Subject: [Healeys] Spokes & Tubes

From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 11:16:02 -0700

Rich Kahn’s post and the following discussion about the HF tire changer began with his need to install inner tubes because of air loss and to replace broken spokes.
I’m curious to know how common those problems are among wire wheel owners.

I ask because after returning from a 1200 mile trip to Rendezvous earlier this summer I discovered a rear wheel with 15 consecutive broken spokes, a pretty frightening percentage on a 60-spoke wheel.  I bought the wheels new and they have about 12,000 miles on them.  Never raced or abused.  Needless to say, they are past the 3 year warranty period.

How common is the problem of broken spokes?
Thanks,
Charlie Frazer
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

ox.team.net

---

From: "rrengineer.mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 20:30:04 -0700

--===============8866548759013737848==

----_com.android.email_1662190859282850
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_1662190859282850
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_1662190859282850--

--===============8866548759013737848==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8866548759013737848==--

---

From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 20:32:52 -0700

--===============2398080980906985401==

--Apple-Mail=_7A497254-B9CC-4FBF-AB50-E8480B4B8036
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

They were built by Dayton.

On Sep 9, 2016, at 8:30 PM, rrengineer.mike <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

Who manufactured them?
Mike MacLean

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S=AE 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>=20
Date: 9/9/16 11:16 AM (GMT-08:00)=20
To: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>=20
Subject: [Healeys] Spokes & Tubes=20

Rich Kahn=92s post and the following discussion about the HF tire =
changer began with his need to install inner tubes because of air loss =
and to replace broken spokes.
I=92m curious to know how common those problems are among wire wheel =
owners.

I ask because after returning from a 1200 mile trip to Rendezvous =
earlier this summer I discovered a rear wheel with 15 consecutive broken =
spokes, a pretty frightening percentage on a 60-spoke wheel.  I bought =
the wheels new and they have about 12,000 miles on them.  Never raced or =
abused.  Needless to say, they are past the 3 year warranty period.

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_7A497254-B9CC-4FBF-AB50-E8480B4B8036
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">They =
were built by Dayton.<div><br><div><div>On Sep 9, 2016, at 8:30 PM, =
rrengineer.mike &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8"><div>
   =20
<div>Who manufactured them?</div><div>Mike =
MacLean</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div =
id=3D"composer_signature"><div style=3D"font-size:88%;color:#364f67" =
dir=3D"auto">Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S=AE 5, an AT&amp;T 4G LTE =
smartphone</div></div><br><br>-------- Original message =
--------<br>From: Charlie Frazer &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
<br>Date: 9/9/16  11:16 AM  (GMT-08:00) <br>To: Ahealey help &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
<br>Subject: [Healeys] Spokes &amp; Tubes <br><br>Rich Kahn=92s post and =
the following discussion about the HF tire changer began with his need =
to install inner tubes because of air loss and to replace broken =
spokes.<br>I=92m curious to know how common those problems are among =
wire wheel owners.<br><br>I ask because after returning from a 1200 mile =
trip to Rendezvous earlier this summer I discovered a rear wheel with 15 =
consecutive broken spokes, a pretty frightening percentage on a 60-spoke =
wheel.&nbsp; I bought the wheels new and they have about 12,000 miles on =
them.&nbsp; Never raced or abused.&nbsp; Needless to say, they are past =
the 3 year warranty period.<br><br>How common is the problem of broken =
spokes?<br>Thanks,<br>Charlie =
Frazer<br>_______________________________________________<br>Support <a =
href=3D"http://Team.Net">Team.Net</a> <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Fo=
rums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br><br>=
<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>http:=
//autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<br><=
br></div></div></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_7A497254-B9CC-4FBF-AB50-E8480B4B8036--

--===============2398080980906985401==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2398080980906985401==--

---

From: "rrengineer.mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 20:46:36 -0700

--===============8639320677894029688==

----_com.android.email_1668679461979860
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_1668679461979860
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_1668679461979860--

--===============8639320677894029688==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8639320677894029688==--

---

From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 20:50:03 -0700

--===============6281952450347852032==

--Apple-Mail=_2852956C-F03A-4EA1-ABC3-A492664969EF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

They were built about 10 years ago, I have been driving on them for =
about 6 years since I completed my restoration.

On Sep 9, 2016, at 8:46 PM, rrengineer.mike <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

Dayton supposed to be very good wores. How old are they?
Mike

-------- Original message --------
From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>=20
Date: 9/9/16 8:32 PM (GMT-08:00)=20
To: "rrengineer.mike" <[email-masked]>=20
Cc: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>=20
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spokes & Tubes=20

Who manufactured them?
Mike MacLean

-------- Original message --------
From: Charlie Frazer <[email-masked]>=20
Date: 9/9/16 11:16 AM (GMT-08:00)=20
To: Ahealey help <[email-masked]>=20
Subject: [Healeys] Spokes & Tubes=20

[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_2852956C-F03A-4EA1-ABC3-A492664969EF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">They =
were built about 10 years ago, I have been driving on them for about 6 =
years since I completed my restoration.<div><br><div><div>On Sep 9, =
2016, at 8:46 PM, rrengineer.mike &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8"><div>
   =20
<div>Dayton supposed to be very good wores. How old are =
they?</div><div>Mike</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><di=
v id=3D"composer_signature"><div style=3D"font-size:88%;color:#364f67" =
dir=3D"auto">Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S=AE 5, an AT&amp;T 4G LTE =
smartphone</div></div><br><br>-------- Original message =
--------<br>From: Charlie Frazer &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
<br>Date: 9/9/16  8:32 PM  (GMT-08:00) <br>To: "rrengineer.mike" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
<br>Cc: Ahealey help &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
<br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spokes &amp; Tubes <br><br>They were built by =
Dayton.<div><br><div><div>On Sep 9, 2016, at 8:30 PM, rrengineer.mike =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8"><div>
   =20
<div>Who manufactured them?</div><div>Mike =
MacLean</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div =
id=3D"composer_signature"><div style=3D"font-size:88%;color:#364f67" =
dir=3D"auto">Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S=AE 5, an AT&amp;T 4G LTE =
smartphone</div></div><br><br>-------- Original message =
--------<br>From: Charlie Frazer &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
<br>Date: 9/9/16  11:16 AM  (GMT-08:00) <br>To: Ahealey help &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
<br>Subject: [Healeys] Spokes &amp; Tubes <br><br>Rich Kahn=92s post and =
the following discussion about the HF tire changer began with his need =
to install inner tubes because of air loss and to replace broken =
spokes.<br>I=92m curious to know how common those problems are among =
wire wheel owners.<br><br>I ask because after returning from a 1200 mile =
trip to Rendezvous earlier this summer I discovered a rear wheel with 15 =
consecutive broken spokes, a pretty frightening percentage on a 60-spoke =
wheel.&nbsp; I bought the wheels new and they have about 12,000 miles on =
them.&nbsp; Never raced or abused.&nbsp; Needless to say, they are past =
the 3 year warranty period.<br><br>How common is the problem of broken =
spokes?<br>Thanks,<br>Charlie =
Frazer<br>_______________________________________________<br>Support <a =
href=3D"http://team.net/">Team.Net</a> <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Fo=
rums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br><br>=
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><a=
 =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<br><=
br></div></div></div><br></div></div></div></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_2852956C-F03A-4EA1-ABC3-A492664969EF--

--===============6281952450347852032==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6281952450347852032==--

---

From: "Roger Grace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 18:55:25 -0700

Yes me too.
Same story but about 5 spokes on RR.
I was told that it is usually the RR wheel ?
What wheel was your failure on ?
Much to my chagrin Dayton told me that with a AH 3000 we should be using 72 
and not 60 spokes.
Hendrix confirmed that Dayton had had a bad batch of brittle spokes a few
years back
Replaced the spokes and drove for a few months.
However, not wanting to struggle with this issue then bought 72 spokers from
MWS
rg

-----Original Message----- 
From: Charlie Frazer
Sent: Friday, September 9, 2016 11:16 AM
To: Ahealey help
Subject: [Healeys] Spokes & Tubes

Rich Kahn’s post and the following discussion about the HF tire changer
began with his need to install inner tubes because of air loss and to
replace broken spokes.
I’m curious to know how common those problems are among wire wheel owners.

I ask because after returning from a 1200 mile trip to Rendezvous earlier
this summer I discovered a rear wheel with 15 consecutive broken spokes, a
pretty frightening percentage on a 60-spoke wheel.  I bought the wheels new
and they have about 12,000 miles on them.  Never raced or abused.  Needless
to say, they are past the 3 year warranty period.

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.6201 / Virus Database: 4649/12976 - Release Date: 09/09/16 

[email-masked]

ox.team.net