Subject: [Healeys] Adding a starter relay question

From: Linwood Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:53:39 -0400

Thank you Michael and Rick. I withdraw my question. :-)

> For those who are more knowledgable than I regarding automotive electrical
> systems (that should just about include most of you!), I have a question.
> The application is not a Healey but I figure someone here will know.
>
> If I wanted to add a starter relay to the ignition/starter wiring system
> system. Should the relay go between the solenoid and the starter button, or
> should it go between the ignition switch and the starter button? I assume
it
> should go between the solenoid and the starter button thereby relieving
both
> the button and the switch. However, I know it is always better to ask than
> assume.
>
> Thank you!

Lin
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:56:09 -0700

FWIW lots of modern cars have starter relays between the ignition switch
and the solenoid, so the idea of adding one to an old car is not that
outrageous.
If you do add one, it would go between the starter button and the solenoid.

A quick Google seems to show that a start solenoid draws in the
neighborhood of 8-10A with the pull in windings, and less with the hold in
windings.
I can tell you a starter relay on a modern car is designed for
substantially more current that your average relay.
compare the terminals on this relay
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/idi/250658_primary.jpg The
small terminal on the left is the same as your average relay, fits a
standard spade terminal, look at the high current terminal on the right, it
is over twice as wide, designed for much higher current.
If you need to know how to wire it feel free to drop me a line.
Rick

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Linwood Rose <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]