Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Door Lock Plate R&R

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:03:40 +0000 (UTC)

Mike, 

If you're referring to the large, Posidrive screws they are retained by a captive, tapped nut plate behind the shut pillar. It won't fall out, but slides around a little. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

The door lock plate (Moss terms) on my BJ8 needs work: the round pin is worn 
and loose on its mount. I can buy a replacement lock plate; my question has 
to do with the anatomy of the fasteners inside what I think is called the 
"shut pillar". Before I remove the screws that hold the lock plate on, I 
want to be sure that they don't fall into some deep crevice. 
Advice welcome.. 
Thanks, Mike 

Michael Garvey 
1967 BJ8/38046 
Swampscott, MA 
_______________________________________________ 
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: John Vrugtman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:03:41 -0400

There is a tapped steel plate behind the shut pillar, it can be reached 
from inside the fender well.
John
BJ8s

On 10/14/2014 12:53 PM, Mike Garvey wrote:
> S

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:03:55 -0400

If Mike is using Moss terms then the plate that he is referring to is on
the door not the door post.
The plate with the sliding shoe which is held to the door post by two
countersunk Phillips screws is the striker.
The lock plate(s) [original part numbers AHB9532/3] are secured to the
door, together with the door lock (the thing with the rotating horseshoe
catch on it), by four 3/16 countersunk screws.
I believe that there are cage nuts welded into the rear frame of the door
but it is a long time since I had one of those apart so perhaps there is
someone out there who could confirm that for Mike.
*From memory* I believe Mike is correct to be a little cautious because if
the caged nuts turn in their cages they are somewhat difficult to access.

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Mike Garvey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mike Garvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:51:42 -0400

Sorry I was not clear; the part that I am referring to is not on the door.  I
think I have enough info to proceed.  Thanks to all.
Mike

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Michael Salter
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:04 PM
To: Mike Garvey
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Door Lock Plate R&R

If Mike is using Moss terms then the plate that he is referring to is on the
door not the door post.
The plate with the sliding shoe which is held to the door post by two
countersunk Phillips screws is the striker.
The lock plate(s) [original part numbers AHB9532/3] are secured to the door,
together with the door lock (the thing with the rotating horseshoe catch on
it), by four 3/16 countersunk screws.
I believe that there are cage nuts welded into the rear frame of the door but
it is a long time since I had one of those apart so perhaps there is someone
out there who could confirm that for Mike.
>From memory I believe Mike is correct to be a little cautious because if the
caged nuts turn in their cages they are somewhat difficult to access.

Michael S
BN1 #174

Michael Garvey
1967 BJ8/38046
Swampscott, MA

[email-masked]

[email-masked]