quite a while but now thought I have the time to do something about the readings.
> I have a mostly stock BJ8 with Kirk headers, 10%ethanol. With stock needles, I cruise one meter segment LED rich at sea level and at 2000 feet, the next richer meter segment is flickering. Not so bad, I guess. The faster I go, the richer I get in a gradual manner. However, when I climb a hill during the cruise at around 70mph, the meter goes dead lean (one LED from zero). It usually shows completely lean at hard acceleration also.
> 40mph cruise gives the same one LED rich as at 70.
> So should I get some weaker springs first or try for a needle that tapers to rich faster after the cruise?
> The web stuff I see says to try the needles.
> Ken Freese
> 65 BJ8
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> -----
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
> Versie: 2014.0.4765 / Virusdatabase: 4040/8379 - datum van uitgifte: 10/13/14
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: 'bluehealey' <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:53:03 +0100

This sounds like the float bowls running low at WOT (wide open throttle).
I have a 3wire sensor in my down pipes too and have found that standard
springs and needles are pretty much spot on in a BJ8 spec.

AlanB - iPhone message.

> On 13 Oct 2014, at 03:55, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> I have had my three wire O2sensors and AirFuel meter for quite a while but
now thought I have the time to do something about the readings.
> I have a mostly stock BJ8 with Kirk headers, 10%ethanol. With stock needles,
I cruise one meter segment LED rich at sea level and at 2000 feet, the next
richer meter segment is flickering. Not so bad, I guess. The faster I go, the
richer I get in a gradual manner. However, when I climb a hill during the
cruise at around 70mph, the meter goes dead lean (one LED from zero). It
usually shows completely lean at hard acceleration also.
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Roger Grace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:59:44 -0700

This is very interesting to me, as now that have converted my '67 BJ8 to -ve
ground, one of my Winter projects is to install a pair of Bosch wideband O2 
sensors.
So would really like to hear of your experiences when you did this, and what
sensors and monitoring equipment you are using ? Assume that you have
installed 2 sensors and have 2 monitors or do you switch ? How difficult was
it to install the bung for mounting the sensors ? Innovate are supposedly 
coming out with a new model where you can monitor data on your phone.
As you have reported, this really does give a true indication of the SU
tuning at WOT and under load and cruising conditions; when all is said and 
done the usual SU tuning
is done near idle and relies on the needle profile and springs etc. being 
correct
for your engine, fuel, altitude and how you drive.
I do agree with "Blue Healy"  that what you have reported seems to point to
some fuel starvation at WOT -  SU and AH surely did not get the profile sooo 
wrong.
Any input on this topic much appreciated.
rg

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:55 PM
To: healeys
Subject: [Healeys] AF meter SU tuning

I have had my three wire O2sensors and AirFuel meter for quite a while but 
now thought I have the time to do something about the readings.
I have a mostly stock BJ8 with Kirk headers, 10%ethanol. With stock needles, 
I cruise one meter segment LED rich at sea level and at 2000 feet, the next 
richer meter segment is flickering. Not so bad, I guess. The faster I go, 
the richer I get in a gradual manner. However, when I climb a hill during 
the cruise at around 70mph, the meter goes dead lean (one LED from zero). It 
usually shows completely lean at hard acceleration also.
40mph cruise gives the same one LED rich as at 70.
So should I get some weaker springs first or try for a needle that tapers to 
rich faster after the cruise?
The web stuff I see says to try the needles.
Ken Freese
65 BJ8
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]