Subject: [Healeys] Lemans conversion

From: Robert Memler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 16:27:46 -0400

--===============7683073590687026888==

--001a113d5fbe6a31340537c69181

I have a 54 BN1  and am considering a conversion to a Lemans car. My car
has 70,000 miles and as far as I know the engine has never been out of the
car. I already have the Lemans carburetors and cold air box. I am
considering  the cam shaft and flat top pistons conversion. I would
appreciate all comments pro and con about what would and should happen.
TIA, Bob Memler

--001a113d5fbe6a31340537c69181
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<p dir=3D"ltr">I have a 54 BN1=C2=A0 and am considering a conversion to a L=
emans car. My car has 70,000 miles and as far as I know the engine has neve=
r been out of the car. I already have the Lemans carburetors and cold air b=
ox. I am considering=C2=A0 the cam shaft and flat top pistons conversion. I=
 would appreciate all comments pro and con about what would and should happ=
en.<br>
TIA, Bob Memler </p>

--001a113d5fbe6a31340537c69181--

--===============7683073590687026888==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7683073590687026888==--

---

From: Austin Healey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 14:12:56 +0200

--===============4818073558545284573==

--001a114fadec9bb0e50537d3c5b4

With an engine with this sort of mileage one would expect some wear on the
bores With new pistons and rings in the old bores, it is always a bit
risky, as the new rings might nor bed in to seal. Safe solution would be to
overbore the engine and use oversize pistons.
If I were You, considering that the engine is not burning oil, I would
leave the pistons untouched, and only change the camshaft, the carbs and
fit the cold air box.

Gergo

2016-07-16 22:27 GMT+02:00 Robert Memler <[email-masked]>:

> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--001a114fadec9bb0e50537d3c5b4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">With an engine with this sort of mileage one would expect =
some wear on the bores With new pistons and rings in the old bores, it is a=
lways a bit risky, as the new rings might nor bed in to seal. Safe solution=
 would be to overbore the engine and use oversize pistons.<div>If I were Yo=
u, considering that the engine is not burning oil, I would leave the piston=
s untouched, and only change the camshaft, the carbs and fit the cold air b=
ox.</div><div><br></div><div>Gergo</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><b=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">2016-07-16 22:27 GMT+02:00 Robert Memler <span=
 dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">rme=
[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span>:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><p dir=
=3D"ltr">I have a 54 BN1=C2=A0 and am considering a conversion to a Lemans =
car. My car has 70,000 miles and as far as I know the engine has never been=
 out of the car. I already have the Lemans carburetors and cold air box. I =
am considering=C2=A0 the cam shaft and flat top pistons conversion. I would=
 appreciate all comments pro and con about what would and should happen.<br=
TIA, Bob Memler </p>
<br>_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a114fadec9bb0e50537d3c5b4--

--===============4818073558545284573==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4818073558545284573==--

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 14:32:33 -0400

--===============4336704105019998378==

--001a11400ee640886c0537d913e6

Hi Robert,
Although converting your car to a "Lemans" will undoubtedly increase its
value IMHO original unmodified 100 are getting very hard to find which is a
bit sad.
Whatever your decision I would implore you to take and share many photos of
the original installation as details of such are becoming very hard to
find.

Michael S

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Robert Memler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--001a11400ee640886c0537d913e6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sa=
ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Robert,<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_d=
efault" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Alth=
ough converting your car to a &quot;Lemans&quot; will undoubtedly increase =
its value IMHO original unmodified 100 are getting very hard to find which =
is a bit sad.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:co=
mic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Whatever your decision I would impl=
ore you to take and share many photos of the original installation as detai=
ls of such are becoming very hard to find. <br><br></div><div class=3D"gmai=
l_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">M=
ichael S<br></div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_=
quote">On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Robert Memler <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0=
 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><p dir=3D"ltr">I hav=
e a 54 BN1=C2=A0 and am considering a conversion to a Lemans car. My car ha=
s 70,000 miles and as far as I know the engine has never been out of the ca=
r. I already have the Lemans carburetors and cold air box. I am considering=
=C2=A0 the cam shaft and flat top pistons conversion. I would appreciate al=
l comments pro and con about what would and should happen.<br>
TIA, Bob Memler </p>
<br>_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br><br clear=3D"all"><br>-- <br><div class=3D"gmail=
_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div d=
ir=3D"ltr"><i><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"color:black">If you can&#39;t=
 fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an electrical problem.</span></font><=
/i><br><br><div></div><div></div><div></div></div></div></div></div>
</div>

--001a11400ee640886c0537d913e6--

--===============4336704105019998378==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4336704105019998378==--

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 07:14:57 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4962701403632038732==
 boundary="------------27EAC6B85BDF241A9EF6EC6A"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------27EAC6B85BDF241A9EF6EC6A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

all,

  Replace all reciprocating parts with Denis Welch parts and the head 
too. Expensive? Yes. BUT, you will never want to get out of the car... 
Amazing transformation and it still looks dead stock..

DaveP

On 7/17/2016 12:32 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> Although converting your car to a "Lemans" will undoubtedly increase 
> its value IMHO original unmodified 100 are getting very hard to find 
> which is a bit sad.
> Whatever your decision I would implore you to take and share many 
> photos of the original installation as details of such are becoming 
> very hard to find.
>
> Michael S
>
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Robert Memler <[email-masked] 
>
>     I have a 54 BN1  and am considering a conversion to a Lemans car.
>     My car has 70,000 miles and as far as I know the engine has never
>     been out of the car. I already have the Lemans carburetors and
>     cold air box. I am considering  the cam shaft and flat top pistons
>     conversion. I would appreciate all comments pro and con about what
>     would and should happen.
>     TIA, Bob Memler
>
>
> /If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem./
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------27EAC6B85BDF241A9EF6EC6A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p>all,</p>
    <p> Replace all reciprocating parts with Denis Welch parts and the
      head too. Expensive? Yes. BUT, you will never want to get out of
      the car... Amazing transformation and it still looks dead stock..</p>
    <p>DaveP<br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/17/2016 12:32 PM, Michael Salter
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Robert,<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Although converting your car to
          a "Lemans" will undoubtedly increase its value IMHO original
          unmodified 100 are getting very hard to find which is a bit
          sad.<br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Whatever your decision I would
          implore you to take and share many photos of the original
          installation as details of such are becoming very hard to
          find. <br>
          <br>
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:comic sans
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <div class="gmail_extra"><br>
        <div class="gmail_quote">On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Robert
          Memler <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            <p dir="ltr">I have a 54 BN1  and am considering a
              conversion to a Lemans car. My car has 70,000 miles and as
              far as I know the engine has never been out of the car. I
              already have the Lemans carburetors and cold air box. I am
              considering  the cam shaft and flat top pistons
              conversion. I would appreciate all comments pro and con
              about what would and should happen.<br>
              TIA, Bob Memler </p>
            <br>
            _______________________________________________<br>
            Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/archive" rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/forums" rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            <br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
            <br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
            <br>
            <br>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
        <br>
        <br clear="all">
        <br>
        -- <br>
        <div class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div>
              <div dir="ltr"><i><font size="2"><span style="color:black">If
                      you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an
                      electrical problem.</span></font></i><br>
                <br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.porterbikes.com/">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------27EAC6B85BDF241A9EF6EC6A--

--===============4962701403632038732==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4962701403632038732==--

---

From: David Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:22:57 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2666582783099905653==
 boundary="------------6A2EDB3906155C14AB63FC3A"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------6A2EDB3906155C14AB63FC3A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

all,

DaveP
> //

--------------6A2EDB3906155C14AB63FC3A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
        <i><font size="2"><span style="color:black"></span></font></i><br>
              <div dir="ltr"><br>

--------------6A2EDB3906155C14AB63FC3A--

--===============2666582783099905653==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2666582783099905653==--

---

From: Henry Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:44:18 +0000

--===============6968204107608696022==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY1PR14MB0169C87ED076A9429CA5FB8390360CY1PR14MB0169namp_"

--_000_CY1PR14MB0169C87ED076A9429CA5FB8390360CY1PR14MB0169namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I will be unable to attend this time.

Henry Morrison

Sent from Outlook<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>

________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Austin Healey <=
[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2016 6:12 AM
To: Robert Memler
Cc: Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lemans conversion

With an engine with this sort of mileage one would expect some wear on the =
bores With new pistons and rings in the old bores, it is always a bit risky=
, as the new rings might nor bed in to seal. Safe solution would be to over=
bore the engine and use oversize pistons.
If I were You, considering that the engine is not burning oil, I would leav=
e the pistons untouched, and only change the camshaft, the carbs and fit th=
e cold air box.

Gergo

gmail.com>>:

I have a 54 BN1  and am considering a conversion to a Lemans car. My car ha=
s 70,000 miles and as far as I know the engine has never been out of the ca=
r. I already have the Lemans carburetors and cold air box. I am considering=
  the cam shaft and flat top pistons conversion. I would appreciate all com=
ments pro and con about what would and should happen.
TIA, Bob Memler

[email-masked]

--_000_CY1PR14MB0169C87ED076A9429CA5FB8390360CY1PR14MB0169namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>I will be unable to attend this time.</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>Henry Morrison<br>
</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<div id=3D"Signature">
<p>Sent from <a id=3D"LPNoLP" href=3D"http://aka.ms/weboutlook">Outlook</a>=
<br>
</p>
</div>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"width: 98%; display: inline-block;">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calib=
ri, sans-serif" style=3D"font-size: 11pt;"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Austin Healey &lt;pajtamuvek@gmail=
.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Sunday, July 17, 2016 6:12 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Robert Memler<br>
<b>Cc:</b> Healey List<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Lemans conversion</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">With an engine with this sort of mileage one would expect =
some wear on the bores With new pistons and rings in the old bores, it is a=
lways a bit risky, as the new rings might nor bed in to seal. Safe solution=
 would be to overbore the engine and
 use oversize pistons.
<div>If I were You, considering that the engine is not burning oil, I would=
 leave the pistons untouched, and only change the camshaft, the carbs and f=
it the cold air box.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Gergo</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br>
<div class=3D"gmail_quote">2016-07-16 22:27 GMT&#43;02:00 Robert Memler <sp=
an dir=3D"ltr">
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
m</a>&gt;</span>:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex; paddi=
ng-left: 1ex; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-left-width: 1px=
; border-left-style: solid;">
<p dir=3D"ltr">I have a 54 BN1&nbsp; and am considering a conversion to a L=
emans car. My car has 70,000 miles and as far as I know the engine has neve=
r been out of the car. I already have the Lemans carburetors and cold air b=
ox. I am considering&nbsp; the cam shaft and
 flat top pistons conversion. I would appreciate all comments pro and con a=
bout what would and should happen.<br>
TIA, Bob Memler </p>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
nk" rel=3D"noreferrer">
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" target=3D"_blank=
" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY1PR14MB0169C87ED076A9429CA5FB8390360CY1PR14MB0169namp_--

--===============6968204107608696022==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6968204107608696022==--

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:02:20 +0800

--===============3409372451321318210==

--001a113f033a7fde520537f1cc60

My only comment on this is with the BN1 gearbox, you will run a risk of
breaking it with the additional power.  I broke my original BN1 box shortly
after I put the carbs on it (about 200 miles after the conversion).  Others
have been more lucky than me, so sometimes the BN1 box is fine.  But, I'd
suggest a BN2 box conversion to be safe, or Toyota conversion if you go
that route.

> appreciate all comments pro and con about what would and should happen.

--001a113f033a7fde520537f1cc60
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">My only comment on this is with the BN1 gearbox, you will =
run a risk of breaking it with the additional power.=C2=A0 I broke my origi=
nal BN1 box shortly after I put the carbs on it (about 200 miles after the =
conversion).=C2=A0 Others have been more lucky than me, so sometimes the BN=
1 box is fine.=C2=A0 But, I&#39;d suggest a BN2 box conversion to be safe, =
or Toyota conversion if you go that route.<div><br></div><div><br></div><di=
v class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Jul 17, 2016=
 at 4:27 AM, Robert Memler <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rmemler@=
gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><bl=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #=
ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><p dir=3D"ltr">I have a 54 BN1=C2=A0 and am con=
sidering a conversion to a Lemans car. My car has 70,000 miles and as far a=
s I know the engine has never been out of the car. I already have the Leman=
s carburetors and cold air box. I am considering=C2=A0 the cam shaft and fl=
at top pistons conversion. I would appreciate all comments pro and con abou=
t what would and should happen.<br>
TIA, Bob Memler </p>
</blockquote></div><br></div></div>

--001a113f033a7fde520537f1cc60--

--===============3409372451321318210==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3409372451321318210==--