Subject: Re: [Healeys] brake servo dismantling

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 08:43:25 +0800

--===============2265201877196852962==

--089e0158c17efc2b0b051b6c0e80

If you can get it out, have the bore sleeved and it will last forever.

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have been saving an old BJ8 servo to rebuild for many years. I have
> gotten the main bore seals out and it looks ok, but I cannot not get the
> control valve piston plug out of the body to get access to the control
> valve seals. The instructions say use some stiff wire to push it out, but
> it isn't budging. Should I just assume this is an indicator of sufficient
> corrosion to scrap the whole unit?
> Ken Freese
> 65 BJ8
>

--089e0158c17efc2b0b051b6c0e80
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If you can get it out, have the bore sleeved and it will last forever.<br><=
br>On Tuesday, July 21, 2015,  &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">gold=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"m=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div>I h=
ave been saving an old BJ8 servo to rebuild for many years. I have gotten t=
he main bore seals out and it looks ok, but I cannot not get the control va=
lve piston plug out of the body to get access to the control valve seals. T=
he instructions say use some stiff wire to push it out, but it isn&#39;t bu=
dging. Should I just assume this is an indicator of sufficient corrosion to=
 scrap the whole unit?</div><div>Ken Freese</div><div>65 BJ8</div></div></b=
lockquote>

--089e0158c17efc2b0b051b6c0e80--

--===============2265201877196852962==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============2265201877196852962==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:35:53 -0700 (PDT)

--===============6162535736711910081==
	boundary="----=_Part_286838_1902041563.1438097753364"

------=_Part_286838_1902041563.1438097753364
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole in the plug, made a little puller and got the plug out. I did not have a flat bottom tap, but .200 deep on the hole drill point gave enough threads.Ken Freese
----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked]
To: healeylist <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:26:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Healeys] brake servo dismantling

 body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}I have been saving an old BJ8 servo to rebuild for many years. I have gotten the main bore seals out and it looks ok, but I cannot not get the control valve piston plug out of the body to get access to the control valve seals. The instructions say use some stiff wire to push it out, but it isn't budging. Should I just assume this is an indicator of sufficient corrosion to scrap the whole unit?Ken Freese65 BJ8

------=_Part_286838_1902041563.1438097753364
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style> body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font=
-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}</style></head><body><div>I drilled a=
nd tapped a 10-32 hole in the plug, made a little puller and got the plug o=
ut. I did not have a flat bottom tap, but .200 deep on the hole drill point=
 gave enough threads.</div><div>Ken Freese</div><div><br></div><div>----- O=
riginal Message -----<br>From: [email-masked]<br>To: healeylist &lt;heale=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Sent: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:26:12 -0700 (PDT)<br>Sub=
ject: [Healeys] brake servo dismantling<br></div><div><br></div><style> bod=
y {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font-family:arial, helvetic=
a, sans-serif;}</style><div>I have been saving an old BJ8 servo to rebuild =
for many years. I have gotten the main bore seals out and it looks ok, but =
I cannot not get the control valve piston plug out of the body to get acces=
s to the control valve seals. The instructions say use some stiff wire to p=
ush it out, but it isn't budging. Should I just assume this is an indicator=
 of sufficient corrosion to scrap the whole unit?</div><div>Ken Freese</div=
><div>65 BJ8</div><div><br></div></body></html>
------=_Part_286838_1902041563.1438097753364--

--===============6162535736711910081==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6162535736711910081==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

--===============3171391338015253584==
	boundary="----=_Part_372935_1952773514.1438220674745"

------=_Part_372935_1952773514.1438220674745
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I think there is too much corrosion to warrant trying to use the bores as is. I don't think that a servo is so precious that I should save it by sleeving, so it is available for parts.Ken Freese65 BJ8
----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: healeylist <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:35:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: brake servo dismantling complete

 body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}I drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole in the plug, made a little puller and got the plug out. I did not have a flat bottom tap, but .200 deep on the hole drill point gave enough threads.Ken Freese
----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked]
To: healeylist <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:26:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Healeys] brake servo dismantling

I have been saving an old BJ8 servo to rebuild for many years. I have gotten the main bore seals out and it looks ok, but I cannot not get the control valve piston plug out of the body to get access to the control valve seals. The instructions say use some stiff wire to push it out, but it isn't budging. Should I just assume this is an indicator of sufficient corrosion to scrap the whole unit?Ken Freese65 BJ8

------=_Part_372935_1952773514.1438220674745
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style> body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font=
-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}</style></head><body><div>I think the=
re is too much corrosion to warrant trying to use the bores as is. I don't =
think that a servo is so precious that I should save it by sleeving, so it =
is available for parts.</div><div>Ken Freese</div><div>65 BJ8</div><div><br=
></div><div>----- Original Message -----<br>From: [email-masked]<br>To: g=
[email-masked]<br>Cc: healeylist &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Sent: T=
ue, 28 Jul 2015 08:35:53 -0700 (PDT)<br>Subject: brake servo dismantling co=
mplete<br></div><div><br></div><style> body {height: 100%; color:#000000; f=
ont-size:12pt; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}</style><div>I dri=
lled and tapped a 10-32 hole in the plug, made a little puller and got the =
plug out. I did not have a flat bottom tap, but .200 deep on the hole drill=
 point gave enough threads.</div><div>Ken Freese</div><div><br></div><div>-=
---- Original Message -----<br>From: [email-masked]<br>To: healeylist &lt=
;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Sent: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:26:12 -0700 (PDT)<=
br>Subject: [Healeys] brake servo dismantling<br></div><div><br></div><div>=
I have been saving an old BJ8 servo to rebuild for many years. I have gotte=
n the main bore seals out and it looks ok, but I cannot not get the control=
 valve piston plug out of the body to get access to the control valve seals=
. The instructions say use some stiff wire to push it out, but it isn't bud=
ging. Should I just assume this is an indicator of sufficient corrosion to =
scrap the whole unit?</div><div>Ken Freese</div><div>65 BJ8</div><div><br><=
/div><div><br></div></body></html>
------=_Part_372935_1952773514.1438220674745--

--===============3171391338015253584==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3171391338015253584==--