Subject: Re: [Healeys] Polish aluminum cowl trim on '59 BN4

From: "John Spaur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 21:58:14 -0800

You need to remove the anodizing. I have never had any luck using the oven
cleaner method. Take them to a local anodizing shop. It cost me $65 to have
the anodizing removed and then to have them anodized polishing. Once the
anodizing is removed you can buff them to a mirror finish and have them
redone in clear.

John Spaur
'62 BT7

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Charlie Schott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 08:53:53 -0600

Chris,

I did mine that way but I started with 320 grit in order to get the 
scratches out. I finished with 2000 grit, all by hand and wet sanding. I 
then finished it with an aluminum polish. I also tried clear coating but it 
just peeled off.

Regards,

Charlie Schott

-----Original Message----- 
From: Chris Scholz
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:43 PM
To: Austin Healey
Subject: [Healeys] Polish aluminum cowl trim on '59 BN4

Has anyone refinished/polished the aluminum cowl trim?  Mine is in fairly 
good shape but has some age related fine scratches that won't buff out with 
liquid polish.

I have heard some say to start with different grits and wet sand-- 400, then 
600, then 800, then 1000,  1200, then liquid polish.

I am worried about starting too coarse and making it worse. Also can I get 
by with doing this wet sanding by hand?  I don't have a power sander, and 
would like to do this by hand.  Any wisdom is appreciated.

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]