Subject: [Healeys] Electrical Problems start with all connections

From: "Robert F. Begani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 00:53:30 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8513227673268274304==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0097_01D04D70.D0AB7D80"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0097_01D04D70.D0AB7D80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Further to Len's comments on the battery connections, I suggest
disconnecting and cleaning all electrical connections.  The biggest problems
with weak batteries and hard starting is with the grounds and the
connections.  In my 20 year old sailboat with a diesel engine, it was slowly
giving me problems with starting.  Everyone said need newer and bigger
batteries or 3 batteries, or Optimum batteries.  I just got a nice set of
Stainless Steel mini brushes for my Demel at Harbor Freight and started at
the ground on the engine taking the terminals off, wire brushing the stud,
the terminals, and replacing.  Then to the solenoid on the starter all the
way to the ignition switch.  At the same time I replaced several automotive
terminals with marine water proof terminals which have been installed by
previous owners.  Marine connectors are tinned to reduce corrosion in a
marine environment and have heat shrink connections to the wires which are
also tinned.  No more hard starting problems, batteries always charged after
short trips out to the harbor to go sailing for a few hours and motor back.
Check all the wiring connections throughout the system especially the
grounds first. By the way, an automotive repair friend recommends using a
bolt on the bell housing and a #10 wire to use as the engine ground for
additional security on older vehicles instead of engine block.

Bob Begani

BJ8

------=_NextPart_000_0097_01D04D70.D0AB7D80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Further to =
Len&#8217;s comments on the battery connections, I suggest disconnecting =
and cleaning all electrical connections.&nbsp; The biggest problems with =
weak batteries and hard starting is with the grounds and the =
connections.&nbsp; In my 20 year old sailboat with a diesel engine, it =
was slowly giving me problems with starting.&nbsp; Everyone said need =
newer and bigger batteries or 3 batteries, or Optimum batteries.&nbsp; I =
just got a nice set of Stainless Steel mini brushes for my Demel at =
Harbor Freight and started at the ground on the engine taking the =
terminals off, wire brushing the stud, the terminals, and =
replacing.&nbsp; Then to the solenoid on the starter all the way to the =
ignition switch.&nbsp; At the same time I replaced several automotive =
terminals with marine water proof terminals which have been installed by =
previous owners.&nbsp; Marine connectors are tinned to reduce corrosion =
in a marine environment and have heat shrink connections to the wires =
which are also tinned.&nbsp; No more hard starting problems, batteries =
always charged after short trips out to the harbor to go sailing for a =
few hours and motor back.&nbsp; Check all the wiring connections =
throughout the system especially the grounds first. By the way, an =
automotive repair friend recommends using a bolt on the bell housing and =
a #10 wire to use as the engine ground for additional security on older =
vehicles instead of engine block.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>BJ8<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0097_01D04D70.D0AB7D80--

--===============8513227673268274304==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8513227673268274304==--