Subject: [Healeys] Brake Servo

From: "R. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:17:59 -0700

Ken,

Coincidentally, we met last weekend at the Bay Model meeting and this 
week I also had to tackle a recalcitrant control valve piston plug.  It 
was a challenge, but I was eventually able to shift the plug adequately 
to get a putty knife under the edge and free it.

The technique that I found required the use of a couple probes with the 
short bent portion of differing lengths and angles.  I found that large 
common nails (of the specified 1/8" dia.) were appropriate to the task.  
I used them in the manner of a pile driver or slide hammer, gradually 
advancing the piston/plug over time (several minutes).  Simple levering, 
as the rebuild kit instructions suggest, produced inadequate results.

After successful disassembly, I found no corrosion present.

Good luck.

Bob

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:26:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:[email-masked]
To: healeylist<[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] brake servo dismantling
Message-ID:<[email-masked]>

I have been saving an old BJ8 servo to rebuild for many years. I have gotten the main bore seals out and it looks ok, but I cannot not get the control valve piston plug out of the body to get access to the control valve seals. The instructions say use some stiff wire to push it out, but it isn't budging. Should I just assume this is an indicator of sufficient corrosion to scrap the whole unit?Ken Freese65 BJ8

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys