Subject: Re: [Healeys] brake squeal

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 22:26:03 -0700

Brake squeal is mysterious; no hard-and-fast causes and solutions. 
Supposedly, it's due to 'vibration;' I think it's due to evil spirits in 
the pads and rotors.  Will say I have never had it on my BJ8 with a 
couple different sets of rotors and pads; it appears the shims do the job.

There is a specific procedure for breaking in new pads; it consists of 
hard stops from increasing speeds with a cooling-off period in between.  
You might try that to see what happens.

Bob

On 5/6/2015 7:47 PM, healeymanjim wrote:
> took the barn find for a long enough run yesterday to heat up the brakes and they began to really squeal.  have new pads, the softest they had, and they had a small sticky pad on the back of the metal so I made the assumption that they were the shims.  after I pulled the pads and put on that brake anti-squeal and did another run I swear it was louder.  do I need the little metal shims like on the bj8.  they have only a few miles on them, so the pads may have to wear in, but how long should it take.  since the rotors sat for 25 years, could it be the problem?  TIA for any help.
> _______________________________________________
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Per Schoerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 23:09:02 +0200

Hi
When I replaced the rotors and brake pads on my car some time ago they 
were really noisy. The rotors I put on are EBC and they are "dimpled", 
e.g. there are some dimples and "ditches" in them. The pads I use are 
EBC "Green stuff" and they had a "braking in" surface on them, once that 
surface was worn out the noise is gone and the it brakes like a dream.

Per

healeymanjim skrev den 2015-05-07 04:47:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Kahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 16:05:10 -0700

--===============5174117217409104959==
	boundary="_9e42edad-f8df-4e84-a9c8-4fdb59731e07_"

--_9e42edad-f8df-4e84-a9c8-4fdb59731e07_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I used the green stuff and never had any noise. It did come with some anti =
squeal pads but I did not use them. I really like the green stuff. Very lit=
tle dust.
Rich Kahn

> Date: Thu=2C 7 May 2015 23:09:02 +0200
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] brake squeal
>=20
> Hi
> When I replaced the rotors and brake pads on my car some time ago they=20
> were really noisy. The rotors I put on are EBC and they are "dimpled"=2C=
=20
> e.g. there are some dimples and "ditches" in them. The pads I use are=20
> EBC "Green stuff" and they had a "braking in" surface on them=2C once tha=
t=20
>=20
>=20
> > took the barn find for a long enough run yesterday to heat up the brake=
s and they began to really squeal.  have new pads=2C the softest they had=
=2C and they had a small sticky pad on the back of the metal so I made the =
assumption that they were the shims.  after I pulled the pads and put on th=
at brake anti-squeal and did another run I swear it was louder.  do I need =
the little metal shims like on the bj8.  they have only a few miles on them=
=2C so the pads may have to wear in=2C but how long should it take.  since =
the rotors sat for 25 years=2C could it be the problem?  TIA for any help.
> > Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/per@s=
choerner.se
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/tahoehe=
[email-masked]
>=20
 		 	   		  =

--_9e42edad-f8df-4e84-a9c8-4fdb59731e07_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<style><!--
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
<body class=3D'hmmessage'><div dir=3D'ltr'>I used the green stuff and never=
 had any noise. It did come with some anti squeal pads but I did not use th=
em. I really like the green stuff. Very little dust.<br>Rich Kahn<br><br><b=
r><div>&gt=3B Date: Thu=2C 7 May 2015 23:09:02 +0200<br>&gt=3B From: per@sc=
hoerner.se<br>&gt=3B To: [email-masked]<br>&gt=3B Subject: Re: [Hea=
leys] brake squeal<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Hi<br>&gt=3B When I replaced the ro=
tors and brake pads on my car some time ago they <br>&gt=3B were really noi=
sy. The rotors I put on are EBC and they are "dimpled"=2C <br>&gt=3B e.g. t=
here are some dimples and "ditches" in them. The pads I use are <br>&gt=3B =
EBC "Green stuff" and they had a "braking in" surface on them=2C once that =
<br>&gt=3B surface was worn out the noise is gone and the it brakes like a =
dream.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Per<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B healeymanjim skrev den=
 2015-05-07 04:47:<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B took the barn find for a long enough ru=
n yesterday to heat up the brakes and they began to really squeal.  have ne=
w pads=2C the softest they had=2C and they had a small sticky pad on the ba=
ck of the metal so I made the assumption that they were the shims.  after I=
 pulled the pads and put on that brake anti-squeal and did another run I sw=
ear it was louder.  do I need the little metal shims like on the bj8.  they=
 have only a few miles on them=2C so the pads may have to wear in=2C but ho=
w long should it take.  since the rotors sat for 25 years=2C could it be th=
e problem?  TIA for any help.<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B ____________________________=
___________________<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/d=
onate.html<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>&gt=3B &gt=
=3B Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Forums: http://ww=
w.team.net/forums<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B [email-masked]<=
br>&gt=3B &gt=3B http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br>&gt=3B &=
gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/op=
tions/healeys/[email-masked]<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B<br>&gt=3B =
_______________________________________________<br>&gt=3B Support Team.Net =
<br>&gt=3B Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt=3B Forums: http://ww=
w.team.net/forums<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B [email-masked]<br>&gt=3B htt=
p://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Unsubscrib=
e/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/tahoehealey@hotmail=
.com<br>&gt=3B <br></div> 		 	   		  </div></body>
</html>=

--_9e42edad-f8df-4e84-a9c8-4fdb59731e07_--

--===============5174117217409104959==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5174117217409104959==--