Subject: Re: [Healeys] new tyres

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 19:41:14 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6222992530059640814==
 boundary="------------010108020007060602040005"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------010108020007060602040005
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Internal damage and cracks on the outside can often be attributed to 
prolonged to low pressure of the tyres. If you do not know the history 
of the tyres replace them. If you know the history and if they are to 
old, replace them, also if they appear to be supple and crack free. They 
may be perfectly OK, but the risk they are not is increasing with age.
In normal life on a day to day car a tyre may do 10.000 or more miles a 
year, they could last 40.000miles or so, some (a lot) less, some (a lot) 
more, so roughly they have to last 4-5 years before the threads are worn 
out, well within the 7-10 years before they should be replaced because 
of age. No problems here.
A classic car will generally do between 1000mls and 3000mls (insurance 
max??), so their thread will be worn well past the age of ten years.
Make sure you check the code when you buy new tyres, find out how on the 
internet, it is easy. Do not buy tyres when they are over a year old, 
whatever the tyre dealer claims on storage conditions and what have you, 
just don't.
Remember that an old and/or classic car is generally not a safe car to 
crash and is expensive to repair if you survive.

Kees Oudesluijs

Stephen Hutchings schreef op 17-3-2015 om 19:13:
> I believe in erring on the side of safety, when it comes to the age of 
> tires.
> I have to say, though, that you cannot always tell by examining the 
> tires...go by the date.
> I have some tires that are well past their best by date (don't worry, 
> car is not yet back on the road) and they look absolutely perfect.
> They are probably harder, and who knows what is going on underneath, 
> but they appear supple with new looking treads.
> I've also had a tire tread separate when it was well within the safety 
> time limit.
>
> Stephen, BJ8
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5751 / Virusdatabase: 4306/9322 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 03/17/15
>

--------------010108020007060602040005
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Internal damage and cracks on the
      outside can often be attributed to prolonged to low pressure of
      the tyres. If you do not know the history of the tyres replace
      them. If you know the history and if they are to old, replace
      them, also if they appear to be supple and crack free. They may be
      perfectly OK, but the risk they are not is increasing with age.<br>
      In normal life on a day to day car a tyre may do 10.000 or more
      miles a year, they could last 40.000miles or so, some (a lot)
      less, some (a lot) more, so roughly they have to last 4-5 years
      before the threads are worn out, well within the 7-10 years before
      they should be replaced because of age. No problems here.<br>
      A classic car will generally do between 1000mls and 3000mls
      (insurance max??), so their thread will be worn well past the age
      of ten years.<br>
      Make sure you check the code when you buy new tyres, find out how
      on the internet, it is easy. Do not buy tyres when they are over a
      year old, whatever the tyre dealer claims on storage conditions
      and what have you, just don't.<br>
      Remember that an old and/or classic car is generally not a safe
      car to crash and is expensive to repair if you survive.<br>
      <br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      Stephen Hutchings schreef op 17-3-2015 om 19:13:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div>
        <div dir="ltr" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1426615534887_8955">I believe in
          erring on the side of safety, when it comes to the age of
          tires.</div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1426615534887_9039" dir="ltr">I have to
          say, though, that you cannot always tell by examining the
          tires...go by the date.</div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1426615534887_9045" dir="ltr">I have some
          tires that are well past their best by date (don't worry, car
          is not yet back on the road) and they look absolutely perfect.</div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1426615534887_9056" dir="ltr">They are
          probably harder, and who knows what is going on underneath,
          but they appear supple with new looking treads.</div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1426615534887_9057" dir="ltr">I've also
          had a tire tread separate when it was well within the safety
          time limit.</div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1426615534887_9078" dir="ltr"><br>
        </div>
        <div id="yui_3_16_0_1_1426615534887_9079" dir="ltr">Stephen, BJ8<br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <p class="">Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.<br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5751 / Virusdatabase: 4306/9322 - datum van
        uitgifte: 03/17/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------010108020007060602040005--

--===============6222992530059640814==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============6222992530059640814==--