Subject: [Healeys] FW: Lucas Generator

From: J Armour <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 22:30:33 +1100

--===============5486902973111267892==

--B_3508093839_756286
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Further to my request for input on this Lucas number I can now report back
on the Lucas masterpiece. This is an item that did 12 hours of hard driving
at Sebring 1965 in terrible wet weather and never missed a beat charging
through the rain and night.
The auto-elect who has done my repairs since the 1960s dismantled the
generator and found modifications that could be interrupted as  'R' for race
improvements for additional reliability.
C.40s were usually fitted to the smaller A-series BMC engines. My car had
one as they are shorter and this was required to clear the external oil
filter canister fitted in the vertical position mounted to the shroud
support. Normally there is a ball bearing in the pulley end and bronze bush
in the other end. Lucas had fitted this one with ball bearings both ends.
The end plate with wiring connectors was not the standard push on spade
connectors but bolt-on connections I assume to minimise the risk of
vibrating off or being accidently disconnected. Also there was a metal ring
around the armature wiring where it connected to the commutator to avoid the
centrifical force throwing the cables off when they were overheated. ( I
have had this occur to a BN.4 generator when the voltage regulator failed to
regulate!  A very bad sight ) Insulation quality also appeared to be
improved.

I believe that Lucas came to the Donald Healey Motor Co workshop and wired
the 'Works' cars and fitted up the electrical equipment as part of their
sponsorship and publicising of the value of our 'Prince of Darkness'

These are the little things Geoff and Roger did to ensure reliability under
pressure.

The generator was working but the brushes were well worn down in length and
had little pressure on the commutator.

( Please note I am not an electrical type if some of this explanation
offends)

Joe

Subject:  FW: Lucas Generator

Another request to the learned ones.

My 3000 has a Lucas  generator with the following numbers. Do we know what
it is also fitted to;

C.40 R
22746B     and date 9.64

This unit is shorter in length than the standard item

Brushes have a screw fixing. What are standard 3000s fitted with?

Interestingly my generator acts as a rev warning when I have the lights and
fog lights on. The lights go dull at certain revs as I think the brushes
which are quite worn lift off the commutator. When I slow a few hundred revs
the famous Lucas brightness returns.

Joe

--B_3508093839_756286
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: s=
pace; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size:=
 14px; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; "><div><br></div><div>Further to my=
 request for input on this Lucas number I can now report back on the Lucas m=
asterpiece. This is an item that did 12 hours of hard driving at Sebring 196=
5 in terrible wet weather and never missed a beat charging through the rain =
and night.</div><div>The auto-elect who has done my repairs since the 1960s =
dismantled the generator and found modifications that could be interrupted a=
s &nbsp;'R' for race improvements for additional reliability.&nbsp;</div><di=
v>C.40s were usually fitted to the smaller A-series BMC engines. My car had =
one as they are shorter and this was required to clear the external oil filt=
er canister fitted in the vertical position mounted to the shroud support. N=
ormally there is a ball bearing in the pulley end and bronze bush in the oth=
er end. Lucas had fitted this one with ball bearings both ends. The end plat=
e with wiring connectors was not the standard push on spade connectors but b=
olt-on connections I assume to minimise the risk of vibrating off or being a=
ccidently disconnected. Also there was a metal ring around the armature wiri=
ng where it connected to the commutator to avoid the centrifical force throw=
ing the cables off when they were overheated. ( I have had this occur to a B=
N.4 generator when the voltage regulator failed to regulate! &nbsp;A very ba=
d sight ) Insulation quality also appeared to be improved.</div><div><br></d=
iv><div>I believe that Lucas came to the Donald Healey Motor Co workshop and=
 wired the 'Works' cars and fitted up the electrical equipment as part of th=
eir sponsorship and publicising of the value of our 'Prince of Darkness'</di=
v><div><br></div><div>These are the little things Geoff and Roger did to ens=
ure reliability under pressure.</div><div><br></div><div>The generator was w=
orking but the brushes were well worn down in length and had little pressure=
 on the commutator.</div><div><br></div><div>( Please note I am not an elect=
rical type if some of this explanation offends)</div><div><br></div><div>Joe=
</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><span id=3D"OLK_SRC_BODY_SECTION"><div sty=
le=3D"font-family:Calibri; font-size:11pt; text-align:left; color:black; BORDE=
R-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDIN=
G-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #b5c4df 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT=
: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 3pt"><span style=3D"font-weight:bold">Subject: </s=
pan> FW: Lucas Generator<br></div><div><br></div><div><div style=3D"word-wrap:=
 break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space=
; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; ">=
<div><br></div><div><br></div><span id=3D"OLK_SRC_BODY_SECTION"><div><div styl=
e=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: afte=
r-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px; font-family: Calibri, s=
ans-serif; "><div>Another request to the learned ones.</div><div><br></div><=
div>My 3000 has a Lucas &nbsp;generator with the following numbers. Do we kn=
ow what it is also fitted to;</div><div><br></div><div>C.40 R</div><div>2274=
6B &nbsp; &nbsp; and date 9.64</div><div><br></div><div>This unit is shorter=
 in length than the standard item</div><div><br></div><div>Brushes have a sc=
rew fixing. What are standard 3000s fitted with?</div><div><br></div><div>In=
terestingly my generator acts as a rev warning when I have the lights and fo=
g lights on. The lights go dull at certain revs as I think the brushes which=
 are quite worn lift off the commutator. When I slow a few hundred revs the =
famous Lucas brightness returns.</div><div><br></div><div>Joe</div></div></d=
iv></span></div></div></span></body></html>

--B_3508093839_756286--

--===============5486902973111267892==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5486902973111267892==--