Subject: Re: [Healeys] ex-Competition BT7 re-emerges

From: "J. Armour" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 00:45:56 +1000

Thanks Peter I always have an interest in 'period' race Healeys.

But there is always the same question. If people want to replicate some or
all of the 'works' circuit race cars ( BJ.7s & BJ.8s built by the Donald
Healey Motor Company) why copy the BMC rally cars owned by the MG Car Co
??????????
A 1960s period racer would be similar to John Chatham's DD300 which raced
at Sebring initially and then as a private entry it was raced at LeMans
prior to John having the time of his life with it. Note, never painted red
& white and never with two spare wheels.

Joe

On 30/04/15 11:37 PM, "Peter Dzwig" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>All,
>
>thought you my be interested by this:
>
><http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2015-06-06/cars/ref-3-1960-aus
>tin-healey-3000.aspx?p=3>
>
>Peter
>-- 

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Peter Dzwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 22:52:09 +0100

Joe,

I agree it's a bit of an oddity really. It's a barn find so I guess it is what
it is, you pays your money and then you restore.

But you are right about the colours, they're rally colours from the period. I
think that BRG is a great colour for a Healey, for example.

The car doesn't look like it was built as a long-distance race rep, but it
doesn't really look like a rally car either. Just stripping a lot out doesn't
make it a race car and nor does a straight-cut box. That tank looks newer and I
would have guessed, is a bit small for any serious rallying and depending on
what the engine is tuned to might not last. I guess it is a sprinter that
carried most of its spares to the races, hence the rally-style boot.

I think that the Auction House is over-selling it. I guess that it's a
privateer's car and has probably never been anything else (not that there's
anything at all wrong with that). It's certainly not a lost works car as the
wording hints! But I think that the estimated price is probably about right,
given that you are going to have quite a bit to do on it.

Peter

-- 

===========================================================
Dr Peter Dzwig				

[email-masked]