Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starter motor binding BT7

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 10:14:50 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7670291127550383769==
 boundary="------------090209050702080505030500"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------090209050702080505030500
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

There should be little play in the shaft so it is time to replace the 
thrust washers. I am not 100% sure, but from memory I think it should be 
a combination of 2 thinnish hardened steel washers and 1 thin fibre 
washer sandwiched between the steel washers?
The pinion should only be lubricated by rubbing on some graphite powder 
on the shaft. No oil or grease, that may cause binding because dirt gets 
trapped in the oil/grease. The bushes should be cleaned, dried and 
soaked for 24 hrs (or any other method) in fresh oil.

Kees Oudesluijs

John Spaur schreef op 22-2-2015 om 3:52:
>
> This was the general electrical question thread.
>
> The pinon gear is binding and not returning to its idle position which 
> causes it to stay engaged with the flywheel starter gear. When this 
> happens the engine will not turn over. If I remove the starter to 
> correct the problem, as the shop manual states, the engine will turn 
> over however, the pinon gear will bind again after a start or two.
>
> The only thing I can see that might be wrong is the armature shaft 
> seems to have excessive endplay; I can move it back and forth quite a 
> bit. There is a steel thrust washer, inside of the motor, between the 
> starter end cap and the bearing bush that appears much worn.
>
> Has anybody experienced this problem and have they fixed it by 
> replacing the thrust washer?
>
> John Spaur
>
> ’62 BT7
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5646 / Virusdatabase: 4293/9155 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 02/21/15
>

--------------090209050702080505030500
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">There should be little play in the
      shaft so it is time to replace the thrust washers. I am not 100%
      sure, but from memory I think it should be a combination of 2
      thinnish hardened steel washers and 1 thin fibre washer sandwiched
      between the steel washers?<br>
      The pinion should only be lubricated by rubbing on some graphite
      powder on the shaft. No oil or grease, that may cause binding
      because dirt gets trapped in the oil/grease. The bushes should be
      cleaned, dried and soaked for 24 hrs (or any other method) in
      fresh oil.<br>
      <br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      John Spaur schreef op 22-2-2015 om 3:52:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=us-ascii">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">This was the general electrical question
          thread.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">The pinon gear is binding and not returning
          to its idle position which causes it to stay engaged with the
          flywheel starter gear. When this happens the engine will not
          turn over. If I remove the starter to correct the problem, as
          the shop manual states, the engine will turn over however, the
          pinon gear will bind again after a start or two.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">The only thing I can see that might be
          wrong is the armature shaft seems to have excessive endplay; I
          can move it back and forth quite a bit. There is a steel
          thrust washer, inside of the motor, between the starter end
          cap and the bearing bush that appears much worn.</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Has anybody experienced this problem and
          have they fixed it by replacing the thrust washer?</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">John Spaur</p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">’62 BT7</p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=us-ascii">
      <p class="">Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.<br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5646 / Virusdatabase: 4293/9155 - datum van
        uitgifte: 02/21/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------090209050702080505030500--

--===============7670291127550383769==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7670291127550383769==--

---

From: "John Spaur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:36:11 -0800

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7517340733085918026==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003F_01D04F54.8D5528C0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D04F54.8D5528C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I installed an additional thrust washer and the starter works fine now.

I am not sure if they original washers were sandwiched though; there is not
much room for a combination of washers that would be thick.

John Spaur

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Oudesluys
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starter motor binding BT7

There should be little play in the shaft so it is time to replace the thrust
washers. I am not 100% sure, but from memory I think it should be a
combination of 2 thinnish hardened steel washers and 1 thin fibre washer
sandwiched between the steel washers?

Kees Oudesluijs

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D04F54.8D5528C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:"Consolas",serif;
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I installed an additional thrust washer and the starter works fine =
now.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>I am not sure if they original washers were sandwiched though; there is =
not much room for a combination of washers that would be =
thick.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
>John Spaur<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:windowte=
xt'> Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Oudesluys<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:15 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] =
Starter motor binding BT7<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>There =
should be little play in the shaft so it is time to replace the thrust =
washers. I am not 100% sure, but from memory I think it should be a =
combination of 2 thinnish hardened steel washers and 1 thin fibre washer =
sandwiched between the steel washers?<span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'=
><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal> <br>Kees =
Oudesluijs<br><br><br><o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_003F_01D04F54.8D5528C0--

--===============7517340733085918026==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7517340733085918026==--