Subject: [Healeys] 100-4 Bearing Cap Question

From: "Jonas Payne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 17:53:42 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4119399302187030197==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_035C_01D07092.9EC2B140"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_035C_01D07092.9EC2B140
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

We are getting some conflicting information.

Are the front and rear bearing caps for a 100-4 supposed to be cross bolted?

We are inspecting the bearings on an engine inside the car.  The front cap
had 2 bolts through the front engine plate/timing chain cover that
effectively "cross bolted" it with the big studs.

Per the manual, you are supposed to be able to swap out main bearings with
the engine inside the car - however, if the rears are cross bolted (and they
appear to be looking at them and looking at pages 4 and 5 of the Moss
catalog, which indicates part no 39 as "BOLT, rear plate to bearing cap") in
order to swap out in the car, you'd have to remove the transmission,
pressure plate and flywheel, at which point, it's probably easier to simply
remove the engine.

Jonas Payne

PBR Consulting Services, LLC

702.882.6711

------=_NextPart_000_035C_01D07092.9EC2B140
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>We are getting some conflicting =
information.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Are the front and rear bearing caps for a 100-4 =
supposed to be cross bolted?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>We are =
inspecting the bearings on an engine inside the car.&nbsp; The front cap =
had 2 bolts through the front engine plate/timing chain cover that =
effectively &#8220;cross bolted&#8221; it with the big =
studs.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Per the manual, you are supposed to be able to swap =
out main bearings with the engine inside the car &#8211; however, if the =
rears are cross bolted (and they appear to be looking at them and =
looking at pages 4 and 5 of the Moss catalog, which indicates part no 39 =
as &#8220;BOLT, rear plate to bearing cap&#8221;) in order to swap out =
in the car, you&#8217;d have to remove the transmission, pressure plate =
and flywheel, at which point, it&#8217;s probably easier to simply =
remove the engine.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Jonas =
Payne<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>PBR Consulting Services, =
LLC<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>702.882.6711<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_035C_01D07092.9EC2B140--

--===============4119399302187030197==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4119399302187030197==--