Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 parts

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 08:14:31 +1000

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7456874897150715580==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D07E66.B294BB00"
Content-Language: en-au

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D07E66.B294BB00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

G'day Reinhart

I have found the simplest way is to replace the lot.

The last time I needed the bumpstop boxes I bought direct from Kilmartin
Sheetmetal in Australia who supply most of the world's outlets. Kilmartins
now have an outlet in the Netherlands and their website address is:

http://www.kilmartin.eu/KAS_Europe/Home.html

The Kilmartin part number for early BN1s is AH 120 and for later BN1s and
subsequently it's AH 161.

As to the little felt bushes on the rear brakes the purpose of the posts are
to keep the shoes centred within the drum. You probably have realised that
they are adjustable from the back. The purpose of the felt rings or buses is
to hold a little bit of lubricant such as grease or oil so that the shoes
move easily when the brakes are applied. It's been many years but the last
time I bought these I got them from AH Spares in the UK.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia 

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Reinhart
Rosner
Sent: Friday, 24 April 2015 7:28 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] 100 parts

When working on the rear brakes of my 100 I found the bump stop boxes on
both sides torn where the rubber buffer from the suspension may touch. I
found 806-180 as the part-number in the Moss catalogue but did not find the
original part number in my old Austin-Healey parts list. Anyone knows the
Austin-Healey number? Is the quality of these from the different suppliers
more or less the same? Or should I rather have a small piece of a panel
welded on the remaining that do not look too bad. 

Inside the brake drum there are steady posts with felt bushes. One of these
is missing. What is the purpose of these? Should I replace the missing or
all of them?

Thank you in advance,

Reinhart

Reinhart Rosner

55 100 BN 1

Vienna - Austria

------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D07E66.B294BB00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'>G&#8217;day Reinhart<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>I have =
found the simplest way is to replace the lot.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>The =
last time I needed the bumpstop boxes I bought direct from Kilmartin =
Sheetmetal in Australia who supply most of the world&#8217;s outlets. =
Kilmartins now have an outlet in the Netherlands and their website =
address is:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'><a =
href=3D"http://www.kilmartin.eu/KAS_Europe/Home.html">http://www.kilmarti=
n.eu/KAS_Europe/Home.html</a><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>The =
Kilmartin part number for early BN1s is AH 120 and for later BN1s and =
subsequently it&#8217;s AH 161.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>As to =
the little felt bushes on the rear brakes the purpose of the posts are =
to keep the shoes centred within the drum. You probably have realised =
that they are adjustable from the back. The purpose of the felt rings or =
buses is to hold a little bit of lubricant such as grease or oil so that =
the shoes move easily when the brakes are applied. It&#8217;s been many =
years but the last time I bought these I got them from AH Spares in the =
UK.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Hoo =
Roo<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Patrick =
Quinn<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Blue =
Mountains, Australia <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";mso-fareast-l=
anguage:EN-AU'>From:</span></b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";mso-fareast-l=
anguage:EN-AU'> Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On =
Behalf Of </b>Reinhart Rosner<br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, 24 April 2015 7:28 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] 100 =
parts<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB>When working on the rear brakes of my 100 I found the bump =
stop boxes on both sides torn where the rubber buffer from the =
suspension may touch. I found 806-180 as the part-number in the Moss =
catalogue but did not find the original part number in my old =
Austin-Healey parts list. Anyone knows the Austin-Healey number? Is the =
quality of these from the different suppliers more or less the same? Or =
should I rather have a small piece of a panel welded on the remaining =
that do not look too bad. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>Inside the brake drum there are =
steady posts with felt bushes. One of these is missing. What is the =
purpose of these? Should I replace the missing or all of =
them?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB>Thank you in advance,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>Reinhart<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>Reinhart =
Rosner<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DDE-AT>55 =
100 BN 1<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DDE-AT>Vienna - Austria<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DDE-AT><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D07E66.B294BB00--

--===============7456874897150715580==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7456874897150715580==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:23:58 +0000 (UTC)

--===============0725986897977696380==
	boundary="----=_Part_12911742_2056026812.1429827838048"

------=_Part_12911742_2056026812.1429827838048
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Reinhart, 

I replaced the rubber bumpers on my BJ8 a while ago. I recall the rubber quality was OK, but they were difficult to fit because, if I recall correctly, the holes didn't line up perfectly with the mounting holes. The stop boxes are relatively expensive, so if you can weld/hammer/sand/paint the old ones you'll be euros ahead (they usually get beat up eventually anyway). 

The felt bushes supply a bit of lubrication for the the steady posts where they rub against the shoe backsides. They should be (very) lightly oiled with a thick oil or (very) thin grease. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Reinhart Rosner" <[email-masked]> 
To: "healeys" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:28:13 PM 
Subject: [Healeys] 100 parts 

When working on the rear brakes of my 100 I found the bump stop boxes on both sides torn where the rubber buffer from the suspension may touch. I found 806-180 as the part-number in the Moss catalogue but did not find the original part number in my old Austin-Healey parts list. Anyone knows the Austin-Healey number? Is the quality of these from the different suppliers more or less the same? Or should I rather have a small piece of a panel welded on the remaining that do not look too bad. 

Inside the brake drum there are steady posts with felt bushes. One of these is missing. What is the purpose of these? Should I replace the missing or all of them? 

Thank you in advance, 

Reinhart 

Reinhart Rosner 

55 100 BN 1 

Vienna - Austria 

------=_Part_12911742_2056026812.1429827838048
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div>Hi Reinhart,<br></div><div><br></div><div>I replaced the rubber bu=
mpers on my BJ8 a while ago.&nbsp; I recall the rubber quality was OK, but =
they were difficult to fit because, if I recall correctly, the holes didn't=
 line up perfectly with the mounting holes.&nbsp; The stop boxes are relati=
vely expensive, so if you can weld/hammer/sand/paint the old ones you'll be=
 euros ahead (they usually get beat up eventually anyway).<br></div><div><b=
r></div><div>The felt bushes supply a bit of lubrication for the the steady=
 posts where they rub against the shoe backsides.&nbsp; They should be (ver=
y) lightly oiled with a thick oil or (very) thin grease.<br></div><div><br>=
</div><div>Bob<br></div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color=
:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family=
:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><b>From: </b>"Reinhart Rosner"=
 &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"healeys" &lt;[email-masked]=
eam.net&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:28:13 PM<br><b>Subje=
ct: </b>[Healeys] 100 parts<br><div><br></div><style><!--

@font-face
=09{font-family:Calibri;
=09panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
=09{margin:0cm;
=09margin-bottom:.0001pt;
=09font-size:11.0pt;
=09font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
=09mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
=09{mso-style-priority:99;
=09color:blue;
=09text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
=09{mso-style-priority:99;
=09color:purple;
=09text-decoration:underline;}
span.E-MailFormatvorlage17
=09{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
=09font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
=09color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
=09{mso-style-type:export-only;
=09font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
=09mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
=09{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
=09margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt;}
div.WordSection1
=09{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span lang=3D=
"EN-GB">When working on the rear brakes of my 100 I found the bump stop box=
es on both sides torn where the rubber buffer from the suspension may touch=
. I found 806-180 as the part-number in the Moss catalogue but did not find=
 the original part number in my old Austin-Healey parts list. Anyone knows =
the Austin-Healey number? Is the quality of these from the different suppli=
ers more or less the same? Or should I rather have a small piece of a panel=
 welded on the remaining that do not look too bad. </span></p><p class=3D"M=
soNormal"><span lang=3D"EN-GB">&nbsp;</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><spa=
n lang=3D"EN-GB">Inside the brake drum there are steady posts with felt bus=
hes. One of these is missing. What is the purpose of these? Should I replac=
e the missing or all of them?</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span lang=
=3D"EN-GB">&nbsp;</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span lang=3D"EN-GB">Tha=
nk you in advance,</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span lang=3D"EN-GB">Re=
inhart</span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span lang=3D"EN-GB">&nbsp;</span><=
/p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span lang=3D"EN-GB">Reinhart Rosner</span></p><p=
 class=3D"MsoNormal">55 100 BN 1</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Vienna - Austria=
</p><br class=3D"MsoNormal"></div><div><br></div></div><div><br></div></div=
></body></html>
------=_Part_12911742_2056026812.1429827838048--

--===============0725986897977696380==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0725986897977696380==--

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:46:44 -0400

Reinhart, The felt pad is a source of lubrication for the brake shoe steady posts where it rubes the brake shoe vertical web so it doesn't squeak when the brakes a applied and released.  Use a heavy machine oil or grease that will wick on to the brake shoe vertical web were it rubes.  

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Reinhart Rosner <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Apr 23, 2015 8:42 pm
Subject: [Healeys] 100 parts

  

  
Thank you in advance,
  
Reinhart

Reinhart Rosner
  
55 100 BN 1
  
Vienna - Austria

_______________________________________________Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.htmlSuggested annual donation  $12.75Archive:http://www.team.net/archiveForums:http://www.team.net/[email-masked]://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeysUnsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 07:10:51 +1000

I would have thought that while the stop is to keep the shoes in correct alignment, the felt pad would have been more of an anti-rattle idea for shoe against the post

John Rowe
Qld Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Larry Wendland
Sent: Saturday, 25 April 2015 6:47 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 parts

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: Reinhart Rosner <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Apr 23, 2015 8:42 pm
Subject: [Healeys] 100 parts

  

  
Thank you in advance,
  
Reinhart

Reinhart Rosner
  
55 100 BN 1
  
Vienna - Austria

[email-masked]