Subject: Re: [Healeys] rebuilt HD8s

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 23:19:45 +0200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1073096825443857054==
 boundary="------------090005040200000009000207"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------090005040200000009000207
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When you apply the breaks you will get a difference in vacuum for a 
moment. This will change your mixture and idle speed. If the change in 
idling continues there might be a leak in the servo. Is it right that 
the AH has a piston type servo? If so the small leakage past the piston 
might be the cause.
Before the carbs were overhauled this may not have been noticed as the 
leakage past the butterfly spindles was probably to big compared to the 
small leak past the servo piston.
Kees Oudesluijs

George Vernau Sr schreef op 3-6-2015 om 22:56:
> I recently rebuilt the HD8 carbs on my 1967 BJ8 and the car runs great 
> again (although the price of carb kits is just crazy these days). 
> However, I notice a slight increase in idle speed whenever I put my 
> foot on the brake, like when sitting at a light.  I can't ever 
> remember noticing this before, is there a vacuum leak or is the 
> booster not working properly? Any ideas?
> Thanks for any input,
> George Vernau
> Houston TX
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5961 / Virusdatabase: 4355/9936 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 06/03/15
>

--------------090005040200000009000207
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">When you apply the breaks you will get
      a difference in vacuum for a moment. This will change your mixture
      and idle speed. If the change in idling continues there might be a
      leak in the servo. Is it right that the AH has a piston type
      servo? If so the small leakage past the piston might be the cause.<br>
      Before the carbs were overhauled this may not have been noticed as
      the leakage past the butterfly spindles was probably to big
      compared to the small leak past the servo piston.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      George Vernau Sr schreef op 3-6-2015 om 22:56:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:CAKh-oiHn=8g61C-WpYY4v9o2GHRLThXB4qJJ=O+CeDT=[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">I recently rebuilt the HD8 carbs on my 1967 BJ8 and
        the car runs great again (although the price of carb kits is
        just crazy these days). However, I notice a slight increase in
        idle speed whenever I put my foot on the brake, like when
        sitting at a light.  I can't ever remember noticing this before,
        is there a vacuum leak or is the booster not working properly? 
        Any ideas?
        <div>Thanks for any input,</div>
        <div>George Vernau</div>
        <div>Houston TX</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <p class="">Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.<br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5961 / Virusdatabase: 4355/9936 - datum van
        uitgifte: 06/03/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------090005040200000009000207--

--===============1073096825443857054==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1073096825443857054==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 23:36:04 +0000 (UTC)

--===============5763058512733334512==
	boundary="----=_Part_14218517_1846203625.1433374564338"

------=_Part_14218517_1846203625.1433374564338
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Almost certainly a leak at the servo. When you apply brakes, a small slave cylinder in the servo moves a valve which gates atmospheric pressure into the outer part of the large air/vacuum piston (vacuum is held on both sides when brakes are not being applied). If this valve is not sealing completely it could allow atmospheric pressure air into the manifold (there is a check valve on the servo to prevent this and hold some vacuum in the event of engine failure at speed, but it could leak, too). 

Now that you've done the carbs, it's on to the servo! ;) 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

From: "George Vernau Sr" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Healey list" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:56:17 PM 
Subject: [Healeys] rebuilt HD8s 

I recently rebuilt the HD8 carbs on my 1967 BJ8 and the car runs great again (although the price of carb kits is just crazy these days). However, I notice a slight increase in idle speed whenever I put my foot on the brake, like when sitting at a light. I can't ever remember noticing this before, is there a vacuum leak or is the booster not working properly? Any ideas? 
Thanks for any input, 
George Vernau 
Houston TX 

------=_Part_14218517_1846203625.1433374564338
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Almost certainly a leak at the servo.&=
nbsp; When you apply brakes, a small slave cylinder in the servo moves a va=
lve which gates atmospheric pressure into the outer part of the large air/v=
acuum piston (vacuum is held on both sides when brakes are not being applie=
d).&nbsp; If this valve is not sealing completely it could allow atmospheri=
c pressure air into the manifold (there is a check valve on the servo to pr=
event this and hold some vacuum in the event of engine failure at speed, bu=
t it could leak, too).<br></div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body"><br></div>=
<div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Now that you've done the carbs, it's on to=
 the servo!&nbsp;&nbsp; ;)<br></div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body"><br></=
div><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">Bob<br></div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"=
zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-d=
ecoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;" data=
-mce-style=3D"color: #000; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-de=
coration: none; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">=
<b>From: </b>"George Vernau Sr" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"He=
aley list" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Wednesday, June 3=
, 2015 1:56:17 PM<br><b>Subject: </b>[Healeys] rebuilt HD8s<br><div><br></d=
iv><div dir=3D"ltr">I recently rebuilt the HD8 carbs on my 1967 BJ8 and the=
 car runs great again (although the price of carb kits is just crazy these =
days). However, I notice a slight increase in idle speed whenever I put my =
foot on the brake, like when sitting at a light.&nbsp; I can't ever remembe=
r noticing this before, is there a vacuum leak or is the booster not workin=
g properly?&nbsp; Any ideas?<div>Thanks for any input,</div><div>George Ver=
nau</div><div>Houston TX</div></div><br>___________________________________=
____________<br><br><div><br></div></div><div><br></div></div></body></html=
------=_Part_14218517_1846203625.1433374564338--

--===============5763058512733334512==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5763058512733334512==--

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 21:28:41 -0400

George,  I'm the original owner of my '67 BJ8 and back when my Healey was new, just for curiosity while sitting at a red light I would pump the brake peddle and watch the RPM rise and settle back down after stopping the peddle pumping.  When the brake peddle is pressed and released, atmospheric pressure is introduced to the vacuum side of the booster diaphragm and thus fresh air is introduced to the intake manifold when the vacuum is restored leaning out the the slightly rich mixture that is present at idle momentarily causing the RPM to increase.  It is a normal phenomena.  I hope this makes sense. 

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: George Vernau Sr <[email-masked]>
To: Healey list <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Jun 3, 2015 4:56 pm
Subject: [Healeys] rebuilt HD8s

  
George Vernau  
  
Houston TX  

_______________________________________________Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.htmlSuggested annual donation  $12.75Archive:http://www.team.net/archiveForums:http://www.team.net/[email-masked]://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeysUnsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: George Vernau Sr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 22:12:59 -0500

--===============8502527648972090792==

--001a11c38d1a7eb5540517a88d0f

Bob-
That's sort of what I expected to hear- thanks for the excellent and
succinct explanation.
George Vernau
Houston TX

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Almost certainly a leak at the servo.  When you apply brakes, a small
> slave cylinder in the servo moves a valve which gates atmospheric pressure
> into the outer part of the large air/vacuum piston (vacuum is held on both
> sides when brakes are not being applied).  If this valve is not sealing
> completely it could allow atmospheric pressure air into the manifold (there
> is a check valve on the servo to prevent this and hold some vacuum in the
> event of engine failure at speed, but it could leak, too).
>
> ------------------------------
> *From: *"George Vernau Sr" <[email-masked]>
> *To: *"Healey list" <[email-masked]>
> *Sent: *Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:56:17 PM
> *Subject: *[Healeys] rebuilt HD8s
>
> again (although the price of carb kits is just crazy these days). However,
> I notice a slight increase in idle speed whenever I put my foot on the
> brake, like when sitting at a light.  I can't ever remember noticing this
> before, is there a vacuum leak or is the booster not working properly?  Any
> ideas?
> Thanks for any input,
> George Vernau
> Houston TX
>

--001a11c38d1a7eb5540517a88d0f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Bob-<div>That&#39;s sort of what I expected to hear- thank=
s for the excellent and succinct explanation.</div><div>George Vernau</div>=
<div><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)"><font face=3D"arial, helvetica, sans-=
serif">Houston TX</font></span><br></div><div><br></div></div><div class=3D=
"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM=
, Bob Spidell <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
 target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquot=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-family:Arial;font-size:12pt;co=
lor:#000000"><div>Almost certainly a leak at the servo.=C2=A0 When you appl=
y brakes, a small slave cylinder in the servo moves a valve which gates atm=
ospheric pressure into the outer part of the large air/vacuum piston (vacuu=
m is held on both sides when brakes are not being applied).=C2=A0 If this v=
alve is not sealing completely it could allow atmospheric pressure air into=
 the manifold (there is a check valve on the servo to prevent this and hold=
 some vacuum in the event of engine failure at speed, but it could leak, to=
o).<br></div><div><br></div><div>Now that you&#39;ve done the carbs, it&#39=
;s on to the servo!=C2=A0=C2=A0 ;)<br></div><div><br></div><div>Bob<br></di=
v><div><br></div><hr><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style=
:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-si=
ze:12pt"><b>From: </b>&quot;George Vernau Sr&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gv=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br><b>To: </b>=
&quot;Healey list&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" targe=
t=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Wednesday, June=
 3, 2015 1:56:17 PM<br><b>Subject: </b>[Healeys] rebuilt HD8s<br><div><br><=
/div><div dir=3D"ltr">I recently rebuilt the HD8 carbs on my 1967 BJ8 and t=
he car runs great again (although the price of carb kits is just crazy thes=
e days). However, I notice a slight increase in idle speed whenever I put m=
y foot on the brake, like when sitting at a light.=C2=A0 I can&#39;t ever r=
emember noticing this before, is there a vacuum leak or is the booster not =
working properly?=C2=A0 Any ideas?<div>Thanks for any input,</div><div>Geor=
ge Vernau</div><div>Houston TX</div></div><br>_____________________________=
__________________<br><br><div><br></div></div><div><br></div></div></div><=
/blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a11c38d1a7eb5540517a88d0f--

--===============8502527648972090792==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8502527648972090792==--