Subject: [Healeys] Swapping overdrive drain plugs

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 13:01:51 +0100 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D1FBAC.302590D0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D1FBAC.302590D0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0002_01D1FBAC.302590D0"

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01D1FBAC.302590D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

One for the more erudite gurus......

I have never been a great admirer of the so-called "2nd type" of overdrive
drain plug. You know the thing....big flat notched brass plug which replaced
the similar sized (+/-) brass plug with a hex on the bottom for eas(ier)
removal. And, yes, I've got the various tools to make the job bearable.

So.......if one looks at the parts book pages, attached, you'll see that
we're swapping the left hand plug for the right hand plug.

I have bought the necessary extra bits ..71, 72,73, 74 and 62 which, in the
"2nd type" lacks the threaded hole into which one screws 72.

I find that, when I get my socket in there in order to swap the unthreaded
62 for the threaded version, it is blocked by the pair of parts 63 & 64.

Question:-

if I undo 63 & 64, will - in the normal Tom & Jerry fashion - half the
overdrive land in my drip tray as a zillion little springs burst out and
cavort around the workshop floor???

Or, seems unlikely, will the assembly remain together and permit the
substitution???

It looks like one of those areas where one needs to tread with caution.
Being too gungho here could be a disaster in terms of time and effort.
.......I always expect the worst and am seldom let down in my expectations!!

Simon

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01D1FBAC.302590D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>One for =
the more erudite gurus......<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have =
never been a great admirer of the so-called &#8220;2nd type&#8221; of =
overdrive drain plug. You know the thing....big flat notched brass plug =
which replaced the similar sized (+/-) brass plug with a hex on the =
bottom for eas(ier) removal. And, yes, I&#8217;ve got the various tools =
to make the job bearable.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>So.......if =
one looks at the parts book pages, attached, you&#8217;ll see that =
we&#8217;re swapping the left hand plug for the right hand =
plug.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have bought the necessary =
extra bits ..71, 72,73, 74 and 62 which, in the &#8221;2<sup>nd</sup> =
type&#8221; lacks the threaded hole into which one screws =
72.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I find that, when I get my socket =
in there in order to swap the unthreaded 62 for the threaded version, it =
is blocked by the pair of parts 63 &amp; 64.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Question:-<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal> if I =
undo 63 &amp; 64, will - in the normal Tom &amp; Jerry fashion &#8211; =
half the overdrive land in my drip tray as a zillion little springs =
burst out and cavort around the workshop floor???<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Or, seems unlikely, will the assembly remain together =
and permit the substitution???<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>It =
looks like one of those areas where one needs to tread with caution. =
Being too gungho here could be a disaster in terms of time and effort. =
.......I always expect the worst and am seldom let down in my =
expectations!!<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0002_01D1FBAC.302590D0--

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D1FBAC.302590D0
	name="Parts manual overdrive pages.pdf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Parts manual overdrive pages.pdf"

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D1FBAC.302590D0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D1FBAC.302590D0--