Subject: Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey Sprite on EBay -

From: Jean Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 16:38:18 +0000

--===============1934860228993755766==
Content-Language: en-CA
	boundary="_000_BLUPR19MB021265FE9D1AE56A5A3F6F63D1EC0BLUPR19MB0212namp_"

--_000_BLUPR19MB021265FE9D1AE56A5A3F6F63D1EC0BLUPR19MB0212namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks Steven, glad I could help, it just so happened that this was a local=
 car and I just wish it would have been in better condition, it certainly w=
as a good runner but there were definitely some issues that would have appe=
ared fairly soon.

Jean

________________________________
From: Steven Kingsbury <[email-masked]>
Sent: August 26, 2016 3:36 PM
To: Jean Caron
Cc: AH Mail List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey Sprite on EBay -

Jean,
Even though I am not planning on buying this car, I wanted to say thank you=
 for your report. It's really nice to see what this community will do for o=
ne another and then go all the way to provide an unsolicited write up about=
 the status of a vehicle. I'd say that's going above and beyond. So again, =
thank you for what you've done here. I wanted you to know that it is truly =
appreciated.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598

On Aug 26, 2016, at 05:44 AM, Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotm=
ail.com> wrote:

I had the opportunity, last night, to view the 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite, w=
hite in colour for sale on EBay that is located in Winnipeg.

The owner is a friendly guy that is not trying to hide anything about the c=
ar. He was forthcoming about the shortcomings of the car and while the phot=
os on EBay look pretty decent, there are areas where issues would surface r=
ather quickly.

He told me that a previous owner attach a homemade floor on the driver side=
, over the original one that would be the portion in front of the outer cro=
ssmember. He said that this floor portion is "soft" read rusty.

The outer sills have not been replaced, just patched so likely a fair amoun=
t of rust is covered by paint right now. I noted on the inner fenders and i=
nside the bonnet a tar like substance that appears to have been painted ove=
r, not sure why this would not have been sanded and then these areas painte=
d and I did not ask why, to me it was obvious that this was either done qui=
ckly to sell the vehicle or a poor amateur job. The turnbuckles that would =
hold the top just behind the doors are missing on both sides, a small item =
but why would one not purchase something like that. Same goes for small rub=
ber items in the engine compartment that have simply not be replaced when r=
emoved.

It was getting dark when I looked at the car although the lights of the par=
king lot revealed that the paint applied was pretty patchy, the owner claim=
ed that it needed a good polish but I feel that the paint job was done in a=
 backyard.

The car ran fine but the owner said it is burning oil, so a rebuilt would n=
ot be too far off. He also said that he has a 1275cc engine that will be of=
fered for purchase to whoever wants to buy the car.

I am of the opinion that, although I did a very preliminary overall check o=
n this car, while it looks like a decent deal when just looking at the phot=
os, I believe that it hides a fair amount of rust and that whoever is consi=
dering purchasing this car would be prudent to really investigate it furthe=
r before spending the money asked.

Jean

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

[email-masked]

--_000_BLUPR19MB021265FE9D1AE56A5A3F6F63D1EC0BLUPR19MB0212namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>Thanks Steven, glad I could help, it just so happened that this was a lo=
cal car and I just wish it would have been in better condition, it certainl=
y was a good runner but there were definitely some issues that would have a=
ppeared fairly soon.</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>Jean<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size:11pt" face=
=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Steven Kingsbury &l=
t;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> August 26, 2016 3:36 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> Jean Caron<br>
<b>Cc:</b> AH Mail List<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey Sprite on EBay -</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>Jean,<br>
</div>
<div>Even though I am not planning on buying this car, I wanted to say than=
k you for your report. It's really nice to see what this community will do =
for one another and then go all the way to provide an unsolicited write up =
about the status of a vehicle. I'd
 say that's going above and beyond. So again, thank you for what you've don=
e here. I wanted you to know that it is truly appreciated.</div>
<div>Steven Kingsbury</div>
<div>BN1 #598&nbsp; <br>
</div>
<div><br>
On Aug 26, 2016, at 05:44 AM, Jean Caron &lt;vintage_roadster_restoration@h=
otmail.com&gt; wrote:<br>
<br>
<div>
<blockquote type=3D"cite">
<div class=3D"msg-quote" dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt; color:#000000; ba=
ckground-color:#ffffff; font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
<p>I had the opportunity, last night, to view the 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite=
, white in colour for sale on EBay that is located in Winnipeg.</p>
<p>The owner is a friendly guy that is not trying to hide anything about th=
e car. He was forthcoming about the shortcomings of the car and while the p=
hotos on EBay look pretty decent, there are areas where issues would surfac=
e rather quickly.</p>
<p>He told me that a previous owner attach a homemade floor on the driver s=
ide, over the original one that would be the portion in front of the outer =
crossmember. He said that this floor portion is &quot;soft&quot; read rusty=
.
<br>
</p>
<p>The outer sills have not been replaced, just patched so likely a fair am=
ount of rust is covered by paint right now. I noted on the inner fenders an=
d inside the bonnet a tar like substance that appears to have been painted =
over, not sure why this would not
 have been sanded and then these areas painted and I did not ask why, to me=
 it was obvious that this was either done quickly to sell the vehicle or a =
poor amateur job. The turnbuckles that would hold the top just behind the d=
oors are missing on both sides,
 a small item but why would one not purchase something like that. Same goes=
 for small rubber items in the engine compartment that have simply not be r=
eplaced when removed.</p>
<p>It was getting dark when I looked at the car although the lights of the =
parking lot revealed that the paint applied was pretty patchy, the owner cl=
aimed that it needed a good polish but I feel that the paint job was done i=
n a backyard.
<br>
</p>
<p>The car ran fine but the owner said it is burning oil, so a rebuilt woul=
d not be too far off. He also said that he has a 1275cc engine that will be=
 offered for purchase to whoever wants to buy the car.</p>
<p>I am of the opinion that, although I did a very preliminary overall chec=
k on this car, while it looks like a decent deal when just looking at the p=
hotos, I believe that it hides a fair amount of rust and that whoever is co=
nsidering purchasing this car would
 be prudent to really investigate it further before spending the money aske=
d. <br>
</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>Jean<br>
</p>
</div>
<div class=3D"_stretch"><span class=3D"body-text-content">_________________=
______________________________<br>
Support <a id=3D"LPlnk177497" href=3D"http://Team.Net">Team.Net</a> <a href=
=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archiv=
e</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</=
a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.tea=
m.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]=
m</a><br>
<br>
</span></div>
</div>
</blockquote>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BLUPR19MB021265FE9D1AE56A5A3F6F63D1EC0BLUPR19MB0212namp_--

--===============1934860228993755766==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1934860228993755766==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 21:47:30 +0000 (UTC)

--===============3311757191367173092==
	boundary="----=_Part_6445921_1793083286.1472248050023"

------=_Part_6445921_1793083286.1472248050023
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hear hear! 

Jean was a big help in our BN2/100M resto, too. 

Bob 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Steven Kingsbury" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Jean Caron" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "AH Mail List" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:36:33 AM 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey Sprite on EBay - 

Jean, 
Even though I am not planning on buying this car, I wanted to say thank you for your report. It's really nice to see what this community will do for one another and then go all the way to provide an unsolicited write up about the status of a vehicle. I'd say that's going above and beyond. So again, thank you for what you've done here. I wanted you to know that it is truly appreciated. 
Steven Kingsbury 
BN1 #598 

On Aug 26, 2016, at 05:44 AM, Jean Caron <[email-masked]> wrote: 

I had the opportunity, last night, to view the 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite, white in colour for sale on EBay that is located in Winnipeg. 

The owner is a friendly guy that is not trying to hide anything about the car. He was forthcoming about the shortcomings of the car and while the photos on EBay look pretty decent, there are areas where issues would surface rather quickly. 

He told me that a previous owner attach a homemade floor on the driver side, over the original one that would be the portion in front of the outer crossmember. He said that this floor portion is "soft" read rusty. 

The outer sills have not been replaced, just patched so likely a fair amount of rust is covered by paint right now. I noted on the inner fenders and inside the bonnet a tar like substance that appears to have been painted over, not sure why this would not have been sanded and then these areas painted and I did not ask why, to me it was obvious that this was either done quickly to sell the vehicle or a poor amateur job. The turnbuckles that would hold the top just behind the doors are missing on both sides, a small item but why would one not purchase something like that. Same goes for small rubber items in the engine compartment that have simply not be replaced when removed. 

It was getting dark when I looked at the car although the lights of the parking lot revealed that the paint applied was pretty patchy, the owner claimed that it needed a good polish but I feel that the paint job was done in a backyard. 

The car ran fine but the owner said it is burning oil, so a rebuilt would not be too far off. He also said that he has a 1275cc engine that will be offered for purchase to whoever wants to buy the car. 

I am of the opinion that, although I did a very preliminary overall check on this car, while it looks like a decent deal when just looking at the photos, I believe that it hides a fair amount of rust and that whoever is considering purchasing this car would be prudent to really investigate it further before spending the money asked. 

Jean 

------=_Part_6445921_1793083286.1472248050023
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div>Hear hear!<br></div><div><br></div><div>Jean was a big help in our=
 BN2/100M resto, too.</div><div><br></div><div>Bob</div><div><br></div><hr =
id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;=
text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;=
"><b>From: </b>"Steven Kingsbury" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br=
><b>To: </b>"Jean Caron" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<b=
r><b>Cc: </b>"AH Mail List" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>=
Friday, August 26, 2016 8:36:33 AM<br><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys] Austin-=
Healey Sprite on EBay &nbsp;-<br><div><br></div><div>Jean,<br></div><div>Ev=
en though I am not planning on buying this car, I wanted to say thank you f=
or your report. It's really nice to see what this community will do for one=
 another and then go all the way to provide an unsolicited write up about t=
he status of a vehicle. I'd say that's going above and beyond. So again, th=
ank you for what you've done here. I wanted you to know that it is truly ap=
preciated.</div><div>Steven Kingsbury</div><div>BN1 #598&nbsp; <br></div><d=
iv><br>On Aug 26, 2016, at 05:44 AM, Jean Caron &lt;vintage_roadster_restor=
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><div><br></div><div><blockquote><div class=
=3D"msg-quote" dir=3D"ltr"><div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-s=
ize: 12pt; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-family: Calibri,=
Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><p>I had the opportunity, last night, to view =
the 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite, white in colour for sale on EBay that is loc=
ated in Winnipeg.</p><p>The owner is a friendly guy that is not trying to h=
ide anything about the car. He was forthcoming about the shortcomings of th=
e car and while the photos on EBay look pretty decent, there are areas wher=
e issues would surface rather quickly.</p><p>He told me that a previous own=
er attach a homemade floor on the driver side, over the original one that w=
ould be the portion in front of the outer crossmember. He said that this fl=
oor portion is "soft" read rusty. <br></p><p>The outer sills have not been =
replaced, just patched so likely a fair amount of rust is covered by paint =
right now. I noted on the inner fenders and inside the bonnet a tar like su=
bstance that appears to have been painted over, not sure why this would not=
 have been sanded and then these areas painted and I did not ask why, to me=
 it was obvious that this was either done quickly to sell the vehicle or a =
poor amateur job. The turnbuckles that would hold the top just behind the d=
oors are missing on both sides, a small item but why would one not purchase=
 something like that. Same goes for small rubber items in the engine compar=
tment that have simply not be replaced when removed.</p><p>It was getting d=
ark when I looked at the car although the lights of the parking lot reveale=
d that the paint applied was pretty patchy, the owner claimed that it neede=
d a good polish but I feel that the paint job was done in a backyard. <br><=
/p><p>The car ran fine but the owner said it is burning oil, so a rebuilt w=
ould not be too far off. He also said that he has a 1275cc engine that will=
 be offered for purchase to whoever wants to buy the car.</p><p>I am of the=
 opinion that, although I did a very preliminary overall check on this car,=
 while it looks like a decent deal when just looking at the photos, I belie=
ve that it hides a fair amount of rust and that whoever is considering purc=
hasing this car would be prudent to really investigate it further before sp=
ending the money asked. <br></p><p><br></p><p>Jean<br></p></div><div class=
=3D"_stretch"><span class=3D"body-text-content"></span></div></div></blockq=
uote></div></div><div><br></div></div><div><br></div><style class=3D"existi=
ng-message-styles">.msg-quote P {margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;}
</style></div></body></html>
------=_Part_6445921_1793083286.1472248050023--

--===============3311757191367173092==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3311757191367173092==--