Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Hub

From: "Steve B. Gerow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 07:24:54 -0800

Your gasket measurements mirror my experience exactly. Also Tom Monaco of Tom's Toys told me he has replaced maybe 80 sets of rear bearings.

The simple answer is the Moss gasket is too thick and causes the bearings to not be properly clamped and hence they spin. I did the .004 bond paper gasket a year ago and it works properly. Some others just use a little silicone with the o-ring. The o-ring does all the sealing anyway.

-- 
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA
BN6 4 wheel discs

Bob Haskell wrote:

I am replacing the oil seal in one of the rear axle hubs in our '62
tri-carb.  The workshop manual states that the bearing spacer (ATC7569)
should sit proud of the hub and hub gasket 1 to 4 thousandths of an
inch.  After installing a new seal and re-installing the R&M bearing,
the spacer is flush with the hub.  The old gasket is 9 thousandths
thick; the new one is 12 thou.  So, it looks like I need to make a
thicker spacer.  Was a bit surprised to see that spacers with different
thicknesses weren't listed in the parts list.  Am I missing something?

The O-ring I got from Moss has to be stretched to fit in the slot.
Unless stretching the O-ring gives a necessary reduction in the
thickness, I'm going to fit a larger O-ring. A 91 mm ID with 4 mm
thickness fits well.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys