Subject: [Healeys] Electrical - general questions BT7

From: "John Spaur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:53:54 -0800

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5529290010388739680==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01D04C7D.CB82E300"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D04C7D.CB82E300
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I could not start the Healey recently. It was acting like a dead battery
because the starter would not turn the engine over. I think it is because
the Bendix spring on the starter had broken but I started trouble shooting
the electrical system and now I have some questions.

The battery voltage was reading around 12.64 volts. After charging the
battery it read 13.06 volts. After driving for 30 minutes the battery
voltage had dropped down to 12.76 volts or so.

What should the voltage read on a 12V battery that is about 2 years old with
monthly driving after a short drive?

The specs. state the maximum output for the generator is 13.5 volts at
1,700-1,900 r.p.m. I cannot test my generator right now, but should I expect
to read 13.5 volts when I test my rebuilt generator?

Can I read the voltage output of the generator at the battery terminals
while the car is running?

To test the output of the generator the shop manual says to disconnect the
cables from the generator and to connect the terminals with a short piece of
wire. I presume it means to connect the terminals on the generator. Is that
correct?

Electrical work is not my strong point. Many thanks for any help.

John Spaur

'62 BT7

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D04C7D.CB82E300
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I could not start the Healey recently. It was acting =
like a dead battery because the starter would not turn the engine over. =
I think it is because the Bendix spring on the starter had broken but I =
started trouble shooting the electrical system and now I have some =
questions.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The battery voltage was reading around 12.64 volts. =
After charging the battery it read 13.06 volts. After driving for 30 =
minutes the battery voltage had dropped down to 12.76 volts or =
so.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>What should the voltage read on a 12V battery that is =
about 2 years old with monthly driving after a short =
drive?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The specs. state the maximum output for the generator =
is 13.5 volts at 1,700-1,900 r.p.m. I cannot test my generator right =
now, but should I expect to read 13.5 volts when I test my rebuilt =
generator?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Can I read the voltage output of the generator at the =
battery terminals while the car is running?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>To test the =
output of the generator the shop manual says to disconnect the cables =
from the generator and to connect the terminals with a short piece of =
wire. I presume it means to connect the terminals on the generator. Is =
that correct?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Electrical work is not my strong point. Many thanks =
for any help.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>John Spaur<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&#8217;62 BT7<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D04C7D.CB82E300--

--===============5529290010388739680==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5529290010388739680==--