Subject: [Healeys] Gauges and Morris

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:58:11 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============5093688766591677847==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0242_01D0A8F4.E2B39190"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0242_01D0A8F4.E2B39190
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Several friends and I have had gauges satisfactorily done by Morris and I
can see how his personality might occasionally be an issue, but definitely
not a con man. Recently the Austin Healey Association of Southern California
had a tech session at a member's house and Morris addressed around 20
interested guys for an hour on how he calibrates the speedometers and what
the factors are.

Now I had a different impression of his late ex-wife, who ran MoMa in
Albuquerque. Maybe the work Curt had done involved her.

Ira - have you made sure you grounded everything properly? Maybe you want to
make a bench-test rig where you move the sender arm and the gauge moves. I
troubleshot mine years ago by running a test wire from the sender over the
seats directly to the back of the gauge.

Con man?
Kees Oudesluijs

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6 - 29D w 4whl disc brakes

Check out my galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/

------=_NextPart_000_0242_01D0A8F4.E2B39190
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Several =
friends and I have had gauges satisfactorily done by Morris and I can =
see how his personality might occasionally be an issue, but definitely =
not a con man. Recently the Austin Healey Association of Southern =
California had a tech session at a member&#8217;s house and Morris =
addressed around 20 interested guys for an hour on how he calibrates the =
speedometers and what the factors are.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Now I had a =
different impression of his late ex-wife, who ran MoMa in Albuquerque. =
Maybe the work Curt had done involved her.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Ira &#8211; =
have you made sure you grounded everything properly? Maybe you want to =
make a bench-test rig where you move the sender arm and the gauge moves. =
I troubleshot mine years ago by running a test wire from the sender over =
the seats directly to the back of the gauge.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&gt;&gt;&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br>Con man?<br>Kees Oudesluijs<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>--<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Steve =
Gerow<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Altadena, CA, =
USA<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN6 &#8211; 29D w 4whl disc =
brakes<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Check out my =
galleries:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0242_01D0A8F4.E2B39190--

--===============5093688766591677847==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5093688766591677847==--

---

From: "Steve Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 13:58:43 -0700

--===============6175911969833787658==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0247_01D0A905.BB654050"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0247_01D0A905.BB654050
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

A simple test setup, not requiring the MGA guru resistors and switch:

Remove sender from tank.

Use the battery or get a 12 volt power supply

Wires:

'T' terminal on gauge to post on sender (be very careful of this post so as
not to break the fine wire inside the sender)

'B' terminal on gauge to +12v

Gauge mounting screw to -12v

Sender flange to -12v

Move the sender arm back and forth to see the gauge moves smoothly from
empty to full.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6 - 29D 3000 & 4 whl disc brakes

Check out my galleries:

------=_NextPart_000_0247_01D0A905.BB654050
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>A simple =
test setup, not requiring the MGA guru resistors and =
switch:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Remove sender from tank.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Use the battery or get a 12 volt power =
supply<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Wires:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&#8216;T&#8217; terminal on gauge to post on sender =
(be very careful of this post so as not to break the fine wire inside =
the sender)<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>&#8216;B&#8217; terminal =
on gauge to +12v<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Gauge mounting screw =
to -12v<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Sender flange to =
-12v<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Move the sender arm back and forth to see the gauge =
moves smoothly from empty to full.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>--<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Steve =
Gerow<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Altadena, CA, =
USA<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>BN6 - 29D 3000 &amp; 4 whl disc =
brakes<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Check out my =
galleries:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0247_01D0A905.BB654050--

--===============6175911969833787658==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6175911969833787658==--