Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 center console radio cutout

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 19:10:34 +0800

--===============8200641995935669135==

--001a11c269b09a9cd105209065a1

David -

The original cutouts were done to fit whatever radio your dealer would
install, typically a Motorola or a BMC unit.

So you need to have the original radio in hand, and then cutout to
accommodate that radio.

Alan

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am restoring my BJ8 center console. The radio location was cutout to
> accommodate a modern DIN style radio. I plan to fabricate and weld in a
> sheet metal repair plate to restore the metal to original. But I don't know
> the dimensions and locations of the openings and other holes. Would anyone
> happen to have made any kind of template or sketch of an original? Or maybe
> even a photo of a console frame without the vinyl.
>
> Thanks much!
> Dave
>
> 64 BJ8
> 72 XJ6
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--001a11c269b09a9cd105209065a1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">David -<div><br></div><div>The original cutouts were done =
to fit whatever radio your dealer would install, typically a Motorola or a =
BMC unit.</div><div><br></div><div>So you need to have the original radio i=
n hand, and then cutout to accommodate that radio.</div><div><br></div><div=
>Alan<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extr=
a"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM,  <span d=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">d=
[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex=
"><div><div style=3D"font-family:Arial;font-size:12pt;color:#000000"><div>H=
i All,<br></div><div><br></div><div>I am restoring my BJ8 center console. T=
he radio location was cutout to accommodate a modern DIN style radio. I pla=
n to fabricate and weld in a sheet metal repair plate to restore the metal =
to original. But I don&#39;t know the dimensions and locations of the openi=
ngs and other holes. Would anyone happen to have made any kind of template =
or sketch of an original? Or maybe even a photo of a console frame without =
the vinyl. <br></div><div><br></div><div>Thanks much!<br></div><div>Dave<br=
></div><div><br></div><div>64 BJ8<br></div><div>72 XJ6<br></div><div><br></=
div><div><br></div></div></div><br>________________________________________=
_______<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a11c269b09a9cd105209065a1--

--===============8200641995935669135==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8200641995935669135==--

---

From: Oudesluys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 13:35:07 +0200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1508036832010339679==
 boundary="------------070207040506070607080703"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070207040506070607080703
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

If you plan to fit a period radio there is no need to weld in a plate. 
You can use an adapter to slide in the DIN aperture from the front, much 
easier that to fit a radio from behind the dashboard. The edges will be 
covered by the front plate of the radio or an extra cover to go with the 
adapter if the front plate is to small.
As I collect and sell period radio's, I have plenty of those adaptors 
lying about which you can have for postage costs only.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 25-9-2015 om 12:52 schreef [email-masked]:
> accommodate a modern DIN style radio. I plan to fabricate and weld in 
> a sheet metal repair plate to restore the metal to original. But I 
> don't know the dimensions and locations of the openings and other 
> holes. Would anyone happen to have made any kind of template or sketch 
> of an original? Or maybe even a photo of a console frame without the 
> vinyl.
>
> Thanks much!
> Dave
>
> 64 BJ8
> 72 XJ6
>
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6140 / Virusdatabase: 4419/10696 - datum van uitgifte: 
> 09/25/15
>

--------------070207040506070607080703
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">If you plan to fit a period radio there
      is no need to weld in a plate. You can use an adapter to slide in
      the DIN aperture from the front, much easier that to fit a radio
      from behind the dashboard. The edges will be covered by the front
      plate of the radio or an extra cover to go with the adapter if the
      front plate is to small. <br>
      As I collect and sell period radio's, I have plenty of those
      adaptors lying about which you can have for postage costs only.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      <br>
      Op 25-9-2015 om 12:52 schreef <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div>
        <div>Hi All,<br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>I am restoring my BJ8 center console. The radio location
          was cutout to accommodate a modern DIN style radio. I plan to
          fabricate and weld in a sheet metal repair plate to restore
          the metal to original. But I don't know the dimensions and
          locations of the openings and other holes. Would anyone happen
          to have made any kind of template or sketch of an original? Or
          maybe even a photo of a console frame without the vinyl. <br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Thanks much!<br>
        </div>
        <div>Dave<br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>64 BJ8<br>
        </div>
        <div>72 XJ6<br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <meta http-equiv="Context-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <p class="">Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.<br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6140 / Virusdatabase: 4419/10696 - datum van
        uitgifte: 09/25/15</p>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------070207040506070607080703--

--===============1508036832010339679==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1508036832010339679==--

---

From: Charlie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 18:58:25 +0000 (UTC)

--===============8779358033318730811==
	boundary="----=_Part_1048264_1591842718.1443207505828"

------=_Part_1048264_1591842718.1443207505828
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Or maybe someone you know has any old car of the period that you can measure the cutout on that. Maybe it should be a British or European car, but generally the cutouts would be sized for the radios available back then. 

Or go to an automotive flea market, like Fall Hershey or Carlisle in a couple of weeks and measure old radios or cutouts in the cars in the flea market spaces. 

Actually, your XJ6 probably has the right size cutout. It is probably old enough. Or go to a junk yard and buy a dashboard from an old car or the part of one with the radio cutout, then just weld it into your Healey. 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Alan Seigrist" <[email-masked]> 
To: "David Masucci" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "Healey list" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 7:10:34 AM 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 center console radio cutout 

David - 

The original cutouts were done to fit whatever radio your dealer would install, typically a Motorola or a BMC unit. 

So you need to have the original radio in hand, and then cutout to accommodate that radio. 

Alan 

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM, < [email-masked] > wrote: 

Hi All, 

I am restoring my BJ8 center console. The radio location was cutout to accommodate a modern DIN style radio. I plan to fabricate and weld in a sheet metal repair plate to restore the metal to original. But I don't know the dimensions and locations of the openings and other holes. Would anyone happen to have made any kind of template or sketch of an original? Or maybe even a photo of a console frame without the vinyl. 

Thanks much! 
Dave 

64 BJ8 
72 XJ6 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked] 

------=_Part_1048264_1591842718.1443207505828
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div>Or maybe someone you know has any old car of the period that you c=
an measure the cutout on that.&nbsp; Maybe it should be a British or Europe=
an car, but generally the cutouts would be sized for the radios available b=
ack then.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Or go to an automotive flea market, =
like Fall Hershey or Carlisle in a couple of weeks and measure old radios o=
r cutouts in the cars in the flea market spaces.<br></div><div><br></div><d=
iv>Actually, your XJ6 probably has the right size cutout.&nbsp; It is proba=
bly old enough.&nbsp; Or go to a junk yard and buy a dashboard from an old =
car or the part of one with the radio cutout, then just weld it into your H=
ealey.<br></div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;fo=
nt-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helveti=
ca,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><b>From: </b>"Alan Seigrist" &lt;heale=
[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"David Masucci" &lt;[email-masked]=
&gt;<br><b>Cc: </b>"Healey list" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Sent:=
 </b>Friday, September 25, 2015 7:10:34 AM<br><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys]=
 BJ8 center console radio cutout<br><div><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">David -=
<div><br></div><div>The original cutouts were done to fit whatever radio yo=
ur dealer would install, typically a Motorola or a BMC unit.</div><div><br>=
</div><div>So you need to have the original radio in hand, and then cutout =
to accommodate that radio.</div><div><br></div><div>Alan<br><div><br></div>=
<div><br></div></div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gma=
il_quote">On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0=
 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"f=
ont-family:Arial;font-size:12pt;color:#000000"><div>Hi All,<br></div><div><=
br></div><div>I am restoring my BJ8 center console. The radio location was =
cutout to accommodate a modern DIN style radio. I plan to fabricate and wel=
d in a sheet metal repair plate to restore the metal to original. But I don=
't know the dimensions and locations of the openings and other holes. Would=
 anyone happen to have made any kind of template or sketch of an original? =
Or maybe even a photo of a console frame without the vinyl. <br></div><div>=
<br></div><div>Thanks much!<br></div><div>Dave<br></div><div><br></div><div=
>64 BJ8<br></div><div>72 XJ6<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div><=
/div><br>_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>
<br>_______________________________________________<br>Support Team.Net htt=
p://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br>A=
rchive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<b=
r><div><br></div>[email-masked]<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/li=
stinfo/healeys<br><div><br></div>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/=
mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<br><div><br></div></div><div>=
<br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_1048264_1591842718.1443207505828--

--===============8779358033318730811==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8779358033318730811==--