Subject: [Healeys] Starter motor binding BT7

From: "John Spaur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 18:52:16 -0800

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1456599984891435636==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0019_01D04E07.84413D30"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01D04E07.84413D30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

This was the general electrical question thread.

The pinon gear is binding and not returning to its idle position which
causes it to stay engaged with the flywheel starter gear. When this happens
the engine will not turn over. If I remove the starter to correct the
problem, as the shop manual states, the engine will turn over however, the
pinon gear will bind again after a start or two.

The only thing I can see that might be wrong is the armature shaft seems to
have excessive endplay; I can move it back and forth quite a bit. There is a
steel thrust washer, inside of the motor, between the starter end cap and
the bearing bush that appears much worn.

Has anybody experienced this problem and have they fixed it by replacing the
thrust washer?

John Spaur

'62 BT7

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01D04E07.84413D30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>This was the general electrical question =
thread.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The pinon gear is binding and not returning to its =
idle position which causes it to stay engaged with the flywheel starter =
gear. When this happens the engine will not turn over. If I remove the =
starter to correct the problem, as the shop manual states, the engine =
will turn over however, the pinon gear will bind again after a start or =
two.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The only thing I can see that might be wrong is the =
armature shaft seems to have excessive endplay; I can move it back and =
forth quite a bit. There is a steel thrust washer, inside of the motor, =
between the starter end cap and the bearing bush that appears much =
worn.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Has anybody experienced this problem and have they =
fixed it by replacing the thrust washer?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>John =
Spaur<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>&#8217;62 =
BT7<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0019_01D04E07.84413D30--

--===============1456599984891435636==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1456599984891435636==--