Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bj8 stuck heater valve

From: carroll phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:20:41 -0400 (EDT)

What happens usually is the small spring gets rusted with corrosion and 
expands making the already tight clearance tighter and old grease. I use 
a little heat from a propane torch on the valve body and it will help 
loosen the grease to turn easier.Apply some 50/50 acetone and automatic 
trans fluid. Next I use a pick and chip away at the corrosion until  the 
spring is free and can compress,you can tap the end as Michael suggested 
( I use a soft rubber hammer)   Usually they can be reused ,many Ive 
seen have been too rusted, small springs of the correct diameter can be 
found thru McMaster or internet. Now you can TRY and get the small 
cotter pin out ,if it breaks do not drill it out as the drill will 
wander away from the hard cotter pin and go into the softer brass. Use a 
small pair of pliers or small drift or nail and work one of the halves 
of the pin free, always came out after awhile if fiddling.Soak parts in 
carb cleaner ,  gently use fine 3M scuff pad on cone if needed, no 
coarse sandpaper. Lightly grease and assemble. New valves always leaked 
, save your originals. The valves can be indexed by sanding down the red 
/ black gasket till they seat vertically when screwed in to the block or 
if  radiator , to where the handle is conveniently oriented when closed.

Carroll
_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]