Subject: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

From: "Bruce Steele" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 16:08:52 -0800

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7661836141950117599==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0072_01D14641.0A8A9D50"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01D14641.0A8A9D50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Seeking ideas on how to keep the rear shock mount bolts tight.  They work
loose every 1,500 to 2,000 miles, and tightening them is routine with my
annual maintenance.  I currently have grade 8 bolts, nuts and split washers.
Grade 5 bolts, nuts, and split washers were no worse (or better) than the
grade 8.  Tried Nord-Lock washers 2 years ago after someone posted about
them on this list.  They loosened more quickly than split washers.  Tried
thread locker and nylocks as well, neither of which were better than split
washers.  

Anyone have a method that actually keeps the hardware tight?

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01D14641.0A8A9D50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
	panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif'>Seeking ideas on how to keep the rear shock mount bolts =
tight.&nbsp; They work loose every 1,500 to 2,000 miles, and tightening =
them is routine with my annual maintenance.&nbsp; I currently have grade =
8 bolts, nuts and split washers.&nbsp; Grade 5 bolts, nuts, and split =
washers were no worse (or better) than the grade 8.&nbsp; Tried =
Nord-Lock washers 2 years ago after someone posted about them on this =
list.&nbsp; They loosened more quickly than split washers.&nbsp; Tried =
thread locker and nylocks as well, neither of which were better than =
split washers.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS",sans-serif'>Anyone =
have a method that actually keeps the hardware =
tight?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'>Bruce Steele<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'>Brea, CA<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet =
MS",sans-serif;color:#1F497D'>1960 BN7<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0072_01D14641.0A8A9D50--

--===============7661836141950117599==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7661836141950117599==--

---

From: "Ian Hey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 09:11:51 -0000 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0003_01D14862.47C91390"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D14862.47C91390
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0004_01D14862.47C91390"

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01D14862.47C91390
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Something like the attached.

Worked on my mate's car.  Mine still being rebuilt, so not personal
experience yet

Ian Hey

  _____  

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alan
Seigrist
Sent: 06 January 2016 08:00
To: 100healey
Cc: Healey list
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

 

Larry - wow, best solution I heard yet.  Especially if this plate rest flush
against the bottoms of side of the mount plate.  You could then lock the
bolts with a nut against the threaded plate after it is tightened.  Elegant.

I was half thinking to make a tab washer connected to both bolts, and
security wire  the bolts together, but I think your solution makes much more
sense.

- Alan

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Larry Varley <[email-masked]> wrote:

While my comment didn't mention Mike Salter's contribution to the
discussion, and have seen the quality of Mike's work over many years, I have
no doubts about his problem solving ability. Where this situation gets
worse, as has been mentioned, is when the holes in the mount plate get worn
oval. It occurred to me that some enterprising person could devise a 3/8
thick plate with 2 tapped holes that would sit on the inside the the
mounting plate and replace the nuts. It could locate in its soundings and be
an easy retrofit to existing cars, without any welding involved, or could be
welded in during a restoration. Just a thought for what it may or may not be
worth.
Cheers
Larry Varley.

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01D14862.47C91390
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium)">
<!--[if !mso]>
<style>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style>
<![endif]-->
<style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
@page Section1
	{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;
	margin:70.9pt 70.9pt 70.9pt 70.9pt;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body lang=3DEN-GB link=3Dblue vlink=3Dblue>

<div class=3DSection1>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Something like the =
attached.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Worked on my mate&#8217;s =
car.&nbsp; Mine still being
rebuilt, so not personal experience yet<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Ian =
Hey<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<div class=3DMsoNormal align=3Dcenter style=3D'text-align:center'><font =
size=3D3
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span lang=3DEN-US style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>

<hr size=3D2 width=3D"100%" align=3Dcenter tabindex=3D-1>

</span></font></div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><b><font size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span lang=3DEN-US
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;font-weight:bold'>From:</spa=
n></font></b><font
size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>
Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] <b><span =
style=3D'font-weight:
bold'>On Behalf Of </span></b>Alan Seigrist<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> 06 January 2016 =
08:00<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>To:</span></b> 100healey<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Cc:</span></b> Healey list<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> Re: [Healeys] =
Keeping
rear shock bolts tight</span></font><span =
lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>Larry - wow, best solution I heard yet.&nbsp; Especially if this =
plate
rest flush against the bottoms of side of the mount plate.&nbsp; You =
could then
lock the bolts with a nut against the threaded plate after it is
tightened.&nbsp; Elegant.&nbsp;<br>
<br>
I was half thinking to make a tab washer connected to both bolts, and =
security
wire &nbsp;the bolts together, but I think your solution makes much more =
sense.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>- Alan<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Larry Varley &lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
wrote:<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>While my comment didn't mention Mike Salter's contribution to =
the
discussion, and have seen the quality of Mike's work over many years, I =
have no
doubts about his problem solving ability. Where this situation gets =
worse, as
has been mentioned, is when the holes in the mount plate get worn oval. =
It
occurred to me that some enterprising person could devise a 3/8 thick =
plate
with 2 tapped holes that would sit on the inside the the mounting plate =
and
replace the nuts. It could locate in its soundings and be an easy =
retrofit to
existing cars, without any welding involved, or could be welded in =
during a
restoration. Just a thought for what it may or may not be worth.<br>
Cheers<br>
Larry Varley.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01D14862.47C91390--

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D14862.47C91390
	name="ATT00016.txt"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="ATT00016.txt"

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D14862.47C91390
	name="Rear shocker tapped plate.pdf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Rear shocker tapped plate.pdf"

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D14862.47C91390
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D14862.47C91390--

---

From: Larry Varley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 20:43:03 +1100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5986880870443230462==
 boundary="------------010300070706000205000000"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------010300070706000205000000
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Lol, looks like my work here is done, I'll get back to lurking and 
getting my Nash Healey braking system completed, cheers
Larry Varley

On 6/01/2016 8:11 PM, Ian Hey wrote:
> Worked on my mate’s car.  Mine still being rebuilt, so not personal 
> experience yet
>
> Ian Hey
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

--------------010300070706000205000000
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Lol, looks like my work here is done, I'll get back to lurking and
    getting my Nash Healey braking system completed, cheers<br>
    Larry Varley<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 6/01/2016 8:11 PM, Ian Hey wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:FB8486FF116348889C484343F87DBAF7@Spider"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11 (filtered
        medium)">
      <!--[if !mso]>
<style>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style>
<![endif]-->
      <style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
@page Section1
	{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;
	margin:70.9pt 70.9pt 70.9pt 70.9pt;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>
      <div class="Section1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><font color="navy" size="2" face="Arial"><span
              style="font-size:
              10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy">Something like the
              attached.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><font color="navy" size="2" face="Arial"><span
              style="font-size:
              10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy"><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><font color="navy" size="2" face="Arial"><span
              style="font-size:
              10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy">Worked on my mate’s
              car.  Mine still being
              rebuilt, so not personal experience yet<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><font color="navy" size="2" face="Arial"><span
              style="font-size:
              10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy"><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><font color="navy" size="2" face="Arial"><span
              style="font-size:
              10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy">Ian Hey<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><font color="navy" size="2" face="Arial"><span
              style="font-size:
              10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy"><o:p> </o:p></span></font></p>
        <div class="MsoNormal" style="text-align:center" align="center"><font
            size="3" face="Times New Roman"><span
              style="font-size:12.0pt" lang="EN-US">
              <hr tabindex="-1" align="center" size="2" width="100%"></span></font><br>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------010300070706000205000000--

--===============5986880870443230462==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5986880870443230462==--