Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bearings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 10:41:21 -0500

--===============2627579163007042808==
	boundary="----=_Part_5427_397564663.1423064481028"

------=_Part_5427_397564663.1423064481028
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Joe,
Thanks for the very clear explanation! 
Gary Hodson

-----Original Message-----
From: J Armour <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Feb 4, 2015 8:12 am
Subject: [Healeys] Bearings

When bearings are fitted into an assembly that is somewhat mass produced and expected to be dismantled easily either the inner or outer race is required to be a sliding/ loose fit by using  predetermined clearances. Bearings can be loose/clearance/sliding fit or size for size or interference fitted. In the case of our Healey front wheels the inner race fitted to the axle is a sliding ( loose) fit so that it can be easily dismantled. With the rear wheels the inner bearing race  is a sliding fit on both the axle housing and the outer race in the hub therefore both need to be prevented from turning which can occur with the cyclic load and deflection of the inner and outer races because both are clearance fits. 
 
The inner race is locked to the axle housing by torqueing the big nut. The outer race is prevented from turning by the fitting of the spacer to provide the necessary protrudance to allow the rotating axle to clamp it and prevent the outer race from what is known in the industry as 'bearing creep' 

 
The more heavily loaded ( dynamically ) the bearing is and depending on the manufacturers clearance allowed to provide ease of assembly and disassembly the more likely the bearing is to creep or rotate on its shaft or within its housing. Remenber that the load on a bearing is basically vertically down so as a hub or axle rotates the bearing race will flex / deflect.  This allows it to creep and in extreme cases to spin and damage the surface it sits in or on. 

 
I have seen Healey size front wheel bearings fitted to an Australian G.M. vehicle without the famous Healey spacer and shims spin the inner race of the bearing and weld itself to the shaft. This resulted in the scrapping of the whole stub axle 

 
Remember the manuals are to tell us what to do not necessarily why to do it. Most manufacturers do base their designs on some experience which we may never be exposed to. The manual also allows for owners with somewhat less knowledge to maintain their car and therefore they will maybe over compensate for the inexperienced mechanic. 

 
Note, with bearings and other machine bits a shaft and hole that are required to be assembled and disassembled with simple tools will not go together when they are the same size. That is why tolerences are specified and a clearance in thousands of an inch are specified. 
 
Alternative is a huge hammer, a big press or lots of heat and usually throw it away. 

 
Joe 

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_Part_5427_397564663.1423064481028
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='2' face='arial'>
<div><font style="background-color: transparent;">Joe,</font></div>

<div>Thanks for the very clear explanation! </div>

<div>Gary Hodson</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div style="color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: J Armour &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: healeys &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Wed, Feb 4, 2015 8:12 am<br>
Subject: [Healeys] Bearings<br>
<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_e8bf1cd7-3883-43a0-bb37-49ad058578ab">

<div class="aolReplacedBody" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; -ms-word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">
 
<div>
When bearings are fitted into an assembly that is somewhat mass produced and expected to be dismantled easily either the inner or outer race is required to be a sliding/ loose fit by using &nbsp;predetermined clearances. Bearings can be loose/clearance/sliding fit or size for size or interference fitted. In the case of our Healey front wheels the inner race fitted to the axle is a sliding ( loose) fit so that it can be easily dismantled. With the rear wheels the inner bearing race &nbsp;is a sliding fit on both the axle housing and the outer race in the hub therefore both need to be prevented from turning which can occur with the cyclic load and deflection of the inner and outer races because both are clearance fits.
 </div>

<div>
The inner race is locked to the axle housing by torqueing the big nut. The outer race is prevented from turning by the fitting of the spacer to provide the necessary protrudance to allow the rotating axle to clamp it and prevent the outer race from what is known in the industry as 'bearing creep'
 </div>

<div>
  <br>

 </div>

<div>
The more heavily loaded ( dynamically ) the bearing is and depending on the manufacturers clearance allowed to provide ease of assembly and disassembly the more likely the bearing is to creep or rotate on its shaft or within its housing. Remenber that the load on a bearing is basically vertically down so as a hub or axle rotates the bearing race will flex / deflect. &nbsp;This allows it to creep and in extreme cases to spin and damage the surface it sits in or on.
 </div>

<div>
  <br>

 </div>

<div>
I have seen Healey size front wheel bearings fitted to an Australian G.M<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">.</font> vehicle without the famous Healey spacer and shims spin the inner race of the bearing and weld itself to the shaft. This resulted in the scrapping of the whole stub axle
 </div>

<div>
  <br>

 </div>

<div>
Remember the manuals are to tell us what to do not necessarily why to do it. Most manufacturers do base their designs on some experience which we may never be exposed to. The manual also allows for owners with somewhat less knowledge to maintain their car and therefore they will maybe over compensate for the inexperienced mechanic.
 </div>

<div>
  <br>

 </div>

<div>
Note, with bearings and other machine bits a shaft and hole that are required to be assembled and disassembled with simple tools will not go together when they are the same size. That is why tolerences are specified and a clearance in thousands of an inch are specified.
 </div>

<div>
Alternative is a huge hammer, a big press or lots of heat and usually throw it away.
 </div>

<div>
  <br>

 </div>

<div>
Joe
 </div>
 
</div>

</div>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_68d504a3-62d6-41ed-a5a7-5b62e7493afa" style="margin: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

<pre style="font-size: 9pt;"><tt>_______________________________________________
Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</tt></pre>
</div>
 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_2_68d504a3-62d6-41ed-a5a7-5b62e7493afa -->
</div>
</font>
------=_Part_5427_397564663.1423064481028--

--===============2627579163007042808==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============2627579163007042808==--

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:24:13 -0500

--===============1337873734332675478==

--089e013d20306f1b10050e4d29db

Hi Joe,
Great explanation BUT there is a problem.
Most cars of the last few decades have "push" or "slide" fit bearings on
the stub axles (non driven).
Healeys and most older British cars have spacers and shims to permit the
stub axle nut to be tightened to lock the wheel bearing inners in position
however, most US and other cars still have bearings which are a loose fit
on the stub axle but use nothing to lock the bearings to the axle....How
come?

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 7:44 AM, J Armour <[email-masked]> wrote:

> When bearings are fitted into an assembly that is somewhat mass produced
> and expected to be dismantled easily either the inner or outer race is
> required to be a sliding/ loose fit by using  predetermined clearances.
> Bearings can be loose/clearance/sliding fit or size for size or
> interference fitted. In the case of our Healey front wheels the inner race
> fitted to the axle is a sliding ( loose) fit so that it can be easily
> dismantled. With the rear wheels the inner bearing race  is a sliding fit
> on both the axle housing and the outer race in the hub therefore both need
> to be prevented from turning which can occur with the cyclic load and
> deflection of the inner and outer races because both are clearance fits.
> The inner race is locked to the axle housing by torqueing the big nut. The
> outer race is prevented from turning by the fitting of the spacer to
> provide the necessary protrudance to allow the rotating axle to clamp it
> and prevent the outer race from what is known in the industry as 'bearing
> creep'
>
> The more heavily loaded ( dynamically ) the bearing is and depending on
> the manufacturers clearance allowed to provide ease of assembly and
> disassembly the more likely the bearing is to creep or rotate on its shaft
> or within its housing. Remenber that the load on a bearing is basically
> vertically down so as a hub or axle rotates the bearing race will flex /
> deflect.  This allows it to creep and in extreme cases to spin and damage
> the surface it sits in or on.
>
> I have seen Healey size front wheel bearings fitted to an Australian G.M
> vehicle without the famous Healey spacer and shims spin the inner race of
> the bearing and weld itself to the shaft. This resulted in the scrapping of
> the whole stub axle
>
> Remember the manuals are to tell us what to do not necessarily why to do
> it. Most manufacturers do base their designs on some experience which we
> may never be exposed to. The manual also allows for owners with somewhat
> less knowledge to maintain their car and therefore they will maybe over
> compensate for the inexperienced mechanic.
>
> Note, with bearings and other machine bits a shaft and hole that are
> required to be assembled and disassembled with simple tools will not go
> together when they are the same size. That is why tolerences are specified
> and a clearance in thousands of an inch are specified.
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--089e013d20306f1b10050e4d29db
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sa=
ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Joe,<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_defa=
ult" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Great e=
xplanation BUT there is a problem.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" st=
yle=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Most cars of t=
he last few decades have &quot;push&quot; or &quot;slide&quot; fit bearings=
 on the stub axles (non driven). <br>Healeys and most older British cars ha=
ve spacers and shims to permit the stub axle nut to be tightened to lock th=
e wheel bearing inners in position however, most US and other cars still ha=
ve bearings which are a loose fit on the stub axle but use nothing to lock =
the bearings to the axle....How come?<br><br>Michael S<br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:=
small">BN1 #174<br></div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D=
"gmail_quote">On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 7:44 AM, J Armour <span dir=3D"ltr">&l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">sebring3000@=
bigpond.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" styl=
e=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div st=
yle=3D"word-wrap:break-word;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:14px;font-family:Cal=
ibri,sans-serif"><div>When bearings are fitted into an assembly that is som=
ewhat mass produced and expected to be dismantled easily either the inner o=
r outer race is required to be a sliding/ loose fit by using =C2=A0predeter=
mined clearances. Bearings can be loose/clearance/sliding fit or size for s=
ize or interference fitted. In the case of our Healey front wheels the inne=
r race fitted to the axle is a sliding ( loose) fit so that it can be easil=
y dismantled. With the rear wheels the inner bearing race =C2=A0is a slidin=
g fit on both the axle housing and the outer race in the hub therefore both=
 need to be prevented from turning which can occur with the cyclic load and=
 deflection of the inner and outer races because both are clearance fits.</=
div><div>The inner race is locked to the axle housing by torqueing the big =
nut. The outer race is prevented from turning by the fitting of the spacer =
to provide the necessary protrudance to allow the rotating axle to clamp it=
 and prevent the outer race from what is known in the industry as &#39;bear=
ing creep&#39;</div><div><br></div><div>The more heavily loaded ( dynamical=
ly ) the bearing is and depending on the manufacturers clearance allowed to=
 provide ease of assembly and disassembly the more likely the bearing is to=
 creep or rotate on its shaft or within its housing. Remenber that the load=
 on a bearing is basically vertically down so as a hub or axle rotates the =
bearing race will flex / deflect.=C2=A0 This allows it to creep and in extr=
eme cases to spin and damage the surface it sits in or on.</div><div><br></=
div><div>I have seen Healey size front wheel bearings fitted to an Australi=
an G.M vehicle without the famous Healey spacer and shims spin the inner ra=
ce of the bearing and weld itself to the shaft. This resulted in the scrapp=
ing of the whole stub axle</div><div><br></div><div>Remember the manuals ar=
e to tell us what to do not necessarily why to do it. Most manufacturers do=
 base their designs on some experience which we may never be exposed to. Th=
e manual also allows for owners with somewhat less knowledge to maintain th=
eir car and therefore they will maybe over compensate for the inexperienced=
 mechanic.</div><div><br></div><div>Note, with bearings and other machine b=
its a shaft and hole that are required to be assembled and disassembled wit=
h simple tools will not go together when they are the same size. That is wh=
y tolerences are specified and a clearance in thousands of an inch are spec=
ified.</div><div>Alternative is a huge hammer, a big press or lots of heat =
and usually throw it away.</div><div><br></div><div>Joe</div></div>
<br>_______________________________________________<br>
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/=
options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br><br clear=3D"all"><br>-- <br><div class=3D"gmail=
_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><i><font><span style=3D"=
color:black">If you can&#39;t fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an elect=
rical problem.</span></font></i><br><br><div></div><div></div><div></div></=
div></div></div></div>
</div>

--089e013d20306f1b10050e4d29db--

--===============1337873734332675478==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1337873734332675478==--