Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaking rear axle hub (BT7) following recent installation of new seal!

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 01:28:51 -0400

Phil,

I'm curious why you say there's no O-ring on this model.  What makes 
your hub different?

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 MkI registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

On 09/13/2016 05:55 PM, philip fish wrote:
> Hi all,
> 6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle
> which was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today
> everywhere was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage
> replaced the oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the
> paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the
> seal has completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?
>
> Phil
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Alan Seigrist <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:08:27 +0800

--===============8386781218256163289==

--001a114f07405a1de1053c72654e

Phil -

The hub seal works best when you use the original style thin paper gasket.
Often shops stick in thicker gaskets or put a bunch of silicone sealant on
it not understanding that the hub gasket itself is designed to seal only if
the five nuts holding the spline on the hub are properly torqued with a
thin gasket on the hub.  If the nuts start backing off, then you will get a
leak, it's meant to tell you to tighten the nuts up again.

thin gasket - proper torque - you won't have leaks.

Best,

Alan

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:55 AM, philip fish <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> 6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle which
> was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today everywhere was
> covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage replaced the oil
> seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the paper gasket. There
> is no O-ring on this model.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the seal
> has completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?
>
> Phil
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--001a114f07405a1de1053c72654e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Phil -<div><br></div><div>The hub seal works best when you=
 use the original style thin paper gasket.=C2=A0 Often shops stick in thick=
er gaskets or put a bunch of silicone sealant on it not understanding that =
the hub gasket itself is designed to seal only if the five nuts holding the=
 spline on the hub are properly torqued with a thin gasket on the hub.=C2=
=A0 If the nuts start backing off, then you will get a leak, it&#39;s meant=
 to tell you to tighten the nuts up again.</div><div><br></div><div>thin ga=
sket - proper torque - you won&#39;t have leaks.</div><div><br></div><div>B=
est,</div><div><br></div><div>Alan</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><b=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:55 AM, philip fish <=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_=
blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size=
:16px;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><div>Hi all,</div><div>6 months ago m=
y local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle=20
which was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today=20
everywhere was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage=20
replaced the oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the=20
paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.<br>
<br>
Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the seal h=
as completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?<br>
<br>
Phil =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0</div></div>
<br>______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>listinfo/healeys</a=
><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/<wbr>options/healeys/healey.nut@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a114f07405a1de1053c72654e--

--===============8386781218256163289==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8386781218256163289==--

---

From: Alan Bromfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:42:40 +0100

--===============7728076929155106489==

--001a11412394e69938053c748cb0

Just a wild guess. Did the seal go into the hub the right way round (lip
seal toward the bearing)? To go from a weep to a flood suggests the garage
may not be familiar with the seal direction.

Alan Bromfield

On 13 September 2016 at 22:55, philip fish <[email-masked]> wrote:

> options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--001a11412394e69938053c748cb0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Just a wild guess. Did the seal go into the hub the right =
way round (lip seal toward the bearing)? To go from a weep to a flood sugge=
sts the garage may not be familiar with the seal direction.</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_extra"><br clear=3D"all"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature" data=
-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Alan Bromfield</div><d=
iv><img src=3D"https://docs.google.com/uc?export=3Ddownload&amp;id=3D0B03pn=
d86m97tZWN6ZkhwMW5mbFU&amp;revid=3D0B03pnd86m97takFJZVdRS0hPWWdrdFVmMHVQNWI=
yN1ZacnVjPQ"><br></div></div></div></div>
<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 13 September 2016 at 22:55, philip fish <=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_=
blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size=
:16px;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><div>Hi all,</div><div>6 months ago m=
y local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle=20
which was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today=20
everywhere was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage=20
replaced the oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the=20
paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.<br>
<br>
Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the seal h=
as completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?<br>
<br>
Phil =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0</div></div>
<br>______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>listinfo/healeys</a=
><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/<wbr>options/healeys/bluehealey@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a11412394e69938053c748cb0--

--===============7728076929155106489==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7728076929155106489==--

---

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 12:23:16 +0100

--===============3502476452184794380==

--001a11467774aa2420053c75f432

Bob

If my memory serves me right there were three version of the rear hub on
big Healeys

The ones on BN2 had no 'O' ring. then there was a middle version with a
smaller diameter version fitted in a one sided groove and then the final
version that I guess you have with a full double sided groove for the ring

Best regards

On 14 September 2016 at 06:28, Bob Haskell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I'm curious why you say there's no O-ring on this model.  What makes your
> hub different?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Haskell
> AHCA 3000 MkI registrar
>> options/healeys/[email-masked]
>>
> options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Best wishes

John Harper

AHC UK 100 Register Secretary

--001a11467774aa2420053c75f432
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Bob<div><br></div><div>If my memory serves me right there =
were three version of the rear hub on big Healeys</div><div><br></div><div>=
The ones on BN2 had no &#39;O&#39; ring. then there was a middle version wi=
th a smaller diameter version fitted in a one sided groove and then the fin=
al version that I guess you have with a full double sided groove for the ri=
ng</div><div><br></div><div>Best regards</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_ext=
ra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 14 September 2016 at 06:28, Bob Haske=
ll <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=
=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex">Phil,<br>
<br>
I&#39;m curious why you say there&#39;s no O-ring on this model.=C2=A0 What=
 makes your hub different?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Bob Haskell<br>
AHCA 3000 MkI registrar<br>
<a href=3D"http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php" rel=3D"noreferrer" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.ciahc.org/registry_<wbr>3000mk1.php</a><br>
<br>
On 09/13/2016 05:55 PM, philip fish wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hi all,<br>
6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle<br>
which was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today<br>
everywhere was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage<br>
replaced the oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the<br>
paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.<br>
<br>
Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the<br>
seal has completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?<=
br>
<br>
Phil<br>
<br>
<br>
______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.htm<wbr>l</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>listinfo/healeys</a=
><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/healeys/rchaskell@eart<wbr>hlink.net</a><br=
<br>
</blockquote>
______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.htm<wbr>l</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>listinfo/healeys</a=
><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/healeys/ah100register@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br=
<br>
</blockquote></div><br><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div class=
=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Be=
st wishes<div><br></div><div>John Harper</div><div><br></div><div>AHC UK 10=
0 Register Secretary</div></div></div>
</div>

--001a11467774aa2420053c75f432--

--===============3502476452184794380==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3502476452184794380==--

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:19:20 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6911611019087573075==
 boundary="------------BB60A8F562EF9EA3668C3100"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------BB60A8F562EF9EA3668C3100
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I had the same problem on my Honda Prelude. Seals installed backwards do 
not seal very well.

Mike

Seattle

On 9/14/2016 2:42 AM, Alan Bromfield wrote:
> Just a wild guess. Did the seal go into the hub the right way round 
> (lip seal toward the bearing)? To go from a weep to a flood suggests 
> the garage may not be familiar with the seal direction.
>
> Alan Bromfield
>
>
> On 13 September 2016 at 22:55, philip fish <[email-masked] 
>
>     Hi all,
>     6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear
>     axle which was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off
>     today everywhere was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously
>     the garage replaced the oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub
>     lock washer and the paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.
>
>     Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume
>     the seal has completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto
>     the garage?
>
>     Phil
>
>     <http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys>
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]>
>
>
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 

--------------BB60A8F562EF9EA3668C3100
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p><font face="Tahoma">I had the same problem on my Honda Prelude. 
        Seals installed backwards do not seal very well.</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">Mike</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">Seattle</font><br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/14/2016 2:42 AM, Alan Bromfield
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">Just a wild guess. Did the seal go into the hub the
        right way round (lip seal toward the bearing)? To go from a weep
        to a flood suggests the garage may not be familiar with the seal
        direction.</div>
      <div class="gmail_extra"><br clear="all">
        <div>
          <div class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
            <div dir="ltr">
              <div>Alan Bromfield</div>
              <div><img moz-do-not-send="true"
src="https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&amp;id=0B03pnd86m97tZWN6ZkhwMW5mbFU&amp;revid=0B03pnd86m97takFJZVdRS0hPWWdrdFVmMHVQNWIyN1ZacnVjPQ"><br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
        <br>
        <div class="gmail_quote">On 13 September 2016 at 22:55, philip
          fish <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            <div
style="word-wrap:break-word;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:16px;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">
              <div>Hi all,</div>
              <div>6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the
                O/S rear axle which was weeping slowly. When I took the
                wheel and drum off today everywhere was covered in oil
                from a major leak. Previously the garage replaced the
                oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and
                the paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.<br>
                <br>
                Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong?
                I assume the seal has completely failed. Any helpful
                advice I can pass onto the garage?<br>
                <br>
                Phil       </div>
            </div>
            <br>
            ______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
            Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/archive" rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/forums" rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            <br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>listinfo/healeys</a><br>
            <br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/healeys/bluehealey@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br>
            <br>
            <br>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
        <br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 

</pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------BB60A8F562EF9EA3668C3100--

--===============6911611019087573075==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6911611019087573075==--

---

From: Richard Kahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:34:10 +0000

--===============4404210674994627772==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY1PR0801MB11156C47E45E8237DB414831A4F10CY1PR0801MB1115_"

--_000_CY1PR0801MB11156C47E45E8237DB414831A4F10CY1PR0801MB1115_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Ten plus years ago Dave Russel told me to cut the paper form a grocery bag =
in the shape of the old gasket. Just a little smear of sealant on both side=
s and it has not leaked in all those years.

Rich Kahn

________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Alan Seigrist <=
[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:08 AM
To: philip fish
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaking rear axle hub (BT7) following recent install=
ation of new seal!

Phil -

The hub seal works best when you use the original style thin paper gasket. =
 Often shops stick in thicker gaskets or put a bunch of silicone sealant on=
 it not understanding that the hub gasket itself is designed to seal only i=
f the five nuts holding the spline on the hub are properly torqued with a t=
hin gasket on the hub.  If the nuts start backing off, then you will get a =
leak, it's meant to tell you to tighten the nuts up again.

Best,

Alan

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:55 AM, philip fish <[email-masked]<mailt=
o:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi all,
6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle which w=
as weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today everywhere was =
covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage replaced the oil se=
al, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the paper gasket. There is=
 no O-ring on this model.

Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the seal h=
as completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?

Phil

[email-masked]

--_000_CY1PR0801MB11156C47E45E8237DB414831A4F10CY1PR0801MB1115_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>Ten plus years ago Dave Russel told me to cut the paper form a grocery b=
ag in the shape of the old gasket. Just a little smear of sealant on both s=
ides and it has not leaked in all those years.</p>
<p>Rich Kahn<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size:11pt" face=
=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Alan Seigrist &lt;healey.nut@gmail=
.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:08 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> philip fish<br>
<b>Cc:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Leaking rear axle hub (BT7) following recent =
installation of new seal!</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Phil -
<div><br>
</div>
<div>The hub seal works best when you use the original style thin paper gas=
ket.&nbsp; Often shops stick in thicker gaskets or put a bunch of silicone =
sealant on it not understanding that the hub gasket itself is designed to s=
eal only if the five nuts holding the
 spline on the hub are properly torqued with a thin gasket on the hub.&nbsp=
; If the nuts start backing off, then you will get a leak, it's meant to te=
ll you to tighten the nuts up again.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>thin gasket - proper torque - you won't have leaks.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Best,</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Alan</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br>
<div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:55 AM, philip fish <sp=
an dir=3D"ltr">
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">philipfish=
@waitrose.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex; border-left:1=
px #ccc solid; padding-left:1ex">
<div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word; color:rgb(0,0,0); font-size:16px; font-=
family:Calibri,sans-serif">
<div>Hi all,</div>
<div>6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle wh=
ich was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today everywhere=
 was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage replaced the o=
il seal, bearing, bearing spacer,
 hub lock washer and the paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.<br=
<br>
Phil &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
rer" target=3D"_blank">
><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/healeys/healey.nut@<wbr>gmail.co=
m</a><br>
<br>
<br>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY1PR0801MB11156C47E45E8237DB414831A4F10CY1PR0801MB1115_--

--===============4404210674994627772==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4404210674994627772==--

---

From: Larry Wendland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 12:41:56 -0400

Phil, First thing that come to mind is that they put the lip seal in backwards.

Larry
'67 BJ8

-----Original Message-----
From: philip fish <[email-masked]>
To: healeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Sep 14, 2016 6:50 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaking rear axle hub (BT7) following recent installation of new seal!

Hi all,
6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axlewhich was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off todayeverywhere was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garagereplaced the oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and thepaper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.

Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the seal has completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?

Phil       

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]