Subject: Re: [Healeys] 4 hours in London

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 23:32:01 -0700

I spent most of last year in Windsor (near London).

There a fish/chip shops everywhere. Different styles for different tastes.

Time Out is the local's resource for most everything:
http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/londons-best-fish-and-chip-restaura
nts

But if you know you want high quality (the cheap stuff is great once you get
used to it) Harrod's food hall has the best everything!

Harrod's will put you in a great area of town. Kensington my a be a bit busy
for a big shopping street but you'll be real close to Chelsea which has King's
road.

On Oct 5, 2014, at 10:57 PM, I Erbs wrote:

> Howdy,
> I just booked a flight to Israel for June/July 2015. I have a 10 hour
> layover at Heathrow. I figure that gives me 4-5 hours to visit London. My
> wife and I were disappointed with the fish and chips we found on our last
> visit. Can someone recommend a propper chipper? We will then plan out visit
> around that.   I'm also up for a quick pint if anyone wants to join us.
> Cheers.
>
> Ira Erbs
> Portland,OR
> IT Educator and Consultant
> sent from my smartphone. what you get, May not be what I meant to send
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Peter Dzwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 10:42:39 +0100

> used to it) Harrod's food hall has the best everything!

do NOT touch Harrods for Fish and Chips. Kensington doesn't do F&C in any real
way! There are one or two good chippies in Fulham and Chelsea (though not on the
main roads) and around Chelsea football ground itself. Most good chippies fry in
the evenings only which will probably clash with your schedule.

If you can find one SeaFare is a good chain, but I don't know whether there is
one around Heathrow. You could try Ealing or Uxbridge, neither of which are
tourist areas.

Peter

-- 

===========================================================
Dr Peter Dzwig				
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 08:01:41 -0700

Well, I was just putting you into "London". That timeout list is pretty much
spot on. They can all vary depending on how much grease you want. For many,
that grease is key. Harrod's is too expensive.

Where ever you go, ask/wait for a fresh batch of chips.

Outer areas that are still close enough to allow a bit of sightseeing are
Fulham and a bit further west like Hammersmith where you'll find lots of
places, lots of chains. In that area is also a serious classic car dealer with
a very high end showroom and "museum": http://www.landmarkcars.co.uk/

[email-masked]

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:16:08 +0200

Wilko2 schreef op 6-10-2014 17:01:
> Where ever you go, ask/wait for a fresh batch of chips
Traditionally it should be soggy chips and vinegar in yesterdays paper, 
chaps.

Kees Oudesluijs

[email-masked]

---

From: I Erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 10:20:21 -0700

Kees,
 I agree.
I guess I did not mean to start a "best oil" debate on Fish and Chips. It
is interesting to see folks opinions though. I have begun a internet search
on best places to eat Fish and Chips. Some overlap between sites and list
suggestions. we will now look for other things to do in the areas around
the food.
Cheers
Please keep suggestions coming. You can email off list. This is really
interesting to me.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
   _______                                  _______
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Oudesluys <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wilko2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 10:46:13 -0700

What didn't you like about what you got? what would you think of as "good"
fish and chips?

Maybe just jam around and try a bunch? if it's crappy, just put 'em down and
move on!

The east end will have a bunch.

In Windsor there was a Neptune's (chain) real close to our flat. Some times it
was great, some times not so much. We'd get chicken there, or just chips.

[email-masked]