Subject: Re: [Healeys] Question on pulley/belt configuration for air conditioning

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 09:56:34 +1000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4376527335828492431==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01D08719.C59F54B0"
Content-Language: en-au

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D08719.C59F54B0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0008_01D08719.C59F54B0"

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01D08719.C59F54B0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Lin

I personally would go for No 2.=20

No 1 does not have much contact with the alternator pulley, possibly =
=C2=BC to 1/3 of the circumference where No 2 has =C2=BD of the =
circumference. As you have normal belts I believe you would get belt =
slippage at the alternator. This may work if you had flat belts but I =
think it is asking too much of normal v belts.

Regards

John Rowe

Qld Australia

=20

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of =
Linwood Rose
Sent: Tuesday, 5 May 2015 9:42 AM
To: Forum Healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Question on pulley/belt configuration for air =
conditioning

=20

Working on the restoration of a Jaguar MK2 at the moment, and I have a =
question for my healey friends.

=20

I am air conditioning this car. My first configuration of pulleys and =
belts can be seen in Image 1. All on one 1/2=E2=80=9D =
=E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt. This approach continues to use the original =
=E2=80=9Cjockey=E2=80=9D pulley (to the left and above the crank pulley) =
for tensioning the belt although I suppose that it is not really needed =
since in this approach the tension can be adjusted by rotating the =
alternator.

=20

However, I wonder about having the alternator and the compressor on one =
=E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt as in image 2, and then have the crank pulley, =
water pump pulley, compressor and idler pulley (not tensioned) on a =
second =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt. I could accomplish this easily as the =
compressor has two =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt pulleys (one double) and I =
could shift the alternator to the rear to get the proper alignment.

=20

Do I gain much of anything by moving to the two belts?

=20

I have seen several Healeys with the stacked alternator and compressor =
on their own belt. Unlike in the Healey configuration, in my case the =
compressor would be on top and the alternator below.

=20

What are your thoughts? I would appreciate hearing your views about =
this.

=20

Lin Rose

=20

=20

=20

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01D08719.C59F54B0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered medium)"><!--[if =
!mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Hi Lin<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>I personally would go for No 2. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>No 1 does not have much contact with the alternator pulley, possibly =
=C2=BC to 1/3 of the circumference where No 2 has =C2=BD of the =
circumference. As you have normal belts I believe you would get belt =
slippage at the alternator. This may work if you had flat belts but I =
think it is asking too much of normal v belts.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Regards<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>John Rowe<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Qld Australia<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Healeys =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Linwood =
Rose<br><b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, 5 May 2015 9:42 AM<br><b>To:</b> Forum =
Healeys<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] Question on pulley/belt =
configuration for air conditioning<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Working on =
the restoration of a Jaguar MK2 at the moment, and I have a question for =
my healey friends.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I am =
air conditioning this car. My first configuration of pulleys and belts =
can be seen in Image 1. All on one 1/2=E2=80=9D =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D =
belt. This approach continues to use the original =
=E2=80=9Cjockey=E2=80=9D pulley (to the left and above the crank pulley) =
for tensioning the belt although I suppose that it is not really needed =
since in this approach the tension can be adjusted by rotating the =
alternator.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>However, I wonder about having the alternator and the =
compressor on one =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt as in image 2, and then have =
the crank pulley, water pump pulley, compressor and idler pulley (not =
tensioned) on a second =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt. I could accomplish this =
easily as the compressor has two =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt pulleys (one =
double) and I could shift the alternator to the rear to get the proper =
alignment.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Do I gain much of anything by moving to the two =
belts?<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
have seen several Healeys with the stacked alternator and compressor on =
their own belt. Unlike in the Healey configuration, in my case the =
compressor would be on top and the alternator =
below.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>What are your thoughts? I would appreciate hearing =
your views about this.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Lin =
Rose<br><br><br><img width=3D760 height=3D570 =
id=3D"_x0036_A91C752-80BD-4F6C-8919-5EA7CBE80DE6" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><img width=3D641 height=3D760 =
id=3DDD574847-BB79-471D-815D-493968352361 =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></div></div></div></body></h=
tml>
------=_NextPart_001_0008_01D08719.C59F54B0--

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D08719.C59F54B0
	name="image001.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D08719.C59F54B0
	name="image002.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D08719.C59F54B0--

--===============4376527335828492431==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4376527335828492431==--

---

From: "Larry Varley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 10:07:41 +1000

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3683479179641108172==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01D0871B.535D13E0"
Content-Language: en-au

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D0871B.535D13E0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Lin, I prefer the second system. In the first you would have very =
little contact on the water pump pulley if the tensioner was not there. =
I always aim for as much contact area with the pulleys as possible, as =
it will reduce the possibility of slip. The last engine I did was more =
like the second image with the alternator driven by the second =
compressor groove. The car has had regular use for the last 5 years with =
no problems.

Cheers

Larry Varley

=20

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D0871B.535D13E0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Hi Lin, I prefer the second system. In the first you would have very =
little contact on the water pump pulley if the tensioner was not there. =
I always aim for as much contact area with the pulleys as possible, as =
it will reduce the possibility of slip. The last engine I did was more =
like the second image with the alternator driven by the second =
compressor groove. The car has had regular use for the last 5 years with =
no problems.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Cheers<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Larry Varley<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D0871B.535D13E0--

--===============3683479179641108172==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3683479179641108172==--

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 18:20:25 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5189409691344358488==
 boundary="------------000003060304030309090607"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000003060304030309090607
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I agree with the others, however the problem is usually finding the 
right pulleys and water pump shaft length.. I've done 2 like your first 
picture and so far both have worked as advertised. I don't like running 
a V-belt on both sides, but so far so good..
Dave

On 5/4/2015 5:41 PM, Linwood Rose wrote:
> Working on the restoration of a Jaguar MK2 at the moment, and I have a 
> I am air conditioning this car. My first configuration of pulleys and 
> belts can be seen in Image 1. All on one 1/2” “V” belt. This approach 
> continues to use the original “jockey” pulley (to the left and above 
> the crank pulley) for tensioning the belt although I suppose that it 
> is not really needed since in this approach the tension can be 
> adjusted by rotating the alternator.
>
> However, I wonder about having the alternator and the compressor on 
> one “V” belt as in image 2, and then have the crank pulley, water pump 
> pulley, compressor and idler pulley (not tensioned) on a second “V” 
> belt. I could accomplish this easily as the compressor has two “V” 
> belt pulleys (one double) and I could shift the alternator to the rear 
> to get the proper alignment.
>
> I have seen several Healeys with the stacked alternator and compressor 
> on their own belt. Unlike in the Healey configuration, in my case the 
> What are your thoughts? I would appreciate hearing your views about this.
>
> Lin Rose
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------000003060304030309090607
 boundary="------------090409080405010203050202"

--------------090409080405010203050202
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    I agree with the others, however the problem is usually finding the
    right pulleys and water pump shaft length.. I've done 2 like your
    first picture and so far both have worked as advertised. I don't
    like running a V-belt on both sides, but so far so good..<br>
    Dave<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/4/2015 5:41 PM, Linwood Rose
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      Working on the restoration of a Jaguar MK2 at the moment, and I
      have a question for my healey friends.
      <div class=""><br class="">
        <div class="">I am air conditioning this car. My first
          configuration of pulleys and belts can be seen in Image 1. All
          on one 1/2” “V” belt. This approach continues to use the
          original “jockey” pulley (to the left and above the crank
          pulley) for tensioning the belt although I suppose that it is
          not really needed since in this approach the tension can be
          adjusted by rotating the alternator.</div>
        <div class=""><br class="">
        </div>
        <div class="">However, I wonder about having the alternator and
          the compressor on one “V” belt as in image 2, and then have
          the crank pulley, water pump pulley, compressor and idler
          pulley (not tensioned) on a second “V” belt. I could
          accomplish this easily as the compressor has two “V” belt
          pulleys (one double) and I could shift the alternator to the
          rear to get the proper alignment.</div>
        <div class=""><br class="">
        </div>
        <div class="">Do I gain much of anything by moving to the two
          belts?</div>
        <div class=""><br class="">
        </div>
        <div class="">I have seen several Healeys with the stacked
          alternator and compressor on their own belt. Unlike in the
          Healey configuration, in my case the compressor would be on
          top and the alternator below.</div>
        <div class=""><br class="">
        </div>
        <div class="">What are your thoughts? I would appreciate hearing
          your views about this.<br class="">
          <div class=""><br class="">
            <div apple-content-edited="true" class="">Lin Rose<br
                class="">
              <br class="">
              <br class="">
              <img apple-inline="yes"
                id="6A91C752-80BD-4F6C-8919-5EA7CBE80DE6"
                apple-width="yes" apple-height="yes"
                src="cid:[email-masked]"
                class="" height="570" width="760"></div>
            <div apple-content-edited="true" class=""><br class="">
            </div>
            <div apple-content-edited="true" class=""><br class="">
            </div>
            <div class=""><img apple-inline="yes"
                id="DD574847-BB79-471D-815D-493968352361"
                apple-width="yes" apple-height="yes"
                src="cid:[email-masked]"
                class="" height="760" width="641"></div>
            <br class="">
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------090409080405010203050202
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

--------------090409080405010203050202
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

--------------090409080405010203050202--

--------------000003060304030309090607--

--===============5189409691344358488==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5189409691344358488==--

---

From: Linwood Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 20:23:47 -0400

--===============9080218987055203976==
 boundary=Apple-Mail-A94A723F-07B3-4003-A482-434D5768B929
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-A94A723F-07B3-4003-A482-434D5768B929
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Would you keep the Jockey pulley or drop it?

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 4, 2015, at 8:20 PM, David Porter <[email-masked]> wrote=
:
>=20
> I agree with the others, however the problem is usually finding the right p=
ulleys and water pump shaft length.. I've done 2 like your first picture and=
 so far both have worked as advertised. I don't like running a V-belt on bot=
h sides, but so far so good..
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/frogeye=
@porterscustom.com
>>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107 5=
05-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--Apple-Mail-A94A723F-07B3-4003-A482-434D5768B929
	type="text/html";
	boundary=Apple-Mail-541CD36A-ACB0-494F-9D84-55DC9CF2E3C3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-541CD36A-ACB0-494F-9D84-55DC9CF2E3C3
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div>Would you keep the Jockey pulley or drop it?<br><br>Sent from my iPhone</div><div><br>On May 4, 2015, at 8:20 PM, David Porter &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite">
  
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="Content-Type">

    I agree with the others, however the problem is usually finding the
    right pulleys and water pump shaft length.. I've done 2 like your
    first picture and so far both have worked as advertised. I don't
    like running a V-belt on both sides, but so far so good..<br>
    Dave<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br></div><blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]" type="cite"><br><fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Support <a href="http://Team.Net">Team.Net</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>

</blockquote></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-541CD36A-ACB0-494F-9D84-55DC9CF2E3C3
	name=mime-attachment.jpg;
	x-apple-part-url="[email-masked]"
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=mime-attachment.jpg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail-541CD36A-ACB0-494F-9D84-55DC9CF2E3C3
	name=mime-attachment.jpg;
	x-apple-part-url="[email-masked]"
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=mime-attachment.jpg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail-541CD36A-ACB0-494F-9D84-55DC9CF2E3C3--

--Apple-Mail-A94A723F-07B3-4003-A482-434D5768B929--

--===============9080218987055203976==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9080218987055203976==--

---

From: "John Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 10:58:24 +1000

--===============6719891083894454525==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D08722.6F972A80"
Content-Language: en-au

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D08722.6F972A80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Lin

I would get rid of them. They run on the back of the belt which I don't
think would be good on v-belts. You will not have long belts which would
require them

They are unnecessary and only something else that can go wrong. I work on
the KISS system!

John Rowe

Qld Australia

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Linwood
Rose
Sent: Tuesday, 5 May 2015 10:24 AM
To: David Porter
Cc: Forum Healeys
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Question on pulley/belt configuration for air
conditioning

Sent from my iPhone

On May 4, 2015, at 8:20 PM, David Porter <[email-masked]> wrote:

I agree with the others, however the problem is usually finding the right
pulleys and water pump shaft length.. I've done 2 like your first picture
and so far both have worked as advertised. I don't like running a V-belt on
both sides, but so far so good..
Dave

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D08722.6F972A80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:"Consolas","serif";}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Lin<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>I would get rid of them. They run on the back of the belt which I =
don&#8217;t think would be good on v-belts. You will not have long belts =
which would require them<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>They are unnecessary and only something else that can go wrong. I =
work on the KISS system!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>John Rowe<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Qld Australia<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Healeys =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Linwood =
Rose<br><b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, 5 May 2015 10:24 AM<br><b>To:</b> David =
Porter<br><b>Cc:</b> Forum Healeys<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] =
Question on pulley/belt configuration for air =
conditioning<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Would =
you keep the Jockey pulley or drop it?<br><br>Sent from my =
iPhone<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br>On May 4, 2015, at 8:20 PM, David =
Porter &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&g=
t; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>I agree with the others, however the =
problem is usually finding the right pulleys and water pump shaft =
length.. I've done 2 like your first picture and so far both have worked =
as advertised. I don't like running a V-belt on both sides, but so far =
so good..<br>Dave<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></p></blockquote></blockquote></=
div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D08722.6F972A80--

--===============6719891083894454525==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6719891083894454525==--

---

From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 11:08:21 +1000

--===============6227211868180770017==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006F_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0"
Content-Language: en-au

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0070_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0"

------=_NextPart_001_0070_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

G=E2=80=99day Lin

=20

Personally I would go for the twin belt arrangement for better contact =
with the alternator.

=20

Some years back we had a Jaguar Mk2 for everyday use. It was a lovely =
car, but it suffered from one problem =E2=80=93 if a spanner fitted it =
was a design fault!

=20

We have 4 kids and back then the two youngest ones were quite small and =
my wife started talking about air conditioning. Eventually the talk =
became a little more serious and I fitted air con to the car. I should =
say that it wasn=E2=80=99t during the course of a restoration, but over =
a couple of days. I think the compressor came from either a Toyota =
Corolla or a Honda Civic while the rest of it came from an aftermarket =
underdash system along with the various widgets around the radiator.

=20

Worked beautifully and my wife was happy. Then the call came saying that =
the car had stopped a long way from home with lots of funny noises from =
both the kids and car.

=20

On inspection I found out that the funny noises was exactly what it =
sounds like when the timing/camshafts chains start to let go and flail, =
about which in a Jaguar engine means that valves start to hit pistons. =
The moral of that story is that when that much extra stress is placed on =
the front of an old engine you should expect trouble.

=20

So that car was replaced by a Jaguar XJ6 S2 which was a lovely car that =
soon had serious body problems around the roof. Would you believe that =
back then in this part of the world Jaguar used to ship some of their =
cars to New Zealand without the roof to save on the cost of shipping and =
then the roofs would be united with the rest of the car and then shipped =
to Australia.

=20

Hoo Roo

=20

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

Lin Rose

=20

=20

=20

------=_NextPart_001_0070_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered medium)"><!--[if =
!mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-AU link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>G=E2=80=99day Lin<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Personally I would go =
for the twin belt arrangement for better contact with the =
alternator.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Some years back we =
had a Jaguar Mk2 for everyday use. It was a lovely car, but it suffered =
from one problem =E2=80=93 if a spanner fitted it was a design =
fault!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We have 4 kids and =
back then the two youngest ones were quite small and my wife started =
talking about air conditioning. Eventually the talk became a little more =
serious and I fitted air con to the car. I should say that it =
wasn=E2=80=99t during the course of a restoration, but over a couple of =
days. I think the compressor came from either a Toyota Corolla or a =
Honda Civic while the rest of it came from an aftermarket underdash =
system along with the various widgets around the =
radiator.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Worked beautifully =
and my wife was happy. Then the call came saying that the car had =
stopped a long way from home with lots of funny noises from both the =
kids and car.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>On inspection I found =
out that the funny noises was exactly what it sounds like when the =
timing/camshafts chains start to let go and flail, about which in a =
Jaguar engine means that valves start to hit pistons. The moral of that =
story is that when that much extra stress is placed on the front of an =
old engine you should expect trouble.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>So that car was =
replaced by a Jaguar XJ6 S2 which was a lovely car that soon had serious =
body problems around the roof. Would you believe that back then in this =
part of the world Jaguar used to ship some of their cars to New Zealand =
without the roof to save on the cost of shipping and then the roofs =
would be united with the rest of the car and then shipped to =
Australia.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Hoo =
Roo<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Patrick =
Quinn<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Blue Mountains, =
Australia<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Healeys =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Linwood =
Rose<br><b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, 5 May 2015 9:42 AM<br><b>To:</b> Forum =
Healeys<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] Question on pulley/belt =
configuration for air conditioning<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Working on =
the restoration of a Jaguar MK2 at the moment, and I have a question for =
my healey friends.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I am =
air conditioning this car. My first configuration of pulleys and belts =
can be seen in Image 1. All on one 1/2=E2=80=9D =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D =
belt. This approach continues to use the original =
=E2=80=9Cjockey=E2=80=9D pulley (to the left and above the crank pulley) =
for tensioning the belt although I suppose that it is not really needed =
since in this approach the tension can be adjusted by rotating the =
alternator.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>However, I wonder about having the alternator and the =
compressor on one =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt as in image 2, and then have =
the crank pulley, water pump pulley, compressor and idler pulley (not =
tensioned) on a second =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt. I could accomplish this =
easily as the compressor has two =E2=80=9CV=E2=80=9D belt pulleys (one =
double) and I could shift the alternator to the rear to get the proper =
alignment.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Do I gain much of anything by moving to the two =
belts?<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>I =
have seen several Healeys with the stacked alternator and compressor on =
their own belt. Unlike in the Healey configuration, in my case the =
compressor would be on top and the alternator =
below.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>What are your thoughts? I would appreciate hearing =
your views about this.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>Lin =
Rose<br><br><br><img width=3D760 height=3D570 =
id=3D"_x0036_A91C752-80BD-4F6C-8919-5EA7CBE80DE6" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><img width=3D641 height=3D760 =
id=3DDD574847-BB79-471D-815D-493968352361 =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></div></div></div></body></h=
tml>
------=_NextPart_001_0070_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0--

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0
	name="image001.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0
	name="image002.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01D087EC.F7E3FDD0--

--===============6227211868180770017==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6227211868180770017==--

---

From: Linwood Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 21:15:42 -0400

Patrick,
Always great to hear from you! I was hoping for a happier ending to your story!

John, David, Larry,  and Jerry: Thank you all for your responses.
Looks like I will be going with two belts!

Lin

> On May 5, 2015, at 9:08 PM, Patrick & Caroline Quinn <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> G’day Lin
>  
> Personally I would go for the twin belt arrangement for better contact with the alternator.
>  
> Some years back we had a Jaguar Mk2 for everyday use. It was a lovely car, but it suffered from one problem – if a spanner fitted it was a design fault!
>  
> We have 4 kids and back then the two youngest ones were quite small and my wife started talking about air conditioning. Eventually the talk became a little more serious and I fitted air con to the car. I should say that it wasn’t during the course of a restoration, but over a couple of days. I think the compressor came from either a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic while the rest of it came from an aftermarket underdash system along with the various widgets around the radiator.
>  
> Worked beautifully and my wife was happy. Then the call came saying that the car had stopped a long way from home with lots of funny noises from both the kids and car.
>  
> On inspection I found out that the funny noises was exactly what it sounds like when the timing/camshafts chains start to let go and flail, about which in a Jaguar engine means that valves start to hit pistons. The moral of that story is that when that much extra stress is placed on the front of an old engine you should expect trouble.
>  
> So that car was replaced by a Jaguar XJ6 S2 which was a lovely car that soon had serious body problems around the roof. Would you believe that back then in this part of the world Jaguar used to ship some of their cars to New Zealand without the roof to save on the cost of shipping and then the roofs would be united with the rest of the car and then shipped to Australia.
>  
> Hoo Roo
>  
> Patrick Quinn
> From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Linwood Rose
> Subject: [Healeys] Question on pulley/belt configuration for air conditioning
>  
> Working on the restoration of a Jaguar MK2 at the moment, and I have a question for my healey friends.
>  
> I am air conditioning this car. My first configuration of pulleys and belts can be seen in Image 1. All on one 1/2” “V” belt. This approach continues to use the original “jockey” pulley (to the left and above the crank pulley) for tensioning the belt although I suppose that it is not really needed since in this approach the tension can be adjusted by rotating the alternator.
>  
> However, I wonder about having the alternator and the compressor on one “V” belt as in image 2, and then have the crank pulley, water pump pulley, compressor and idler pulley (not tensioned) on a second “V” belt. I could accomplish this easily as the compressor has two “V” belt pulleys (one double) and I could shift the alternator to the rear to get the proper alignment.
>  
> I have seen several Healeys with the stacked alternator and compressor on their own belt. Unlike in the Healey configuration, in my case the compressor would be on top and the alternator below.
>  

Lin Rose

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]