Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear shocks, rebuilds or telescopic conversion

From: "John Sims" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:54:47 -0400

I used World Wide auto Parts in Wisconsin for my rears. They are guaranteed
not to leak.

http://www.nosimport.com/

 Only on a thousand miles or so before I sold my BN6 so do not know if they
last HOWEVER they are highly recommended.

John Sims
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Simon
Lachlan
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 12:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Rear shocks, rebuilds or telescopic conversion

I've been giving my MkII BT7 a very thorough - by my standards at least -
service...........

The only major issue, so far, is that both rear shocks appear to have lost
quite a bit of fluid in the last +/- 3,500 miles. I had them off 3,500 miles
ago; their action was poor but did greatly improve with replacing the old
fluid with new. The old fluid was pretty foul and there wasn't much of it.

(1)    I have heard that most shock absorber "rebuilds" are unsatisfactory
and presume that there are no new ones available. Any comments so far?  

(2)    I am tempted by the idea of a telescopic conversion. Specifically
from Ahead4Healeys:-

http://www.ahead4healeys.co.uk/TELESCOPIC-REAR-SUSPENSION-KIT-id3779.aspx

Does anyone have any experience of this product or its equivalent(s). I
looked at the one from Cape International which looks similar, a little
cheaper and a trifle flimsy:-

http://www.cape-international.com/capeshop.php?parttypes=36
<http://www.cape-international.com/capeshop.php?parttypes=36&thepart=RTC>
&thepart=RTC

Anyone know this one?  Or anyone else's?

Any general comments re rear shocks?

(I am based in the UK).

Thanks,

Simon
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:32:48 -0600

I'll second that recommendation. Having said that, I finally put the 
telescoping shocks on the rear of my 100 and really liked them..
dave
On 10/26/2014 11:54 AM, John Sims wrote:
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Earl Kagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 11:46:42 -0700

Simon:

I agree with John re: World Wide for rebuilding the original shocks - many 
people on this side of the pond have had great success with them.  I have to 
think that there would be someone competent in the UK at rebuilding these 
shocks.  There is nothing wrong with the original lever arm shocks on these 
cars if they are in good condition (along with the rest of the chassis 
suspension components.)

Having said that, there is another option using specifically designed 
Bilstein shocks for the big Healey:

http://www.putzkes-fahrspass.com/eng/kits.html

Udo is a long time big Healey owner and has a background as a suspension 
engineer - his kit is well designed.  I installed one (both front and rear) 
on my recently completed BJ8 (phase II) and am quite pleased with the ride 
quality of the car.  I know several Healey owners that have installed these 
Bilstein kits in big Healey's over the years - everyone that I know of that 
has done so has been pleased with car afterwards.  I believe that it would 
be worth your while to investigate this conversion kit.

I'm not sure of the advisability of doing only the rear - someone more 
qualified than I would have to comment on that.  You don't want to risk the 
potential of unsafe handling!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

-----Original Message----- 
From: Simon Lachlan
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Rear shocks, rebuilds or telescopic conversion

(I am based in the UK).

Thanks,

Simon

[email-masked]