Subject: [Healeys] PCV Valve

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 18:22:43 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------B676741EA6933B4C19D62EB7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Got the engine out and the head off my BJ8 a couple weeks ago. Was 
anxious to see if the PCV valve I'd installed--the 'Nock' kit--had 
caused a gunk buildup like occurs in modern cars with PCVs, and was 
pleasantly surprised to find no buildup whatsoever on either the intake 
manifold or the head intake ports.  I attribute this to the 'kit;' in 
that it isn't a true PCV installation because it doesn't pull fresh, 
filtered air into the sump to be vented to the intake manifold like the 
modern installations do.  The kit pretty much seals up the sump, and the 
only 'fresh' air that gets in comes through the rear main seal, which 
had cut my oil loss in half (you can feel a vacuum if you put your hand 
over the oil filler hole at idle).  I think I installed the kit 8-10 
years ago, so there was 40-50K of mileage with the valve.

Photo of uncleaned intake manifold attached; the brass fitting on the 
left is the inlet port for the PCV.  Also, photo of release 'bearing' 
with approx. 110K miles.

Cheers,

Bob

--------------B676741EA6933B4C19D62EB7
 name="manifold.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="manifold.JPG"

--------------B676741EA6933B4C19D62EB7
 name="releasebearing.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="releasebearing.JPG"

--------------B676741EA6933B4C19D62EB7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--------------B676741EA6933B4C19D62EB7--