Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tool Kit Tommy Bar

From: Curtis Arndt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 14:00:51 -0700

Michael,

I'll send a photo of my nice original.

Curt

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> One of the last items I require for the tool kit on #174 is the "tommy bar"
> for the jack handle.
> Judging by the hole in the jack handle this bar is 3/8" dia.
> The only photo i can find of this bar is in the tool suplimant of the
> concours guidelines and based upon the length of the jack handle next to it
> the "tommy bar" appears to be 12" long.
> However, then studying that photograph carefully there appears to be an
> elongated depression or hole of some kind near the middle of the bar.. does
> anyone have any additional information on that hole, I need to duplicate
> it.
>
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:50:46 -0500

Michael--

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on the tommy bar.

The bar in my kit is almost certainly original as my 100 came with a full
set of tools and the original pouches which were in very rough shape.

The bar measures 12" long with rounded ends and is just under 3/8" diameter
for its entire length except or a section approx. 1/2" long in the middle
which is slightly flattened so that the small diameter is about 1/32" less
and the large diameter is approximately 1/32" more.  In section this
portion of the bar would have a slight oval shape.

On the both narrower sides of the oval there is an elliptical depression
cut into the bar.  The depression measures 5/8" long and is about 1/8" wide
and tapers to points at the ends.  It is about 1/16" deep at its greatest
depth and is sort of like the cut that would be made for a woodruff key
except that the ends of the cuts are not square but are pointed as
described above.

I assume that the purpose of the slightly ovalled center section is to form
a detent or stop when the bar is inserted in the back handle, but there are
no spring-loaded balls or anything in the handle to hold it in place.
Maybe at one time there were some very small inserts in the bar itself that
would have performed that job but there is nothing in mine--just the
depressions.  I will try to take a picture of the center of the bar and
send it to you via email offlist.

Hope this helps.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]