Subject: [Healeys] Followup--- Girling Brake Servo Rebuild

From: "R. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:16:11 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4268400524050473967==
 boundary="------------030802090103070003050601"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------030802090103070003050601
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Michael Salter was kind enough to inform me that the vacuum chest of the 
servo is steel rather than aluminum, as I had stated.

So, what follows is Sandstrom's application protocol for steel:

"Application on steel. Pre-clean the steel surface with aliphatic 
naphtha or any other EPA compliant cleaner that sufficiently
cleans surfaces to pass ASTM F22. Sandblast the surfaces with 180-220 
grit aluminum oxide (25-50 RMS optimum). Phosphate
IAW MIL-DTL-16232 (weight should be 11-22 g/m2), type M, class 3 or type 
Z, class 3."

Any comments  from those who may have used the Sandstrom dry lube 
products in the past?

Thanks.

Bob

On 4/17/2015 2:04 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Bob,
> I'm not sure from your message if you are under the impression that 
> the vacuum chest of the Girling servo is made of aluminium. It is 
> actually steel if that makes any difference to the application protocol.
>
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM, R. Cobb <[email-masked] 
>
>     In anticipation of rebuilding my Girling Servo (I did it
>     successfully 30+ years ago), and after reading some archival tips
>     (going as far back as the early 1990's), I have ordered the dry
>     film lube from Sandstrom.
>
>     Their #26A product has evolved to the current #28A formulation. 
>     The data sheet for the dry film lube indicates the following
>     directives:
>
>     "Application on aluminum and aluminum alloys. Pre-clean the
>     aluminum surface with aliphatic naphtha or any other EPA compliant
>     cleaner that sufficiently cleans surfaces to pass ASTM F22.
>     Sulfuric acid anodize IAW MIL-A-8625 and seal the surface."
>
>     Sandstrom's tech support director has been out all week at an
>     industry conference, so I've not been able to determine if, given
>     the application in question, the involved protocol is essential.
>
>     Any input from others who have successfully used this, or its
>     predecessor, product, regarding surface preparation?
>
>     By the way, when I spoke with sales and indicated I was interested
>     in using their product in relation to the restoration of a vintage
>     British auto, the salesperson said, "Oh, an Austin-Healey?"
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     Bob
>     _______________________________________________
>     Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>     Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> /If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem./
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 2014.0.4800 / Virus Database: 4311/9562 - Release Date: 04/17/15
>

--------------030802090103070003050601
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    Michael Salter was kind enough to inform me that the vacuum chest of
    the servo is steel rather than aluminum, as I had stated.  <br>
    <br>
    So, what follows is Sandstrom's application protocol for steel:<br>
    <br>
    "Application on steel. Pre-clean the steel surface with aliphatic
    naphtha or any other EPA compliant cleaner that sufficiently<br>
    cleans surfaces to pass ASTM F22. Sandblast the surfaces with
    180-220 grit aluminum oxide (25-50 RMS optimum). Phosphate<br>
    IAW MIL-DTL-16232 (weight should be 11-22 g/m2), type M, class 3 or
    type Z, class 3."<br>
    <br>
    Any comments  from those who may have used the Sandstrom dry lube
    products in the past?<br>
    <br>
    Thanks.<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
     <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/17/2015 2:04 PM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Bob,<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I'm not sure from your message
          if you are under the impression that the vacuum chest of the
          Girling servo is made of aluminium. It is actually steel if
          that makes any difference to the application protocol.<br>
          <br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174<br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <div class="gmail_extra"><br>
        <div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM, R.
          Cobb <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">In
            anticipation of rebuilding my Girling Servo (I did it
            successfully 30+ years ago), and after reading some archival
            tips (going as far back as the early 1990's), I have ordered
            the dry film lube from Sandstrom.<br>
            <br>
            Their #26A product has evolved to the current #28A
            formulation.  The data sheet for the dry film lube indicates
            the following directives:<br>
            <br>
            "Application on aluminum and aluminum alloys. Pre-clean the
            aluminum surface with aliphatic naphtha or any other EPA
            compliant cleaner that sufficiently cleans surfaces to pass
            ASTM F22. Sulfuric acid anodize IAW MIL-A-8625 and seal the
            surface."<br>
            <br>
            Sandstrom's tech support director has been out all week at
            an industry conference, so I've not been able to determine
            if, given the application in question, the involved protocol
            is essential.<br>
            <br>
            Any input from others who have successfully used this, or
            its predecessor, product, regarding surface preparation?<br>
            <br>
            By the way, when I spoke with sales and indicated I was
            interested in using their product in relation to the
            restoration of a vintage British auto, the salesperson said,
            "Oh, an Austin-Healey?"<br>
            <br>
            Thanks in advance.<br>
            <br>
            Bob<br>
            _______________________________________________<br>
            Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            <br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
              target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
            <br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
              target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
            <br>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
        <br>
        <br clear="all">
        <br>
        -- <br>
        <div class="gmail_signature">
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div>
              <div dir="ltr"><i><font size="2"><span style="color:black">If
                      you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an
                      electrical problem.</span></font></i><br>
                <br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <p class="" avgcert""="" color="#000000" align="left">No virus
        found in this message.<br>
        Checked by AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Version: 2014.0.4800 / Virus Database: 4311/9562 - Release Date:
        04/17/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------030802090103070003050601--

--===============4268400524050473967==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4268400524050473967==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 16:06:58 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6210085077526856608==
 boundary="------------090806010109060304060602"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------090806010109060304060602
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Been a long time, and probably with the earlier product, but IIRC I just 
sprayed it over whatever was left of the original dry lube.  I probably 
scuffed the inside of the canister with Scotchbrite or emery cloth and 
cleaned it with brake cleaner.   Probably did a couple coats, just like 
any other paint.  I remember I had to buy 2 cans of it--and used about a 
tenth of a can--and had to pay a bunch for hazmat shipping.  The 
remainder was unusable after a couple years.

In hindsight I think I probably didn't need to do it, as the original 
coating appeared to be intact and the piston wasn't sticking.

Bob

On 4/17/2015 6:16 PM, R. Cobb wrote:
> the servo is steel rather than aluminum, as I had stated.
>
> type Z, class 3."

--------------090806010109060304060602
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Been a long time, and probably with the earlier product, but IIRC I
    just sprayed it over whatever was left of the original dry lube.  I
    probably scuffed the inside of the canister with Scotchbrite or
    emery cloth and cleaned it with brake cleaner.   Probably did a
    couple coats, just like any other paint.  I remember I had to buy 2
    cans of it--and used about a tenth of a can--and had to pay a bunch
    for hazmat shipping.  The remainder was unusable after a couple
    years.<br>
    <br>
    In hindsight I think I probably didn't need to do it, as the
    original coating appeared to be intact and the piston wasn't
    sticking.<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/17/2015 6:16 PM, R. Cobb wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]" type="cite">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      Michael Salter was kind enough to inform me that the vacuum chest
      of the servo is steel rather than aluminum, as I had stated.  <br>
      <br>
      So, what follows is Sandstrom's application protocol for steel:<br>
      <br>
      "Application on steel. Pre-clean the steel surface with aliphatic
      naphtha or any other EPA compliant cleaner that sufficiently<br>
      cleans surfaces to pass ASTM F22. Sandblast the surfaces with
      180-220 grit aluminum oxide (25-50 RMS optimum). Phosphate<br>
      IAW MIL-DTL-16232 (weight should be 11-22 g/m2), type M, class 3
      or type Z, class 3."<br>
      <br>
      Any comments  from those who may have used the Sandstrom dry lube
      products in the past?<br>
      <br>
      Thanks.<br>
      <br>
      Bob<br>
        <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------090806010109060304060602--

--===============6210085077526856608==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6210085077526856608==--