Subject: [Healeys] Clutch Slave push rod problem

From: philip fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:33:01 +0100

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--===============0262382356012169304==
	boundary="B_3518008385_547628"

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--B_3518008385_547628
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Hi all, 

Last week  a friend and myself  installed a new clutch master cylinder and
slave cylinder on my 1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7. On removing the slave we
noticed that a small nut had been put on to the end of the slave cylinder
push rod by a previous owner (I have owned that car for 25 years so it was
some time ago!). 

Why we wondered?

We put on the new slave (without the nut) and bled the system. Low and
behold without the nut we where unable to engage gear as there was very
little movement on the clutch pedal. Realizing that  the the nut had been
put there for a reason we removed the push rod from the slave and replaced
the nut (1/4 " in width) and hey presto we then got more movement on the
pedal and could engae all the gears. the push rod appeared to be a standard
size.

 I have now got a extended push rod, but as its 14mm longer than the
standard one it may not work.

Does anybody know whats going on? We assume that the real problem lies
inside the gear box. What would be a better solution (without going inside
the box)?

Any help welcome.

Phil

--B_3518008385_547628
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf=
-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -we=
bkit-line-break: after-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 16px; fo=
nt-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><div>Hi all,&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div=
>Last week &nbsp;a friend and myself &nbsp;installed a new clutch master cyl=
inder and
 slave cylinder on my 1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7. On removing the slave
 we noticed that a small nut had been put on to the end of the slave 
cylinder push rod by a previous owner (I have owned that car for 25 
years so it was some time ago!). <br>
<br>
Why we wondered?<br>
<br>
We put on the new slave (without the nut) and bled the system. Low and 
behold without the nut we where unable to engage gear as there was very 
little movement on the clutch pedal. Realizing that  the the nut had 
been put there for a reason we removed the push rod from the slave and 
replaced the nut (1/4 " in width) and hey presto we then got more 
movement on the pedal and could engae all the gears. the push rod 
appeared to be a standard size.</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp;I have now g=
ot a extended push rod, but as its 14mm longer than the standard one it may =
not work.<br>
<br>
Does anybody know whats going on? We assume that the real problem lies 
inside the gear box. What would be a better solution (without going 
inside the box)?</div><div><br>Any help welcome.<br>
<br>
Phil</div></body></html>

--B_3518008385_547628--

--===============0262382356012169304==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0262382356012169304==--

---

From: "Al Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:06:57 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5623167302084121610==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--17d063f57b50428d906b84884bfb8d38
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Phil:
  
 You don't mention the reason for having to replace the clutch master and 
slave cylinders, so my answer below does not take into account any 
interaction between what may have caused that and your rod length 
dilemma...
  
 All that said, if it ran 25 years for you with the nut making the clutch 
rod longer, what is stopping you from just putting it back like it was and 
driving another 25 years!?!
  
  Al Fuller
[email-masked]

'65 A-H BJ-8
'85 Rx-7 GSL-SE

----------------------------------------
 From: "philip fish" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Clutch Slave push rod problem   
 Hi all, 

Why we wondered?

Any help welcome.

Phil

--17d063f57b50428d906b84884bfb8d38
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<span style=3D"font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif; font-size: 12px">=
<div>Hi Phil:</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>You don't mention the reason for having to replace the clutch master a=
nd slave cylinders, so my answer below does not take into account any inter=
action between what may have caused that and your rod length dilemma...</di=
v>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>All that said, if it ran 25 years for you with the nut making the clut=
ch rod longer, what is stopping you from just putting it back like it was a=
nd driving another 25 years!?!</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>
<div>Al Fuller<br />
[email-masked]<br />
<br />
'65 A-H BJ-8<br />
'85 Rx-7 GSL-SE</div>
</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<hr align=3D"center" size=3D"2" width=3D"100%" />
<div><span style=3D"font-family: tahoma,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"=
><b>From</b>: &quot;philip fish&quot; &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br />
<b>Sent</b>: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:41 AM<br />
<b>To</b>: [email-masked]<br />
<b>Subject</b>: [Healeys] Clutch Slave push rod problem</span>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>Hi all,&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>Last week &nbsp;a friend and myself &nbsp;installed a new clutch maste=
r cylinder and slave cylinder on my 1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7. On removin=
g the slave we noticed that a small nut had been put on to the end of the s=
lave cylinder push rod by a previous owner (I have owned that car for 25 ye=
ars so it was some time ago!).<br />
<br />
Why we wondered?<br />
<br />
We put on the new slave (without the nut) and bled the system. Low and beho=
ld without the nut we where unable to engage gear as there was very little =
movement on the clutch pedal. Realizing that the the nut had been put there=
 for a reason we removed the push rod from the slave and replaced the nut (=
1/4 &quot; in width) and hey presto we then got more movement on the pedal =
and could engae all the gears. the push rod appeared to be a standard size.=
</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;I have now got a extended push rod, but as its 14mm longer than =
the standard one it may not work.<br />
<br />
Does anybody know whats going on? We assume that the real problem lies insi=
de the gear box. What would be a better solution (without going inside the =
box)?</div>

<div><br />
Any help welcome.<br />
<br />
Phil</div>
</div></span>

--17d063f57b50428d906b84884bfb8d38--

--===============5623167302084121610==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5623167302084121610==--