Subject: [Healeys] steering box

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:58:59 -0700

Well, thanks to all who offered advice on my steering box.  I had to 
hunt to find the corn head grease, but cleverly pulled out my old grease 
gun and cleaned it out to put the cartridge in.  Guess what?  The grease 
gun was made before they thought of cartridges. Would not fit.  So off 
to FLAP to buy a new one, which worked fine.  With the zirc fitting on 
the end removed, the tip just fit in the hole and I filled it up.  Will 
check it again after some miles.  So far so good.

-- 
Mike

MGTD (long gone)
BN1 (long gone)
BN2-100M (gone but in good hands)
BJ8
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: "Simon Lachlan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:57:45 +0100

Thanks to all that replied re my steering box. Getting the gloop into those
things is usually the problem. However, in this instance, it was getting it
out. I gathered from your collective wisdom that the thing would not fall
into a thousand pieces and proceeded to prise the front plate a bit more and
a bit more. Voila....not a flood, but a satisfactory trickle that ran all
night. And it didn't quite go everywhere. Front plate's tightened up now and
the Corn Grease is in. Took practically the whole tube, just a little left.
(397g / 14oz tube) Pumping it in with a grease gun is a joy compared to my
previous efforts with a giant syringe and tube.
I'll have to test it out and then see what's going on inside the box. Maybe
squirt a little more in.
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Steve B.
Gerow
Sent: 23 September 2016 22:13
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering box

I don't think it will fly apart, but what worked for me was to substitute
two of the bolts on the front plate with longer bolts, then remove the two
other bolts. Gently pry the front plate and whatever shims loose and move
out  1/2" or so. Any fluid will then leak out without you losing any bits.
If no fluid, then well it's a British car and there's no fluid in there.

--
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA
BN6
Maker of most complete big Healey rear disc kit
_______________________________________________
$12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]