Subject: [Healeys] Fw: BJ8 Tacho Upgrade and Digital Speedos

From: "Roger Grace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 10:27:45 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============6796616538417529104==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_02AB_01D1DA95.B29163B0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_02AB_01D1DA95.B29163B0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Recently went to Wales to collect my stepper motor converted tacho. and =
now installed.
So far very good; nice bright red ignition led indicator and led back =
lights.
They also changed the face text from =E2=80=9Cpositive earth=E2=80=9D to =
negative =E2=80=93 nice touch.
Proper digital stepper motor (BTW Nisonger and others ? don't do this) =
so no more calibration or analog issues, or current pulses.  No =
mechanical hairspring type movement.
Input is from from the CB on the coil and a new wire has to be =
installed; a little sensitive to routing. I use a Pertronix.
No doubt they could also convert a mechanical tacho. to digital as well.

Now digital speedos.

There are 2 options.

The first, that I have ordered, is to cut the speedo. cable at a =
convenient spot and install a pulse transducer. My thinking is that this =
is preferable and easier than installing a magnetic type on the drive =
shaft.
They are building me a RVI instrument that will be near identical to the =
original Smiths with dished face, but with a LED display in place of the =
odo and trip.
This will have a modern digital stepper motor drive and hopefully be =
stable and accurate. High beam indicator as before. Easy, accurate =
calibration.
I have ordered this as MPH and so my plan, for driving in Canada will be =
to calibrate for 140 MPH as actually 140 kPH. This is easy to do and =
when in US will revert back to MPH. Only problem is that the total odo =
will be affected; may just use the trip to keep track or just stick with =
MPH.
Will report back after receipt.

Second option is to use an electronic digital cable drive to drive the =
original magnetic speedo with original odo. and trip, if preserving the =
original look is important. This also uses the same pulse transducer as =
per the LCD one. The pulses now drive a mini digital brushless dc motor =
in a separate box with electronic speed control. This box has a speedo =
cable output (usually short) so electronic scaling is easy but it is =
still a mechanical magnetic cup type drive. Hopefully, with no long =
cable and sable pulses the typical speedo blips etc will be eliminated. =
There is also some electronic filtering. This is the more expensive =
option and they insist they will only sell this option if you have the =
original speedo refurbished by them as well. This in the final stages of =
development and they have a large contract to fulfill in next 2 months, =
so realistically by Nov. time.

As I will still have my original speedo. so if not happy with the LCD =
above could resort to this solution.

rg

From: Roger Grace=20
Sent: Friday, May 6, 2016 8:33 AM
To: Healey List=20
Subject: BJ8 Tacho Upgrade

Seriously thinking of getting my moving coil tacho. upgraded to a modern =
stepper motor type movement, retaining the original face and case.
Speedy Cables in Wales offer this.
So, wondering (UK listers ?) if anyone has had this done and any =
comments about this type of conversion.
Are there perhaps any US companies that do this as well ?
Tkx
rg 
------=_NextPart_000_02AB_01D1DA95.B29163B0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV>Recently went to Wales to collect my stepper motor converted tacho. =
and now=20
installed.</DIV>
<DIV>So far very good; nice bright red ignition led indicator and led =
back=20
lights.</DIV>
<DIV>They also changed the face text from =E2=80=9Cpositive =
earth=E2=80=9D to negative =E2=80=93 nice=20
touch.</DIV>
<DIV>Proper digital stepper motor (BTW Nisonger and others ? don't do =
this) so=20
no more calibration or analog issues, or current pulses.&nbsp; No =
mechanical=20
hairspring type movement.</DIV>
<DIV>Input is from from the CB on the coil and a new wire has to be =
installed; a=20
little sensitive to routing. I use a Pertronix.</DIV>
<DIV>No doubt they could also convert a mechanical tacho. to digital as=20
well.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now digital speedos.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There are 2 options.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The first, that I have ordered, is to cut the speedo. cable at a =
convenient=20
spot and install a pulse transducer. My thinking is that this is =
preferable and=20
easier than installing a magnetic type on the drive shaft.</DIV>
<DIV>They are building me a RVI instrument that will be near identical =
to the=20
original Smiths with dished face, but with a LED display in place of the =
odo and=20
trip.</DIV>
<DIV>This will have a modern digital stepper motor drive and hopefully =
be stable=20
and accurate. High beam indicator as before. Easy, accurate =
calibration.</DIV>
<DIV>I have ordered this as MPH and so my plan, for driving in Canada =
will be to=20
calibrate for 140 MPH as actually 140 kPH. This is easy to do and when =
in US=20
will revert back to MPH. Only problem is that the total odo will be =
affected;=20
may just use the trip to keep track or just stick with MPH.</DIV>
<DIV>Will report back after receipt.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Second option is to use an electronic digital cable drive to drive =
the=20
original magnetic speedo with original odo. and trip, if preserving the =
original=20
look is important. This also uses the same pulse transducer as per the =
LCD one.=20
The pulses now drive a mini digital brushless dc motor in a separate box =
with=20
electronic speed control. This box has a speedo cable output (usually =
short) so=20
electronic scaling is easy but it is still a mechanical magnetic cup =
type drive.=20
Hopefully, with no long cable and sable pulses the typical speedo blips =
etc will=20
be eliminated. There is also some electronic filtering. This is the more =

expensive option and they insist they will only sell this option if you =
have the=20
original speedo refurbished by them as well. This in the final stages of =

development and they have a large contract to fulfill in next 2 months, =
so=20
realistically by Nov. time.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As I will still have my original speedo. so if not happy with the =
LCD above=20
could resort to this solution.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>rg</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><B>From:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Roger Grace</A> </DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, May 6, 2016 8:33 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Healey List</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> BJ8 Tacho Upgrade</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: =
#000000">
<DIV>Seriously thinking of getting my moving coil tacho. upgraded to a =
modern=20
stepper motor type movement, retaining the original face and case.</DIV>
<DIV>Speedy Cables in Wales offer this.</DIV>
<DIV>So, wondering (UK listers ?) if anyone has had this done and any =
comments=20
about this type of conversion.</DIV>
<DIV>Are there perhaps any US companies that do this as well ?</DIV>
<DIV>Tkx</DIV>
<DIV>rg=20
</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV><=
/DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></=
DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_02AB_01D1DA95.B29163B0--

--===============6796616538417529104==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============6796616538417529104==--