Subject: [Healeys] I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack ...

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 15:11:38 -0700

This is sort of the ubiquitous 'test' messages; I got bumped off this 
list for some reason--I'm not THAT ednoxious--and I just now started to 
receive recent messages so I hope to stay.

And now, a question: What's the List take on aluminium sumps? They sound 
like a good, easily-reversible mod and my steel pan has taken it's lumps 
(dents, actually).  Any cooling effect would be an added, though 
probably subjective, bonus.  But, I'm concerned that, were I to 
high-center the pan somehow or hit a rock, the pan could fracture where 
a steel pan might just get another dent. Anyone have this happen to 
them?  DW sells a 'low-profile' pan that might all but eliminate that 
risk, but might also reduce capacity.

Anyone got an Al pan?  What's your take?

TIA,

Bob

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Laurie Wilford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 22:43:51 -0400

--===============3072824390085529913==
	boundary="_3c108499-e75e-4b02-877d-5a7038c56aad_"

--_3c108499-e75e-4b02-877d-5a7038c56aad_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=E2=80=8EI put an aluminum sump on my BJ8 prior to driving to Alaska last y=
ear. The steel sump was pretty banged up and I found the aluminum sump purc=
hased from Autofarm did not protrude below the frame rails as far as the st=
eel one.
When I changed the oil after the Alaska trip I was surprised to see the wea=
r on the cooling fins=E2=80=8E. We put on a few hundred miles of gravel roa=
ds=2C but I was amazed that some of the back fins were almost worn off. The=
 good news was that the aluminium sump did not crack nor leak even with thi=
s abuse.

Laurie Wilford

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Fido network.
From: BJ8Healeys
Sent: Monday=2C July 11=2C 2016 9:38 PM
To: 'Healeys'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack ...

Bob=2C I don't have an aluminum sump for my Healey=2C but I do have one on =
my
Miata.  I once ran over what I thought was a crumpled-up paper bag until I
hit it and it lifted the car off its front wheels.  Turned out to be a truc=
k
water pump.  Not only did it destroy the steering rack=2C but it put a
good-sized dent/gouge in the aluminum pan and also a crack=2C as I discover=
ed
later.  On the Miata=2C the aluminum pan is basically the bottom of the
engine.  The whole thing had to be replaced.  Seems that aluminum is not as
forgiving to road obstructions as the steel is=2C and I don't intend to put
one on my BJ8.
As for the dents in the steel pan=2C I was able to straighten most of those
out pretty well.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA Delegate at Large
Havelock=2C NC

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob
Spidell
Sent: Saturday=2C July 09=2C 2016 6:12 PM
To: Healeys
Subject: [Healeys] I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack ...

This is sort of the ubiquitous 'test' messages=3B I got bumped off this lis=
t
for some reason--I'm not THAT ednoxious--and I just now started to receive
recent messages so I hope to stay.

And now=2C a question: What's the List take on aluminium sumps? They sound
like a good=2C easily-reversible mod and my steel pan has taken it's lumps
(dents=2C actually).  Any cooling effect would be an added=2C though probab=
ly
subjective=2C bonus.  But=2C I'm concerned that=2C were I to high-center th=
e pan
somehow or hit a rock=2C the pan could fracture where a steel pan might jus=
t
get another dent. Anyone have this happen to them?  DW sells a 'low-profile=
'
pan that might all but eliminate that risk=2C but might also reduce capacit=
y.

TIA=2C

Bob

[email-masked]

@hotmail.com

--_3c108499-e75e-4b02-877d-5a7038c56aad_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html=3B charset=3Dutf-8">
</head>
<body lang=3D"en-US" style=3D"background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B l=
ine-height: initial=3B">
<div style=3D"width: 100%=3B font-size: initial=3B font-family: Calibri=2C =
'Slate Pro'=2C sans-serif=2C sans-serif=3B color: rgb(31=2C 73=2C 125)=3B t=
ext-align: initial=3B background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
=E2=80=8EI put an aluminum sump on my BJ8 prior to driving to Alaska last y=
ear. The steel sump was pretty banged up and I found the aluminum sump purc=
hased from Autofarm did not protrude below the frame rails as far as the st=
eel one.&nbsp=3B</div>
<div style=3D"width: 100%=3B font-size: initial=3B font-family: Calibri=2C =
'Slate Pro'=2C sans-serif=2C sans-serif=3B color: rgb(31=2C 73=2C 125)=3B t=
ext-align: initial=3B background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
When I changed the oil after the Alaska trip I was surprised to see the wea=
r on the cooling fins=E2=80=8E. We put on a few hundred miles of gravel roa=
ds=2C but I was amazed that some of the back fins were almost worn off. The=
 good news was that the aluminium sump did
 not crack nor leak even with this abuse.</div>
<div style=3D"width: 100%=3B font-size: initial=3B font-family: Calibri=2C =
'Slate Pro'=2C sans-serif=2C sans-serif=3B color: rgb(31=2C 73=2C 125)=3B t=
ext-align: initial=3B background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"width: 100%=3B font-size: initial=3B font-family: Calibri=2C =
'Slate Pro'=2C sans-serif=2C sans-serif=3B color: rgb(31=2C 73=2C 125)=3B t=
ext-align: initial=3B background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
Laurie Wilford </div>
<div style=3D"width: 100%=3B font-size: initial=3B font-family: Calibri=2C =
'Slate Pro'=2C sans-serif=2C sans-serif=3B color: rgb(31=2C 73=2C 125)=3B t=
ext-align: initial=3B background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
<br style=3D"display:initial">
</div>
<div style=3D"font-size: initial=3B font-family: Calibri=2C 'Slate Pro'=2C =
sans-serif=2C sans-serif=3B color: rgb(31=2C 73=2C 125)=3B text-align: init=
ial=3B background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
Sent&nbsp=3Bfrom&nbsp=3Bmy&nbsp=3BBlackBerry&nbsp=3B10&nbsp=3Bsmartphone&nb=
sp=3Bon&nbsp=3Bthe&nbsp=3BFido&nbsp=3Bnetwork.</div>
<table width=3D"100%" style=3D"background-color:white=3Bborder-spacing:0px=
=3B">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td colspan=3D"2" style=3D"font-size: initial=3B text-align: initial=3B bac=
kground-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
<div style=3D"border-style: solid none none=3B border-top-color: rgb(181=2C=
 196=2C 223)=3B border-top-width: 1pt=3B padding: 3pt 0in 0in=3B font-famil=
y: Tahoma=2C 'BB Alpha Sans'=2C 'Slate Pro'=3B font-size: 10pt=3B">
<div><b>From: </b>BJ8Healeys</div>
<div><b>Sent: </b>Monday=2C July 11=2C 2016 9:38 PM</div>
<div><b>To: </b>'Healeys'</div>
<div><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys] I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack ...</div>
</div>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
<div style=3D"border-style: solid none none=3B border-top-color: rgb(186=2C=
 188=2C 209)=3B border-top-width: 1pt=3B font-size: initial=3B text-align: =
initial=3B background-color: rgb(255=2C 255=2C 255)=3B">
</div>
<br>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment">
<div class=3D"PlainText">Bob=2C I don't have an aluminum sump for my Healey=
=2C but I do have one on my<br>
Miata.&nbsp=3B I once ran over what I thought was a crumpled-up paper bag u=
ntil I<br>
hit it and it lifted the car off its front wheels.&nbsp=3B Turned out to be=
 a truck<br>
water pump.&nbsp=3B Not only did it destroy the steering rack=2C but it put=
 a<br>
good-sized dent/gouge in the aluminum pan and also a crack=2C as I discover=
ed<br>
later.&nbsp=3B On the Miata=2C the aluminum pan is basically the bottom of =
the<br>
engine.&nbsp=3B The whole thing had to be replaced.&nbsp=3B Seems that alum=
inum is not as<br>
forgiving to road obstructions as the steel is=2C and I don't intend to put=
<br>
one on my BJ8.<br>
As for the dents in the steel pan=2C I was able to straighten most of those=
<br>
out pretty well.<br>
<br>
Steve Byers<br>
HBJ8L/36666<br>
BJ8 Registry<br>
AHCA Delegate at Large<br>
Havelock=2C NC&nbsp=3B <br>
<br>
<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Healeys [<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:hea=
[email-masked]</a>] On Behalf Of Bob<br>
Spidell<br>
Sent: Saturday=2C July 09=2C 2016 6:12 PM<br>
To: Healeys<br>
Subject: [Healeys] I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack ...<br>
<br>
This is sort of the ubiquitous 'test' messages=3B I got bumped off this lis=
t<br>
for some reason--I'm not THAT ednoxious--and I just now started to receive<=
br>
recent messages so I hope to stay.<br>
<br>
And now=2C a question: What's the List take on aluminium sumps? They sound<=
br>
like a good=2C easily-reversible mod and my steel pan has taken it's lumps<=
br>
(dents=2C actually).&nbsp=3B Any cooling effect would be an added=2C though=
 probably<br>
subjective=2C bonus.&nbsp=3B But=2C I'm concerned that=2C were I to high-ce=
nter the pan<br>
somehow or hit a rock=2C the pan could fracture where a steel pan might jus=
t<br>
get another dent. Anyone have this happen to them?&nbsp=3B DW sells a 'low-=
profile'<br>
pan that might all but eliminate that risk=2C but might also reduce capacit=
y.<br>
<br>
Anyone got an Al pan?&nbsp=3B What's your take?<br>
<br>
TIA=2C<br>
<br>
Bob<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
m.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archiv=
e</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</=
a><br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.tea=
m.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_3c108499-e75e-4b02-877d-5a7038c56aad_--

--===============3072824390085529913==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3072824390085529913==--