Subject: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 front disc brake conversion

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:13:38 -0600

Greetings,

I am looking for advice on converting my front drums to discs. Keeping my wire
wheels. Any vendor?  I see some use Willwood discs. Who makes the brackets?  I
will also have rear discs with a narrowed after-market rear end and have to
figure out some kind of proportioning valve.  Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Don Anglesey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:34:12 -0700

I used Dennis Welch on my 57' 100-6 and am very satisfied with their
conversion kit.
Don

--- Original Message ---

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Sent: November 26, 2014 12:14 PM
To: "healeys" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 front disc brake conversion

Greetings,

I am looking for advice on converting my front drums to discs. Keeping my
wire
wheels. Any vendor?  I see some use Willwood discs. Who makes the brackets?
I
will also have rear discs with a narrowed after-market rear end and have to
figure out some kind of proportioning valve.  Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:09:36 -0600

Thanks. I know they are pricey. So is AH spares. If that is the best route,
then that is where I will order. Not sure where I could find 3000 discs to
bolt up.

Sent from my iPhone
Chris Scholz OD

> On Nov 26, 2014, at 1:34 PM, "Don Anglesey" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
conversion kit.
wire
I
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

[email-masked]

---

From: Don Anglesey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:07:41 -0700

Bp northwest also carries a kit might save some shipping costs.

http://www.bpnorthwest.com/disc-brake-kit-austin-healey-bn2-to-bn6.html

There is a article on the net that goes into detail on what to search for at
junkyards but can't seem to find right now.  I did it several years back and
it was expensive then, around $2,000 as I recall but I did rear springs and
misc parts in one big order.
Don
57' BN4

--- Original Message ---

From: "Chris Scholz" <[email-masked]>
Sent: November 26, 2014 1:09 PM
To: "Don Anglesey" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "healeys" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 front disc brake conversion

Sent from my iPhone
Chris Scholz OD

conversion kit.
wire
I

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:56:49 -0800

Chris Scholz wrote:

<<<

The easiest way is to buy the kit from Denis Welch - this includes
everything you need: brackets, calipers, hubs, braided hoses and rotors. The
caliper supplied is an early-70s TR6 unit which has the 3.25" bolt centers
but uses the larger cylinder & pad setup of the BJ8 Type 16. I've installed
this kit and it's straightforward for anyone who works on their own car.

Based on my experience, I'd swap out the Welch pads for the Moss Classic
Gold ceramic pads. If you do that (and break the pads in per instructions)
you should not need to swap your 3/4" master cylinder for the 5/8" one used
on the non-servo disc braked cars. Adding a servo also shouldn't be
necessary. My car has 4-wheel disc brakes, the 3/4" cylinder, and no more
pedal pressure than it had with 4-wheel drums.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6 - 29D engine, 4-wheel Disc Brakes
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: richard mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 02:02:33 +0000

I have a pair, for sale,  of early 3000 disc brake caliper mounting brackets
that will convert your 100-6 to disc brakes.  These are the real deal and a
lot less expensive than any Denis Welch brackets.

Let me know if you are interested.

Richard

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:56:49 -0800
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:37:14 -0800

Kees wrote:

Use drums at the rear and decrease the diameter of the rear brake cylinders.
Kees Oudesluijs

<<< 

Another possibility would be to introduce an adjustable proportioning valve
inline between the 5-way union and rear brake line.

I bought mine on Amazon for $40.00

Richard Mayor on this list had an easy technique for setup (if I may
paraphrase):

Start with the valve about 7 or 8 turns down from wide open.

With the car on jackstands, have the "dreaded assistant" gradually, apply
brakes with car in neutral, engine off. Turn the front and rear wheels by
hand.

Adjust the valve such that the rear wheels are just behind the front wheels
- for the fronts to have just locked up and for the rears to still turn but
to feel brake drag.

I followed these instructions, then took the car out for a hard (near panic)
stop and it stopped straight and true.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6 - 29D engine - 4-wheel disc brakes
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

---

From: Francis THIBAUD <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 21:51:33 +0100 (CET)

Hi listers

I apologize for not being a contributor to this list, which is a wealth of
knowledge.
Let me share a bit of experience, not on my Healey but on Jaguar XK.
It is very common practice to convert XKs to front discs.
What we do is fit a servo on the front brakes only.
>From experience, it works very well and solves the front/rear balance
problem.
For what it's Worth ...

Francis THIBAUD (France)
BN1

B 

[email-masked]