Subject: [Healeys] In Defence of the MGC

From: Jack Feldman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 18:25:44 -0500

--===============1398893218601822895==

--001a11c2f33ec6beb00517a5609b

"Don't confuse it with the C which never really worked." But it does now.

MGC wners have had over 40 years to get it right. There are a number of
mods to correct the stupidity of BMC.The first time I went around a corner
I thought it would roll over. Easy fix. It already had tube shocks on the
front and it was an easy mod to put Spax adjustables all round. That and an
uprated roll bar tamed the beast . It still wasn't nimble, but was, as it
reputation says, a great road car.

I used to to go to MGC events all over the country. I usually was
comfortable enough to do it in one day no matte how far. Pensacola to
Downers Grove in 18 hours. I did start at 2:00AM so I had over 7 hours of
unimpeded Sunday roads to give me a good jump on distance. Also drove from
Downers Grove to the Minneapolis MG meet,then from there to Portland Oregon
where it now lives with my son. Great for all those west coast meets.

Now for nimble. Portland's All British Field Meet has a Sunday morning
rally. When that took us to the hills over the Columbia River Gorge it was
a chore to follow the winding up and down roads. Because of the weight of
the engine they decided that steering should be 31/2 turns lock to lock
instead of th21/2 of the MGB. No problem on expressways, but narrow winding
roads were a chore. Enter the quick rack. A mod that puts steering back to
21/2 turns. Works great on those winding roads.

Yes, the MGC as was botched by BMC justly deserved a bum rap, but most
things can be rectified with after market mods.

The problem with Austin Healey folks is that our cars are so much better
than the MGC that it easy to look down on them. A sign of the unmitigated
gall of BMC was to suggest that the C be badged as a Healey.

The C is what it is, and is still enjoyable to rally and tour.

Jack
BT7
MGC
MGBGT

--001a11c2f33ec6beb00517a5609b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">&qu=
ot;Don&#39;t confuse it with the C which never really worked.&quot; But it =
does now. <br><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:lar=
ge">MGC wners have had over 40 years to get it right. There are a number of=
 mods to correct the stupidity of BMC.The first time I went around a corner=
 I thought it would roll over. Easy fix. It already had tube shocks on the =
front and it was an easy mod to put Spax adjustables all round. That and an=
 uprated roll bar tamed the beast . It still wasn&#39;t nimble, but was, as=
 it reputation says, a great road car. <br><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_de=
fault" style=3D"font-size:large">I used to to go to MGC events all over the=
 country. I usually was comfortable enough to do it in one day no matte how=
 far. Pensacola to Downers Grove in 18 hours. I did start at 2:00AM so I ha=
d over 7 hours of unimpeded Sunday roads to give me a good jump on distance=
. Also drove from Downers Grove to the Minneapolis MG meet,then from there =
to Portland Oregon where it now lives with my son. Great for all those west=
 coast meets. <br><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size=
:large">Now for nimble. Portland&#39;s All British Field Meet has a Sunday =
morning rally. When that took us to the hills over the Columbia River Gorge=
 it was a chore to follow the winding up and down roads. Because of the wei=
ght of the engine they decided that steering should be 31/2 turns lock to l=
ock instead of th21/2 of the MGB. No problem on expressways, but narrow win=
ding roads were a chore. Enter the quick rack. A mod that puts steering bac=
k to 21/2 turns. Works great on those winding roads.<br><br></div><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Yes, the MGC as was botched b=
y BMC justly deserved a bum rap, but most things can be rectified with afte=
r market mods.<br><br>The problem with Austin Healey folks is that our cars=
 are so much better than the MGC that it easy to look down on them. A sign =
of the unmitigated gall of BMC was to suggest that the C be badged as a Hea=
ley. <br><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">T=
he C is what it is, and is still enjoyable to rally and tour.<br><br></div>=
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Jack <br></div><div =
class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">BT7<br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">MGC<br></div><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"font-size:large">MGBGT<br></div></div>

--001a11c2f33ec6beb00517a5609b--

--===============1398893218601822895==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1398893218601822895==--