Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel gauge - was Thanks to the list

From: "Bluehealey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 18:08:54 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3824325780989339691==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0035_01D0A604.036AB830"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01D0A604.036AB830
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Nice motor Ross.

Love the colour way.

Regarding fuel gauges - they may have been accurate(ish) back in the day but
with new senders the resistance at full can vary.  Mine gives 107ohms at
full tank!  I think Joe Lucas specified 90ohms so the gauge can be forgiven
for being incorrect.  Despite spending a lot of time recalibrating my gauge
to suit the output of the new sender it is still off considerably. This may
be because the windings aren't linear.

Anyhow my rule of thumb is to fill to brim at every gas stop and then refill
before 250 miles. If the needle is moving around, you have gas. If it is
hard at the top stop you have a wiring fault.

JM2C

  _________________________________________

(______________ Alan Bromfield_______________)

        (______\__1957-BN4__1959-AN5__/______)

                       (_____BlueHealey.com______)

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ross
Sent: 13 June 2015 15:35
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Thanks to the list

Gentlemen 

I have been meaning to thank everyone who replied regarding my ask 'for an
elegant solution for a radiator overflow bottle'. Well that had to be the
dumbest question of the year by far.  Your offered solution .don't top up
the radiator it will find its balance. Works like a charm, who knew? Well
obviously everyone on the list but me, duh. 

Next thanks for the advice on the gas gauge permanently reading full that
caused me to come to a halt in the midst of what was a  wonderful drive in
the Healey. It just needed a ground as recommended. The gauge is still a
little erratic but I will play with it some more to see if it smooth's out.
Or does it? Are the gas gauges fairly accurate or are they just a rough
guideline to gas amounts? I have a new tank, a new sender unit and new
wiring.

And finally not to bring up another long debated subject but last night's
adventure in the garage was to install a Texas Cooler. Not because I was
over heating and not for any reason other than the lousy paint job I did on
my original fans was flaking off and I was surprised I could find a Texas
cooler since they are not being made anymore. 

Cheers

Ross

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01D0A604.036AB830
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.PlainTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text";
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Nice motor =
Ross.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Love the colour way.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Regarding fuel gauges =
&#8211; they may have been accurate(ish) back in the day but with new =
senders the resistance at full can vary.&nbsp; Mine gives 107ohms at =
full tank!&nbsp; I think Joe Lucas specified 90ohms so the gauge can be =
forgiven for being incorrect.&nbsp; Despite spending a lot of time =
recalibrating my gauge to suit the output of the new sender it is still =
off considerably. This may be because the windings aren&#8217;t =
linear.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Anyhow my rule of thumb is to fill to brim at =
every gas stop and then refill before 250 miles. If the needle is moving =
around, you have gas. If it is hard at the top stop you have a wiring =
fault.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>JM2C<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&nbsp; =
_________________________________________<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>(______________ Alan =
Bromfield_______________)<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;(______\__1957-BN4__1959-AN5__/______)<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp; (_____BlueHealey.com______)<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Healeys =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Ross<br><b>Sent:</b> 13 June 2015 15:35<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] Thanks to the =
list<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>Gentlemen <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>I have been meaning to thank everyone who replied regarding =
my ask &#8216;for an elegant solution for a radiator overflow =
bottle&#8217;. Well that had to be the dumbest question of the year by =
far. &nbsp;Your offered solution &#8230;don&#8217;t top up the radiator =
it will find its balance. Works like a charm, who knew? Well obviously =
everyone on the list but me, duh. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-US>Next thanks for the advice on the =
gas gauge permanently reading full that caused me to come to a halt in =
the midst of what was a &nbsp;wonderful drive in the Healey. It just =
needed a ground as recommended. The gauge is still a little erratic but =
I will play with it some more to see if it smooth&#8217;s out. Or does =
it? Are the gas gauges fairly accurate or are they just a rough =
guideline to gas amounts? I have a new tank, a new sender unit and new =
wiring.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>And finally not to bring up another long debated subject =
but last night&#8217;s adventure in the garage was to install a Texas =
Cooler. Not because I was over heating and not for any reason other than =
the lousy paint job I did on my original fans was flaking off and I was =
surprised I could find a Texas cooler since they are not being made =
anymore. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>Cheers<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>Ross<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0035_01D0A604.036AB830--

--===============3824325780989339691==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3824325780989339691==--